Random Image

Lesson 23

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

Olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper.

angelface555

That sounds good too. When I was growing up, we always had a small dish of vinegar with dinner and sometimes lunch. Mom would slice onions and cucumbers with the vinegar and serve it as a side. Often she would include sliced tomatoes as a summer side, and we would make sure to drizzle those with the vinegar from the onions.

I was at lunch the other day where we had enjoyed a bowl of chicken soup that was her mother's recipe. She said she would email us the method after some asked. I received it this morning, and it starts with an undrained can of chicken and one cup of rice. It goes on to include one medium onion, and one 15 ounce low sodium drained can each of carrots and of green beans. She adds a little butter, a little parsley and some water. I'm almost sure she was being "tongue in cheek" about it being her mother's recipe, but these days it might well have been!

so_P_bubble

That soup should have one big onion in it as well!
What is one can of chicken??? with bones?

angelface555

She did include one medium onion, the can of chicken was for 12 and one half ounces undrained. I'm sure it, the recipe, must have been on the back of the chicken can. No bones were harmed in the making of her recipe.  ;)

so_P_bubble

Do you mean that a whole chicken is packed in a can, bones and all? Is it cut or as is?  I have never heard of/seen  a can like that!

Joy

Bubble,  I can buy a can of white meat chicken that looks almost like tuna fish in a can.  I mainly use it for chicken salad.  It comes in a can just a little bit larger than a can of tuna fish.  I think that is probably what Patricia meant ???

I can also get a rotisserie chicken at Walmart.    Are there Walmart stores in your part of the world????   They seem to be everywhere, so I am curious as to whether they have made their way to your area ???

Joy
BIG BOX

so_P_bubble

No Walmart here.  Probably because of Kosher rules.The only American stores I see here are Office Depot and Ace.  Of course Mc Donald is ever present.

angelface555

Bubble and Joy, good morning! Anything and everything, some of which shouldn't, will appear canned in any American grocery. You do not realize how much until you can no longer eat most canned items due to the chemicals involved. Or speak to someone more used to a fresher type of food.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+of+chicken+breast&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS766US766&oq=can+of+chicken&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l5.11097j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

so_P_bubble

Interesting... can save time when in a hurry!

angelface555

Here is what the "Joyful Homemaker" suggests.

"Since most canned chicken comes in around 12 ounces a can, I would roughly substitute 1 can (DRAINED) for every 2 small (6 to 8 ounce) cooked chicken breasts, but depending on the recipe, you can either, eyeball it, weigh it, or measure it in measuring cups.
Most of these recipes are very forgiving when it comes to the exact amount of chicken."

Mary Ann

Patricia, I have to tell you about the cauliflower soup I had last night.  It was made by Tom's lady friend and I could not taste any cauliflower and it had a strange taste I could not identify.  I asked Tom about it later and he said she did not use chicken broth but used almond milk. 

I don't recommend her substitution.  I'll eat more of it because he brought a big container home and it's edible, but not particularly tasty!

Mary Ann

angelface555

You're doing better than I could or would, MaryAnn. Even before my food allergies really kicked in, I could not eat something that tasted bad. Almond milk would be fine in some cereal or dessert mixtures or in some Persian recipes. But I don't see it in this type of recipe at all. :(

angelface555

I'm sure most of you know I meal prep. Dealing with it bimonthly rather than daily is a huge plus for me with demonstrably personally, health benefits. I usually prepare large lots of chicken by rinsing and washing the chicken throughout and then placing it in a crockpot/slow cooker in the evening.

I then add a third full of water to the cooker, a cup of either lemon or lime juice or a type of sweet juice, adding the appropriate seasoning and then leaving it to cook on low while I sleep.  In the morning I debone and take off the skin and discard. Finally, after it has cooled, I shred some of the chicken, chop some of it and leave other bits whole. That chicken, placed in one, two cup freezer bags for uses in individual recipes. I do something similar with pork and other white meat.

Last week I tried something new with a sized family package of frozen chicken breasts. I prepared a bowl with salt/pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, brown sugar, unsulphured molasses, cayenne pepper sauce found locally, vinegar, water enough to mix well, pure sesame oil, granulated garlic, granulated onions, pepper and sea salt. I added just a bit of chunky peanut butter.

