Random Image

To Heck With Dye

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:46:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Maryz - thanks for the letting us know the date of the upcoming Educated, discussion on Senior Learn.  I don't belong to SL, but I've followed lots of the book discussions over the years.

Callie - I'm looking forward to your opinion on, Pachinko?  I'm almost finished with Educated, and I really like it, but beyond shocking in throughout the book!  I'm curious as to what those on SL, have to say about it? 
Like MarsGal, I plan to also borrow "OBE", in the future!  ;D 

maryc

Lots of interesting titles mentioned here. I'll be interested in How the States Got Their Shapes.  The title Summer of '69 caught my eye.   Each year at the time of our local school class reunion there is a band called Summer of '69 that plays a concert in the Village park and it is always very well attended by the alumni and families AND the fact that Debby graduated in 1969!!
     I haven't visited for a while.  We've had a series of visitors for the past few weeks.   It was Debby's 50th class reunion and about the same time our family came from NC for their annual vacation at the lake.  It worked out well because our two daughter in laws happened to get here at the same time so we had a family girl's lunch which doesn't happen too often with one in NC and one in CA and two here.  Anyway it was a busy time but time very well spent with family and old friends. 
    I've been reading at bedtime and finished the one book about Lewiston and another that I picked up just at random on a library visit.  The second book turned out to be very good historical fiction  about Niagara Falls, Ontario.   The title is The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan.   It is a novel but like the one about Lewiston it uses real people  and events in creating a good story.   As I read, I recognized people and places that made it more intersting.  If you have visited the Falls,  you might remember seeing the old work scow that sits grounded  a few hundred yards above the falls.  The rescue of those workmen was made very real in the story.
    Today I picked up a book from the new fiction shelf called Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts.  The author's name caught my eye.   I thought of Billie Letts who wrote The Walmart Baby story but it is not her.  Anyway this story has started off like one that will keep me reading.
Mary C

Marilyne

maryc - I'm interested in reading The Day The Falls Stood Still, and plan to put it on my library list.  Another book you might like is, The Falls, by Joyce Carol Oats.  I know . . .  she writes strange and complicated books, but this one is fairly "normal" if I remember correctly?  Some of her novels I've liked, but others I haven't wanted to finish.  This was one that I liked.   That reminds me . . . I watched the old movie, Niagara, a couple of days ago. The story was pretty predictable and dated, but I did like seeing the camera shots of the falls. some good photography, considering the movie was made in the 1950's.

Tomereader - Have you seen the TV series, adapted from Midnight in Chernobyl?  It's playing on Netflix, and is very good, I think.  So far we've watched two episodes and will continue on tonight with two more. It's much easier to remember or follow along with the various characters, now that I can put a face, to the complicated Russian names. The series is titled, just, Chernobyl, and is a British TV production.

CallieOK

Help yourself to OBE! I "borrowed" it from a retired Navy friend; don't know if it's a military term or just one he made up.  ;) 

Yesterday, I went to a book club meeting/luncheon.  Lots of lively conversation about "Beach Books" we're reading this summer.  I chose to tell about Elin Hilderbrand's latest novels and shared a comment I'd read that she is the "queen of Beach Books".  Another member teasingly "disputed" that comment because she likes Mary Kay Andrews. We decided EH is the queen of Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard and MKA reigns on the barrier islands off Charleston.

Sounded as if everyone is looking forward to discussing "Pachinko" when our regular meetings begin in September.  So I guess I'll finish it <sigh>.

Am still working on "The Guest List" by Sarah Blake.  I'm about 75% through it and still haven't figured out where the title came from. Also wish she had made it more clear to which generation she's referring when the chapters skip from the 1930's to the present day and back to the 1940's, etc. "Other than that"  ;) ... I do like the story.

I don't think I'm ever going to find the Round Tuit for Netflix.  I'm determined not to add anything else to My List until I catch up with what's already there.

Nothing on the schedule for the next few days. Maybe....

maryc

Marilyne,  I did read The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates.   It was good but between the actions of the young bridegroom and some of the other stuff going on in that story made the going a little tough.    It was pretty true to fact when she got into the  part about Love Canal.   I'm very familiar with the place where the family lived in the later years.   It still stands as a community that was built for factory workers back in those years though of course by now many of the homes have been refurbished.   Geographically Ms. Oates stayed on course much better than she did in We Were the Calhouns.   That was about this part of the state but her reference to town names were all over the place. ;D
  Marilyne, I think you would like Finding Dorothy.   Here is a link to a pretty good review.
https://bookpage.com/reviews/23593-elizabeth-letts-finding-dorothy-i-class-fa-fa-star-i-fiction

Callie,   You have mentioned a couple authors of beach books that I hadn't run across.  ::)    I'll check them out.  Thank you!!
Mary C

CallieOK

Have finished "The Guest Book" and revised my opinion. The meaning of the title is revealed in the last chapter and actually ties everything together.
Basic theme of the story is how attitudes change through 3 generations (or just seem to) about several social issues that divide people.
Not really light reading but I recommend it.....and have suggested it as a discussion selection for my Book Club next season.

Tomereader1

Marilyne, I didn't know Chernobyl was on Netflix, but I certainly will watch. It premiered on HBO which my Dish no longer lets me watch. so I'm thrilled it is on Netflix now.  I have been bingeing on "Medium" which I'm sure you wouldn't be a fan of. It's on Hulu. but i loved the show when it was on yrs ago.

Marilyne

Tome - so sorry I misled you!  Chernobyl is only playing on HBO, at this time.  Because it's in streaming format, I was thinking it was on Netflix. (HBO shows are usually on a week to week basis, not streaming.)  Also, we are now using the "voice" thing on our remote, so we only speak into the remote and say, "Chernobyl", and it appears!  So I obviously lost track of what channel it was on.  Sorry for my mistake, and I do hope it goes to Netflix or Amazon soon, so you can watch it.  Very well done!

CallieOK

Marilyne  I'm about 75% through Pachinko and recommend you try again and stick with it.  Can't say it's a great book but it has been an interesting story so far about a Korean family from the Japanese occupation of that country through WWII. I think the story is about to move into the time period of the Korean Conflict.

Correction on the Beach Book queens.  Mary Kay Andrew's stories are set on the islands off Georgia. 
Mary Alice Monroe sets hers around Charleston.  She is an advocate for the preservation of sea turtles and this is often worked into her stories.

SCFSue

After my husband died in 2002, I went to Charleston (S.C.) to a gathering of women who were staying out at the beach near Sullivan's Island.  Mary Alice Monroe came out to the condo where we were staying (there were several men in our group, too) and talked about her work with the turtles at the beach.  I had read several of her novels and enjoyed her visit to our group.  She then invited us to Charleston to visit the turtles who were young and were waiting for movement to the beaches.  She is an expert on turtles and frequently includes them in her novels.

SCFSue

Tomereader1

Marilyne, Netflix does show several Chernobyl-related movies/documentaries but not the movie. There's a new brouhaha going on down here (I guess anywhere there's AT&T)  any of their U-Verse or Direct TV users will not be getting CBS programming on their local channels due to a " retransmission fee" dispute. Hope this doesn't affect many S&F viewers. (article appeared in Sunday's edition of The Dallas Morning News)

MarsGal

Last night I finished River of Stars by Guy Gaviel Kay. The more I got into it, the more interesting it became. The setting is the 12th Dynasty at the beginning of the wars between the Jin and the Song which eventually saw the downfall of the Song Dynasty. The main characters are "inspired" by real people. Among these are Li Qingzhau, considered to be one of the greatest of China's poets, her husband, who was indeed very much into epigraphy, and General Yue Fei, whose life became legend thanks partly to a book his grandson wrote in the 13th century. Historians, of course, are questioning some of his grandson's assertions. Li Qingzhau's poetry has been translated into English, although I only see two old translations. I have not checked to see if the bio of Yue Fei has been translated yet. The Jin were the steppe people who swept down from the very northern part of China and pushed the Song Empire back to the Yangtze River.

Kay wrote another book set in China during the 8th or 9th century (I think) called Under Heaven. I have a notion to read that next if I can get a hold of it. I also may order one of the translations of Li Qingzhau's poetry.

SCFSue

Good morning, Callie and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  Callie, I played bridge yesterday with your friend from Opelika.  I play once a month at the retirement home near me and she was there as a new member.  We had a good hand and I enjoyed playing with her.  As I was leaving to go home, I saw her outside with her 2 dogs.  She is a very friendly person and a really good bridge player.  I'm assuming that she has moved into one of the homes in the retirement center.

SCFSue

CallieOK

Good morning.

Sue, Jennye said she played bridge with you yesterday. So glad you've met.  She has moved into one of the villas at Azalea and likes it very much. Those two dogs are her "life"!  :)

I'm  baking mini cupcakes for Bridge tomorrow. Timer went off,  BBL..

Marilyne

Callie and Sue - How nice that you now have a mutual friend.  Sounds like Jennye has recently moved to Alabama?  I'll take a look at my trusty AAA Atlas, and see how close Oklahoma City is to Opelika?

Callie - Now I'm sorry that I gave my copy of "Pachinko" away.  I can tell that I didn't give it a fair chance.  Well, there's always the library, and it might be out in Large Print by now?  My library copy of "Educated" was in large print, which is easier to read, but sometimes hard to handle in size and weight.  I've looked into the SL discussion on, "Educated", a couple of times, and find it to be very good and interesting to follow along.  There seems to be a general consensus of opinion, that I agree with.

Right now I have a few library books checked out, but have been busy with other things, so I haven't done much reading this week. Can't remember the titles right now, but one is the latest novel by Jodi Picoult.

CallieOK

Marilyne, Pachinko didn't end the way I expected.
A friend and I agreed that the author dropped the ball at the end..

Educated discussion was interesting, wasn't it?  I also agreed with the general view points.

My friend who met Sue and I were sorority sisters and roommates at OU.  She moved around more than I did and had taught in the Auburn area for several years.  She had been back in Oklahoma for a while hoping to reconnect with friends from student years.  Recently she decided to move closer to her family in Atlanta and people she had known as an adult professional.  I think she made a wise decision.

I have 4 e-books going and hope no more show up from my holds for a while. The Summer Guests by Mary Alice Monroe is about a hurricane and show horses not turtles. So far, it's good.

JeanneP

I checked my library for Pachinko. The don't have it in LP but die have 14 waiting on hold for it in regular print. Just put my name on list . will check the size of the print.
I had not heard of it prior to the other posting on here.

Weather pretty nice here at moment. Man to Jet Wash my place cam by but had a big flat bed full of trees he had cut down on it. Along with having a big truck I told him that i didn't want it block the street and to pick another day. Now suppose to be tomorrow If he can get his truck fixes. It broke down on the way home.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I'm late today as I stayed up last night to finish a book I was reading.  I've just finished my daily walk and it was HOT outside.  I don't like to skip the walk and didn't, but really need to get up, eat breakfast, and outside earlier than I did this morning!

MarilynE, Opelika is the town east of Auburn where I live.  My middle son and his wife live in Opelika.  Auburn is a bit larger than Opelika, but both are nice places to live.  My neighborhood has a good division of residents.  Some of us are older and enjoy seeing the youngsters of the young neighbors playing outside.  I used to make lots of cookies during Christmas vacation and had a "cookie party" for the youngsters in our neighborhood.  Those children are now in college and although there are a few new young ones, I haven't done that in several years.

Not much else to report here this morning except that it is HOT!  I've been out to walk and I had to struggle up hill as I was walking as fast as I could.  I wanted to get back inside the house where it is cooler!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy!
Sue

SCFSue

Good Sunday Afternoon, Every Buddy.  I've just come home from church where one of my younger friends who I mentored on trips where we were helping Gulf Coast places which had been hit by the big hurricane in New Orleans and other coastal areas.  Patrick works at the Conference Center in Birmingham and told me after church that he is engaged.  I remember him being very popular with young ladies who also were helping with recovery efforts.  He dated quite a few of them, but never very seriously.  His parents and I were close and I attended his church in N.C. when he was ordained.  I expected to see his parents today, but they weren't there.

I don't have much planned for the rest of the day.  I'll fix my lunch shortly and then start reading one of my new library books.

I hope Every Buddy is doing well and Feeling OK, especially Jane and Ray.  I hope all is well with them.  Take care Every Buddy and check in when you can!

