Random Image

Madonna and Child, 2009.jpg

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyn

Yay! there will be no problem getting my driver's license renewed. My eye Dr. gave me the go-ahead when he filled out the form stating that I do not need glasses for driving.

maryz

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SCFSue

I've just come inside from chipping ice away from my door and around my car.  Still more to do, but I can only work outside at 28* a short while.  We would like to use my car tomorrow for lunch and the Kroger trip.  I have lots of trees on my lot, so shade around my car which slows the melting.  If necessary we can always take Tim's truck, but it is hard for me to get in--a high step.

I'm planning another day of reading and not doing much else.  I have a half pizza in the fridge, and will heat that for my lunch along with a blue berry/cottage cheese salad.  We were supposed to have bridge at Chicken Salad Chick today, but the hostess chickened out so no bridge.  My life is pretty boring these days!

Marilyn, hurray for the permission to continue driving!

Have a nice day, Buddies.
Sue

jane

Marilyn....HURRAH on getting your license renewed. 

Sue....as Sharon said, be careful in that snow and ice.

Sharon....stay safe in your snow and ice.  We’re above freezing now and to get warmer.  We take our friends to the airport to fly home tomorrow.  They’ve arranged for their car to be picked up at their condo and transported to Iowa.  We hope to meet them for supper tonight at their fav place here.

Darlene...glad you have so much family close.

Ray wants to go to the store in Port Isbel, so I need to get dressed for outside.

Jane

alpiner1

On Tuesday I'm having a PET scan . Have you had one ?  I was told it takes 2 hours , wondering if that is for just the scan . I had a problem laying for the breast MRI , I hope I can make it through the scan .

maryz

alpiner, I've not had a PET scan, so can't help.  I hope one of the other gals can.

Sue, this is a good trick to get the ice off your car (not that you need it very often).  Put water and rubbing alcohol (about 1/1) in a spray bottle, and spray that on the icy windshield.  The ice will melt off very quickly.  It really works.  I've also heard you can put a drop of liquid dish detergent in it, too, but I haven't tried that.  But I agree with the others.  You probably don't need to be out where there might be ice on the ground.

jane, glad you're warming up.

Sharon, y'all should be thawing out, too.

It's finally above freezing here, too - after being 10 this morning - they're saying up to the mid40s today.  I'm planning to get to the Y tomorrow morning!  I hope Jeanne and Ginny Ann are starting to thaw out, too - they've certainly been hit the hardest.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Hi Gals, I just got back from getting my 2nd Synvisc injection in my "good" knee.  Hurts going in but not afterwards.  Roads were clear and dry although there is still snow on unpaved areas.  I hate letting Bunny out becauase it gets matted in her long leg hair and is hard to dry out.  John is gone getting the groceries for me today.

Darlene, glad you're feeling better and that so many of your family could check on you.  That flu is deadly!

Hurray, Marilyn, that you got your doctor's approval of your driving. I'm sure it was a big relief.

Sue, leave the car alone and let your son help you get in the truck.  A little footstool would help too.

Jane, glad your weather is warming up too.  Your friends are going back to IA awfully early.

Mary, I know you will be glad to go swimming again, but be careful if there is any icy spots left.

Alpiner, I have had a PET scan. Yes, it takes 2 hours.  Dress very warmly and comfortably. They keep it like a refrigerator in there.  Part of the time they have you sitting in a recliner with the lights out, I think after they inject or have you drink a solution.  It has been nearly 20 yrs since I had mine.  It will scan your whole body and pinpoint any cancer cells that might be hiding there.  Good luck for a good scan.  Tell them about your back. Maybe they can pad the gurney.

Sue, none of us seem to have too exciting lives these days.  I have to go in and do PT and ride the bike in a few minutes, then I will read. Tomorrow I do have the community brunch.  Sharon

jane

A cold, wet, windy day here...what else is new, huh!!

We did venture out to HEB (grocery store) and WalMart for my prescription, then back here for lunch.