Then I spread it over the frozen chicken in the slow cooker, put it on low and went to bed. It was a hit at the potluck I took it to. It was mildly hot but can be easily tricked up for those who prefer a spicier seasoned dish.

angelface555

Another readily prepared meal with or without meat is to take a package of either elbow macaroni or egg noodles and fill a stockpot half full of water with a dash of salt. When the noodles are al dente, drain and set aside. This is where you add your prepared, cooked meat either white or red.

You can spice as you prefer, I used a touch of turmeric,  garlic pepper, Alaskan Alder smoked sea salt, a quarter cup of Mediterranean basil leaves and this added to a pot with two cups reserved of the boiled and still hot water, dried milk, flour and a small bit of oil. I whisked in the spices as it was coming to a new boil, and turned it to low to simmer for a bit.

Finally, I added it to the noodle mix. You may either freeze a portion or not, but this makes an excellent cold weather comforting side dish.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I did not have to have any more of the cauliflower soup and I think Tom didn't have more of it either.  In my estimation, she fixes a lot of odd combinations in an effort to eat sensibly while I don't think you have to have odd tasting food to maintain your weight and health.  Tom thinks it is necessary for him to fix something for me when he eats out. I haven't convinced him it is not needed, that as long as we have something in the house, I can fix something for me to eat.  I like salads and I've had him buy small croissants to use with chicken salad and that makes a good lunch for me.  If by chance I eat "heavier" at noon, I'd eat the salad or croissant for supper.

I admire your meal planning; I don't have enough will power.  Of course, I don't have to fix many of my meals now anyway.

I seem to have something stuck in my space bar because it doesn't always give me a space between words.  I'll have to get out my little computer vacuum.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Thanks, MaryAnn. I do it this way primarily because of my allergies and because  I have to cook as they did before all the convenience and chemicals entered our food. To all those who I've heard saying it's an affectation, I wish they could all go into analeptic shock and pay eight thousand for the privilege.

Mary Ann

Patricia, not all of our internal systems are alike so people should not expect others to be like they are.  We don't all tolerate all foods nor do we all like the same types of food.  Some people are very unfair in their thoughts of other people's ailments.

Tom went to the Farmer's Market the other day and brought home some produce, among them Concord grapes.  He did not know of my experience with grape pop or he would not have bought Concord grapes.  Now nearly 90 years after my experience, it is silly but I hold onto it anyway.  I was about three or four years old and we were in a State park in Minnesota, visiting my uncle and aunt.  Dad had been born not far from that park.  As I said, I was about three or four years old and I ate whatever you eat at picnics; I remember hot dog and grape pop.  I lost everything and always blamed the grape pop.  I still will not drink grape juice or grape pop, both of which are made with Concord grapes.  But for years I carried my dislike to the colors of purple and lavender.  It hasn't been too many years that I decided I could wear purple and/or lavender and I eat green or red grapes and drink white wine (red it too much for me), but I will not touch grape pop or grape juice.  Tom said he didn't mind that I wouldn't eat the grapes, but he would! 

Nothing like your reactions to certain things, Patricia, but they're my reactions and I'm stuck with them.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I understand completely. Besides the luncheon where the lady lied to me about what was in the food she served and then was affronted that I became ill as of course, it had to be all my fault, there was also the time at a Starbucks where I asked them to be sure they were not mixing the regular milk and the barista said they were not. When I became ill and called the store manager to complain, it turned out they just rinsed out whichever pitcher was handy even though one was labeled Soy and the other Milk.

The barista was put on probation and while I never went back to that Starbucks, I heard thru a friend's granddaughter that all who worked there thought the probation was overkill. Really?!  I have heard similar stories about peanut allergy sufferers and even those who for dietary or religious reasons cannot eat certain foods or foods made in a certain way. It's sad the way we treat others so yes I understand your aversion to Concord grapes.

Mary Ann

Patricia, it's unfortunate that others don't believe some people have allergies to food.  I think I have no food allergies, at least none that I know of.  Our church has a Pre-School for three and four year olds and there are signs at prominent places to not bring in any thing with nuts - no nuts at all, let alone peanuts.  Those sorts of people are like those who don't believe certain things in our past history did not happen.

Mary Ann

angelface555

People do not believe in things out of their comfort zone.

How is JeanneP.? these days?

FlaJean

My daughter gets very sick if she eats anything with cilantro.  She is careful to check especially at TexMex restaurants as they use a lot of cilantro.  The server will usually check with the kitchen if they don’t know.

Marilyne

FlaJean - I hate cilantro! :yikes:  It doesn't make me sick, but it ruins the entire meal for me.  Once that soapy, bitter taste is in my mouth, it overwhelms everything else that is served, and stays with me for hours.  It's a mystery to me, as to why the restaurants have started adding it to everything . . . not just the Mexican restaurants, but most others as well. It's now added to potato salad and is in some soups also. :(

angelface555

I looked it up, and there are actual allergies and overdoses involving cilantro. I wanted to note that there is a substantial difference between a sensitivity and an allergy. While a sensitivity can cause physical issues and ailments, such as my lactose intolerance, it can't  kill you as an allergy might, such as with my chemical food allergy.

Here are a couple of links;

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/dangerous-side-effects-cilantro/#gref

https://www.healthline.com/health/cilantro-allergy

So, pay attention, especially as we age to what we put on or in our bodies. Doctors have speculated that my 2000 colon cancer may have either accelerated my chemical woes or been a significant part of their production. Women are taught to nurture others, not themselves and often set aside warning symptoms in the belief that they were/are too tired, stressed or coming down with a cold.

Edit: I'm using myself as an example

angelface555

Apple butter, one of my favorites!

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

Inspired from Cooks.com, Course Condiment,  Author Dan from Platter Talk

Ingredients
Approximately 3 lb. apples
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cloves
Dash of salt
3/4 cup water or fresh apple cider

Instructions
Fill Crock-pot 3/4 full with cored and sliced apples.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
Cover and cook on low setting overnight or until the butter is of a thick, spreadable consistency.
Use an immersion blender to purée and incorporate skins into the apple butter.
If apple butter has too much liquid, remove the lid and cook on high until thickened. Stir often as butter thickens to prevent scorching.

Recipe Notes

Store in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.

Variation: For a less sweet apple butter, substitute 1 cup honey for the sugar.

JeanneP

FRENCH MEAT PIE.

Ingredients

1-1/4 pounds ground pork
    1/2 pound ground beef
    1/4 pound ground veal
    1 cup grated peeled potatoes
    1/2 cup grated onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried savory
    1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 egg
    Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)

Directions

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the pork, beef, veal, potatoes and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the garlic, seasonings and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
    2. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in bread crumbs. Combine egg and remaining water; stir into meat mixture.
    3. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Fill with meat mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Cover edges loosely with foil.
    4. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
JeanneP

RAMMEL

I think everyone should look up - anaphylactic -  (which is what I think angelface555 meant above).
It's a VERY scary thing.  Read about it even if it's so you can identify it in others. It is an emergency situation which can require a quick response. It can also be triggered by things other than food.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

angelface555

Rick my spelling is nothing to brag about. :-[

Yes, that is what convenience food, fast food, and microwavable food do to me. Doctors believe it is some of the chemicals added to preserve shelf life.  Many seniors and babies under a year seem to be getting it.

A simple microwavable lunch of Hormel's $3.50  spaghetti meal sent me to the emergency where I spent four hours unable to breath unassisted and panicking. Now, canned food is becoming worse.

There can also be shellfish, bee stings, spiders, cosmetic and detergents too. My cousin died of a bee sting, and I now carry an EpiPen, for food woes, not bees which are not cheap, and it's going up in price.

SCFSue

I am allergic to bee stings and keep an Epi-pen on hand at all times.  Unfortunately, Senator Machin's (he's representing WVA) daughter has invested in Epi-pen and has raised the cost dramatically.  The one I have now is at least 2 years old since I last had a bee sting and replaced it.  Public schools must keep at least one on hand--and they are charged the full price.  IMO, this is a public scandal!

SCFSue

angelface555

I agree, but in current times, greed wins. Do you remember awhile back that a man purchased a drug company that made a very needed drug for children's leukemia? After purchase, he raised the price of that required prescription by children by 400%

He eventually went to jail, but it had absolutely no connection in any way to the drug. His crime? Insider trading.