Random Image

Girl of My Dreams graphic

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of January 1

Started by JoanFL, January 01, 2017, 03:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

Intellectual Interludes?  Maybe!  I was afraid I might be losing "IT" until I remembered that I probably never even found "IT"!

P.S.  I didn't do all those crazy coffee pot things at one time.  It was probably over a year's time.  Maybe I'm not so bad after all?

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JoanFL

Callie--I'm sure it felt good to get back to your usual Sunday routine.  It sounds to me like Miss Ellen is really enjoying living in The Big Apple.  I have to find something to watch on TV tonight, too.

Janie--I'd like to share your pork and sauerkraut--I need good luck. 

I do my share of boo-boos with many things.

Sandy--I take it you were anxious for 2017 to arrive.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Sandy

Yes Joan....
Hate to be wishing time away, 
but 2016 was a bit much.     
Looking forward to  2017  (especially the Spring, Summer and Fall) !

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

June Drabek

Good Afternoon dear hearts and gentle people. I was up till 1a.m. watching the "youth" do their noisy thing. Remember when we were one of them? I like me better being an adult. I  find it better being able to admit to my faults, than trying to blame the other guy. Just came back from a good workout walk, so legs are a bit cramped, but some pain is necessary. I have one more bag of antibiotic to transfer into me, which will be tomorrow. I am hoping that means I can go back to my building on Wed. Not allowed to go out in the hall alone..it places more responsibility on Rowntree if I should fall. 
    Gary and Dori came by earlier.They will be going to Idaho for two weeks to see their kids and their Grand babies. This is another reason I am so happy living here. Give my kids the opportunity to live their lives.
    Enough of my chatter.....I don't trust myself to wait too long to post in case I would not be able to find my way back. Hugs and Love all God's greatest Blessing in our nice New year.

As long as we are here, let's dance.

Mary Ann

We had a little different Sunday as the burger joint Dot and I go to after church was closed for the day.  I suggested we forget it for this Sunday so she brought me home.  Tom had been out late driving for Uber last night so slept in.  When he woke up, he suggested we go to I-Hop for breakfast.  He had a booklet of I-Hop coupons so we got $5 off our breakfasts.  Other than that, I did little today except compute, watch TV and nap.  I did watch the ball come down last night and went to bed shortly after.

Now that November and December are out of the way, I think I can handle January and February.  Of course, that meaning is different since I no longer have to drive to work. 

June, I hope your leg continues to improve.

Sandy, you had at least one good thing happen in 2016 - the birth of Fe.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Yes MaryAnn ....  The birth of Fe
was absolutely the highlight of 2016... 

And being able to spend some time with her every coupld of weeks is a real blessing.   

I am very fortunate to have a very good year
in 2016 (physically) ...  so I really do not have
any complaints.   

Now that I have disengaged my head from the
cable news/political channels,   I have learned to appreciate what a good life I really have.

And plan on continuing that all through out 2017... 
Primarily I still try to live life "one day at a time"
and choosing carefully what I choose to obsess upon
makes daily living a much better experience.   

Focusing on my blessings instead of the negatives
(that we all encounter,)  helps a great deal! 

Life is good. 
Everyone have a Great Week.

:smitten:
Sandy   

― Carl Sagan

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's egg, sausage and cheese croissants to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

CHUCKLES

Naval Efficiency

A young ensign had nearly completed his first overseas tour of sea duty when he was given an opportunity to display his ability at getting the ship under way. With a stream of crisp commands, he had the decks buzzing with men. The ship steamed out of the channel and soon the port was far behind.

The ensign's efficiency has been remarkable. In fact, the deck was abuzz with talk that he had set a new record for getting a destroyer under way.
The ensign glowed at his accomplishment and was not all surprised when another seaman approached him with a message from the captain.

He was, however, a bit surprised to find that it was a radio message, and he was even more surprised when he read, "My personal congratulations upon completing your underway preparation exercise according to the book and with amazing speed. In your haste, however, you have overlooked one of the unwritten rules -- Make Sure The Captain Is Aboard Before Getting Under Way."

Food For Thought

Promised Hope
By Rebecca Heys
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 9:2-7

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.
Isaiah 9:2
Tomorrow is Christmas, the day when Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. The prophet Isaiah tells us why the birth of Jesus is such great news for the world. This good news comes to people who were “walking in darkness.” But now those same people “have seen a great light.”
In the prophecy of Isaiah, darkness and light are used to represent sin and salvation. Without Christ, we are lost in the darkness of sin. But because of the birth of Jesus, we have hope in God’s light, his victory over sin and death. God promises us salvation in Jesus.
In our world and in our lives, it can sometimes feel as though the darkness is overwhelming. It can seem as though sadness and sin have the upper hand, while the light of goodness and joy are hidden in shadow.
But God’s Word promises us that light is coming to the world in Jesus. Isaiah promises a Savior who will rule the world. “He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” His reign will bring peace and joy to the world. “Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end.”
Jesus rules the whole world, and his rule is one of peace. That news is light for a darkened world.
God of promise, we look forward to celebrating the birth of Jesus tomorrow. We thank you for the light of hope you have given us in him. In his holy name we pray. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“Instead of being afraid of the massive changes, I decided to face the obstacles head on and change my attitude towards the lemons thrown at me by life.”

~ Ms April Showers

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone . hope you all have a great day on this second day of the new year.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  I hope your day is good, too.

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm not sure whether to look at this day as a downer or try to change my attitude.  First thing this morning I have to go to the dentist.  Second, I've been informed that I'm not needed to look after Kiran today because her mother took the day off.  That's good for Kiran but bad for me!  I wonder what I'll do with the time?

I hope you all have a good one today!

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  I would guess you will find something to fill that time slot that you had expected to spend with Kiran.

Amy

Good morning everyone..

I slept in!!  Yesterday I did dance with the snow blower , first thing in the morning. Today I need to clean my fridge..and tidy some cupboards ...Joanie I know you might think this as w*rk but it needs to be done and IF anyone wants to do it for me.....that gets me out of w*rk :thumbup:

Joan ,thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  My housekeepers come today, and they clean out my refrigerator for me.  Glad you don't have to dance with the snowblower today.

JaneS

Joanie, how do they know what to keep and what to toss?

JaneS

I'm off to the dentist.  If the roads are icy, I'll be right back.  I'm not driving even short distances on icy roads. 

JoanFL

Janie--There's no outdated stuff in the refrigerator and I toss leftovers before they come.  Then they wash the shelves, drawers, etc.  Good luck at the dentist.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, I woke thinking it was Tuesday. Guess I am anxious to get on the phone and start making appointments. 2 of them and the transportation. The week end was quiet around here except for the fireworks for the new year.

DON  looks like you pack like I did when I used to travel. You do have to take enough of everything in case of this or that. Afterall it has been 2 years since you flew over the pond. I know it is still early but I wish you safe flights and smooth landings. Know you will have warm welcomes when you land at your destination

GLORIA  de  it has been many years since I watched that ball drop in times square.

JANE  since  retired the early darkness does not get to me. I really disliked driving home in the dark. Going to work in the morning with headlights on did not bother me, less traffic then.

JUNE  looks like you are doing better with your laptop. Glad you could get a walk in, You always liked your walks.

JOAN  will enjoy your breakfast this morning. Love Naval Efficiency. Will send that to DIL so she can send to her cousin. He is a big wheel in the Navy.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We have had a very rainy last 24 hours with a lot more possible per the forecast but the temperature is in the mid-60's already today.  We didn't have many folks at either Sunday School or Church yesterday.

I did enjoy taking my granddaughter shopping yesterday.  I was shocked at how quickly she accomplished the task and I was home by 2:30.  I took her to a shoe store where she got a pair of dress boots and a pair of tennis shoes.  Then we went to Walmart where she found some clothes she liked.  We had stopped at Firehouse Subs for lunch.  She had heard of them but never been to one and she liked it.  As I think back over the many years that may have been the first time that just she and I had ever done anything together or spent any time alone.  It was pleasant. 

Today Pat wants to put away the Christmas decorations.  I also plan on attending my Monday noon meeting.  I will turn over the books and money as the treasurer of the group to a new person for this new year.  We have left over roast and vegetables for dinner tonight so that will be easy today.  I may make up a salad to go with the meal.

Callie, it sounds like Miss Ellen used very good judgment to be on the party boat rather than get into that huge crowd.  I haven't heard that song "Get Me to the Church On Time" for a long time. 

deAngel, we have also done the just hot water in the cup when making coffee.  Like Joan we have used the Keurig coffee maker for about three years and it is just right as makes one cup for Pat as I very, very seldom drink coffee and certainly not on a daily basis. 

JaneS, I will have to try to remember Callie's phrase of "Intellectual Interludes" as that sounds better than "I forgot". 

June, nice to read that you were able to take a walk in the halls.  I guess you are no longer contagious with the infection. 

Sandy, I also feel fortunate that 2016 was a good year health wise for me and I plan on the same for 2017.  I still have to follow the news but sure glad all the election talk is over. 

Joan, that is good humor for today and it sure gave me a chuckle.  Sometimes we can overdo our efficiency. 

JaneS, maybe you can get rid of a few more of those sofa ZZZ's with you spare time today since Kiran won't be with you. 

JaneS

I'm home from the dentist all spiffy clean and shiny.  I don't have to go back until July.  The roads were not slippery at all but it's still raining.  The temp has climbed all the way to 36 so it's not freezing on the roadways.

Larry, searching for zzzs has become a regular chore around here whether it's Kiran's day to come or not.  However, when I have her for the whole day as when there's no school, I catch my zzzs on their sofa before she hits the floor for the day. 

I stopped by WM to see if they had time to mount a search for my ears and she had just started a lengthy procecure so I came home to let the doggies out and get something to drink and I'm going back in about 15 minutes.  I hope you are all having a good day.

Larry, it sounds like your granddaughter needed a change in her life and it's nice that you and Pat and Scott are there for her.  I'm sure she's feeling comfortable with you now that she's there with all of you.

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  Good luck making appointments and finding transportation to them. 

Good morning, Larry.  I sure wish we'd get some of that rain.  How nice that you took your granddaughter shopping, out to lunch and thus just you and she spent time together. 

Janie--Glad the roads were not icy.  A "search for your ears"?  Is that a hair cut?

JaneS

Yep, Joanie, my ears were there all the time and she found 'em!

JoanFL

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Beautiful sunshiny warm day here today.  Yard man getting about the final leaves from the Oak treees and mulching them.

Helped the wife get all the indoors Christmas things put up in storage for another year.  No outside stuff this year.  Never got anyone to put it up.

Joanie thanks for breakfast for the body and mind.  Enjoyed both.

Janie happy you found your ears, I didn't know they were missing.

Larry I know you enjoyed your time with you granddaughter, isn't it nice to be able to devote some time with them.  And some spare money to share.  Seems when I was raising my family I was always short on both.

Everyone have a great day.

JoanFL

halkel--It's a bit warm here--the a/c is running.  Glad you enjoyed the food for the body and the mind.

angelface555

Good morning from a very snowed in Interior! We had several different blackouts but never for more than a couple of hours and only a few trees down in the outskirts of town. "FAIRBANKS â€" The winter storm lifted Saturday morning, leaving behind heavy snow drifts throughout Interior Alaska and hundreds without power.

The Fairbanks area saw between 10 and 15 inches of snow and whipping winds that gusted into 30 to 40 mph range, National Weather Service meteorologist Ed Plumb said Saturday afternoon.

“Wind peak gusts occurred last night, early this morning and as most people probably heard the howling out the window,” he said. “It’s basically pretty much exactly what we forecasted.”

Plumb said the highest wind speed was recorded at Fairbanks International Airport at 52 mph, which he said was unusual and was stronger than gusts seen in the hills. The airport recorded 14.5 inches of snow.

Plumb said the next few days are expected to be pretty calm in the Interior but a few inches of snow could fall Tuesday and Thursday.

“Looks like a chance for some more snow not until Tuesday night and there’s another chance on Thursday,” he said. “There’s the chance for a couple small snowfalls this upcoming week, but it’d be our normal inch or two.”

Thousands were without power through Friday night in dozens of small, localized outages throughout Golden Valley Electric Association’s grid. Winds appeared to clear most trees of built-up snow, reducing the risk of them falling.

Crews worked throughout the night and day, and power was restored to many customers. By Saturday evening, the outages were reduced to about 200 homes and businesses, according to an update GVEA posted to its Facebook page.

The update said eight crews will continue to work on restoring power through Saturday night.

“Our crews and contractors will continue to work hard until all power is restored, to bring in a bright new year,” it said.

Though the Interior appears to have escaped the worst of the snowstorm, Plumb said storm conditions are still hammering the coast and communities on St. Lawrence Island, but the storm isn’t expected to affect the Interior.

Plumb said Savoonga was experiencing gusts of 80 mph and there were reports of roofs being blown off some structures.

That storm is not going to impact the Interior,” he said. “It’s just going to be impacting the west coast with strong winds, heavy snow in the western Brooks Range, blowing snow and freezing rain and more coastal high water and ice.”

So the Interior had an interesting 2017 debut!

JoanFL

Angelface--An interesting debut indeed!!

JoanFL

It sure is quiet here in the SS.  I am going to go watch the news and then check to see what else is on.

JaneS

I'll join you, Joanie.  I have nothing to report since I've been lazy ever since lunch. 

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS I may be late and behind again.  but i hope your dentist visit went well.
now regular ice roads is not too bad it is black ice that is the killer. either way
I hope you had a safe trip. and a great day.

Lloyd