Random Image

DSCF0374.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joy

Good morning. A very slow morning here in the "bait shop".  Guess it is too cold to go fishing. LOL

Nothing exciting going on in my little corner of the world.  Except it is VERY COLD  And, they still are calling for another big snow storm this week end.  I think they mentioned possible 2 different storms making their way across the country.

If any of you have Amazon Prime,  I would like to suggest  that you watch a movie that I watched last night.  If you are feeling kind of down or just want something to cheer you up,  you might want to watch "One Special Night" with James Garner and Julie Andrews.  Now, you know you can't hardly ask for any better than those two wonderful actors.  It is a little bit sad, but the story line is so comforting that it kind of minimizes the sad parts.  It really made me feel so good last night after I watched it.  A very beautiful story. 

I hope everyone is doing well this morning, and just haven't gotten up to posting anything here.  Seems odd that it is so quiet so late in the morning.

Have a wonderful day.!

Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

Good Morning, Larry.  Looks like we were both writing our messages at the same time.  I guess you must have really needed that extra sleep.  Hope you are feeling better now that you are up and about.

I do hope that you get to go to Ruby Tuesday's for their salad buffet.  I will have to check and see if our local Ruby Tuesday's have that.  I like most any kind of salad, so I probably would like it.  Haven't been there for a longtime.  Will have to look it up.  There is one in the next little town from me.

Hope you are feeling better  and have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy and Larry, I'm here, but no one else has been here this morning, at least no one to reply to.  I'm thinking about what I want for lunch.  After lunch, I'll go to the eye doctor (optometrist) and she'll probably tell me I have an increase in both glaucoma and mac-d, which will be no surprise, but disappointing.  I put drops in my eyes religiously and take Ocuvite twice a day in hopes something would slow down. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a zeroed out Interior. For the past couple of days, we have had lows of minus four and highs of zero. While the rest of the week will be warm, late Friday and the weekend will be back in the minuses. However, the following Wednesday will again turn to plus with a plus eighteen.

Larry, re the Nat. Geo. program, the only research I did was noticing Don's post about the program in Computer questions. I reposted that here with an explanation.

I don't have anything scheduled today but more classes. I took off Sunday and Monday for a break, but don't want to get behind.

Farrah has taken to laying next to the window on a small shelf. She not only enjoys the view but doing so also gives her that higher perch that her instincts call for.

Marilyne

Don - We plan to watch Valley of the Boom, On Demand, tonight, before the hockey game.  It is impossible for either AJ or I to enjoy a show on YouTube, as we both need closed captions, and a comfortable chair to sit on!. Many people who have cable, don't realize that you can watch all of the channels (except for Premium) free On Demand, and that you can fast forward through the commercials.  No need to sit in front of your computer on YouTube to watch the rerun of any show on cable.

I went to Nat'l Geo, and see that Boom is a series of about ten one hour shows.  They are all available now, so you can "binge watch", if you like or watch one whenever you feel like it.

Mary Ann - I think I'm having some set-backs with my glaucoma, I think.  I use the Timolol, drops, but I'm not as good as you are about remembering.  I never forget a medication that I have to swallow, but the drops are often forgotten.  I've placed a Post-It note on the computer, and on the cupboard where I store the drops, as a reminder!

angelface555

Marine maps and traffic sites for the Great Lakes area between Canada and USA

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-83.2/centery:42.5/zoom:7

JeanneP

Bob Ross the painter is still on our PBS station a few times a week.
I wish they would take off all those people who died years ago. Such as he and Julia Childs is another one. I can think of a dozen people.
That and all the pledging they have on. For months most everything on are Repeat shows.  Although I did enjoy watching  "Call the Midwife"and" Great British Baking" And Downton Abbey which is showing the last series this week. I don't remember if another series coming.
I think "Victoria " has a new one starting soon but I believe another women playing Victoria
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...Quoting:  " Jackie, Does the festival still feature the music and sound of the Glen Miller orchestra? "

Yes, the Glen Miller Orchestra is usually playing at the venue on the Sunday...

Do you all remember the Benny Goodman - The Dorsey Brothers, Tommy and Jimmy - Count Bassie Orchestras?...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, how could we forget those long-ago popular band leaders.  Strange how things have gone down hill since they were popular.  It is fun to watch Jeopardy on TV and see the younger contestants pass on questions about the bands of yesterday.

I am missing the ships already although I saw from Patricia's link that a couple of ships were still in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.  When every ship is settled, the Soo will undergo repairs; I don't know what kind, but I am sure there is wear and tear. 

I had my session with the eye doctor this afternoon.  She is very thorough and I like her but she has gone as far as she can as to improving my vision.  She did say I do not have mac-d now and my glaucoma has advanced very slowly.  So that was good news.  She dilated my pupils and they still are not back to normal and that will take a while.  I can see - but "just".

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Joy, I didn't know that Julie Andrews and James Garner did any movies together other than Victor/Victoria which was hilarious.

Jackie, I remember them, but wasn't too keen on Big Band. I did like to occasionally listen to or watch on TV Les and Larry Elgart, Louis Armstrong, Dizzie Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Buddy Rich (I saw him in person), Stan Kenton,and Count Basie. I think it is mostly swing I didn't care for too much, come to think of it. When I got really interested in jazz, it was the likes of Herby Mann, Vince Gauraldi and Paul Desmond that started me off. Then I went big on 'Space Ambient' for a while. I don't listen to much jazz any more, but I never stopped listening to Classical music which has always been my first love.

Not much going on today. I did some minor grocery shopping this morning. The rest of the day has been reading, playing on the computer and a little housework.

I am waiting to see what the weather brings us snow-wise Thursday and again Saturday. The second one has the potential, so says this morning's report, of dumping lots of snow on us.

Lindancer

Good evening
JeanneP, I watched the new Victoria Sunday night, with the same cast. the show that flowed was a different cast, about the wedding

MaryAnn, I missed you this morning.  I have the same eye problems you have. I saw the doctor lat week, he said at my age not to worry. Maybe he thinks I am not going to live that long :) I have been posting and wondered were my message went. Now dummy has figured out when it says someone else posted before me, I am supposed to go  back post again. I guess i am just a slow learner ::)

Patricia thanks for the map.  Taffy likes to lay by the sliding glass door and try to chase the squirrels

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Gloria, I'm selfish and when I get the message about another's post, I just click a few times on Post of my own message and it posts.  Then I read the other message.  If I want to make a response, I can always Quick Edit to add something, then Save.

The drops still have not worn off my eyes and when my screen comes up very white, I almost cannot see, especially when someone has not posted in BOLD.  I tried to change the background and I may have done it for the computer but not for S&F.

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

Have you tried highlighting the text you want to read? It makes the background darker.

Joy

Good morning.  A very cold morning here, and, lots of bad weather predicted for the rest of the week and the week end.  Maybe if we are lucky, we might just get rain.  Already wishing for Spring to hurry up.!

MarsGal, if you get a chance, try to watch the movie I mentioned.  "One Special Night".   It was one of the best movies I have ever seen.  A real nice "old time" movie from our generation.  Nothing like the ones that come out now. I don't know when the last time I went out to a movie.  I was thinking that it might be nice to see the new "Mary Poppins" movie that is out now.  A friend told me that she went with her grandchildren to see it and she really enjoyed it.  Being with the little ones always makes a day out nicer.

I hope everyone will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

Gloria,  I did find the movie I mentioned "One Special Night"  on  YouTube.  If you get a chance, try to watch it. I know you will enjoy it.  I did not know you could get movies on YouTube, so thanks for making that known. I will have to remember that for the future.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Bubble, I hadn't tried to highlight text I couldn't read, but I realize in trying to BOLD the message, I was highlighting it - and not accomplishing anything!  I'll try it next time to see if it helps.  Thanks.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is a beautiful and sunny Wednesday morning with not a cloud to be seen.  I have another friend coming to work with me in less than an hour.  Then this evening we will go to the Church for our Wednesday night dinner and hopefully get an update on the surgery our pastor was to have today in Mayo's.  Then we expect that Scott will come out to visit for awhile.  That will be plenty for today with what I have already done this morning.

Joy, Pat's sister said they are expecting three more storms with the last one on Saturday or Sunday the worst with very cold temperatures.  We did enjoy the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday's.  They have a lot of seniors there each time and it was around 2:30 pm before we got their and had to wait for them to clear a table.  I did have a pretty good day yesterday.  I don't have much energy this morning.  The last movie I went to was "Titanic" and that was many years ago.

Patricia, it sounds like you have a pretty busy class schedule. 

Marilyne, sure a good idea to post yourself some notes about your eye drops. 

JeanneP, my wife watched the "Call the Midwife" show and I know our son liked the "Great British Baking" show and he likes the Gordon Ramsey cooking shows. 

Jackie, thanks for the info on the Glen Miller playing their annually.  I do remember the other big bands you listed. 

Mary Ann, I would have no clue on the Jeopardy questions about today's music and musicians.  I haven't heard of most of the musicians. Really good news from your eye doctor, especially the part about not having mac-d now.  I didn't know it would ever disappear. 

MarsGal, jazz is one of the few music styles that I do not like.  I have no idea what 'Space Ambient' type music is. 

Lindancer, glad you figured out why your messages are disappearing.  After I hit the post button and it appears the message has posted I try to scrool down to see if someone has posted in between and mine hasn't yet posted.  If so I read the new posting(s) and add to my posting and then hit the post button again and scroll down until I see the posting box and nothing else after my posting. 

Mary Ann, your way works as well.  It is misleading because you see your own message as it will appear but it hasn't actually posted at that point if someone else has posted in between.

Mary Ann

Larry, looking at the Weather Channel, we will be in the 30s until the weekend and Saturday night it will be 5 degrees and our high on Sunday will be 15.  We haven't been that low this season.  Reading the local news, I see there have been some fender-benders.  The Police Dept is requesting people not to call 911 for a fender-bender - probably too many as there have been some serious accidents too.

I don't have a clue about today's music questions on Jeopardy - and young contestants have no clue about older music.  Even Alex Trebek has to smile at their lack of knowledge.

Larry, if someone posts while I am typing, when I hit Post, there is a message across the top of my screen that someone posted and that is when I hit Post again several times so my message gets posted - then I read the other new message. 

I find I am not interested in movies any more - new or old.  For one thing, I am not going to sit and watch a movie for an hour or two. 

My eyes are still sensitive to the bright white of the screen.  I did change the screen background color, but it doesn't work all over, and not in S&F.  It will improve!

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Larry, Space Ambient, a subgenre of New Age music, is electronic music with a spacey sound. Can be a bit repetitious, and minimalist. John Serrie is one of my favorites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIPOEH_BE8

Other New Age/Space ambient artists I like are Mike Oldfield, Steve Roach, David Helpling, Vangelis, Raphael, Tangerine Dream, and Constance Demby. You might say some is meditative or dreamy. I know you've heard some of these artists.

Constance Demby's works are more spiritual in nature. I have this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPoBEfCaG10

Vangelis writes a lot of music for film, including Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner. This one he wrote for the European Space Agency:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJrUnzLsmZk

Raphael: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bLDIfh22uM

I haven't heard these in quite a while. I'll have to change out my classical music CD's to listen to some of these soon.

MarsGal

Mary Ann, my eyes have gotten sensitive to bright light too. I've gone back to the newest iteration of photo-grey glasses, Transitions, to help with that. I attribute it to my dry eye syndrome and staying out ot the sun too much, so that my eyes got too used to the pooreer indoor light.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, my problem yesterday was the dilation of my eyes and it takes a while to get back to normal after that.  I think in a way, I still have a bit of the dilation liquid in my eyes.  Right now, I am sitting beside a window where the sun is shining in and it will get worse before it gets better, so I will quit computing for a while.  At my age, my eyes do not get back to whatever is normal as soon as they used to. 

I'm happy I got this far in life, especially feeling as good as I do, but the Golden Years are not Golden, they're Rust!

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Not much happening here in the Pan Handle besides the cold weather, but it is sunny!  We will have highs in the 50s.  We live close to a bombing range and we did hear some loud booms a little earlier, but now everything is quiet.  It seems a strange coincidence but when we lived in Ocala we also were close to a bombing range in the Ocala National Forest, but not as close and didn't hear the loud booms as we do here occasionally.  On the whole we live in a very quiet neighborhood.

Larry, glad you are feeling better.  I think your weather seems similar to ours.  Mary Ann. I'm sure high 50s sounds pretty warm to you for winter weather.  However, my daughter was saying this morning that we are going to see some 20 degree nights by Monday.  I can remember that we did have some 20 degrees in Ocala and used to cover the plants and orange tree.  We don't have many plants here and what we do have are close to the house, but LarryJoe will be wrapping the outdoor spigots and putting the Christmas cactus and poinsettias in the garage.

Joy, hope you are feeling OK.  I bought one of those Instant Pots and have only used it once.  I probably should look at some of those videos and get some ideas, but my husband is a picky eater that I don't have much incentive to cook many of the recipes with just me eating.  I should have thought of that before I spent the money. 🥺. My daughter bought a glass cover for her Instant Pot and my son-in-law (who does most of the cooking) uses it as a crockpot.  He is a good cook but just doesn't get into pressure cooking.  They've tried "Hello Fresh" a few times and that made cooking after working all day a little easier.

Marilyne, are you all still getting some rain?  There isn't much news about the fire victims.  I did hear that the Administration was going to cut off FEMA funds.  We don't even get much news about the local victims of the hurricane.  I feel so sorry for what all these people are going through.  Their lives will never be the same.

Well, I better get busy on a few chores.

Joy

Jean, Thank you for asking about how I feel. I am doing ok, just get so tired and have very little motivation. But, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I have not used the Instant Pot yet. I am waiting for a cookbook with recipes for the 3 qt. size.  You are supposed to do a water test first.  Haven't don't that either, yet.

I do have a couple recipes that I do want to try. One is the Chicken and Biscuit one that I mentioned before. I have everything to make it, but just have some other chores that I want to get out of the way so I can pay good attention to what I am doing with the IP.

I also want to get a spring-form pan to make a cheesecake, which I have heard is so good.  So, it will all come together sooner or later.

I need to get some lunch.  And, then tackle some laundry.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Good Morning to Joy, Larry, MarsGal, Jean and Mary Ann!  (Still morning here at 11:00 AM.)

Mary Ann - I do the same thing you do when I get the message that someone else has posted.  I impatiently keep hitting "POST", until it posts! I figure I can read the message later, of whoever posted. 

I agree with The Rust Years.  Every time something goes wrong, it usually can be fixed, but is never as good as it was before . . . eyes being a good example.  My husband AJ woke up this morning, and was unable to stand or put any weigh on his right leg/knee.  Knee problems have plagued him for many years, but he still insists on working on the cars, repairing appliances, installing water filter under the sink, etc.  - all of which cannot be done without getting up and down off his knees.  The past couple of days, he has replaced some parts in the clothes dryer, and put in a new filter under the sink.  Now he's paying for it!   Still - he will continue on with all those projects, as soon as he feels better.  It's very satisfying for him, to do those things himself, and it's worth it to him to take the chance.

Jean - we have "Hello Fresh" here too, as well as some other similar options.  So far we haven't tried any of them, but I think the time is drawing near.   As for the fire victims.  It's such a sad situation.  Many are living in FEMA trailers, but most have moved away to live with relatives, or are still staying in motels.  Most people are stuck, because it takes a long time for the insurance companies to look at each claim, and begin to pay the victims/survivors of these tragedies.   

JeanneP

My goodness. getting more of the Robo calls now on the pHone. Had 4 already today. I did pick up this time. Someone with a Indian accent wanting to talk about buying their medications. Some don't talk . Now I get just as many on my Mobile phone. I let that just ring. Had 12 on when looked the other day but only 1 left message.
Country has lots more problems that need fixing beside worry about the Mexican wall. Can't even fix the Telephones.

How I loved the US big bands that use to come to UK during the war. Would have things at the US bases and would play at the big Dance halls. Fact I went to hear Glenn Miller play a few days prior to him being shot down in the Chanel last days before the invasion to France. Saw lots of Movie Stars also.

MaryAnn. I just had my 3 week test at my Eye dr. the other day. The infection had gone. Still have to do the Dry eye drops 4 times a day.
Those i will be taking for ever I suppose. I also get good news on No other problem with eyes. Had my Cato's removed few years ago. so having to use drops no problem.
Next comes the Ear Dr. end of month. My primary did remover wax the other day but my Ear Dr. does it different and will do them again. This Is a yearly thing. I can tell it need doing .

Now on the show. Victoria on TV. I don't remember them showing the Wedding before. but the New series doesn't come on until March I thought. I thought they did say another women would be playing the Queen. Hope not as this one now does a great job. I have a hard time hearing what Prince Albert says though. He seems to mumble.She sure did have those babies. Seem like every year had one.
JeanneP

JeanneP

I notice that the time showing me posting is 6 hours ahead on it. It is 1:17pm now but it showing at 7:17pm. I sure don't know how to change it on S and F. It is correct on TaskBox bottom of my computer. It changes auto.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

Jeanne, I wouldn't worry about the time shown because it's been off on all accounts for a long time.  The time of your posting, shown at the top of the post, is correct as far as I know.  Yours shows 2:22 and that is MY time, so you posted it about 1:22 CT.

Because AT&T speed was too slow for Tom, I let him change our system to Comcast Infinity and we've had all sorts of problems.  Not with the changeover so much as connections here at home.  My phone did not work so Tom had to hook up the AT&T modem again.  I am not sure I am being billed right, but I sure appreciate having Tom here to do the calling about it.  On the other hand, if we hadn't changed, things would have been OK.  Nothing ever goes right the first time - or at least it seems.

Marilyn, I can sympathize with AJ and his knee problem.  I have arthritis in my knees and I can't get any "push" from them.  I do manage to go up the step to the little porch and into the house, but that is about all I can manage.  I can walk OK with walls for support!  I can walk to the mailbox across the road but there is no rise, it's all flat so I don't have trouble there - as long as I go slow.  Rust Years again!

Tom hasn't used our Instant Pot for a while, but he's gone so much it's hard to see if he doesn't want to use it or just doesn't have time.  He did fix a pot roast with carrots and potatoes once and it was delicious, much quicker than if he'd done it on the top of the range or in the oven.  He used it as a pressure cooker.  He made other things but I don't remember what, it's the pot roast that sticks on my mind.  Yummy!

Mary Ann

donklan

MarsGal....
I am a devoted fan of Vangelis and have been for over forty years.
Here are a couple of YOUTUBE links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYeDsa4Tw0c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFx3a7KfN0c

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

MarsGal

Wonderful, Donklan. I may have Hymne on one of my CD's; I've heard it before.

I never saw1492. It is one of Ridley Scott's earlier movies. He has produced so many super movies, and now I see that he is working on Empire of the Summer Moon, a book I have read and recommend for anyone interested in American expansion into the West and the conflicts with native Americans, particularly the Comanche.

shirleyn

Good morning to all.  So sorry I have not been in lately.  I have had a bad 10 days - weak and unsteady, as well a little depressed.  Yesterday was the first day I felt like myself again.  Next Tuesday is the last treatment, so it looks like another 2 or 3 weeks before I get back to normal.  I hope.  Just updating you all, so you won't think I have forgotten you.

shirleyn.
(~_~)