Random Image

thruway

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:37:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Well, had along one written out but it has vanished. Will be brief on this one
I was taking Benicar for my blood pressure for 4 years. Got it from the doctor on a program he had. Now the drug does cost $247 a month if no insurance. This is the only one I take the BP so never got the drug Insurance. Well the program ran out.  As many are this year.
Dr. suggested I just take the Benicar that came out asa Generic . I did and it did great and only $16. But now it can't be bought anyplace.Drug store say the doubt it will be back for a long time if ever.
So now he sent a prescription for Losartan.Try for a week.  Have been on it for 5 days. Other than getting up 2 at night no problem .Another one like it is Velsaltan.  Now some Losartan I saw was on a recall for Contamination last year but Pharm. say not the one they have.

Do any on you take any of these.  I just don't trust any of the Generics anymore. No wonder the papers show so many younger people dying. most under 65 . Most drugs are manufactured in China and I guess that there are one of the things that have been put on the Import list of goods coming in that the president put out last year.  Soon the Insurance companies will want to not pay and these drug cards that a lot of us use will be banned. Prices of drugs will go crazy prices. So many people did drop the Insurances as some Generics got so low. 70% savings .Lots of coupons came out .Makiing the Drug companies mad I suppose. That and People getting from Canada. More changes in the US A for people to worry about.
JeanneP

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone,
and Happy Presidents day    (Well - not much to be
happy about,  IMHO !! )

Hi Larry....  I sent by my Chrombook,  also,
as I did not think that it offered a compatible
choice to my Window 10 operating system...

I was very disappointed but did return it
successfully and chocked it up to lesson learned. 

Thank you FlaJean for remmebering that I emailed
you about Seniors and Friends after SeniorNET
abandoned us.  I emailed over 200 member of Senior Net
to let them know about SandF...  At the time loosing
SeniorNet was very hurtful ... without informing everyone
of what they were going to do ...   It was
hurtful and irresponsible ...  but I did try to
be helpful  and notify those that I could.

Have a good day everyone.. 

Sandy
 :smitten:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, if you have not read the link that Patricia posted about ranking the Presidents in order of their greatness, do so.  You will not be disappointed.

We have had a beautiful but cold sunny day today.  We're all the way to 25 degrees and at 5 pm it isn't going to warm up.  I don't complain because I have no place to go anyway.  I do miss the mail today, but so much is junk anyway.

Jeanne, I take BP pills, but not any of the ones you mentioned.  I am insured through the company where I worked and I get my prescriptions from Express Script and they just merged with Aetna.  I get four pill prescripts and one liquid eye medicine in three-month supply. 

Patricia, I hope your problems with notifications and graphics are over.  My problems with S&F are that there are not enough folders that interest me and there are not enough people posting! 

Jackie, one of the benefits of growing older - more pills to take.  I hope the new setup helps you.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...quoting: " Jackie, one of the benefits of growing older - more pills to take.."
...yes and gives us a wider social life, more outings, GP surgery's, Hospitals...
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

MaryAnn, I have not had notification issues. I was posting info for some that had. I did have a graphics issue that seems to have resolved itself. I do know that there are some other issues yet that have been mentioned in other folders. Altho this time not as much as the last fix but I wonder how many are quietly leaving?

I have this folder, Pets, Recipes, and PSP that I enjoy. It's like you said and to misquote, "The times they are a-changing." There are few of this style of sites left, even Twitter, Facebook and texting are on their way out.

I copied this from my Wordsmith email; "ETYMOLOGY:
In the 1830s, in Boston, there was a fad of making abbreviations; also of using jocular misspellings. So "all correct" became of "oll korrect" which became abbreviated to OK.
The word would have ended as a fad, but along came US President Martin Van Buren (1782-1862). During his re-election campaign of 1840, his supporters adopted the word OK as a nickname for him (short for Old Kinderhook; he was born in Kinderhook, New York) and the word has lived on ever since, not only in the English language, but most of the languages around the world. Earliest documented use: 1839.

NOTES:
It's OK. It's an all-American word. And like many things made in America, it's used everywhere. Not bad for a two-letter word. It can work as an adjective, noun, verb, adverb, interjection, and probably anything else that your imagination can conjure. It's not often that a whole book is written about a single word. Check out OK: The Improbable Story Of America's Greatest Word."

