Random Image

april dolls of 2016

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Jeanne, Ken sent me a copy of the obit he had sent to the newspaper.

Mary Ann

JeanneP, it's possible what we saw was a regular obit but not copied from a newspaper but typed; I don't know, Patricia is the one who posted it.

My shoulder has its good days and not so good days.  If I don't do anything, the shoulder usually does not hurt too much, but all of a sudden I'll reach for something and OUCH!  As I've said, I do not have confidence in cortisone shots, but I'll go along with it with this doctor once and not continue.  I cannot raise my right arm over the height of my elbow.  I have to watch what I put in the microwave and often I can put something in OK, but taking it out is something else - and it's hot.  Plates are OK but casseroles are not.

Don't worry about the men - they're all married and know about anything we post - from experience with their wives. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, Ken sent me a copy of the obit he had sent to the newspaper.

Radioman34

Just to keep you up to date, Hal Kelly died this afternoon. His wife called me to let me know,

angelface555

Sandy

Quote from: Radioman34 on January 19, 2018, 06:29:06 PM
Just to keep you up to date, Hal Kelly died this afternoon. His wife called me to let me know,
I am so sorry to hear that Hal passed away...
I understand from the postings that he had a heart attack?
He is certainly going to be missed as he has be a regular poster and friend for years...
My goodness,  I  miss Hal,  already !!!. 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MarsGal

Oh, No! Not Hal!

So sad to hear that Hal is no longer with us. This on top of losing Jeanne Lee makes me feel a little numb.

RIP, Hal.

June Drabek

I'm having trouble accepting the fact that Hal will no longer be with us. Tears keep piling up in my chest, but they won't fall out of my eyes. His family must be devastated.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Mary Ann

I'm shocked to hear about Hal.  I enjoyed his posts and will miss them and him.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Such unexpected shocking news of Hal's sudden passing. He seemed like such a kindhearted and decent man.  I feel so bad for his wife and for his large and loving family.  A real loss for us here in S&F as well.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is going to be a lovely day getting up to 60 degrees and sunny.  I expect this to be a very quiet day of rest.  For the first time since I started using the oxygen at night I got up tired this morning.  I don't plan to go anywhere.  I think the medicine is working as she seems better this morning and isn't coughing as much.  Unfortunately our son does have the flu but did get to the doctor's office quickly and got a prescription for the Tama-Flu medication.

Mary Ann, as I was growing up we didn't have indoor plumbing until I was about 16 or so and my mother used to wash her hair and my sister and mine over the basin.  We did have an inside hand pump but the water had to be heated on the stove.  We have a set of Corning Ware dishes that we can use a handle that attaches and when the dish is finished in the microware or oven we can attach the handle and easily get it out with one hand. 

Don, what a shock to read that Hal died yesterday afternoon.  I had thought he was getting better.  Don, thanks for letting us know.  MarsGal, I agree with your comment about feeling very sad.  I certainly will miss his daily contributions.  Another friend lost.

Bubble, thanks for the additional information.  I have to wonder if he just had another heart attack once he got home. 

JeanneP, I did speed read your posting.  :)

Mary Ann

Larry, I think a handle would not help me because I am short, quite short.  I would be lifting the dish from below; I don't have the advantage people with more height have.  A plate works OK for warming things up and I can get hold of it to get it out of the oven.  I cannot raise my right arm above the height of my elbow.  Thanks for the suggestion.

We have about 35 degrees here now with the sun shining.  It really is to be a rather nice day.  I'd like to be able to sit out on the deck, but I'm not a cold-weather fiend!!!

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Mary Ann, several people out on the ice today.  In fact, there was someone was riding a bike on the ice.  Brrrr.

Mary Ann

Jean, I think the ice close to shore is solid enough to stay but that further out may melt in a couple of days while we have warmer weather.  Then it will start to get cold again, only to get warmer.  I saw half a dozen people on the ice, one person standing on a mound at the edge of the heavier ice.  I am not sure a bicycle ride on the ice is the wisest thing!

