Random Image

Cameo Image 4

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of July 3

Started by JoanFL, July 03, 2016, 05:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  Join me--it's Hot, hot, hot and humid here.  At least I don't have to water----the sprinkling system takes care of that.  You say you have to do some picking up.  Do you make a mess when your wife is away?:)

Larry--Good morning.  Thanks for the greeting and also the link.  I'll go to it when I am done here.  I am glad to hear Pat is feeling better.

Callie--Good morning and thank you.

Vanilla-Jackie--Hurrah.  So glad to read Benji didn't have a stroke and is doing so much better.  I'll continue my prayers for all of you.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

halkel

Joanie, not really a mess, just let things sit.  But I have everything put up, and robo will do the vacuuming shortly.  Handy little thing.  Not enough stuff in the dishwasher to run it, so will leave it till it gets more.

Watering is done for this morning.  I will start violating the law this afternoon by putting water on before "allowed", but the backyard will be shaded from the trees.

JoanFL

halkel--Good for you for cleaning things up before you wife returns home. Do you get fined if you get caught watering when it's not your designated time?

halkel

You can get fined for violating the water laws.  We even have water police.  And to insult us even more we just got a notice that if we put garbage in the recycle bin that we can be fined 25 dollars.  Nothing like regulations to keep the people in line.

JeanneP

We had rain all day yesterday and did not quit until 9am today the 4th. Usually across the highway on the night of the 3rd it is so loud with fireworks going off all the time. Strange as that Area is "Little Mexico" that is all that live over there. Love their fireworks.

Maybe today the Parade may be done without it raining.  Tonight they have a big Firework show. Don't know about it as saying more rain tonight.  I can see them from here but to far away to get the noise, thank goodness.
JeanneP

JaneS

I went out to go to the store to get jelly jars this morning and discovered that almost everyone in a four block area was participating in a community yard sale.  I don't know where my head has been for the last couple of weeks that I didn't hear about it.  I wouldn't have participated anyway but I might have walked around to see if their "junk" turned out to be my "treasure".  As it turns out, my across the street neighbor had a box of items for 10 cents and there was a lid in there that fits my big frying pan.  I've been looking for one and finally found one on Amazon that I was about to order for $29.00.  I bought his for 10 cents instead. 

And my next door neighbor had some very old wood knitting needles in her "free" box.  They're now residing in a tall vase in my curio cabinet.  I remember my mother having some wooden knitting needles that have been long gone forever.

I finally got my jars washed and in hot water and started sorting my blueberries to make jam and discovered that it takes two packets of certo and I only had one.....back to the store!  Then it was lunch time and then my "across the street neighbor called to tell me that the wind chimes she had out hadn't sold and would I like to have one.  I did!  So I made out pretty good.  A lid, some knitting needles and a wind chime all for 10 cents and a few smiles and some good will.

Now I've had lunch, gave the doggies a snack and fed myself and the blueberries are still waiting.  I better get going or it will be bed time.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

angelface555

:hb2:  :cheer: In the summer of 1776, when the Declaration was signed, the population of the nation is estimated to have been about 2.5 million. (Today the estimated population of the U.S. is 322.7 million.) One of the most widely held misconceptions about the Declaration of Independence is that it was signed on July 4, 1776.

In fact, independence was formally declared on July 2, 1776, a date that John Adams believed would be “the most memorable epocha in the history of America.” On July 4, 1776, Congress officially adopted the Declaration of Independence. However most delegates did not sign the document until August 2, 1776, according to the National Archives. :cheer: :balloons:

angelface555

Good morning from another misty, cloudy, rainy day from the Interior! I wonder what is going to happen to the big city-wide celebration and others more modest that have been planned?

Farrah has surprised me again. Some idiot has twice now shot off fireworks that you can only hear as the fog and mist predominate. Most people do not bother as the light, if not rainy as it is today, would be bright and sunny on a blue background! This is why we have our big fireworks celebrations in December, something this fool never got the memo for!

But back to Farrah, this is the second time loud noises never bothered her or even caught her attention more than a quick look to see if I was concerned. She is turning out fine.

