Random Image

Pat with bus

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpiner1

SCFSue   I was a bit on the chunky side & could even lose a bit more .

jane

Hot Thursday morning greetings.  We have heat advisories until Saturday night, so not much going on with us outside.  I did walk a bit this morning,, so now icing the knee I twisted the morning we left on our west coast trip.  It held up pretty well on the walk, though.

Bridge was up and down, and I ended up 3rd out of 10, so better than some weeks.  None next week since Wed. is the 4th of July and the next Wed. we'll be headed to Ohio for a few days visit with my sister.

Stay cool and safe!

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've had breakfast, cleaned the kitchen, and am showered and dressed, waiting for Tim.  We are going to a new place not far from my house for a mammogram.  I need to send a letter to my oncologist in Montgomery.  I can't drive down there anymore and Tim really doesn't have the time to take me down there and endure the long wait.  It's very busy at that clinic.

It's HOT as usual for the summer here.  Since I'm not going to be home until after lunch and Kroger shopping, I won't work outside today.  Yesterday when I did work outside in the morning, I was bitten by something and had to take an allergy pill to stop the itching.  This morning, my arm is back to normal, so that's good.

I've lost weight since my fall, but my body has reshaped its self and my tummy is way too poochy.  I know I should be doing situps, but I have been putting it off.  When I put on my favorite pair of shorts this morning, they were snug around my middle. 

I didn't go to bridge yesterday as I couldn't get it in with my other activities.  Libba subbed for me, so that was good.  Bridge at the retirement center on Tuesday was OK, but it was a bit too warm in the room where we ate lunch and then played bridge.  And I didn't have much in the way of cards except in one round.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.  Stay out of the heat if you can.
Sue

Marilyn

God Morning Ladies. I've been out to walk the dog. Next on the adgenda is to go to the hospital for the diabetic testing that goes on once a month. I am pre Diabetic and I think Keith ,ay be more than pre. So I insisted to taking him to the test.  I Have been watching what I eat and have a  handout that Igot at the monthly meeting with the foods and amounts. that are wise to eat. I've been reading label to find out the serving size and following that too.

Did I tell you that w e are booked for the Pono Ka'i resort next year. I am so looking forwars to that trip. I just hope that Keith is in condition to go as well, I don't want to cancel.

SharonE

Hi Gals.  Super hot here too--supposed to be in the 90's for the next week with about a 20-30% rain chance. We had a lot of thunder and rumbling last evening and even a little lightening but very little rain.

I'm going to the grocery in a bit. Ugh!  Nothing else planned.

Jane, have a wonderful trip to your sister's over the 4th.  Safe drive.  John will be flying to IA the 22nd, I think, to visit his sister. His younger sister who just lost her husband will be driving down with her son at the same time, so that will be nice for Millie.

Most everyone must be hibernating in this heat.  Sue, hope the big squeeze goes well. It's always stressful at a new place.

Marilyn, you are wise to watch your diets if you are pre-diabetic.  Wonderful trip planned.  Hope you got insurance though.

TTYL, Sharon

jane

Sharon...nice John can fly up and see things for himself with his sisters.  We're not going to Ohio until July 11...a week after the 4th.  It's the best time to see the niece Lori, her children, and Melanie's children...and their little munchkins...that'll be 5 age 6 and under!!  Last year my BIL and sister arranged for them all to meet us at a restaurant near where they all live, and that worked out beautifully ....so I"m hoping that's what can happen again this year. 

Marilyn...good idea to go while you can still manage Keith and he can appreciate the trip and endure the long airplane ride.  I'm so glad we did our extensive travel when we were younger. 

jane

maryz

Marilyn, I hope the doctor visits all go well.  I agree with Sharon - booking a trip this far ahead, I'd definitely get the trip insurance.  We had two trips scheduled the year John died.  I had insurance on one and got all the money back - not on the other one.  I did get a partial refund, though.  In any case, you'll love Kauai - it is gorgeous!

jane, it sounds like you didn't get much spring, either.  Guess that was pretty much true everywhere.  Your trip in a couple of weeks sounds like a good one.

Sharon, glad John is getting up to visit his sister - important for all concerned.  As is your visit to Melanie's family.

Sue, hope the mammogram goes well.

alpiner, I'd love to lose some weight, too - but I'll pass on your method (as I'm sure you would have, too).  ;)

Lazy Thursday - cleaning day for me.  The gal came about 8:30, so she finished quickly.  It's been cloudy all day so far.  The thunder and lightning started about 11, and the rain about 11:20.  By noon when I got back from lunch, we had had another 2" of rain.  Sometimes these little storms pass over, and sometimes it just pours.  At least my flowers are loving it.

Stay cool and dry, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Mary, so far, we have sunny skies, but who knows what the eveing will bring.  I did get the grocery shopping done and am now just vegging.  Isn't it nice to have a lovely clean house and not have to do it yourself?   :D Sharon

SCFSue

I was talking to my sister Anne on the phone when we had a horrible gully washer--thunder, lightning, and electricity stopped!  We'd hung up just as it started raining, so she didn't know how bad it hit here.  My electricity was out for about 45 minutes, so the power company must have been on their toes!

I had started reading one of my new library books and hope to read more after the news and any TV programs I might want to watch.

We're still getting some loud thunder, so I'm going to get off the computer.
Have a nice evening, Every Buddy.
Sue

Marilyn

Trip insurance? All I did was spend the $20. to book the week at the resort. I haven't  scheduled any flights yet and wilol nwait until60 days before the trip to do that  in order to get the lowest possible prices for the airline. I can cancel the reservation  up to  30 days ahead of the arrival date.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's very hot and humid here.  I've been out and pulled one trug of wet weeds, but I'm not going to do any more today.  I'll try to get up and have breakfast early again tomorrow and pull weeds while it's still shady out there.

I have to contact my oncologist down in Montgomery to tell him that I'm going to use one up here.  It's almost an hour down to Montgomery in heavy traffic and when I get there I have to wait for my blood test--with about 30 others who are waiting, then wait again in a waiting room to be called into the onc's office and then probably 20 minutes more until he gets to me.  He takes his time with each of his patients--and I'm glad he's always done that for me, but it is frustrating to wait that long for anything!

Good for you, Marilyn, to book ahead.  Being out $20 is not bad if it gets you a reservation that far ahead. 

Sharon, woo hoo on being able to veg out yesterday.  I hope the rest has done plenty of good!  As far as the big squeeze goes, I haven't heard anything yet.  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  It's been so long since my cancer, that I think I'm probably still OK.  I'm assuming the new clinic will send the results to my GP and I'll hear from his office.

Jane, you're wise to wait until well after the 4th for your trip.  Traffic should be less and that is always a good thing.  Although, I'm sure travel anywhere during the summer is pretty huge.

Mary, my cleaning ladies are scheduled to come next Tuesday (July 3rd,) but I wouldn't be surprised to get a phone call from them asking for Monday sometime if they can work it in.  I have a dental appointment at noon on the 3rd, which is a change from the time I was given when I had the last 6 month one.  I hope I can find someone to take me down there!

I'm hoping to spend the rest of this (soon to be) very hot day inside.  I've finished the first one of the library books I picked up yesterday and will start another after lunch.

Have a nice day, Buddies, and stay out of the heat!
Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals, Marilyn, I agree that $20 doesn't require insurance, but your flight should and if your final payment on the TS is large enough, insure it too. At our ages, one never knows what is going to happen and especially with K's health.

Sue, you are so good about getting your weeding in.  There's some to do in our gardens too, but unless John does it, it won't get done. I simply can't get down. My replaced knee is okay but the other one isn't.  Enjoy your book.

I've finished filling out an extensive questionnaire for the new arthritis dr. It is all single spaced, so difficult for me to squeeze it in.  Most Dr's email the forms so you can fill them out on line, but this one said that that wasn't secure, so they snail mail the forms!

I spent some time with my neighbors on their patio last night. Boy, was it humid!  Anyway, Frank agreed to drive me to the airport in August as John can't.

I got an email from my sil in Tallahassee this morning and she has decided to go ahead and go to CO, leaving this Sun!  She is 87 and had a hysterectomy earlier this spring!  She has strong genes!

No rain last night, just lots of 90's forecast.   Hi to all. Stay cool!  I think Marilyn is the only one with decent temps!  Sharon

s

SCFSue

A late good morning, Buddies.  It's already 11:30 and almost time to fix lunch.  I didn't get up this morning until 8:30 and piddled around eating my breakfast, so by the time I did get some work clothes on, it was already hot out there.  I did manage to pull a trug full of weeds, but that will be it for today.  It's just too hot out there, unless we get a shower this afternoon--if it's a short one, I might go out and work in one of my flower beds.  The big word is "MIGHT"!

Sharon, it's really humid here, too, this morning.  I did stay outside long enough to pull the one trug of weeds, but that's it for me today.  I have library books to entertain me and will check out TCM and Hallmark to see if they are showing movies I haven't seen for a while.

We did have rain a couple of days ago and my backyard is needing a good mowing again, but I'm not up for it this morning.  Maybe later when the shade is out there.

I have several library books I can read, so will probably choose one and do that.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

maryz

Nothing going on around here today.  Weather is hot and humid (after all, it's summer in the South).

I'm still basking in the glow of duplicate yesterday.  We had 7 tables, and my partner and I came in FIRST of the north/south pairs.  That's a first for us, and we'll enjoy it for a while!

Happy Saturday, y'all.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyn

Sharon There is no final payment on the time share, on the 23.00 hotel tax that we pay when we get there. 
I had my nails done today with the gel polish. I really like the Gel polish. I had my nails done before our trip to Sunriver and then  today. I only went because on nail had staryed to nlife and I cut  off all that was lifting so I wouldn't get any fungus under the  nail.

jane

Heat Warnings continue here.  Very humid, so not ice outside. Glad I did a short walk before 8:00am.

I watched World Cup soccer today and read as well. 

Ray’s bringing steak home from the Legion Steak Fry. 

Jane

jane

Hot and humid Sunday Greetings, Babes!

Laundry going as today is to be the coolest day of the week.

Lots of storms overnight and we needed the rain with this intense heat.

Tomorrow I have an eye appt at the Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and hope that's all good.

jane

SharonE

Whoo Hoo, Mary!! That's super.  You have a right to crow! That's hard to do in duplicate play.

Marilyn, that's great about the TS cost. Ours was always more.

Jane, how nice to have Ray bring in dinner!  It is still very hot here, but we went to SS & church and I've done a load of laundry and had lunch. I hope your eye appt. results are good.

I have some fresh peaches I'm going to peel and fix and put over ice cream tonight for dessert.  I also have a chicken, noodle casserole to make. John liked it the last time I made it, so will see if I can replicate it today.

If I have time, I'm going to type up the church news for the month. The newsletter came out today, so I know what I need to send in. If I don't get it done today, I will definitely do it tomorrow due to newspaper deadlines.

Sue, be careful in this heat!  Stay in and read!    Sharon

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies....had kids since Thursday...so am tired today...the heat doesn't help.....Jane good luck with ur eye appt...One of my sons 57 has had a detached retina in both eyes....been through several surgeries...but slowly losing his sight..if you are any one reading know of any success story's on retina detachment...would love to know....he has great ins and would be willing to go anywhere...anyway...asking prayers for him...his name is Randy....going to my daughters for the 4th...then my gdaughter wedding the next week....so wishing everyone a happy safe holiday...Darlene

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's hot and humid here after another big rain last night.  I've been outside and have cleaned up one of my flower beds, but have decided that's enough for now.  I need to take another shower as I am simply drenched from the little bit I took care of out there.  I'm expecting Tim shortly, so will shower again after he helps me with paper work and leaves.

Mary, woo hoo on the big win!  That's quite an accomplishment--and I know you were happy that you had good cards and played them well.  Is it overcast and rainy up your way?  I'm very tired of that down here!

Marilyn, it sounds like you had a good time at Sun River and are happy with the new Gel Polish.  Are you working with your dog and others this week?

Jane, it's hot and humid here also.  I hope your eye appointment goes well.  I have laundry going now, too, and hope to get one more load done sometime today.  Keep up posted about the eye appointment.

Darlene, I'm so sorry to hear about Randy's eye problems and have added him to my prayer list.  I know you'll enjoy the 4th with your daughters and also the upcoming wedding.  Keep us posted about Randy.

Hello to other Buddies looking in today.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

Marilyn

Sue, Yes Freckles and I are working this week. On the 4th we are going to the shindig at the park that the Fire dept does every 4th. Our group will be doing a meet and greet for the public to meet our dogs. Then on the 5th I am going to the hospital to visit patients with another team. 4 teams go to the hospital and we divide go 2 teams to  two floors and 2 to the Psyche unit and the 2 nd floor.  Tomorrow the 3rd is my appoinment with the Ortho about my right knee.

maryz

Marilyn, let us know what happens with the orthopedist and your knee.  Ouch!

Sue, be careful out in that heat.  Usually the late afternoon is the hottest, even in the shade.  That's a good time to stay in the a/c and read.

Sharon, glad your "new" knee is doing well.  I have no problems with mine, either.

jane, hope you don't get any flooding in your area or your travels.  The heat in the midwest is really brutal - since y'all aren't used to it.  We just crank up the a/c and stay inside down here.

Nothing going on here.  I went to the pool this morning.  We finally have a Mon/Fri teacher, and she is a good one.  I hope we keep her for a while.  And then, duplicate this evening.  That's pretty much all the excitement for me until Friday swimming and Kate & Jean coming to pick me up to head to the beach on Saturday.

Stay cool and safe for the 4th, Buddies!

SharonE

Hi Gals.  I just got back from the FC and did my thing.  It is so hard to persuade myself to go, even though I know I need to.  I go to see the arthritis dr. tomorrow and that is pretty much my excitemet for the week. John's playing bridge the 4th and though there are lots of activities here, they really don't appeal to me.  Friday night, one of the women in the SS class is having several of us over for dinner to celebrate the birthday of the man who lost his wife and son in the past year.

Mary, I hope you can place as high this week as last!  Have fun at the beach with the girls.

Marilyn, it sounds like you have a full schedule for this week.  I hope you don't need a TKR, just a shot or something.

Darlene, have a good time with your daughters and the wedding. I'm so sorry to hear about Randy's eyes. Has he gone to the big Houston hospital for another opinion? I think I heard about a neighbor's husband having that when we first moved here but don't know any details. I'lll try to find out.
Sharon

Cottoncandy

Sharon...appreciate if you can find out info for me...if it would help him..he could go to Houston...thx. Darlene

jane

Darlene....Lots of good eye docs in Houston, or perhaps at U of Tx medical facility...wherever that is...Dallas area, maybe?

Do a search for retina detachment....sure to be lots of info out there.

My eye appt went well....no problems....cataracts still two years or so out until ready.  Still have 20-20 with my glasses, so can't complain.  Doc was upset about all the eye accidents they saw over weekend due to Iowa Legislature's stupid decision to allow fireworks in the state.  He said teenage boys....3 very, very serious and lots of others more minor to eyes and some to hands. 

Hot here...I've gotten our license tags so we're ok there...and we got our new Medicare cards, so I had those laminated at the bank.  It saves on their wear and tear, we found with old ones.

jane

Marilyn

Got my knee xrayed today and a cortisone shot, They will be calling me to arrange for the MRI. The Dr. said I have arthritis in both knees and he  couldn't see any other damge, but he did get to see how much it hurt me to  stand from a sitting position and  I can't do stairs without pain. He also told me to use the Voltaren gel  for the pain. I have a full tube that never got used so i don't need a script for that. Monday is my Mammo.

maryz

Marilyn, knees are just awful things!  I hope you can work with that.  My daughter, Kate, has a frriend who is using CBD oil (cannabinoid ?) for arthritis pain, and I have a friend here who has just started it as a trial.
Is that something you can get in OR?  or might want to try?  It's not cheap, I understand.  I'm waiting to see how my friend does, and I'm going to ask my doc about it.  It's available at health-food stores locally.

jane, I hope you get some relief from the heat before too much longer.  Us, too, - it was 94 here today, and to be about 95 tomorrow. 

All quiet here - I don't even hear any fireworks yet.

Marilyn

I can get it here. Or order it too.

alpiner1

I saw my cancer dr. last week & I told her I didn't think I needed an ultra sound of my abdomen . She suggested it when I was taking a pill that caused heart burn etc .  We agreed , no ultra sound . This morning I got a call about setting up an appt. for it .  My stomach is doing good & I know which foods trigger heart burn , so I avoid them . I'm feeling so much better since I stopped taking that pill !

maryz

alpiner, so glad things are working out for you.  Congrats, too, on refusing the testing.  :thumbup:

Marilyn, let us know how it works, if you decide to try it.

Darlene, I agree, there should be top-notch treatment in the Houston area.  Keep us posted on how your son does.
We never stop worrying about our kids, do we!

jane, are you getting storms? or just more of the hot weather.

I know Sue and Sharon are, like me, staying in the a/c in this weather.  It's predicted to be 95 here today.  We're having "cook-out" food served today (hamburgers/corn on the cob for lunch; hot dogs/baked beans/cole slaw for supper, and watermelon all day), but all prepared and served indoors.  :)  So far this morning, I've slept until daylight, read the paper, worked some puzzles, watered the outside plants (no rain for several days), dozed a bit, and showered.  All before 10 a.m.  Aren't I productive?!  I'll probably knit and watch the NCIS marathon this afternoon.

Happy July Fourth, Buddies!!!