Random Image

Fe ready for school

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of January 1

Started by JoanFL, January 01, 2017, 03:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's a breakfast casserole to go with your coffee or tea.  I wish you ALL a blessed and Happy New Year.

Thanks to Phyllis for her lovely “New Year” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Ten Indications of a New Year Hangover

1.   You get it into your head that chirping birds are the Devil's pets.
2.   Trying to gain control of the situation, you continue to tell your room to "Stay still."
3.   Looking at yourself in the mirror induces the same reaction as drinking a glass of fresh paint.
4.   The bathroom reminds you of the fairground cry, "Step right up and give it whirl!"
5.   You'd rather chew tacks than be exposed to sunlight.
6.   You set aside an entire afternoon to spend some quality time with your toilet.
7.   You replace the traditional praying on your knees with the more feasible praying in a fetal position.
8.   Your catch phrase is, "Never again."
9.   You could purchase a new fridge on the proceeds from recycling the bottles around your bed.
10.   Your new response to "Good morning," is "Be quiet!"

Food For Thought

This New Year
by Aleena more by Aleena

Even during the worst of times
When I feel the years go slipping by
Life seems rife with possibilities
When the New Year arrives.

Buoyed by hope at the New Year coming
I feel renewed and want to start living.
This year I'll travel and see the sights,
I'll be bold, I'll be courageous.

I'll reach out and go beyond.
I might even try being flirtatious!
I'll be a new fish in a brand new pond.
This new year I'll be brave and I'll be strong.

Even though time does fly,
I won't let this year be wasted.
I'll look forward to new adventures
And be open to opportunities I am graced with.

I'll learn and laugh and have good times.
I won't dwell on years gone by.
I'll start each new morning a brand new way.
I'll pretend it is New Year's Day!

Thought of the Day

“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

― Edith Lovejoy Pierce

:smitten:

Lloyd Hammond

well I am sure not the first here today and sure can't do all the bells and whistles the rest of you can. but I wish you all the best new year you have ever Had. most of last year if it was not for bad luck I have had non at all. yeastier day I put all three new battery's in work truck so would have it to drive to work
the starter will not do but just click so now have to take it off and get a new one or rebuilt. what a way to start the new year tomorrow fixing the truck. I am going to be a couch jockey today regardless. I wish you all a great day and a better tomorrow.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  Thank you for the good wishes.

JaneS

Good Morning and a Good New Year to Everyfriend!

I thought I posted a "Good Night" wish last night but if I wrote one, I must have exited without posting.  Cramps in my leg from the knee all the way down and into my foot kept me awake for a part of the night and crazy dreams interrupted my sleep for some of the night.  Cramps are so frustrating because nothing you do makes them go away!

I wish you all a Happy New Year full of whatever you wish for yourselves!  Good Luck, Good fortune, Good Health, Good Friends, Good food, Good times...God be with you!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  I know those cramps can be unrelenting.  Thanks for all the good wishes.  I wish them for you, too.

Amy

Good morning everyone..
Since I did not dance the New Year in ,I will be dancing with the snow blower this morning..not a lot of new snow but I do have to remove it before the VON comes.

I will also join in and wish everyone a Happy New Year may you be blessed with good health and happiness . We are staying quiet today, may go over to the wee coffee shop and have lunch. Not sure what we will have for supper, I am leaning towards roast beef and Yorkshire pudding..but will see how the day goes.

Jane, those cramps are not nice ,sure hope you can cat nap today.

Lloyd, I hope 2017 is a better year for you.

Joan ,thank you for all you do for us and the delicious breakfasts you serve.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

Happy New Year to All!

I didn't make it to midnight but the New Year came anyway, with no help from me.  I woke up to a rainy day.  I am thinking that 2017 is pretty much the same as 2016.  ;)

June, so glad to read that the body is healing.  Have been worried about you.

Jane, a glass of Gatorade a day has helped my leg cramps a lot.  I'm not crazy about Gatorade but the Lemon/Lime is acceptable.

My Ford Escape is seven years old and has all the bells and whistles that I care to handle.  Just dealt with the car insurance company on Friday to get my insurance reduced....the latest premium bill had another big increase going to the bloated insurance company.  I'm so disgusted with them all.  I wonder what kind of car the company's CEO drives?  Probably he/she is chauffeured.   :(

I'm a putterer, Callie.  When I'm stressed or bored I go all over the house putting things straight and positioned just right...to my way of thinking.  I'm not sure if it relieves the stress but it makes the house look neater.   ::)
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Phyllis, you're dead right about the Gatorade.  I've been fighting cramps with it ever since my grandson was 12 (he'll be 25 in April).  I had a bad leg cramp during dinner at their house and I had to stand up.  When he heard me say it was a cramp, he never missed a bite but said to my daughter, "Give her some Gatorade".  To my amazement, it worked in less than 15 minutes.  But like you, the only one I can take is the Lemon-lime.   I'm never without it in the house and that's what relieved it so I could sleep last night.

I'm off to take a shower and get ready for church.  I'm reading the lesson today.  I'm another that didn't see the New Year in.  I woke up from a short nap about 10 and went to bed.  Today is another day and another year!

Lloyd Hammond

well with great friends like we have here in soda shop can't help but be mostly good.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  I am sorry you have to dance with that snowblower today.  Going out to lunch sounds like a good idea to me.:)

Phyllis--Good morning.  Like you, I slept long before the New Year arrived.  Strange that Gatorade gets rid of cramps for many, but it doesn't work for me.

Janie--Like I told Phyllis, Gatorade doesn't work for me.  Wish it did.

Lloyd--You're right.

larryhanna

Happy New Year Everyone.  It arrived without my help as I was long asleep. We had a rainy night and it continues to rain today with a high probability all day long.  I am going to Sunday School and Church and then will pick up my granddaughter and take her to lunch and then out to do some shopping.  She came here with only a small bag so basically needs everything.  Pat had put together a basket of personal type items that she had already sent home with Scott to give to her.  I will give her a dollar limit and let her shop.  I expect it will be to Walmart we will go and I can sit inside on the benches and let her shop and then pay for the things when she has finished.  I will be ready to rest when she has finished shopping and I get home.  I did watch the college football games yesterday where Alabama and Clemson won.  Clemson is a South Carolina school located about 90 miles from here.  These teams were ranked number one and two in the nation and had been throughout the year, if I remember correctly.

Joan, I don't think we will get out of the mid-50's today.  Enjoy the nice warm weather down your way as this new year begins.

Shirley, with so many bells and whistles going off at once I would think you would almost be afraid of moving the Encore at all.  It is a wonder the car doesn't blow a fuse!  I bet having the two little ones to help take the candy off the tree was a lot of fun and very tiring for you.  Did they get to take the candy home with them?

Gloria, forgetting to turn the coffee pot on is better than having it turned it on and forgetting to put a cup under the place where the new coffee is expelled.  We have done that a couple of times and it creates a panic situation when you realize what you have done.  Fortunately there is a little catch basin under where the cup sits so it doesn't make a big mess.

Callie, it sounds like Miss Ellen is wise in staying away from the big crowds last night for the celebration in NYC.  A good goal in trying to be sure you don't manipulate anyone else.  I find it hard enough to just telling myself what to do much less anyone else.

JaneS, I wife and I are totally different in the kitchen.  I put things away and into the dish washer as I finish with them whereas she piles everything in the sink and waits until she is done to put things away.  I don't like a lot of clutter around me when I cook.  Pat has put her coloring books and pencils and pens away as she wasn't using them and probably never well again.  I expect this has been somewhat of a fad that will fade away.

Beverly, I am always amazed at how many people always seem to be at COSTCO.  I am also amazed  that they can sell all of the stuff they have displayed as almost everything is displayed in large bulk.  I am not so concerned about the car ahead of me as always try to allow plenty of space to give me the opportunity to get stopped.  It is the backing out that concerns me.

Lloyd, your problems with machinery reminds me so much of growing up on the farm when my dad always seemed to be having to fix something.  Of course, he never bought new equipment so repair was an expected occurrence.  Also the hard use a farmer has for his equipment causes many of the breakdowns as I know you are more than aware.  I do hope you have a much better year than the last. 

Radioman34

Happy New Year!  Twelve more days and I'm off to the other side of the world :smitten:

halkel

Happy New Year Everyone.

Amy you made my mouth water with the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.   One of my favorite meals.

Gotta run, off to church, wife has greeting this morning.

June thanks for the good news.

Jeanne Lee

[attachimg=1]

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

CallieOK

A New Year's Good Morning to all,

Phyllis, putting away is more like my organizing than cleaning!  Surfaces under my stacks probably wouldn't pass the white glove test.  ;D

According to the Facebook picture,  Miss Ellen and some friends brought in the New Year while cruising on a party boat around Manhattan.  She had mentioned this possibility while she was home - sounded as if it fit everybody's budget, so definitely wasn't a "charter" thing.  I think she said it would go around Staten Island.   Looked as if they were having fun.

Plan A is to "Get Me To The Church On Time"  la la la   :)

Hope Everyfriend Everywhere has an Enjoyable Day.

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  How nice of you to take your granddaughter shopping and get her outfitted.  Very thoughtful of Pat to put together personal type items to give her.  It's supposed to get into the 80s here today but STILL no rain.

Good morning Radioman.  I know you are excited about your upcoming trip.

halkel--Good morning. 

Jeanne Lee--Good morning. Thank you and the same to you.

Good morning, Callie.  Miss Ellen's New Year's Eve around Staten Island on a party boat sound like lots of fun.

Vanilla-Jackie

CALLIE K....
...why? are you getting married in the morning.... ;D

" Plan A is to "Get Me To The Church On Time"  la la la..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFCqDVMiqU
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

CallieOK

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on January 01, 2017, 10:19:00 AM
CALLIE K....
...why? are you getting married in the morning.... ;D

" Plan A is to "Get Me To The Church On Time"  la la la..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFCqDVMiqU

:roflBig:

Gloria

Good morning everyone, tried to change the way I start my mornings in the new year. Not gonna work. Have to start here with my coffee. Nothing else will work for me. Think I do not like changes any more. Just after midnight some joker started shooting fireworks, woke me up. 

HAL  you stayed up late to see the Times Square celebration? I am in that time zone and I would never bother checking it out.

JUNE  don't let the Laptop get you frustrated. You had to learn your Mac, too, when you first got it. So good to read that your body is healing. This new year will be better for you God willing.

PHYLLIS  that graphic sure is a New Year celebration. Like the silhouette on this side of the river. Thanks.

JOAN  a small serving of your breakfast casserole will be good.   Sure glad none of those Chuckles are what I feel in the morning. This New Year oh to start each day like that with no aches and pains. Thank you for all today's goodies.

LLOYD  hope this year will be much better for you.

JANE  I agree, cramps are not nice especially when they keep you awake.

AMY  don't think many places will be open here today.

LARRY  it was pouring here when I went to bed last night, this morning the sun is shining.

DON  are you packed already to fly across the pond?

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Gloria--I only heard a brief period of fireworks here last night.  I sure wish it would rain here.  When I step outside I smell the strong odor from all the brush fires.

Radioman34

Gloria, I started packing a week ago, then I unpacked and started over. There is a lot of stuff to take. I'm nearly done now...I think.

JoanFL

Radioman--I'll bet before it's time to depart you might change a few things again in your luggage.:)

Lindancer

Good afternoon, a sunny day to start off the year, temp. in the high 40's

First Happy New Year to all my friends.

June, I also have a lap top, that I used in the hospital, but when I got home I am back to my desk top. Just glad I do have the lap top, which I use once in a while. Hope you keep feeling better.

Amy, I also like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, we use to have it every Christmas dinner. There was a receipt in the paper just before Christmas, for making it in muffin tins, I might try that.

Larry a couple of months ago, my friend that calls and tells me to put the coffee on and she will bring KFC. I did put the coffee on, when she came I turn the machine on, and when I went to pour the coffee, it was just HOT WATER! I forgot to put the coffee in, I was so embarrassed, of course she just laughed .

Callie, Miss Ellen, was a smart girl to stay out of the city crowds. I bet they had a great time, and they could dance and hear the music.

Gloria and Joan, I just turned the TV on to watch the ball come down, then went back to the Turner channel to watch MGM in review, showing all there old musicals. I went to bed at 3AM

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Beverly

Happy New Year Everyone!

Having a slow day here. We stayed up to watch the New Year come in at Times Square. Finally got to bed around 1 a.m. I spent much of the evening on the phone with two of my closest friends in Vermont. We never run out of things to talk about!  :)

Callie - My oldest daughter went on a boat with friends on Manhattan Bay back in the 80s and she said the fireworks were spectacular. Since then they've restricted private boats beyond a certain area. She said at times she felt the fireworks were too close! Sounds as if Ellen is enjoying her time in New York.

When we went to bed we could still hear some fireworks but thankfully, not too close.

Temps are back up to 80 today.

JoanFL

Linedancer--I use a Keurig coffee maker that using pods makes one cup at a time.  Many a time I've put the water in but have forgotten the pod.  You were a night owl last night.:)

Beverly--Thank you.  As I said earlier, I didn't stay up to watch the ball drop.  It's warmed up considerably here, too.

CallieOK

The new year is starting in central Oklahoma with a beautiful sunny day.   
After missing every Sunday in December due to events beyond my control,  I was so glad to be back in church today...and to go OTL with The Church Ladies.  Our usual little diner was jam-packed with families who had young children.  No problems - just lots of people.

Don,  the count-down is on  - and I can feel your excitement!   

Lindancer,  Ellen says she avoids the Times Square area completely unless she has a specific reason to be there.   She lives in Hamilton Heights and works at 84th and 3rd Avenue - so has to either go down and back up or up and then down to get across the city.  But I don't think she has to go as far as Times Square.

Beverly,  Ellen was happy to spend time with family and friends but it was pretty evident that she is not "yearning to be home again".   I said something about being able to drive her own car again and she told me she really doesn't miss driving.   She really seems to be enjoying life in The Big Apple.

Off to finish reading the newspaper.  No ball games of interest to me until the Sugar Bowl game tomorrow so I'll probably watch something on Netflix (now that I can!) tonight - or the episode of "Call The Midwife" that I recorded and keep forgetting about.

JaneS

I hope Everyfriend is having or has had your version of the Lucky New Year's Day dinner.  I've had my pork and sauerkraut and I have enough left over that I can share if anyone wants to lock in their luck for 2017.  I'll put a bowl in the hidey hole along with some mashed potatoes.  I like it over the potatoes but some like it beside them.  Help yourselves.

I'm not looking forward to the next two months.  I don't like the early dark or the cloudy winter days.  I certainly understand why people get depressed in the winter.  I guess we just have to work harder at being happy with our lot in life.  I'm going to think about Don and Bubble being together and that should perk me up a bit!

About the coffee pot...I made coffee already with plain water and without a pot under it and without putting the lid down (mine won't go without the lid down but last month I made it with coffe grounds in the basket but no water.  Thank goodness, I discovered it before the glass coffee pot got hot enough to explode.  Sometimes, I just thank my lucky stars that no one sees the stupid things I do and thinks I'm getting senile.  They might try to lock me up before I get a chance to remind them that I've ALWAYS been forgetful! 

CallieOK

Janie,  sounds as if you're having more than your share of "Intellectual Interludes".   ;)

I'm not looking forward to the next two months, either.   Thought it might be Spring the other day because there was a flock of robins all over the fence and yard.  Then I remembered that we often see them about this time of year - and also often have our worst winter weather in January.  Oh, well!