Random Image

Parade-10.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Other Medical Conditions

Started by jane, March 30, 2016, 11:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

This is a general place to talk about medical conditions not covered by a specific discussion here at Seniors and Friends.

maryz

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Kelly

Hi Jane
Thank you for the 'Other Medical Conditions'  board.

kelly

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

maryz

Has anybody around here had total knee replacement surgery?  I'm seriously considering this for sometime after 1 October.  I'm looking for helpful hints, experiences, things to do pre- and post-surgery, etc.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Vanilla-Jackie

I asked this a year ago, guess the answer was no but.....is there anybody here now who has Multiple Sclerosis?.....If so, I would sure appreciate some company....( without wishing this horrible disease on anyone else...)....It is the old, old cliche..." it takes one to know one....only someone else with MS can understand someone else with MS, and what the illness is really like.....
" There is no present like the time "

maryz

Jackie, I've had some acquaintances with MS, but no close experience.  I hope you find someone to "talk" to here.

RAMMEL

FWIW - No one understands or appreciates the problems of ailments like another with the same problem.

Mary - Gunther has had knee replacement. Haven't seen him post here lately but he was an Apple user so might be talking with Apple people. From what I've heard from some who have had knee replacements, the after care/rehab is a big part of it. The guy that does my taxes had his knee done a year ago and his doctor wanted him to build up his leg muscles before the surgery.  The best bet is probably a discussion with your Doc's (if they do that)well ahead of time.

Good luck.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

maryz

Thanks, Rammel.  I've been told there can be a "pre-hab" for about three weeks prior.  I'll certainly do that if available.  And I've had a shoulder replacement - I know how important the rehab and PT can be.

RAMMEL

Quote from: maryz on June 07, 2016, 10:46:18 PM
Thanks, Rammel.  I've been told there can be a "pre-hab" for about three weeks prior.  I'll certainly do that if available.  And I've had a shoulder replacement - I know how important the rehab and PT can be.

Aha ---- Now tell me about shoulder replacement. If mine get worse I may have to consider it. I've had left shoulder worked on once and the right one twice. Trimmed the acromian(sp) in the right one both times. Doc said there's arthritis in it. Can't lift it overhead any more. After the last op he said don't worry, we can always put in a replacement   :'(    I found the shoulder surgeries to be fairly painful.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Thank you both Rammel and Maryz, thankfully I am a member of a well known MS society forum, so as and when I need advise, comfort, or a listening ear, I turn to my like minded friends there.....but you folks in S & Fs know me far more better, and for far more longer..... ;D
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Rick, I think Gloria Z who posts in Soda Shoppe, had shoulder surgery and it took a long time to heal, I'm not sure she can raise her arm too high yet.  You might check with her.

Mary Ann

maryz

Rick - I fell in August, 2012 and badly fractured my left upper humerus.  I've had three surgeries on it since then.  The immediate surgery was a plate and screws.  That failed very quickly - just not enough solid bone for it to hold, and the fracture didn't heal around it.  The second surgery was a partial shoulder replacement, i.e., just the shaft and head that goes into the arm.  Again, that failed to hold and was loosening.  In May 2014, the doc did a reverse shoulder replacement (google it) as what he deemed a "salvage operation".  It's my understanding this can be a procedure of choice following a severe and/or failed surgery for rotator cuff tear or for a failed partial replacement.  This has held well for me.  I can't actively raise my arm above shoulder level, but it can be passively raised above my head without pain.  I have almost no pain with it - some occasional twinges.  It's annoying sometimes, but after two years, I'm pretty much used to it.  And I tend to be pretty much accepting - as in "It is what it is" -- deal with it.  And as long as there's no pain, I do.

The postop physical therapy for shoulder surgery is pretty rigorous and can definitely be painful.  I was told to be sure to take pain meds before going to PT - and I did.  BTW, my brother-in-law (about 8 years older than I) has had both shoulders replaced (for arthritis, not following injury, as mine was) and has done very well with his.  I think he's still  able to put his carry-on bag into the overhead compartment on airplanes - something I certainly couldn't do.

Good luck with yours.

So now we're on to a knee replacement.  It's going to be even more fun with the x-rays at airports.  LOL

RAMMEL

Thanks Mary.  I'm aware of the reverse shoulder replacement. Read about it several years ago, possibly in a Mayo Clinic Publication. It seemed favored by the writers sources.  As long as I don't do something stupid my shoulders feel pretty much OK - except when I sleep and get into a wrong position. If I try to use my right arm over shoulder height I get some hurt, which takes a while to go away. I think the two surgeries I've had have upset the geometry of the shoulder. As with you, I cant actively raise the arm but passively I can.

Good to have a place here to discuss, complain, learn, etc   :thumbup:
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

junee

jane

angelface555

My father had a number of them in the mid-nineties. He died on 10/95 but between three major strokes, he had a fair number of TIAs. It got so each time he had to be taken to a dentist or doctor, or some office, he would sit unmoving for a minute or two and then resume as if a switch had been turned on or off. He had almost total blockage of his carotid arteries.

He was between 85 and 87 when he died so it was a period of about two years where they became almost a daily event or two.

SCFSue

I have 2 friends who had more than one TIA  sometime around 2005.  One of them had one while playing bridge at my house.  The other one was sitting to her right when the one playing the hand just sat there instead of playing a card.  The other one said she's having a TIA.  I said I'm calling an ambulance and the TIA person managed to mumble NO, but I did it anyway.  The ambulance arrived in 3 minutes (I live near a fire station).  The driver told me they had to hurry because the emergency phone person told them they'd better hurry because I was her favorite teacher.  She didn't identify herself to me, was very professional--but I knew who they were talking about.

The one who recognized the TIA died in August.  The one who had the TIA had adjustments made to her meds and at 87 is doing very well.  BTW, I cleaned up the bridge stuff and our dinner dishes and went out to the hospital where I sat with her in a bed/cubby until 2:00 a.m. before she was seen by a doctor.  Does this resonate with you who may have had similar experiences?

Sue

angelface555

Sue, my sister who retired from nursing and then as a hospital administrator said thats why they call it a practice!

I have been at two people's bedsides when they died. It was very obvious physically and yet the time of death was listed hours later as that was when the doctors came to call it.

Joy

Wondering if anyone is taking Lasix?   I have been having trouble with my legs and ankles swelling and my doctor suggested I try the Lasix.  She said I don't have to take it everyday. If I am going out, just don't take it that day.  I know that it will take potassium out of your system. I have blood work done just about every 6 weeks for other problems, and wondering if there would be a problem with the potassium levels  if  every 6 weeks is ok.  The doctor said I could eat something like a half-banana, or a few dried apricots, or some other food high in potassium on the days that I take the Lasix.  I am only take 20 mg. and only 1 time in the morning. 

Just would like to here someone else who has had experience in taking it. 

Thanks.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Hi all - just a general question about a medication that I started this week.  It's called Triamterene-hydrochlorothiazide, which is generic for Dyazide.  It's a diuretic and potassium pill.  I've taken the plain HCTZ for years, and have had no problems.  However, since the doc started me on this new capsule with the potassium, I am not feeling well at all. 
Let me know if anyone is taking this now, or if you have any history with this medication?

angelface555

Marilyne, Google says "Less serious side effects may include:
mild nausea, diarrhea, constipation; dizziness, headache; blurred vision; dry mouth; skin rash."   

Mary Ann

Marilyne, I take hydro==== and a separate potassium pill, both at the same time, and I have had no problems.  The potassium I take has a very different name than your potassium part of the med, so they probably are not the same.  But anyway, I have had no trouble with the combination.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - Thanks for responding. I have all of the reactions you mentioned, plus a number of others. The worst for me being the swollen throat, hoarseness and dry throat. I have existing problems with my vocal cords, (no connection to meds), and the swelling and dryness, has made it impossible for me to speak above a painful whisper.  I've only been taking this med for four days, and today's dose is the last one i intend to take!  Of course, being Friday, I was unable to connect with my doctor, for advice. ::)  Also, my bp has jumped up to extreme levels, but I'm hoping it's a result of stress. I just want this day to end!

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I didn't see your message. Your medication sounds much less likely to cause a reaction, than mine.  Doctors seem to always give me strong meds that overwhelm my system, and I get serious reactions.  It took me a week to get over the last reaction I had earlier in the month. I know he is going to be annoyed when he finds out I stopped taking it.  Incidentally, he knows about my vocal cord problem, so it's too bad he didn't do a little homework.

Cottoncandy

RAMMEL

My wife is taking  Triam/HCTZ  (37.5/25) and had no problem when she started taking it. Still no problem. As was said it is supposed to have few, or minimal side affects.  It's used as a heart med in some places.
HOWEVER --- If you have a bad reaction you should do something about it, like stop, and contact your Dr.. A few years back my wife had a bad reaction to a drug (not triam/hctz) and ended up in the hospital.  Don't persist and get worse.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Marilyne, since it is the weekend and you can't contact your doctor, I think you should go to the ER.  You might first call your doctor's office.  If it is a multi-doctor practice, they should have at least one doctor on call for emergencies.  Then, if no one is available, go to the ER.  You could choke to death.  Take your meds with you.  I just looked up my potassium med - you might ask about it; it is a prescription med.  POT CHLOR ER(KLORCON) M 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Thank you everyone, for the comments and advice:

My cardiologist is in practice alone, so no one else to call or to talk to over the weekend.  His recorded phone message says to go to the ER if you have a problem, and they will notify him. We live close to two hospitals with good ER reputations, so if things get worse, I will definitely go.

Mary Ann - I'll definitely ask him about your HCTZ/potassium med.
Rick - the doctor told me that Triam, was well tolerated by most people. Good that it's worked well for your wife.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Mary Ann on April 28, 2017, 08:59:43 PM
Marilyne, since it is the weekend and you can't contact your doctor, I think you should go to the ER.  You might first call your doctor's office.  If it is a multi-doctor practice, they should have at least one doctor on call for emergencies.  Then, if no one is available, go to the ER.  You could choke to death.  Take your meds with you.  I just looked up my potassium med - you might ask about it; it is a prescription med.  POT CHLOR ER(KLORCON) M 

Mary Ann

Is that KLORCON a fairly large elongated tablet?  If it's the one I'm taking, I hate it. It tends to dissolve too quickly, like in your mouth, if you are not fast enough.  Easy to choke on.  :tickedoff:
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK