Random Image

Winging In Through a Storm

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of January 1

Started by JoanFL, January 01, 2017, 03:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I'm so tired tonight my tongue is dragging.... and this darn FitBit is NOT giving me credit for all my steps and floors.  I know I've gone up & down to get boxes & take stuff down at least 6-8 times and it only shows one (1), so I'm not going to take all the rest of the Christmas stuff down until tomorrow when FitBit wakes up!!  Since I had put up decorations a little at a time I had not realized just how much I had dragged up  :crazy2: , but I am putting things in smaller boxes this year, quite a struggle to tote the big ones up & down.  Yes, Joan, I'll wear those demerits with honor!  Too tired tonight to make one more trip down, afraid I will trip over my tongue.   ;)

We have real winter starting tomorrow, guess not to get above freezing all week. (Thanks a bunch, Patricia).  I have errands to run so will be layered & scarf around my neck to breathe through.  Larry, I think I asked you before if your doctors told you not to go out in cold weather, (Cas' said below 40° ).  Mine never gave me any warnings (he knew me too well).... but I do try to breathe through knit or fabric scarf when below freezing.  I love cold weather & wrap up like a mummy. 

I watched Antique Roadshow while putting things in boxes.... I still have a bowl full of candy that will go to the little 'frig downstairs.  I'm going to fix a pot of beans & ham hocks/shanks tomorrow.  Need to defrost my freezer this week, that is a chore I detest.  Better get this old body to bed with all the "to-dos" to take care of tomorrow. 

Sweet dreams and God Bless.  June, I'll turn the light out if you are ready for bed.  Be glad when your leg is all better and you are back full time.   Shirley

JaneS

Wow!  It's really dark in here and I can't find the light switch so I'll just say....

Good night Everyfriend and may God bless us. every one!

OUCH!  Who left that wagon there!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

CallieOK

:banghead:  OUCH!    :loud: HEY, ANYBODY IN HERE?    :no:   

Oh, well - guess I might as well say  :sleep:   well, Everyfriend and have pleasant dreams.

Lloyd Hammond

A Harley Biker is riding by the zoo in London when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly,  the lion grabs her by  the collar of her jacket and tries to pull her inside to slaughter her, under the eyes of her screaming parents.

The biker jumps off his Harley, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and  the biker brings the girl to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.

A reporter has watched the whole event. The reporter addressing the Harley rider says, 'Sir, this was the most gallant  and bravest thing I've seen a man do in my whole life.' The Harley rider replies, Why, it was nothing, really. The lion was behind bars.  I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right.'
The reporter says, 'Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed.  I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's paper will have this story on the front page.  So, what do you do for a  living, and what political affiliation do you have?'

The biker replies "I'm a Royal Marine, and a Conservative."  The journalist leaves.

The following morning the biker buys the paper to see if it indeed brings news of his actions, and reads, on the front page:

ROYAL MARINE ASSAULTS AFRICAN IMMIGRANT AND STEALS HIS LUNCH!
...... and THAT pretty much sums up the media's approach to the news these days!

Have a great day

Lloyd

Vanilla-Jackie

GLORIA....
...you were not the only one who thought yesterday was Tuesday.....  ;D
Well starting another year with my three friends the Peripherals.....Motor - Sensory and Autonomic Neuropathies....we have become so close, I see them every day.....
" There is no present like the time "

Lloyd Hammond

Vanilla-Jackie I am up dry mouth, got it wet down so back to bed again.
Have a great day.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's poached eggs on toast to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Granny's Pie

Granny Adams made such beautiful pies. One day I asked her, "How do you get such beautiful pies with the crimps around the edge so even?"

"Well, it's a family secret," she said. "But if you promise not to tell, I'll let you in on it."

"Okay," I said. "Tell me!"

"Well, first, I roll out the dough, making sure it is flat and even. Then I cut out the bottom layer and carefully put in the pie plate and make sure it is firmly against the sides of the plate.

"Then I slowly pour in the filling, making sure it's not too full.

"Next, I cut out the top layer and carefully put it over the filling.

“Finally, I take out my teeth and just run them around the edge of the pie crust, and they make the nicest even impressions you ever did see!"

Food For Thought

Light of Hope
By Rebecca Heys
Scripture Reading: John 1:1-14

In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:4-5
In this season after Christmas, we rejoice in the fact that Jesus was born. We rejoice that God loved the world enough to send his only Son. We join our voices with the angels and the shepherds and with Christians throughout the centuries who have sung praise to God for the wonderful gift of Jesus’ birth.
John describes Jesus by talking about “the Word.” When he describes the event we celebrate at Christmas, he says, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” John talks about the great good news of Jesus’ birth, saying, “In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.”
But after sharing the good news of this light, John does not pretend that the darkness is completely gone. There is still darkness in the world. It’s not literal darkness, but the darkness of sin and despair.
The truly good news in John’s message, then, is that the light that has come into the world in Jesus is stronger than the darkness. The darkness cannot overcome the light that has come into the world in Jesus.
What wonderful hope this gives us! The light of God’s love for the world in Jesus is so strong that nothing can take away its power.
God of light, give us hope in the power of Christ, whose light is so powerful that no darkness can overcome it. Thank you for the amazing gift of Jesus’ birth. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”

~ Elvis Presley

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone

Raining out and our driveway is  skating rink. We were to go to the city today but that has been put on hold for another day.

I like the idea of making this a sewing day, haven't done that in a long time. Daughter in love sent me a photo of the quilt she had finished yesterday.She is really pleased with her new machine. We both had a giggle over my son  buying fabric for her,we could picture this big  trucker man getting bolts of fabric out to take photos of them for her approval. I must admit he does have a good eye for colour!!

Joan thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  Good thing you don't have to go out in that rain that turns to ice.  How nice that your son is willing to shop for fabric for your daughter-in-love.

JaneS

Good morning Everyfriend!  I'm sure glad someone turned on the lights this morning.  I have to make note of where that switch is in case Shirley goes to bed before I do again.  Or maybe we should have a night light?

I'll be off to Wally World this morning.  Wish me smiles!  They sure do make the day brighter and it's supposed to rain all day today!  January rainy days can be very bleak indeed.

I wish you all smiles wherever you go and whatever you do.

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  I think we should have a night light.  I wish you smiles at WM on this rainy day.  If you'd send me some of that rain, I would smile.  It's so dry here, and there are many brush fires.

phyllis

Rainy days in January are bleak, indeed!  I hope they are right that this rain should finally stop today but I hope they are wrong in that we are likely to have snow this weekend.  I'd better make sure the fridge and pantry are stocked 'cause I won't be going anywhere.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Phyllis.  All we have here is thick fog.  I know day upon day of rain and/or snow are bleak.  I guess you will be "gathering" so you won't have to go out when the weather turns bad.

JaneS

Good Morning Phyllis.  I know where this rain came from.  The weather guy on TV last nigh said that a storm was moving in from the South and when he showed the map, it was centered in NC.  That's OK because if it snowed all day today as it is supposed to rain, we'd be snowed in by 1 p.m. and I won't even be home yet at that time. 

I'll be off to do a couple of small "things" and then get ready for work.  Enjoy your day, Everyfriend!

Gloria

Good morning everyone, had rain overnight and looks a bit foggy. Above freezing so no ice. Of course it is not real day light yet.

LARRY  glad you enjoyed the time with your granddaughter.

JANE  seems like this past week those couch Zzz's have been calling me. Have actually slept in the afternoons this past week and still getting to bed early. 

JOAN will be a few hours yet before I start on those phone calls.  I sure do not like winter appointments.

HAL  odd how we can enjoy decorating for Christmas but it is work to put everything away.

PATRICIA  your weather sounds like what we had 2 years ago

JOAN  just heard on the news about tornadoes in Ala. Hope your family members are not in that area and are OK.

LLOYD  you are so right about that black ice but any icy roads are hazardous and I have driven on many of them.

SHIRLEY  there comes a time to cut back on all that Christmas decorating. I know it looks beautiful but it is a lot of work. I did nothing this year so I did not have to put anything away.

LLOYD  your story is how I feel about most of the news that is reported these days. Cannot believe any of the reporters.

JACKIE  does not take much to mess up my days any more. Like you I am starting the new year with friends I wish I never met.

JOAN  a poached egg on toast will be so good this morning. After reading Granny's Pie I rather have a pie that tastes good than looks beautiful. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  with your driveway a skating rink it is a good day to stay home.

JANE  rather have rainy days than snow days. 

PHYLLIS  I am well stocked with food. Just hope we do not lose power.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Janie--And now we know.:)

Good morning, Gloria.  It seems everyone is getting rain except FL.  One good thing about living here, we don't have to fret about bad weather for winter appointments.  My family is farther north in Alabama (Fairhope).  However, I don't know if Joe's beach house at Dauphin Island was in the tornadoes path.

Joy

Good Tuesday Morning,  Joan and all the morning friends.  Thanks, Joan, for the poached eggs this morning.  They are always a nice treat.

The days will be mixed up for a few days now.  Too long a week end.

I have been busy the past week or so and do want to wish everyone a Very Happy New Year.  Hope it is a good one for everyone.

It is a gray, dreary rainy morning here on the east coast.  At least it is above freezing, so no chance of it freezing or turning to snow.

Nothing special going on.  I only have a few Christmas decorations to put away. I am going to pack up some things that I haven't used for a long time and take them to the Good Will.  I need to really get into my walk-in closet and get rid of some clothes, also.  I have a lot of craft supplies that I know I won't be using anymore, so need to get rid of those. It will take me a while as I don't move very fast anymore. 

Our family Christmas party is this Saturday, so I will get to see some family members who I don't get to see very often.  Always nice to see how all the little ones have grown up since last year.  Santa pays a "late visit" so that is always fun to watch the little ones.  And, we do a Chinese Auction, so that is always a lot of fun and lots of laughs.  There is a bunch of artificial fruit that has been making the rounds for many years, so I am sure that will make another appearance.  It is always funny seeing the ones who end up with it trying to pawn it off on someone else. 

Have a good day.

Joy

BIG BOX

JoanFL

Good morning, Joy.  It seems many are reporting rain.  I guess it just skirts us.  Nice that you can prolong the family Christmas.  That "Chinese Auction" (called by different names in different locales) is always fun.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Joanie, we are like you, in need of rain and it seems everyone but us are getting some.  Our day is starting bright and sunny, a little on the cool side and they say a front should come through today to cool things some more but no rain........

Gloria, still have the tree to take down and box but that wont take long. I need to go to ATT store and get new battery for cell phone and get IPads switched over so wife can use her new one when no wifi.

Amy sorry to hear you are weathered in.  Hope your wood box is full and lots of coffee, tea and coco laid by.

Janie,  :)  just one of many I wish for you today.

Coffee is ready, so who wants a cup?

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  It's still overcast here, but the fog has lifted.  I'll have a cup of coffee with you.

June Drabek

I'm here !!! Lot's  of catch up. Now my house keeper has arrived so I have o to close down..darn.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

June Drabek

back again. The good news is I will  go home tomorrow or even today. The I.V. gizmo has been removed, just a matter of getting a release from something..I forget what they called it. Had a blood test this morning so they may be awaiting the results of that.

Another delay, I had a visit from three different doggies. One gave me a nice nose kiss. It is a program from our local shelter, and they visit us once a week...tour all our buildings.Great therapy for those who love dogs.

Next on our schedule is lunch. Food is great, but too much. No appetite when one is a bed-bug.

The usage of the lap top has been a life saver, thanks to my kids. Enjoy the day my dear ones. I love you all SO much. June

JoanFL

June--It is SO GOOD to see you posting.  I am sure you are glad to be going home. How nice you has a visit from some therapy dogs.  For sure your family is generous to get you that laptop

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Yay!  There's our June!  Hope your home-going has proceeded smoothly.

The temperature dropped about 30 degrees overnight.  When I left for the hairdresser's shortly before 10:00 a.m., the flag at the entrance indicated a southwest wind.   When I came home an hour and a half later, it was blowing straight out of the northwest and the temperature is continuing to drop. 

I'm "in for the duration" ......or the next day the sun shines and it's warm, whichever comes first.

Hope Everyfriend Everywhere is having an Enjoyable Day.

JeanneP

I have 2 packages here waiting to be mailed since last Saturday. Storm just will not let up. Temps not bad 43 deg. but it doesn't stop one getting soaked. So will hold until tomorrow. Hope it quits.  seems like down South it is bad also. So much for Winter
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

JUNEDRABEK....
...not been the best start to your New Year but.....it is the way forward.....and its onward and upward from this day on....
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

Good morning from a still snowed in Interior. It is still warm with occasional snow but no new accumulation.

The power company and the city garage have been outstanding in keeping the power back on and the roads, including hillsides and ridges clear and passable. It helped that the wind gust kept the snow off the trees and we only lost a few early on with the original outages.

There were only two deaths attributed to the storm. One was a teenage girl walking along a rural road and the other in an intersection shoulder crash. The girl was walking down the center of the road, and a car behind witnessed the first car trying and failing on icy roads to take evasive action.

I will need to shop for groceries and pay some bills either today or tomorrow as I have been putting it off in favor of hanging out at home redoing my apartment and getting rid of as much as possible. It has been an ongoing job.

Larry, hopefully, having his daughter around will help Scott in many ways as much as he has helped you and Pat. Having family close is always nice.

Everyone, please stay warm, safe and happy!

Amy

Well, so much for staying home. Hubby wanted to get his hair cut and we headed in to the city, roads were good though so I can't complain.

Hal, I  have a well stocked pantry so  lots of hot drinks,including hot apple cider.

Jane, if you see a 6' fella in your check out with fabric ,that could be my son..

June, so nice to see you posting...

Going to get in my night clothes and relax..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

I've only gotten a few things to the basement storage 'cause I've spent the whole day in panic mode.  I got my notice to renew driver's license before the holidays.... so I put it where it couldn't be lost in the holiday mess.  No telling where I put it but I've gone through every nook and cranny, every drawer & file 13 ever used... no trace of it.  After all the cleaning (I even sorted & stacked up all utility bills to store for 2016), I've run out of options so... I called the license bureau.... it's just a short distance from where I live & all I need to take is my old license plus a utility bill or some official notice with address on it and plenty of money.  I will do that tomorrow.  I also got my renewal for the conceal carry permit but that is due in May.  Son said one of his friends said it took about 90 days to get his back!  Half of KS people have a conceal carry permit these days so the people in the offices have a lot of paper work to handle. 

Lloyd, funny-funny... but SO TRUE!

We are another dry spot.  Had the fog & mist but that doesn't help the trees & grass.  I seriously considered turning the sprinklers on yesterday but didn't.  It will be too cold to run them for the next week & afraid I will lose some of my plants.  The wind chill is nasty.... will go straight through anything but nylon so have to pile on layers.  Hang in there..... in a few months we will be cheering on the early booming flowers!

June Drabek

Just learned more about my problem. It is mersa,a staph inion, resistant to many drugs.
So consider my self very fortunate to have had it caught early in the game. I am all ready to be returned to my apt. but it may not happen till tomorrow. One of those things.

Had a call from Gary. They were at Ontario Airport waiting for their flight to Boise, Ida. where they will spend the night then rent a car to drive to McCall.I hope they will have a wonderful two weeks in Mc Call.Time now for a walk in the hall to vent my frustrations......