Mary Ann

Patricia, I post here, sometimes in Soda Shoppe ( enough that they don't miss me), Pets, the photo folders and, I guess, in any other folder that interests me or if someone has written something I want to respond to.  That's why I have so many posts.  I may look in on some folders but I don't post.  I didn't realize I was such a blabbermouth until I saw how many posts I had made compared to other people.  And so many of my posts are books.  Once I get started, it seems I can't stop!

Tom is in the kitchen, probably preparing something for supper; it smells good.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I enjoy the books, it's my favorite part of other posters. I tend to always write books.

We are still wet and humid with more snow but little accumulation. The Grand Haven cam looked very cold today but like an impressionistic painting.
FireShot Capture 3 - Surf Grand Haven I For Where You Live, Work and P_ - http___surfgrandhaven.jpg

Mary Ann

Thanks, Patricia I enjoy others' books too.

Some of the snow on the ice at Grand Haven has been covered by dirt that was blown on it.  The season is not long enough yet for ice formations to form.  I still see people walking out o the ice but with temps below freezing, the ice won't go away soon.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Quote from: Mary Ann on February 18, 2019, 05:09:48 PMSandy, if you have not read the link that Patricia posted about ranking the Presidents in order of their greatness, do so.  You will not be disappointed.

I did read that Mary Ann, 
but I was disappointed.
Disappointed that our present
leader is scrapping the
bottom of the barrel ... 
but I wasn't surprised, 
just very, very,  sad.   :'(

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MarsGal

I remember other such lists of Presidents. It seems the nearer they are to current days, with the exception of one or two, the Presidents get a lower rank. I think personal bias, or emotional impact, may have something to do with it. Plus, as the years separate us from long ago presidents, the impacts of they had on the nation become a little clearer, more authors (who didn't live through it) may be a little more even-handed, and info not available at the time can be accessed. I can think of several presidents who would be very high in the "feel good" department but actually didn't do so well in actually running the country. Then there were some that weren't well liked, but had a (mostly good) impact.

BBC News has an article this morning that may be of interest. Part of a series, it deals with the reasons for civilization collapse and the future. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190218-are-we-on-the-road-to-civilisation-collapse It is part of a series of articles.

Joy

Good morning.  Just a quick greeting this morning.

I know I have missed a couple days.  Just didn't have much to say.

But, I did get some news yesterday.  I have a new little great-grand daughter, named  Marley Marie.  I probably won't get to see her until maybe this summer, as they live in Connecticut.  She is the second daughter for my grand daughter.  I am anxious to hear how the oldest one is accepting her little sister.  I am hoping to see some pictures of the two of them together.  I did send the oldest one a " I am a big sister"  shirt.  I am sure she will be a big help for my grand daughter.

I need to get some breakfast and maybe that will help me wake up a little more.  I am not a morning person and I do have a terrible time in the mornings trying to get myself oriented.  I was having a terrible dream when I first woke up so that didn't help matters.

It is a bright sunny morning, but a big snow storm is heading our way for later today and continuing all day tomorrow.  I was so hoping that winter was going to wind down.  But, we still have March to get through and March can be a very tricky month.

I hope everyone that has not been feeling well will have a better day today.  I did not go back and read the previous messages so I will just send some good, sunny wishes to everyone.

Joy
BIG BOX

Sasha

MarsGal, I 've been pondering the possibility that we're on a downhill slope, so that article was timely for me. Many thanks.

Larry, I'm praying for that good heart of yours.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

Mary Ann

Joy, congrats on your new great-granddaughter.  I read once, to paraphrase, that new babies being born is God's way of showing the world will continue. 

MarsGal, I read part of the article you posted.  Reading is hard for me now, but I have gotten out a large magnifying glass and it helps.  I wonder how long our civilization will last.  It does seem to be going down a hole and I hope something will come along to slow things down.

Sandy, I meant the article agreed in part with your thoughts.

I got up at nearly 8 am and our temperature was 0 degrees.  I don't know what it is now because the thermometer near me reads 17 degrees and the sensor is in the sun.  If I go to a checkpoint, I'll lose everything I've written, not that that matters, but I don't want to type it again, if I could remember.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking in this morning.

Marilyne

MarsGal - Great article, that gives us lots to think about and ponder. Thanks for posting. Also, I like your thoughts on the President list. I'm going to copy and save your comments, because they are well said, and in agreement with the way I feel right now, as to the past, present and future.

Joy - Sorry you had an unpleasant start to the day.  I know what it's like to have a really bad dream, right before waking up.  It doesn't fade away quickly like most dreams, but instead it stays with you, and starts the day out all wrong.

