Random Image

Sundown Storm Raging

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:25:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

It seems to be that a lot of name get shortened. I never liked that and so picked for my girls short ones.  Susan Marie and Julie Anne.  I had 2 aunts with Marie and my mother Anne.
My name is  Jeanne  which is Jenny my Godmother and Anne my mum.

Every one I know seems to now have diff. name.  A Richard goes by Dick. Charles they shorten. William is Bill. Things like that.  Women names even worse.  It was that the Church would only Baptize  in full names.   You couldn't use a made up name. In US seems you can call them anything.  Now I know young people where the short names can be used from the Start.  Billy, Timmy. Maggie . says them on their birth certificates.

Maybe cute when they are babies but not when grown ups.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

We have an assortment of names in our family, both male and female - Judith, several Marys, Susan, Eliza, Margaret, Catherine, Florence, Vera, Henry (four of them) two Lemuels, Homer, William, Andrew, Norman, Grover, Christian, Hans.  My mother's name was Merle and the story is that she was named by her father (Andrew) who was dying of typhoid fever.  Mother was born November 27 and my grandfather died Christmas Eve after she was born.  I only knew my dad's mother, Emma, whose mother's name was Anna Dorothea Caroline (called Caroline or Line).  I was named for a grandmother, great-grandmother and great aunt.  Norm was named for my dad.  Tom's kids have family middle names and Terry's kids both have Lancaster as their middle name (Jan's family name).  I have had my DNA checked and I am mostly Scandinavian and English - and I knew that.

I am watching the Masters.  Tom Watson has just finished and I don't know what is going on because I've had my TV on mute, but I take it this is Tom's last Masters, maybe major tour.  I'm having trouble patting my head and rubbing my stomach at the same time!

It has been a nice day here today, but cool, with the temperature around 35 degrees.  But the sun has been shining!!!

Mary Ann

angelface555

I remember Etta Sue from Seniornet.

Mary Ann

Because I did not have a nickname, I like them.  I mean nicknames derived from the given name, not something like "Skinny" for a thin person.  We had Timothy, Thomas and Terrance and they became Tim, Tom and Terry - or the three Ts.  Geoffrey is now Geoff, James is Jamie (sometimes but usually James - not Jim), Catherine (Annie) is Cate.  I guess there's not much you can do with Erin and Paula.  Dad was Norman but young Norman was Norm.  A woman at church calls me Mare but I am not Mary; I am Mary Ann.  My mother was Merle and you can't do a thing with that.

I think we're having more snow tonight but it was the kind it was hard to see.  The temp is 32 degrees so just right for snow, possibly ice.  Tom is out tonight so I hope it stays as snow.  He is an excellent driver.

Patricia, one time on the way to Indianapolis, I stopped to see Etta Sue.  She lived not far off the state highway I took.  We had a very nice visit. 

Mary Ann

Kelly

Time to retire

Goodnight Everyone

Kelly

Beverly

MaryPage - I suggested once that I'd like to name my daughter Marietta or Lauretta (after my favorite aunt, Laura, and my Mom). Her response? "Over my dead body!" I didn't bring it up again.  :) She would have gotten along famously with P. Roe!

Jeanne P. - I'm not fond of nicknames either. I have been called "Betty" by my relatives (except for my mother) and childhood friends all my life. (Thanks to an uncle who dubbed me Betty Boop when I was a baby.) When I was 18 I decided to reclaim my real name and to everyone I've met since, I'm Beverly. It's spelled Beverley on my birth certificate.

Marilyne - A lot of old names are being recycled. Better than the flower children names.......I knew a little girl named Dandelion.  :)

Funny how our names are so important to us.....

Deedee - You have a point!

MaryPage

Oh, and I just ADORE the name Marietta!  First of all, I lived in a country house named Marietta once.  And then there is that wonderful operetta Naughty Marietta!  I never tire of seeing that, or hearing the music from it.

so_P_bubble

Quote from: deedee on April 08, 2016, 05:06:53 PM
Quote from: Beverly on April 08, 2016, 03:23:32 PM
Bubble - And your face shows it! We should all be more like you.  :thumbup:

Why? Without the recalcitrant misanthropes, the happy bubbly folk would not be appreciated as much as they are.

deedee, thanks for letting me realize I should be less bothered by those grumpy characters!  Life is too precious for that and its outlook not depend on sourpusses :)

Thanks beverly for your  :thumbup:

Kelly

Good morning everyone

Kelly

MarsGal

Morning, everyone!

It is snowing here. We are to get between 3-5 inches today, or 1-2 depending on who you listen to.

Kelly

Mary Ann

We have a white world again today but the sun is shining.  We are at 25 degrees but it was 21 when I got up at 5:30 am.  I've showered and washed my hair and now I am drying off.  It is hard for me to reach my back, so I put my housecoat back on over clothes that cover my lower part and come to the computer for a half hour or so. 

