Random Image

shoulder strap child's purse

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharonE

Marilyn, since you have power of attorney, can't you sign for him? I really don't know, but a question for the attorney friend.

Darlene, I think we are all at the stage of wanting to declutter and give to our kids, etc.  I just went through my cabinets and got a few things out for the UMW's Octoberfest Shabby Chic shop. It is so hard to let things go that have memories attached.

I just got back from the FC and am wiped out. I have been hurting a lot today and didn't want to go but needed to.

If my posts are messed up, it's due to my computer. That's going to be my birthday present to me-a new computer!
Sharon

maryz

Marilyn, so glad you have an attorney friend to advise you.  An attorney can come to your house for Keith to sign papers. Mine came to my house last winter after I had had surgery. I needed to sign some papers and there was no way I could get to his office in a downtown building.
It never hurts to ask.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyn

Just found out kKeith will not be on Hospice after all. That was something bDr. craig was insisting on, but Keith's Alzheimert's isn't bad enough to qualify. bHe will have his surgery Oct. 23.

jane

Marilyn..I’m glad you got that straightened out.  I thought Hospice was for those who were deemed medically fragile and no more treatments, etc.  and life expectancy of 6 months or less.

84 here yesterday and 49 this morning.  Hard for old body to adjust.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I'm still not dressed, but do need to get out back to rake up some leaves.  I probably won't take them down to the leaf pile because I have bridge at 12:30 out at Merilin's house.  Bonney will pick me up sometime after 12:00.  I love my big oak trees but hate having to rake leaves and clean up the mess!

Sharon, good for you for getting to the fitness center.  I count my yard work as "fitness" so I don't try to get to the fitness center.  Since I'm still not driving and may never drive again, I will continue with the yard work at my own slow pace and hope that will take care of it.  I've lost a good bit of weight, am down to 121 pounds but fortunately most of my clothing still fits. 

Marilyn, I'm sorry that Keith's Alzheimer's is not severe enough for Hospice assistance.  I hope the surgery goes well and his condition improves.  You've had a "hard row to hoe" recently with your son's passing and Keith's situation.  At least Dr. Craig is around for advice and help.

Jane, we're expecting another day of low 90's temperatures.  I'm going outside shortly to rake up some leaves but won't stay out very long.  We usually have a frost by this time of year, but it's nothing but HOT, HOT, HOT here!

Mary, Tim comes by every Monday a.m. to see how my weekend went and always looks over any paperwork I have.  We keep a file of everything--and I don't file it until he looks at it.  He checks again on Friday.  I think I need to remind him that I need to send another payment to the IRS this month.  Yuck!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

Cottoncandy

Sue...don't know why..but had you in my mind to weigh more than 121...I weighed 130...until a year ago...have lost down to 118....don't know why...eat all the time....all my test...scans come back ok....I never weighed over that though unless I was pregnant.....but would sure like to gain back to 130.....have a good day..Darlene

SharonE

I should have your problem of getting to thin without trying, Darlene & Sue. Gaining weight easily runs in my family and watch it as I do, I can't begin to get down to where I should be, even with exercise. Sue, I'm sure your garden work qualifies as exercise for you. I couldn't begin to do all you do.

I got my hair cut this am and then went to the grocery, the library, and the ATM. Now, I need to go in and style my hair. I always have her do a wet cut only. Then I've got to eat lunch and then go to the eye doctor for a recheck on my eyes. I also have to put in a load of dark things and then I'll be done with laundry.

Marilyn, it is good K isn't considered terminal yet, but I know that Hospice would be a big help. Hang in there.

Hi Mary, Jane and all. Sharon

jane

I finally found my social security card and went over to the court house to see what else I needed for the gold star on the driver's license.  She looked over what I had and said I was good to go...and did I want to renew now.  I said, YES, so that's done and no need to go to Social Security office for a replacement card or get a marriage license.  She said the Passport covers the birth certificate and marriage license thing...so Passport, Social Security card, two pieces of mail with my name and addess, and a current driver's license.  WHEW!  Then back to the bank to return the passport and social security card to the safe deposit box.

Now, I'm hassling with a new WD passport external harddrive that appears defective.  I"ve been in email contact with WD...and have sent screen shots, etc.  I think Best Buy just needs to exchange this loser.  I just bought it Sept. 28.