We are around 40 degrees now and Grand Haven isn't too far from that.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

MaryAnn, in some ways we are so much a like, age, right shoulder problems, and I am 4.10 now was 4.11 Just take care and becareful

FlaJean, is it warming up in your part of Fla, I have not talk to my DIL in a week.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

Again we open S and F to find we have lost another Friend Hal. This did shock me as I thought he was getting good reports from his Doctor in the last few months. I know it has been cold in Texas as my Daughter says got down to 17 deg the other night in Houston. I think he got help from his children on doing things so know he was not shoveling snow. This is taking some of the men in my town this last week. I almost try not to open the Obits in my paper every morning. Always someone I know.

Hal. will be so missing in every Forum.
JeanneP

FlaJean

Gloria, it is beginning to warm up some.  We went to the grocery store this afternoon and it was about 64F.  I had on a light jacket and it was so nice out.  Supposed to be in the upper 60s for the next week or so but dipping down in the 40s during the night.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Hi Everyone.  We are expecting a very nice day with it getting into the mid-60's.  Yesterday was sort of a lost day as had no energy.  I am up and dressed for Sunday School and Church this morning and seem to be a bit more energetic and know it will do me good to get out and about. I recognize there is a danger of catching the flu by being around other people but just as likely chance that I won't. I will likely watch the pro football playoff games late this afternoon and this evening.  Pat seemed to be feeling better yesterday and my son texted that he was feeling a lot better but was weak and tired. 

Mary Ann, twice in our lives we have had microwaves that sat on the counter and were much easier to put things in and take them out.  However, they did use precious counter space and know you have limited space from what you have said in the past.  It does sound like the oven is a better alternative for you. 

Jean, I wonder if the person on the bike on the ice thought that would keep him or her from falling.  We have to wonder what some people are thinking about in doing such things.  Glad to see your weather is improving and hope it gets back up to normal soon.

deAngel, did you have any trouble finding golf clubs short enough for you?  My mother was just 5 feet tall and my sister is also about that height.  I grew to 5'11" but have shrunk over the years to about 5'8". It seems like Florida isn't having exactly Florida weather for this time of the year. 

JeanneP, you may be aware of this already but Hal had a heart attack a few days ago and was in the hospital for several days.  I am confident that Hal hadn't tried to shovel snow for quite awhile and snow isn't much of a problem that would last in that part of Texas.  I don't even own a snow shovel anymore. 

angelface555

Good morning from the bitterly frozen Interior. All this week and next will be averaging twenty-five to thirty-five below for highs and likely a few forty belows mixed among the lows. I know I have spoken of the weather from "the old days," but that doesn't mean I wanted to relive them! I suppose I should be more careful about what I speak.

Farrah has wanted a lot of attention this past week. It hasn't been a good week on or offline. Here, the Salvation Army truck broke down Saturday, and I had the unhappy task of helping to put up signs on bulletin boards and go to the three that I deliver to and tell them no food boxes. Since the SA only provides a volunteer service, the food boxes are available from the regular pick up site or at least they were yesterday. However, the ones here are in no shape to collect the boxes, so I don't know if there will be other arrangements made or wait until the third Saturday to see if the situation has resolved.

Yesterday was spent doing classes, purging email groups and trimming my email folders. I am still trying to emulate my guiding word for this year, "simplify."  Having a word as a guiding principle each year works better than attempting an unwieldy resolution. Today will be spent getting my homework ready for submission on Monday, and then there is a test on Wednesday.  Perhaps, the colder weather is what I needed after all.

MaryAnn, I looked at the cam and could hear the wind blow. It looks like a frozen wasteland out there this morning.

Mary Ann

Larry, if I put something in the microwave that is too heavy to get out, Tom is usually here to do it for me.  However, I try to make it easy on both of us by not overdoing it! 

Patricia, I looked at Lake Michigan this morning - talk about "bleak midwinter!"

I am not going to church this morning and Dot said she was going to try.  Tom has left and said he'd be back about 10:30 so I will be dressed by that time and we will go OTB, possibly the Cholesterol Pit where I can have a decent Tuna Melt.  If not that, a hamburger.