Mary Ann - My backyard thermometer read 29 degrees when I got up.  I know that is much higher than your low of 0 degrees, but it's extremely cold for this part of California. The sun is shining, but there's a brisk North wind blowing, so it will likely be cold all day long. I'm glad I remembered to cover my outside tropical plants last night, but that might not be enough to save them.

Good morning to Larry, and Sasha! :hello:   

CallieOK

Good Morning, Everyfriend,

Another gloomy day with a Winter Mix predicted for this afternoon.  It seems we in the OKC area are at the "confluence" of two fronts - one coming up from the Gulf and the other coming from the Arctic (or somewhere up there).  Too cold for tornadoes so we get sleet/ice and all that sort of thing.  <sigh>
A lot of rural schools and even most of the metro schools closed for today.  However, some have been closing and disinfecting the buildings because of flu.

I know the Rockies and eastward are having big snows, etc.  Granddaughter in New York was flying to Florida  yesterday- supposed to leave at 5:00 p.m.  No problems at the NYC airport but her flight was delayed 5 hours because the plane was delayed leaving wherever it came from.  Web site I found for flights out of all NY city airports listed every airline's flight leaving around 5:00 as "delayed".
Guess I should be grateful we're not having that sort of thing.

For the ship web cam watchers:  I've seen quite a few people walking across the ice on the Two Harbors Boat Launch cam (Duluth web cam).  They're pulling what looks like a small sled and I've wondered if they're ice fishing.  Some of them have come from way out past the blinking lights at the harbor entrance.  Brrrrrr!

I can get very pessimistic about our future, too - and then I remember other eras when the future looked bleak and we managed to get through it.  However, I'm not as optimistic about things now because of technology lack of privacy and interpretation of our "rights" (which ought to include "responsibilities").

Thus endeth today's lecture.  :)

Wishing Everyfriend an Enjoyable Day.

FlaJean

We are in the 60s and a little cloudy today.  Joy, I'm a slow starter in the morning also.  Not much going on here but hope everyone is doing OK.

angelface555

A little bit of uncomfortable news if you'd like to complete the series on presidential rankings. The Vice President was at a unilateral security meeting for western nations in Munich recently, and he said that the president sent his greetings and paused.

Absolute dead silence until he continued with his speech. When he mentioned this country's agenda and stated, he knew the other countries were with that agenda, pausing with yet again a period of dead silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YXQqoWbQ-E 

Mary Ann

Patricia, I read that about Pence and his speech in Europe.  I know our President thinks he's popular because he's said so.  I read another thing about the worth of the Presidents' estates now, figured in today's dollars and quite a few estates were worth "only" $1M dollars, but most were worth much more than that amount.  Only one estate was worth $1B or more and I can't remember if it was Trump or someone else.

Jean, I may get up early, such as 6 am, but usually later, but I'm not fully awake at that time.  I sometimes think I don't wake up until about noon.  I just got up from a nap and I'm not sure I'm awake now as my fingers keep finding the wrong keys on the computer. 

Marilyn, our temperature now is 30 degrees, sun still shining.  In summer, I have my plants outside and toward the end of the season, I find it necessary to move them next to the building as the temps get lower.  I really would like to give most of my plants away, but I haven't had any takers.  I seem to be the only person who has the interests I do!

For Christmas, Tom gave me a card for the Blue Water Grill which is near here, so we went there today.  We sat by a window and the sun was so bright, I could hardly look outside.  The Blue Water Grill is a bit on the expensive side but we like to splurge there occasionally.  It is not a place to treat anyone unless it is a very special occasion. 

Callie, we get plenty of snow each year, but seldom have a tornado.  I do think Lake Michigan offers us some protection but our temps have been rising in recent years.  I don't expect to live long enough to see the temps go much higher, after all the rise in temps is usually a small percent of a degree each year.

The year Jim and I went to Alaska, they had to change our flight (to first class!!) because the plane we were to be on was delayed leaving wherever they were.  I'd hate to be delayed five hours.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, in 1972 I had a five hour layover in the basement of Knoxville's airport due to a plane being late. I had to remain in that basement from two in the morning until seven with a leashed English Cocker, a two-month-old baby, a backpack, small suitcase, and a carryon. There was a luggage standby office, but it remained closed at the time.

I was flying as a military dependent, and I swear they booked me to where I was going on the most roundabout way they could find! Fourteen hours and three layovers in Knoxville, Seattle, and Anchorage with the shortest delay at two and a half hours!

We have had the same weather pattern for a week with every weather report saying similar to the day before. And the following week is to be the same, partly cloudy with light snow or sleet with little accumulation. It is very humid and wet presently, and I'd love to see the sun again without then expecting cold weather!. The good news is my sinuses seem to be again behaving.

Lindancer

[b  MarsGal and Marilyne and all others talking about the rating of the presidents.  My thoughts on FDR. He also was considered rich for his day. I have been to Warm Springs,Ga. many times and have seen the patients. FDR would get in the pool with them. No one took pictures, or mention what poor health he was in. I have seen the braces and that wheel chair did not look to comfortable. I also saw him in person in the Charleston Navy Yard

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Gloria, I have read that because of WWII, he felt it important not show his disabilty. I don't know about afterward.

Lindancer

Patricia, I have also been to Campobello Island where he first got polio.  I have seen the movie Campobello.  Very interesting.I am looking out the window by my computer and I can see the big fullmoon.  Taffy is setting next to me, she is wondering why I am up.  She has to stay by my side if I am wondering around in the early morning, It disturbs her sleep :)

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Just a little update this morning.  I am not doing well as am getting weaker everyday, coughing and rasping  more (which goes with congestive heart failure).  I have to use the rollator (walker) when I move about as have become pretty unsteady on my feet.  I spoke to my Cardiologist's office this morning to see if I could get in to see her again soon.  However, she is having surgery tomorrow and she said I should go to the ER.  I have an appointment tomorrow with the kidney doctor as I have stage 4 kidney disease and I will see him and see if he thinks I need to be admitted to the hospital.  If so I will request they contact my cardiologist before I went back to my doctor that I had before him.  So things are sort of up in the air here.  I am clearing my plate of commitments and trying to be sure I have everything in order for Pat and Scott.  Enough about me today.  I have read all of the postings since yesterday.

Mary Ann

Larry, I am so sorry to read your update.  I keep hoping the doctors can find something to level off your heart problems and kidney problems.  I know you have two very serious things wrong and we can only pray for you, Pat and Scott.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Larry, I too am sorry and I agee with what MaryAnn has posted. We all wish the doctors are able to help you feel stronger.

FlaJean

Larry, I'm sorry to hear that you are not doing well.  It's good that you looked ahead and prepared best as you can.  Praying for you, Pat and your son.

Today is overcast but fairly warm.  I don't envy the parts of the Midwest that will be getting all that bad weather.  How is the weather in your part of the country, Mary Ann?  Where my son lives near DC, they have had several inches of snow and it is cold.

GloriaDe, when you can't rest at night, do you have to nap during the day?  Last evening I drank a little Pepsi and that caffeine kept me awake until 2 am.  I usually have a little root beer which doesn't contain caffeine.  The weatherman says we have 80% chance of rain, but that is better than a winter blizzard.

Marilyne

Larry - I've been thinking about you all morning, and hoping that you consider going to the ER today.  I hope the we hear from you soon, that you have seen a doctor, and that you're feeling better?  Until then, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Mary Ann

Jean, I looked out the window and if we are having any snow, it is light flurries.  Radar shows all of Michigan in snow.  I did look at the Soo and they are getting snow, as is the Duluth and Superior areas.  Up there, you can hardly see a thing.

Jean, I try to not drink anything with caffeine at all because it does keep me awake.  My preferred drinks are root beer and Sprite (or something comparable). 

Tom surprised me when he said he had a meeting at the library.  We have the Township Library across the road and that is where his meeting is.  Usually his meetings are all over the place, but not close to home.  I did not watch him leave, but I don't see any tire tracks in what little snow is around so I don't know if he walked or not.

I gave Kendrick some catnip earlier and he turned right around after eating it and begged for more.  I told him he will have to wait a while, maybe like 4 o'clock.  I talk to him like he understands what I am saying.  Sometimes I think he does!

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone.. 

Larry,  thank you for the update. 
I wish you well,  and hope that things
start improving very soon. 

I spent this morning putting in my
first "Order to go" at my favorite
Grocery Chain this morning. 

My daughter Kelly wants me to begin to
use this service.  The store is right
next to where she lives,  so pickup will
be easy for her or for one of her girls.

We are going to start using it this week
so that we (she and them) can get used
to the system.    From what I hear,
people who use it,  seem to love it.

Our system here,  the orders need to be
picked up (as they don't deliver)...  but
that is OK for Kelly because the
store is so close to her,  and it is
very convenient.

It seems like things keep on changing,
even though sometimes we would like to
keep things the same.