Random Image

Cameo Image 4

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:39:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. I don't know what happened here as had written a my beginning paragraphs that were rather long indicating I had a good nights sleep thanks to taking a benedril and Pat helping me sleep on my side by putting a pillow under my back.  I guess I had written too much explanation.  I did take my shower this morning as felt like doing it but by the time I got dressed I had spent most of energy so plan on taking it easy the rest of the day.  I was late getting to my office and just now finishing my breakfast and it will soon be time to rest and listen to last week's Church service.  I will probably watch some of the golf today if it isn't rain delayed again.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers and those who have filled mother's shoes. 

I am going to limit comments here today as it will soon be noon and I like to be done here in my office by then and like to post here in the mornings.

Marilyne, over 5 years ago I was hospitalized overnight due to extremely low sodium count.  At that time my cardiologist told me to eat more salt.  I think the energy drink and energy bar I am having with my breakfast should address the protein problem.  I think you would like the peaches and cream protein drink.  I am now getting the minimum 50 grams of protein every morning and the little I eat in the evening may add more depending what it is was have for our evening meal. 

Jackie, you expressed a lot of wisdom in your posting above.  We can never tell a person we love them too much. 

JeanneP, I am sure the farmers must be on pins and needles by not being able to work their fields and getting some of early planting done.  Your town should be a little quieter with the students out of school for the summer.  Do a lot of students come back for summer school?

Joan, keep that A/C in good condition as it sounds like you will need it. 

Mary Ann, I just bet Tom loves you as much as any son loves his mother and there is a special bond between mothers and sons.

Marilyne

Here is something I've saved in a folder on my desktop for many years.  Every time Mother's Day rolls around, I forget to post it, but this year I remembered!  I think it's really cute.

Answers given by 2nd grade school children to the following questions:

Why Did God Make Mothers?
 1.  Mostly to clean the house.
 2.  To help us out of there when we were getting born.

How did God make mothers?
 1.  He used dirt, just like for the rest of us.
 2.  Magic, plus super powers and a lot of stirring.
 3.  God made my mom just the same like he made me.  He just used bigger parts.

What ingredients are mothers made of?
 1.  God makes mothers out of clouds and angel hair and everything nice in the world, and one dab of mean.
 2.  They had to get their start from men's bones.  Then they mostly use string,  I think.

Why did God give you your mother, and not some other mom?
1.  We're related.
2.  God knew she likes me a lot more than other people's mom like me.

What kind of a little girl was your mom?
 1.  My mom has always been my mom and none of that other stuff.
 2.  I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess would be pretty bossy.
 3.  They say she used to be nice.

What did mom need to know about dad before she married him?
 1.  His last name.
 2.  She had to know his background. Like is he a crook? Does he get drunk on beer?
 3.  Does he make at least $800 a year?  Did he say NO to drugs and YES to chores?

Why did your mom marry your dad?
 1.  My dad makes the best spaghetti in the world.  And my mom eats a lot.
 2.  She got too old to do anything else with him.
 3.  My grandma says that mom didn't have her thinking cap on.

Who's the boss at your house?
 1.  Mom doesn't want to be boss, but she has to because dad's such a goof off.
 2.  Mom. You can tell by room inspection.  She sees the stuff under the bed.
 3.  I guess mom is, but only because she has a lot more to do than dad.

What's the difference between moms and dads?
 1.  Moms work at work and work at home, and dads just go to work at work.
 2.  Moms know how to talk to teachers without scaring them.
 3.  Dads are taller and stronger, but moms have all the real power 'cause that's who you got to ask if you want to sleep over at your friends.
 4.  Moms have magic, they make you feel better without medicine.

What does your mom do in her spare time?
 1.  I don't think she has any spare time.
 2.  She comes to my games and talks to the other moms instead of watching.