Still chilly enough out there for long jeans, a turtleneck and a fleece jacket.   It sure beats the heat and humidity, though.

jane

Cottoncandy

Jane..what's gold star on driving license for? My passport is still good for awhile..my driving license is good for 2 more years...I wonder if I could renew that early...probably see better now than in 2 years...just a thought...Darlene

maryz

Same question as Darlene, jane.  Plusl do you have a special need for all those pieces of ID?

This week has been doctor week.  I saw the ENT guy Tuesday.  The vertigo at night when I get in the bed has returned.  He didn't order an Epley procedure which he had done before.  This time he wanted me to get some PT for balance training.  I agreed to that (since I know I need it anyway).
They called today to set it up - and I'm on for my first appt at 8 a.m. next Wednesday.  I'll get that changed to a bit later the next time.  Then today, I saw the rheumatologist.  Nothing special there, except some blood work and my flu shot.  But he keeps my NSAID prescriptions going for me, and I'll have a repeat bone scan when I go back in 6 months.

I hope all get good cards this week.  I haven't played so far this week - my regular duplicate partner is out of town.  The four-some plays here tonight.  They're nice gals, but not very good players.  Oh, well.

Happy intro to weekend, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

alpiner1

This afternoon Norm & I are going to get our flu shots .  I have had a cough so have been putting off getting the shot but it seems to be getting better .

jane

The Star is to make the license REAL ID compliant.  It's explained several places on the internet.  It seems to be helpful/necessary when flying.

TSA accepts alternative forms of identification, such as a passport, military ID or permanent-resident card. ... “Starting January 22, 2018, you will need a driver's license or ID from a state compliant with the Real ID Act, a state that has an extension for compliance or an alternate ID to fly.”Jan 4, 2017

I needed the passport, two pieces of mail, current license, social security card to get the star on the license. 

Darlene...here they wouldn't renew your license two years ahead.  After age 75 or so, the license here is only good for two years.  They renewed mine ahead because I'll be in TX when it expires.  We also need to have several weeks to now get the license from the state...you leave the office with a paper copy good for 30 days and your old license.  The new one...a plastic one...will come in the mail and have a gold star on the upper right.

Here's a link for Texas, Darlene...

Under the plan submitted to DHS, DPS will issue REAL ID compliant Driver License and Identification cards: REAL ID DL and ID cards - These cards will be marked with a star and can be used as the sole ID for domestic flights and to access federal buildings.
TxDPS - Federal Real ID Act - Texas DPS - Texas.gov
https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm

------------------------

TN it says is compliant

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/tennessee

------------------------------

jane

Good to get the shot, Alpiner. 

Ray got both his second shingles shot and his flu shot this morning. 

I'll get mine Saturday at the open clinic, I hope.

jane

maryz

Interesting, jane.  I've always just used my passport for ID when flying.  TN renews licenses on a "0" birthday, and when I turned 80, mine was renewed for 10 years.  I was amazed.  My passport was also renewed for 10 years.  Guess that should take care of my ID for the rest of my life.  ;D  I think our drivers' licenses are authorized.

The doc also told me I should get the new shingles shots, but that I'd need to go to the pharmacy.
I wish I didn't have to do it that way.  They always put the pharmacy/clinic at the very back corner of the store.  I know why they do that, but it still makes me angry.  Oh, well...

Marilyn

Mary Tai Chi for better balance would be fantastic for you. Want to move to Oregon and join my class?  :2funny:

Well My dr.  called and said Keith dons't qualify for hospice because his dementia is not severe enough. what? He has to be so far gone that he can only speak a few words and not able to carry on a conversation. As the day progresses he gets more confused, so by bedtime last night he was going  to the garage looking for his bedroom. I don't think Dr. Craig is going to be very pleased about that. I never did think he was ready for Hospice, but Craig kept insisting that he was and that my judgement  was flawed. (Not his exact words just paraphrased). I do think a cregiver will be required  in the not so distant future.

We will still have to make a trip to see and attorney to get my name on the deed with Keith's. So if he ever does get medicaid the state can't take the house for his care. I will be able to continue to live here and sell if I want to get into a smaller place.

SharonE

John and I got our REAL ID drivers license last month. John's old license expires this month. Mine was valid, but not for flying and my passport expired in March, so I had to get one to fly.  It's a hassle, but it's done now.

You can still use your passport to fly, but I don't like to and it is expensive to renew if you aren't planning to travel.

Jane, it's great that you guys are already getting your 2nd shingles shot. They won't be available around here till the end of the month. We want to get them too. We both have gotten our flu shot.

