Random Image

MaryAnns new twin babies

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Marilyne, it doesn't sound true, more alarmist and self promoting but in today's world who knows? Look at what approved fracking has caused!

https://researchguides.journalism.cuny.edu/c.php?g=547454&p=4256119

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/01/14/fake-news-sites/

Mary Ann

Patricia and MarsGal, I wish my dad was able to talk with you on those subjects.  He did a lot of reading about many things and was interested in science.  I have a smattering of interest in it but I wouldn't dare to get into a conversation with anyone.  With my lesser eyesight, I do little reading these days as it is very hard to read, especially early in the morning and in the late afternoon to evening. 

I am watching the Weather Channel now and it interests me that every storm is the "biggest", this one is the biggest of the season.  I think the bulk of the storm will miss us, but we never know.  From radar views, it seems lower Michigan will get some snow but not as far north as we are.  Tom went to the store so we have enough to eat.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

...so what else haven't we learned? How to make practical use out of it all, maybe?

Marilyne, Firstenberg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Firstenberg is something of a crusader against devices that give off electro-magnetic energy especially at the microwave level. He came to his beliefs through a personal experience noted in the Wikipedia article. While I am sure he has done some research into the subject to bolster his claims, he does not appear to be grounded in formal education and research, This is not to say he is completely off base, The issue of microwaves possibly causing cellular damage is still an ongoing matter of research and debate,although, for the most part, results have been inconclusive.
https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org/health-tips/microwave-radiation/

Marilyne

Thanks to everyone for your comments on the article. I thought it was interesting when I read it, and sounded like one of those predictions that actually could come true, in the distant future. Even though the scientific community, in general, most likely scoffs at the danger, you can't help wondering how satellites, bombarding the earth with microwaves, could possibly be a good thing?  In any event, none of us here in S&F will be around to find out.

Mary Ann - It's always the "coldest January on record!", or the "warmest January on record!" . . . the worst ice storm, the deepest snowpack, the strongest hurricane, the highest waves, etc. etc. etc. I wonder if maybe the instruments they use now for measuring all of these weather events, are just more advanced and accurate than they were in the past?   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I do believe advanced technical equipment does allow the operators to predict better than previously, however, they also have records back to before 1900 to know how many inches of snow (or rain) fell in a certain period of time.  I can't believe we've gotten to 2019 to have the biggest storms of all times, at least not in the last 125 years.  We are in the age of exaggeration.

I know we'll get some snow, but not as much as counties and states south of us. 

I watched most of Wheel of Fortune, then turned off Jeopardy because it is a repeat from last year.  Then it dawned on me that Wheel started off with 35th anniversary and they are at 36 years now.  I know they film several programs at a time and I don't want to deny them vacations, but I don't like to watch them a second time, even when I don't remember having seen the first one.  Picky, picky.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

https://www.superiortelegram.com/business/transportation/4555392-end-sight-shipping-season

The above link tells about the ships and end of shipping season.  This is from the Superior WI newspaper.  I'll see if I can get one from the Soo paper. 

(from the Soo paper)  https://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/20190111/winter-work-starts-on-soo-locks

Donklan, you got in a little late but shipping should resume in March.

Mary Ann

donklan

I've been fascinated for years by the Cams at Duluth Harbor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0etuKjikE

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

Mary Ann

I have that view but not that cam on my computer.  I also have several cams going into the Duluth Harbor and the Wisconsin Point (Superior) on my computer (with the  Duluth canal cam).  I like to watch the Two Harbor boat launch, especially in the summer.  I get a better view of any ships coming into Two Harbors on the Depot cam. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We are to have a cloudy and chilly day today.  I don't plan on getting out today as just not up to attending Church this morning.  Yesterday was really a down down.  I did attend my Saturday meeting yesterday but realized when I got there I should have stayed home.  I did watch several basketball games and also watched the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Cleveland Colts.  They were playing in Kansas City and my SIL said they had had 11 inches of snow and it was still snowing during the game although that had little impact on the game.

Mary Ann, have you thought about resetting the Windows 10 software?  You can do it without destroying your files although you should certainly back them up on the Cloud or a local medium before starting that action.  It does remove any of the programs you have installed so you will want to make note of what you have before starting the process.  It is a bit of work but I have done it several times on our computers.  I hope you didn't get too much snow yesterday.  You are certainly right about being in the age of exaggeration.

Marilyne, I seldom turn the TV on before three or four o'clock and then it is to a news program. On Saturday's and Sunday's I do turn it on around noon to watch some games.  I just no longer have any interest in the entertainment programs.  It sounds like our viewing habits are very similar.  Pat still enjoys a lot of the Hallmark movies.  It is a bit alarming when we realize that things we have had all of our married life could be considered antique.  I never turn my cell phone off except to reset it occasionally if I find something not working like it should. 

MarsGal, yes I was speaking of the adult coloring books that were such a rage for awhile. 

Patricia, it sounds like you are expecting a real heat wave if it gets up to zero today.  It is nice you have such wide interests.  I always enjoy the documentaries that I watch on TV and do have wide interests.  It has been my plan before I retired that once I retired I would audit some University classes, which seniors could do without charge and they didn't have to take exams as I have always liked learning and knew I didn't need anymore degrees. You are certainly right about being in the age of exaggeration. I think the weekend programs of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are always repeats.  I don't mind watching the repeats.

Joy

I am late getting into the S & F today.

Had a very slow morning.  Now I see it is lunch time, so have to look for something to eat.

My grandson was bringing the little girls down today, but we do have about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground, and it is still snowing a little bit.  I didn't feel all that chipper and with the snow, I called him to see if they might be able to come next week end.  The girls were going to be happy that they were going to be able to go out and play in the snow.

I haven't really got to moving around that well yet, so maybe a good lunch will perk me up.

Hope everyone will have a great rest of the day

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Joy - I'm Sorry that you aren't feeling well this morning.  I hope that after lunch, you began to perk up and feel much better.  I seem have those "off" days, more and more.  Lately it's been my eyes that are bothering me a lot.  I think the drops are no longer working for my glaucoma.  Keep us posted on how you're feeling.

Mary Ann - I haven't seen a message from you today, so hope that you're doing okay, and just spending more time at the Cholesterol Pit?  This cold and damp Winter weather is not agreeing with a lot of us here on S&F.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I wrote a longish message earlier today at the same time Tom was doing something with the modem as he has upgraded our service by going from AT&T to Comcast/Infinity.  I was almost done when he told me he might be disconnecting me and I asked him to wait until I posted my message.  He thought it wouldn't bother my post.  Even so, I went to copy my post and could not, so I tried to save it and got the message "save the page" which I did.  When he was finished, I went back, got online OK, but - no message.  So I went elsewhere and just came back. 

I did watch as Paul went through the Soo on his/her way to Ashtabula OH, probably for two months.  His wife, Lee, will be in Duluth.  I noticed only three ships for Duluth today and two for Superior, none for the other ports.  The 15th is Tuesday.

I'm sorry Joy doesn't feel too good and also Larry.  I hope both of you feel better tomorrow.  Joy, if your great-grandsons visit you next week, you still should have snow - maybe more.  I'm glad I don't live in Missouri.  The sun is shining here but it is cold  - about 30 degrees.  Brr.       

I have no idea what I said previously and I'm not going to try to reconstruct it.

Mary Ann

Joy

Mary Ann, yes, I have already seen where we might get more snow next weekend.  This seems to happen every year.  My grandson only gets his girls on the week ends, and it seems they never get their Christmas presents until well after the holidays.  I do send them all money, but I do like to have a  little something for then to open.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

This is a brilliant story that is hitting our newspapers, I first saw this in our local Dorset Echo this week...The legendary Glen Millers plane may have been spotted not too far from us, on the adjacent small Island of Portland ( English Channel )...I find this fascinating as where we used to live in Bedfordshire was the home to where he and his plane took off from on his fatal journey, ( Twinwood )....How strange, that now where I live 171 miles apart, maybe the place of the burial ground of his plane, Glen Miller and his flight crew...If you look at the map below you will see how close ( Weymouth ).....Link...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6577185/Experts-believe-wreckage-Glenn-Millers-wartime-plane.html
" There is no present like the time "

Joy

Good morning.  It is a sunny morning, with snow still clinging to the pine trees across the driveway from me.  It is very cold, so I am sure it will hang on for a while.  Supposed to be cold all week with more snow predicted for the weekend.

Jackie, that is a really interesting article.  Glen Miller used to be one of my favorite musician and always loved all his songs.  I hope these men will try to continue on their quest to be able to identify the plane.  I guess there are members of his family still living that would love to have this information.

I have had my breakfast and just fooling around here for a little while.  I still have a couple places to check out.

Hope everyone will have a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Jackie, I found that article interesting too.  I guess I had not read enough about his plane crash because I thought he was over the continent and crashed into a mountain somewhere.  It interested me, too, that the page shown was dedicated to US news. 

We are still in the low 20s and it will remain that way all week. 

Tom is teaching today and he said he is going to teach twice a week the rest of the school year.  Not only that he is going to concentrate on middle schools and the students are more interesting and he can actually teach.  The older students mostly have subjects that are computer driven and there is nothing for the sub teacher to do except maintain discipline. And, he says, that isn't always easy!

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is going to be another overcast and pretty chilly day.  We didn't get out of the house yesterday and I doubt we do today.  I am feeling some better this morning so hope to have a good day.  A friend will be here later this morning to work with me for an hour.  I have nothing else on the schedule for today so it should be a pretty quiet day.

Joy, I hope you got perked up yesterday.  I expect most of us that grew up where there was snow remember how much fun it was to get out and play in it and then we would come in the house half frozen.  I just bet your great grands will be happy to get their presents regardless of the date.

Marilyne "off days" seem to be the norm for me the last few weeks.  I keep hopeful that this is not the new norm however just have little strength or endurance.  I just fixed Pat's breakfast and it left me exhausted.

Mary Ann, when you went back to get your saved message did you click on the link to retrieve the message?  I expect you did but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask as this is a new feature.  I am also glad I don't live in Missouri or around Washington, D.C..  I just saw the notice that they had closed the Federal Government for today due to the snow. 

Jackie, interesting story about the Glen Miller plane.  I had forgotten about that being the way he died.  That was a little plane.

Mary Ann

Larry, it's good to see you feel a bit better and I do hope this is not a new norm for you. 

No, I did not click on the new feature to retrieve my message.  Tom was working just as I was ready to save it and it did not get saved.  What came up was "save this page" and I clicked on that in lieu of anything better.  It went into Documents and when I went to get it, there was nothing there at all.  So you missed another book!

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

I once went to one of Twinwood Airfields Glen Miller Orchestra music festivals several years ago, neither of us dressed up in costumes 1940s, nor danced, cant do the jive, jitterbug nor lindy hop...just watched, enjoyed, took in the fun, and walked around the airfield, museums, motors, militaria and hanger sheds......Links...

https://www.twinwoodfestival.com/gallery/2018/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiYQTe2-DNk&feature=youtu.be

Mary Ann

Jackie, that is quite a poster for the festival. I liked hearing the Glenn Miller sound; of course, I can get out records of my own to listen to - but don't.

Thanks for the memory!

Mary Ann[/b
]

Marilyne

Jackie - I LOVED looking at those pictures from the festival!  If we had a festival like that anywhere in the US, I'm sure my husband and I would have been in attendance.  AJ played trumpet in a Big Band dance band for many years.  The music they played was mostly swing, from the War years, which included the 30's, 40's and some 50's ballads.  We both loved to dance, but couldn't handle in now.  I'd still like to sit and watch . . . the clothes, the music, the wonderful attitude of the people!
I'm going to check Facebook, and see if there's a Twinwood Festival group, I can join.

Very interesting news about possibly finding the remains of the Glenn Miller plane.  I will be looking for more news on that story. Lots of speculation here, as to what happened to the plane, so long long ago. Not many left who even know what they're talking about.   

Vanilla-Jackie

If you click on the first picture, it will bring up the photo large, then you can view every photo ( 100 of them ) in full screen by clicking the above forward arrow - gallery....

donklan

Just curious whether anyone else watched "VALLEY OF THE BOOM" last night on the NAT GEO channel.
It was very fascinating as it detailed the birth of our internet, starting with the old Netscape browser.
It is a 6 part series with the first two being shown last night.

angelface555

For January 20th, A Super Wolf Blood Moon for those in areas other than Asia or the Arctic Circle

"The super blood wolf moon of 2019 will take place late on January 20th and/or January 21st, depending on your time zone. According to National Geographic, totality will begin at 11:41 p.m. EST on January 20th and is expected to last for 62 minutes. That said, they note that the entire event will last for three and a half hours."

https://www.countryliving.com/life/a25804978/super-blood-wolf-moon-january-2019/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_clg&utm_medium=email&date=011419&src=nl&utm_campaign=15679668

Vanilla-Jackie

We are due to see the Super Blood Moon 21st January, here in ( UK )

Mary Ann

Don, I did not watch the Valley of the Boom last night.  I don't get a TV Guide or newspaper to know what's on.  To tell the truth, last night I watched the Golf Channel with the Tour from Hawaii, which is why it was on so late.

Tom just got home and didn't have a really good day subbing.  He had 8th graders and one boy lipped off so Tom finally called the Principal who straightened the kid out. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

From Jack in Computers Q&A replying to Don's post

donklan, I did not see, but checked good old google and utube.  The first two episodes are available, the first at the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokhxBSYp_8

Marilyne

Don - Thanks for the info on "Valley of the Boom".  Both my husband and I would like to see it, andI'm sure it is replaying on Nat Geo, in the next week, so I'll go there and record it on my DVR. 

Mary Ann - Sorry that Tom's day at school was not a good one.  I remember way back when I was in school, that the classroom tended to be a little  disruptive when we had a substitute teacher.  However, no student ever gave any "back-talk" to the teacher!  We had respect for any teacher, anyone in authority, or any adult, in those long ago days. 

donklan

When watching this program, you realize none of us would be visiting and chatting today if it weren't for those early internet pioneers.
The first two episodes are available (commercial free) on YOUTUBE.
Bill Gates is about to enter the scene in the third episode.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is another cloudy morning and still chilly outside.  I am late getting here this morning as slept in until about 8:15 and would have slept longer except Pat woke me up.  My friend was here to work with me at 9 so didn't have any time to spare but did get my breakfast eaten.  There is nothing else on the schedule for today although I am hopeful that we can get out and go to Ruby Tuesday's for their $5 salad buffet, which makes a very good main meal.

Mary Ann, sorry we missed your "book" when you couldn't recall your posting.  Sorry to hear that Tom didn't have a good day subbing. 

Jackie, Does the festival still feature the music and sound of the Glen Miller orchestra?  I see what you mean by costumes.  It looks like that festival has remained very popular.  Interesting pictures and I see what looks like other more current acts as well as the orchestra. 

Marilyne, I bet you have heard a lot of live orchestra music over the year with your husband playing in a dance band. 

Don, I did see that National Geographic program advertised but I didn't watch it.  I remember the old Netscape browser.  Patricia, thanks for your research and finding these programs are available on YouTube.  You can't beat watching the program commercial free. 

Patricia, I doubt that we will get to see the blood moon as we are predicted to be having rain and cloudy weather by then.