What would it take to make your mom perfect?
 1.  On the inside she's already perfect.  Outside, I think some kind of plastic  surgery.
 2.  She thinks a diet would make her prettier but I like her the way she is

If you could change one thing about your mom, what would it be?
 1.  I'd make my mom smarter.  Then she would know it was my sister who did it not me.
 2.  I would like for her to get rid of those invisible eyes on the back of her head.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

Tomereader1

Hope everyone is enjoying a serene and lovely Mother's Day.  Actually was able to  celebrate yesterday, went to an exquisite Concert by the New Life Symphony Orchestra (Callie you have probably heard them or heard of them).  The music was awesome.  "The Flower Duet" from the opera Lakme was sung by Crystal Dugger and Mindy Dennison.  I have heard many versions of this gorgeous duet, by world-renowned sopranos, but these two were the best I've heard. Absolutely flawless.  Brought tears to my eyes. After the concert, my daughter, my dear friend and I went for dinner.  An all-around wonderful Mother's Day, we celebrated each other as we're all 3 mothers!

Tomereader1

got the font too big on my above message, and the color didn't come up as I instructed it.

Tomereader1

Mary Ann

Tom took me to lunch today for Mother's Day.  The place wasn't anything fancy, in fact, we eat there often.  Shortly before we were ready to leave, I discovered a church family was sitting near us and the son in the family noticed me so we all waved to each other, then talked as Tom was waiting to check out.  It's the first time I have noticed friends in a restaurant. 

I have the golf channel on mute.  The big name golfers are not playing, but I do see names I recognize. 

I think it won't be long before I head for a nap.

Marilyn, lots of laughs at what the kids said about their moms. 

Larry, you do so well to keep us informed, especially when you don't feel well.  Tom and I laugh about the fact we are different religious denominations and different political parties, but we get along fine together - we just don't discuss either.  I gave him a home and he allows me to remain in my home.  If we did not live as we do, I don't know where he'd be, but I would be in a retirement home.

Tomereader, I don't think I've ever heard of the two women singers but I am sure  I've heard the song, just can't think of it now.  The large font was perfect for me, but I think most of us use size 4.  My eyes are giving me trouble so just plain font is hard to read and I often skip over those posts, but yours was fine.

When I signed on to B&T I noticed I have quite a few posts to read.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Larry, I know.  Dreading the hot hot days coming.

CallieOK

Happy Mother's Day,

Flajean  my family usually plays "Mexican Train" after Christmas dinner - which is now about the only holiday that all 8 of us are in the same place at the same time.  Things can get pretty rowdy!   :D

No family around today.  I did receive flowers......two weeks ago when All My Children came for the afternoon and planted colorful annuals in the patio pots, flower bed planters and amongst the perennials (some of which are blooming) in the flower beds.  if I knew how to get the pictures off my cell phone. I'd share the colorful array.

The Youth did the church service this morning and it was wonderful.  There are several talented musicians in the youth group - as well as a wonderful bell choir.  The music was lovely (NO guitars or drums!!!!) and the speakers were very articulate.

The two of us from the OTL Bunch had a Braum's hamburger after church because our favorite diner was closed up tight.  Can't imagine why they'd be closed on this kind of holiday but.....

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

Vanilla-Jackie

WISHING MY AMERICAN FRIENDS A HAPPY MOTHERS DAY...

UK Mothering Sundays fall on dates different to Americas...

2019   Sun   31 Mar   Mothering Sunday   
2020   Sun   22 Mar   Mothering Sunday   
2021   Sun   14 Mar   Mothering Sunday   
2022   Sun   27 Mar   Mothering Sunday   
2023   Sun   19 Mar   Mothering Sunday   
2024   Sun   10 Mar   Mothering Sunday   
2025   Sun   30 Mar   Mothering Sunday

" Mothering Sunday, sometimes known as Mother's Day, is held on the fourth Sunday of Lent. It is exactly three weeks before Easter Sunday and usually falls in the second half of March or early April."

I notice next years falls on my Birthday...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

It's interesting Jackie that your Mothering Sundays don't fall on the same Sunday each year, is there a pattern?

Callie, I didn't go to church today because Dot's family from Tennessee came up but in talking with friends at the restaurant, there was a lot of music and not much talking.  I would have enjoyed that, but I did not want to walk to church (4 miles). 

I've had my nap and I have yet to wake up from it. 

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Jackie,  I like the term "Mothering Day". Stores here would go crazy having to plan sales and other special events around a different day every year!  :D 

Denver

Good evening and late HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY wishes for ALL of our special mothers❣️

I celebrated my Mother's Day with my two Colorado Sons yesterday, as they both had tickets to playoff game 7 of the Denver Nuggets vs the Portland Trailblazers.  They offered to buy Bob and Me a ticket but we kindly declined.  I no longer enjoy the challenge of going for another live games or concerts for that fact.  Sadly, in spite of the Nuggets being ahead in the majority of the game, they managed to loose by 4 points.  So now our Nuggets are out as are our Avalanche.😢😢😢

MARILYNE, I watched some of the Sharks Game and was happy they won over the Blues.

Tomorrow starts a stressful week with the uncertainty of what is going on with Michele.  We are all on high anxiety, especially Dave and Michele.  Once agin, I thank you all for your continued positive thoughts and prayers. 

My HAPPY Mother's Day gift to myself is a trip to the dentist tomorrow or when ever I can get in after breaking off a tooth.  I was not eating or anything....just bit down and a tooth was in the bite🤬🤬 It is a crown, so not sure what is in my future......more than likely just another expensive crown! 

I wish you all a good night of rest......

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...one thing I am learning fast is there is only so much stress one can cope with at any one time before it takes it toll...

I know there is light at the end of our sometimes long tunnel, and we will eventually sail out at the other end...I hope and pray this will be the case for your Michelle too...and for all her beloved family who surrounds her...

As for me, I have had it so easy for near on 17 years, it was all going to end at some point, that sometime is NOW...I dont know what my future will hold and this is where it gets scary as I am back to being alone again...One can never take anything - life for granted...I have always said..." life can change - end in the flick of an eye..." well that had certainly come true for my Richard...

It is tearing me up - breaking my heart when I remember last Christmas saying to Richard " I want a Christmas Tree this year as this might be our last Christmas together the way things are going, " meaning, we had just learned that he needed open heart surgery once they had monitored - rectified his anaemia, his lack of iron...I was facing the reality that this could be serious...well little did I realise that four months later he would be gone...

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another beautiful day here in South Carolina.  I have a doctors appointment that we have to leave for before long so am just checking in for today.  This is not going to be an easy week as also have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and another one Thursday.  Hopefully that will be it for awhile. I did get a good nights sleep last night and that always helps but had a number of things I needed to get done for my appointment.  I have read all of the postings since I posted yesterday but just going to check in this morning as really don't have time to make individual comments.

Mary Ann

Larry, I hope all goes well with your doctors' appointments.  It's not good that all happens in the same week, but when the week is over, it will be behind you.

Jackie, it is too bad a tragedy lets us know what we had, but that often is the way.  I have found when someone close to me has died, I tend to remember all of the good things about that association and that is what you are doing now.  You are doing good and I am sure things will pick up for you.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Yes that is true Mary Ann, " but when the week is over, it will be behind you,"what you said to Larry Hanna...same as me this time last week gearing up for the following days funeral...cant believe this is almost one week on already...Larry if it is any consolation, you are getting three appointments out of the way all in one week...Just remember, as bad things come in threes, so does good things come in threes...

Marilyne

A brand new week has arrived once again. I'm going to try to make the best of it, and not worry about the unpleasant things that are happening here, as well as everywhere else.  There are  good things to concentrate on, even though the bad is always lurking in the background.

Jenny - I'm thinking about Michele every day, and praying that the Gamma Knife treatment will zap those tumors, and allow her to live a much longer, pain free life. I hope she had a quiet and loving Mother's Day, with Dave, and her three children.  It sounds like you had a nice day with two of your sons, but sorry that the Nugget's lost.  I'm trying to remember the name of your Major League Baseball team??  The baseball season goes on for so long, that you can enjoy rooting for your team for many, many months ahead. I've always loved baseball, because my Dad loved it so much.  Going to a Dodger's game, or watching one on TV, was his idea of a perfect day.

Jackie - It's a long lonely road for you right now, but as time passes, you will find new friends and a different life. No matter what your future holds,  Richard, will always be with you.

angelface555

so_P_bubble

Are you peeking, Angel?  I am too  ;) 

Mary Ann

Hi to Patricia and Bubble.  It's good to see something from both of you.

Bubble, I'm trying to find a picture to send to you to put in Now and Then.  I had a birthday recently and a guest took a picture of the group with Tom's phone.  It turned out nice and he sent it to me.  I thought I saved it and I know I sent it to others in the family.  The picture wasn't where I thought it should be.  If I find it, I'll send it on.

Both of you, please come back to add to the conversations of the day.

Mary Ann

Joy

Good evening. I am  just making my way here.  Seems like the day really got away from me.

Jenny, thinking about Michele today and hoping that she got a good report on the PET scan.

Larry, hope your doctor's appointment went well and you are feeling better this evening. 

Jackie, I have been thinking of you, also.  Even tho the road ahead will be difficult one, not knowing just what you will do, I am sure that you will remain strong in making some of the decisions.  Maybe the relationship with your daughter and grandson will prove to solve some of your decisions.  You have come a long way in the past several weeks.  Just take your time and hope you will continue to see the new friends who have been so helpful in the past weeks.

Also, Hi ! to you Mary Ann, Marilyne, Patricia, and Bubble. 

I hope everyone will have a good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Recently I received a letter from TracFone that they are discontinuing the network for my particular phone (my phone is quite old).  I don't need any bells or whistles and I am at a loss of what to do.  I can get an inexpensive phone, but the service plans are not inexpensive.  All I need is the capability to buy a years time and some minutes.  I have liked the TracFone because I could buy a year alone, then get as many minutes (or as few) minutes as I need.  I have three dental appointments a year and Tom takes me there and I call him to pick me up.  I have two eye appointments a year and I call him to pick me up from there.  Those places are in the same building and in better years, I would walk there because it is about two blocks but I don't walk distances now.  I'll work on it to see what I come up with - if I come up with anythings.

I looked in on Marine City and saw the north end of a ship going south.  Earlier in the day I did see a few ships.  The picture of the Soo is out of whack and I seem to check in the Duluth areas at the wrong time.  I guess I can't win.  I'm not complaining because I did see some ships.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

My DIL cooked dinner for us. not really hungry

MaryAnn you nd I use the TracFone the same way I think  I us mine in the hospital as I can use the hearing  aides with it I have over 1000 hours on it. I have had it about   15 years I used it mostly when Cyriel was sick at home. he could always call me or I could check on him.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Another beautiful sunny day but to be a bit cooler.  My activity for today is another doctor's visit later this morning.  This is one I anticipate as it is with the foot doctor to trim my toenails.  I suppose my appointment yesterday was good and but the results I am still trying to get my mind around.  She confirmed what I have known in that my congestive heart failure has gotten a lot worse  and will continue to decline in the months ahead.  She has scheduled me for a echo on my heart and back to see her in mid-June.  She also is referring me to see a Dr. who runs the Congestive Heart Failure clinic at the hospital in Augusta.  However, the thing that really caught me blindsided was she is referring me to Hospice so I will be meeting with them in a few days to gain more information and to see how that would work in my case.  She told me that doesn't mean I will be dying soon and that they provide services even 2 years out.  I asked about keeping the doctors I have now and she said I would do that.  I am extremely tired today as only got about an hours sleep last night even with taking a benedril and having my Chamomile Tea.  I just couldn't get comfortable and it was a really long night.  I guess it will take me a few days to really come to acceptance of what is ahead for me especially the Hospice.

Jackie, I am not going to let my health situation get me down and will stay positive.  God will see me through this until I can go home to be with him.  I ask Jesus to carry me when I need help and will just take things one day at a time. We don't need all the answers today.

Mary Ann

Larry, I can well imagine part of your sleepless night was due to the news from your doctor.  I can believe it was shocking, especially when you didn't expect it.  My niece-in-law, Jan, was with a Hospice here for some time, but it got to be a bit much for her since she also has her parents to deal with, especially her father who is in bad shape, so she resigned. 

It is a beautiful day here, at least starting out as one and I think we'll get to the mid-60s and that won't be bad.

Tom is teaching at the Middle school where he attended when young.  I've probably told this before, but the school had movable partitions, a new thing at the time.  The GR newspaper had an article about the school and showed a picture of one class.  Tom at the time had a "natural Afro" and there against a wall was Tom.  No one else realized it was Tom until I pointed it out.  I have the picture somewhere. 

I went back to bed for a while since I was all alone and I had gone through my computer folders.  After a while, I felt something poking me in the back and I discovered Kendrick had burrowed under the top sheet.  He's there now.  That top sheet is supposed to keep him off the blanket and he won't be there long, but he does like something over his head.

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning.  It is a pretty sunny morning today, but still very chilly. I have pushed the thermostat up just to take the chill off.  Hopefully, it is supposed to warm up later in the week.

Larry, I know people who have been  on Hospice for a very long  time.  I am glad to hear that you  still have a positive feeling and I will continue you to remember you in my prayers. I am sure it wasn;t what you were looking to hear.  But, you are a strong man.

I have been up a while, but still need to get some breakfast.  I am not one who really has to eat as soon as I get up.  And, I am not a big coffee person who has to have that first cup of coffee.  I switch back between coffee and tea.

I am planning on playing cards this evening.  I haven't played for a couple weeks. 

I hope everyone will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Larry - I'm sorry to hear that the news about your health, wasn't better.  I can understand that the doctor's recommendation for hospice was not what you were expecting, so it came as a shock.  Just keep in mind, that it seems to be a routine thing now, that the doctors advise, and doesn't mean your days are numbered.

Joy - Good to see you this morning. Like you, I have to be up for a while, before I can eat breakfast.  AJ has his breakfast as soon as he gets up, and then drinks coffee while he reads the paper.  I drink two cups of coffee, first thing, (usually here at the computer), and then eat my breakfast later. 

Mary Ann - I enjoyed seeing the photo of all of your relatives, happily celebrating your birthday!  What a nice looking and happy family group they are!  I see that James looks a lot like Tom, and the twins have Alicia's coloring.   Who is the little blond girl up in front?  Too bad Annie wasn't there.

I also keep meaning to ask you if you plan on taking your yearly vacation to Indiana this summer?

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
....I hope this word " hospice " doesn't mean a separation from you and your lady wife Pat....you still need each other...and more than ever now...

FlaJean

I had a very nice Mother's Day and hope all of you did also.  It is a beautiful sunny day here in Northwest Florida.  We have had several good rains but I need to water a couple of plants on the porch.

Mary Ann, what a nice family gathering for your birthday.  Loved seeing the photo of your family.  I don't believe Jane posts here but the picture of her and daughter was also good to see.

I'm sorry to hear, Larry, that your condition is not improving.  But the important thing is that you are in God's hand.  None of us know what the future holds.

Hope all of you are enjoying the day.  Joy, your weather should be warming up before long.  When we lived in Maryland, my favorite months were June and October.  on many a June evening we sat out on the patio on the swing.  Think I better go water a couple of my plants.