Random Image

Yellow Hibiscus

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

Soda Shoppe for March 15,2019

Started by so_P_bubble, March 14, 2019, 06:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We are expecting a partly or mostly cloudy day today with a high of around 79 degrees (not bad for the end of March. I had a great nights sleep last night and it was after 9 am before I got up this morning.  I did accomplish a little something this morning as was able to unload the top tray of the dishwasher.  A good friend from Church came over yesterday afternoon to visit us and brought us a large bag of food.  She brought about a gallon of beef vegetable soup, two dozen roast beef sliders and a container of lemon square.  Guess what we had for an early dinner last night and it was all very good.  Pat had a very busy day yesterday including doing laundry and make a large batch of oatmeal raisin cookies, which about did her in.  I hope she will take today easy as she about overdid yesterday.  I have nothing on my schedule for today. I am just going to check in for today as the few things I did this morning before coming to my desk took up most of my energy supply.

Amy

Lloyd, a lot of work goes into your jewelry boxes!!
We have snow here, now the ground is covered with about one inch so far.

Mary Ann, we have been to town and back, Meds picked up along with extra milk that I have put into a big pot of rice pudding. Not much sense making one batch as this is really good!! I use Arborio rice and it comes out so creamy.
Laundry is also on the go and soon to be done, then I can go sew.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Larry, good morning you snuck in on me.. Great to see you got a good nights rest. Take it easy. I bet you are tired of hearing that but while you take it easy your body is getting stronger..and not worn down.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Just checked in and wasn't going to comment but I have to say....LLOYD your recipe boxes sound gorgeous!  You sure do put a lot of time and talent into them.  I'd love to see a picture of one when it's finished.  Maybe you could get someone to post one.

AMY....KEEP THAT SNOW ON YOUR SIDE OF THE BORDER!  I'm taking my snow shovels to the shed today and bringing out the rakes.  I'm sure I wouldn't be able to rake the snow. 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Jane, I had planned on putting the snow blower away and I just might today. Told David when he phoned I was going to let the man upstairs deal with the snow as I was not going to dance today.
Have a double batch of rice pudding in cooling now and the last load of laundry in the washer....dogs blankets and I am done :)
I agree, I would love to see photos also...
Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Starting a week ago today, there was someplace I needed to be every day until yesterday.  Weather was nice enough (absolutely beautiful on Tuesday :) ) that I combined errands with being wherever.

Slept like a log Thursday night but, yesterday morning, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. Stayed in my gown/robe all day and was a Recliner Radish in between doing a couple of loads of laundry.

Heard one clap of thunder in the wee hours overnight but didn't hear any of the predicted hail and yard doesn't look as if we had any.  So slept well and am leisurely getting some more Domestic Duties done today.

P.E.O. chapter met at one of the Senior Living places where one of the members lives.  We celebrated her 99th birthday.....and she gave the program!  She is a published poet (poetess?) and entertains us annually with her current efforts.  The five new ones were a combination of humor and poignancy. She is amazing

Miss Ellen is back in New York from her experience in Florida so, as far I know, all my chicks are in their nests.  That's a Good Thing.

Larry,  I like to take baked slider sandwiches, soup or potato chips and cookies to bereaved families  a few days past the time when they're usually overloaded with casseroles, veggie/fruit trays, desserts, etc.  At that point, it's nice to have a quick meal that doesn't require setting the table.  It's always gone over well.    Did so for a neighbor this week and the first thing the daughter said was,  "Oh!  We needed potato chips!!"

LLoyd,  the little boxes do sound like a Very Special gift. I admire your woodcarving skill!
If you're having snow,  Miss Emily (in Overland Park) probably is, too.  Pretty sure she'd rather have that than the damaging hail we've had in the past couple of weeks.

I also miss a long soak in the bathtub but doubt I could get down or up even with the bars.
Shirley,  it doesn't take remodeling to have the bars put in.  My handiman attached them directly to the tiles and, believe me,  they will NOT come out.

Welcome home, Jane.  Hope you didn't run into icky weather or a lot of roadwork in the OKC area.

Hugs and wishes for An Enjoyable Day to Everyfriend. 

