Random Image

Maeve ... Senior Graduation from High School

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

Soda Shoppe for March 1,2019

Started by so_P_bubble, March 01, 2019, 12:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

so_P_bubble

so_P_bubble

so_P_bubble

One of our projects at military leadership school called for us to speak in front of the class on a topic picked by our instructor. A classmate gave an impassioned speech on the benefits of drinking liquor. Alcohol, he insisted, warded off colds, kept you alert, and even made you steadier on your feet.

"Good job," said our instructor when he finished. "Only one thing: Your topic was the benefits of drinking liquids, not liquor."

so_P_bubble

Time is too slow for those who wait,

too swift for those who fear,

too long for those who grieve,

too short for those who rejoice,

but for those who love, time is eternity.

~ Henry Van Dyke

so_P_bubble

Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin;
Steal from a thief, for that is easy;
 lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt,
 but beware of an honest man.
Arab Proverb

JaneS

Thanks, Bubble for our nice, clean, happy place!  Love the pics and the stories.  And you even got that mouse that was hovering around the door to the Hidey Hole!

Well, we got the predicted snow overnight.  There's about an inch and a half out there.  But the real storm starts tonight and continues over the weekend.  Thank goodness it's not going to amount to much until after I get home from work!  But I'm pretty sure we won't be going to the Amish Store this weekend!

The doggies and I are awaiting the boinger so we can have our breakfast then the day begins.  I have my list made up but the only extra that will probably get done today might be a load of laundry.  Tomorrow, the bed will be changed and I'll hit the paper work again.

I'll be back to look for JUNE, LARRY, PHYLLIS, and EVERYFRIEND.  Come in and check out the cleaned up quarters and say "Hello".  We miss you when you're not here.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..
A little warmer this morning temp is -18° F nice sunny day .....so far.
Crows cawing woke me up, they are back in this area ,I did see two with nesting material in their beak so maybe Spring will soon be here!

Will be tacking the fridge today and a few drawers, speaking of which Jane did you get your droopy drawers fixed?

Need to pick up bird seed, some for the wild birds and cockatiel food for Peepers.

Bubble, thank you for the new page...love the gardening photo....gives hope that soon we will be playing in the dirt.

Jane, I bet he did wave as he went by...if he is home by Mon he can come to lunch with us.

Better get a hitch in my git a long and git along..

Enjoy your day everyone..

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Sandy

Good Job, Bubble !
Thank YOU !   
:thumbup:   :thumbup:  :thumbup:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. we have mostly a carbon copie of yesterday. 26º cloudy and calling for a high of 37º today, right now no weind but weather guesser says wind chill in the single digests , but they said snow last night and so far hasn't got here if we are. I in two hitches got 9,5 hours of sleep last night. feeding the cows is all i have on my agenda for today. will be glad when the body shop get's our R V finished up. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone, read the posts but not up to replying. We got  inches of fluffy snow Wednesday night and between the plow and the maintenance man with his little plow clearing the walks I did not get any sleep. Cancelled my CNA for yesterday and spent the day dozing on and off. Slept great last night but still feeling yucky.

BUBBLE  love your graphics, Sure makes me long for spring. Thanks.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Joy

Good morning,  Jane, Amy, Lloyd, Sandy , Gloria and Bubble.

I just wrote a long message and lost it. 

Thank you, Bubble, for the beautiful "signs of Spring".  It is coming sooner or later.

Gloria, hope you will feel better today. I was feeling like that for a couple days, but feel better this morning.

We had a little snow overnight, but it seems to be disappearing quickly.  A bigger storm is on the horizon for Sunday night.  So tired of all this wintery mess.

I am running a little late this morning, so I better get moving.

Have a good first day of March.   Seems like it is coming in like a lion, so hopefully, it will go out like a lamb.

Joy
BIG BOX

Shirley

Oh, Gloria, was getting worried about your lack of posting yesterday. Sorry you had/have the yuckies. Guess you caught something on your outing last week, you think?  Everyone I know has had something .... So far I have missed it but do need to call my doctor for a prescription for sinus, my face feels like someone hit me across the face with a 2 x 4. Hope you get better fast. Was thinking of you yesterday when I was indulging in OVER eating, thinking I could fatten you up in a hurry.