Mary Ann

Joy

Mary Ann,   the lake sure does look "bleak" this morning.  Such dark gray clouds and just a couple people walking along the shoreline.  No way would you get me out there on a winter's snowy day. 

Hope you get your tuna melt later.  I have never had one,  as I just never could think about "hot tuna fish".  I know that sounds dumb, as I do know fresh tuna is fixed either fried or baked.   One of these days, I will have to try a "tuna melt".  Can't say I ever remember seeing them on a menu anywhere that I have been..  Or,  just have never noticed it.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Good morning Larry, Mary Ann and Joy. :)

I just looked at Grand Haven, and saw four or five people walking around near the edge. I'm curious as to what type of boots/shoes that people wear when they go walking on ice and snow, that keeps their feet from freezing?  Also, when I see a dog walking there, I always worry about their paws?  I've heard that dogs get frostbite very quickly?

Mary Ann - Wish I could join you for one of those tuna melts! :eat:

Mary Ann

Joy, the tuna melt is not hot, it's room temperature.  The bread is fried in butter or oleo and the tuna mix is put on one slice of bread then topped with the second.  I think the bread is taken care of before the melt is put together, but the surface is like that of a grilled cheese.  The mix has some chopped up vegetables held together by mayo.  You may remember I posted a picture ages ago, but otherwise look up Tuna Melt and you might see one similar to what I get.

Marilyn, we wear insulated boots around here and we'd have to be standing on the ice for a very long time for our feet to get cold.  Also, we wear warm coats; mine happens to be a down-filled jacket, other people wear long coats or wool coats.  It can get quite cold here, although not usually as cold as Alaska, so we dress warmly.  When I was a child, I wore a snowsuit to school but I don't see pictures of kids dressed like that today.

I did not go to church today so Tom and I went to the Cholesterol Pit for breakfast where I did have a tuna melt.  I ate half of it there and brought the other half home to finish it here.  Tom had oatmeal that he finished before I was finished.  Dot showed up, having gone to church, and was with a friend.  She came over to say 'hi' and we left shortly after that.

Tom is going out of town this afternoon and will return late tonight.

It is a dreary day and our temperature is in the upper 30s.  There are a lot of people on the ice right now, even some out by the outer lighthouse.  With our warmer temperatures, I fear for the ice out there, but they 're walking on it.

Hal's obit was not in the paper this morning but I'll keep looking.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good afternoon, on this unseasonably warm day.  Yesterday got to 55

Larry, Cyriel cut down all my clubs to size. Except my driver, the one I won a trophy with. for getting closet to the pin in a tournament.
Yes, it was colder in Fla. when my friend called.  she goes down to Naples for 3 months. She did not sound happy, also she has been down there since Christmas, and has not driven.  she is shocked at the amount of traffic.  she is use to driving the back roads here in Riverhead. like I did. She had just bought her place last April.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a cloudy morning but in the 50's.  I had to make a quick trip to Walmart this morning to get a prescription for Pat and to get a bottle of cough syrup for her.  The medication the PA prescribed for her cough doesn't seem to be working and she didn't sleep at all last night.  However, she does think the congestion is better.  Apparently the coughing goes on for quite a few days.  I have nothing else on my schedule for today.  I did watch the late afternoon pro football game and then the first half of the second game.  The first game was competitive and the second was not. 

Patricia, just when we think we have the weather patterns figured out it changes. That is very cold temperatures you are experiencing. I hope you can stay warm in your apartment. Too bad that the Salvaation Army food boxes couldn't be delivered as they are probably depended upon. You are certainly one busy lady with your classes and all that you do. 

Joy, I love tuna on a cold salad but don't think I have ever had a tuna melt sandwich but probably would like it. 

Mary Ann, nice that you were at the Cholesterol Pit at the same time that Dot was. 

deAngel, thanks for the info on how you got the shortened golf clubs.  Was this the first year your friend has gone to Florida for the winter months?

Mary Ann

We had a lightning and thunder storm this morning.  It was hard to believe when I heard the thunder.  Later I saw a flash of lightning and it was near enough to create a very loud sound of thunder.

I am still looking for an obit for Hal but have not found one yet.

Sandy in the Random Image pictures to my left is a darling picture of Fe with her purple and blue stocking cap.  She's a cute little girl.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Rain here this morning.  Typical California rain, which translates to light drizzle and sprinkles off and on, with an occasional shower that lasts about five minutes.  Better than nothing, but never enough.  However, the good news is that it is snowing in the Sierra, which means good runoff in the Spring, to dams and reservoirs.

Slim pickin's around here as far as food is concerned, so I'll get ready and go to Safeway, first thing this morning.  I also need some stuff from Walgreen's, so will be gone a couple of hours.  Fortunately both places are only a few blocks away, so I won't have to drive far in the slushy rain. 

Larry - sounds like Pat is better, but has that lingering cough that's so annoying and hard to control.  I hope that by tomorrow she will be on the road to recovery. 

Lindancer

Good afternoon, just past noon hour, Cloudy, but warm for this time of year.  Heavy rain to morrow. Big cold front on its way.  Of course in is Jan.

MaryAnn, they are saying heavy rain to morrow, with thunder storms. In the 50's which is not normal for this time of year.

Larry, glad Pat is feeling a little better. the cough stays around.  No, this is not my friends first visit to Fla. they have been going down, for a few years and staying on Key Largo, but in april of last year, decided to buy in Naples.  I could not believe the traffic in Tampa, when I was there a few years ago3 lanes of traffic going each way. the last time I was there, it was still country.

Joy

Mary Ann,   I guess those thunderstorms are working their way east,  as our weatherman has predicted for early morning thunderstorms tomorrow morning. Very unusual for this time of the year, and especially in the morning hours. And, then more rain throughout the day.

It is almost up to 60º right now, and kind of hazy out.

I have been busy this morning.  Fixed the green beans that I had gotten at Walmart and they sure are not the best.  Nothing like the nice green, crispy ones you get in the summer.  I have them in the crockpot with some pieces of ham and sliced onions and will add the potatoes in an hour or so.  I called 2 of my sons,  for them to stop by and pick up their dinner.  Since my one daughter-in-law is a vegetarian, I fixed her just a bowl of the beans and will put a couple potatoes in with them before I add them to the pot of beans and ham.  I also made up some coleslaw, so they should feel pretty good about not having to fix any dinner tonight.  I also have a container of the rest of the Christmas cookies for each of them. So, that will provide dessert.

I did taste the beans and they are ok.  I think I will wait until summer before I fix any of them again. 

Sorry that Pat isn't feeling a lot better.  Those coughs seem to just go on and on and on.  Sure hope she will soon be feeling lots better.

Larry, I wanted to mention to you, that as soon as I check out my order with the online Walmart shopping, the total amount has already been charged to my credit card.  Then, when I get my order, the amount is always different.  Depending on what produce weighs and if they make any substitutions or out of something.  Have you noticed this happening?   A couple orders back, they had completely forgotten a package of ground beef, but still charged me for it.  I couldn't get through on the phone to the store, so I just forgot about it.  But, this time the different is about $4, so I think I am going to re-add the order and then try to get through to the store. 

Well, now the sun is making an appearance and it almost looks like a real nice summer day out my window.  Those kind of days can't come fast enough.

Jenny, all 3 of my son's were in Cub Scouts and we participated in a lot of Pinewood Derbys.  I remember one time one of the boys car was just the block of wood with wheels on it.,  His dad wasn't that interested in helping him, I guess.  Some were really done so well.  You could always tell the ones who had had helped and those who didn't.  Those were fun days.  I was a Den Mother for all 3 of the boys and my husband was Cub Master and also was Scout Master for several years.  He kept having to take the job, because couldn't get anyone else who wanted it.  One year, we also had the son of the Mayor of Baltimore City, and he did come to several of the dinners, but never came to any of the meetings.  The Mayor's driver would bring the boy and he would wait outside until after the meeting.  I think he only lasted one year.  Was kind of sad at the time.

I guess I better get back to the kitchen and start cleaning up my mess.

Have a good afternoon.

Joy

BIG BOX