Random Image

AZ MAY 2004 (73).JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryz

Marilyn, glad Keith is getting the care he needs, and hopefully, you're getting some rest at home.

Sue, enjoy your day out with Tim.

I've just had my BP med increased.  Now I'll be taking Irbesartan 300 mg/12.5 HCT (increased from the 250 mg).  I've not had any side effects from either dosage.  The PC doc has ordered a carotid doppler, and that's to be done next Wednesday. 

I had an inch of rain in my gauge yesterday, and today is just cloudy and overcast.  It has cooled off considerably, and the trees are finally starting to show some color.  Lots of excitement in our area right now.  Pence was in North GA yesterday giving a campaign speech, and #45 and Pence will be in Chattanooga on Sunday for a campaign rally.  I'm managing to ignore it all.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Hi Gals.  My former cardiologist put me on Losartan as an adjunct med for my heart, but my BP is around 115-20/60-70, so I definitely didn't need it.  I had some sort of side effect and told him I wasn't going to take it. He got really huffy and told me some other things I did't like, so I changed doctors.  That was several years ago and I don't remember what side effect I had. I take Coreg (carvedilol) for my heart. It is a Beta blocker and so keeps my BP low.

Marilyn, I'm glad they were able to remove the breathing tube from K and that they are keeping him in the hospital till he is healed.  I just read an ad for a t-shirt that said "4 Paws = love"  I thought of you.

Jane, glad you're having a nice day. It is very dreary here and supposed to rain soon and for the rest of the day. It also rained last evening. Not sure how much though.

Mary, I hope the carotid scan results are good.  They are so non-specific though, that it's hard to know what's what. At least when I've had it.

Hi Joy. That is nice that you get your Rx's mailed to you.  Hope you are doing well.

I finally got all of last week's laundry caught up and now it's almost time to start on this week's!!  I got groceries yesterday, but not a lot else accomplished.

No plans today.  I slept so hard last night from all the stuff I've been doing this week, so today is mine!  Sharon

JeanneP

Just now getting over a horrible Cold. Was at a wedding in Missouri last weekend .came homeSunday and then sick until today. I don't feel to bad today and so will stop meds. I swear it seems likethishappens every year now starting 3 week as after taking flu shot.

We have had so much rain all week and so not been to store. Out of most things so will have to go today even though I don't feel like dressing up for it. Maybe the air outdoors will help.
My yard is now knee deep in leaves. My yard man of 38 years has sold all equipment and snow removal so will have to find a new one . He just turned 88. Will not be easy to replace.

Again I feel like I have not lost one pound even after not eating other than soup for 4 days.

My son in law (he was driver to wedding) got a call on car to say his brother had just passed away. We were half way home. Funeral is today but it's 40 miles away and so I will not be going..
He was 74 but was in the Vets hospital past 2 years.

JeanneP
JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

SharonE

Sorry you were sick and that the sil lost a brother. But at least you went to a wedding and that's upbeat!  Your picture is wonderful! Are the children great grands?     Sharon

Cottoncandy

Thanks Jane..and others that commented on B/p med.....I don't like the zombie feeling I get with the 5mg dose of Amlodipine 5mg...I don't think the Dr believed me when I voiced that to him...Ihave been taking 5mg..one day and 2.5mg the next day.....with that dose don't have the zombie feeling as bad....but will probably take try the Losartan he suggested....he said I could choose which one I wanted to take....the side effects are real.....Darlene

Marilyn

I take Nefedipine 30mg ER. At bedtime. Darlene if you took your meds at bed time would you still feel the same way. My Dr. recommends bedtime to take them.

Cottoncandy

Marlyin...never tried taking med at bed time...mabey I should...I have been taking it in morning...Dr just said take once Day...didn't specify am or pm...Darlene

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've had breakfast and read the paper--and have chosen which games I'll watch after lunch.  When I get dressed (I'm still sitting here in P.J.'s!) I'll go outside for some more pruning before the football games start.

Jeanne, I'm sorry for the death in your extended family.  I loved the picture of your great-grands!  I hope you can find a good replacement for your yard man.  Perhaps he could recommend someone?

Sharon, what are you planning for today?  I'm glad you're caught up on laundry and other chores.  Enjoy your day!

Darlene, I hope you can feel better with the new meds.  It's tough to take something and feel worse!  Have you discussed a change with the doctor?  Let us know how the new meds work out.

Mary, I just close my ears when I hear Pence and Trump speak.  I know it's really stupid on my part because it seems their supporters far out number those of us of a more liberal persuasion.  I am appalled at the ordering of so many troops to the Border! The next thing we hear will be accusations of murder against the soldiers who have been sent there to repulse the migrants.  I can't understand why the Republicans/White House don't understand that everyone living in America is either a present day immigrant or a descendant of immigrants.  My paternal ancestors were living on Cape Cod in 1623--two years after the Pilgrims!  Several of them later took boats to Pensacola and came up the Mississippi River to the Ohio and came east to Kentucky and West Virginia.  Good Grief!!!

Marilyn, I hope Keith has a good day and will continue to improve.  Hugs to you and prayers for you both.

Have a nice day Every Buddy.  May your teams win unless they are playing Auburn or South Carolina!
Sue

jane

Good Saturday greetings!

Marilyn…hope K is doing better and glad to hear they’re keeping him until he’s healed.

Jeanne..hope you feel better.  Great picture!

Sue and Mary…I am so tired of all the ads and lies of the politicians.  I’m hoping for big changes here in Iowa come Tuesday. 

Joy…good to see you.  I hope LSU is ready for  the AL tonight!  GEAUX TIGERS!! 😇

Sharon…glad your work is finished…rest up today.

We got up early for us and went to CR for the big Greek Orthodox Church bake sale.  We left with lots of stuff.  :😄.  The families there are mostly Lebanese and their food is wonderful.  The ladies bake all year long.  I asked one younger woman where they had so many freezers, and she said “ several of us” have restaurants and we freeze the pastries and meat pies.  She said her Aunts had been there since 4:30 am and they were making more meat “pies”…beef in a pastry …because they’d run out in the first hour they were open! They are open from 7:30am  to 1:00pm.  The parking lot was full at 8:30 and people leave with boxes of stuff.  The children help people carry boxes of food to their cars.  It’s really a whole family thing…men there, too, helping to bring out and resupply the tables or explain what various things are.

We then did some grocery shopping and headed home for a day watching football.  I stripped the bed and got the laundry finished up yesterday that I usually do on Saturday. 

We’re to have a rainy weekend, but only a few drops on the windshield while we were in CR.

Jane

jane

Rainy Sunday here, but I hope you all enjoyed the extra hour of sleep!

Have a blessed and peaceful Sunday in your part of the world.

Jane

joyous

Jane: Nobody is ever "ready" for Saban as was evident last night.  When he left LSU
he  parted with LSU friendships .  Our loss was certainly NOT a surprise

Joy

SharonE

Hi Gals, back from church, Lowes to get daffodil bulbs & HT for my med. Have a load of towels in the washer and will do the undies after.  Planning on getting my month's church articles written for the newspaper today as tomorrow may be busy. The roofer is supposed to come but there's a 30% chance of rain, landscapers still have 2 bushes to put in. I hope both get done tomorrow.  I also need to make reservations for John for NZ tomorrow. Have to call and talk to Tauck about what day to make them on since they are a day early? than us and the flight takes 24 hrs.  Taucks air tickets are almost $1000 more. Other than computer stuff, I didn't do anything yesterday.

Jane, the Greek Orthodox festival sounds wonderful. I love Greek food & pastries. I presume the Lebanese is similar. Our GO church in Charlotte also has a festival, but it is always the week that John has a tournament and parking is awful, so have never been.  We had a dreary day yesterday though no rain. It's sunny today but about 60 and that is chilly for me. I didn't wear anything other than a sweater. Needed my light rainncoat too.

Hi to Sue. I see AU won and OSU for Jane. I didn't watch any. Hi to Marilyn, Jeanne, & Joy as well.

Have a nice day everyone and stay warm! Sharon

jane

Sharon..I'd love to see NZ and Australia, but that long flight means it won't happen.  How long will John be gone?

It's rained all day and is windy and cold.  Good November day to be inside.

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've been putzin' around this morning and have finally cleaned up the kitchen and dressed for working outside.  I went outside to put my American flag up, thinking today was Veterans Day.  Then I realized the trash men had already been here, so brought the bin up to it's usual parking place. 

I had an e-mail from Tim last night reminding me of my visit with the doctor who did my heart surgery.  We're to go in tomorrow after lunch for a check-up.  Last year when I went for the check-up he had an emergency surgery when he was supposed to be at the clinic and we had to go back later.  My appointment tomorrow is at 1:30 and Tim will take me there and also to my polling place so that I can vote.  I hope this all works out as Tim really doesn't need to spend the time sitting in a waiting room when the doctor is late.  He (Tim) will take me to vote after the appointment.

We had more rain last night and I need to put on my rubber boots and go outside to do some more azalea pruning.  That is NOT my favorite job!

Marilyn, I hope Keith is feeling much better. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals.  It is grey and dreary here today with some light rain off and on. The roofers called and said they would be here at 1:00. Hope it is dry by then.  I have an appt with my primary dr. about my urinary problems. They are really getting aggravating. I was told to start drinking 64 ozs of water/day!! Do any of you drink that much?  I probably average 40 ish.

Sue, hope you get the azaleas pruned. Ours are the small encore ones, so not such a problem. Hope the Dr is on time and that everything is okay with your heart.  I know you will vote one way or another.  So will I. Our voting place is in the Lake House here, so no problem to get there.  I want to go at noon when I hope there won't be many in line.

Jane, I agree that the 24-hr. trip puts me off of NZ.  It was about that long to So Africa and about 19 to Seoul, so I'm done with that long of a trip.  John doesn't have the joint problems I have and though he doesn't look forward to the long trip, he thinks it's worth it.

Marilyn, how is K doing?  I hope he's improving daily.

Hi to Jeanne, Joy, Ginny.  Sharon

JeanneP

Still fighting this darn (What ever the bug is). I still think the flu shot they have given the past 3 years causes it. Dr. say no. But I have come down now for the past 3 years just about 21 days after the flu shot given.. Same length of time it stays and same systems. I had the flu 5 years ago and didn't feel much worse. May not get it next year just to see.

Jane. did you buy any of their beef pies. I wish I could remember my Grandmothers recipe. so good.  Always used a Hot water crust with lard. A little will not kill me.
They are saying that the rain we are having right now is going to turn to a light snow on Wednesday. I hated the hot summer but sure not ready for Winter...
JeanneP

Cottoncandy

Jane...just a quick question....do you have to watch your potassium intake when you take the Losartan potassium.?  Thanks Darlene

alpiner1

JeanneP     Did you finish taking all the meds for your cold ?   Was it a prescription ?  If so dr. has told me to take all of a drug .

maryz

Hi folks!  Happy Election-Day-Eve!  At least all the ads and robocalls will be over soon.
I certainly have gotten a lot of phone calls that I didn't answer.

It's been quiet here - as usual. We are due to get a very strong storm line come through during the early morning hours.  And then it's supposed to clear off.  Our local schools have delayed start in the morning, just to be sure the buses aren't running and kids aren't out in strong winds and rain. Guess Sharon will be getting it later in the day.  I haven't seen if it's going as far south as Sue. 

Got to play duplicate tonight - came in our usual middle.  But at least we did get a few good hands to play.

Sharon, is John's trip a bridge trip?  Or just "touristing"?  I don't blame you for not wanting to do the long trip - I'm with you on that.  But we did love our time in NZ.  We were there for three weeks two weeks on an Elderhostel and one week on our own, then one week in Australia. Some of our best memories. 

Enjoy any fall color you're getting to see.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

alpiner1

Cottoncandy    Everyone seems to react to meds differently . I have been taking  10 mg . of Amlodopine  for years & have never felt odd from taking it .

jane

Darlene...all my numbers came back in normal ranges, except the Sed rate and C Reactive Protein that showed the elevated inflammation I have from Polymyalgia Rheumatica...why I’m still on steroids...and decreasing slowly.

Sharon..yes, I drink that much.  I make my own iced tea and have a glass or cup of it or chai tea latte with me all the time.  We carry bottled water in the car at all times.  Do I visit the bathroom a lot? YES.  But, I feel good, and don’t have UTIs. Knock on wood.

Sue....I had no idea azaleas took so much care and pruning.  I’m sure they are beautiful.

Alpiner...hope you’re feeling better.

Jeanne...could you be allergic to something in the flu shot?