Lloyd, like you, I am getting the itch to head out but will wait until mid-March. Going to meet my daughter in the little town where my parents came from so I can point out and repeat all the lore my parents told me growing up. We visited Dad's mother & brother and Mothers large family that lived in Jefferson City nearly every week end. Used to laugh when saying that because that was the expression everyone used "that we needed to visit Grandma, she may not make it through the winter." She didn't die until I was in my 30s. I loved hearing all the stories about when they were young. My oldest son & wife will be spending the week at their time-share in Branson so invited them to join us the full day we will be re-discovering my & their roots. Google shows it as a less than 2 hour drive so we'll see if they want to spend 4 hours of their day in the car to spend about 4 hours with us. Hope they do a good job on your RV.

Tomorrow evening into Sunday weather guessers predict 4 to 6" of snow for US! Today I am going out to move the snow blower into the garage. A big job since I have to move a lot of stuff to make room for it. While working in the garage I need to add air to the tires on my little car, they are low & I'm afraid to let them wait until it's oil change. It is supposed to get above freezing today so will put the job off until after lunch.

Good morning, Sandy & Amy. We had a cockatiel named Honeybird.... poor little thing, it really did not get the attention all the other birds we raised got and I always, still, feel bad about it. The kids thought we needed another bird so gave it to me for Christmas... and the following spring was when we adopted the orphan ducks & they were a full time job for years.

Jane, sure wish I was organized like you. I make up my lists but too willing to get side tracked so am disappointed when not all get done for the day. Right now I have so many jobs needing to be done I go in circles. Maybe I need to stay away from this computer for a while..... been posting far too often/much.

Bubble, thanks for the beautiful graphics & text, what a wise observation by Van Dyke... don't think I ever heard/read that before!  I've been sitting here so long probably half a dozen posts so will make sure I don't forget to "re-post" before I leave.

Hope everyone checks in early, maybe we need to call roll & sign in or "20 lashes with a wet noodle...." that have a familiar ring?  :thumbup:

Hi, Joy, glad you reported in early. I really do check to see that everyone is okay for this day.... I forgot about "going out like a lion"... we are getting the nasty weather a day earlier than you, guess I'd better make sure my kitchen is stocked up. TP was on sale yesterday so I got a Mega package for each bathroom & one for the RV, nearly broke the budget!

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another rainy morning but the temperature is staying very nice in the mid to high 60's.  We had a very late evening last night as Scott didn't get here until after 7 pm and by the time the pizza was baked it was close to 8 pm, when I normally retire for the night.  He sleeps very well when it is raining and so he didn't hear his alarm and didn't wake up until after 6:30 and then had to go to his store and fix the pizza.  I am not sure what time he went home last evening as I had to retire around 10 pm.  He took care of several small chores for us, which we always appreciate.  I expect him back over this morning for a few minutes.  He won't stay too long as he has to go to work around 4 pm today.  I was so tired I didn't even need to drink my Chamomile tea as went to sleep and didn't get up until after 8 am and am still still exhausted.  So it will be a quiet day for me.

Bubble, thanks for the new page and your graphics are so good.  I also enjoyed the the little stories you shared. 

I am sorry but just don't have the energy this morning to make more individual comments.  I found all of the postings interesting.  Maybe tomorrow I will be more up to posting more individual comments.

Lindancer

[Thanks Bubble, for our March start,lor=black][/color]Got up early to go to Home Makers but was snowing heavy, and they said there was some slippery spots on the road. so all dolled up and no place to go. At lest I look good for the cat. Snow Again to morrow,but nothing we cannot handle.Duluth Harbor looked cold and not much action on the Hudson. The other day there was white caps

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

phyllis

Jus to want let you know I am ok.  David and I are both not feeling very good so we are taking it easy.  He is having some dizzy spells again and I don't want him to fall so we are not moving around very much.  I think my problem is not serious...just one of those days when I'd rather not move.  I think I will be better tomorrow and feel more like talking.  Take care of yourselves.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Hey, there's PHYLLIS (I'm sorry you don't feel well) and LARRY (I'm sorry you're feeling tired. Get some rest)

SHIRLEY, I'm NOT organized but if I don't make a list, I don't get anything done at all.  At least, when I have a list I know what's left over to do tomorrow. And I remember some of the things I'd otherwise forget!  At least it LOOKS like I'm efficient!

I'm finished with WM for today and I'm going to go try to take care of #13 on my list....A NAP!  That's one thing I'm happy to try to take care of daily!

