Random Image

Books

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

FlaJean, do you have any good word games sites for the computer? I too am addicted!

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a beautiful and sunny winter day here in South Carolina.  It is still a bit under freezing and will only get up to about 36 today.  I will be getting out and about today as plan on going to coffee and then to the Church for the Wisdom group and finally will stop at Walmart to pick up the online grocery order that will be waiting before I come home.  I don't need to pick up the old fellow I take to coffee with me as he has an appointment and can't go.  Yesterday afternoon we did meet Scott and Jennifer at the BBQ Barn for our evening meal.  While the food was good the restaurant was very cold.  We were glad to get back to the house where it was warm and enjoy a pleasant evening.  We were able to talk awhile with our great granddaughter and the youngest great grandson.  The two older boys chose not to talk. 

Joan, it is stressful to have others around when we are used to living alone or just with your spouse. 

Callie, for several years we played Mexican Train with two other couples from our Church and would go to eat either before or afterward.  We tried to be sure everyone could get back to their homes before dark as the other two couples were in their 80's.  I have never played the game of Tripoli.  We used to play a lot of party bridge but it has been so long now I wouldn't even try it. 

Jean, a week or so away my family was playing Farkle and discovered after a couple of rounds that they had been playing with 7 dice rather than six.  Everyone had a good laugh and they realized why so many high scores were being obtained.  When we played Mexican Train we usually got in only one or two games and only played with the zero through nine dominos.  As I was growing up my family also played a lot of games like Canasta and Pinochle and Pitch. Now I enjoy playing Spades and Heart on the computer as well as Solitaire. 

deAngel, I don't think any of the grocery stores here have banks in them.  They used to have several in the area we moved from but eventually took them out.  With ATM's in a lot of stores and online banking, including the ability to deposit online the need for these bank branches are probably lessening.  I hope you are not snowed in today nor have lost power with the storm. 

Mary Ann, do you have one of those grabber tools to pick up things off the floor and if so would that work to pick up your papers from the floor.  I think we have six of these scattered throughout the house.  We had three and Stacey had three and that is why we have so many.  They are very handy.  Strangely with all of Pat's back problem being able to bend over isn't one of them.  However, it is a problem for me as I find it very tiring.

MarsGal, I guess I am not very adventuresome but the idea of plunging into ice cold water if I didn't have to is beyond my comprehension.  Do you volunteer at the library?  I thought of doing that one time until I read of the process you had to go through to be accepted to do that and decided it wasn't worth it.  Most of our decluttering has come from making many moves over the years and then we seem to clutter it all up again. 

Marilyn, I see you also use the grabber tool. 

Joy, does your son collect Toby mugs?.  We have some friends and he collected Toby mugs and had many of them. 

Patricia, glad you finally had a morning where it was above freezing yesterday.  I hope you experienced no problems getting to for from the brunch. 

Bubble, there are similarities between Farkle and Yahtzee but you are not limited to getting only one of the designated combinations in Farkle as you are in Yahtzee.   

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the Stormy Rocky coast of Maine.     

The Blizzard has started and we here on
the coast are suppose to get the brunt
of the storm.      I hope that we don't
lose our power.   Usually here in the
heart of the city,  we don't lose it.   

Maybe we will get lucky and the storm
will go out East of us and we don't get
a direct hit. 

Have a good day, Everyone... 
Stay Safe!

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MarsGal

Larry, yes I volunteer one day a week for about 2 hours, give or take. I used two days, but dropped the Friday afternoon one. Our branch does not required background checks, fingerprinting or the like for volunteers (at the volunteer's expense), but my sister had to go through that to volunteer in the Dauphin County system. Since we are around children, it it beyond me why ours doesn't require it as I thought it was a state requirement for any groups working with children. Anyone working at schools or social agencies working with children must go through the process.

I've decided not to go in today. It is lightly snowing and is a bit windy. Don't want to do library duty and go shovel snow on the same day. I did something to my left foot over the weekend (have no idea what) that resulted in a big bruise on the bottom and a small lump. It isn't on a pressure point so I don't have a proqbaLEMRFV 3E  5444444444444    Sorry, my typing assistant is here helping again. ...so I don't have a problem walking. I just don't want to aggrevate it.

Shan's other computer trick is to change the page size on me on several of my regular sites. It took me a week to figure out where the change it back. Of course, it was right in front of my nose; just didn't look hard until this morning.

It has been quiet here. I am not doing much except puttering around doing some general housework, reading and "playing" on the computer. Been doing a little arm-chair traveling through YouTube. Aside from the Amazing Places videos, I have been checking in on Hvar, Croatia. What a lovely resort. Since the guy taking care of the camera did something the other day, I can see night scenes better, including picking out some of the brighter stars like Rigel, Sirius, and Castor and Pollux. How interesting to see the moonshine on the water and to see the moon both there and here at the same time. When the moon is heading down toward the horizon there, it is rising here. The camera not only pans back and forth, but zig-zags and zooms in in several areas. Two interesting features are a monastery and a little island with a long building on it. With some investigation I found out that the little island was originally set up by the monastery as a quarantine station.

FlaJean

Bubble, my favorite is Jumbline 2.  It has 3 games but mostly I play the Classic untimed for 7 letters (you can choose 5, 6 or 7).  For some reason I don’t understand, I am better at 6 or 7 letter words than 5 letter words.  For a while I was playing BubbleXplode which has a number of games.

Callie, I should have said double blanks to double 12s.  Another fun game we play with dominoes is Spinner.  We use the same set of dominoes although the game uses double blanks to double 10s (with the 10s being the wild card).  It’s a quicker and simpler game than Mexican Train.

Larry, that was funny about the 7 dice.  With my luck maybe I should be slipping in the 7th dice when I have my turn. LOL

Mary Ann

Larry, are your great-grands the children of Jennifer? 

It is cold here today, but with the sun shining, it doesn’t seem so cold.  Of course, I am not out in it.  Tom is at the store to pick up the groceries.  I know other stores have similar arrangements, but Tom calls in the order, gives them a credit card number and they call him when the order is filled.  He goes after the order, calls in and they bring out the order.  It saves a lot of time for Tom.

Larry, I do not have a grabber and the papers are off the floor.  What is left on the floor would not respond to a grabber but would need two hands and arms.  This room is a mess and it’s something I’m always going to get “a round tuit”.

Sandy, all I can say is â€" stay inside.  I stay inside most of the time.  As long as the roads are snowy, Tom gets the mail.  It used to be snow, even ice, did not bother me, but I’m older and wiser now and don’t venture out.

MarsGal, since I use a laptop, Kendrick cannot help me type or compute.  He does come in here often to get petted or scratched.  He likes attention, more than I give him. 

I think the weather thingie is not working since I see anything except times and temperatures right now.  We are in the vicinity of 13 degrees, sun shining.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a warm, silent, dark Interior! We gained just short of thirty minutes of daylight since the Winter Solstice. We will have a sunrise at 10:50 Am and a sunset at 3:03 PM for 4:13 hours of daylight today.

I had a very active day yesterday with the delicious brunch where we as Callie might say, solved everything that was wrong with the world. It almost made up for the alarming, snowy drive home where we did more slipping and sliding than driving! You tend to be a bit nervous when you spin out, and only a small railing separates you from infinity!

We decided to calm our nerves by going to a few sales to peruse the promised seventy to ninety percent off items, and we did lighten our wallets and calmed our nerves from one mall to another. The three shepherding husbands made misleading remarks about trying to corral five women and wisely hid out in the tool or sports departments. All and all, a tiring but enjoyable day.

Bubble it is nice to see you here!

Callie, I love your avatar, it is a beautiful photo with such a complementary backdrop!

MaryAnn, I wish my hair stayed when I combed it but while thick, it's very fine and tends to float about on its own unless clipped short. There are places where you can have photos of your pet laminated on restaurant styled white mugs. Your cam looks quite cold today. The local rivers only seem to have ice along the banks, and there are warnings to stay off the ice. There is always that one who needs to be foolish and do something dangerous!

Gloria, I recently learned to play bunco, and it's popular here. I hope your shot helps! I hope you aren't snowed in. I remember a time when you couldn't get the doors open and had to wait on being dug out!

Joan, let's hope Candy finds an apartment available soon as I agree there's a reason we send our children forth!

Jean, thanks for the information per the games. I grew up with cribbage, poker, hearts and gin rummy. We also pitched pennies and played craps but somehow I don't think they will catch on here.They play bingo here every other Friday, but they keep losing their callers who are also the organizers, so it tends to be sporadic.

