Random Image

Thru The Window

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 08:19:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beverly

Jenny - I hope Michelle gets a good report on the scan. Praying the tumor has shrunk.............I know this is hard for the whole family.

Mary Ann - I don't know if they have a tick problem in Michigan but it has become serious in New England. The rash is only the beginning, the complications from Lyme disease last a lifetime. Getting on antibiotics quickly is vital.

Marilyne - Thanks for the encouraging words. Donna has a very positive attitude. She has dealt with many things during her life. At her appt. today she learned she'll be going through a series of tests to determine which stage she's in and then will start chemo. Weaving is her hobby (she has a large loom) so her motto has become "Weaving my way through it".

Bubble - Wonderful that you were able to vacation with your daughter!

Sandy - Your sister-in-law will appreciate having you there. Congratulations on the new laptop. (Pray you have cool weather!  :) )

Still no word from Patricia?

so_P_bubble

Yes, it was a great outing.  It was just too hot and I came back exhausted. I slept 15H straight when I got back to my own bed.
When will it finally get cooler? Daughter and Aviv are travelling for almost a month on the 2nd of August. They will visit friends in Sweden.  I am sure the weather will be more tolerable there./color]

Joy

Good morning.  A big change in temperature this morning.  Had a bad storm yesterday afternoon and sure cooled it off.  Only in the mid 60's this morning.

I just wrote a long message, and lost it.  I just don't know what I do when that happens.

I am sorry that I don't have time to rewrite it. So, I will just wish everyone a good day.

Hope all who are waiting for doctor's reports will get good news !   My thoughts are with  you all.

I have a doctor's appt. a little later, so I need to get a few things done so I can get ready to go out.

Have a good day. I will try to get back later today.

Joy
BIG BOX

so_P_bubble

Joy, try hitting control+Z when you lose a post. Many times it brings it back. That undo trick  also works when you delete something by mistake, or hit a wrong key and your work disappears.

Joy

Thanks, Bubble..  I have tried something like  that before and it didn't work.  But , I think it was a different way.  But, I will try your suggestion when it happens again.  It seems to happen often.  And, I just wish I knew what I do. 

Thanks, 

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Even though it's predicted to hit 95 degrees here today, it will still be a nice day for me.  It's Sandy's day off, and she will be coming over  for lunch.  Then we plan on going to a brand new antique shop, that opened last month, in a neighboring town.  Both of us collect and hunt for the same types of antiques . . . American dinnerware, and related items from the 1930's through the 1960's.  She's looking for hard to find pieces of Franciscan Desert Rose and Starburst, and I'm just looking!  I try very hard not to buy anything anymore, but sometimes I can't resist! 

JOY - I know how you feel when you spend lots of time on a message, and then you accidentally do something (who knows what?) and it disappears.  It's so disheartening, and takes away your desire to compose a new post to take its place.   I've been told many times how to bring back, or "rescue" a lost post, but it never seems to work for me?

I hope everyone is feeling well this morning?  That includes Larry! 

JENNY - We're looking forward to hearing from you soon, that Michele got good news from her oncologist?

BEVERLY - Hoping for a good prognosis from Donna's oncologist?  It sounds like she has a great attitude, which really helps when you're just starting chemo.   

FlaJean

Joy, you seem to be feeling better?  Hope so.

Marilyne, sounds like you are going to have a pleasant afternoon.  Larry and I stopped in at a nice antique store not long ago.  I saw a beautiful complete dinnerware set that I just loved.  But I don't even use my china that I've had for years and is sitting unused in my china cabinet.  Anyway, the set in the antique store was $800.  I don't remember who made it, but I really liked it.

Where is Mary Ann today?  Sure do miss her when she isn't here!!

Patricia, haven't heard from you in a while.  I always enjoy your posts!  I learn something new almost every time you post.

Beverly, hoping for the best for your daughter.  It's been about 45 years since I got a tick bite while picking some blackberries.  I had legs and ankles covered I thought, but one got me.  At that time I knew nothing about lime disease.  You would think that the cold winters in the northeast would kill off a lot of those insects.

Almost 1pm and I have been goofing off all morning looking at old photos.

Mary Ann

Jean, I'm sorry, I thought I had posted, but I did not find a post from me.  I think I may have posted in SS because no one had posted overnight in B&T.  I haven't done much, as usual.  I like to browse in antique shops too.  When we had a mall up the hill, I'd go every day and just walk around.  I bought several things over the years, mostly very inexpensive, but I did buy a china cabinet one year.  It holds various pieces that were in the family.  I could get rid of it very easily, but Tom wanted to keep it and he will get it when he inherits this condo.  The mall was torn down for a Lowe's and I don't do garage sales so I don't look for anything now.  I don't need anything else, so it is a good thing. 

I think I did not mention this - among other things that have disappeared around here was a back scratcher - long with a hand at one end and a shoe horn at the other.  The hand and shoe horn were tortoise shell.  I bought it when Tom lived with me before he married in 1984.  One day I wanted to use the back scratcher and it was missing.  I had no idea where it would be; this probably was in 2015 or so.  I blamed a friend of Annie but I had no proof and I had to let it go.  I figured someone had either taken it or had used it and broke it.  I priced one in Amazon and it was $48 because of the tortoise shell. Anyway, last night I saw something leaning on the monitor of an old TV and it was my back scratcher.  I have no idea how it got there nor how long it had been there but it was missing over four years!  There are other things I'd like to turn up like that!

Other than that, I've been watching ships on the St Clair River; we see all kinds.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Mary Ann, I feel much better now that you have posted.  We've been having some light rain and thunder.  We can use the rain but I don't like the lightning.

I keep a backscratcher on the shelf of my nightstand.  Don't use it very often but like to have it handy in case I need it.  I bought a Lemon Pepperidge Farm cake at the store a couple of days ago.  Just had a piece and it sure tasted good.  Think I'll go read awhile.  It Was nice and sunny until around 3pm central time.  Now it is dreary.

I hope Marilyne is enjoying her afternoon with her daughter shopping or looking.

RAMMEL

Finally, after some bad weather last night, we got a break in the weather. Cooler and drier now with the temp down around 70°. I hate the 80 to 90 temp's. I just turn to a blob  :'(  Went to  99º yesterday.
I had been using a win-10 computer but it died over the weekend. Hopefully I backed up enough of my "stuff" so I can restore most of it. Now waiting for a new one to be delivered. Till then I have a Win-7 laptop that will have to do.
Just finished a quick read here. Maybe Pat is having problems with the smoke. It looked bad in the last pic/info she gave.
Bubble - I forgot about the CTRL+Z combo.  Thanks for the reminder.
Happy night all  :thumbup:
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Rick, I have been staying inside in the air conditioning while it was so hot.  We have cooled off a lot too and we're a good 10 degrees under what we have been having - it's 70 degrees at 9 pm.  I sat on my deck for a while and it was a bit cool for wearing shorts, but I stayed out anyway; it is so nice out there.

I'm sorry about your Win-10.  I've been using Win-10 too and today I had trouble trying to go from one folder to another.  The cursor worked but nothing happened.  Tom got it to working again.  I get so many messages about apps not working on my computer, however, something always comes up.  i am afraid I'm heading for a time when the apps won't work.  I see I have to buy them and that's what I dislike.

Patricia had mentioned that the smoke was bothering her and she hated to have to be inside all of the time, but she has posted something during those times. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Patricia last posted on the 18th but i see she must have looked in yesterday, her name is showing she peeked in if not posting...
" There is no present like the time "

SCFSue

Fla Jean, I'm with you about being happy with NO SNOW!  We had 2 tours of duty in Brunswick, Maine, and the winters there are very long with lots of snow.  Bob would be deployed to places where the planes could fly more easily than at Brunswick and the boys and I would be stuck in the Brunswick area!  The first time we moved there, our oldest was still not a year old and Bob was gone most of that time.  I became very close friends to the snow shovel!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

MarsGal

I've been looking at Bubble's pictures, over in the Photos discussion, of her vacation with her daughter ant grandson at a kibbutz. Very nice. Looks quiet and cozy. I could live in a place like that.

It is very nice outside, around 80 now, with low humidity and a slight breeze. I've turned off the air conditioners and opened the windows to get some "fresh" air, even the basement windows. The front lawn is mowed and lunch is done (salmon on a roll and coleslaw). Tomorrow I will do the backyard.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Marilyne

MarsGal - sounds like you're very content today!  All your work is  finished, and you're ready to relax.  :)   Salmon on a roll with coleslaw, sounds delicious!   Now you can sit back and watch the webcams!

Rick - Good to see you checking in, and glad that your miserable weather has changed for the better.  Now the West Coast is getting the hot steamy temperatures.  Today in my area, temps are supposed to hit 100 degrees, but I hope not.   The weather people love to forecast the worst possible scenario.  We have had a few wildfires on the surrounding hillsides, but so far no homes have burned. 

SCFSue - Nice to see you here also.  I hope you return soon.

Mary Ann

Tom and I just returned from having lunch at the Deli at Cannonsburg, about 10 miles east of here.  They have huge sandwiches for $8, including chips and a pickle.  Drinks are extra.  Tom had a ham sandwich and I had a turkey sandwich, each with pickle, mayo or mustard or ketchup and tomato.  I always bring half of my sandwich home along with what's left of the Sprite.  Then we take the scenic route home which goes along and across the Grand River.  Tom hates to take the same way home that he took to get to any place (Norm did too).  We had a few Amazon packages on the porch when we got home and I have an idea most of them were for the cat.  I'd like to have a toy that he would play with without help and I hope i found one.  It is something that stands on a post that vibrates and he can bat the post to make it move.  He may be beyond playing with toys so I'll find out.  At six years old, he is the equivalent of 40+ human years.  He definitely is an adult cat.

It is a lovely day here.  One thermometer reads 85 degrees but that is the one where I think the heat is trapped between buildings.  This morning, there was nine degrees difference between that and the one in my bedroom, so I'll say the other thermometer would read about 80 degrees.  At the Deli, it was very comfortable.

I think it is time for a nap, at least after I finish S&F.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Your deli sandwiches sound delicious.  I would also choose the turkey, but on a hot day like today, the ham would be good too.  Nice and salty!   Let us know how Kendrick likes his new toys?  The batting post will be fun for you to watch.

I hope we hear from all of our other B&T friends, before the day is ended?

Beverly

It rained most of the day here and was dreary and dark.

Today was our granddaughter Elise's 30th birthday. It was also the first wedding anniversary of our granddaughter Brynn and her husband Chris.

Jenny - Hope you are getting some rest tonight after your very early flight this morning.

Mary Ann - How strange that your back scratcher turned up after all this time! Some things we can never figure out.

Time for bed.......Chape is already there. Good night all.

MarsGal

Mary Ann, Kendrick may be just slowing down a bit and changing his choice of toys. I noticed that after a while, my cats insist on "playing" by just sitting there and watching while you try to entice them with a toy. But if you stop, they start pesting to "play" again. Go figure. Lucy, at 10, is going through a second childhood. She has again become interested in the fishing pole toy, and at times, bats at the balls in the tiered thing. She has been playing some with the mouse under the skirt thing too. In fact, I even saw Shan, once, come over and turn it on for her; they then both sat there batting at it.

The backyard awaits its weekly cutting. It is still relatively cool this morning, but feels a little humid.

I did try to watch some web cams yesterday, but they kept getting cut off. I don't know if it was FIOS or YouTube, but I did note, later on, that someone mentioned in the Port Huron chat having problems with YouTube yesterday. One of the webcams I checked out yesterday was Michigan's South Beach cam. It looked like a nice day with several boats going in and out of the harbor and the beach goers having fun. I did see what looked like a tall ship a bit farther out, but not close enough for me to identify. The darn thing didn't have its GPS on, so it didn't show up on the Marine Tracking site. It was hard to tell if it had one or two masts, but my guess is that it was a gaff rigged brigantine. I could have been a schooner, but I always think of them as being rather sleak, whereas this on has a heavy looking hull.

It is Thursday already. I feel like I missed a day.

Mary Ann

Last night was one of those nights where I slept off and on, probably more off than on.  I may have gone to sleep about 4 am until about 6 am when I got up, then went back to bed at 7 am and slept until 9.  I just got up and I slept good in those two hours. 

MarsGal, Kendrick has never had many toys but he does have the mouse-under-the-skirt thing.  I forget to get it out most of the time.  Once he catches the mouse, he doesn't know what to do.  He was just six years old a week ago.  I opened the slider door and he hurried out to the deck and I left him there for ten minutes.  The mowers are here this morning and he was anxious to come in at the end of the ten minutes.  I did not know that Michigan had a South Beach; I wonder where that is.  I don't know about the Port Huron cam but I did know the Marine City cam was down.  I think they changed the link number because a new one was posted in one of the other cams.  I have not gone to the ships yet.

Beverly, I remember you posted a picture of Brynn at the time she was married.  I have a few other things I wish would turn up like the back scratcher did.  I don't use the computer where I found the scratcher by the monitor which is why I didn't find it sooner.   

Tom just opened the packages from Amazon and I think the cat is with him.  Last night Kendrick was smelling the packages because he could smell the catnip.  Everything "cat" in the boxes has catnip attached and Kendrick has a good nose!

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning.   Pretty sunny morning, but still chilly. These cooler days have been nice, except I just haven't gotten outside .  I am still kind of sticking close to my apartment.

I am just marking my place and saying good morning.  I have not been up too long, but have had my breakfast. I really need to clean out my fridge.  I was hoping to do it yesterday, but I just didn't feel like it. I do want to get it done today so I can get it out for the trash.

I hope everyone will have a nice day.

Joy
BIG BOX

FlaJean

It is a cool 80 degrees here this morning but the weather app says the pollen count is high.  Think I'll stay inside so I don't stir up my allergies.

Rammel, I know you will be glad to get your new computer.  My iMac is 10 years old but still working good except a bit slow but thinking about buying a new one before it goes.  I enjoy making personal birthday and anniversary cards for my family and making an occasional video.  I just don't like to use my husband's laptop with that 15 inch screen, but it sure is fast.

Mary Ann, sounds like a nice scenic drive and a good lunch.  Jeff went south yesterday to visit his mother for a couple of days so we're planning on taking Gigi out to dinner this evening.  This is tourist season in this area so we avoid going to Destin or Ft. Walton Beach on the weekends when everything is so crowded.

Marilyne, did you enjoy your visit to the antique shop?  In the past we have spent many weekends visiting antique shops looking for unusual pieces of Westmoreland milk glass in our Panel Grape pattern.  That was in younger years.  There are lots of places in central Florida with a variety of antique shops.  We had plenty of room in those days to display a collection but this house is too small for collecting.  But that is part of downsizing.

I sure do miss Larry Hannah's long post.  I also miss Patricia when she is missing.  Joy, Hope you are feeling well and will soon be enjoying those steamed crabs.

Beverly, do you still play golf?  Right now I'm thinking it might be too hot for that game or tennis.  I read the other day in the Post that a 32 year old man died from heat stroke after football practice.

Have a good day everyone.

Marilyne

Good morning . . . I guess it's closer to noon, for all of you who live in the Eastern time zone. Which, I think, is everyone who posts in B&T, except for Jackie, Patricia and me?  That reminds me, it's also been a long time since I've seen a message from Joan, in Washington?

We didn't visit the new antique shop on Tuesday.  I didn't feel well, and knew there was something wrong, but couldn't figure out what it was.  Long story short - I went to the doctor late yesterday, and seems that I have a UTI, even though I wasn't having any symptoms of that sort.  Mainly bad headache, and overall weakness and body aches.  AJ wasn't feeling well either, (which is very unusual), so Sandy did the grocery shopping for us.  I'll have to enjoy the antiques next Tuesday I guess, unless AJ and I both snap out of the doldrums, and feel like going tomorrow. (Friday)

Jean - I remember when you posted pictures of your Westmoreland milk glass collection, in the Photos, Old and New, folder.  I used to collect Fenton, so I had a number of milk glass pieces, at one time.  All sold long ago, when I had my little shop, within a large antique mall. 

I'd better go eat some breakfast, and then take a shower, etc. I'm getting a late start  today.

MarsGal

Here is the new Marine City link on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPyp9gLQx1Y

StreamTime Live's website which lists all their Cams:
https://streamtimelive.com/  click on Current Cams at the top right of the screen.

If you are interested in what is under the surface of the St. Clair River, some adventurous folks have posted videos. The other day I found out those two red buoys are at the first curve past the bridge mark wreck. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Diving+the+St.+Clair+River
Just found this one showing the sailboats moored along the Black River before the race on the 20th. How would you like a condo on the river with boat parking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWLpKT0ksmo and these shots that of the boats with their colorful sails up on the lake. Wow! Much more fun to look at than the parade up the river. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3FJoOGZpps

I do hope the mailman brings the grocery ads today. In the meantime, it's time to go see what other stuff I can get into. Have a good day everyone.

Mary Ann

MESSAGE FROM LARRY'S SON, SCOTT

Mary Ann,

This is Scott, Larry's son.  I believe I have written you in the recent past, but not sure.  I am going through his communications to let everyone know his status.

Unfortunately his status has not improved and in some ways is worsening. I know he would not want anyone worrying about him so I though I'd drop you a line so you might post something on his behalf.

At this point I do not know when he will be able to return to his online presence. The sooner the better.

If he helps me remember, as he did yesterday, I will keep you updated on his condition.

Thank you,
Scott

FlaJean

Thanks for posting that, Mary Ann.  I'm glad Scott will keep us posted.

Marilyne, I hope you will feel better soon.  I slept pretty good last night for a change, but my husband said he was up and down all night.  I didn't even notice.

Mary Ann

I posted the message from Scott Hanna earlier, then was so anxious to get it to Soda Shoppe, that I left here without saving it and it was not here.  I am so thankful that Scott sent us a message.  It sounded as if he has answered others so we are being informed. 

Will someone copy the message for Christian Photography.  I cannot post there and I think both Patricia and Jackie are members.  Please and thanks.

MarsGal, I ran into the Marine City problem but got the new link from the Chat column.  Thanks for posting it. 

Report on the cat toy - so far, no good.  I bought a "mouse on top of a flexible post" that he can bat back and forth.  The eyes are red when the mouse goes back and forth.  Kendrick enjoyed watching me bat the mouse, but he didn't get up to do anything.  I put some catnip on the mouse and he went after the catnip but there was no playing with it.  I think he's rather rub my shins and let me pull on his tail.  Either that, or he's in his bed, sometimes asleep, or on my bed asleep.

Tom just told me that he and I are taking Jan and her mother to supper, I think tonight, otherwise tomorrow night.  We'll go to the Olive Garden which is near their home.  Jan's father's funeral/memorial service will be Saturday morning with visitation an hour earlier. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

MarsGal, I looked at some of the videos you had and I wondered where the river channel is with all of the condos and sailboats.  If it is the channel that veers to the left of the scene, it seems it would be hard for ships to get through with all of the sailboats and other boats.  I'm not familiar with either Port Huron or Sarnia and I do know there are rivers that feed into the St Clair River.  What a view we'd have for any video!

Mary Ann

Sandy

MESSAGE FROM LARRY'S SON, SCOTT

Mary Ann,

This is Scott, Larry's son.  I believe I have written you in the recent past, but not sure.  I am going through his communications to let everyone know his status.

Unfortunately his status has not improved and in some ways is worsening. I know he would not want anyone worrying about him so I though I'd drop you a line so you might post something on his behalf.

At this point I do not know when he will be able to return to his online presence. The sooner the better.

If he helps me remember, as he did yesterday, I will keep you updated on his condition.

Thank you,
Scott

Thank You so very much Scott
for letting us know how your Dad
is doing.  I know that he would
love to post if he could. 

Best wishes to you all.. 
I miss Larry's posts,  but
appreciate you stepping in
and letting us know how
he is doing.
Sandy

Thank  you Mary Ann for
sending usthis message.
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, I'm glad to be the middle person to pass on messages when requested. 

Mary Ann