It's still about 90 degrees with high humidity here. I'm ready for fall.

The eye dr said it is my stigmatism that is messing with my vision, so they are making a pair of glasses for me that is supposed to help. MC pays for one pair after cataraft surgery.
Mary, I'm sure we all could use some balance PT. I had some with my knee, but I could use some more.l

I need to go fix dinner. Sharon

maryz

Marilyn, I'd LOVE to move to Oregon and be in your class.  My rheumatologist mentioned that this morning as something that might help.  A zillion years ago, I took an intro 6-week session, but never followed up with it.  I need to suggest that they start one here - maybe they could find an instructor.

Sharon, as far as I know the TN drivers' license is valid for flying. I've never heard otherwise.  Glad all your stuff is taken care of.

alpiner1

We didn't get the flu shot , they were out of the stronger shot for older people .

jane

Always something, Alpiner, it seems.

The monsoons have returned to Iowa...and we're off to Dbq in a bit...Ray has a doc appt at 11:00, we need to stop at Sam's Club for paper products, then a 1:00 with a new person who's our contact with the trust dept at the bank in Dbq.  We need to sign the forms for our RMDs for this year.

Have a good Friday.

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I'm dressed in somewhat presentable shorts and T-shirt for a trip to Kroger where I hope to get a flu shot and ask about another Shingles shot.  Tim should be here shortly.  It's just too hot to wear long pants or a dress out to Kroger, library, and the place we like to eat lunch.

I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, read the morning paper and looked over my grocery list.  If the shade comes around in the back yard later this afternoon, I may rake up more oak leaves and take them down to the leaf pile in my back yard.  I'll have a new bag of library books, so will probably start reading one, too.

Jane, I hope you can stay dry when you stop at Ray's doctor appointment, Sam's club, and the bank.  We've had lots of rain, too, but not as much as you've had this summer.  Our afternoon temperature is still up in the mid 90's, too, so I try to get anything I want to do outside done by 10:00 a.m.

Alpiner, hopefully the place where you get your flu shot will have one available on your next trip to your pharmacy.

Mary, I think you and other residents would enjoy having an exercise class at your residence.  And it could certainly give you an opportunity to improve your balance which is important to we Seniors who are concerned about falling as we grow older.  Could you start a petition with your friends there?

Sharon, I need to check my driver's license.  I don't think I'll ever drive again--at least not until I can get this brace off my right leg--but it's a nice ID to have and is accepted everywhere in Alabama.  So far I haven't received notice that I'd need to take another driver's test.  I hope your eye doctor finds a solution for you.

Marilyn, you have my sympathy.  I hope Dr. Craig will be able to help you get the help you need with Keith.  Keith could be a danger to himself while wandering around your home and yard.  You're both in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted.

I renewed my passport either last year or the year before, but haven't been able to travel anywhere since.  I think it's good for 6-8 years.  I keep it in my safe deposit box and haven't needed anything from it for a year or two, so don't really know.  I'd love to make another trip to Ireland, but doubt that will work out for me.  I have friends on The Isle of Mann and could probably see them if I could get back to Ireland.  We e-mail frequently but would love a visit. 

Tim just came in the kitchen door, so I'll shut off for now.

Sue

SharonE

Good morning, Gals. I've folded and hung all the clothes I washed (I was too tired last night) and straightened up a little after breakfast and dressing. I'm going to try to get to the FC today and then I will have to help John choose his clothes for the trip and then pack them up. (He's color blind, so I have to help in that department.) He also is hopeless at folding his shirts, etc for packing.

The dr. said my stigmatism is what is causing my problems, so we ordered a  pair of reading glasses. I hope that does the trick and lessens the eye strain.

I should go take Tai Chi classes. They have them here, but I just don't like taking classes and having to be somewhere at a certain time.

Sue, it is to be 91 here today and we have had very little rain since Florence. Enjoy your new books.

Jane, hope your trip to Dbq is a good one.

All for now. Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning.  I'm still sitting here in my P.J.'s but plan to dress soon and rake some more leaves before it gets unbearably hot.  I think we'll get up into the  90's again today.  I'm planning on watching football games most of the afternoon.

I'd planned on getting my flu shot yesterday at Kroger, but there was a waiting line of 3 people to get flu shots and we decided not to wait.  I'll call the Senior Friends to hopefully get a ride to Kroger on Tuesday or Wednesday a.m. for the flu shot and hopefully a hair cut at the Great Clips place near Kroger.  I need to call my G.P. to see if I need another Shingles shot.

