Random Image

twins

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...quoting: "None of us know what the future holds."
I will second that, I wasn't expecting to lose my Richard five weeks ago today...
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

Two Danish polar bears getting a divorce;

THE ICE IN THE COPENHAGEN Zoo's Arctic Ring is cold, but the gossip is hot: as the Local reports, one of Denmark's sexiest polar bear couples are breaking up. Ivan and Noel, two of the exhibit's main attractions, will soon be going their separate ways, the Zoo recently announced.

The two have made it work since 2007 when Ivan left the Moscow Zoo to move in with Noel. But in recent months, things have fallen apart. "They simply don't like each other," zoo spokesman Bengt Holst told a local broadcaster, who added that Noel "often swims back and forth in the enclosure because she is stressed."

Ivan will soon pack his things and move to the Scandinavian Wildlife Park in Djursland. Among his welcoming party is a female named Nuno, who, insiders say, is single and ready to mingle.

From Atlas Obscura.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/two-danish-polar-bears-are-getting-divorced

Mary Ann

Jackie, I think here in the US that Hospice tries to make visits to the home.  That way both the patient and family can be made more comfortable. 

I have been looking online at cell phones to replace my TracFone because of their network change.  Most come with so many bells and whistles that I don't need nor want.  I think I have come to grips with the service plan - that it includes whatever number of days you want and the minutes are automatic.  I want to sit with Tom while he looks at my choice and we have a question and answer session.

Marilyn, Erin is holding Avery who is the daughter of Paula (sitting further back at the table) and she is the granddaughter of my nephew, Tim, who died in 2014.  Look at the picture again.

Marilyn, we haven't talked about my going to Indy this year.  They may be waiting for me to bring it up and I'm waiting for them to suggest it.  I would consider a trip, but I'm not anxious to travel, although everyone makes it easy for me. 

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments about my family picture.  I was very pleased with it.  Tom's phone was used, but a friend of Alicia came with them and she took the picture.

We are having a nice sunny day and the temp is near 70 degrees; I can take that!''

Patricia, even wild life has its troubles, doesn't it.

Mary Ann

angelface555

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has returned a bribe sent to her by an 11-year-old girl who asked her government to do some research on dragons.

The girl, Victoria, wanted to be given telekinetic abilities so she could become a dragon trainer.

Victoria's sibling posted about the encounter to Reddit saying her sister had been inspired by telekinesis after watching the Stranger Things television show.

Writing to Ardern to request such information, the unnamed 11-year-old attached the $5 NZD (€3) bribe to the letter in the hopes it might have some sway.

In her return letter, which was posted to Reddit, Ardern thanked the girl for a letter and expressed interest in her suggestions "about psychics and dragons" but said the government was "not currently doing any work in either of those areas".

She added: "I am therefore returning your bribe money, and I wish you all the very best in your quest for telekinesis, telepathy, and dragons".

"P.S. I'll keep an eye out for those dragons. Do they wear suits?" she said in an additional handwritten note.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/14/new-zealand-pm-jacinda-ardern-returns-11-year-old-s-bribe-for-infomation-on-dragons?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=en&utm_content=new-zealand-pm-jacinda-ardern-returns-11-year-old-s-bribe-for-infomation-on-dragons&_ope=eyJndWlkIjoiZjQ0ZGZmMGExM2NhODFiMzgyMTQyYjA2MDFlYjNmZDgifQ%3D%3D

Denver

A good Tuesday HELLO to ALL.

Yesterday was a bit stressful and I am sorry I did not get in to tell the news regarding Michele.   The scan report showed that there was little to no change in the size of the tumor on the lung.  The oncologist wants to continue with the chemo for four more sessions, then recheck the tumor again with another CT as he feels that it is best to keep a continued regiment so it can be true test of what is going on.  The thought on the size is that it was nearly four weeks before the chemo was started, from the original CT scan, hence the tumor may have grown a bit and now is truly smaller in size. The oncologist is backing down on the amount of one of the chemo meds in hope that it is the one that is causing Michele to be so wiped out and making her have the worse side effects.  She WILL have the gamma knife procedure done this coming Friday.  I thank you all for your continued  positive thoughts and prayers....they are SO appreciated....

LARRY, I, too, am saddened that your health report is not better and that your heart condition is on the decline.  I learned not too long ago that Hospice does not mean one's time is short, but rather that some help can be given to those in need.  Your attitude about your situation is honorable and it will carry you through.  You are in my thoughts and prayers. 

MARILYNE, our local baseball team is the Rockies, and they are all we have left to cheer for now🤣

MARYANN, I am sorry you are having to seek out a new phone.....best of luck. I do not envy Tom being a substitute teacher.....seems that can be a real challenge these days.  It is nice that he is teaching in his old high school.  🤣🤣

GLORIA de, happy your DIL is there and cooking for you, but sad that you just do not have a appetite. 

JACKIE, continued hugs for you💞

I wish you all a good rest of your day. 

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Jenny, I wish there was more encouraging news about Michele and maybe the change in her medication will help her to not be so tired.  Her illness certainly is hard of your entire family, especially her own.

The TracFone has been so convenient for me because it has not, nor will be, my main phone.  All of the suggested replacements are expected (by the companies) to be one's only phone and come with so many extras.  The most basic phone does have a camera and I might appreciate that, but I don't take a lot of pictures any more because I don't travel.  When Jim and I traveled, I took a lot of pictures and now I take a few when I see the twins, but that is all.  I may have made a decision about a replacement and I want Tom to see what he thinks.  He just got home but is always tired when he gets here and he will take a nap.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Tim Conway of the Carol Burnet show has died,  https://people.com/tv/tim-conway-dies/

"Before making his mark in Hollywood, Conway studied TV and radio at Bowling State University and enlisted in the Army, where his goofiness already shone through. In the L.A. Times interview, he remembered misplacing his rifle before a 4 a.m. drill.

"I looked in the garbage and there was this long neon tube," he remembered. "So I took that. As the lieutenant came around the corner. I said, 'Halt.' I am pointing this bulb at him and he said 'What is that?' I said, 'It's a light bulb and if you come any closer, I'll turn it on.' He had very little sense of humor. I spent an extra two weeks [in the service] painting rocks in Seattle."'

angelface555

US news
Monsanto ordered to pay over $2 billion to California couple
A California jury on Monday awarded a historic $2.055-billion verdict against agribusiness giant Monsanto Co. in a case brought forward by a couple who claimed that the company's weed killer Roundup caused their cancers. This is the third such courtroom loss for Monsanto in California since August.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I had just read about Tim Conway before I came to Norm's B&T.  I loved to see him in his sketches as he was so funny.

Two celebrities in two days - not good! 

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone
From the still cool and overcast
Rocky coast of Maine.

I sorry to hear about Michelle and all
 the difficulties that she is still having

Lzrry. Hang in there and make good use of
The he!p that you are getting....

I am thinking of you both right now
And wish you better health.

I am using my new tablet right now and
I think that I am going. To like it.

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I took another look at your photo, and I think I have everyone straight now.  As I said before, too bad that Annie wasn't there, so she could be in the picture too, but I realize that your nephew in California, wasn't there either.  I hope you end up going to Indy, sometime this Summer.  It's good to get away for a few days for a change of scene and visiting with people you don't see very often.

I also saw the story about Tim Conway. He was a favorite of mine also.  He had his own personal and unique style of comedy, that was different from all the other comedians.  I was a big fan of the Carol Burnett show, and always looked forward to his exchanges with Harvey Corman!  ;D

Patricia - I had to laugh at the story of the 11 year old girl in New Zealand!  I think she's been watching Game of Thrones, for too many years! ha ha  As for the story on Round-up .. . it's been on our news a lot in the past couple of months.  I hope that finally, Monsanto, will remove Round-up from the shelves, and stop producing it completely?  I know they will have to eventually, just as chemical companies in the past stopped manufacturing DDT. 

Jenny - I'm sorry to hear that Michele has to continue on with the chemo, but if there is a possibility that it will shrink those lung tumors, then it is worth the pain and illness that she has suffered.  I will be thinking of her on Friday, when she has the Gamma Knife treatment.

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

I was quietly reading this afternoon when my grandson and a friend appeared at the door to see if they could fish in the complex's pond. They're allowed to do that - but I told them there was a "charge".  So they hosed the cottonwood "cotton" out of the air conditioner.  I did send cookies with them.  :smitten:

Jenny,  I will be holding Michelle in my heart this week and hoping the gamma knife procedure goes well.