Get busy....or not....whatever suits your fancy!

Amy

I am not sure if this is posted in the right folder or not. Thought it was worth the read...

*COME STROLL WITH ME*

Stroll with me.... close your eyes.... and go back... way back......

Before Internet... before ISIS, before AIDS, before Facebook & Social
Networking

Before Semi-automatics, before School Shootings, before Opioids, before
Super Nintendo...

Way, way, way... back....

I'm talking about sitting on the curb, sitting on the stoop.... about
'Hide-And-Go-Seek'; 'Simon-Says' and 'Red-Light-Green-Light'. Lunch Boxes
with a thermos.... chocolate milk, going home for lunch, penny candy from
the store, Hopscotch, butterscotch, roller-skates with keys, Jacks and
Cracker Jacks, Hula Hoops, Slinkies and sunflower seeds, wax lips &
moustaches,  saddle shoes and Coke bottles with the names of Cities on the
bottom.

Remember when it took five minutes for the TV to warm up; when nearly
everyone's Mum was at home when the kids arrived home from School.... When
nobody owned a purebred dog, when a quarter was a decent allowance, when
you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny, When your Mum wore nylons that
came in two pieces, and when all of your Male Teachers wore neckties and
Female teachers had their hair done everyday, and wore high heels.

Remember running through the sprinkler, circle pins, bobby pins, 'Mickey
Mouse Club', 'Rocky and Bullwinkle', 'Kookla, Fran and Ollie', 'Spin and
Marty', 'Dick Clark's American Bandstand' - all on your Black & White TV -
with two knobs - 'Rabbit Ears. You had to get

up to change the channels , and when your Mum made you turn it off when a
storm came!

When around the corner seemed far away, and going Downtown seemed like
really going somewhere. Climbing trees, making forts,  Lemonade stands,
cops a& robbers, cowboys & Indians, staring at clouds, jumping on the bed,
pillow fights, ribbon candy, Jackie Gleason, white gloves, *walking* to the
Movie Theatre, running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that
your stomach hurt... remember that?

Not 'Stepping on a crack or you'd break your Mother's back'.... the smells
of School, of paste and 'Evening In Paris'.

What about the girl who dotted her i's with hearts?  (before that stupid
smiley face)

The Stroll, popcorn balls and sock hops?  Remember when there were just two
types of sneakers for girls and boys - 'Keds' and 'PF Flyers', And the only
time you wore them at school was for Gym.... and the girls had those ugly
Gym uniforms. When you got your windshield cleaned, Oil checked, and gas
pumped -- without asking -- all for free -- every time. And, you didn't pay
for air either, and got trading stamps to boot!

When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes, or towels hidden inside
the box.... when the worst thing you could do at School was flunk a Test,
or chew gum, and the Prom was in the Gym and you danced to a real Orchestra.

When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed -- and did!

When being sent to the Principal's office was nothing compared to the fate
that awaited you when you got home; basically, we were in fear For our
lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our
Parents and Grandparents were a much bigger threat!

But we survived because their love was so much greater than the threat.

Remember when a '57 Chevy was everyone's dream car -- used to cruise, peel
out, and lay rubber? Remember watching the plastic submarine filled with
baking soda sink in the bath tub?  When people 'Went Steady'; and girls
wore a class ring with an inch of wrapped Band-Aids, Dental Floss, or yarn
coated with pastel-frost nail polish so it would fit their finger.

When no-one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in
the car, in the ignition, car and house doors were Never locked! Remember
lying on your back on the grass with your friends and saying things like
"That cloud looks like a..." And playing Baseball with no Adults needed to
enforce the rules of the game.

Remember when stuff from the Store came without safety caps and hermetic
seals, because no-one had yet tried to poison a perfect Stranger. And, with
all our progress, don't you just wish, that just once you could slip back
in time and savour the slower pace......And share it with the children of
today?

So share this with someone who can still remember 'Nancy Drew', 'The Hardy
Boys', 'Laurel and Hardy', 'Howdy Dowdy' and 'The Peanut Gallery', 'The
Lone Ranger and Tonto', 'The Shadow Knows', 'Roy Rogers and Dale Evans' -
Trigger and Buttermilk..and even Captain  Jolly .who yeah  know  can
play  indoor  ball. As well as the sound of a real lawnmower on Saturday
morning, and Summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, bowling,
visits to  the pool ... and eating Kool- Aid powder with sugar from the
palm of your hand.

There, didn't that feel good? Just too lean back and say: "Yeah...I
remember......" Pass this on to those who might remember, and to those who
can see what they might be missing.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

CallieOK

Good afternoon. 

Hope "Third time's a charm" because I've tried twice to post something and got the "This Page Can't Be Shown" message. 

The temperature had gone up to 34 degrees earlier but the skies were still gloomy gray. Now the sun is shining.    I saw slushy ice falling from wires as I came home from an errand across town.
Not supposed to last, though, because snow and temps in the single digits are predicted for Sunday-Monday. 

(Can you tell I've finally figured out how to put in the Emoticons?   Don't see all the cute ones we used to have, though.)

Shirley,  the quartet of friends who used to find fun places to go for a day or two sometimes went to Branson where one of them had a time=share.  She didn't have a certain condo - just "owned" the right to have one assigned when she called for a reservation.  We had so much fun there.  Lots more to do than just see shows.

Gloria de - have you seen the little ice fishing tents out on Superior on the Two Harbors Boat Launch and Two Harbors Depot cams.  They look like little dark specks way out on the ice.
I've seen people walking across the ice dragging a sled behind them to get to their cars at the Launch.  That does not look like a fun way to spend a day IMO.

I spent a lot of yesterday afternoon browsing through the e-books in the metro library e-book catalog. Now I have about 25 on my "Wish List".  I can find out which ones are available and check them out without hunting for them if I run out of reading material. Also have several "On Hold" that will automatically show up in my Loans when they're available.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable cozy warm weekend.

Amy,  your essay was posted while I was typing.  Sure brought back memories!   Thanks for sharing. 

Sandy

When see the emoticons,
if you click on "MORE"   
a whole bunch of
others pop up ....  there are many ...
here are just a few:

:tissue:  :dogrunning:  :hb2:  :ambu:  :angel2:  :angel3:  :angel4:  :angry2:  :anon:  :arrest:  :baaa:  :balloons:  :banana2:  :nanadance:  :nanadance2:  :banghead:  :bash:  :batman:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Lindancer

Amy, thanks, what memories, you described our lives. We had so little, of course we did not know that. but was happy
[Callie, yes, I looked at the ice fishing. First thing I do is look at NY Harbor, then Duluth look at Times Sq. all hours, as they say the City Never Sleeps.  I enjoy all the earth coms.

71 years ago this month The Great South Bay froze over, and my husband drove over 5 miles to Fire Island. I do not know when I could have been so mad at him, as it was the day before Dennis was  born. I guess all I can say now, he was 21 and it was a man thing   to say he did it. Never thinking they could have he an air pocket

Mary Ann

Gloria de, somewhere there is a link to an ice bridge from Mackinac Island to St Ignace MI.  I don't have it but I've seen it.  It would be as scary as your husband out on the Great South Bay.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

MARCH   ----   In like a lion, out like a lamb.  I hope.  Two more snows predicted for the week.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Lloyd Hammond

Amy well I started reading your post and stopped until I read and share with Nancy. thanks for spending the time to put that together for us all, did bring back a lot of member's of the past. you are a true friend of us all. well it is time I hit the hay hop and pray we all make it back tomorrow. Good Night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

CallieOK

Sandy,  I no longer see the line of emoticons or the "More" link on either Quick Reply or Reply.  I miss them.

Gloria de,  I also like the Times Square and NY Harbor cams - specially the ones located on the New Jersey shore.  Fun to follow a cruise ship as it leaves Pier 88.  I've learned to switch from the Port cam (shows the pier)  to the Harbor cam (Veranzo Bridge) when the ship turns to the right as it goes down the river.  The Harbor cam picks it up and shows it going past the Statue of Liberty and then coming toward the camera, which pans until the ship goes under the bridge.

On the Port cam - what is the tallest building  that's almost straight across from the camera along the river front ?   I've posted that the cruise ship pier is next to a building that looks like a sideways check mark.  This tall building looks like it had a sideways check mark on its roof.

Just watched the "blind auditions" for The Voice.  A fellow from Hugo Oklahoma has made it to the next round.  No surprise he picked Blake Shelton to be his coach.
Hugo is a small town in the far southeastern corner of the state.  It's known for being a winter home for some small circuses and has an elephant sanctuary for ones that are "retired" from circus performing.

