Random Image

Fi and Maddie

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of July 10

Started by JoanFL, July 10, 2016, 04:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

Jackie, what we call Canadian bacon would be known as back bacon in the UK.

Callie, I'm thanking you, too.  I did your little trick of holding my arms straight down at my sides and then bending them to a 45 deg. angle and knew I needed to raise the arms on my rollator 2 notches.  I didn't realize that I was walking so hunched over and I expect that contributed to me being so tired when I finish grocery shopping through my VERY large store.  I hope that my next shopping trip will be less tiring.  Just walking around in the house with the rollator is more comfortable now.  You did some of us a great service.

Temps are not too bad today.  84 deg. on my house thermometer and the humidity is down lower than recent days.  And a nice little zephyr of breeze is very pleasantly stirring things around.  It could be worse!
phyllis
Cary,NC

Jeanne Lee

Online shopping is  :baaa: !
I sure don't know how some of you can be so content with ordering your groceries.   :-\

Just one more thing I'm going to have to adapt to now, I guess.  I'm sure that eventually I'll learn but meanwhile I'm getting more and more frustrated.  My friends are so willing to help out, but I don't really feel right about asking them to do the shopping for me.  I guess for dairy and frozen, etc. I'm going to need to have it done, but the non-prerishable should be available delivered from Amazon or Walmart or.....   

Golden years?????? 

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JoanFL

Phyllis--Callie's little tip has sure helped a few use their walkers more comfortably.  No breeze here--not even a blade of grass moving.

Jeanne Lee--I know it's hard adjusting to having someone do your shopping or doing it online.  I have a lady who physically shops for me every two weeks (I have to pay her).  Then in between I use Shipt.  It is a subsidiary of the grocery chain Publix.  I have an app for it, shop online and order is delivered within 1 hr. of placing same.  If you buy over $35 delivery is free.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Carol

DD:  Welcome back!  The place you stay has a beautiful view - saw it in Facebook.  Sorry you had to come back - it is still hot this week.  Ugh on the fires!  I was happy to hear they arrested two men from another state - camping & they were careless.  What a terrible price to those who lost their house & all those evacuated.  The wind doesn't help at all. 

Joan:  Great for your grocery shopping - your gal who goes to the store and the delivery service.  We use (sometimes) an online shopping service and pick it up free. 

JaneS

I think WM has that order and pick up service.  Our store does and it was my understanding that it was all stores.  You order on line or by phone and they tell you when to pick it up and someone comes out and puts it in your car while you wait.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

halkel

Janie, here in San Antonio you order from WM online and their are certain stores where you can go a pickup.  Not all stores.

But, my Granddaughter loves it, she uses it extensively.  She has those twin boys and they are a handfull when out shopping.  The store she picks up from is just a little distance from her house and on her way home from work.

Other stores are having to come up with their version to meet the competition.

June Drabek

Another day to be thankful for.  We are all here this evening, but I still haven't seen Lloyd.

Bis, I did get myself in gear and went down for lunch. Had a cup of soup, an egg salad sandwich, a large glass of tomato juice and two oatmeal cookies to take home, along with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream, now tucked away in my small freezer. Then went back down for a movie...a Christian style movie, called The Flywheel. Sort of a tear-jerker.

Now I am home, relaxed, and looking forward to bed and book , about an hour to go for that. So, I will play some solitaire and Freecell on the computer. I pray you all have a good night, and happy tomorrow, with Love, Hugs and Prayers. June

As long as we are here, let's dance.

Vanilla-Jackie

Phyllis, now I am confused even more.....we have " back " bacon, but I know that to be the cut....I am sure our British version of " back " is different to your American version...re, Wikipedia.....

" Back bacon is a traditional British cut of typically unsmoked bacon sliced to include both the pork loin from the back and a bit of pork belly in the same cut. It is either wet- or dry-cured, and is much leaner than American style smoked side bacon made only from the pork belly. Back bacon is derived from the same cut used for pork chops, the loin.

In Australia, back bacon is known as 'middle bacon', not to be confused with 'short cut bacon', which does not include the pork belly. See Bacon Australia and New Zealand. ".......

"Canadian bacon"....

