Random Image

Parade-4.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Hello, from the cold and rainy West Coast.  I've been complaining a lot about the ongoing  Winter temperatures here in NorCal, but I know that in another month, it will be just the opposite . . .  I will be complaining about the heat and the AC.  ::)   

We are planning to visit the cemetery gravesites of AJ's parents and brother, tomorrow, so I'm hoping that the rain stops.  If not, we won't be able to go, as the site is on a grassy slope, and is hard to navigate, even in dry weather. 

Larry - Like all the others here in B&T, I'm inspired by your positive and accepting attitude.  I plan to take a lesson from you, because my day will be coming, as it will be for all of us.  I'm so glad that Scott is so willing to help when needed, and I know our son Brad, will be the same when the time comes. 

Mary Ann - that must have been a shock, to find out that your church friend had passed away so suddenly.  Lots of recent deaths of friends and acquaintances here in our town, in the past couple of weeks.  A long time dear friend of  AJ's died a couple of weeks ago, without any warning.  His son had been trying to call him, received no answer, and finally went to his house and found him.   

Jean - I'm sorry to hear that you're having such uncomfortable issues with your eyes.  If you didn't have those problems before your cataract surgery, then maybe there is a connection?  AJ has an ongoing issue with his eyes, because of his Dry Eye problem. After watching TV for awhile, it starts to get blurry, and he has a hard time focusing.  He reads a lot, but has difficulties with small print or light print, and I do too.  My dil gave a new book for Mother's Day, and the print is so small that I just cannot stay with it long enough to get into the story.  Guess I'll have to wait for the library edition to be published in large print, or maybe I'll finally set up  an audio book app on my Kindle?
Do you ever get ocular migraines?  Both AJ and I get them occasionally, but they don't bother me or last as long for me, as they do him.  He has to lie down until the lights and colors finally fade away.  (No pain involved at all.)

JeanneP

Sun out here at the moment but more rain coming. Such a storm last night again. Been so much damage over the last week in the area. Tornados and heavy winds.
I am now wondering what kind of a summer we are going to have.

Does anyone beside me watch the camera showing the Osprey nest in Hog Island, Breman, Maine? I was just in. Was thinking had 2 eggs in a couple weeks ago.Now showing both parents close to nest and lake looking high and nest fill with water. Hope not destroyed.
I just never have been able to set up the shipping lines that you all watch. I can get the Deluth Habour but never seen anything going through there. I don't get in often so maybe that the reason.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

Marilyn, we have kind of a hazy day here, however, the temperature is 76 and I can't complain about that.  The sun is shining so it is nice outside.  It won't be long before the cat and I go out on the deck.  I think we must have some bird on the deck support because Kendrick was nosing around the slats in the deck.

Yes, it was a shock about the death of this woman.  I haven't been close to her, but she was a classmate, graduating from high school the year after I did.  In fact, if I had not taken extra subjects to graduate with my friends, I would  have been in her class.  Only two weeks ago, we lost another classmate.  Of course, when I know I've been out of high school 78 years, I have to expect that. 

My eyes are not good but I don't have Ocular Migraines, never have.  I guess I have glaucoma and my optometrist says there is nothing more she can do for me.  I can see OK but I have a hard time reading, especially when people do not BOLD their computer copy.  Any dark color is good but just plain print is not.  I don't even try to read some of the posts.  In church it is a good thing I know the words to the first verses of many hymns but I have a hard time reading the hymn sheets that are provided with the large print bulletins.  Still, I'm still here and kicking so I don't complain.  Like Larry, I accept my problems, but I don't have as many or as serious problems as he does.  People are very surprised when they find out my age.

I won't go to the cemetery this week, but I should go to make sure a flag is on my dad's grave.  I took the urn from the cemetery a few years ago and it is beside the service door or the garage.  I'll get a plant to put in the urn and I may get a couple to hang by the front door.  I'll put my houseplants on the deck and two of them flower.  I gave away all but one amaryllis and the one I kept bloomed beautifully a week ago. 

Jeanne, I have not watched the ospreys but I watch the ships a lot.  Do you have the link to the ships' arrivals and departures at Duluth?  If you have that, you might remember to return to the site to see if the ships are coming or going.  I watch the Soo, Duluth and Marine City.  Others view New York Harbor.  That light link at the bottom of my post is for Grand Haven.  I notice some people on the beach.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Jeanne, here are two ships in the Duluth area, one leaving, the other arriving.  I think you know you must go to the Duluth Canal first, then check on the proper channel.

The times are Central, which is your time zone.

at 6:30 pm from Duluth, the Paul R Tregurtha will depart.

at 8:30 pm to Two Harbors, the Edgar Speer will arrive. 

Check the times because they do change and especially with Two Harbors, the ships often arrive before the time stated.  If the speed shown is 0.0 knots, the ship isn't moving, regardless of the time shown.

Mary Ann

Joy

Good evening  I am very late getting in here today.

I could not get back to sleep during the night, so I was up at 4 a.m.  I did look in here then, but too early to post anything interesting.

I decided there were some things that I wanted to do, so I did get up at 4 a.m. and put away the rest of the laundry that I did the other day.  I had laid everything out neat, so just needed to put the folded things away and some things that needwed put on hangars. I have a walk-in closet and it is a little tight getting into it with my walker.  But, I just took a couple things at a time and got it all hung up. 

I had breakfast, took my medicine, had a shower and got dressed and was in the laundry room, (again) when it opened up at 9.  I wanted to try to be the first one and I was. I did two more loads to finish it up for now. I only do laundry about every couple weeks, as I hate to pay for just a partial load and these are big washers and dryers and hold a lot.  So, that job is done for a while now.

I talked to my SIL and my son for a little bit and then had some lunch. I had planned on sitting outside today, and it looked likem it was getting cloudy, so I hurried up and finished up a couple other things and went down and picked up my mail and it was just starting to sprinkle a little bit. But, by the time I got out the door, it had stopped and it was all sunny and clear again.  There were several people sitting out and I stayed out until 5 o'clock. Different ones were talking about going in to see about fixing something for dinner.  It was such a beautiful day, I hated to come in.

Larry, I was so pleased to see your nice long message today.  Again, I feel like all the others as far as you are dealing with your health issues.  I think we all will learn something from how you are handling your current problems. YOu are a big inspiration for us all.

Mary Ann, glad that you and Dot were able to get to church and out to lunch.  Whatever kind of pie it was, I am sure it was good.

My mother used to go to the cemetaries  for every holiday.  She would make up arrangements to take.  I think there were 3 different ones that she went to.  Sadly, I have not cvontinuedm with her tradition.  I have only been back to where my husband is buried only one time and that was to see the inscription on the tombstone.  I think my sons do stop there every so often. 

Jean, I do hope you are feeling better.  I have cataracts, but the eye doctor doesn't seem to concerned about them.

Marilyne,  I am sorry about your cold, rainy weather.  We have had our share of it, so everyone is so  thrilled to have had a beautiful weekend so far, and it is supposed to more of the same tomorrow.  Maybe some very isolated thunderstorms, but so far our area has been beautiful. 

I hope everyone has had a nice Sunday and will have meaningful Memorial Day holiday tomorrow.

Joy
BIG BOX

Lindancer

Good evening, expecting rain.  Traffic out on the main road to the Hamptons is horrible. Everyone in NYC must be out here

MaryAnn, The race track about half mile from us had fireworks.   Poor Taffy was scared to death, she hide in the closet.  I have been having trouble finding food to eat that I can keep down I have been getting those boxes of a Cup Of Soup, also asparagress I have been eating. I am trying Larry's suggestion crackers

Larry, while I was a patient in the hospital last month, both nursing and Hospice said they had a meeting about my condition Nursing wanted me to go after 3 weeks to a nursing home.  Hospice said I could keep my own home sand they would come to me. So here I am

J, thanks for all your lovely and concerned calls

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Gloria, I'm glad Hospice made their suggestion that you accepted.  I think anyone is better off in their own home, especially when there is nothing that requires a hospital stay.  You have nice neighbors who look after you somewhat.  I think none of my neighbors know how old I am and probably don't even know that Tom lives here.  My very near neighbors do know that I'm old.  I do not picture me getting the help from my neighbors that you get from yours.  As long as I'm as able as I am, I don't care.

I think Larry's suggestion of crackers is a good one because they don't have a lot of grease or seasoning and that should be why they stay down.  I hope they work for you.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Vanilla-Jackie

Patricia...
...beautiful song, beautifully sung but this song does bring tears to my eyes, for you see, my late father had a wonderful Tenor voice and simply idolised the late Mario Lanza...Nessun Dorma was one my late father often would sing, father also sang a tad in Italian, as during WW2 when he was a Para he was lost in action, and I believe it was around this time that he met an Italian woman who he dated...Father also fought on the front-line in Africa...
" There is no present like the time "

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We are in for our 100 degree or above heat day, the third in a row.  Going to be a hot one for picnics and there is a Greenjackets baseball game this afternoon in our new semi-pro ball park downtown.  Not going to be a nice day to set in the stands or play on the field.  I got up at 5:30 this morning, after a pretty good nights sleep last night with the help of near exhaustion when I went to bed and a sleeping pill.  I have a number of things on the schedule today and find I probably must get them done in the mornings as seem to really be tired in the afternoon.  I spent all morning yesterday writing on these message boards and know I must be less wordy and take less time, at least for a couple of days until things slow down. Scott is planning on getting the bracket to put the TV on the wall of my bedroom that is now on the just sitting on the piano, fix the oxygen hose so I can have it working at my easy chair (I was able to get it fixed so I had it in bed and we took the CPAP machine out of the mix and just going with the oxygen.  I have a number of other small things for him if he has time.  After about 4 days he said yesterday his migraine had finally gone away.

Will make only limited comments today.

Jean, hope today finds you feeling better.  Down days are sure no fun and interfere with what we really want to be doing.  Do you know you can dim the iPad background?  I like mine about as bright as I can get it.  There is also an extension that lets your switch back and forth from a black background to the normal white background on the screen.  Does wearing sun glasses help? 

Mary Ann, it was a relief to me to read you have stopped trying to cross your street to the mailbox and that Tom is taking care of that.  Did you know you can get a daily notice from the Post Office of most things to be delivered that day. It gives a pretty good idea of whether there might be anything important in the days mail.  Pat isn't used to have to bring in the mail and I am no longer able to do the job I have done for many years.  Scott will always check the box on the days he comes out and often we don't even bother to get the mail on a daily basis if nothing has appeared that is important (this is something with a check in it--don't I wish).  Please get a walker as they are very light weight and fold up when not in use.  I now must hold on to something everysteps and the last couple of days am spending a lot of time in the wheelchair to get around the house.  Because of the carpet and narrow doorway (although Scott took off the actual door to my new bedroom I still have to get through a little alcove to the bathroom, I use the Rollator in my bedroom and bath as it is smaller and it is only a few steps.  I have put my office chair aside and now am using the wheelchair at my office computer.  Still learning how to use it and dealing with these driving wheels for hands that stick out pretty far.  However, paint and cabinets can be fixed if I scratch them but try to be as careful as possible.  I can use my feet to help propel as arms are weak and often go a few paces and have to stop to rest. So far I have only praise for Hospice and all that they have been able to accomplish so quickly.  Pat thought the head nurse was a bit unhappy when I asked her to go ahead and fill my medicine box for the second week while she is here.  I didn't see it and quite frankly I don't care as it seemed she willing did the job.  I just don't see the negatives that Pat seems to see in people and things (no criticism of my wonderful wife intended just stating my observation of now almost 57 years).  I guess we balance each other out a bit.  Glad Jan is doing what she needs to take care of herself.  She has a heavy load just caring for her parents. 

Marilyne, aren't we fortunate to have loving mates and sons so willing to help us.  God has indeed blessed me and now the wonderful people of Hospice are helping me so much (and it is obvious to me I was ready for that help and it takes much load off Pat.  However, she had to agree to be my caregiver, which she willing did, but as soon as that becomes too much for her she had to agree to let them put me in a Hospice facility, which if I understood correctly is something they have at one of the local hospitals not too far from where we live.  I told Pat I certainly want that as she has her own health problems and don't want my care to be too much of a burden and break her health down more.  Whatever needs to be done is fine with me.  I am trying to do all I still can to take off as much of the responsibility from Pat as I can but that is becoming harder almost on a daily basis. 

Joy, all the very kind comments about me bring tears to my eyes (I seem to be crying a lot these days I know a lot of that is due to weakness but also because that is part of my being).  Rather than talk with my sister about there upcoming visit in about 3 weeks we wrote back and forth otherwise she and I both are in tears during a lot of our conversation.  It took the emotion out although won't deny a tear or two appeared as I wrote.  When I was growing up men were not suppose to cry.  What a lot of hogwash and I have never found condemnation by anyone when I have to gather myself and wipe my eyes. 

Lindancer, it is my hope that I can live out the rest of my days here in our very nice home but the minute my care becomes too much for Pat on a daily basis as the agreed caregiver I will go wherever Hospice feels I need to go.  I will be cancelling all of my preset doctor appointments today that I can online and call my dentists office to cancel my scheduled cleaning.  I don't have to leave the confines of my home unless I feel up to it and how freeing is that.  I was told to eat what I want, drink as much water as I want or other things like Cokes, and do what I want to do and am able and no more.  How freeing is all of that and Pat agrees with it so am not nagged other than to be sure I have taken my medicine. I know we are much more comfortable here in our homes than in a facility of some kind. 

Jackie, Nessum Dorma is one of my al time favorites and listen to it often as many tenors can sing it well especially those high notes at the end. 

Will I see my intentions of a very short posting today didn't happen.  However, you all rank high on my priority list so be it.  Most of the things on my list can always wait if needed but I like to get things done if I can and still have several hours this morning.  Nothing strenuous on my list except for my poor son. He has carpal tunnel so bad in both of his hands that they are numb most of the time and while he can use his hands they tingle and hurt.  We have been encouraging him to get the operation on them but his wife didn't have a good experience with hers and I think that has scared him off but I think he is now about ready and I know many people have very successful results from the operation.  My folks sure did.

Mary Ann

What a nice informative post from Larry this morning.  I know your expected shorter post was for your benefit, but we benefit from the longer post.

Larry, I don't think you realize our road is not the typical road; it is not a through road, that is, you can't drive through here to get to another part of the world.  All traffic in here is destined for this condo complex; there is an inlet but no outlet other than the inlet.  Sometimes the road is busy but mostly not. 

I don't know our forecast for the day, but no rain shows on the radar.  The sun is shining and our temperature is 60 degrees.

Early this afternoon, Tom and I will go to Dot's for sauerkraut and kielbasa to celebrate the holiday.  I'm not sure "celebrate" is the right word for this holiday but no other comes to mind. 

Tom is fixing French toast for breakfast.  we buy 12-grain bread and it is delicious as French toast. 

I was glad to see Kevin Na win the golf match yesterday.  Even with an Oriental name, he is an American. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Last evening one of my neighbors had guests, probably about six.  No matter where they are outside, the sounds come into my condo.  I wondered how I would cope with that but I realized they were not shouting, no profane language, music was OK, at least not what we attribute to the younger generation, just ordinary visiting and I could hear most of it.  I decided because it was really just ordinary conversation that I would say nothing.  I think the people were in their 40s, maybe 50s, so it wasn't a young group.  Tom came home about 9:30 and I told him about the group so he wouldn't try to go to sleep and get upset at the noise.  Shortly after 10 pm the talking ceased and I don't know if they went home or inside.  Anyway, I was pleased at how things went.
Another story - I have two tomato knives that when I do anything in the kitchen, I use almost exclusively.  A couple of days ago one could not be found.  I was very upset because I do use them, and often.  Tom looked and could not find the knife.  This morning, I found a tomato knife in a jar with other utensils and I decided Robin had put it there.  But the odd thing is that I now cannot find the knife I had been using.  I know it is in the kitchen area and it will turn up, but it is always something of mine that is missing - sheets, back scratcher, screw driver, can with nuts and things I've forgotten.  And no one cares except me!!!

I no longer go to the cemetery but I fill the urn here that used to be in the cemetery.  I was doing all of the work and buying all of the flowers and I decided I could honor my parents here as well as in the cemetery.  My mother died 77 years ago and my dad died 49 years ago.  Seems like yesterday.

Mary Ann
[/size][/color]

Amy

Patricia, that was amazing!! They each have wonderful voices and when they come together they are a powerhouse!! When I get to the city, I hope I can find their cd..and it will join IL Divo and others in my collection.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

Larry - you and AJ appear to be similar in many ways, and Pat and I do too.  AJ sees nothing but the good or the best in everyone, and is totally non-judgmental.  I'm much more critical, and judgmental, and not nearly as calm and accepting as he is.  We have a few doctors in common, and it's interesting that we view them through totally different eyes.   AJ is 100% trusting and in sync with doctors, likes them all, and follows their advice to a T.   I'm much more critical and questioning, and tend to come home after a doctor appointment and let off a lot of steam!  (So to speak.)  Although I never challenge a doctor, or anyone in else who is in charge of a situation, I do often complain and seeth in private. LOL  ::)  >:(  :-\

Mary Ann - I agree that Gloria de, is very fortunate in having such caring neighbors, who check on her, and look after her.  When we first moved to this house/neighborhood, we knew everyone, and were close friends with many of the couples and families who lived on the street, and some of the surrounding streets.  They are all gone now, and we are the only ones left from the old days.  They other houses have changed owners many times, and are now all owned or rented by people from foreign countries, who work in the Silicon Valley tech industry. 

On one side of us is a couple from Russia. On the other side is a Chinese family, and directly behind our house is a couple from Iran.  In all three houses, their children are grown and recently moved away or in college.  The adult family members look to be in their late 50's or early 60's, and are all still working.  The rest of the houses on the street, are owned by mostly Chinese families, with a few  other Iranian and Indian families.  You absolutely NEVER see the children playing outside, riding bikes, walking to school, etc.  There appears to be absolutely no social interaction between the different people who live here.  Our house sits up on a higher lot, so I can see almost the whole street, and notice the no one speaks, waves, visits or interacts with each other in any way.

I see I got carried away with describing my neighborhood. I continue to be amazed at how strikingly different it is from what it used to be, and how I seem to be the silent observer in a changing world.         

FlaJean

Marilyne, my ophthalmologist says my problem is a neurological problem and has nothing to do with my lens.  I do have a lazy eye and I have had symptoms for a long time they have suddenly gotten worse.  Of course, I have been spending more time on my iPad and perhaps that is why I've noticed a difference.

It is like an oven outside here.  It is 86 but feels around 90 or 92 according to the weatherman.  Sure glad we have AC.  I noticed on the Weather Channel that there is a lot of flooding in the Midwest.  Have a good day everyone.

Vanilla-Jackie

Patricia...
...I forgot to comment on Forte ( Americas got Talent ) ...they are absolutely brilliant, they have a great future ahead of them...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

I'm watching the Weather Channel now and notice the storms are heading for the Chicago are which means they'll try to cross the lake.  Storms on Lake Michigan often dissipate before they get this far, however, that doesn't mean we don't get storms.  Tom just left for Holland to be with his friend, Mary, and he hopes they can get to the Saugatuck beach before the rains come.  And they'll sit in the car and watch the rain.  Now is when I wish I had a covered porch where I could watch the storm but I'm more likely to sit on the davenport and watch it come in.  The clouds are in layers. 

We had a nice lunch with Dot and her next door neighbor, Ruthie.  They've been friends for several years and when the unit beside Dot was available, Ruthie moved in.  They often get together to play cards and they go shopping together some times.  Ruthie has her own health problems.  Our lunch was kielbasa in sauerkraut, baked beans, potato and a jello salad.  I won't have to eat "heavy' for supper and I will be alone then.

Marilyn, when I was young, I knew everyone on both sides of our street and even a lot of people in the north end of town because of classmates.  When I was on the Board here, especially as Treasurer, I knew everyone in our complex.  I haven't been on the Board in over 15 years, maybe more, and I know a few people, but certainly not every couple here (children are allowed but we have no facilities for them so parents do not buy here).

Jean, while I know my eye problem is not neurological, I wonder, too, about using them on the computer so much.  i don't watch TV until evening, then only in spots, but it does seem that whatever I choose to do involves my eyes. 

I wonder if the weather is why Kendrick is so "clingy".  We were on the deck for a while and I may go back out until it rains. 

Mary Ann

Denver

A blessed MEMORIAL DAY to all.  For some reason I do not like to say "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY", as it is not a happy day to me😢😢. I see you kind of feel this way too, MARYANN.

No big plans for the day.....the weather is sketchy at best....not much sunshine and lots of storm warnings out for the day.  Normally we would take flowers to the loved ones graves, but think we will wait until later when the weather improves. 

We did have a nice meal with Dave and Family yesterday afternoon.  It was a pretty day until it was time for us to go to their home and then the clouds rolled in and we had some lightening and thunder with a few drops of rain here and there.  The table was set to eat outdoors, but the lightening made us change our minds🙀🙀. We did go out later and the kiddos had S'mores at their fire pit.  Michel was doing the best she has in quite a long time.  She started on a regiment of steroids to help clear up the terrible acne rash she has on her face and in her hair.  As we all know steroids make us feel better and it was good to see her acting more normal being with the family🥰🥰 She did not have chemo today due to the holiday so she has a bit of a catch up time before the one next week ON HER BIRTHDAY 😢😢. Tomorrow is their 25th wedding anniversary......sadly there is no planned celebration like I am sure we would have had under a normal situation. 😢.

We are going to pick Matthew up tomorrow and take home to the Boy Scouts Headquarters to get a paper signed, one of the very last things that needs to be done before he can get his Eagle Scout.  He has been qualified since the first of the year, but with all that has been going on he has not been able to get to where he needs to get the signatures....but SOON we all will celebrate his accomplishments🥰. After we are done we will stop and get a bouquet of flowers and a card from the kiddos for them to give to their Mom and Dad. 

LARRY, although your posts are so appreciated by me, I too, find my eyes filling with tears as I read your thoughts.  I am very proud of the way you have accepted your health situation and have made the best decisions for you and for Pat.  Thankfully I am one of the ones that share a wonderful marriage and I know we are very blessed. With so many sad situations in our life recently, Bob and I both are feeling our ages and find ourselves being quite emotional. 

MARYANN, I am happy you and Tom are with Dot today enjoying time together.  I have to say I miss the old days when families would all gather together on holidays and enjoy each other.  My grandma never missed a grave of our loved ones on this day putting beautiful flowers out of her garden on each and every one of them.  It took the better part of the day to drive to all the different cemeteries, but she took pride in doing it Year after year. 

MARILYNE, I did have to chuckle a bit as I read your post today.  Bob and I are quite the same as you and your hubby...  I guess that is what helps to have a happy marriage....a nice balancing act!

PATRICIA, I loved listening to your song you shared.  Thank you. 

Special HUGS to you, JACKIE.   

I wish you all a good day......the storms are very threating out there, so I hope you all are safe from anything coming your way!

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

I know I'm repeating myself but I don't want to go back to see how long ago it was - but I no longer go to the cemetery on Memorial Day.  Ever since my mother died in 1941, I bought and took flowers to plant in an urn on the lot.  I have an idea my dad went with me to plant the flowers but after he died in 1970, it became my responsibility.  I had no physical or financial help.  I really was glad to do it for my folks but in recent years it got to be too much.  Norm was still alive when I asked him and Dot to go with me to get the urn and bring it here.  We picked up the urn and it now rests beside my garage service door.  I'll put a planter in the urn and that will be my memorial to my parents.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Mary Ann god was good to me, by putting me in this neighborhood.  I have heard about some neighbors that are fighting all the time and calling the police.   My mud pie friends are all gone.

Larry I was so luck to be married 62 years to such a good man,We fought enough to make like spicy. Fun making up :)  I forgot if I wrote hospice has a lovey facility in
Westhampton on the water.  I think it is called Kennsie center

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Beverly

Memorial Day started off beautiful, though hot, (98)  but late this afternoon it clouded over and we had a thunder shower with a downpour for about an hour. We can use the rain.

Hope you all had a good day. I'm with those who have a hard time saying "Happy Memorial Day". One of my brother's best friends in high school lost his life in Vietnam. He left his wife (high school sweetheart) and three children. I still keep in touch with her. She never re-married.

Jenny - I'm glad Michelle had a good day with the family. Congratulations to your grandson who is on his way to becoming an Eagle Scout!

Mary Ann - Your lunch sounds good, except for the sauerkraut and kielbasa. We had hot dogs in a bun, baked beans and mac and tuna salad. My favorite picnic type lunch! All that was missing was toasted marshmallows. Chape loved it. He said "Wow! We haven't had this in years!" Most of the time we have meat and vegetables.

Jean - My eyes are light sensitive too. I can't step outside without sunglasses. You might like blue-light glasses. My son got me some for Christmas. They work well but I wish these fit over my regular glasses. They're rather expensive but I may order a pair made to wear over glasses. You can wear them inside for TV or the computer.

Larry - Chape has become more emotional in recent years.  I have always been emotional in both happy and sad situations. Do you remember when Maxwell House had their touching Christmas commercials? Every time one came on I broke into tears!     

Lindancer - I like the phrase "mud-pie friends".

Bedtime........Good night all.

Mary Ann

Beverly, I don't recall anyone close dying in any war, but I do know the origin of Memorial Day is to honor those who have died, now at any time, and how can we be happy for that?

I laughed when you said our lunch was great except for the sauerkraut and kielbasa - that was the reason for the lunch.  I have always liked sauerkraut and often asked for it when I was a kid (a sour kraut? - I have German ancestry).  My mother would fix it except for weekends because it stunk up the house and she didn't want it on weekends. 

I have what I think is a routine appointment with the PA of my cardiologist today.  Last year the doctor floored me by telling me to come back in a year!  Usually it was every six months.  We'll see what the PA has to say.  I'm feeling as good as I did last year.

Radar does not show rain in our area today but the sun is not shining yet.  The tornadoes were south of our state.  We have tornadoes, but not with the frequency of other states.  We should be in the 70s today.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

When my late husband retired from the Navy, we bought a farm in Alabama (40 acres!)  He started planting cabbage and other spring veggies in January.  I was still teaching school and dreaded coming home to find washed/chopped cabbage or toward the end of my finding umpteen tomatoes sitting on the freezer ready to go into our kettle for processing!  I had paper work that usually needed to be prepared and turned in and worried that I'd never get everything ready for that last day of school.  However, I persevered and managed--but I sure was tired when school was finally over!

Sue

Joy

Good morning.  I did not get in here yesterday. I tried several times, but kept getting waylaid for some reason.

RIght now the sun is shining and there is blue sky.  Just about 5 min. ago, it was a short shower.  I think that is what the weather man has predicted for most of the week. Sunshine with very scattered brief showers

I am just stopping by to say "Hello".  I need to get myself pulled together as I am expecting the maintenance man to finish working on my A/C.   He had to order a new part, and I hope it has come in. So far, I really haven't had any problems with it being too hot. But, those hot days are coming.

Beverly and Mary Ann, I am also one who does not like to hear someone say "Happy Memorial Day".  It certainly isn't a very appropriate greeting.  For so many people, it isn't a Happy Day !   I did hear someone mention on the TV the other day, that is so much nicer just to say "Hope  you  have a meaningful day".

Sue, nice to see you here this morning.

I hope every friend has a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Another very hot day ahead at 100 degrees or more. 

My kind neighbor across the street, James, was over yesterday and checked out my sprinkler system and will take over any care needed and set it exactly as his is set as our units are identical.  I offered him the king size bed we took out of the guest bedroom I am using now and he was happy to have it for his fourth bedroom upstairs.  It should well work for an occasional guest.  I am happy to be able to help him and know I can count on him.  It is one less responsibility off of Scott's shoulders.  If Scott or Jennifer doesn't want it and I am pretty sure they won't as don't have room for it, I will also offer it to James.  Except for a couple of places on the arms where the thin covering has pulled away a little bit it is still in good shape.  He is still furnishing his house as didn't have much in the way of furniture when he moved here a couple of years ago.

This morning I have been on the phone canceling all future medical appointments and the monitoring of my pacemaker.  Also taking care of a few other items. Things are coming along nicely.

I felt better last evening than I have in a very long time and my appetite is already returning quickly.  Today ends my first week on Hospice and I couldn't be more pleased.  A nurse and an aid will be here sometime this afternoon for their first visits, which they will do for two weeks twice a week. 

A good friend from my Sunday School class was killed in a bicycle accident near where we live yesterday morning early by a driver who was blinded by the sun.  At another location another person ran into a stopped police car also do to the sun.  Our Church family is in a state of shock and it really was an emotionally difficult day for me.  Of course I am so weak now, plus being a pretty emotional person already, that I shed a lot of tears yesterday.  I tear up over happy and sad and sometimes things in between.  :)

Mary Ann, I didn't know that about your road and that is a good thing.  However, still glad you no longer try to get to the mailbox.  We need to do all we can to avoid broken bones.  We also like the 12 grain bread and have found one that Walmart sells that is delicious and for a small loaf less than $1.30 per loaf when it is in stock. Wise decision on the noise from your neighbors.  We have had that in the past as our neighbor at the time had a backyard pool but the party ended in a reasonable time and while the Spanish type music was loud this was a very rare occasion and I have always wanted to get along with my neighbors.  At the last church bazaar I was able to attend I bought a tomato knife and we really like it as well.  I guess I am strange about cemeteries as believe I honor my parents and other loved one by the way I try to live my life and all the cemetery has is what remains of bones.  I believe their souls are with God and not in that casket.  Think we visited my folks grave one time when we were in Missouri.  I have no problem with many people choosing to put out the flowers or going to the cemetery as often as they want. 

Marilyne, you are so right about AJ and I probably having similar approaches to life and seeing the glass half full rather than half empty.  I got a chuckle from your postings.  I agree the world is certainly changing.  I have no problem with different nationalities or blacks living in our neighborhood as long as they maintain their property.  We have been fortunate to be able to afford to live in very modest but reasonable nice neighborhoods and usually have purchased new homes. 

Jean, glad we aren't living back in the days before AC.  We now have the best AC and heating we have ever had in a house.

Jackie, Forte really won over the judges on the program you mentioned.  They do have beautiful voices. 

Jenny, it is unfortunate that many people don't seem to know or care much about why we have Memorial Day.  Congratulations to Matthew as he is obviously a very special boy with good parents.  Nothing wrong with emotions and you two must look after your own situation if you are to stay able to be of help to others. 