Tim took me to the library for books to read this up-coming week, then to Kroger, back home to put away the groceries, and to Niffer's restaurant where we met Kris for lunch.  After lunch I raked up 2 trugs of leaves and put them on my leaf pile down at the back of my lot and started on one of my library books which I finished before lights out about 11:30. 

Other than that, I am planning a football watching marathon.  It's just too hot to stay outside much after 10:00 a.m.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

jane

Good Saturday morning....a dreary one here and rains to return.

I got over to the Urgent Care when it opened at 8:00 am for flu shots as well as urgent care.  The line was about 15 people deep, already.  Finally a supervisor came out and separated the sick people from the flu shot group and things seemed to move faster.  So, shot is done.  Nurse said flu season has started earlier this year.

We're planning on watching football too, but Ray's also making some bean soup for himself, and I'll tackle cleaning out the refrig when he's out of the kitchen.

Otherwise, laundry is in the machines, and it's time for a break.   :coolsmiley:

jane

SharonE

I helped John get packed last night and then got up at 4:15 am to drive him to his friend's to share her shuttle to the airport. I haven't heard from him yet, but he is probably waiting till he gets on board the ship to call. I was going to read my SS lesson this morning but discovered John had taken the book with him! Grr! Will have to see if they have an extra one at SS.

I don't have much planned for today. I've been so busy this week.

Sue, enjoy your games.

Jane, cleaning out the fridge doesn't sound like much fun, but I need to do that too.

Tomorow after church, I need to stop at Lowes to order something for the garage edging. Then I'm going to Publix to see if they make good cheesecakes. If so, I will order one to pick up next Saturday for John's Sunday birthday, his 80th. If they don't have good ones, I'll have to check around. I know the Cheesecake Factory would have them, but that is a long way from here. Maybe one of the nearby restaurants will have a good one.

Have a nice weekend, everyone. Sharon

Cottoncandy

Good morning..or I should say afternoon....when is the final vote on the Judge confirmation? I thought it was today......I reluctantly got my flu shot yesterday....I  got the flu last year...also had the shot....I was really sick...sure hope this one works better...have a great weekend Darlene

SharonE

Darlene, according to what I've read, last year's strain was worse and the shot not as effective. This year is supposed to be better. Let's hope so. John got his yesterday too. I got mine a couple weeks ago. Sharon

SharonE

Wow, where is everyone?

Our SS leader called me at 9 PM last night to ask me to teach today's lesson! I did half of it and the leader from another small class brought her class and taught the other half. We had 2 lessons today because of no SS last week.

After church I went to Lowes to get a couple things we needed and then to Publix. They don't have a cheesecake I want, so will have to look elsewhere.

Nothing else here. Hope everyone is out having fun. Sharon

maryz

Nothing going on around here.  My bridge partner is back home from her trip, so I'll be playing tomorrow evening.  Actually this is going to be a busy week - two appointments each on Monday and Wednesday, and one on Thursday.  Whew!   ;D

Good luck on your upcoming week, Buddies!

jane

Good Morning.  Thunderstorms going strong, and I was wide awake at 4:00 am.  So, at 4:30 got up and came downstairs for a chai tea to warm the tummy.  I also turned on the gas stove and warmed up the family room and listened to the rain and thunder.

Only thing for me today is waiting for the cable guy to come and replace one of the cable boxes.  The two of us having to deal with one tv over the long weekend was inconvenient, so I'll be glad to have both working again.  Ray loves old movies and I love sports...so two TVs are a must on the weekends, especially.

I suppose the river will be flooding the low area of W. Main again.  One little store gets hit everytime and they're redoing the place after the flood last week.  Concrete trucks were there yesterday, pouring more flooring, I guess.  I hope any flooding hits them again before they've replaced much.

jane

JeanneP

Such storms we hadSat. Sunday here.  I had to cancel carpet cleaning again. Set it up for Thursday but called again as the say stormed and only 53 deg that day. Now called them for Tuesday whenwillbe 83 deg.
I was going to do so much work around here this last 2 months but lost man that was supposed to do it. He has family problems. S will just do what I can. Got furnace all checked out. Porch roof fixed. So will forget rest until spring.
Was going to sell my Honda and buy another 2016 but now mine running good so will hold on that also. Found one ,but after seeing all the tax and other things coming to extra $1500 it turned me off. Also insurance up 700$  I don't put miles on a car anymore.
JeanneP