Larry,  you have adjusted well to life changes so far - and I'm sure you will do so with the newest one.

Patricia,  I'm giggling at the polar bear "divorce".  "Who'd-a thunk it", as my beloved (and sassy) Aunt would have said.

Mary Anne,  there are features on my cell phone that I've never figured out and probably never will.  Don't have a problem with texting but it took ages for me to correctly answer or make a phone call.  Still don't know how to get pictures off of it onto my computer.

Loved seeing all the family pictures.  Maybe my family will agree to my posting one of them...one of these days.

Probably should dig around to see if I have anything to feed two hungry boys after their fishing event. 

Mary Ann

Callie, since the new phone would not be my main phone, I doubt I'll get into texting.  The phone might live in my purse.  On the other hand - I might like it so much I'd use it more. 

It's been a lovely day here and was in the low 70s at one time, now it is just below at 68 degrees.

Time to see what I can fix for my supper.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Gosh, I'm gone a day and you all have left lots to comment on.

I am enjoying all the lovely family photos that have been posted.

Mary Ann and Joy, I am also one who cannot eat right after getting up. In fact, when I was young eating right away was likely to get me a stomachache. I need at least two hours before my stomach wakes us with the rest of me.

Larry, you apparent declining health is bringing up memories of my Dad, and not without some pain and sadness. I am not sure if it was Mom's, Dad's or both who wanted Dad to stay home during his illness, but they did avail themselves of in-home hospice service. They did a wonderful job and came right away when Dad passed to help Mom with arrangements. Dad had interstitial lung disease which also affected his heart. This is a long way around to saying I wish you all the best when you make your decision whether to use and what kind of hospice care you might want.

The cats are pesting for their early lunch, so I will be back later to tell you about the trip to Gettysburg Battlefield that my sister and I took yesterday.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is with the deepest sadness and through tears that I write this today.  I had a text from Ruth Ann Bice saying our beloved Pat Scott Halbach had suffered a most severe stroke yesterday morning and wasn't going to survive the day.  A few minutes after read the text I had a call from Paul Halbach who told me that Pat had not survived.  We have lost a dear friend to us all.  I really know nothing else other than Paul was with her when she had the stroke and immediately called for help.  This dear, lovely lady has suffered so much in the last three years but now is free from that pain and is with her Heavenly Father.

The only other thing I will write about today is Hospice.  I did quite a bit of reading last evening about Hospice and am anxious to talk to them.  I certainly will want the Home service.  They were wonderful to us at the time Stacey passed away and were tremendous help.  I am not being pessimistic but I had a blunt conversation with my cardiologist Monday and she confirmed what I knew that it will be a downward situation with me and that I am not going to be getting any better.  I am just thankful that I have most things in order to try to make it easier for Pat and Scott must take over what I do now and when my time is up.  Doing everything else I can to document and get our affairs in order will be my main focus for the immediate future.  I appreciate all of your comments and hope to be able to post here for sometime to come and since my life has been and will be an open book, I will share with you as much of my future journey as I am able.  Thanks for much for your comments about this situation and your own family experiences.

Sandy

Thank you Larry for letting us know the
bad news about Pat Scott passing.   That is
very sad.   We have known Pat since the
beginning of Senior Net.   I will miss
her. 

Also thanks for letting us know about your
experience with  Hospice.   I know that they
will be a great help to you and Pat
as your journey continues.     
I will miss you,  also ....   oh dear ! 

love Sandy   
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MarsGal

I'm back.

Two hours is way too short a time to see the Gettysburg Battlefield. Sue saw a book at the museum about the Black American experience during the war, but the only copy they had was the display copy and it was a bit dog-eared. She had wanted to get if as a gift for her husband. Her husband's great-grandfather was the coach driver for Lincoln when he came to Harrisburg on his way to Gettysburg to give his famous speech. The two-hour tour was both interesting and disappointing at the same time. We only stopped long enough to get off the bus at three sites, but briefly. Unfortunately, the Pennsylvania monument was not one of them. We also did not stop at Devil's Den, a childhood favorite of mine, which is denuded of trees since I saw it last (back to the way it actually looked during the battle). After not touring any of the site in years, I discovered many more monuments and markers (most of them from Southern and Western states). Even California had one. They did not send any soldiers, but the did fund some of the war. No, I don't know for which side; didn't thing to ask. Another new one, to me, was the one commemorating the last living Civil War veteran, who I think our tour guide said passed away in 1956.

We stopped at the historic Dobbin House for a lunch of soup, sandwich fixings, salads, barbecue chicken, penne pasta dish, ham and green beans, and dessert.

After lunch we visited the Elizabeth Seton Shrine in Emmitsburg. I remember when she was made a saint. I knew very little of her history or of the Sisters of Charity which she founded. The St. Joseph's Academy, which she also founded, closed not all that long ago. FEMA now owns the property, which they use as a training facility among other things. Because of some kind of snafu between the bus tour company and FEMA, we almost were not admitted to the site to see the 9/11 Memorial and the bricks people have dedicated to firefighters who lost their lives in the US (including fire fighters in the military) There are still plenty of bricks available to memorialize fire-fighters and fire companies. California seemed especially well represented. We were only allowed to wonder the memorial grounds outside, so I suspect if wires hadn't been crossed we would have been able to see a video and maybe some indoor displays.

Our last stop was a farm market where we were supposed to see a cut-away of a live hive in action and a talk about bees. What we got was a demonstration of how to make Apple Dumplings, an interesting demonstration of just how much of the world (using apples) is actually used for food production (it is tiny), and a ride around the orchard on the bus with a narrative about fruit growing. It was supposed to be a wagon tour through the orchard, but it started raining. We were given a small sample of cider, cake, and then turned loose on the farm market. I had to slap my fingers several times so as not to buy something I didn't have any place to display, or a small pot of lavender to plant, which I do want, but not before I get an appropriate pot and potting soil.

The trip, altogether, was about 12 hours long. Shan and Oscar were at the door when I got back, and Shan is being a bit pesky for attention this morning.

Mary Ann

Larry, such sad news about Pat Scott Halbach.  She and Paul visited Norm and Dot here in Grand Rapids several years ago, maybe 10.  I met them at that time.  I would hear about people but met almost none of them over the years.

I like how you, Larry, are handling your affairs.  Over the years, I have been trying to identify things in the house as to their background so if the family disposes of a thing, they will know what they have lost.  Tom is gone so often that he has not sat with me to know what to do and what not to do.  Since we do not know when my time will come, things can change before I depart this world.

Our minister visited the woman whose funeral I went to last week and he told of the visit where she told him "she was ready to travel"; she died that evening.

MarsGal, even though the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing on part of your Gettysburg trip, it sounds like a good tour.  I have never been to Gettysburg and I know I won't make it now.  In fact, I think I have never been to a Civil War battleground.  It is only in recent years that I found my grandmother's brother died in a National Veterans Hospital in Milwaukee and is buried in the cemetery at the hospital.  I also discovered a DNA connection with a descendant of his through his daughter and I sent a note but have not received a reply.  As far as I know, I had only one ancestor who was in the Civil War - the one I mentioned above.

Tom is teaching at Cedar Springs and I think he has said those students are Special Ed.  He will be home around noon and I think we'll go out for lunch.

This afternoon Robin will be here and it is her day for helping me with my computer room mess.  When I have her come every week, I get confused as to what I want her to do.  I think I mentioned that her idea of organization is to get rid of things and my idea is to find a place for things I want to keep.  And I've got to let her know that things on the first floor generally are mine and she should not ask Tom what to do with things.

It's nearly 11 am and I think I'll look in the refrigerator to see what is available for breakfast.  We have no milk so cereal is out of the question.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...your post, Pat Scott Halbach has started me off crying again :'(    ...what a sad period we have been going through...how many more are we going to lose? Larry I fear for you too, here in UK...hospice means just one thing, end of life....
Larry, I am happy you will remain at home with your Pat...

Joy

Good morning. A very pretty sunny morning, with no rain.  Supposed to be pretty good weather for a few days, anyway. And, get warmer by the week end

I had just read Larry's message about Pat Halbach over in the Soda Shoppe.  Such sad news. Pat has been a wonderful friend of all of us for a very long time.  She will be missed.

MarGals, you were not too far from where I live.  Maybe a little less than an hour.  Two of my son's are frequent visitors Gettysburg.  One likes to hike  and the other goes horseback riding all around that area.  Too bad that you didn't have more time to spend there.  And, I am sure you enjoyed your visit to Elizabeth Seton's shrine.  That is a beautiful place. And, I hope you enjoyed your lunch at the Dobbin House.  And, hopefully, you were able to bring a couple apple dumplings home with you.  Sounds like you had a lovely day.  My great-grandchildren live in Gettysburg.  I am very familiar with all that area.

I just wrote a long message over in the Soda Shoppe. 

For any of you that remember Bobbie Gould, I did talk to her yesterday, as it was her birthday.  She was the lady who traveled across the country, living out of her car along with her beloved dog.  She is in an assisted living place in Ohio, now, being close to her daughter.  She has been on oxygen for a good while now, and isn't able to be as busy as she would like to be. But, she sounded good.  I don't talk to her as much as I should, so hopefully, we will get a chance to talk again soon.

I need to get some chores done before the day gets away from me.  The days do tend to fly by so quickly.

Have a wonderful day.

Joy

BIG BOX

Marilyne

I'm very sorry to hear that Pat Scott Halbach, had a serious stroke, and did not survive.  I am grateful to her for providing Seniors and Friends, for us.  Many of us felt so lost when Senior Net dropped us, and Pat stepped in and rescued us at that time. She has provided us with many years of connection and friendship on this message board, and I certainly hope that there is a way for it to continue?

It's raining here this morning, but just a steady sprinkle - nothing measurable.  It's supposed to be heavy rain, up North of here, in the areas that burned in the wildfires last Fall. We very rarely get rain in California, from May to November, so it would be helpful to get a real downpour in the forested areas in the North. 

CallieOK

Good Morning,

I am so sad to read about Pat Halbach.  We became acquainted at several Senior Net Bashes and she/Judy ? joined our group for dinner when we went through her hometown on a tour.

Follow-up on grandson/friend....  They only caught/released a few small sunfish but ate all the cookies.  When they stopped back by, they also ate the 8 slider sandwiches I'd found in the fridge and chattered away about college (grandson) and developing career (friend).  Fun visit!

I'm about to "go shopping" on line in my two favorite catalogs.  Tog Shop is merging with Appleseed's and I want to take advantage of the close-out sale.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

Mary Ann

Callie, I used to buy from both Tog Shop and Appleseed's until I had so many tops (especially) that I haven't bought anything in some time.  I think I'd get a catalog from each of them every week.  The two places shared an address, I believe, and I knew they were connected.  Sometimes I could find the same item in both catalogs, but most of their items were different.  When I was on a tour in Ireland in 2010, one of the women on the tour recognized the top I was wearing as having come from the Tog Shop because she bought from them too.  Well, at least they're still in business, even though merging.

Tom came home from teaching and is napping.  We will go out to lunch when he wakes up and I said I'd like to go to Russ'.  Russ' is an area chain with headquarters in Holland MI.  The restaurants are not open on Sunday, which shows their Dutch heritage. 

We are over 70 degrees now and the sun is shining - beautiful day!!!

Mary Ann

angelface555

"MONEY
Shop online? Here's how to spot counterfeit electronics, cosmetics, clothes and more
Just like you, counterfeiters are online, trying to sell you their inferior copycat products. A new Better Business Bureau report calls it an 'epidemic' problem."

"Almost anything that can be shipped can be counterfeited and sold online, including everyday products such as printer ink, headphones, phone chargers, athletic shoes, cosmetics, and even car parts," the report noted. The average victim who buys bogus merchandise loses about $350.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized more than 30,000 shipments of counterfeit and pirated products in fiscal year 2017 worth about $1.2 billion. Most came from mainland China (46 percent) and Hong Kong (32 percent).

"Counterfeiting is not a victimless crime," said Bob Barchiesi, president of the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition. "A lot of jobs are lost because of it and taxes aren't being paid. There's forced labor involved and organized crime behind a lot of this. And there's also information that counterfeiting supports terrorist operations."

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/shop-online-here-s-how-spot-counterfeit-electronics-cosmetics-clothes-ncna1005401?cid=eml_better_20190515

Denver

Good morning....it will be another beautiful day here in the Mile High City💐💐

I have a huge lump in my throat and tears after reading your news about Pat passing away.  Thank you, LARRY for letting us know🙏.  BLESS HER HEART, she has struggled for so long, and now she is at peace and meeting up again with her beloved Jack and Geordie💞💞  We are lucky in that we have seen Pat on many occasions.....she has been to our home and we have been to hers. 

MARILYNE, I certainly hope we can find a way to keep our group going.....without Pat, this group would not be here for us😢

MARY ANN, I will look forward to reading about your lunch.  I am not sure you have ever told us about Russ' before??  I read into your comments a bit and I hope you can have a nice conversation with Robin so that she understands that it is your home and your things and she should be respectful of your wishes💞

JACKIE, I am feeling just like you....we have had so many sad things going on recently that I am really on the edge with my emotional feelings.  I know many of our friends in here are not well and I just do not want to think about something happening to ANY of you......and even though I know you have everything in line, LARRY, and your attitude is a inspiration to us all, I just do not want to even think about you not being here with us🙏🙏🙏. I miss our June and her way of writing that made is all feel so much better. 

WOW, MARSGAL, you really had quite the outing.....I did enjoy reading about what all you did and what you saw.  Happy for you. 

Today they are charging the "shooters" of the school here last week....it is just so sad and disgusting at the same time to look at the 18 year old and TRY to imagine WHY he would ever want to do this awful thing......my hubby says he thinks they are in a mind set like they are playing video games.....once it is over, you just get up and continue on with more killing and it goes on over and over....just so darn sad what he has done to so many innocent people.  Today is the memorial service for the one young man that tried his best to stop this horrible incident. 

I must get my mind somewhere else, so please forgive me for my ranting.....

Enjoy the rest of your day....

Hugs to all,

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

FlaJean

Thanks, Larry, for the information about Pat Scott.  When she started S&F Sandy notified me (thanks Sandy) and I joined up right away.  I sent Pat a check to help out and she replied in a lovely letter (yes, a real letter).  It was thoughtful of her to see the need and have the knowledge to set up S&F.  She has had so much suffering these last several years.

Mary Ann, I hope you and Tom enjoy your lunch this afternoon.  If you like quiche, your supermarket might carry small frozen quiche that come in handy for a quick breakfast or lunch.  You can pop them in the microwave.  I buy them every now and then for the freezer.

Marsgal, your quick tour sounds great.  It has been years since we visited Gettysburg.  When we lived in Maryland, we visited several times.  We also visited Hershey Park and did the tour of the chocolate house.  They weren't doing the factory tour but you got on a little cart like train and saw how chocolate was made.  We even took a tour that went on top of some of the buildings.  Now Hershey chocolate is made in Mexico(?).

Something happened to our female bluebird.  The nest with four eggs has been deserted.  We knew something was wrong when we stopped seeing Mr. Bluebird no longer keeping watch.  We think either a cat or hawk must have gotten her.  We did see a cat crawling across the top of the fence but haven't seen any feathers so it might have been a hawk.  We have waited a while in case she came back but it has been too long and we must just clean out the nest.

We are having a beautiful day and hope you are too!

Vanilla-Jackie

The losing of Pat Halbach Scott is touching me hard as this is part of a PM message she had posted to me...

Re: Sad days...
« Sent to: Vanilla-Jackie on: August 18, 2018, 23:15:38 »
Hi Jackie...

"Yes, we've had some sad days.  I'm sorry about that.  I'm hoping that I will soon see better days ahead a be able to take a better more active part on the site."

Love

Pat

Two days previously she had PMd "  First time on S&F for a long, long time due to this illness."

Sadly this was - is not to be...If it wasn't for her, we wouldn't be making longstanding friendships on this site...we owe her such a lot...

Jenny...
...I miss our Joan FL...

Mary Ann

I too hope S&F can continue as a unit.  Even though she did not post often in the folders I follow, I knew Pat was responsible for it.  Jackie, how fortunate you were to receive a letter from her.  And Jean to have gotten an honest-to-gosh snail mail letter.  That is unusual these days!

Our lunch was good.  I had a Slim Gem, which was ham, lettuce and mayo on a bun that I think was sourdough (just don't remember, but it was long and cut in half.  I ate one half and brought the rest home along with some onion rings we did not finish.  Tom had a Turkey Club which I have had in the past and liked.  Their prices are good.  As I mentioned, Russ' has headquarters in Holland MI and I'm trying to think of the name of the person who started it - Van something.  When we had phone directories, ours were full of Van, Van de, Van der, Vander, or names ending in -ma.  There are a lot of Dutch people in West Michigan and I knew that before I got so involved in genealogy!

