Random Image

Butterfly and Flowers

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of May 8

Started by JoanFL, May 08, 2016, 04:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Good Morning Jackie
A sunny Island this morning.  Hope you have the same weather.

More of this lovely sun , it does as many say make our days a brighter day.

Enjoy your day.

Kelly

Kelly

So sorry to hear and read about the awful fires in Alberta.  Let's hope the fires can be extinguished as soon as possible.

What an awful time for the people with many losing their homes.  My thoughts are with the people of Alberta.

And thank you to the wonderful firefighters in Alberta and firefighters around the world who do a wonderful job for us all.

Kevin

Joy

Good morning, Joan and the other friends.  The strawberry pancakes sound so good.  I think I will fix an English muffin and some fresh cut-up strawberries.  Cute story about the water-gun.   

So nice to see the sun shining again.  Two days in a row, but they are calling for more rain this week.,

Sun, I am sorry that you are in so much pain with your hand.   Hopefully, it will ease up more and more each day.  Hope the results will be what you were hoping for

Thank you, Shirley, for the birthday greetings. I will still be celebrating today with some left-overs from my meals over the week end.

I hope every friend will have a great day.

Joy

BIG BOX

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Bright sunny day here....looks like we did have some frost over night though. I am off to quilting with the local group today, that will take in most of the day.

Sun, I hope your hand feels much better and your able to be pain free.

Kelly, good morning to you..

Joan, thank you for the delicious breakfast!!

Enjoy your day everyone..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Kelly.

Joy--Good morning.  Nice that you finally are getting some sunshine.  Enjoy those leftovers--that means you don't have to cook.:)

Good morning, Amy.  Enjoy that sunshine and also your quilting group.

Sun--I hope your hand heals quickly and that you will be pain free.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.
Sun relating your hand operation to my head knock I do deeply sympathize with you .take it easy . we have more time than money.
Amy enjoy your quilting luncheon group. we have high clouds and haze here. sorry you are still having Frost,but glad it is not still here I have lot of plants on deck seats. weather permitting today a friend is supposed to come over and set up my raised beds so i can get them set out. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Amy

Lloyd, you take it easy, I don't think bending over will be good for you so let your friend do it for you. 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Good Monday morning, the starting of a brand new week....

Yesterday evening around 7pm-ish my leg felt calmer and I felt confident to put a lead on our Benji and take a walk down our slope towards the bottom and the site managers office, then it was back uphill again to home, but I done it unaided (with my stick ) and without R.... ;)

Joy, no you didn't leave me out, not sure why I said that really as you thanked me the day before, sending  my apologies....

Lloyd Hammond, I have to agree with Amy, I would be careful bending your head until you get the all clear....

Angelface, I saw the photos of your new-found fur friend....I wish you both several happy, contented years and plenty of affectionate love from your Farrah...

Sandy, I will be one who will be on your complaining list come our Summer heat....I do not take kindly to our  heat waves, not that we get many.....

Lindancer, Gloria, what a caring and thoughtful neighbour you have, even if you don't like to be rude in turning her offer down due to her family conversations...I once found myself in a similar situation surrounded by Rs family one Christmas dinnertime, they reminisces of their days as young brothers and I felt my reminiscing was going on deaf ears as no one knew of my past family members...

Amy, bless you, you are a true natural when it comes down to fur friends......cat - dog sitting and nail clippings....you can come to my home anytime.... :)

Molly, you have sure ben suffering from headache pains for a long time...Its about time you, the medics get to the bottom of what is causing them, it is time for answers, good luck and persevere.... ;)

Sun, 4 hours seems a mighty long time to fix up your hand and arm, no wonder it has left you worn out....Sun go easy on the typing pad, we want to hear that that plaster bandage is off come Thursday....

Kelly, good morning, hope your dry warm weather is baring up.....Oh yes the terrible fires in Canada, not only I fear for the people, but the wildlife too....

Joan, " Water Pistol..." oh sweet revenge...
" There is no present like the time "

Kelly

Hi Amy
Thank you for the morning greeting

Enjoy your day

Kelly

Kelly

Good Morning Lloyd
You take it easy and rest if you can

Kelly 

Kelly

Hi Jackie
It is so sad to see people lose all the possessions in times when fire means they lose their homes.

Kelly

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  We had a temp of 38º overnight but it's supposed to get to the low 702 today with partly cloudy...or partly sunny...however one cares to see it.

I did get a bout of ambition last night and the living room and dining room are finished and will only need a lick and a promise come Wednesday.  I almost forgot that I have strawberries to clean (eat) and freeze.  I think I'll do that while Kiran is here.  I can stop in the middle of that and "come see this" when she gets excited. 

I'll be off to Wally World to greet my public at 9 a.m. so I will wish you all a happy day!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd. Please be careful when your friend is setting up your raised beds.

Vanilla-Jackie--Good Morning. That is TERRIFIC that you were able to take Benji for a walk all by yourself. :thumbup:

Good morning, Janie.  You're going to be totally worn up by the time you leave with all the w--- you are doing.  Maybe Kiran will help you clean the strawberries.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, I do like waking earlier than I have been lately. This is the first morning in over a week that we have sunshine.

MOLLY back in WW2 our troops went overseas and we were lucky to get any letters from them for months at a time.  I still remember how my Mother worried when not hearing from my brothers.

JUNE  I sure did not do much yesterday and was quite tired last night, slept good though.

HAL  glad you had a good nap after you and your wife got home yesterday. For me I had a good time Saturday with both sons here and yesterday a long chat on Skype with my daughter.  I have a beautiful bouquet sitting on my table and every time I walk by them I enjoy the sight and aroma of them.

SHIRLEY  I hope you stay safe from all those horrible storms out there.

SUN  so sorry your hand is hurting from the surgery. Just what was the operation for? Was it carpal tunnel or something else? Take care.

PATRICIA  Farrah is a beauty.  I still remember Beau and the things he could get into.

JOAN  are those strawberries in the pancakes or on top of them? Fussy me wants to know. Either way I'll enjoy them. Mom finally gets even with that Water Pistol. I sure chuckled with that one. Love the last paragraph in Food for Thought, so true. Thanks for today's goodies.

KELLY  good morning/ afternoon.

JOY  just saw on TV that by the end of the week we are in for more rain. I will enjoy this sunshine while it is here.

AMY  enjoy  your quilting today.

LLOYD  good morning. Talking with my son he wil have no apple crop this year. We had a warm February and everything started opening but then we had freezing temperatures and killed the blossoms. He is about ready to cut all the trees down.

JACKIE  I join you with summer heat and humidity.

JANE  have an easy day at WM.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone on another bright, sunny and soon to be very warm day here in South Carolina.  Yesterday Scott fixed a good lunch for us as his Mother's Day gift as well as giving his mother a nice box of Russell Stover chocolates and a card. 

This morning I have a doctor's appointment at 9:45 related to using my CPAP machine.  On the way I plan on stopping at Lowe's and returning one of my impatiens plants as it just isn't doing well like the other one.  This is the second one I will be returning but still have one left.  I hate having to do so as I liked having the two plants that looked alike in my two planters on either side of my porch.  The hanging baskets of flowers and the vegetables in the planters on the back patio are doing well.  At noon I will attend a meeting and that will be my getting out for the day.  Pat is up and plans on going to Aldi's fairly early this morning.

Patricia, that is a pretty name for your new cat.  It sounds like she is beginning to accept her new surroundings and being with you.  From what I hear and read it sounds like Venezuela is in great distress financially.

Molly, I don't remember you referring to your son with his given name before.  Nice that he brightened your Mother's Day with his presence.  We use our overhead fans the year round and have them in every room except the kitchen, bathrooms and closets.

Sun, glad the surgery is over for you and hope that each passing day reduces the pain.   

deAngel, so nice that your neighbors consider you one of the family and include you in special occasions like yesterday. 

JaneS, nice that the Fresh Air Kid remembered you on the special day.  Our Nigerian "grandson" called yesterday afternoon to wish Pat a Happy Mother's Day.  We hadn't heard from his for several months.  He graduates from High School in a couple of weeks and is planning on attending Georgia Southern University. 

Kelly, if I recall correctly there was a whole town of about 1600 people where all the buildings were burned down. 

Lloyd, nice of your friend to put in some of your garden for you.  Hope you are feeling better each day. 

Vanilla-Jackie

R just taken a phone-call.....our G-Plan 3 seater sofa is coming on Wednesday......this week...  :thumbup: we went to a good furniture store several weeks ago, tested so many sofas, picked a G-Plan sofa, not one of the cheapest but the comfort-ablest...told at the time it will take 12 or 10 weeks for delivery, seems it is arriving earlier, anyway I am one happy bunny....guess who will be grabbing the sofa?  R says they will call tomorrow with a 2 hour slot for delivery......

phyllis

Good morning to All.  The sun peeked out for a few minutes but has disappeared again.  We had sun all day yesterday and it was so nice to see.

Sun, I know how hard going through the hand surgery has been and it seems like the healing will never be over but, give it time and it will be good as new again.  Sorry it has been so painful for you.