Lindancer, my assigned Aid was just here for a few minutes and will be back on Thursday to really start her help.  She seems very nice and I look forward to getting to know her and know about her family.  It sounds like you have a very nice Hospice facility in your area.  I will not hesitate to go to such a facility when I feel the caregiving that Pat is giving now becomes too difficult for her.  I hope we never get to that point but she is always my concern.  I am looking forward to our 57th anniversary on July 7th and maybe even the 58th.  We obviously won't make it to 62 years.  My folks make it to 61 years although they were both in bad health right after then turned 80. 

Sue, I know there is a lot of work involved with having a big garden as saw my other and grandmother spend many mornings and days canning and freezing things during the season from the very large garden my folks had.

angelface555

"How Memorial Day started
Memorial Day's date has changed over the years, but the very first holiday was planned for April 26, 1866, in the wake of the American Civil War.

In January 1866, the Ladies' Memorial Association in Columbus, Georgia, passed a motion agreeing that they would designate a day to throw flowers on the graves of fallen soldiers buried at the cemetery, Gardiner said.

However, the ladies didn't want this to be an isolated event, so Mary Ann Williams, the group's secretary, wrote a letter and sent it to newspapers all over the United States."

https://www.livescience.com/54919-true-story-behind-first-memorial-day.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190527-ls

FlaJean

It is 85 here and will probably get up to 90 by the afternoon.  We went to the library and got a few books.  Probably will stay in the house until this evening and it will be cool enough to take a walk in the park.

Mary Ann, I like kielbasa and sauerkraut.  Sounds better than what we had——TV dinners.  Today I'm going to make some spaghetti.  Gigi and Jeff went to the beach on Okaloosa Island.  She said they had fun playing Kadima ball.  I had never heard of it but I guess that is what they play at the beach.  She said some older people were playing pickle ball.  I'm not a summer beach person but enjoy walking on the beach in late September or October.

My husband is retired military, and our son is 100% disabled from his time as a SeaBee (Construction Battalion) in the Navy.  They had a Veteran's Service in Niceville but it is just too hot for us to be outside.
War is never a happy time and I sure hope we are not headed for another one.

Jackie, I hope you will soon have all your affairs straightened out and will be able to decide if you want to stay where you are or if you want to go back where you are more familiar with people and places.  Decisions are hard especially when you don't have someone close to help you.

Joy, it was nice to see your post.  Trust you are feeling OK.

Gloria, is your daughter-in-law still with you?  Hospice is a good choice that you made and also that Larry has made.  Hospice was a big help in caring for my mother.

Jenny, it is good to hear that Michele had a little better couple of days.  We can only hope and pray for the best.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Mary Ann

When you're 95 years old you like to hear "come back in a year" and that's what I heard this morning at my routine checkup with the cardiologist's PA.  The nurse had trouble with the EKG computer but it was a computer problem, not mine.  A very satisfactory visit as far as I was concerned. 

After we left the doctor's office, we stopped at Wendy's to get something to eat and brought it home.  Tom has to leave shortly so that seemed the best thing to do.  In a while, I'll probably take a nap.

The sun is not shining but it is nice out.  I think our temperature has dropped a degree or two but it is still comfortable. 

Patricia, I am reading between the lines but I think your greeting is from Farrah, you've had your coffee, it is raining and you are waving "hi"!.  So, "hi" right back at you! 

This morning after having read the various posts I read, I went to the Ship channels and when I got to the St Clair River, it was foggy, so foggy you could barely see anything.  Eventually, a ship came by and it looked as if it was floating in the air.  You could not see the water or sky or across the river.  Kind of eerie.

Larry, you and your neighbor are fortunate to have each other to help each other. 

Larry, you and Gloria de have such good Hospice groups, they take care of so much and neither you nor your family has to worry.  I think losing some responsibilities is helping you feel better.

I am glad you now understand about our road.  While we live in the Township and pay taxes at the same rate as others, the Township does not patrol our roads, does not plow in winter; if there is a police problem, of course, they will come in.  Otherwise we pay extra for things that are done for other Township residents.  We also pay to have our road repaved with asphalt - and that is not cheap!

It is terrible trying to drive into the sun as I well know and being short, it was no picnic.  I'm sorry about your friend being killed. 

Larry and Marilyn, I also am a "glass half full" person.  That attitude has worked well for me all of my life; I'm thinking of things that happened at work in a very timely fashion.  I am not a worry-wart.  I cry easily too.

I did not have an A/C until I moved here in 1981.  I am so thankful I have it now.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mornin all.  Great weather here in the GNW, warm days and pleasant nights.  Sure nothing to complain about.  LOL

Have a great day all and Hugs all around.....