Sue

maryc

It's a lazy Sunday afternoon here too.  Went to church and had lunch with a friend who came across from Ontario today to visit our church.  Debby is busy helping to finish the decorating for Vacation Bible School that starts tomorrow.  I gardened yesterday so decided I would have a lazy afternoon on the porch swing.  I finished Finding Dorothy and recommend it if you like history.  I'm now reading another book from the new bookshelf at the library.  The title is Women Rowing North....Navigating Life's Currents and Flourishing as We Age by Mary Pipher.  Good so far.
Mary C

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy looking in this morning.  My son Tim (who lives in Opelika--nearby) came to take me to my (Big Squeeze) this morning.  My boobs are so small that there is a lot of OUCHIE pulling to get them under the thing.  I survived it, though, and am glad to have it over for another year!

MaryC, it's good to see you here this morning.  We usually have Jane, and other Buddies here early, too, but perhaps they have early doctor appointments or other errands to run.

Not much else to report from Auburn.  I've walked in my neighborhood after Tim left and am planning to stay inside (or perhaps do a little weed pulling, but not stay outside very long!)

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

MarsGal

Hi Everybody!

Here is my reading update: I did pick up and start Under Heaven. It has an interesting beginning in which the main character has set himself a tremendous task in honor of his deceased father during the mandatory mourning period of two years.

Having set myself a goal of listening to at least one chapter a day from my audio books, I am now only four chapters away from finishing Carthage Must be Destroyed.[ All of those Hannibals, Hammilcars, and Hanos are a bit confusing, but now I am finally to the Hannibal with whom we are all familiar

I also started a SciFi, name forgotten at the moment, which I would ordinarily not continue with because I discovered it includes fighting flesh-eating aliens. I do not like SciFi horror stories. However, I took a liking to the main character, and the writing is fairly good.

Last night, I watched a series on the Crimean War that I ran across on Amazon. Lots of photos and art, and first-hand accounts.

maryz

SCFSue, this is the Library Bookshelf discussion, not the Bosom Buddies.  We've missed you over there.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

CallieOK

Sue,  I think you posted your posts backwards.
Private message received and answered.  :)

SCFSue

Well, I just attribute my mistakes to a wandering mind.  I'm sorry about that, but sometimes I'm just forgetful.  The fall I had from my roof 4 years ago has not improved my memory!

Sue

Marilyne

SCFSue - We're happy to see you here in Library~Bookshelf, whether you meant to come in or not!  :)   You mentioned that you visit the library every week, and read lots of books?  Come back here any time, and tell us what you've been reading, and give us some of your recommendations?  Looking forward to seeing you here again.

I'm reading a fascinating non-fiction book titled,  THE CODDLING OF THE AMERICAN MIND - How good intentions and bad ideas are setting up a generation for failure.   This is a must read, for those of us who are interested in, but puzzled by, the generation who are now in college, or in their twenties.  This is not about the much touted "Millennials", but the next generation after . . . often called "Snowflakes".  This is fascinating reading!!  You will see the vast differences in how the different generations have been raised over the decades.  Although I'm only half way through the book, it makes me fear for the future. 

CallieOK

Quote from: SCFSue on July 30, 2019, 09:02:29 AMWell, I just attribute my mistakes to a wandering mind.  I'm sorry about that, but sometimes I'm just forgetful.  The fall I had from my roof 4 years ago has not improved my memory!

Sue
Sue, I have those "Intellectual Interludes" more frequently than I'd like!!!!  ;)
I agree with Marilyne.....do come back and comment on the books you're reading.

I just began reading "Finding Dorothy" which is a fictional story about Mary Baum (wife of L. Frank Baum) attempting to become involved with the filming of "The Wizard of Oz' in 1938.
She had just gotten in to see Louis B. Mayer and heard Judy Garland sing "Over The Rainbow" in rehearsal when the story went back to Mary's childhood and growing up years.
Looks like an interesting fictional biography about someone I'd never thought of as being worth writing about.

maryc

Callie,  I hope you enjoy Finding Dorothy as much as I did.  I started it thinking that it would be just ok but found it to be full of interesting facts and a good story.
Mary C

CallieOK

Mary C,  so THAT"S where I learned about "Finding Dorothy".  Talk about Intellectual Interludes!!!!  :crazy2:
Thanks for the recommendation! 

maryc

Callie😊. It's ok...I just happened across it while browsing the "new book shelf" at our library.  It was a good find.
Mary C