Mary...quiet is nice.  😀

Marilyn..hope things getting easier for you.

We voted early at the Court House since we never know what weather will be like here and I don’t like standing in lines. 

I’ll be listening to the returns tonight.  Just have a haircut today so another easy day.
Tomorrow is bridge day.  We have had to find a new place tp eat and play.  Golf Club is not opening kitchen until 3:00 for the winter...or maybe permanently...another new manager and losing $$$. 

Jane

Marilyn

Keith is not doing very well. The dr. told me his white count was up and she was ordering another Blood test. She also saw that is dementia is much worse.. I feel so  bad for him, being there in the hospital and not understanding where he is only that he is not at home. He may never get to be at home again.  He can't be left alone and his wound is going to take 3-6months to close. At the skilled nursing facilities they do no have people to sit with the patient 24-7. I don't know yet what we can do. If he gets an infection it will lead to his demise, He is DNR so it would mean comfort care only.The Dr. told me they have had to place people as faraway and Bend  Oregon which is a good 250 miles away in eastern Oregon.

It makes me so sad that he is  there in  the hospital  not understanding here he is and or why he has to stay there and not come home. All I can think about is how lonely he is. Yesterday he would open his eyes wide and look at me and ask me where all  his things are, he was so confused he wanted the keys to the Corvette and the house keys.

I feel so alone here without family. I don't see anyone, If I ask for help the same two men from church do what they can. The neighbors see that the yard needs  work but don't bother to finish what they started, leaving  leaves etc all over the lawn thaneeds mowing badly. I told him I would pay him to clean up the yard, mow etc, but he only pruned the Rhodies and left the small stuff on the lawn throwing away only the branches and large stuff over the  bank in the bank yard.

I am not doing well emotionally, not sleeping well since the time change.I feel so alone and sad. Freckles is a huge comfort to me she know something is not right, she snuggles so close to me and I  talk to her.

SharonE

Oh Marilyn, I feel so sad for you and Keith.  I wish I could help you, but I am praying for you both.  Bless Freckles for her love and comfort.

For whoever it was that said they they stopped their meds.  Alpiner was right in saying never to stop a prescription drug except on doctor's orders. If you stop an antibiotic early, your body builds resistance to the bacteria.  John, as a pharmacist, always preached that to all of us.

Mary, glad you got to play bridge last night and were at least in the middle.  John is going to NZ on a Tauck tour. No bridge this time.  Yes, we are to get a storm this afternoon.  I'm going over to vote about noon.

The painter came at 8:30 this morning to paint the leak spots on a couple ceilings.  Nothing serious, but unsightly. She has already put on the Kilz and will come back to paint over it.

I didn't get to sleep until 2:30 this AM, so 7:45 came awfully early.  I may have a hard time staying awake this afternoon.  I have some errands to run, but they will depend on how bad the rain is after I vote.

Jane, it seems that all golf clubs have trouble keeping chefs and dining areas running.  Ours certainly does. The golf course is not owned by the community or HOA.

Apparently, I have another UTI. I guess I will have to up the ante on my water intake. I couldn't drink that much tea because of the caffeine and its affect on my tremor.

Jeanne, I can't believe the flu shot is giving you the flu unless you are allergic to something in it.  Can you eat eggs? I have had a flu shot every year since they started making them and have never had a problem. I used to get the flu whenever it was a bad season.

Back later. Sharon

Cottoncandy

Hi Everone...hope election today goes well....I voted early...Sharon the last time I had a UTI..my Dr recommended Cystex..in liquid form..although it does come in pill form....it seemed to help me...as a preventive..I do drink a lot of water...u can buy it at CVS over counter...I started the new B/p med ..Losartan potassium today...I'm concerned on the potassium. Part...don't want to effect electrolytes/heart....any way...here goes...Marlyin sorry you and K are going through this ...prayers for strength..Hi to Mary Sue..Jeanne Alpiner..Jane..and others looking in...Darlene

maryz

Marilyn, my heart goes out to you.  Please know that you're not alone in cyberworld! I just wish we could be there in person for you.  {{{{{{Sharon & Keith}}}}}}

We had a couple of inches of rain at my place overnight, but now the sun is peeking out.  I saw some lightning once when I got up, but didn't hear any thunder or wind.  Unfortunately, there was a lot of damage near Margaret's place.  Not at her house, but Jesse's fiance's family had a lot of damage to their house, and I think they lost one or two horses when a barn was blown down.  I know they'll be assessing the damages now that it's daylight.

Sharon, I'll bet there is some bridge played on John's trip.  But I know he'll enjoy the tours.

jane, I'm glad we've finally gotten a good chef and food service now.  I hope it lasts for a while.

Staying on or stopping meds can certainly cause some problems.  I know, unless allergy is involved, you should never stop a med without consultation and without tapering off.  I always have my list of meds with me (in paper and on my phone), so any medical personnel knows what I'm taking. Sorry about the UTI, Sharon.  I take a cranberry pill twice a day to help prevent UTIs - and drink a lot of liquid, too (coffee and water).

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  My cleaning ladies (every 2 weeks) were here early this morning and were training a new girl.  She was shy, but I think she might be able to catch on and keep up as my ladies are good trainers and understanding as well as being able to direct her work.  She seems very young, so I hope she appreciates their advice.

Just as I was getting ready to shower my friend on the next street came by.  She didn't see me at the polling place and was ready to take me down there, but Tim had called to tell me that he will take me to see my cardiologist at 1:30 and then to vote, so I chatted with her for a bit and have then showered, shampooed, and dressed for the day.  She's the only other Democrat I know of here in Auburn!

Marilyn, I have both you, Keith, and his sons on my prayer list.  I hope and pray that his insurance will cover all his hospital expenses.  I'm glad you have Freckles as I'm sure she is a comfort.  All of us are praying for you both.

We don't have many candidates running, but I'm hoping the young lady who is opposing our Congressman wins.  He is a total loser.  I have written him many letters about things that concern me, especially my military pension.  He has his employees send me an answer, but the last time I received 2 replies in the same day.  One reply said he'd add his name to the bill and the other said he couldn't support the bill.  I seriously doubt that he'd read either bill!

Mary, we had more rain last night, but I'm not sure how much.  My rain gauge cracked during a freeze last spring and I haven't replaced it.  I'm sorry about the damage to Jesse's fiancée's family farm.  I haven't watched the weather channel this morning, so don't know of any large damage here.

Not much else to report this morning.  I see some sun peeking out and hope it stays that way the rest of the day!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy!
Sue

alpiner1

We are going to try to get our flu shots this afternoon . We need the stronger shot for older people . Last time we went they were out of it , was suppose to call us when it came in but didn't . I need to avoid getting sick , it really hits me hard & ended up in the hospital in February with pneumonia & a collapsed lung .

SharonE

Alpiner, you are right to go out and get it yourself without waiting for a call.  I need to check and see if they got the new shingles vaccine in at CVS. The told me it would be in the end of Oct.

They finished our roof repair and touch-up painting and then I went to vote (got right in at lunchtime), then picked up my med, dropped off shirts at the cleaners and then went to the computer guy with my printer that I thought was jammed, but it turned out that wasn't the problem.  Something just wasn't sitting right in it. All fixed and no charge. Then got home and ate lunch and haven't done much since.  John is supposed to vote on the way home from bridge, but sometimes he says that and then decides the line is too long or something and doesn't!  Makes me so mad when he doesn't and then is constantly talking about political situations.  GRRRR.

Sue, that was nice of your friend to stop by and offer to take you to vote.

Mary, I'm so sorry Margaret had damage to her farm and animals. How distressing!   We had a cell open up and absolutely deluge us for about 5 minutes; then the sun came out and we haven't had any more.

Darlene, hope the med works for you. I'm sure the dr. is aware of the potassium and will ck it when he does labs.

Our roofer was so nice. While he was on our roof, he noticed 2 shingles completely missing from the roof of one of my friends 2 doors down. She thought sure he was conning her until they went across the street where she could see them herself.  I do hope she has him repair the roof. He did't have to say anything and they could have gotten a serious leak.   

I have a pot roast in the oven with veggies around it. It's beginning to smell good.  On such a cold damp day, it sounds good to me.  Sharon

maryz

Sharon, it wasn't Margaret with the damage - none to her house/property.  The damage was to Jesse's fiancee's family's house and barn.  According to the news tonight, there was definitely a tornado that went through the area.  Scary!