Random Image

list.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Hi Bubble
With a virus like Zika it does make people look at holiday destinations again.  And of course with problems in some countries that means holidaying is not as safe as it was.

Kelly

so_P_bubble

You have nothing to worry, over there.

MarsGal

Here is the CDC website on the Zika virus http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

The WHO website with a map-timeline of Zika's origins and spread. The first large outbreak occurred in 2007 in the South Pacific.
http://www.who.int/emergencies/zika-virus/timeline/en/

Kelly

Hi Bubble
But I like to travel.

Kelly

halkel

They say Zika is not as bad as is being reported.  Even said that some pregnant ladies get it and it never affects the child.  Also that many have it and never know it.

We have had several cases here in San Antonio, another benefit from South of the border.  They are now gearing up to fight mosquitoes which will be showing up shortly, along with the warm weather.

Everyone have a good day

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We had a very pleasant day with our company yesterday and they will be with us again today.  We did go to Ruby Tuesdays for a late afternoon meal and then had a nice evening of playing the card game Hearts.  We did show them our big town of North Augusta with is two short business streets and a few other places like going by our church, which is on the main street right before downtown as is the big Baptist Church.  My BIL is going to go to LoweÅ› with me this morning to help me get some potting soil to my back yard as we want to try some container gardening in some 5 gallon buckets.  We will try one tomato plant and perhaps some herbs as well as some flowers for the two ceramic containers we have. 

deedee

Quote from: Kelly on April 08, 2016, 07:40:42 AM
Hi Bubble
But I like to travel.

Kelly

And you are right to worry, Kelly. What they say means nothing. THEY lie.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,
from the cool but sunny, 
Rocky Coast of Maine.   

"Cool" is relative,  and for me here
today I am talking in the low 50's. 
It is very nice to see the sun shinning
in my Windows to the World.   

I am thoroughly enjoying
"The Masters"  PGA Golf,  which
is on for most of the day.   
Much better then trying to
ignore the nasty political programs..

So "The Masters"  is a relief for me!!

I don't know if I mentioned this,
(probably did),  my Grand Mothers
name was "Augusta Godfrey Akerley" ... but
everyone called her "Gus" .. 
I kinda like that 

I hope that everyone has a very
good day,  today. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MaryPage

I love it, Sandy Dapph!

My GREAT grandmother was Augusta Virginia, and one of my father's sisters was named for her, but always called Virginia or Ginny.  That great grandmother was not called Augusta in the family, but was Jenny, until she became Lady Jane.  She had 3 children, 5 grandchildren, and 7 great grandchildren, of whom I was one.  We all called her Lady Jane.  And we all feel sorry for the family members who never knew her.  What a loss!  Well, she knew 3 of mine when they were little and before she left us at age 96.

Sandy

We had an Augusta,  Blanche, Lucretia, Ethel, Bernadine,  Ernestine, Mellon,  ...  and on and on and on...

Old names.    Don't hear many of those any longer. 

Sandy
:crazy2:

― Carl Sagan

halkel

Sandy, the Masters is my favorite tournament.  Just looking at the course is worth the time to "look".  I wish it came on earlier than 2 our time.  It did for a couple of years. 

I heard that after the Masters the course is closed for the remainder of the season because of heat and high humidity, but don't hold me to that.  Larry may know for sure.  I often wonder how the caddies can stand to wear those long sleeved overalls. I used to play golf with a couple of guys that went to the Masters every year.  They, like Larry said, rented a house for the week.  Must be nice.

wjoan

I keep looking for GRIPES under Politics which is where it used to reside.  Did they put it elsewhere?  Anyone know?

so_P_bubble

wjoan :

Soap Box Corner

This is the place for Political Opinion and other topics of similar controversial nature where good debate is healthy. So, climb up onto your Soap Box but remember to be mannerly!

MaryPage

Sandy Dapph, of those names you list, my family can only claim the Augusta in common. 

My great grandmother was the 4th of seven famously lovely sisters.  They were Laura, Amanda, Almira (Allie), Augusta (Jenny, and later Lady Jane), Irone (Pussy Willow), Elizabeth (Bessie) and Abigail (Abbie).  Yes, that is Irone and not Irene.  I do so love the old names.  And I shudder to hear what so many baby girls are laden with these days.  Ah so;  I expect every older generation has suffered thusly, while the little girls manage to thrive despite the burdens their names bestow!

Kelly

Hi Bubble
I sold my soap box

:)

kelly

Sandy

ESPN  has the Masters on here starting about
9 EST ...     

I love it too,  Hal...   

I use to play golf,  but the best part was
getting out and walking around beautiful green, lush,
golf courses...  Even here in the Summer in the North East,
of course,  Winter and Early Spring Golfing could easily
get snowed out!

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Kelly

Hi Sandy
Trying to cut down on watching to much TV

Kelly

angelface555

We are having a nice steady rain this morning. It will help bring out the hidden green and relieve all the wispy dust lying about so it is doubly welcome! Although it is expected to be a cooler day.

We have had many, many Elizabeths in our family. Either Eliza. Betsy, Lizbeth or Lizzie. We also have Jane, Mary, Marie and Miriam. These seem to run in each generation. Esther, Georgianna, Dorcie, Sarah, Rebekah and Rebecca; Julia, Penelope, Kezia, Rachel, Helen, Keziah, Belle, Louisa and Violet. These are the names that according to my great uncle and my cousin's genealogy attempts go back to 1830. Evidently, with a few exceptions, we look to the past for feminine names.

Looking at the family photos, photos of daguerreotypes, cabinet cards and tintype, I would say that the women in our family were not always at their best by today's standards in the hairstyles they chose. But that is also due to the usual woes of being a farmer's wife and the spread of several children in each family grouping.

I do not have a TV or the interest in sports unless I am physically watching a game, but all the parents and some women & men in our family were. Football, hockey, softball, soccer, and yes golf or "golf scrambles" reigned supreme and were sacred to some participants. I do know that some play here commonly in winter using orange balls against the white.

Beverly

I've always regretted not naming one of my girls Allie. My great-aunt, who was like a grandmother to me, was childless. Her name was Alice Elizabeth and she was called Allie. My mother's parents were born in Canada. My grandfather was Alphonso and his sisters were Alphonsine and Philemon.  ::) My mother was one of 16. Her name was Etta Ottoline and she hated it with a passion! A couple of her brothers were Cyrille and Noel. The rest were fairly common names for the day. I tried to avoid having my childrens' initials spell anything. My father was Chester Upton Parkman (CUP)

Sandy - The names you mentioned sound like they could also be French. (Not unusual for northern New England!)

Joan - If there isn't a GRIPES discussion, I'm sure someone will add one for you. (I could use one........feeling out of sorts nursing this sore mouth!)  Can't wait to get the stitches removed. (edit) I see that Jeanne Lee has already done it!

SoPBubble - I like your "bubble" avatar.  :)

I've spent way too much time on the computer today. Time to think about dinner.

so_P_bubble

Beverly, that is how I feel most of the time: very bubbbly and soaring happily.

Beverly

Bubble - And your face shows it! We should all be more like you.  :thumbup:

Sandy

To the best of my knowledge, 
my ancestors came from Scotland/Wales/ and
England.     Not that a little French Canadian didn't
slip in there...  or Native American.    :thumbup:

I would love to have my DNA checked to see
where that might lead.   

I think that we all might be surprised  what DNA
might show up.      I am contemplating that
sometime in the future.

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

maryde

HI EVERYONE, woke early, chill in the air.  Uys only 14C, brr.  It is supposed to improve to 21C later but its grey outside.  Time for another layer of bedding just as most of you are probably taking one off.

BEVERLY Sorry about that tooth, hope its feeling a bit better when you wake up today.

BEVERLY and JOHANN it was so special meeting you both in different hemispheres, never thought I would meet you so far away in Williamsport BEVERLY and JOHANN it was wonderful to see you locally in Auckland.  Never know what fate has in store but likely my travelling days are over for a long while thought I do feel lucky to have so many stored memories.     Don't have time to re-read all those posts but do remember smiling when LARRY HANNA said Hello SANDY too and some others have slipped my mind, find that happens when I get stressed. Apologies .  Does it happen to you?

Re that horrid Zika virus, I noticed a media warning that men should also beware for the next 3 months if they have possibly been exposed as there seems evidence that they can pass it on...with all the travelers these days,  no one is really safe.  What do you think about Rio, its not far away, the Games I mean.

Kelly

Hi  Beverly
I realised today with chores outstanding around the home that I have been on the computer too much.

So need to reduce my time on the PC or Smartphone.

Kelly

maryde

Interested in the family history/DNA discussion.  I am sure there could be surprises.         I started learning about my family because I realised I knew nothing about my Grandmother Ethel Jane.  She died when my mother was only 4 years old so its all a long time ago.  I have a few little keepsakes including a small oil 1890's painting given to Ethel by the artist and passed to  me by my mother who felt it was her family  'heirloom'.     My papers are in a bit of a mess right now but its my objective to continue my genealogy over the Winter.  I am much more interested about learning about the 'flesh' on the bones rather than the skeleton...

MaryPage

Beverly, daughter Debi's best friend since college, who is like a daughter to me, just became a grandmother for the first time and the little girl is named Etta. 

I had never known of an Etta before, albeit I have known Henriettas who were called Etta or just plain Et.  In fact, one of my great aunts was Aunt Et, and her name was Henrietta.  But this adorable girl child is just Etta.

deedee

Quote from: Beverly on April 08, 2016, 03:23:32 PM
Bubble - And your face shows it! We should all be more like you.  :thumbup:

Why? Without the recalcitrant misanthropes, the happy bubbly folk would not be appreciated as much as they are.

Sandy

I only know one Etta...
A very popular singer,   Etta James..

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Ella, Emma and Etta, are three very popular baby names here in California.  I'm not fond of any of them, but they're far better than some of the new names that young parents are coming up with.  The flower names are also returning . . . Iris, Violet, Rosemary, et al.  Very pretty I think.