Jean, I'll look for quiche because I'd even like it for lunch or dinner.  Often when Tom is gone, he is gone around suppertime and I rely on sandwiches or frozen dinners at that time.  I love sandwiches and probably could get by with them, but I think I should have more variety.  If my greens are good, I may have a salad for supper.

Patricia, I like to think that what I have ordered from Tog Shop in the past was their own product and not some counterfeit product.  While I have not ordered from them in a long time (or anyone else, for that matter), I am still wearing those tops and the colors have not faded or changed.  I like to think I am cautious about ordering online as I don't order from "just anybody". 

Jenny, we are fortunate in that we have several restaurants near here.  None of them are the big names nor are they big restaurants.  There are two sports bars and we like to eat at either of them - Cheers and/or The Score.  Russ' is where the "old folks" go and features plain food, sandwiches do not come with scads of potato chips or fries and the breads are simple - sourdough, whole wheat, rye, white etc.  Prices are reasonable.  Tom would prefer to go elsewhere but when/if I say I want to go to Russ' he doesn't ask to go somewhere else.  It is quiet.  Russ' is spread all over West Michigan.  If you want lots of pizzazz, Russ' is not the place to go.

My computer was full of Tim Conway today.  I always liked him and I appreciated that his jokes were clean (at least I never heard any other kind from him). 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Bubble, may know more about the future of Seniors and Friends?  If we can keep it going by continuing to send money, I know we all would gladly send as much as possible.  I don't know how these message boards work, or who the money goes to?  Oldiesmann, could probably answer some questions as well?

Jenny - I'll be watching for the story about the charges against the latest Colorado school shooters.  it's just so hard to comprehend, as to WHY these young men resort to such violent acts against innocent people?  I wonder if they intended to kill themselves after it was all over?  If not, then they surely knew they would be caught, and would spend the rest of their lives in prison.  Maybe the one who is still a minor, will not have as long of a sentence, but it will the ruination of his/her life anyway. 

Jean - That's so sad, about your Bluebird nest.  I remember when you first told us about it, and I was looking forward to hearing about the baby birds when they hatched.  Thanks for the reminder about those individual frozen quiches.  I used to get the ones called, Nancy's Quiche, and they were so good, and very filling. I haven't noticed them in the freezer section for a long time, so I'll be sure to take a look.

Mary Ann - Glad you enjoyed your lunch today with Tom.  We're planning to go to Kirk's Hamburgers, tonight for dinner.  It's one of those old places that's always reliable.  I love the neon sign under the name, that says, "Since 1948!"  I have a soft spot in my heart for l948. It was a good year for me, and I remember it well.

Callie - I have already purchased a few things from the closing sale at, The Tog Shop. :)   I've had good luck with their merchandise over the years, and when I've been dissatisfied for any reason, it was an easy return. Norm Thompson, was always a bit more pricey, and I see that it is also closing, and merging with Appleseeds.  The good news, is that we won't get as many catalogs in the mail! ::)  I'll continue on with Appleseeds.

Joy - Yes, I remember Bobby Gould.  I used to look forward to her messages in Senior Net, when she was traveling across the country with her dog.  She was so good at describing her travels, and the people she visited or met along the way.  I'm glad to hear that she is doing okay.

Joy

I am just checking back, as I neglected to add Jenny to my message earlier.

Jenny, I am so sorry that Michele did not get the results she was hoping for from her PET scan, but hoping the doctor's changing her medicine will be more helpful. I continue to remember her in my prayers. I know how  difficult this has all been for all of you.

I have never heard of the two clothing catalogs that you all have mentioned.  I will have to look them up and see what is on sale.  I get so many catalogs now, that I really don't need anymore, but will check their websites to see what they offer, before I get a catalog.

It has been a pretty lazy day. I have had several short naps.

Many Ann, your lunch sounds nice. I am happy with a sandwich and a bowl of soup a lot of nights.  I have plenty in the freezer, but sometimes just don't feel like fixing anything. I do usually eat a little something later in the evening.  I always have slices of pizza in the freezer, as they are pretty filling.  I also like quiche, so I will have to look some of them up. 

Jean, sorry about the blue bird nest, but it sounds like it was something that got to them.

HOpe you all have had a nice afternoon.

Joy

BIG BOX