Sandy

Quote from: halkel on July 04, 2016, 12:55:56 PM
You can get fined for violating the water laws.  We even have water police.  And to insult us even more we just got a notice that if we put garbage in the recycle bin that we can be fined 25 dollars.  Nothing like regulations to keep the people in line.

Who in their right mind would
put garbage a recycling bin???   
As garbage  can cause disease and Pestilence...   

"Pestilence"  is also one of the four Horseman
of the Apocalypse in the book of Revelation
(which is part of The Bible),  but of course,  you
all know that!   Don't  you?

$25 is a small price to pay for spreading and  infecting
humanity with possibly deadly disease.

Best we keep recycled items clean
and safe for those who have to handle it.

"Cleanliness is nest to Godliness",
or so that has been taught.

Sandy
:tissue:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Jeanne Lee

Today here in the norther New York State it's a perfect day for the Fourth of July - clear skies, bright sunshine, low himidity, temps in the 80's, no sign of rain or even clouds.  So a perfect 4-P day.   :2funny:

Photos
Picnics
Parades
Pyrotecnics

:roflBig:

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JoanFL

halkel--We cannot mix garbage and recycle stuff either.  If they catch you mixing them, they won't take the respective receptacle.

JeanneP--I'm going to watch the fireworks on TV.  No rain here, but too darned hot for me to go sit outside somewhere to see them.

angelface--Farrah certainly is becoming acclimated.

Sandy--You'd be surprised at the people who are too lazy to separate garbage and the recycle things. 

Jeanne Lee--Wonderful that all around you is perfect for the 4th.

June Drabek

Good Afternoon everyone. I just finished some breakfast and some lunch. This seems to be a lost day for me. I was in earlier and just too weary to post, so I am taking the day off. I was up in the middle of the night, adding coffee filters to my grocery order. Don't ask me why...I just woke up and realized I would be needing them, and fortunately we are enabled to do that. More and more I appreciate shopping on line.

Nothing newsworthy from here, so I will go back to bed and book and probably more needed sleep.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

halkel

Re recycle, cardboard boxes are recyclable, BUT, pizza boxes, if they have a grease spot on them are not.  Plastic bags are recyclable if you accumulate them and place them inside a bag the size of a "baseball", their phraseology.

And Sandy, once you place the container on the curb anyone can come by and place anything in it without you being aware.

Radioman34

Happy 4th to all my American brethren
I am enjoying a week's vacation in Collingwood Ontario

phyllis

Our town periodically will inspect recycle bins and if there is something in there that is not acceptable for recycling they will leave a little polite reminder the first time.....if it still happens then there is a fine.  Some people are just too lazy or inconsiderate to follow the rules and, IMO, deserve to be fined.  I live on a cul-de-sac in a "no outlet" neighborhood so we don't have cars driving by just to put illegal things in our recycle bins.  Can't imagine that anyone would do that here.  Is that really a problem in your neighborhood, Hal?   :o

We haven't had any fireworks here that I have heard.  But the weather hasn't been too good for being outdoors so that has probably kept the noise down.  And, also, the fact that it is illegal here, too, and pretty strictly enforced probably helps.  I love organized fireworks shows but I don't trust some clueless guy to know what he is doing and who won't injure anyone or set my house on fire. 

Laundry is done, folded and put away....vacuuming is done and dinner will be leftovers (mostly) so that is taken care of too.  It has been a productive day.

phyllis
Cary,NC

Sandy

What you need to do Hal, 
is strap on your six shooter and
go sit by the curb and watch and
see who is  contaminating
your recyclables....
:bash:

Problem solved!
(giggle)

Sandy
:lol:

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

Same laws on refuse apply here too....every Borough Council have their different rules as to what we can, or can not put inside out recycle bins, then we have our glass bottle bin, green bin for grass cuttings, (of which our area doesn't have, but we can have our garden waste collected if we pay for the service, but it wouldn't be worthwhile for us living within a parkhome site of maximum 40 homes, if no one else is Interested ....) but we do have a large council run tip that will take that....We also have a food waste bin to keep separate, we never had that at our old address but they did collect our garden waste for free, so its a bit of swings and roundabouts depending on each borough we live under..... Another stiff rule is that we must close the lid down, we cant have anything bulging out.....otherwise supposedly they can refuse to take the rubbish, or maybe get a fine....
" There is no present like the time "