Denver

A good Saturday HELLO to EVERYFRIEND.  We had snow over night so it is still quite cool out today. ThE sun is trying to shine, but there is not a lot of melting going on. 

We had a much too active day yesterday.  Our 13 year old grandson was in a National Geographic Bee at Denver University.  He came in 5th place and was happy with how well he did and we sure enjoyed being there watching. There was a long walk involved in getting in to the place, so that was quite the challenge for me, but I made it! 

Today our granddaughter is in a dance competition way up north, so she and her parents spent the night up there in a hotel as they had to be there by 7 AM and knew there was going to be a storm.  The two grandsons and the doggie spent the night with us.  They keep us well entertained and are a joy to have stay with us. 

I have finished lunch and a few other things, but want to get back to this as  we are about to start a Board Game.  The boys would have liked to go swimming, but for some reason the Grandparents are running on low fuel today.....I sure hate to admit this, but it is a fact. 

AMY, I like hearing your decision to not dance with the snowblower today......you deserve a rest. 

LARRY, how nice of the lady to bring you and Pat sliders and soup.....so sweet when others show kindness for you.  Friends are bringing i; dinners twice a week for Michele's Family and it is so appreciated.  They would have meals everyday if they would let them!  They accepted two days a week.  BTW, it has been awhile since we have seen Michele and I am sure sad to say she does not look good at all.  All of this chemo daily has really taken a toll on her.  This being a full time mommy trying to keep up is quite the challenge for her.  Bless her heart. 

GLORIA, your back would love the soak, but the getting in and out is a BIG challenge for you. 😢😢 I know I would never be able to get up out of a tub.  I can only get out of a pool if it has walking steps....can not use the pool ladder anymore.   

CALLIE, I hope Ellen enjoyed her time in Florida.  I thought the play she was in looked cute.  I continue to get email from them.  I did not know if she would be doing another one there or not. 

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jenn

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

CallieOK

Jenny,   Ellen's Florida experience did not end well.
The performances were to be Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday matinees plus Friday and Saturday nights.
The Sunday afternoon matinee on March 10 was cancelled because the lead male became ill 5 minutes before curtain time.  There was no understudy
The next Sunday, he did not show up at all and was discovered asleep in his hotel room. The show began an hour late and a big part of the audience left.
The actor was terminated and the choreographer did the Wednesday matinee - which is the one the family saw.  Obviously, he could dance but he was NOT a singer.

On Thursday morning, the entire cast received e-mails saying the theater company was filing for bankruptcy and the remaining 4 shows were cancelled - as was the rest of the season (3 more shows)  Ellen said they were having issues, anyway - and the behavior of the lead pushed them over the edge.

]The performers staying in provided housing had 24 hours to check out but Ellen was staying with a friend and remained in FL until the day she had planned to go back to NYC.

I cannot believe a production of that size did not have understudies - particularly for the leads and secondary roles!

The Stage Door Theater was located in the Broward Performing Arts Center and there are still performances of various kinds there.

At least, she has something to add to her resume!

Mary Ann

Callie, what a horrible experience Miss Ellen must have had.  She is fortunate she was staying with her friend so she didn't have to change her return plans, which can be expensive, too, if they flew. 

Mary Ann

JaneS

Hello, Everyfriend!  I've had a very leisurely day today.  As I said earlier, I did as I pleased.....mostly nothing.  My daughter stopped by and  had a nice visit.  After she left, I took the snow shovels to the shed and brought out the rakes.  I cleaned the leftover leaves from around the holly bushes and one of the dogwood trees and I picked up stick and other obstruction left by the dogs in the yard.  Then I went in the house and had supper and collapsed for a bit.

Callie, if your reference to the JANE who might have met with obstructions and traffic around OKC, it wasn't I.  I hope you know that if I'm ever that close to you, I'll make and effort to say a face-to-face HELLO! 

Now I'm going to go check my email and then get into my jammies.  I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a good tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Lindancer

Larry, I did get to the hematologist, the lady I hired through the

bark was very nice and she handled my rollator fine, went in and listen with me to what the doctor had to say. Did not have to get the shot,he said to come back in two weeks for it.  It seems my temp was 96 and he wanted wait. do not know what is causing low temp, Can't worry about it.