"Canadian bacon" is American usage for a form of roughly cylindrical fully cooked back bacon, usually smoked, trimmed into medallions, and thickly sliced. The term "Canadian bacon" is not actually used in Canada, where the product is generally known simply as "back bacon", while "bacon" alone refers to the same streaky pork belly bacon as in the United States. "Canadian" bacon is made only from the lean eye of the loin and is ready to eat; this preparation is closer to ham than standard bacon. "

The product may have arisen from a unique form of back bacon which emerged in Southern Ontario called "peameal bacon", which is unsmoked wet cured pork loin trimmed like "Canadian bacon" and traditionally rolled in ground dried yellow peas to extend its shelf life. Today it is generally rolled in yellow cornmeal. "......

So now we know.... ;D 
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's DDs to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Interim School Superintendent

An interim school superintendent, speaking at a city-wide PTA luncheon, assured members that he was always happy to hear from them about problems. He told them, "You can call me day or night, at this number . . ."

Suddenly there was a cry from the assistant superintendent. "Hey," he exclaimed, "that's MY number!"

Food For Thought

Never Give Up
Michael T. Smith

Ginny and I sat at the edge of Idaho's Salmon River. The snow capped peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains towered over us. It was late May. We were 6,500 feet above sea level.  The air was crisp, close to freezing. The river rippled by. The sound it made, combined with the mountain background, was calming.

We sat with our drinks and enjoyed our anniversary vacation.

We normally had the place to ourselves that time of year, but this time, there were many guests.

Two of the guests had Black Labrador Retrievers. The two dogs, friendly as the breed is, became friends.

A couple children tossed a football between them. One made a bad throw. The ball landed in the swift following water. The two dogs jumped into the water to retrieve it. Their owners quickly called them back, afraid they would be swept away.

They both returned to shore, but one decided not to give up.

It ran down the river bank, saw the correct moment to get the ball, dove into the frigid mountain waters, retrieved the ball and returned it to the kids.

Many would say, "It's gone!" Not this dog. He never gave up.

Never give up on your goals either.

Thought of the Day

Remember that the right relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.

--Author Unknown

:smitten:

Amy

Good morning everyone.

We are off to the city this morning ,hubby has a Dr. appointment then after that we will meet up with the kids for lunch. Going to be a hot humid day here and for the rest of the week too!

Still no Lloyd, wonder if his computer gave up the ghost or he is doing combining of grains now?

Joan,thank you for the dd's  love the raspberry ones!!

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Good Tuesday, an almost lunchtime here in UK....we have had a mixture of sun and fine drizzle....

Our morning electrician young guy turned up 8.30am, just 15 minutes later than he told us.....no problem, R put the kettle on for a tea for him, while we all unpacked the light fitting boxes and left electrician to fan out the five bronzed arms and fitted the very tiny bulbs into the glass shades....The lights have a stunning effect which I am sure will look better once dark, they adapt to our dimmer switch......

Amy, if only we could all keep ourselves away from these not wanted hospital trips....I have my urinary bleed trip tomorrow, so been a tad on edge as the day is drawing nearer....

I always get concerned when our Lloyd Hammond doesn't show, knowing his previous misfortunes with machines and so forth...I hope he shows himself soon....perhaps its just a busy time of year for him, and his farming....

Not much on my agenda today, my MS social night is tonight, something always for me to look forwards to....have no Idea what is on the agenda for entertainment tonight, guess that's also part of the mysterious fun, but we always end with a tea and food snack, plus a monthly prize draws, of which with the many raffles numbers picked out the box, you can almost guarantee to come away with something....

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  It's to be another HOT and HUMID day here, too.  I hope all goes well at the doctors for your husband.  Enjoy your lunch with the kids.  Hopefully Lloyd is missing because he's busy--nothing more serious.

Vanilla-Jackie--I'm sure your light fixtures are stunning.  I hope tomorrow's trip to the hospital provides you with some information about your problem.   Enjoy your MS social night.

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend! Yesterday was a gorgeous day here with a high of only 81, low humidity and a light breeze.  It was a gift!  Today will be into the high 80s...still not too bad for this time of year. 

I have a young man coming back this morning to finish a gardening job that he started yesterday.  He's a very hard worker recommended by a church friend for whom he also works.  He did a beautiful job yesterday.  And he didn't waste a minute!

Jackie and Amy....prayers go with you!

Everyfriend, have a lovely day!

Vanilla-Jackie

Joan, its only taken us three and a half months, ;D to finally find some that we think will be right for our low roof parkhome...and that we both actually like...

Jane S, you make sure you hang on tight to him, a gardener that works hard and doesn't waste time is sure a treasure to find, more so if he was recommended by your local church, you cant have a better recommendation that that....

JaneS

You are exactly right about that, Jackie.  But he was recommended by my long-time friend at church.  He also works for her..  And he was supposed to start on Tuesday morning.  He texted that he was having lunch and had finished the job he was doing in a nearby town and could start mine in about a half hour if I was interested.  I was and he did. 

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  Hang on to that young gardener.  As you know they are hard to find.  In Arkansas we had no HOA and when Ray could no longer take care of mowing, trimming etc. we had a heck of a time finding reliable help.  After Ray passed away I had even a worse time--maybe they thought a little old lady wouldn't pay much attention to the outside.  The worse guy I tried showed up to do the lawn staggering drunk.

Vanilla-Jackie--"Good things come to those who wait".

JaneS

Around here, it seems that you find someone who is conscientious and hardworking and he's also AMBITIOUS.  I don't have any problem with that but they seem to reach a point where they are too big for the little people who got them started.  I've had 3 like that over the years.  When I was younger, I just picked up the slack but I can't do that now.  I have a feeling that Sam is different.  He told me twice yesterday that he "loves working outside" even when it gets hot."  I kept him supplied with ice water and he put in two hours doing three times what my neighbor and I had accomplished in the same amount of time.  And his work looked a lot better than ours. 

I think he's definitely a "keeper"!

Lloyd Hammond

well I thought as it is raining,and I cant get out right now I best take time to let you all know I am ok and Abel to return as a bad penny dose as they say. have been doing some cleaning on the property ans selling some of the scrap iron.
I have also  been getting parts together to get the engine rebuilt for my skid steer. Oldest daughter and husband and
grand daughter came Sunday. the friend that takes care of our Bee's came by to get a frame of brood with queen cells
for another friends swarm had lost his queen, so we all went out and watched. the great grand children as well as us
sure enjoyed that. we Have over a 100 Lbs of honey all total in brood section and all over 30 lbs in a honey section full
but not capped yet above the queen exclude-er.we put a second frame bodied for honey on above that.still plenty of clover and soybeans blooming so they will make more. May be able to rob up to a hundred lbs off in august and leave plenty for the bees to survive winter. Have a great day.

Lloyd

phyllis

So glad to have you check in, Lloyd.  Do you sell your honey?  If you do I would love to be around there when you put your honey up for sale.  We have several local bee keepers here and I always look for their honey.  Local honey is so much better than that from large commercial companies.

Jackie, I agree....the whole thing of what kind of bacon in what country is called is really confusing.   ???  What we in the States call Canadian Bacon is not called that in Canada!  But whatever it is called it is good, much leaner than our regular bacon...and more expensive, too!

Going to be very hot here today and when it is like this with the high humidity we have daily afternoon thunderstorms. 

I agree, Jeanne Lee, online grocery shopping is confusing.  And, I am a "touchy/feely" person that likes to touch, smell, and thoroughly inspect fresh produce.  When the time comes that I can no longer make it through the grocery store, even with my son's help, I'll have to go on-line.  I'm sure it will be just as frustrating to me as it is to you.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Gloria

Good morning everyone, think it was a little after 8 last night when I headed for dreamland and boy do I know it this morning. Got cool overnight so woke an the cold side and grabbed a blanket and went back to sleep. Just heard it was in the 50's. I think that will be the last of cool temperatures.

CALLIE  after reading how the lady adjusted your rollator I noticed more how mine were and that is like mine is, with my arms bent at the elbow they are straight out to the handles.

GLORIA de  anything to keep us moving and waking is a big help. I would not want to be in a wheelchair but we never know what the future holds for us.

JEANNE LEE  when I order groceries online I never order produce, but will get dairy. They keep thing cold in their trucks. If I need produce or meat my son will get it for me. He was doing my shopping for me before I moved here. At times I send my CNA to the market for a couple of things.  Works for me but I do miss going to the market to see what is new or what might tempt me.

JOAN  from PeaPod (they work with the Stop&Shop markets) where I order online it is $6.95 if over $100. That is where I order my Ensure and bulky things and paper or cleaning products.

HAL  there are a lot of seniors in this state and many have no way of getting out so they need more delivery service. Most do not have computers so the few places that deliver they cannot use. They depend on family members for help.

JUNE  glad you went down for lunch and the movie. I make sure I go out every day if only to sit on the porch and visit with others out there. If it is raining there is always someone on the main floor. Either doing laundry, checking mail, in the library or the lobby. Many years ago I read something about letting a day go by without talking to at least one other person is a wasted day. Guess I paid attention to that remark. There are a few here that seldom leave their apartments and only have the TV for company.

JACKIE  interesting  about the difference of Canadian bacon.  I know ours looks like ham and lean and delicious but quite expensive.

JOAN  you know me, cannot pass a lemon DD or maybe 2. My CNA asked me yesterday before going to the market asked me if I wanted a lemon DD and I passed. There is a DD near the market. She knows hat I like and usually have on the list I give her. If I forget something she will call from the market and ask if I want or need it. If my daughter was still working she really would have loved today's chuckle especially if the was principal instead of superintendent. Never Give Up is something none of us should do. Thank you for all today's goodies and all you do looking roar everything you post to start the day here in the best forum on the web.

AMY  I like the raspberry DD's too but the lemon is my favorite. I did leave some for Linedancer -Gloria de. Humidity will be picking up tomorrow here. Was great while it was low. Hope the doctor visit has good news for you DH.

JANE  this cooler weather has been a gift. Glad you found a good yard man. These days not many really work hard, always taking a break.

LLOYD  glad you finally let us know you are OK.  Only one year was my son able to get enough honeycomb from his hives to make honey. Had some bad years around here when the honey bees were dying.

PHYLLIS  produce is something I have always been fussy about. My son is the only one I trust to get bananas for me. He know I don't like them too ripe but with a bit of green on the ends.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Nice to see Lloyd in here this morning.  Lloyd you made my mouth water talking about the honey.  Some say it is good for you if you suffer from allergies, suppose to build up your immune system.

Our weather is more of the same, hot and dry.  But did get the grass watered yesterday and called my yard guy and he will be by tomorrow morning to cut it.

Not much of tap today.  Son n law will be over to finish power washing in the front.  Got patio done yesterday.  Looks nice.

Joanie, weather guy said something about a depression in the Gulf but I didn't pay much attention.  Maybe we will get some rain from that, some time or other.
But looks like we are going to get some Saharan dust which will make things hazy.  As if we didn't have enough of our own....

Janie, nice that you found the young guy.  I think a young person could make a fairly good living (in the summer) doing yard work.  Although my yard guy told me last night when I talked to him most of his customers say that it has been so hot and dry that their yard isn't growing.  Sure not a problem for my back yard.
In you part of the world I suppose they could switch to snow removal in the winter months.

Everyone Have a great day.

JoanFL

Janie--I'd say he is a "keeper", too.

Good morning, Lloyd.  Glad to know you are OK.  You sure have been busy.

Phyllis--Good morning.  These hot and humid days I don't venture out very often.

Good morning, Gloria.  You passed up a lemon DD?  Oh my!!:)

halkel--Good morning.  I didn't hear anything about a depression in the Gulf, but I know we've had NO rain, and it's hot and humid.

JaneS

Hal, most of the yard guys do switch to snow removal in the winter.  They all have working trucks and it's not hard to attach a snow plow. 

Sam is going to mow my grass, also.  He'll bring his own mower at first and when they go on sale, I'll buy one.  Things are definitely looking up as far as yard work is concerned. 

Jeanne Lee

Well, I've placed an order.  I think.  I thought I was confused before, but when I decided to go for the Prime trial it got even more so.   :o  I guess the answer will come when the order is delivered - or not delivered.

Gloria, the dairy and other perishables will have to be purchased at a local store, none available for shipping.  We do have several stores that will take an order and have it ready for pick up, but the pick up is an additional problem for me.  Oh well, the Lord isn't going to let me starve and I can of course get five meals a week from Meals on Wheels.  I'm sure it will take a little time to get these things all straightened out.   :thumbup:

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JoanFL

Janie--That will work.

Good morning, Jeanne Lee.  It is confusing when you have to change your way of doing things.  I am sure you'll be satisfied with Prime.  Would it be possible to have a friend pick up perishables when they do their own grocery shopping?

JaneS

JeanneLee, if I were the one needing the groceries, AND if I were the one doing the shopping for someone else, I think the following would work...

I'd keep an ongoing list of what I need and I'd ask a daughter or friend to call me when she's leaving for the store.  Then I'd call and place the order, pay with my card and ask them to have it ready for my friend to pick up when she finishes her shopping.  This would save the friend the inconvenience of having to do someone else's shopping and I wouldn't mind if I were either the shopper or the "shopee".  I'll think about that a bit and see if I can find any pros or cons. 

larryhanna

Hi everyone on another soon to be 100 degree day here in South Carolina.  It has been a very busy morning after waking at 1:30 am and not being able to go to sleep.  I continued to rest in bed until 5:30 then got up and shaved and showed and then laid back down and read my email and the message boards on my iPhone.  I got up and did my normal morning chores plus a couple of others.  I just got back from a quick trip to Walmart to pick up more medicine for Pat that wasn't ready when I picked up some yesterday for her. 

My medical tests went well.  The Echo and ultra sound tests were done back to back and I didn't even have to move other that what was required for the test.  Then I had to wait may 45 minutes or so for the PET scan of my heart, which took about 45 minutes.  The worst of the test was having to keep my arms above my head for 30 minutes and my right arm went to sleep and I had to ask the tech to help me lower it.  It will be a couple of weeks before I will hear the results of the tests when I again see the Cardiologist. 

After I finished the tests I went about a mile further up the road to Shane's BBQ and had good meal.  I also brought home a pulled pork plate for Pat's evening meal.  Since it was after 3 pm when I ate I certainly didn't want any supper. 

I am expecting to have a quiet remainder of the day working this morning on projects in my office, then taking the afternoon and evening just resting and relaxing. 

Joan, I got to lay down for the tests so they weren't hard to take.  I did get a little lost in trying to find the office as they have removed the street sign I was looking for so was a couple of minutes late but all was well.  The home ower is responsible for their own sprinkler system. 

Gloria, you are probably much better off with the roilator you bought yourself rather than let someone else pick out what they think you need.  Fortunately I don't get hungry easily so waiting until mid-afternoon to eat yesterday was no problem.  I did have a bowl of peaches yesterday evening and then we finished them up this morning and they were SO good.

Jackie, I hope your new Prime Minister will be as good and as stronga  leader as Margaret Thatcher was.  Glad you like your new lights and the dimmer switch is a nice fixture.  We had that in our dining room in our previous home but not here.

Lloyd, I am thankful you are all right and have just been busy.  A very interesting post about the bees and other activities that have been keeping you busy.  I think we were all worried about you. 

JaneS, it sounds like you have a Gem in your new person doing your lawn. 

JoanFL

Janie--That sounds like a good plan for Jeanne Lee.

Larry--Sorry you sleep was interrupted last night.  Great that your tests went well.  I pray all the results will be satisfactory.

Lindancer

Good afternoon, I think this will be the last pleasant day. Still in the 70, and a nice breeze coming in where I am setting.  the humidity is high to day.

Gloria, thanks for leaving me a DD. I also buy my bananas on the green side. There was always fresh honey on the table when I was growing up. I also got and orange egg nog for breakfast, when I was growing up.  Had a raw egg in it and I am still here.

Joan thanks for good reading.

Jane, someone who would help with gardens would do well here. I wish I had someone to use a regular mower.  Since the men mow who come in are on those stand up mower, and they are to fast, they tear up the lawn, where they stop and turn. Our lawn use to be beautiful when my husband took care of it.  We even won Yard of the Month. The park give a prize ($50.)  for the best front yard

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

June Drabek

Good Morning from Stanton, Ca. Sun is trying to break through the clouds, but I am not pushing it. I like cool and cloudy mornings in the summer time. The heat comes soon enough.

Lloyd it is good to see you, and know you are O.K.

Jeanne Lee, I get tired out every time I do my on-line shopping, but at least I can take my time, walk away if I get weary, and the order stays in my shopping cart. Every store has their own limitations, so we have to go with the flow, and shopping on line is much preferable than having someone do the shopping for us.

Larry I am happy your tests went so smoothly, and I hope the results will be the very best of news.

Today is our creative writing class, followed by mobility and balance exercises. Other than that, and meals, I am on my own today. Which will mean reading and dozing, which I relish and do best.

Gloria, I make myself get out and walk if there is nothing else scheduled for the day. It would be so easy to just give up and do nothing, but that is foolish. We never know what surprises life has in store for us, right around the corner, so we have to get ourselves to that corner to discover what is there.

Hal, a shame you are expecting a dust storm after you have a fresh power wash of the house. Be sure your windows are closed up tight.

Time to get the bed made and myself dressed and get the day started, and take that first walk-around. See you all later. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.