I laughed at the Water Gun story, Joan.  When our grandsons were small we would give little, NOISY gifts to them and tell our son and daughter-in-law that it was "pay back time".  Revenge was sweet.   ;)

Jane, you will be so tired by the time you leave you will sleep all the way to Texas and maybe even sleep through the wedding.   ::)  Best wishes for a safe and happy trip.

And now I must be off to get breakfast and start the laundry.  Strawberry pancakes sound so good to me.  I'll pick up a plateful in the hidey hole.  Thanks, Joan.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  That's sad that your son won't have an apple crop this year due to a frost after blossoming.  He's put so much time and work (and I imagine money) into that orchard.  The strawberries are in the pancakes.

Larry--Good morning.  That was so thoughtful of Scott to cook a special meal for Pat yesterday.  It's too bad the one impatien doesn't seem to want to grow.

Vanilla-Jackie--Great that the sofa is going to arrive much earlier than expected.  Usually it's the other way around.

Phyllis--Good morning.  We did the same thing for gifts when our grandchildren were small.  We managed to always find noisy or messy gifts.:)

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

It is a grey overcast day here, looks like the sky could open any minute and give us a good soaking, but they say on a 30 percent chance.  Suppose to be this way most of this week.

Sun, Hope your hand gets better f a s t --------.  Hopefully the pain will subside soon.  At least it is done and over, just the healing now.

Lloyd, stay away from the machinery.   ;D

The link below is from the "Ottawa Citizen" and tells a story of generosity of Canadian to Canadian.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/inside+fort+mcmurray+scorched+earth+anyone+without/11905531/story.html

phyllis

Hal, thanks so much for that link to the Ottawa Citizen.  Uplifting to read of how so many fellow Canadians are jumping in to help.  Also, points up yet another incidence where our (U.S.) alarmist media typically blows everything completely out of proportion. 
phyllis
Cary,NC

angelface555

Hal, it is so nice to read about Canadians responses to those needing assistance and sometimes just support. I do agree with Phyllis's point as well. I still remember Canada's help and support going beyond what was needed with all the US planes left there waiting after 9/11.

JoanFL

halkel--Thanks for the link.  Sure is nice to read about Canadian's generosity.

Phyllis and angelface--Sure makes one wonder WHY the US isn't helping.

Kelly

Hi Larry
Was the town where all the buildings were burnt down in Alberta.

Kelly

June Drabek

Good mid-morning everyone. I am having a mixed up day today. Woke at 3 a.m., wide awake. So read till I got sleepy. Then before 7 there was a tapping on my door....I hadn't rang my bell saying all was well. Phooey !! We are supposed to ring around 7 o'clock. So dozed off till 8, and I am still sleepy. This will be a do-nothing day.....again.

Good to hear everyone reporting in.

Linedancer, I am so sorry about your hand surgery being so painful. I pray that you are able to take some pain medication. This too will pass, and in the meantime, a prayer is being said for God's quick healing. You need that hand to get around the house.

We are in low clouds again, sun should break through about noon time.

We received a new directory from Rowntree Gardens. Made just for our place here. Names and apt. #'s and phone #'s. Very helpful in learning who your neighbors are and where they can be located. Plus for all the heads of the various activities. The Quakers have a non profit organization, so it feels more "homey" than when owned by a huge conglomerate.

Time for me to make the bed, get dressed and get on with the day. One of R&R for sure.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

June--The system for checking on your well-being early in the morning sounds like a good one.  It's nice to have a directory so you know the residents and also management.

Vanilla-Jackie

Junedrabek, we received something on a similar basis...the parkhome site manage posted through our letterbox soon after we arrived with an up-to-date list of names, singles and couples and their home numbers, but not phone numbers, so we have some Idea as to who is whom...

Shirley

I posted this last night... looked at it & thought "too long" so deleted all but birthday wishes to Joy....  I was too tired to go through & trim down but decided anyone can whiz by without reading, this was MY week end & reason I haven't been in to visit. 
Molly, I've been fighting a "knock me to the floor" head & neck ache for about 2 weeks.  Kind of thought it might be stress with having house painters here & keeping outside things moved, windows cleaned as they work their way around.  Also invited my whole clan for Mother's Day breakfast (20 some, never did a head count), and "dress up dinner" in the middle of all this work.

I think I discovered the cause for my headaches,... I'd been sleeping on a tiny (not more than inch thick) foam pillow when sleeping on my side...  I had such a time convincing nurses & doctors when in the hospital that I did NOT use a pillow... so thought I'd try a tiny one when sleeping on my side.  Had a good talk with myself 'cause I was starting to fear the pain could be blood pressure & the fact that I don't take meds for my A-fib (nothing like a guilty conscience).  No pillow last night, no headache today.  Any sane person would agree that a pillow when laying on one's side would make the head level.... but doesn't work for me. 

This turned out to be the same week end for the Engineering Open House banquet.... had not planned to attend but my daughter found she was being honored with the Distinguished Engineer fellow for 2016 (big deal here) and turned out my gr-son that graduates next week end, received an award for his Senior project, Bio-Med Engineering.  (Is this not a proud/happy person?)

I got to meet a lot of people that I've heard the kids talk about for about 40 years.  One was delighted to tell me he was my daughter's teacher when she was having her first baby...(baby will be 40 in Nov), and we remarked that "she only took the Thanksgiving week end off to have him & get back for exams."  She worked hard all of her school years, and especially college while having & raising 2 children... (2 more came later).  I couldn't be prouder.   

After the banquet I came home to put the Crock Pot breakfast meal together. During the week I had fried the "pre-cooked" Hormel bacon & drained extra fat off, at least a pound & half, had fried & scrambled the pound of Italian sausage, peeled the casing from the Johnsonville smoked sausage sliced & cooked, so all I had to do was whip the dozen eggs & put in half of an 8 egg box of Egg Beaters... & layer all that with 2 cups of cheddar & 1 cup of spicy jack & a large bag of frozen hash browns, few other things.  I had also fried 2 large Texas thick loaves of French toast (another dozen eggs) & that was easy to reheat on a large grill when I put aluminum foil over.  The oven was full baking 3 cans of Grands biscuits.  Coffee, milk & juice or water rounded out the menu.  The 3 year old great grand noticed I didn't have gravy to go with the biscuits! 

One grand flew in from Seattle with her 8 month old baby & was leaving for the airport right after breakfast so I fixed her an egg sandwich to keep her tummy happy, (she has Crohn's), Aero-space engineer &  also graduated from Wichita State University.  Quite a week end for this old mother, gr-mother & gr-gr mother.    Nature is giving us a big show today & tonight, only rain here so far.   

So that's what I opted to do for my Mother's Day week end.... I wouldn't change a thing & don't hope to ever repeat all that activity.  Painters will be around most of next week, they are doing a fantastic job, got all the windows taken care of (part I dreaded most) and all the brick & trim on the back.  The cats are going crazy with strangers in THEIR pool area so they go out when painters come & won't come home until they leave.  They must be near because as soon as their vehicles leave the street the cats are standing at the door to come in. 

Must get to bed, hope all mothers had a wonderful day and chance to remember the years we were so busy raising our babies.  God Bless!  Oops, hear thunder & see lightning flashes.  Cats are probably in their hidey hole since I wasn't at the door to let them in.  Then never come home wet so have found some place safe.
Sun, I am so sorry to see how painful your surgery is.... big hugs and tender thoughts & prayers for you.

Lloyd, what can I say that every Friend hasn't already said.  Take care of yourself, no more risks.  I've had a few slaps on the head lately to make me stop & realize this old body "ain't what it used to be!"  Can't believe when out camping a couple weeks ago, thought a peanut butter & jelly sandwich sounded good & even got the Ritz crackers out finish up with peanut butter on them.... only I could NOT get the peanut butter jar open!  I tried every trick in the book but could not twist it off.... First thing I did when I got home was jump on Amazon & find an opener recommended by a friend... got it in 2 days & went straight to the RV!  You may have to give up the activities that get you in trouble & settle for things your body agrees with.

I would love to go on & on but will muzzle myself for now.  Like Gloria... good to be back!  And Gloria, I am SO sorry about your son's apple orchard.  I loved hearing about it & your photos when you helped.  Maybe if the trees can just take care of themselves in a few years the weather will get back to normal & he can have a good crop again, maybe... maybe.

June, in my opinion I've always thought the Quakers are the kindest, hardest working folks ever, makes sense their retirement homes would be top notch.  So nice to hear about all the blessings you are enjoying.

Jackie, glad you made the first dog walk without a problem, that the muscles get stronger each day. 

Shut up, Shirley   :crazy2:

JoanFL

Shirley--I thoroughly enjoyed reading about all that is going on in your life.  You certainly put me to shame with everything you do.

JaneS

She puts us ALL to shame!  I wish I had her energy!

JaneS

Forgot...I can't do the strawberries while Kiran is here because she's not coming today.  I've been promising her supper and McD. and today is the day.  Guess I'll have to do them when I get back.  But the front of the house....Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, Entry and half the hall are spiffy!  I'm getting there!