I really am not awake yet, so I'll come back later.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone. It is a beautiful but bit chilly morning here in South Carolina.  We had some brisk winds yesterday and they are starting up again this morning, which effects the golfers at the Master's Tourney.  Unfortunately, most of the beautiful flowers we see at the Master's have already bloomed and gone but the course is still magnificent. I will be watching it this afternoon and the final day tomorrow.  Our company left about 9:15 this morning and plan on taking a few days on their return journey back to their home in Northern Iowa.  This was a very laid back visit and we ate out the big meals and had very simple breakfasts.  Both my sister and my brother-in-law are very thin and really don't eat much.  We did play some Spades the last two evenings and they helped Pat with her 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. 

Yesterday my BIL went with me to Walmart and I bought some planting soil and two large planters for the back porch plus a tomato plant.  We will put the tomato plant in one of the planters and we are going to put herbs in the other.  The plantings will be up high enough that we won't have to bend over very far to tend to them.  This morning I went Lowe's as forgot to get the rocks for the bottom of the planters and I also got three beautiful New Guinea Impatiens plants for our front porch.  So now I can look out my office window again at the beautiful blooms and the two low planters that had these tiny bushes that died over the window each have a blooming Impatiens plant in them.  We will have a quiet rest of the day. 

Sandy, I am also enjoying the Master's and expect it will rekindle my interest in watching the weekly golf tourney's throughout the season. 

Interesting discussions about the names of our aunts and close relatives.  One of grandmothers was Carrie Ellen and another Maude.  There are some beautiful old names.

Hal, I don't know the answer to whether the Master's course is closed until the next tournament but I rather doubt it.  Only members and invited guests are allowed to play the course.  I don't know whether there is another course their that they can plan on if the main course were to be closed.  The tournament is a very big money maker for the community and for the Augusta Country Club.  Our housekeeper told Pat that people who rent the big houses for the week often have a housekeeper service as well and that she had done that for a year or more but the pay was so low and they had to be there for 7 or 8 hours a day that it wasn't worth the $50 she was paid a day. 

Patricia, it sounds like the rain is appreciated up your way.  I tried golf in my early 20's and didn't care for it and have never played since.  However, I like watching it and most sports. People golf around here the year round.  I also remember Etta Sue from SN and then she was an active participant on the Christian Photography website for a long time but dropped that sometime ago. 

Bubble, your postings are always so positive and you are certainly an inspiration.  This is not to imply that the others who post are not also positive. 

You all in the NE are reverting back to winter temps.  Nice to know it won't last long at this time of year. 

deAngel, you are certainly not alone in having things slip your mind.  That may be God's way of having we seniors have to get more steps in a day as we go back to where we went to get what we forget to pick up while we were there.  Hope that makes sense. 

Kelly, hope you don't cut too much time from your time on the PC or Smartphone.  Those choirs can usually wait a bit.  :)

Mary Ann, this was Tom Watson's 43rd and last time to play a major tourney.  He had won at the Master's twice year ago.  I heard him being interviewed on the radio this morning and he said he will not play against the "youngsters" again but will be playing with the old timers that play on the shorter courses.  He has always been a classy fellow and obviously very well liked by all. 

Kelly

Hi Larry
I have cut my time during the day on the PC and smartphone by quite a bit. 

Kelly

halkel

Larry, I did check and it does close on 1 May each year and doesn't reopen until October.

http://amarillo.com/stories/2010/04/08/gol_golf2.shtml#.VwkhnHruadY

Also:

Mary Ann, this was Tom Watson's 43rd and last time to play a major tourney.  He had won at the Master's twice year ago.  I heard him being interviewed on the radio this morning and he said he will not play against the "youngsters" again but will be playing with the old timers that play on the shorter courses.  He has always been a classy fellow and obviously very well liked by all.

Tom is a gentlemen in every sense of the word.  I worked as a volunteer here for a few years at the Seniors tournament when Tom Watson was playing and he was friendly and polite to all the gallery.  Always with a smile.  Some of the other players were real jerks.   I loved to see him play.

Mary Ann

Larry and Hal, last year Tom Watson "retired" from the tour at St Andrews in Scotland (forget the tour name) and at that time said it was too much to walk the courses now.  When I look at the overhead shots of any of the courses, they must walk miles each round of 18 holes.  No wonder most of the golfers are young and thin.  I never played golf, but about three or four years ago got to watching it on TV, probably because there was nothing else on to interest me!  Anyway, it is interesting to watch the players line up their shots and make sure no blade of grass is in the wrong place.  It amazes me when someone is in a bunker how often their shot out comes so close to the flag.  Norm played occasionally when young, but I think it had to do with the car business - customers and co-workers. 

Mary Ann

SCFSue

I've played golf since I was in college in the 50's and I'm still a lousy golfer.  I took lessons several times and once after retirement went to a Golfing Elderhostel with my late husband.  The pro (actually several) gave us lessons and critiquing our swings, approach, putting, etc.  As many others have told me, I have a great swing--but I don't put enough into it and my tee shots just don't go very far.  At the bottom of my swing, I just seem to fade away.  However, my hubby loved to play, so I'd go with him when his buddies couldn't play.  It took me lots of nice, straight shots to get to the green while he got there very quickly.  He used the time I putzed around to walk along the rough and find golf balls!  He played on Mondays and Fridays with his golf buddies from church.  When his cancer returned the second time, they wanted him to continue to play, but he had no energy and wasn't able to do that.

He loved to watch the pro's, too, especially on Sundays during the last day of tournaments.  I sat in the den with him and read a book!

Sue

so_P_bubble

Quote from: larryhanna on April 09, 2016, 11:20:32 AM
Bubble, your postings are always so positive and you are certainly an inspiration.  This is not to imply that the others who post are not also positive. 

Thank you LarryHanna.  My Motto is "one day at a time and always with a smile"

wjoan

Gee, all this snow and we are having temps in the 80's.  Someone should  have a chat with Mother Nature.   :coolsmiley:

Mary Ann

Joan, I think Mother Nature has her calendar mixed up; she is just prolonging each season.  Pretty soon we'll have snow in the summer and bright sun in the winter.  Horrible thought.

SueSCF, I especially like to watch golf on Sundays, the last days of the tours.  The games are usually quite close and often there is a playoff.  I don't have a favorite player, but I do like the young crop of players.  And it doesn't matter which country they're from. 

Tom has just left to visit a long-time friend in Charlotte MI, about 100 miles from here.  He'll be back late tonight.  I told him how I used to get to Charlotte when driving to Indianapolis and he said he liked to take the back roads.  I might, too, if Charlotte was my destination, but going to Indy, I had much further to go.  That was before I started taking State roads to get there.

Mary Ann

angelface555

:) Good Morning all! Another chilly morning going up warmer through the afternoon and evening.

Larry, Etta Sue is a fixture on Facebook and has a new boyfriend so she has been posting some photos and talks about their adventures. I am so happy for her!

Our springs are different than the lower 48 states as we have so little moisture or humidity here. After the snow melts, there is a period of a week, sometimes two, when everything is brown or grey. Then we will get two or three days of steady rain and then all is budding out. The brown all gets a green tinge and suddenly within a few short hours, everything is green and unfurled. We are in the rain part of the process.

I am so glad to see new and old members and that those are reaching out and checking out and posting in new to them discussions and bringing fresh air and new ideas to older members and posters. Now that was either convoluted or run on...I'm not sure which but I hope understandable!

Anyway I'm off to pick up a few items and out to lunch with Tamra who has returned from the Ukraine. Unfortunately, her father has died from a long time of ill health and her youngest son remains missing.

I hope everyone is having a good day and that it gets better!

wjoan

Gee Mary Ann I sure hope not.  LOL

MaryPage

I wonder if a flipping of the seasons will come with the flipping of the magnetic poles?  Would love to know!

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/get-ready-for-earths-magnetic-field-to-flip-upside-down

Sandy

Perhaps we all should get ready for a
"Flipping Good Time" !!   
(giggle)

Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MaryPage

Is anyone besides me old enough to remember America's Poor Little Rich Girl?  That is what the newspapers and radio news announcers always called her.  For any of you near my age, the name Gloria Vanderbilt will immediately come to mind.  Unless, of course, you suffer a Senior Moment, as I too often do.

Well, if you have HBO, you can watch a biography/documentary tonight at nine until eleven.  NOTHING LEFT UNSAID.  She is Still Alive!  And looking better than I did at sixty, although I think she is ninety one or two.  Anderson Cooper, her remaining son, made it with her.  Fascinating to me.

Sandy

I love Anderson...  He seems to
have a good relationship with his Mom...  :thumbup:

Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MaryPage

The relationship comes off as entirely genuine, but I tell you what:  if you stood to inherit bazillions, you could/would have a fabulous relationship with ANYone!  You betcha'!

Mary Ann

I don't subscribe to HBO so I can't watch that program and I'd like to.  MaryPage, I read not too long ago that Anderson Cooper will not inherit Vanderbilt money.  I don't remember the reason why and he doesn't seem to mind because I guess he has enough of his own.

Mary Ann 

Kelly

MarsGal

I remember a book came out about Gloria Vanderbilt but I never read it. Biogaphies, especially of the rich or the entainers have never been my thing. I did not know Anderso Cooper is her son. I didn't have the TV on last night, so I missed it. HBO is sure to run it again, shortly.