Gloria, when I was able to get in the hot tub, it really did help my back.  It was just I could not get out like a lady ::)

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

Mary Ann, The rehearsals and performances so far were good. Ellen became friends with quite a few in the cast and had a good time with them and her friend, who was also in the show (in fact, she was to have had the lead in the next production and be a featured dancer in two others - really sad for her)

Ellen had a round-trip ticket so just stayed until the day she'd planned to leave. I have a feeling the "locals" took care of the ones who had come from away. Several of them had a Taco Party the night after they got the bad news.

Janes, I was referring to the jane from Iowa who just arrived home from the winter in south Texas. Probably meant it for Norm's Bait & Tackle.
You betcha we'd have a face-to-face. You know where I live!

I found a recipe on-line for baking meat balls without having to brown them first. Got 16 from one pound of ground beef; 13 of them are in the freezer. Had made chicken fingers from a chicken cutlet the other night so I'm fixed for main dishes this week.

Sleep well, Everyfriend and have pleasant dreams.

Mary Ann

Callie, I don't think Jane from Iowa posts in Norm's B&T.  I have seen her posts somewhere but I don't remember where. 

As for Miss Ellen, it seems her stay in Florida did end well for her, not for her friend.  That is too bad.

Mary Ann

Shirley

Callie, your baked meatballs sound like something I'd like to keep on hand... care to share your recipe, either e-mail or post in here if everyone else wants to sample!...please? ...and thank you.

I'm off to bed, cats had their last meal of the day. Tom & Callie are out but Tiger took off to the other end of the house when I opened the door. It is COLD out tonight. Well, CallieCat came back in.

Jenn, congratulations to the 13 year old... impressive and very good experience at that age! Takes skill to compete, more than just being smart in a subject, don't you think? Love hearing about their activities & you are such great grandparents keeping up with them.

Sorry about Ellen's experience in FL, Callie, but lesson learned that "all that glitters isn't gold"... but sounds like she took it in stride. She does seem to have a good head on her shoulders and plenty of drive to make life interesting.

Amy, my snow blower goes back to the "shed" next week, never even got gassed up. My rake has seen the sunlight a few times already, digging everyone else's leaves out of my flower beds! All of a sudden trees are blooming everywhere & my allergies are over the top. Almost like watching time lapse videos, just turn your head & another bloom opens!

Got to get to bed. Sweet dreams to all. Shirley

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. wish you all a great day just as you like it. It says 31º and clear this  A M. see you all Later.

Lloyd

Amy

Good morning everyone..
I have a waltz to tend to. We have 5 inches of new snow and it is still falling..wonder if this is a preview of an April Fools joke??

Will be back later better get dressed for the ball......

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone, shocking temperature already 55° at 8:am. Seems like years since it was that warm so early instead of months. Love it. Yesterday was so nice I finally shed the winter jacket when I went outside and it was so nice I stayed out most of the day. A new lady moved in yesterday so met her. Her movers were funny, always joking with those of us who were on the porch. Wonder when the maintenance man will be moving the wicker chairs on the porch. There are a couple of benches out there but not too comfortable to sit on. Another time I am glad for my rollator, have my own seat.

JANE  up till about 10 years ago this is the kind of weather I would be washing walls and windows getting rid of winter grime. Now I am unable to do much of anything.

PHYLLIS  I like most all home made soup, even in hot summer some good clam chowder hits the spot. Of course need clam cakes to go with it.

JOY  I had to laugh when my son told me I could always go to his house and soak in their whirlpool bath. Would never get in or out of it.Might make my back feel much better but no can do so a shower is it.

LLOYD  I love the grain of real wood.  I have wood floors in this apartment but not real wood and cheap imitation and the grain is not like anything I have seen before. Now if you made a recipe box with some Saguaro cacti on it I would pay what you wanted for it. The saguaro cactus always amazed me even before I really saw on when my daughter and SIL took me to Arizona and I finally saw them.

LARRY  looks like you joined the right church when you moved there. Sounds like a wonderful caring group of people. Looks like you wore yourseld out with all you did yesterday. Take it easy.

Just  heard on the news that on this day in 1997 we had a sudden blizzard that started on this day and ended on April first. What an April Fool joke from Mother Nature.

AMY  my Mom made rice pudding and I used to make it, too, but it was baked in the oven. There is something about the bowls I have now that do not work for the baked pudding. I think the bown these days are all to smooth and shiny.

JANE  I got a chuckle picturing you trying to rake snow.

JENNY  I don't think I would be able to pull myself up a ladder out of a pool anymore.

GLORIA de  if I got into a tub I would have to be taken out of it. I do not have the strength in my arms and shoulders to lift myself out.

CALLIE  I know a few others whe bake their meatballs, easier than standing at the stove and turning them.

SHIRLEY  hearing how some people suffer with allergies at this time of year makes me thank God I have none SO FAR!

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a cloudy morning but we only have a low chance of rain.  I am just going to check in this morning as used up most of my energy getting my bath this morning. I am listening to our Church service from last week.  It is recorded on Sunday morning but not available on the website until towards the end of the week.

Amy

The snow is cleaned up, what I could of it. Heavy wet snow and the bottom is full of water.

It was a year ago that we lost Joan, I would imagine June and Joanie are catching up on things now.

Callie, that doesn't seem fair on all the others that work hard for the show. That one person has let all the others down .I would also love your recipe for the baked meatballs please.

Gloria, I had to google the  Saguaro cacti ,they are impressive!! Wonder, do they also flower?  I also love the grain of wood and birds eye maple is one of my favorites.Clam chowder is so good! Used to make it for my friend when he came to have lunch with us..he and I would enjoy it and Kyle would have something else.

Larry, good morning to you...:)

Lloyd, have a wonderful day.take it easy.

Jane, where are you???

Enjoy your day everyone.

Jimmy Dean

JaneS

I've been to church, stayed for coffee hour and then took a walk through WM Garden center.  I need some help outside and I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and hire someone unknown to anyone I know. 

I've baked my meatballs for the better part of 20 years.  When I can spaghetti sauce, I make upwards of 40 plus meatballs and one year I just decided to try it.  It worked pretty well.  Just made my regular meatballs, lined them up on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed and stuck them in the oven at 350.  Checked them after 10 minutes and then turned them a bit every 5 minutes or so.  It worked and it's been working ever since.  Lots less messy than top of the stove and I can do them one day, refrigerate and make the spaghetti sauce the next day.

Can't decide what to do today...maybe a little more raking...maybe not!  Enjoy your day!

Mary Ann

Gloria, it was 25 degrees here at 8 am and the wind was blowing.  I wore my Spring coat buttoned and got along OK, but I went from house to car to church to car to restaurant and did not suffer, however, I did feel the wind.

Amy, we noticed snow flurries, but no accumulation.

The sun is not shining today, either.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good afternoon,beautiful day yesterday, now as I look out it is pouring rain

Gloria, I just read we could have some snow in the Nor'easter that is on its way. Paper said, the temp. could fall 40 degrees :o Yesterday with all the company in and out, I had the slider open.  good to have fresh air in the house'

Callie, I agree with Amy, that one person could ruin it for all the members.

Mary Ann, looks like we are going to get some of your cool weather

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,
Re:  the show in Florida.  Situation was really the fault of the theatre management.  Don't know the exact circumstances but, apparently, they were "hovering on the brink" of financial difficulties, anyway.
They should have had understudies for at least the main roles that could have stepped in at the last minute.
Ellen's  friend had performed in several Stage Door productions during the past three years and always had a good experience.  I'm sure this one was good for Ellen professionally. 
She's back in NYC and her usual routine.  All is well.

Here's a link to the Meat Ball recipe.  Directions are similar to the way JaneS does hers.
Scroll past the pictures to get the itemized recipe and directions.
Personal comments:  Another recipe I'd found said to use 1 1/2 oz of meat for each meatball.  I have a scoop that measures ounces and that's how I knew I got 16 balls from a pound of ground beef.
Good idea to turn them half way through the baking time.

Baked Meatballs

March is going out like a lamb in central Oklahoma.  Gorgeous day - even if we did start out with below-freezing temperature.

Have been to church but not OTL.  Two of the group weren't there and the other one had Plans.
I hope to trim back daffodils this afternoon.