Lindancer

[/GOOD MORNING. i AM UP AGAIN AT 3. I go to bed at 1 and here I am wide awakw befor the roosters.  It is raing here and snowing like crazy in the city.

Callie, I use one Harbor cam  that is from Staten Island. I just finished watching 4 people acting up, as they know the camera is on them, as they wave.  They have been dancing and sliding around. There are two police officers or security watching them,  Must be young people. One seems to have a camera. it is 4:30AM It does not take much to entertain me.
I have had many a cup of coffee in that McD' s you see. Every few month the library runs a bus to the city, called Do As You Please.  Leaves you off on Time Sq. and around 5 or 6 picks you up at the NYC Library. Of course I no longer can do the trips. The park also runs trips for a show and restaurant.

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  We didn't get the snow that was predicted overnight (YAY!!!) but it's only 23 degrees.  We're still supposed to get a big one overnight into tomorrow.  I would mind if that one missed us, too.

CALLE, I don't see any indication of emoticons either.  I don't even know where you got the ones in your posting.  I haven't seen any indication of them since the new website.

The doggies have been out and we're waiting for the boinger.  After that, breakfast and the day begins.  Cathy isn't going to the Amish store this weekend but I'm thinking of going by myself.  I'll play it by ear.  If I don't feel like going, it can wait.

I wish you all a good day filled with whatever suits your fancy!  Make it your own in every way.

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Warmer this morning +6 °F and they are calling for snow later on in the day.

I need to take the van in to the car wash and get the salt/dirt off of it. Laundry day today and baking.

I am glad you enjoyed the "Come Stroll With Me"
Remember you hung your roller skate key on a string around your neck?

Gloria de, you will be needing a cat nap later on in the day. :)

Rick, March came in like a lamb yesterday. The day was just perfect, didn't need a winter coat , just a vest would do.

Callie, do they let the public in to the elephant sanctuary? I think that would be awesome to see.

Better get my get along and get going. Want to be at the car wash early before the  sun starts melting the banks.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Snowing again, a heavy wet one this time. Supposed to get 5 inches with this one. Another one tomorrow night ant that one a possible 12 inches of it. Not the first time we had a lot of snow in March. I remember a 17 inch snow on St. Patrick's day. Between the bitter cold and the snow I am getting cabin fever.

JOY we are in for snow on Sunday night, too. I have had enough already. Hope March does go out like a lamb, I have an appointment on the 25th.

SHIRLEY  if I could cook I might add a few pounds but I really do not like TV dinners and my son keeps buying some for me. I eat the parts of them I can and throw away the rest. Sure not like home made food. You are worse than me, I always threaten 10 lashes wih a wet noodle.

LARRY  always good seeing your posts. Seems like every time one of my son comes here I ask them to do something I cannot do.

GLORIA  de  you must be getting this snow this morning. Here it is more along the southern part of the state, unusual.

PHYLLIS  take care of yourself and David, too.

JANE  wish I could get busy again.  I really enjoyed getting to the market last week but it took several days to rest up after. Then I feel lazy and hate that feeling.

AMY  thanks for all the memories you posted, I copied and will send to family and friends. Bet they will enjoy the trip down Memory Lane.

Plow is here already and there is enough snow to plow. Different driver and he lets the plow down softly, not like the ohe other night who let it drop with a loud bang in the middle of the night. Guess he must have thought since he had to be awake he wanted every one to be awake.

CALLIE  only way to have a warm cozy week end here is to stay inside. I used to have a lot of cams to look at but when my grandson last worked on my PC he cleaned everything out so now the only one I have is the Duluth cam.

RAMMEL  snowing now and another bigger snowstorm tomorrow night. The joys of winter.

LLOYD  Amy's post brought back a lot of memories for us.

GLORIA  de  many times I wake around 3am and get up. Those are the days I really need a nap around noon but my CNA gets here at noon

I just got a phone call from a voice I have heard before about a place going out of business and I have a refund coming. I let the machine pick up calls that I do not know the number. This time it is about my social security and the same number to call. The woman's voice sound like she is trying hard to sound like an American. Every time I get these calls they come from a different state. Those scammers must think we just got out of the cabbage patch.

Just looked out and it does not look like the plow had been here. Snow piling up fast.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast