Random Image

carshow4.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:56:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Callie, I never tried your method, but I would find the center and start there.  A couple of samplers were not even, but most turned out OK.  I never heard of your method and maybe I should have read more directions.  I did samplers back to my great-grandparents and they're all hanging on the walls (the samplers, not my great-grandparents)  .  I was running out of wall space when I quit, but it wasn't the wall space that made me quit; it was the lack of interest or maybe a new hobby!

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Mary Ann,  I should have said "find the center...". I think the directions for first sampler I did said to do one quarter at a time and I just kept on doing it that way. Several of mine have an extra row or two here and there.  :)

Never tried genealogy samplers but what a a lovely idea.

Don't remember where I got patterns for a set of 8 Christmas figures but made a set for the first great nephew.  If I'd realized that project would grow to include 2 more great nephews  5 great nieces, 2 granddaughters and 1 grandson, I might have reconsidered!!  :o
I drew the line at the next generation and haven't done any x-stitching since.

Mary Ann

Callie, my genealogy samplers were an interesting project and I'm glad I did them but I figured I had enough samplers.  They're all different, too.

Another tall ship has docked for the night at Algonac.  I think it is the Niagara.  They are down the walk from where the Picton Castle docked; on the other side of the ferry.

Mary Ann

Denver

Posting late.....I thought maybe I would have a chance to speak to Dave tonight after the children were asleep, but he did not call.

I was not able to talk to Dave tonight at dinner regarding details as the children were with us.  He called me just after a Michele had seen and talked to her oncologist this morning and said Michele was in good spirits and said she was told everything was pretty much as they thought it is, but there were a couple of details he would discuss with me later. 

I did talk to Michele a little bit.  She said the chemo is suppose to be helping to fight the cancer in her head, however it does not work well due to the veins being so small.  She will have another gamma knife procedure done ASAP.  She hopes before her next chemo in two weeks. She continues to be strong and determined to beat this nasty cancer. 

I thank you all again for your continued prayers and support and I will post more when I get a chance to speak to Dave.

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...it is hard on the children as they must know something is not right with mommy...children are more intelligent than we give them credit to be..
Jenny keep saying this mantra..." Michele will kick this c***r that is inside her head."....You are all facing a very stressful and very concerning test of your lives...I often wonder why we get put these tests, why we are given these tests in the first place..
I too am being put through the biggest test of my life...

I just love this quote that somebody on my caring bereavement forum posted about herself..

" I needed to be the caterpillar in its cocoon who needed to be left alone, hibernate and emerge as the butterfly when nature decided.."

Oh how i so want to be this butterfly..
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

Good Morning!

What a lovely thought, Jackie. I've felt that way on occasion.

Mary Ann, Niagara came into Algonac around 4pm, I think. It was very interesting to watch them prepare for docking. They dropped one of the skiffs to push against the ship to get it turned around, and in addition to the bladders and balls they dropped to protect the hull against the dock, they added long blocks of wood. All-in-all, they had an easier time getting docked than Picton Castle did. Did you notice that there were more people there watching the proceedings?

Denis Sullivan came off the lake this morning. According to MarineTraffic, she is just past Moorestown, Canada and is heading toward St. Clair. I guesstimate that she will be passing the Marine City cam somewhere around 7:15-7:30am EST.

I was never big on cross stitch, but I did do crewelwork, embroidery, and needlepoint. I stopped when my eyes got bad before the cataract surgery and never got back to it. I still do knitting and crochet on occasion. That is, when the cats don't try to help, and you all know by now how much Shan likes to help.  :)

Marilyne, I haven't tried hooking up my keyboard to connect with the internet on my SmartTV. I just use the apps that Sony provides, most of which I don't bother with. I mostly stick to Amazon Prime and YouTube. I don't pay to subscribe to Hulu or Netflix, etc., but there is a free needle-craft app that has some really great videos that are quite helpful. I've resorted to it several times, when written explanations and diagrams weren't sinking into my brain.

MarsGal

Hah! Just saw a comment from someone on the Port Huron StreamTime site. The poster has decided that computers and computerized devices are reincarnated cats and goes on to cite a few examples of why this is so. I wonder if that is why cats have such an affinity for computer keyboards.

I see I missed the Appledore V. It came off the lake sometime last evening, but I don't know where it is right now.

Vanilla-Jackie

MarsGal..
...thank you, am happy that you too agree......I am finding it comforting, and comforting and an understanding is what i am needing...

Marilyne

PAUL is arriving in Duluth . . . Canal Cam, in about 10 to 15 minutes!  Small crowd is gathering.   

CallieOK

MarsGal,  thanks for the "heads-up" re schooner docking at Algonac.  I rewound and watched it come in.

Marilyne, I'll have missed Paul coming into Duluth.  Am actually watching Port Huron and Algonac more now because of "extra activities".  I can see the Chat if I watch on my pc and am enjoying the banter as well as the information.

Wonder what they'd say if they knew some "ladies of a certain age" from across the USA are discussing the ships.  ;D

Jenny,  my heart aches for the children and I'm so glad you and Bob are there to be of support.  We found the hardest part of parenting was having an adult "child" with health issues and knowing we had no say in things.

Jackie,  good to see you posting some "positives".  Keep On Keeping On.

Today is supposed to be the last "scorcher"  (temperature above 100º and Heat Index around 112º ) for a while.  Unfortunately, the only thing the weather gurus can say is that it will be "less hot"...whatever that means.

Only had one reason to get out this morning and am home from that. Plenty of desk work to do....
Turn around, Callie and Get Busy!!!!   

Mary Ann

I've spent much of the morning watching the Niagara get ready to leave about 11 am.  Lots of people around to watch, then all of a sudden crew members came out of the woodwork to board ship.  They took off and went a short distance before they docked again, south of the ferry.  The ferry got in front of things twice which kept me from seeing a lot, but the Niagara stayed at the dock.  Everyone did not have the proper shoes because crew members slipped on the wet dock.  Someone said two people fell but I did not see that.  It is now just past 12:40 pm and the ship is taking off.  Also, the camera froze so we won't see the departure.  Another tall ship is ahead of where the Niagara was and it could be Denis Sullivan.  But earlier, a tall ship went to and through the part of the river where all ships enter and depart and I thought that was Denis.  So, if I wasn't confused before, I am now.  It's been interesting to see them moving around.  All of those ropes!  How do they keep them straight!  MarsGal, I think there were more people to view the docking of the Niagara because of the timing - I think. 

I have a couple of tomatoes on the counter and one looks as if it is ready to be eaten so that will be part of my lunch today.  Tom has just departed for his lunch with a long-time friend. 

Obviously, I missed Paul's arrival in Duluth, but I was pleasantly surprised to see him on the St Clair River a couple of days ago - very unexpected.

Jenny, I feel so bad for your family with Michele's cancer.  You waited so long for grandchildren, now you have everyone married, several grandchildren and everything set for a happy family.  And now Michele's illness.  Life is not fair sometimes, is it?

MarsGal, Kendrick cannot get on my computer keyboard because I am using a laptop and I would not allow him to share this keyboard with me.  Being he is not a lap cat, he does not try to get up to my lap or the keyboard.  That may be the only advantage of having a laptop. 

Time for lunch/brunch!

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, Denis docked behind Niagara below the ferry. It only stayed long enough to purge tanks and take on more fuel. Niagara moved up to the other side of the ferry to take on, it seems, fresh water. I have to wonder why the crew weren't wearing proper footwear for sailing to prevent slipping on wet decks. That is the first that part of the "wharf" has been above water for weeks. Of course, it is slippery. I saw one go down and another almost down; there will be a few bruises I bet. Good footage of the Niagara's deck, including the ship's bell. I had to go feed George's cats but got home early enough to see everything up to the local net freezing up. I missed the last bit of Denis docking so I replayed that part. Missed both Appledore IV and Appledore V coming downriver. I hear Erie will be the biggest tall ships festival. Hope there will be some footage.

My day so far, eat, feed cats, watch the tall ships, mess around on the computer. My sister thinks I am :idiot2: 

Now I am going to go do something useful, like wash dishes and finish rearranging the books that got displaced when I rearranged the shelves.

Vanilla-Jackie

I want to say a special thank you to those who boosted me up when i was posting my " negatives, Marilyne, MarsGal....and was NOT purposely ignoring nor shunning me, re, my cry's..."your responses meant so much to me.." you both have a caring heart..

Marilyne

JENNY - Looks like there is still lots of hope for Michele!  I had forgotten about the Gamma Knife procedure, which is a wonderful breakthrough, for treating brain tumors.  We will be praying for success, and holding her in our prayers.  So glad she is maintaining her positive attitude!  :thumbup:

I enjoyed seeing Paul, this morning, as I always do! Quite a crowd gathered, and all the usual "bells and whistles".  This afternoon Sandy is coming over, so I'll be involved in conversation, and probably won't see any more cams today.

MARSGAL - My cat Winnie, was also a computer keyboard kitty!  He would jump from the bed, to a table, to a desk, and then to the keyboard, where he would walk around, and finally lie down, (sprawl), across all the keys.  That was my older computer, and the keyboard was much longer and the keys were raised so that they made a clicking noise.  I don't think he would be interested in my new board, which is smaller and quiet. :-\ 

Joy

I am just getting around to posting a message.

I had to go down to the office this morning to sign papers for renewing my lease.  November is my renewal date, but they like to get started on the paperwork early.. The manager and I got to talking about cooking and recipes, so I was down there quite a while. But, that is done for the year, now.

Jackie,  I liked your little saying for FEAR of the Unknown.  Something to remember.  It does sound like you are getting along better. I know you still have some real hard decisions to make, but it all takes time.  I was thinking that maybe you could talk to your grandson to see if he could help you when you decide to move. He may not be comfortable bringing the subject up to you...... maybe would be very willing to help, if you mention it to him. I sure hope things will work out for the best for you.  I know how hard it is when you have to ask for help.

It is another very hot day with scattered storms predicted.  So far, we have not had much rain, even tho each day some places get hard storms.  It is supposed to be a little cooler by the weekend. I am hoping that I can go sit out a little later, when it cools off.  Our evenings have really been very pleasant.

I need to think about what to have for dinner.

Have a good rest of the day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy...
...bless you, thank you for not ignoring me or deserting me, whether posting " positives " or " negatives ".....Yes the fear of the unknown can be either exciting or scary or a mixture of both...we never know which way it will go, until we get there, wherever that is..

....my grandson is a very hard person to get hold of by phone...and baring in mind he is a 140 - 150 miles away...

I am confident that all will work out as it should be...

Joy, I came away from salads today, been living on salads... i went for a hot microwave meal with steamed vegetables for a change..

Mary Ann

It looks like it is too early in the morning for everyone. 

I stayed up until midnight so slept in later this morning.  I was having my so-called breakfast when Tom called up to me with what sounded like "there are 2000 floaters in the Duluth Harbor and going out soon".  I looked for floaters such as were in Port Huron earlier this week and did not see anything but I did see two freighters.  When Tom came up the stairs, I asked about the floaters and he said "there are two 1,000 footers in the Duluth Harbor".  I almost missed them because their camera quit for a few minutes and while I was trying to get back, the Mesabi Miner and American Century both left. 

Now I'll do my browsing on everything before I get back to ships.  It is a warm one to start out and my air will come on soon.

The last post before this one was Jackie about 4 pm yesterday.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Good morning, Mary Ann, and whoever is looking in this morning.  It is already 11:00 a.m. here and all I've accomplished is a very HOT morning walk, eating breakfast, and cleaning up the kitchen.  I think this is the first time I've posted in this forum.  I read your posts every day, but often have to get outside to walk before the temperature is unbearable.  My sister called me from Florida before I got outside and that took a good 45 minutes to catch up with her news.  And my walk was VERY HOT!

Have a nice day to everyone who reads this blog!
Sue

Marilyne

Mary Ann -  I noticed yesterday that Mesabi Miner, was due this morning, but I think it was too early for me?  I think the MM, is about the size of Paul, but not sure?  I sure is quiet around S&F lately.  Some of the regular posters haven't checked in for a couple of days, so seems lonesome around here! 

It's still nice weather here, so I plan to go out this afternoon, and visit a new Antique shop that opened this past month, in the town next to us.  I've been wanting to go, but the timing just hasn't been right, with so much going on.  Sandy was there over the weekend, and thought it was well done, and had a lot of stuff that we both like. (Dishes, linens, kitchen, pottery, etc.)  I don't know if AJ will go with me or not?  He likes to tag along, hoping to find old musical instruments, like trumpets, trombones, et al. 

Jackie - I had sent my daughter your saying about F-E-A-R, and she did like it, as I thought she would.  When she was here yesterday, we talked a lot about it, and it was a good conversation.

I'm not leaving until afternoon, so will probably be checking in, in hopes of seeing messages from some of our regulars,  that we haven't heard from in a few days.   

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior. Marilyne thought you might enjoy a wonderful youtube video of a parrot playing with poodle puppies I placed in Pets. Here is the link,  https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=160034

Mary Ann

Patricia, I watched the video in Pets and enjoyed it.  Such cute puppies and I'm surprised at the patience of the parrot.  Some animals and birds surprise us at times.

Sue, I'm glad to see your post.  I am sure you "know" all of the posters in this forum, so please come back again.  S&F needs all the people it can get.  It is warm here too.  I no longer take the walks I used to and I'm sorry, but my legs and back can't take it.  I think I used to walk at least a mile, maybe two miles, either here in our condo complex or across a busy road to an apartment complex and suburb.  I enjoyed the walks.

Marilyn, I wish I could join you antique shopping/looking.  Much of what I use here is "antique" but of no value, just old.  Still serviceable.  I am trying to convince my heirs that some of what I have will be of use to them, but the generation after Tom is already setting up housekeeping and by the time I'm gone, they won't need any of what I have.  And Tom prefers to use his own equipment - and I like to use my own.  Nevertheless, I like to browse old things to see what I have or we used to have that compares. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Thanks MaryAnn, another article I read today discussed putting calm dog breeds with orphan or neglected high stress cheetahs. The animal world is amazing and so complex!

Here is another complex animal, the human and the invention of a box that in doing nothing, captures and holds our attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kproPsch7i0&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=ce46389622-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_08_21_02_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-ce46389622-87090417

Amy

Patricia , found that interesting. How did they time it? Whoever thought that up  put a lot  into it!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

AMY - If you missed the first video (the parrot and the puppies), be sure to take a look. It's one of the most amazing animal videos I've ever seen. 

PATRICIA -Thanks for posting.  Sometimes I'm in too much of a hurry to stop and watch any video links.  However, all of these are worth a few minutes of anyone's time, and will leave you with a good feeling.

MARY ANN - It's only noon here, so we haven't left for the antique store yet. I'll have to be careful NOT to buy anything! Ha!

Mary Ann

Patricia, the box was interesting but I think someone had too much time on his/her hands.  I have to admit I watched through the second box, but then signed off.  I do waste a lot of time, but not by watching boxes opening and closing.  It reminded me of a kitten or child reacting to repetition.  I wonder what a psychologist or psychiatrist would say about me.

Keep 'em coming!

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn I hope you watched through the box hoisting the white flag! To me, the box represented the allure of finger games such as rock, paper, scissors or the card game, War.

The box in its two sizes of pinchers and white flag shown and what followed showed a seemingly native intelligence, which is what attracted me.

angelface555

Bubble and I are still playing around with PSP and I invite everyone to take a look. Bubble is truly creative and often doesn't get the credit she deserves not only in PSP but in everything she does for us!

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=160074

Mary Ann

Patricia, I watched two boxes and the first one had a small white flag. 

I tried to think about what fascinates me about the ships and while I enjoy seeing the close-ups so I can see the components of the ships, what I really enjoy is the scenery, knowing people live along the river.  Maybe the main attraction to me is that the St Clair River is a border for my state, even though most of the scenery I see is in Canada.  I realize not everyone is interested in the ships and the scenery.

Mary Ann[/b
]

Mary Ann

Patricia, I always look at the art work you ladies do, but I am not artistic at all and have no thoughts of trying to use PSP to do art.  I have an old version on an old computer and when I have to resize a picture, I go there.  That is my expertise with PSP.  I know what I like in art and it's realistic, not modern or abstract.

So, more power to you and Bubble and keep it up.  I'll look at it.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, it was the sneaky-quick jab after the flag showed that I found funny. I liked the ships but must confess that I too was more into the crowds or scenery. I posted different cams as that seemed to be what folks enjoyed.

Thanks for taking a look at one of our passions. Where Bubble enjoys doing tutorials, I enjoy blending various parts.