We're a cross between an apartment building and a senior facility, and it is hard to serve those needing services and those still working and not participating or wanting to. My friends and I play Mahjong, Scrabble, Yahtzee, and poker while I have jigsaws and solitaire on my computer and crossword books in the living room.

We have always played with Oreos or with Monopoly cash at poker get-togethers, but I know the guys have poker nights where the money isn't from Monopoly, and there is various sports betting. I like a sure thing myself which is why my cash stays in my hand and not theirs!

Larry, South Carolina, or at least your part of it and we are sharing the same high today. Interesting! It sounds like you and Pat had another enjoyable evening with Scott and Jennifer and phone visit with the grands.

I'm not sure about the groceries, but all the malls seem to have at least one small banking area with ATM's at the entrance and one jewelry shop next door, hmmm...

I need to buy another grabber because I tend to stiffen at times and have a hard time getting down to the floor and back up again! They have the popular polar bear plunge at Barrow I believe because of its location, but that is in March. I was at the library here last week after years of depending on online borrowing or the biweekly library van and was surprised to see it completely remodeled and checkout line automated.

When I moved here, I found I had 16 coffee mugs! I donated down to two but am back to seven or eight again. I never make New Year's resolutions, but a couple of years ago I heard about a yearly word. This year, my word is "simplify." Last year's word was "donate" which I accomplished so hopefully I will simplify this year! I also have a plan to drank 64 ounces of water daily as it is healthy, flushes out toxins and rehydrates which I need as I get headaches when I'm dehydrated.

Sandy, I hope you stay warm, safe and with power during that bombogenesis!

MarsGal, Shan sounds like a friend's new kitten. She says having Henry is like having a two-year-old on steroids! And she loves it!

I hope your foot feels better soon and is only perhaps a bone bruise. I have bookmarked Venice and some of Italy's other cams but now plan to take a look at Hvar, Croatia so thank you! We only have winter darkness but clouds move in for the winter so seeing any stars or space events in the Arctic is very unusual.

Everyone,and MaryAnn, stay safe warm and happy today!

Mary Ann

I am watching the Weather Channel now and Mike Seidel is in Riverhead NY on eastern Long Island.  I believe that is where Glora D (Lindancer) lives.  I haven't seen a post from her today and I hope she isn't snowed in.  I think she is the one who had snow up both front and back doors and she really was snowed in.

Patricia, I am keeping warm, thank you.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good afternoon, it is really snowing, Yes MaryAnn, I am snowed in, but I keep opening th doors a little bite, so I can squeeze out if I had to. the drift on  the back porch is about 3ft. now.  They have pleaded with people do not go out on the roads, the governor said out here between 8 and 12 they had 89 calls from people stuck on the road.  Over 50 accidents. already. I have a doctors appointment to morrow, and I am sure I will not be able to get out.  Homemakers has already been called off.

Patricia,the first few years after we were married, Cyriel and I played a lot of cribbage, my mother gave us the set, and I still have it. 71 years old. We listen to the radio, then along came TV, we had a 7inch Motorola and thought we were the richest people, on earth, this was about 1949.  My bedroom TV, my husband gave me for and anniversary present over 20 years ago, I can still plays tapes in it also DVDS. I think it is a 22 inch.  They play bingo every Friday night here, they have played it ever since I moved here 34 years ago.  There is about 50 or more that go every week.

Callie I would like to learn to play Mexican Train, as I was given a lovely set in its own carrying case.  Homemakers had a class last year and one this year, and both times I have been in the hospital. My favorite game is Hand and Foot.  Some Sat. night we have played till after Midnight.Also I belong for about 10 years to a Michigan rummy group. There was 6 of us, and each Wed. we would take turns having the players come to our house. Coffee and cake was served after the game.  Would you believe I am the only one left, that what getting to this age dose to you.

Larry, still talking about games play the computer hearts nearly every night.  I have riverboat solitaire, with about 50 games in it, most of the time I play Alhambra.  To day is a good day for games. I hope the power does not go off, as there is 55 mi. wind gust.  3000 are without power right now.

My favorite ca

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

MarsGal

Angel, your friend pretty much describes Shan - a two-year-old on steroids does pretty much sums it up.

I don't watch the Weather Channel much these days, Mary Ann. For some reason, since I got FIOS, it concentrates on Texas and California weather, and I don't know how to change that. I haven't gotten around to calling Verizon yet to ask what gives. 

Mary Ann

Gloria, I hope you can continue to open your door a bit to provide an opening in case you need to get out.  The Weather Channel has a man stationed at Riverhead, but obviously not where you are. 

MarsGal, the Weather Channel does show mostly where the bad weather is.  Since the East coast was harder hit, that is where their reporters are.  As long as there is some action, I watch it but during lulls (other times of the year), I check in, then go elsewhere or turn off the TV.  I worry for the Easterners but I am glad to be here where things are more normal.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - I think coffee mugs are popular gift items, when someone needs give a "token" gift, that's inexpensive but also attractive and useful.  Like you, I have a cupboard full of coffee mugs that I never use.  AJ has two old favorites that he prefers every day, and I like to drink my morning coffee from a cup and saucer . . . so what to do with all the extras?  Besides donating to my local thrift shop, I started using them for a few things around the house.  Great for toothbrush/toothpaste holders, and pencils and pens here at our two desktop computers.  Lined up as a colorful display on the kitchen window sill is nice.  Other than that, not much else you can use them for.    If you ever take a look in the Goodwill, Salvation Army or other thrift stores, take notice that there are huge numbers of mugs in the housewares department, that don't seem to be selling.  Still, we keep buying and receiving new ones as gifts for every possible occasion!  The world will someday be overrun by coffee mugs! :yikes:

Gloria - Sorry you're snowed in, but good that you are safe and warm inside, while the storm rages on.   I hope your nephew is still there, so you will have someone with you in case you need to get out, or need any kind of help?  The Weather Channel is talking a lot about this storm, and it sure sounds like a bad one.  So many of our Senior & Friends members live along the East Coast, from Florida to Maine, so I think we'll get lots of reports from people here, as the storm progresses. Keep us posted on how you are doing?

Mary Ann - Good that you aren't alone, and have Tom to get food and other necessities.  I guess the storm is not going to get over to Michigan, but still, it sounds miserably cold there.  I've been watching the Grand Haven cam, and I'm surprised at how many people venture over the top of the high snow bank, and out to the ice! 

angelface555

Good afternoon, we were off for an hour or so due to the wind. I was in the middle of my email, and everything just went poof! I think we will be getting colder as the clouds are clearing.

MarsGal, Henry is a small black kitten whose eyes must have recently lost that milky blue according to her vet. The kitten was from Pet Pride who is seeing an upsurge in abandoned kittens. She is feeding Henry, kitten food mixed with warm water in a small kitten bottle but he seems quite active and tries to climb on everything! If you don't pick him up, he will climb right up your leg or nearest limb, no fear with that one!
I told her it might be time to transition him to a dish, so she is promising to check with her vet. Evidently, there are several new puppy and cat litters right now. I don't know if that is normal or not.

Gloria, when I was married, card parties were prominent in that military community in the sixties and seventies. No matter which husband or service type or base, it seemed that was a large part of our social life as a couple. Every wife was pregnant and had one child under five it appeared and no one had any money.

Marilyne, I liked my cups, but you are right about token gifts. Luckily they came with cocoa mixes and tea sets. I also received food gifts, fruit, meat and cheese and wine fill my pantry at least for now. Seniors are notoriously hard to buy for. I do like my "fur" spread, but I will attach a photo of my favorite gift. He is a little over two feet and needs a name. He has 2017 on his right foot and Farrah curls up and sleeps on him.

[attachimg=1]

Mary Ann

I also have a good supply of mugs.  It got too large for the shelf, so recently Annie took all of them out of the cupboard and I selected a dozen mugs to stay upstairs and the rest were taken to the storage room.  I prefer the larger mugs and I use one for my coffee in the morning.  If Tom brings back coffee and a muffin, I pour the coffee into the now empty mug and have my breakfast.  I have a set of Christmas mugs that I haven't used in years because I couldn't lift the box and/or bring it upstairs.  I also have some Easter mugs.  Mugs were easy to buy on a trip but I found I had to put them in my carry-on because a couple of times they were broken in my luggage and I know I packed them securely.  That backfired once when Jim and I were in Mackinaw City and as he unpacked the trunk, he moved the mugs and dropped the bag.  Only the handles were broken off and I thought I could use them as planters, but I never did.  I have an idea I still have those mugs somewhere.