The rain/drizzle started as we were getting back to WalMart to pick up the 'script.  I'd dropped it off earlier, went to the grocery and stopped back.

Waiting now for my hair to dry before we go out for supper.

jane

JeanneP

It finely got up to 29 deg. today . I went to the grocery store and was aiming to take books back to the library. Still was to cold to be out long. I just left them in my car and as they are now saying 39 deg for tomorrow I plan on doing a little more running around.
Mary. I had forgotten about the Rubbing Oil mix to spray on car windows. Took ages the other day to defrost. Still will most probably need to do it again and so will mix up a bottle.
Jane.  You are sure not getting the best of weather yet are you?  But at least you are not having to shovel snow or get it done as you would be doing at home. Hope you warm up soon. I know that family in Houston are tired of the cold. Still down to 22 deg. there last night. She is have to heat that big house. Stables and Kennels. Their Utilities bill will be really something this month. Usually they are paying over $1500 for Airconditioning.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's still very chilly here this morning, but supposed to warm up--and the Weather channel is saying it will go up to 40 in Lanett--a town not far from us.  So perhaps we'll get some warmer temps today. 

Jon and Stacie called this morning to catch up on their news and mine--neither had anything exciting to report, but it was good to hear from them.  They are expecting Nick home tomorrow afternoon from LSU.  He rides home with a friend who also lives in the N.O. area.

I'm expecting Tim and Kris in about an hour.  Neither are working today and we'll go to lunch and Tim will take me to Kroger afterwards--Kris might go, too, although I expect she'll just go back home.

Not much else to report.  I still have some ice on the shady area of my driveway, so hope some sunshine gets on that part and it melts a bit.

Have a good day, Buddies.
Sue

SharonE

I sure hope the weather improves everywhere after this week. I don't like this cold!! Our snow is half melted. Bunny is enjoying running around and sniffing everything, but then I have to get her dry!

I had a nice time at the pod breakfast today and had a chance to talk with some gals I hadn't seen for a while.  One of my bridge friends and neighbor called and offered to take me, so that was nice even though I could have driven myself.

Nothing else going on here.  Sharon

JeanneP

Warming up a little here also. Going to head out soon to the library. with all the flu going around I don't know if picking up books is the thing to do right now.  Maybe just spray my book bag and make sure have the spray on hands. Wash when back home. They now are saying the flu vaccine only 25% so it doesn't hurt to not trust it to much. Think I am turning into a Hypochondriac. But as the doctors and nurses are catching it it pays to be.
JeanneP

maryz

Margaret saw the oncologist today.  She is NOT going to have to have chemo.  :hb2: She is going to have four weeks of radiation, and then will have oral hormonal treatment after that.

alpiner1

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's 10:30 here and I'm still piddlin' around.  I am planning to go outside shortly and drag some downed limbs down to the curb for Monday's trash pick up.  I woke up about 8:15 and stayed in bed another hour to finish reading a favorite book I'd started before bedtime.  As usual the ending was great after lots of conflict, so I was happy once again.  It was a Susan Elizabeth Phillips--and almost all she has written are really good yarns with happy endings. (If you like that sort of thing!)

I usually walk over to the library on Saturday and it is only open until 1:00, so I'm probably not going to make it today.  I'll be rereading other favorites and watching basketball on TV.  Mostly men's games on today, though.

Mary, HURRAY!  I am so happy for Margaret (and you, too) for the good news.  I had radiation treatment and maybe some hormonal, too, but can't remember that far back.  I found my cancer in 1996.  I took some medication, can't remember the name, but think it's the same that Jane took after her BC.  Maybe she'll remember and enlighten us. 

Sharon, it's great to have friends who want to take us to meetings and luncheons, isn't it?  I know that I appreciate mine since I'm still not cleared for driving.  Every time I go outside to do something out there, I look at my car and want to cry!  I'll have to get this brace off my leg first.

Alpiner, I hope you're having a good day plus feeling well.  Are you anywhere near the fires in California?  We lived 3 years in Monterey and 2 in San Diego in the late 60's, early 70's and enjoyed it, but went back to Maine after Bob returned from Vietnam and a tour in Monterey at the Naval Post Graduate School.

Have a good day, Buddies, especially those looking in.  GinnyAnn, we haven't heard from you in a long time.  Check in and let us know how you're coping with snow and ice up there in Ohio!

Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals,  Wonderful news about Margaret, Mary.  So glad.

Sue, I think you took tamoxifen.  I took Femara after chemo and radiation & surgery. I could have driven myself yesterday, but it's more fun to go with a friend.  I know you must be so aggravated at not being able to drive.  That represents a level of independence that we all treasure.

Jeanne, I think you're right to fear the flu. I never thought about the books being contaminated. Maybe that's where I got my cold.  Take caare of yourself.

We talked to Sean last night. He has started driver's ed classes and also the track season.  He's really growing up on us.

Melanie sent a couple pics of their new house. The kitchen is much bigger than I expected. I look forward to seeing it all.

No plans here today except to make some beef and noodles for dinner.  It sounds like such ccomfort food after all this cold.  It is to get to 55 today though!  A real heat wave.

I agree, Ginny, it's been too long since we've heard from you.  Check in.

Jane, I hope your weather is better today.  Sharon

jane

HURRAH for Margaret!!!! :hb2: :hb2: :hb2:

Beautiful day here...big yellow thing up in the sky...and it feels SOOO good.  It was quite foggy this morning, but gone by the time left with the fellows for golf at 9:00am.  A bit before that there was a loud bang and the power went out.  Blown out transmitter, apparently.  Luckily the elevators and hall lights still worked on a back up generator and the north tower wasn't affected.  However, we're in the south tower!  I went out to the Dollar Store and then stopped at grocery for the diet rootbeer I like...and then it upset in the back of the car and one rolled out when I opened the hatch. SMASH!  So I had a lot of glass to pick up from the parking lot.  Came up and got my broom and dustpan and finished cleaning that up. 

Then off for a walk and it was a short one when the hip began to hurt.  Now back with balcony door open and watching the kids in the pool and the Gulf.

Our Iowa friends made it to Mpls...and missed their connecting flight, I suspect as it was leaving 2 minutes after they were scheduled to arrive.  She said they'd get a motel, rent a car today and head home.  The next flight from Mpls to Moline is Monday, so she wanted to get home.  I'm hoping to hear from her soon.

I have some chicken salad in the fridge, so think that'll be lunch today...probably scalloped potatoes and ham for supper. 

jane

Cottoncandy

Mary..good news on Margaret..and also Marlyin on her eyes...Jane beautiful day here as well...already walked and the sun felt so good...I have 4 more days of AB left for my sins infection...be glad to complete that...I think it was allergies also ..used almost 3 boxes Kleenex...mabey we sure start wearing masks when we go out..until flu season is over,,have a great week end..Darlene

JeanneP

Great News MaryZ. Now you can go back to sleeping good again. Glad all turned out the way it did. Taking Meds much easier I am sure. Bet she is a happy lady today. Nothing worries people more than the word. "C".
It was suppose to be up to 50 today. Didn't arrive or at least it has been dark and dreary out. I haven't even dressed yet. doubt I will. Maybe tomorrow will be the warm day.
Sue. I just do not know how you are doing all this work around the yard.  Bet your people next door are watching from their windows and thinking the same thing. The brace on your leg must not stop you bending.  Surprise then that Dr. will not let you drive. Is it your left or right leg?
JeanneP

JeanneP

I have a problem I need to find a fix for now. My Oven. With having so many gadgets I can use for cooking  it has not been used for at least 6 years. Was new about then.  I have pans stored in it. So today I went in with the thought of cleaning it out. So shocked. Around the sides and inside the door I found rusty. Wonder what will clean that off.
Like any ideas.....
JeanneP

alpiner1

SCFsue   We are far from the fires , 35 miles east of San Diego in the foothills . The fires are almost out the last time I heard .

jane

Beautiful Sunday morning here.  I need to get my "get up and go" going and get a walk in.  At noon, we're to meet friends up at the old condo complex for a bit and then I want to be home to watch the football games. 

Jeanne...I don't know what would work on the rust.  You may need to check with an appliance dealer.

Darlene...hope you're getting this beautiful day, too, in your part of Tx.

jane

SCFSue

Hello, Buddies.  I was expecting to go back to church to a funeral at 2:00, but when Olyne dropped me off after church she told me that one of her friends in her neighborhood is picking her up and Bonney and my other friends planned to stay at BK until time for the funeral.  I'll send a donation in Jean's memory to the church and that will have to be it.  I doubt that I will be missed. 

I cleaned up brush and other stuff from my backyard yesterday morning and watched basketball games in the afternoon.  So didn't get much done in the house, but my cleaning ladies will be here again next week, so I'm not sweating it.  Since I'm not going back to church for the funeral I'll probably read and watch basketball this afternoon.  Tim will come by in the morning and we've planned a trip to my bank which is not far from the library, so when our business is finished, I'll just have him drop me off at the library and I'll walk home afterwards.

It's still bright and sunny here today, but temps still in low 60's which is a major improvement over last week.  I still have traces of snow in my yard.

Sharon, you're right.  It was Tamoxifen.  I'd forgotten.  My short term memory is troubling.

Jane, I'm glad you're seeing that big yellow sun in your sky.   I'm happy to see it here and since I'm not attending the funeral, may get out a walk a bit.  I still haven't changed clothes, but will soon.

Darlene, I'm trying to avoid places where people are, except for church. I have had my annual flu shot and also a pneumonia booster and sure don't want to get either one.  Our newspaper says the flu is rampart here in our area--but church was full this morning.

Jeanne, I can walk fairly well with the brace, but bending that leg is not easy.  It's my right leg and that's why I can't drive my car as I would have to use the right leg for the gas AND the clutch!  The neurologist has dismissed me but told me that until the nerves in my back heal, I can't drive.  So far they seem to be the same.

Alpiner, I'm glad you don't have the fires nearby.  The destruction looks devastating. 

I'm off to change clothes and watch some basketball games--and maybe even an NFL game.  I do have a book I'd like to finish today.  So I'll read also.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Glad it is warming up everywhere!  Enough of that freezing weaather.  It's 70 or close to it here today. (But I'm still cold!)

John is coming down with a cold, probably from me, so he stayed home from church, but I went to both SS and church.  I have beef cooking in the crockpot and plan to add noodles to it later.

Nothing else going on here.

Jane, have you ever tried putting a tennis ball over your sore place and pushing it up against the wall and holding it for 5 minutes?  The therapist told me about it and it works--at least for a while.  Too bad about your power outage and your broken root beer bottles.  I seldom drink soft drinks, but if I do, it's root beer.

Hi Sue, I'm sorry to hear that there is no improvement in your back & nerves. It's been a long time.

Sharon

jane

Sharon...thanks for the tennis ball suggestion for the lower back muscles.

We walked today and then went up to the old condo complex to play that bean bag game.  Not something I'd want to do again...boring and it seemed to go on forever.  It was nice to see the gang, though.  I'm going to pick the wives up next Tues. for lunch while the husbands are golfing.

I'm watching football now, and will be putting a pizza into the oven soon for supper while we cheer for Vikings in the Vikings-Eagles game.  The winner will play...again....the New England Patriots.

jane

jane

Monday Morning Greetings!

It's looking to be a nice day here and I'm sort of functioning.  I'm NOT a morning person, and it takes quite a bit for the creaky muscles and joints to get awake and work.  We've had breakfast and Ray is off to church to see if they found the hat he lost in the parking lot.  It's not a big deal, but he seems to think it is.   :coolsmiley:  [I mean it's a ball cap....one of about 20 he has at home. And he found another one in his golf bag and he has a Tilly, so it's not as if his bald head is "naked" out there. ::)]

I don't have anything except chores around here to do today...the usual we all have...laundry, some sweeping and moping,, etc.

Have a good Monday!

jane

SharonE

Jane, I hope the tennis ball helps. I know some others who use it.  Funny about men and their hats!  John has to have a hat on all the time outside too because of his mostly bald head.  Lunch with the girls sounds like fun.  I'm glad your weather is better.

Ours was 69 yesterday and sunny, but I didn't get out except for church.  It's a little overcast today and about 62. Forecast for rain tonight and tomorrow.  Hope we get it as we are already 1.5" short for this month. We had very little in the fall as well and are considered in a moderate drought area.  It seems like there is either too much or too little.

I did 2 loads of laundry yesterday and have another load in now with still another to follow!  John tends to bring all his dark pants in at once which makes for an extra load.  I did make the beef and noodles and mashed potatoes for dinner last night and have enough left over for dinner tonight, so won't have to cook.

I need to go do PT and take a walk in a bit.  Jane, I'm like you--NOT a morning person.

Hi to everyone who pops in.  Sharon

maryz

It's been a crazy day for me - unlike my usual do-nothing days.  I went to swimming and coffee.  Then to the doctor for my 6-month check.  I got the second pneumonia shot, concern about my blood pressure (may have to increase the strength of my Rx), and appointment for July.  Then about 45 minutes with my financial counselor.  I'm working on getting that last investment John had that we thought had been tended to.  We got it mostly done, and there are some papers and signatures I need to gather to send in with the filled-out forms.  And then it was lots of phone calls, with call-backs coming sometime.  Sighhhh.

I've typed this three times now, and it's disappeared, so I'll just post it.

Hugs to all the Buddies - and Happy Monday.

JeanneP

Jane.  What made me think . Lucky Jane no housework for the next 3 months when basking in Texas. You are doing more than me. I just can't get into the mood. I keep the Kitchen, Bathroom and bedrooms good but as for dusting and floors keep passing them up. Soon as weather get better will just get the whole place put in order.

Sue I did take a good look at my yard and what a mess. Branches all over and where all the leaves come from I don't know. Put heavy jacket on and got out there. For own thing the garbage man came today and had to pull my big garbage can to curb. Something had been getting into it and all the bags had been torn apart . What a mess. Usually can carry them to curb as garbage Holder is so big . Plastic on wheels. He said that squirrels had chewed a hole in the side under the lid and getting in that way. And here I had been feeling sorry for them and trowing seed out in the yard. Will end that and I have patched up the hole. I had thought Raccoons lifting lid and had put a rock on it
Dark and raining today even though in the 50s.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good evening, Buddies.  Tim and I were out and about in the rain this morning.   We went to his bank, my bank, and my safe deposit box to check on my paper work, CD's, etc.  All was in good order.  He is a co-signer on my box and could have gone there alone, but he likes me to be present when he needs to check on something.  Afterwards he took me to the library and I picked up enough books to last until Saturday.

I've been reading this evening and tried to watch a women's basketball game, but Mississippi State was stomping all over LSU, so I turned to the music channel and continued reading.  I have bad feelings about MSU after our girls game with them a week or so ago.  The coach puts a girl who is at least 6'6" tall in the lane who moves out when the refs are looking but pretty much stays under the basket whenever the opposing teams have the ball.  He also lets his team roll their shorts up under their undies -- Coach Flo (our coach) would never let her team do that!  He yells at them a lot, too, Coach Flo prefers a dark look with no loud yelling!  Our gals know when she means business.

I'm off to bed to read some more.  I have to get up early tomorrow as I have to go to Azalea Place for the luncheon bridge.  I'm the hostess and have to take goodies for nibbling after we eat lunch and are playing.  Also have to take envelopes with the cash prizes.  Thank goodness my turn only comes every 12 months!

Good night, Buddies.
Sue