JaneS

Lindancer

Beautiful Day

Joan, I plan to watch the show from Washington and Boston to night

Take care everyone, and hope you all had a great 4th. Mine was quite as always.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JoanFL

June--It's nice you can add to the grocery order you make out online.

halkel--I don't believe the garbage collectors are as strict here as where you are.

Phylllis--Twice since I lived here (that I know of) there have been recycle items added to mine at the curb.  We used to have open plastic receptacles so it was easy to glanced out the window and see the bin.  Now both garbage and recycle bins have lids.  The two times I saw my recycle bin had been added to it was liquor and beer bottles that got added.

Sandy--I can just picture halkel doing that.:)

Vanilla-Jackie--We can't have anything sticking out of our bins either.

Janie--Hurrah--the blueberry jam is done.  Did you have a sample?

Linedancer--I am going to try and see both fireworks shows, too.

JeanneP

JaneS.  Is your blueberry Jam a easy recipe. If so. can you put it over in the right Forum.

Homemaking.....
JeanneP

Sandy

When I lived in Port Townsend, Washington,
the recycling/ trash laws were something else.   
Port Townsend is on a Peninsula with a well
maintained dump,  and weekly trash pickup....
but very strict.  (one large trash bucket per house) 
When going to the dump they weigh your car  and
weigh it again when you leave,  and you pay for
the weight you leave behind.   

I will say that they had the most fabulous
"Good Will",  because people would rather
leave their stuff there then pay
to have it disposed of in the dump.   

They recycled everything, with many laws
governing how things were to be done.     

So I know how Hall feels.

Here in the city the trash is taken care of
by our landlords ...   so we don't recycle,
per se.    They dispose of what we toss
down to the dumpster.   (Through a very
small hole,  and we have to pay for large
items to be disposed of.   And it is not
cheap.

(I just like giving Hal a hard time!)
Sandy
:argue:

― Carl Sagan

Denver

:hb2:  A  HAPPY JULY 4th to all our
American Friends.   

My thought for today....

Remember this as you celebrate this weekend! The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it. American Soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them.

We have enjoyed the day.  Son Mark and gal friend, Megan stopped by for a visit.  We talked on Face Time with our Austin son and DIL.  They are laying low today as it is to be very hot there.  Pictures and texts coming in from our family that is visiting in Lake Oswego, Oregon.  They are enjoying being with all their friends. Oldest Son Kurt, and the boys are enjoying festivities in Vail, but mama is on a plane to Germany so she is not getting to celebrate with them. 

We attended a wonderful catered cookout in the community where  Dr. Dave and Family live.   Their HOA sponsors this every year and it is always a hit.  First class everything and we always enjoy it so much.  While we were there we had to feed the pets, then returned home to be with Granddog Lola.  We will try to watch some local fireworks tonight, but if we are too tired we will just stay home and enjoy the ones on TV. 

GLORIA and ANGELFACE, I really enjoyed both of the Jaqueline Lawson Cards SO MUCH.  They were both very enjoyable.  I always think of Norm on holidays as he never ever missed sending me a Lawson Card and I always looked forward to them.  I hope he is enjoying his 4th in Heaven.  Also enjoyed your informative information about the coming of Independence Day.  Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.

JACKIE, I am just over the moon with happiness as I read your post about Benji.  So happy that Dr. Jeremy was able to give you this blessed news.  I enjoyed seeing the article you shared.  I know you and R are going to sleep much better tonight after finding our this diagnosis.  HUGS.

I wish you all a safe rest of your day.....

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

halkel

Nope Joy, people putting things in our cans is not a problem, that I am aware of.  I just get tired of the powers to wanting to run every aspect of our life.

we have other pickups on a quarterly basis, brush and bulky items lor if out of cycle you can call and pay any fee for pickup.

as most of you know two old people generate little garbage.  and I normally put recycle out every other week.  I would do the same with garbage, except for smell.  I usually sprinkle a coffee can of kitty litter in the bottom on the can to Hold smell down.

June Drabek

I was in earlier, and lost my post, and didn't feel it was worth while to re-do it. I was siding with Hal about our various governments trying to lead us around by the nose. I never threw unwrapped garbage or animal waste in my trash barrel, I always wrapped it in newspaper or plastic bags. That way my trash barrels remained clean.

I had a nice surprise today. Gary and Dori popped in for a short visit. They brought me freshly made cupcakes. Dori frosted them with red, white, and blue icing, with sprinkles on to. They also took some to another woman that lives here, and is a member of their Church, then they were off to Newport Beach to have supper with friends, and more cupcakes to them. It  was so delightful to have even a short visit.

I have been home all day and will stay that way. We had no programs at all today, but plenty of fire crackers going on in neighboring dwellings. Have read almost a whole paper back novel, with naps along the way. Will have to think about what to heat up for supper. I'm sure not hungry.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Gloria

JOAN  I called Cox cable and they did something from there and got my TV working again. Still miss watching the Boston Pops though. If we are lucky they will show the fireworks. I started
watching the Pops when we got our first TV back in the 50's. My grandson said he can partition my hard drive and install my disk of Windows 7.I asked the tech who was here last week about that and he said it could be done. Will have to call and find out when he can come to do it. Would be OK if it is the day after 10 installs.  When that happens I will go to the Microsoft site to download it from there.

HAL  hope you didn't have too much of a mess to pick up before your wife gets home. Today was another great day weather wise. By Wednesday and Thursday the forecast says in the 90's.  Oh boy a grilled steak, have not had one in several years.

LARRY  thanks for the link. I copies it to send others. That is terrible. If I was in the market I sure would not buy another GM car. Just a few days ago 10 started downloading and I could see no way to stop it so I manually closed the computer. I dislike anything being forced on me.

JACKIE  now that is good news about Benji. I feel happy for you.

JANE  .10cents is better than $29. Looks like you were lucky you needed more jelly jars.

SANDY  we have big bins here, 2 for recycle and 4 for trash/garbage.  Those 4 are bigger ad the lids are heave. I have seen more than one person put their trash in the recycle. When I asked one lady why she put the trash in the wrong bin she told me it was easier. To me it was just lazy.

JEANNE LEE  like your 4 P's

JOAN  I heard quite a few fireworks last night before I was even dark. Wonder what tonight will be like. The last 2 years I sat at my bedroom window and had a good view of the rockets.

HAL  here, too, pizza boxes are trash. The thin plastic containers are trash, Ice cream containers are trash yet people put them in the recycle. Those bins had signs on them about what is not for recycle but people do not read them, they even have pictures in case someone cannot read English.

DON  glad you are enjoying a vacation away from home and chores.

PHYLLIS  small fireworks are legal her but no loud, flares or rockets are legal. This year with t being so dry and low humidity and windy on TV they have been warning about the danger of a spark causing fires. Only the professional firework shows are allowed and those are always in a wide open place. We have has some beautiful weather but it will end this week, in a couple of days forecast is for hot and humid again.

JANE  oh boy a piece of toast of an English muffin with some of that jam yummy. Last time I made jam was about 15 years ago, the wild black grapes, never knew the name of them. There are a lot of the vines near my son's home. Going to the orchard in September you could smell the grapes, between those and the apples in the orchard, who would need any perfume.

GLORIA de  I went online looking for the Boston Pops hoping I could watch it on my computer. No way does that happen.

JENNY  I love the JL cards.  I will go to the site every couple of months and get card lined up go be sent out.  Get an email every time she comes out with a new one.

I can hear fireworks but not able to see them from my window.  Have a good night everyone

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

halkel

I watched the PBS capital and then switched over to the Macy's fireworks, WOW, it was truly spectacular.  Went on for at least 45 minutes.  Four barges and with the USAF singing Sergeants and band.

JaneS

Well, God decided not to have fireworks around here tonight.  Just about the time they were starting and the doggies were hiding under the desk, it started to pour down rain.  All of a sudden, the fireworks were no more.  In this case a quick prayer for the doggies peace of mind was answered at precisely the right moment!  Thank you God!

I'm off to dreamland!  I had to wait for the doggies to dry off after I chased them out in the rain.  But we are on the way now.  So I will say Good Night Everyfriend!  Sleep well and wake to a happy tomorrow. God Bless Us Every One!

Beverly

We went out to dinner with several friends and neighbors and got home around 8:00. The only place we could get in was the Texas Roadhouse. It was packed. Some of the restaurants around here were closed.

Hal - I watched the Capitol fireworks, some from Orlando, FL, and then Macy's fireworks in New York. Like you, I thought Macy's were fantastic. Very moving with the patriotic music.

When we lived in New Jersey we went to Liberty Park (the New Jersey side) once and watched some of the New York City fireworks. It was nice but we enjoyed them much more sitting home in front of the TV. Our daughter went out on the river in a boat with some friends and said it was spectacular, but shortly after that they stopped allowing boats. Too many problems with injuries from the fallout. Also it was getting crowded.

We knew the trash collecting rules in this community when we moved here so it's never been a problem. We are not allowed trash cans or recycle bins on the curb (or anyplace outside). All trash has to be put out in an opaque bag and recyclables in a clear plastic bag.  They pick up trash Mon. and Thurs., recyclables on Monday and yard waste (in tall heavy paper bags) on Wednesday. Works for me!

Jackie - I was so happy to read your news about Benji this morning.

Time for bed.......I have bocce in the morning.

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's pecan waffles and bacon to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Painting Selection

At an art gallery, a woman and her 10 year old son were having a tough time choosing between two paintings. They finally chose and went with the autumn themed one.

"I see you prefer an autumn scene as opposed to a floral one," said the gallery owner, who happened to be nearby and witnessed the mother-son interaction.

"No," said the boy. "This painting is wider, so it'll cover the three holes I put in the wall."

Food For Thought

True Bread: An Allegory
(Author Unknown)

A beggar came and sat before me. "I want bread," he said.

"How wise you are," I assured him. "Bread is what you need. And you have come to the right bakery." So I pulled my cookbook down from my shelf and began to tell him all I knew about bread.

I spoke of flour and wheat, of grain and barley. My knowledge impressed even me as I cited the measurements and recipe. When I looked up, I was surprised to see he wasn't smiling. "I just want bread," he said.

"How wise you are," I applauded his choice. "Follow me, and I'll show you our bakery." Down the hallowed halls I guided him, pausing to point out the rooms where the dough is prepared and the ovens where the bread is baked.

"No one has such facilities. We have bread for every need. But here is the best part," I proclaimed as I pushed open two swinging doors. "This is our room of inspiration." I knew he was moved as we stepped into the auditorium full of stained-glass windows.

The beggar didn't speak. I understood his silence. With my arm around his shoulder, I whispered, "It overwhelms me as well." I then leaped to the podium and struck my favorite pose behind the lectern.

"People come from miles to hear me speak. Once a week, my workers gather, and I read to them the recipe from the cookbook of life."

By now the beggar had taken a seat on the front row. I knew what he wanted. "Would you like to hear me?"

"No," he said, "but I would like some bread."

"How wise you are," I replied. And I led him to the front door of the bakery.

"What I have to say next is very important," I told him as we stood outside.

"Up and down this street you will find many bakeries. But take heed; they dont serve the true bread. I know of one who adds two spoons of salt rather than one. I know of another whose oven is three degrees too hot. They may call it bread," I warned, "but it's not according to the book."

The beggar turned and began walking away. "Don't you want bread?" I asked him.

He stopped, looked back at me, and shrugged, "I guess I lost my appetite."

I shook my head and returned to my office. "What a shame," I said to myself. "The world just isn't hungry for true bread anymore.”

Thought of the Day

“If you have no joy in your religion, there's a leak in your Christianity somewhere."

- Billy Sunday

:smitten: