Random Image

Main Street - 3

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

I checked out Donna Leon's The Temptation of Forgiveness.  She is an author I really enjoy but somehow, I just can't get into this one.  I've tried several times and even renewed it once but find I pick it up and then put it down.  I may just give up.  I'm still waiting (on a very long list) for her latest book, "Unto Us a Son is Given".  I hope when I finally get it that I will be ready to enjoy her again.

I'm glad you like the Phillip Craig books.  I'm sorry that he is gone and we will have no more new books from him.

I will have to find some new-to-me books(authors) soon.  I panic when I don't have a book to read.  I've been watching too much tv, I think.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

I've been taking a "Spring Break" from reading, for the past week.  Lots of stuff going on around here, plus our older daughter and granddaughter came to visit for a few days.  They just left this morning, but daughter #2, is coming over to do her laundry and will stay for dinner. Things won't be getting back to their usual slow pace, until tomorrow, when I plan to go to the library and get a whole new stack of books. 

Callie - did you ever get the Joe R. Lansdale book, Driving to Geronimo's Grave?  As I mentioned before, it's the first book of short stories that I've read in a long time, and I really did enjoy the change of pace, from a standard novel.  There are six stories in the book, and I read five of them. Only one, I couldn't get into, and finally skipped. When I go to the library, I plan to look for any novels by Lansdale, and see how I like them.  I found out that he is a friend of Larry McMurtry.  His writing style is similar to McMurtry's. 

Tomereader1

I just wanted to say that, for some reason, I have not been getting my S&F notifications.  Coming in here tonight, I found that it was back in February when I had my last notifications. 
A Book that I read with my f2f book club, "Destiny of the Republic" by Candace Millard.  It is non-fiction, but it was terrifically received by our group.  So very much was going on at time in history, that a lot of us never knew about.  They just don't teach history well anymore!  If you can get the book, do so, I think you will be delighted with all the information, and it is very well written.  (P.S.)  Hi, Marilyne!  Have you missed me?

Marilyne

Tome - So good to see you checking in here!  I don't think the S&F notifications work anymore, since our upgrade?  I remember that members were having a terrible time, with hundreds of notifications coming in at once. I'll check with someone, and find out if that problem has been fixed? 

I hope that you're doing well?  I know it's been a very hard year for you. I do think of you often, but seems like I don't do so well with correspondence any more! I'll try to do better.  :)

CallieOK

Marilyne,   The library doesn't have "Driving To Geronimo's Grave" but I've put another book by the same author on my Wish List.  Title is "Jack Rabbit Smle" and the blurb reads:  

Hap and Leonard are an unlikely pair—Hap, a self-proclaimed white trash rebel, and Leonard, a tough-as-nails black gay Vietnam vet and Republican—but they're the closest friend either of them has in the world. Hap is celebrating his wedding to his longtime girlfriend, and his and Leonard's PI boss, Brett, when their backyard barbecue is interrupted by a couple of Pentecostal white supremacists. They're not too happy to see Leonard, and no one is happy to see them, but they have a problem and only Hap and Leonard will take the case.

Not much reading time this week and have been trying to finish a couple of others - so haven't actually checked it out, yet.

Also - a neighbor brought me four "real" books, one of which is a bio of Hedy Lamar.  Really looks interesting.

As we all say,  "So many books...so little time.

Hi, Tome:)

MarsGal

I think I have my March books pretty well taken care of. Spook went back to the library unread until later. I still have it on my wish list. The book about the Mary Celeste is going back too, maybe for later; I read into the first chapter and decided it and Spook were not what I needed for my challenge list. I finally found and read a book about haunted places in Pennsylvania. There were some interesting sightings, but many were missed. There were two sites in Bethlehem that I never heard about when I lived there, and one at Bube's Brewery, in Mt. Joy. The brewery is a popular brewery/restaurant complex which holds plenty of themed "feasts" and some Murder/Mystery dinners throughout the year. I was never there, but my sister was. She remembers the ghost story but never saw anything.

A History of the First Bulgarian Empire also went back to the library, but I found an online version to finish reading. The online version has annotations and maps as I read or at the end of each chaper, whereas the book did not have maps, the footnotes were tiny, and the appendixes, which were mentioned frequently, were in the back of the book. Anyway, the upshot is I can read it at my leisure now. Meanwhile, I am continuing Shadow of the Silk Road and am about to cross over into Afghanistan. Also, I've been watching some YouTube presentations of the ancient Thracian and Dacian cultures. Last night I watched a National Geographic presentation on Romanian (Dacian) history which spent some time on Trajan's war with the Dacians culminating in Trajan's victories and his war commemorative, Trajan's Column.

Next up on my challenge list will be something to do with wine or wine country. I chose, The Merlot Murders by Ellen Crosby for my fiction title and I have a non-fiction book about wine here on my cookbook shelf. In a few days, I will be able to download another book from my Prime Lending Library which will be the next installment of the Expeditionary Force series, Paradise

CallieOK

The book on Hedy Lamar is "Only Woman In The Room" by Marie Benedict.  It's biographical fiction.Not too sure I'm liking the first person narrative but at least she didn't write it in present tense.  :) 

Marilyne

MarsGal - "The Merlot Murders", sounds pretty good.  I looked it up and see that it's one of a series called,  The Wine Country Mysteries.  Another one I saw listed, was The "Chardonnay Charade".  :D  I don't know whether they are considered cozy's, or not?

Callie - I'd like to read the book about Hedy Lamar.  It should be very interesting.  She apparently, was a brilliant women, and is noted for much more than just being a beautiful movie star.  Keep us posted on how you like the book?

I didn't go to the library myself, but AJ went, and brought back a stack of books by Joe R. Lansdale.  I had asked him to check and see what was there, and he got carried away with all the titles, so decided to check them all out. I enjoyed Lansdale's book of short stories very much, but I don't think I want to read six books by him!  I'll pick one, and take the rest back this week.  The one you mentioned, "Jack Rabbit Smile", is not one of the ones he brought home.

MarsGal

I'm guessing the Wine Country Mystery series is considered a cozy. Anyway, when I put it on my wishlist not more than a five days ago, I could have borrowed it right then. As it is, I had to put it on hold yesterday. Oh, well. In the meantime, I found a short book on Pennsylvania wines that I am reading instead of the much longer and involved book I have on my shelf. I had no idea that PA wines were such big business at one time. I don't know where PA stands in production now, but in 1850 it was #3 behind CA (naturally) and Ohio. Mostly I just knew about CA and NY wines, until about 30 years ago when small vineyards started popping up here and I started seeing regional wines from other states being offered.

CallieOK

Marsgal,  here are links to wineries in Oklahoma.  It's a growing business especially considering that Oklahoma has been a restrictive "dry" state until recently.
Wine has only been available in grocery stores for about the past 6 months. 

Oklahoma wineries

Wineries near Oklahoma City

MarsGal

Have you tried any of the local wines yet, Callie? I love "Put A Cork In It". I have at least one overly verbose friend I'd love to give that to. I've tried one or two around here, but I pretty much stick to Tawny Port, Cream Sherry, or Bully HIll's Banty Red. I've never been up to the Bully Hill winery but I see from their website they've added some things, like the restaurant and the Walter S. Taylor Art Gallery. There is a story behind Mr. Taylor's label designs, especially the Love My Goat series. Here is the official version of the Bully Hill saga. It is pretty close to what I had heard, but I didn't know it was Coca Cola that bought it. I was told it was a big CA winery that bought it.  https://www.bullyhillvineyards.com/about/heritage/   

CallieOK

MarsGal,   I don't drink wine.  Over the years, many friends have insisted I could like it if I tried the right kind.  Well.....I've tried their choices and have been to wine tasting events in California, France, Italy, Germany and upper New York state (where I had "ice wine")   It all tastes like medicine.
Agreed on conclusion:  I have weird taste buds.   (I'm probably the only person in the southwestern USA that doesn't like Mexican food, either.)

I've just finished the latest book in The Darling Dahlias series.  Light-hearted mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert about a group of Garden Club ladies in a small Alabama town in 1934.

Ironing is stacking up so I must resist reading until that chore is done.  <sigh>

Marilyne

Good morning book lovers! 
Callie - I used to enjoy a glass of wine, up until about ten years ago.  Now I can no longer tolerate alcohol of any kind . . . it really messes with my unpredictable digestive system! ::) My husband drinks one glass of red wine every night between 5:00 and 6:00, while he's watching the wrap-up of the day's news.  It would be nice to have something to blunt the daily onslaught of bad news stories.  Usually I just get up and leave the room, if there's a story that I can't tolerate. 

I also love the name of the winery, Put a Cork In It!   Whoever came up with that name, has a great sense of humor.  I think I'll look into the Wine Country Mystery Series, and also the Garden Club Mysteries.  I do enjoy reading a cozy, when I need something fast paced, with an unlikely, but humorous story.  The characters are always interesting and different.

maryc

Good morning friends of the library bookshelf.  I have been reading all the while and scanning the posts for suggestions on new authors.  I just finished a little series of four books called The Shenandoah Sisters.  Debby had read the first book a while back and recommended it.  When I read number one, I discovered that the next three were available on Hoopla so that was easy.  This story almost felt like a  book for young readers but was easy and interesting with some history of the post Civil War era.  I've had a bit of trouble with my Hoopla app so activated the Overdrive app this morning.  First thing I found there was another book by Sara Gruen (Water for Elephants).  This title is At the Water's Edge.  I'll get back to you if I like it!  :)
The sun is shining this morning on yesterdays snowfall and the weather folks are predicting a seasonable week coming for us.  The spring cleanup is on and I picked up a couple bundles of sticks when I went out for the papers this morning.  I'll follow Al's model in that.  He would always stop on his way to or from the mail or paper and pick up a few fallen branches and he always had it  pretty well taken care of. 
PS...Just read Marilyne and Callies' posts.    I always enjoyed a glass of light wine but as Marilyne said it doesn't always agree with my finicky digestive system so am careful these days. ::)
Mary C

MarsGal

A lot of the wine companies put additives into their wine. Why, I don't know unless it has something to do with wine that isn't aged long enough before bottling to keep it from turning. A local winery we used to buy from in the Bethlehem area sold a lovely Ravat, but you couldn't keep it long or it went to vinegar. If I think of it later, I will look it up or ask Ginny over on SeniorLearn. She has a vineyard. Some people are allergic to the sulfates they add in. I've had a few wines that make me sneeze or, like some beers, make my nose stuffy. At any rate, wine and beer are two of the things I gave up to save money when I retired. In fact, the six pack I bought two weeks ago is the first in maybe five years or so.

I see I have a new neighbor. A groundhog.

The Merlot Mystery is in audio book form and is now ready for me to listen to.

A cozy mystery I read several years ago was a series centering around real estate agent. I liked it but never got around to reading more. Now I don't remember the book title or author.

Hi MaryC   :wave:

FlaJean

Callie, the latest book The Darling Dahlias and the Poinsettia Puzzle was one of my favorites.  Loved the ending and relieved that Elizabeth's boss finally saw the light.

Hi, Mary!

CallieOK

Jean, me,too.  Perfect ending.  I was so afraid she'd go with the other guy amd he'd turn out to be Cupcake's father.

MaryTX

Good morning everyone.  My eyes have been bothering me the last couple of weeks along with this stupid cold/cough I can't seem to shake so my reading and the computer have suffered also. 

I did finish Susan Mallery's California Girls .  It was good but typical.  I started reading her books several years ago with her Fool's Gold series.

A friend brought me one of my favorite author Susan Wittig Albert's latest books, "Queen Anne's Lace" in her China Bayles mystery series.  I'm looking forward to starting it.

I do have very eclectic reading tastes :) .  I even read cereal boxes :) .

Have a good week.

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

MarsGal

I just finished rereading Null-ABC by John Joseph McGuire and H. Beam Piper. I think some of you might like it even though it is a SciFi. Published way back in 1953, in three parts, it is a future history. Elections are coming up and schemes to win the election abound. There are three major "parties", the Literates which is split between two factions and the Illiterates. Spys and plots, secret activities at the high school, and a battle at a big department store are included in the run up to the elections. Project Gutenberg free offering http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18346  Amazon also offers the Kindle Ebook for free. I am sure other sites have a free version too.

Marilyne

Happy Wednesday to all my bookie friends! :)  I've been neglecting my reading lately, but hope to get back to my normal routine, starting today.

MaryTX - Good to see you back with us again.  Your two selections, California Girls, and Queen Anne's Lace, both sound good. After all these years, I've finally started keeping a list of all book suggestions from those who post in this folder. I have the list on my desk top, so can refer to it before I go to the library. 

Maryc - I'll also add the books you mentioned in the Shenandoah Sisters, series.  I like any novels that take place during the Civil War era.  I'm pretty sure that I read At The Waters Edge, and that I was disappointed in it?  I really liked Water For Elephants, and was anxious to read anything else by Sara Gruen.  As often happens, I felt that her next book fell short, was not nearly as good. It could have been a different title though . . .  it was a couple of years ago?

I also have The Garden Club Mysteries, and The Wine Country Mysteries, on my new list. 

MarsGal - I think it's the white wines that have additives, like nitrates? Whatever they add, it doesn't agree with me. The red wines are supposed to be much healthier for older people to drink, but they're way too acidic for me. I do like to drink a glass of champagne, at a wedding, or a special occasion of some sort, but those times are now few and far between.

maryc

I just finished At the Water's Edge and enjoyed the story.Marilyn,I too thought that I had read it earlier but found that it was new to me.  I had read several of Sara Gruen's books after Water for Elephants but had missed this one.
       There was another book that was being promoted on the Overdrive site called Homes. At first I shied away from it for whatever reason.  Then decided to give it a try.  So far it is interesting and different from my usual choice.  The main character is a teen age Muslim boy who lived in Iraq. When their lives are threatened the family fled to Syria and at this point in the story the father is exploring where they might be able to move on for a peaceful life.  I am reminded again how lucky I am to live in peace!
Mary C

Marilyne

Mary, I looked up At the Water's Edge, and see that I did read it. (the Loch Ness Monster!). I remember recommending it to you at the time, because it took place in Scotland.  I did like it, but was disappointed that it wasn't close to being as good as Water For Elephants. I think we set a high bar for an author, if we're especially enthusiastic about their first book. I think I'm
probably too critical?

Callie, I took the big stack of Joe R Lansdale books back to the library. Just too overwhelming, to think of reading more than one.  I kept Edge of Dark Water, so will see how I like that one.  How did you like the "Hap and Leonard" series novel that you started?

I have other books here as well . . . one being the new Jodi Picoult, best seller, A Spark of Light.  I'm not a big fan of her novels, but I saw this on the New Book Shelf, at the library, so decided to give her another look.

FlaJean

I'm reading The Tale Tellers by Anne Hillerman.  I had preordered it from Amazon for my Kindle app and it came in today.  I'm a couple of chapters into it and enjoying the fact that Lt. Leaphorn is featured more.  I love reading about that area of the US but don't think I could live in such a barren land.  The Wine Country murders sound interesting.

FlaJean

"The Tale Tellers".  It was good and centered on the main characters of Lt. Leaphorn, Bernie and Chee.  It started a little slow but sure had plenty of action before it was ended.  This is the 5th of daughter Anne's books and I bought them for my Kindle app.

Marilyne

Jean - I also liked the two "Leaphorn" books that I read.  Mine were the earlier ones, by Tony H.  I think I mentioned that there are very few Hillerman books in my county library system.  I don't know why, as the series is still very popular, but I think it's probably because the books have worn out or been lost over the years, and never replaced. Most people read from their Kindle's or iPad's now, so I don't think the libraries are interested in replacing older hard or soft cover books that become damaged or lost.

Callie - I'm wondering if you liked the "Hap and Leonard" book?  I reading a novel by Lansdale, titled Edge of Dark Water, and I really like it. In fact last night I couldn't sleep, so got up and read a couple of chapters.  It's a murder mystery, that takes place in East Texas, during the late Depression years.  Not usually the style of book that I prefer, but the characters in Lansdale's stories, are so  likable, that you want to read more.   The reviews I read on line for this novel, are all very good.  The NY Times review called the book, a cross between Huckleberry Finn and Deliverance.   

MaryTX

Hi everyone.

I picked up The Tale Tellers at the library yesterday, read it in one sitting! It took me until midnite :). I agree it started a bit slow but finished with a bang. I have read all of her Dad's books and her books are nearly identical to his.

Mary   

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

CallieOK

Marilyne,  sorry to be so slow in replying to your question.  It's been "one of those weeks"!
 I did not like the "Hap and Leonard" book and won't be getting any more by that author.  I just don't like his writing style.

I'm currently reading "The Butterfly's Daughter" by Mary Alice Monroe.  The general theme centers around Monarch butterflies and their migration to/from Mexico.  The main character is about to complete a trip to Mexico her grandmother wanted to make with her so she could meet her family.  So far - it's pretty good.

Have just finished the first book in the "Evan Evans" mystery series by Rhys Bowen.  Not sure I'm going to like it as well as I did the Molly Murphy and Her Royal Spyness series but will try another one or two and see how it goes.

Marilyne

Callie - I didn't like the Lansdale, Hap and Leonard book, either!  Like you, there were things about the characters and story lines, that I didn't care for, so I returned it to the library, unread.

Lansdale, does a much better job when he writes about life during the Depression years.  I enjoyed the short story that took place during the 1930's,  (Geronimo's Grave), as well as the mystery novel I just finished, Edge of Dark Water.  The book was exciting, and held my interest, but somewhat farfetched, as mystery stories often are.   I doubt that I will read anything more by Lansdale.   Too many other writers that I like better.

maryc

Over in Television Topics I mentioned a book that I'm reading.  It is a non fiction called The Gift of Years:  Growing Old Gracefully by Joan Chittister.  A friend referred me to it.  I found the digital book through our library and purchased a paperback copy.  I wanted the hard copy because there seems to be quite a few things in it that I want to mark and reread.  I think it would be a good book for discussion with older folks providing all are ok talking about getting older.
Mary C

MarsGal

I am reading,and very much enjoying Ivan Doig's Last Bus to Wisdom. It tells the story of an 11 going on 12 year old boy with quite an imagination, who makes a bus trip, alone, from a Montana ranch to a Wisconsin lake-shore town to stay the summer with relatives he has never met. Right now, he is on his way again, by bus, after being sent back by the great-Aunt. This is my first Ivan Doig. I plan on reading more.