I like your moose, Patricia, I wonder if I buy a stuffed animal, would Kendrick like it. 

We're supposed to get to minus 2 tonight and the thermometer in this room reads 0.6 degrees.  I think we were around 15 degrees during the day.  Tomorrow is to be in the teens, then plus 2 at night and after that we are to get into the 30s for a couple of days.  I don't like that fluctuation. 

In my Random Image picture at the left is a picture of Norm, me, Pat Scott Halbach and Dot.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Patricia, Love your moose.   when I got up this morning, Taffy crawled back to bed and it is now after 8, and I have not seen her all day. Must be the blizzard.

I agree, I think in the early years for us middle forties through the seventies games and BBQs were our main entertainment. WE seldom  went out to eat, unless it was a little stand for hot dogs or hamburgers, of course the children were with us, no baby sitters. Remember the little wine glass, a bottle could last a while. :) Now the wine glasses take a half of a bottle.

MaryAnn, talking about mugs my neighbors birthday is next week, and I have already bought her Mug, made in the USA, coust $10. Looks like her Simanise with a leaf on its nose.  I also have a set of Irish Coffee mugs, with different sayings on each one.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

Hello,

Angelface, thank you for the compliment on my avatar. We had family pictures made last summer and this is the one taken of me by myself.  I don't look that neat and put together in candid pictures.   ;D

Gloria,  I hadn't thought about Michigan Rummy in a long time.  We used to play it, too.
We also played what we called "Oh, H***" with our friends. but the branch of the family with small children calls "Peanut".  It's a form of Solitaire/Slap Jack with everyone having a deck of cards and playing solitaire with all Aces being put out in the middle for everyone to play on. It can get pretty rowdy.
A group of couples were sitting on the floor of our apartment slapping away when another couple walked in.  We more or less threw decks of cards at them and said "It's like solitaire".  He started playing but she just sat there.  Finally she confessed,  "I've never played Solitaire".  We were amazed - didn't know there was anyone our age who didn't know how to play Solitaire. 

Miss Ellen reported 5-6 inches of snow and strong winds on Manhattan.  She works at a restaurant near Times Square and said she got to go home very early tonight because no one was coming in.  She lives in Washington Heights.

Been a busy day and I'm ready to hit the recliner and read a while.

Sleep well and have pleasant dreams, everyone.

MarsGal

Mary Ann, the Weather Channel moderators I am seeing now are not the ones I used to see. Also, where the local weather is displayed, I am getting a Texas city (forget which one now) instead of my area. I think the Weather Channel regionalizes their broadcasts. I think this region gets their broadcasts out of Atlanta (or at least that is the one Comcast picks up).

Angel, Henry sounds cute. I rescued Shan when he was five weeks old and he took to the regular cat food right away. I am feeding him wet kitten food until I run out and then switching to the adult food. The vet says that he won't gain weight too fast with the adult food. I will be making an appointment for him to get fixed at the end of the month. No declawing. I don't believe in doing that. Plus, unlike Oscar, he is great at letting me cut his nails.

Temp is at 8 degrees F at 5:45am. They are still calling for a warmup next week, but with some light snow on Monday and Tuesday.

The mail person did not deliver my weekly grocery ads yesterday. Odd, because my next door neighbor got theirs. This is not the first time this happened. Thank goodness for the grocery store websites, although I don't really like to check weekly grocery ads online; they are harder for me to browse than paper copy. I usually just log on to the store sties to select online coupons. Fortunately, I don't need to run out for anything until next week.

I just discovered Shan opened three extra browser windows in Firefox for me and one in Microsoft's browser. They were hidden behind this one.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another beautiful morning here in South Carolina although we will stay in the mid-30's today.  I did enjoy my morning out yesterday having coffee with a couple of friends and the hour at the Wisdom group.  I had to wait a few minutes to pick up my grocery order as there were two cars ahead of me.  I have no particular plans for today.  Pat said she planned to go to Walmart to pick up prescriptions and then to the Dollar Store to get more birthday and anniversary cards for the Sunday School card ministry.  This is the third and probably last year she will do this.  If she wants I may help her with some of these errands. 

MarsGal, thanks for the info regarding working at your library.  You are going to have to give Shan typing lessons since he is so interested in your keyboard.  :)

Jean, I have never heard of those website you mentioned for playing games.  I don't like to play games that are timed.

Mary Ann, yes our great grands are the children of Jennifer.  It is a pretty messy situation and the poor children are caught in the middle.  It does save a lot of time to not have to roam the grocery shelves and just stop and pick up the groceries.  Yesterday they were out of 5 of the items we had on our order.  The grabbers are not expensive and come in very handy. 

Patricia, it is nice to have more daylight.  It sounds like you had a full but fun day on Wednesday although that trip on slick roads must have been pretty scary.  I have played many games of Cribbage over the years and can play against the computer.  We got rid of most of our coffee mugs when we moved three years ago.  It is very important to stay hydrated so that is a good New Year's resolution.  I don't think I have every heard the word bombogenesis until on the weather this week. 

deAngel, with all that snow up your way the doctor's office will likely be closed today anyway.  I also like to play Hearts on the computer but seem to gravitate to Spades.  Hope you are staying nice and warm.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, while I do recognize the weather people on Weather Channel, I think with so many regulars scattered in the northeast, they are calling in some former people.  I have seen Jackie Jerad before, but she is not a regular and Jennifer Lopez is another.  When you see a shot of everyone who is in the field today, it is amazing how many people they have to do the programs. 

My right shoulder is hurting something awful today.  I have arthritis in the shoulder along with some cuff or cup problem.  I went to an orthopedic surgeon three years ago and he said because of my age he did not suggest surgery and I was and am happy with that.  He died last year and if I go to emergency, I will go to a local hospital to start out with.  I fear if I have surgery I will never recover full use in my lifetime. 

The pictures from the east coast look familiar in some spots because we have been there, done that, and I'm glad I'm not in it now!  Our temperature at 10:25 is about 3 degrees anyway.

Grand Haven is beautiful today, but very cold looking.

Mary Ann
[/b]

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Maybe you can go to an orthopedic doctor and get a steroid injection in your shoulder?  AJ has the same shoulder problem you have, and it flares up really bad at times.  His ortho surgeon will not perform surgery on anyone who is 80 years old or older, and I don't think any doctors out here will.  They used to, but it was not successful, and left the patient in worse shape than before.  They will give the steroid injections, and there is something else that can be injected that acts like a cushion??

MarsGal - Your Shan sounds like he's full of personality and cuteness!  I love his keyboard antics! ;D Winnie used to walk around on my keyboard, and then lie down on it, like he was going to take a nap.  That was the larger, longer keyboard on my old Mac desktop, that had the deeper keys that clicked and clacked when he walked on them.  I think he loved the sound, and the feel of them when he walked.  I doubt he would like this one, as it is short . . . 11 by 4, with flat keys.

Mary Ann

It's terrible trying to type and operate from the touch pad.  I use a mouse with this laptop but I have to stretch too far for comfort with the mouse.  I really don't have a good setup anyway.

Marilyn, I had gone to an orthopedic doctor who would not do surgery.  A year or so ago I had pain and tried to make an appointment but he had retired, in fact, he died last year.  I think I will start out at the hospital emergency who possibly will refer me to an orthopedic doctor.  I was given an appointment previously with another ortho doctor but I had to cancel the appointment and I don't remember why; I might have been sick and I did not make another appointment.  I'll tell that to the hospital and see what they do.  Tom is at lunch now with a friend and he'll call in a few minutes to see if I want to go to emergency or not.  The first time I was at the ortho doctor, he gave me a cortisone shot which helped a couple of days and I had another one a few months after that.  The shots did not last long enough to be effective very long.

Tom just came in and I'll have him take me to emergency soon.  I'll let you know what transpires.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior. I'm getting a late start this morning for some reason.

Larry, my new year's resolution is in a word simplify. The water is something recommended years ago by a doctor and again recently.Yesterday it took all day to drink 64 ounces. I have a hard time drinking the required water even with dehydrated skin, headaches, and other ills.  My main idea now that I've kept my house decluttered is to declutter my life and the obligations I take on.

Wednesday afternoon at dusk we were driving down from an approximate elevation of 2,644 feet in falling snow. Those guardrails look flimsy when you are sliding over the road. Driving in the lower foothills is common here as many homes were built among them and I know the driver was in control and competent. The issue is my not being able to drive so I, myself have no control and that is scary. Murphy Dome, at the top of the ridge, used to be an airforce base and now it is a radar station, and it is 2,884 feet above sea level.

MarsGal, Henry is adorable, and they are trying to put weight on him and some other reasons such as his eating on his own. But I think he is beyond bottle feeding. As active as he is and as strongwilled, he is ready for the next step. However, I am in no way a vet or expert other than my own experience. I see so many cute kittens and beautiful cats that I would love to have another one. Perhaps it is better that they have the one pet rule here.

Shan sounds like he would prefer you to play with him and not the computer. Farrah comes up to one side, taps her paw on the side of the keyboard and when I move or look at her, she whines, jumps down and heads toward her toys as if to say, play with me! She makes me feel so guilty!  :-\

MaryAnn, our low last night was ten, but as they said about the warming up last week, the cooler temperatures promised this week keep getting pushed further away. This locality may be just inside the Arctic region but our last ten years or more weather has been more temperate than arctic!

With the barometric pressure changing so much these past few weeks, I have been stiffening up so try to keep moving. Sitting in a chair for any length of time makes me sound like a bowl of Rice Crispies trying to get up. And getting on the floor isn't happening! I'm sorry your shoulder is hurting, does applying dry or moist heat help any? I hope you are able to find relief with your visit today.

The East Coast is getting slammed. These past years seem to have melded into one long disastrous storm. No one even uses the term hundred year storm anymore.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I hope you're home from the ER, and feeling much better?  Be sure to let us know, as soon as you feel like sitting at the computer.

Patricia - Just a suggestion, but instead of trying to drink 8 glasses of water per day, try substituting at least one glass with coconut water/juice.  No sugar added, and it has high levels of potassium, which we need more of as we grow older.  At first you might not like it, but after a few containers, you start to like it more and more.  It’s an acquired taste! ha ha   Vita Coco, is my favorite brand, and is available plain, or with real pineapple or mango added, to give a little fruit juice flavor.

I agree with you, that the last couple of years it seems that there has been one disastrous storm after another, hitting the East Coast.  Here in the West, it's lack of rain that causes the damage.  Winds kick up in the Fall, and the wildfires start their yearly path of destruction.  Yesterday, we had an earthquake, but it was only a 4 something.  Not particularly high, but enough that it woke up the entire Bay Area, at around 2:30 AM. The epicenter was in Berkeley, which is about 50 miles north of here.

angelface555

Thanks, Marilyne, but as you said, it is an acquired taste. I bought some, tried it, threw that serving out and put the rest on the donation table. Pomegranate juice works better than almost anything if you need potassium. Water is needed for weight loss, body stability, blood, nutrition, and wellness. Plus it is free to the extent that it is readily available at home and do not include bottled water that came from some other city's water supply and you pay for a snazzy name and shipping costs.

About the storms, I didn't state that well as I was meant some of what you have said. Not only North America but the entire world has been beset and while the coastlines get a lot of press, it has been some of the worst weather worldwide. Bubble, has said that it is unusually cold in Israel too. I know climate change is a dirty word to those who do not understand its meaning but how long can they keep a pretense?

Also, this has just come out;  "Cybersecurity researchers this week revealed two serious processor flaws that could leave billions of devices around the world vulnerable to all kinds of breaches. Now, Apple has confirmed that all its iPhones, iPads and Mac computers are affected by the flaws, which are called Spectre and Meltdown.

So what should Apple users do? For starters, make sure your iPhone, iPads, computers and all apps you use are kept up to date to help protect against hackers exploiting the flaws. In fact, no matter what sort of device you have, experts say you should update your software -- like, NOW -- and brace yourself for slower device speeds for a while. "

Mary Ann

I'm back from the ER and I can't say I learned a lot, but the doctor gave me a prescript for a small supply of meds to last three days.  It might help for that length of time, but I am sure the pain will come back.  I'm glad I went, if only to find out nothing more has happened.  I have a lot of arthritis in my shoulder and there is trouble with the rotator cup.  Since surgery is out, I don't see any less pain, but today was unusual.

One thing funny - when I was in the x-ray room, the nurse came in with the papers and said, "Dorothy?"  I said, "no, I'm Mary Ann".  The nurse insisted that her papers said "Dorothy" until another nurse took the bottom paper that had my name on it.  That way I knew Dot was in for x-ray too.  The nurse took three x-rays and I went back to the room to await the results. 

When I got home, I called Dot to ask how her x-rays turned out and told her of my experience.  She said that solved the problem her team had because they looked at their papers and said what was on their paper didn't agree with what they had been told.  They also finally figured things out.  Dot doesn't know yet what will happen in her case but may find out Tuesday.

My shoulder hurts and probably will continue to hurt.  Since I had no injury, there might not be a cure, but at least I found things were not worse.

I find it difficult to use the touch pad and I've used the mouse here, but I think I mostly will not use the mouse as much, since with puzzles, for instance.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - That was funny, that you and Dot were at the ER at the same time, and both getting X-rays.  With the same last name, I can understand why there was some confusion! :-\
I'm sorry that you're still in pain.  Maybe the stronger painkiller will allow you to relax your shoulder a little more, and you will begin to feel better.

Patricia - I like pomegranate juice, but it's too acidic for me.  I avoid any food or drink that is acidic, because of stomach and acid reflux problems.  I love orange juice and all citrus, but have to stay away from it.  Over Christmas, we had lots of Satsuma mandarins, which I love. (no seeds!) I ate a couple of them, but I know when I've had enough.  Of course I drink coffee every morning, but only two cups, and only in the morning.  Not good, but when followed by breakfast, I can handle it. 

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Today is going to be basically a carbon copy of yesterday in terms of the weather.  We are suppose to get to 40 late this afternoon.  I plan on staying home today.  Yesterday I went with Pat on her errands and did the Walmart items as she waited in the car.  We then went to the Dollar Tree so she could get the cards she needed and while she was in there I went down to Office Depot and got the ink I needed for my printer.  It was over $50 for the four small cartridges.  They didn't stock the ones I needed at Walmart but later I found I can order them but then have to pick them up in the store and I am not sure it is worth the effort to save a couple of dollars.

Maryilyn, I have had a mixture of cranberry with pomegranate juice as my breakfast drink but prefer the cranberry with raspberry.  Fortunately I seldom have a problem with acid reflux since I sleep with my head elevated and that was usually when I experienced it after a big evening meal. 

Mary Ann, sure hope you are feeling some better today.  Maybe the pain will at least calm down after the three days of medication.  I guess both you and Dot having the same last name really confused the hospital staff.  Good thing they check to see that they have the right patient.  Have you considered getting a laptop desk that sits on your lap and has room for the mouse to the side.  Pat and I both have used such desks for years.  I probably should have learned to use the touchpad but just find using the mouse to be suitable for me.  My son is a whiz on the touchpad and doesn't use a mouse. 

Patricia, as I read your last posting it brought to mind where I went on one of the trips to Fairbanks.  We had to visit the radar installation at Clear, Alaska.  I didn't have a clue as to what I was seeing so all of the secrets were safe with me.  I did have a top secret clearance or I wouldn't have been allowed in with the radar.  I have no remembrance of why we were there but were doing an audit.  I was working for the General Accounting Office at the time.  I updated my two Windows 10 computers yesterday and check Pats this morning, which was up-to-date.  I will try to check her upstairs laptop later this morning.  I always keep my iPhone software up-to-date as a message is given on the phone if an update is available.  I expect many of the people living in the foothills around Fairbanks have 4-wheel drive vehicles to help with any bad roads.   

Sandy

Hi !
All is well here on the rocky coast of Maine,
except it is very cold and slippery underneath!
Sandy

:coffee: :baaa: :woohoo: :snowball: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr !! :snowball:  :woohoo:    :baaa:  :coffee:

― Carl Sagan

SCFSue

Sandy, how cold is it?  I can remember many days of sub zero weather during the 2 tours we had in Brunswick!  Right now the temperature here in Auburn, AL, is 34.  I've just walked over to the library and back (which I do every Saturday).  Fortunately I have winter gear which keeps me warm.

Sue

Sandy

Right now it is: 2° Fahrenheit
Cloudy/Wind eels Like -19°   Fahrenheit .. 
That is  below 0° ...   (Brrrrrrrrrrr)

This is very unusual ..... and we have had many cold
days below zero with strong wind chill....

I see that better weather is headed in our direction
in a few days.      I can't wait.   

Sandy  :thumbup:

― Carl Sagan