Hope Everyfriend Everywhere is having an Enjoyable Day.

Shirley

Sounds yummy to me, Callie, I'll be baking them next time I go to Sam's for their Angus hamburger. Thank you. Kind on nippy here today & yesterday after that spring 70s for a few days before.

Gloria, guess you are enjoying our quickie spring. Sure hope that wasn't all of it & go right into summer.  ::) Andy called from his campout & the temps had dropped 40° in minutes (he was prepared... ;)  )... He is on his way back to store the little camper in my spare garage. He used it one night but slept in his tent with the boys last night, each had their own.

I also love real wood and did look for that sycamore type you talked about, Lloyd, but couldn't find anything about it. We have a lot of sycamore trees in KS, I planted one down near the river & it is huge now. Planted another 2 in the front yard but they are still small. Had to have a Cleveland pear tree cut down because it was leaning, it was probably 15 years old but never did grow right. I get these little baby trees growing all over the flower beds & they do better than ones we buy. I move them into a flower pot for a year or so & then transplant when tall enough my "mow-guy" can't run over them.

I'd better keep moving, trying to clean off this table (a week's worth of mail clutter). That sun is deceiving, looks nice out but enough wind to "chill one to the bone".

JaneS

Found two guys who are willing to do a one time thing in my yard and then talk about doing other stuff.  They are both coming by this week to give me an estimate and talk about what else needs done.  We shall see! 

My friend and I were planning to see Dumbo at the movies but it will be a tight squeeze if he decided to come before 4:30.  I guess we shall see that, too.

SHIRLEY, it's very hard not to do what the kids are doing when you go camping with them.  That's one of the fun things about camping with the scouts....Girl or Boy!  I loved seeing them learn to love doing the things at camp that I've loved all my life.  And that's one of the things I miss these days.

I have put up the screen for the doggies to go in and out when they please and we've actually had some weather when I could let the door open so they had that access.  Mickie will just sit on the porch and take it all in.  She doesn't even come back in for her "cookie".  She loves just being outside.

I hope you're all having a good day!

Denver

A good Sunday HELLO to EVERYFRIEND💐💐

A little bit of sunshine for us today but it did not get very warm. All the snow from Friday Night is gone though. 

AMY, so much for you hoping you would not have to waltz with the snowblower again🥰🥰🥰 Joke, joke....like you were not going to have measurable snow again!  It is just like here...one day summer! Next day back in the deep freeze again!  The joy of living in the Rockies!  I could not believe it has been a year since Joan passed when I saw it on my calendar.  Saguaro Cacti do flower....I will try to send you a nice picture.  A friend of mine in Phoenix lives on a extra large lot and she has the most beautiful blooming cacti.....her yard could be a bontanical garden.  So  pretty. 

GLORIA, I thought of you this morning when I was looking at pictures tha5 my AZ friend shared....she was replanting a Occotillo Cacti in her yard along with some golden barrel cacti....her yard is just a treat to see....so many different blooming cact8 and desert plants.....it is spectacular.   How nice to spend time outside with out a coat.  I hope the new neighbors is someone you will enjoy visiting with for a good time to come. 

CALLIE, I just hope Ellen got paid at some point and she and the others are not left holding the bag! I thought the pictures were fabulous and I am just sad it did not finish out as planned.  Thank you for sharing the backed meatball recipe.....I have backed mine like this years ago, but have not in a very long time...so this will motivate me.

I fixed the nicest looking bone in center cut pork chops today....they were tasty, but only nice and tender near the bone.....I was SO hopeful they would be as nice as they looked! 

Best of luck with the yard men, JANE.  I hope they show up and do just what you want at a fair price.  We have such a hard time getting people to come as promised.  We have been dealing with a guy to install 3 new sky lights since the middle of September. He says our current ones are not a standard size, so he will have to retro fit them, and we just can not believe it.  He has been here 4 times to look at them...one of those he could not get on the roof as there was too much snow up there...now we have had a clear roof and we have not heard a word from him....so disappointing.

Tomorrow is Chemo for Michele at the cancer center so we will be busy all week helping out with the children.

I must run......have a good evening and pleasant dreams to all.

Jenn

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

so_P_bubble