Random Image

First Robin of 2018

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedee

Quote from: Mary Ann on April 09, 2016, 08:44:15 PM
I don't subscribe to HBO so I can't watch that program and I'd like to.  MaryPage, I read not too long ago that Anderson Cooper will not inherit Vanderbilt money.  I don't remember the reason why and he doesn't seem to mind because I guess he has enough of his own.

Mary Ann 

MaryAnn, I can't find a good reason or even a believable one why he isn't inheriting her money, since his brothers are. Not like any sibling I know. I found this, but it sounds like no one really knows the answer.

http://thetrustadvisor.com/featured/cnns-anderson-cooper-disinherited-from-200-million-vanderbilt-estate

I had a knockoff 'wrap' dress that she made a billion on, that I wore in the 1970s. I also wore jeans with her name on it - bless her heart, she was one of the first to move jobs out of this country.

I have to say, her plastic surgery is one of THE best I've ever seen. I was agog seeing her in a clip on CNN from the movie.

MaryPage

I watched it and was utterly fascinated.  Truly.  And mind you, I am one who is contemptuous of those who spend all their time following the rich and/or famous.  I could care less, and never watch or listen to such programming or read the books or magazines.
The reasons for my interest were two:  one that she was a vivid memory of my very young childhood, as it was perfectly true that her saga was a sensation back then.  And two, I had seen the preview shots on a news program and could not believe how she looks.
Well, it is true.  She looks YOUNGER THAN ANDERSON!  And Anderson (who makes 11m a year and does not need her money) is the 4th and last of her sons.
I liked her.  She is nothing at all like me, but I liked her.  I think she is totally honest.  And she WAS a poor little rich girl.  No doubt about it.  Viva Gloria!

larryhanna

Hi everyone. It got rather chilly here last night getting down to 39 degrees at 7 am but is now warming up a bit.  I am not sure how comfortable the people at the golf course watching the Master's have been this week.  Today should be better as I don't think we will have the gusty and steady winds of the last couple of days.  I doubt we will make it to Sunday School on time this morning but better late than never.  I did fix her some fruit and some scrambled eggs with ham and cheese to help her conserve her energy to get ready to go.  In fact we may just go to church this morning.  Nothing else on the schedule for the day.  I will watch the last round of the Master's this afternoon after listening to at least some of Don's Sunday Music program on the radio and probably getting in a little nap.

Hal, I didn't do enough research on the Master's course so thanks for the additional information.  It makes sense to get the course back in shape during the spring and summer.  I will have to ask someone if they have an alternate course for the members to play during the months the course is closed. 

Sue, many of our new friends here in North Augusta play golf, at least the men do, including my 84 year old neighbor and his somewhat younger wife. 
Motto and I think that is pretty much my Motto as well. 

Patricia, I had seen some postings from Etta Sue and knew you now has a new boyfriend and I am happy for her as well.  I don't think the shifting of the poles is something we will see in our lifetime since the article says it probably would be 2,000 years before a full flip would occur.

MaryPage, I do remember Gloria Vanderbilt but didn't realize she was still alive.  We do not have HBO so won't be able to view the program but perhaps sometime later it will be available.  That was an interesting article. 

Sandy

Good Morning from the warmer,
and breezier Rocky Coast of Maine.   

Just a few more weeks and it will be May, 
which usually is an  outstanding month
here in the North East.   

The buds come out,  They begin to bloom
and farmers plant their seeds.

Such glorious times a head.   

I do know that the Golf channel is not
showing the golf live at the masters.   
I have listened to enough of it this week
so I will wait until this afternoon,
when the real golf on the final day
of the Masters, is on CBS.   

In the meantime,  I have plenty of shows
recorded and choices on Netflix and
Amazon Prime,  to keep me happy
until then ... 

Happy and away from the bogus so
called "news" stations,  which have
nothing to do with real "news" ... 

Oh happy day!

MOM  I am glad that you had
the opportunity to watch Anderson and
his Mom.     I agree with you..
She was a poor little rich girl  and
seems to be doing well now, 
at least with her youngest boy,
Anderson. 

Sandy
:crazy2:   

Happy Sunday!  :coolsmiley:   
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Kelly

Hi Sandy
Always the chance of rain and wind in April  :)

As we can get plenty of it!

kelly

Mary Ann

MaryPage, I'm glad you enjoyed the program about Gloria Vanderbilt.  She was part of my childhood too and is a few months different in age than I am.  She had a rough childhood, being shuttled from pillar to post and I wouldn't wish it on anyone - rich or poor.

We are having a wet snow this morning and our temperature is at the freezing mark.  Dot and I did our usual - church, Mr Burger and home.  Tom is planning to go to Holland today and I wish he would not, but he'll do what he wants to do.  Radar shows freezing rain in that area.

The cat and I will be staying in today, I can tell you that.  I showed him the door and he looked at me and said, "no, thank you"!

Mary Ann

MaryPage

She was only 17 when she got married!  And he beat her up!  There was NO ONE who mentored her and taught her and cherished her.  Only that Whitney aunt came close, and she had much else to distract her.

Also, she has the sort of mind (artistically gifted) that lives in the moment.  She admits she has never planned ahead.  It took her 4th (and final) husband to teach her what a family is.

So sad.  Infinitely sad.

Lindancer

Good morning, still very chilly here, but did not get the snow that was in the forecast.

Mary Ann, I remember Gloria vandebilt, but I take more interest, as I have a picture of my grandmother in a swing at 16. taken in the ballroom of their Oakdale, NY mansion.  She lived in the gatehouse there.  Her father was a caretaker.  My mother was name after Consuela V.   The mansion is now a college.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

MaryPage, I bought a couple of books by Gloria Vanderbilt that were like craft books, showed how to do some things.  I may still have them but I have no idea where they might be.

She is a good example, at least when young, of "money can't buy happiness".

I read an article by Anderson Cooper in which he told about editing a book his mother wrote about her many romances.  He found the task quite daunting, if that is the right word.  But it was humorous.

Gloria de, that is very interesting about your grandmother's connection to the Vanderbilts.

Mary Ann

MaryPage

HBO is repeating the 2 hour documentary at 1:30 this afternoon.  Check your own television schedules, but that is what shows on mine.  It is called NOTHING LEFT UNSAID

angelface555

Good Morning from a still cool and rainy Interior. But we do need the rain to bring out the lovely greens and colorful blossoms!

I know of Gloria Vanderbilt's story but not that well. I  saw Anderson Cooper on the Tonight show with David Letterman after Cooper's coming out and Cooper said he did not need his mother's money as he had his own. He questioned just how much money someone really needed and I thought that was well said. Kathy Griffin was also on the program and you could see they were good friends. He spoke of coming out and she broke in and said he'd do anything to get away from her... :2funny:

JeanneP

I am going to have to read the Gloria Vanderbilt book. I did see her and son on TV the other day. Looks great.
No I didn't know that she had married 4 times. and thought that she only had Anderson and another one who committed suicide. Now I know she had lots of lovers. Mostly movie stars.
Andersons father was from the south and was a nobody  which at the time her family just cut her off.  It sounds like it was a good marriage. Anderson was 10 when he died.  I think her money has come from what she worked for and made herself. Good business lady. Just messed up her personal life
JeanneP

Joy

MaryPage,  I don't get HBO either, and I would have liked to see the film.  I had seen her on several talk shows during the week and it did sound like it was going to be good.  I also enjoy watching Anderson Cooper.  I know he had a younger brother who committed suicide a while back, but didn't realize that there were other brothers. And, he is the last one living now????

Now I am curious..... I am a little confused....I am assuming she was born a Vanderbilt and didn't marry into the Vanderbilt family???  I am asking this because you probably are aware that the Vanderbilts owned a huge horse breeding farm in Northern Baltimore County called Sagamore Farms. Lots of the horses who have run in the Preakness were from Sagamore Farms.  My dad worked there for a few years putting in all the roads on the farm.  He used to take me up  there on week ends to see the horses.  This would have been back in the early 40's.  I remember him talking about Mr. Vanderbilt. 

Now,, the owner of Under Amour, who makes expensive sports clothing  bought Sagamore and is restoring it.  We pass by the farm every time we travel to Baltimore from Hampstead. There is  beautiful white fencing that goes all around the whole farm and the different pastures that are inside of the farm. He also is starting either a brewery or a distillery which will go under the name of Sagamore.

Just a few little tidbits to add to the story of the Vanderbilts.  I agree that she does look great for being 92.

Joy

BIG BOX

Joy

Patricia,

Yes, Anderson and Kathy Griffin have been doing one of the New Year's Eve specials from New York for the past several years.  I don't like Kathy Griffin as I think she is very crude and obnoxious.  I am really surprised that he does the show with her, because so many times I have seen him on different shows, where  he seems to get very embarrassed by some of the very mild conversations that take place.  I really do like him, but just  don't watch the New Year's Eve show that he does with Griffin.

Joy
BIG BOX

Sandy

Joy ...

That is the only New Years Eve program
that I will watch!   lol 

I think that they are funny together and
cute.   

I know that they have great ratings:

"CNN’s New Year’s Eve Live with Anderson Cooper and Griffin finished No. 1 on cable news among both total viewers and the key A25-54 demo in the half hour leading up to 2016, and the first half hour of it."  ... 

But again,  it is all personal taste.     As it should
be.   The beauty of us having tv in our  own space. 
We like or dislike what ever we choose!!! 

(Thank goodness,  as we pay enough for it !!!)
:uglystupid2:

Sandy
:crazy2:

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

I wonder if Anderson Cooper's persona is similar to Jack Benny's cheapness or Dean Martin's drunkenness?

I really do not see someone having been raised in the circles he was and being in the entertainment industry all these years and remaining embarrassed.

I agree about personal taste. I know mine doesn't always match up with others as I prefer reading to seeing.

Sandy

From what I can tell,  and I
watch Andersen a lot...    That is his persona... 
He also giggles...  and that is even funnier.

But in spit of this persona,  he  is a very
courageous man.    He goes right into
the heart of war zones  and areas where
there are a lot of protests..   He seems to
court danger,  or at least he used to.   
That is why he is being paid so  much.   
He earns it,  IMHO!
I love that man!   

I worry about him.  As I do all those war
correspondents.

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Sandy,  and that is how I feel also.   That is what makes the world go round.  What a dull world it would be if we all felt the same about everything. 

Anderson is on with Kelly Ripken as a co-host once in a while, and I have seen him act very shy and giggle and genuinely seems uncomfortable.  They work well together.  Sometimes she will try to coax him into a dance and he just does not dance.

Joy
BIG BOX

MaryPage

I have never seen Anderson Cooper on anything other than some news segments;  perhaps sixty minutes?  I was aware he is Gloria Vanderbilt's son.

Yes, she was her father's sole heir and inherited millions when she turned 21.  She also made money of her own, but the ever increasing value of the Vanderbilt money would be the bulk of her estate, I would think.

She has THREE (3) living sons:  two by Leopold Stokowski and Anderson Cooper.  The younger Stokowski she is estranged from.

I had never heard that any of her family snubbed her when she married Cooper.  It was not in the documentary, either.

Joy

Yes, Sandy.  In most cases when there is some kind of a disaster,  Anderson is right there.  He got very close to one of the girls who was injured in the Boston bombing a few years ago.  I think she was a professional dancer and had her leg amputated.  He  followed her story for a very long time. And, he also got very close to some of the children's families from the tragedy in Sandyhook.  I think he is a very caring person.  And, that might trace back to the tragedies in his younger life. 

Joy
BIG BOX

deedee

THREE children and she only disinherited one?

Yeah, I would agree to that.

How unfair of her.

MaryPage

I thought she disinherited them all?

Sasha

Yes, Mary Ann, I signed back in not even knowing S&F had imploded. Just figured they thought I was awol. I became the proud owner of an iPhone and had to spend what seemed like months teaching myself how to make a phone call. A. G. Bell must be rolling in his grave.

Verizon promised me a decrease in the amount of my landline bill (on account of living so long). The young man also promised me a confirming email; so far I haven't seen either. I did take the time to cancel autopay with them; they had too much control over my finances for a company with such a bad reputation.

Beverly, promise me that this mental slippage you spoke of is just the result of stress. Please.

Mary Page, as adjunct to your link to magnetic field flipping, try this: http://gizmodo.com/we-finally-know-why-the-north-pole-is-moving-east-1769588584

Book recommendation for today: The Mockingbird Next Door, by Marja Mills. Get the audio version, if you can, heah?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

angelface555

Again, the reason Anderson Cooper was disinherited was because he asked his mother to do so. He felt that he had enough of his own and did not need hers as well. I'm sure he told his mother that he appreciated the thought however. And that may be one of the reasons they are close.

He spoke of this with David Letterman after he first came out.

Kelly

Good morning everyone
Late posting as I watched the end if the US Masters last night.

Tea for a late breakfast at near 11.0am

Kelly

halkel

Kelly, what an ending to the Masters.  Speith certainly blew it big time.  But the young man that won, Willet, certainly did win it. :thumbup:

Kelly

Hi Hal
While one  would like their countryman to win it, the winner is the game of golf.  So many great golfers playing now.

And the course at Augusta is something special!

Kelly

halkel

You are right there Kelly, even the amateur, who was I think +5 did a great job for that course.  He has a great future.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Today started out for me at 52 degrees and is to get to 75 this afternoon, another beautiful day.  I have a light schedule for today.  I plan on attending a meeting at noon today and will stop at Target either as I go to the meeting or afterwards to get some gardening tools.  I really enjoyed the golf tournament yesterday and its very surprising finish.  I felt for Jordan Spieth as his game fell apart toward the end after having led the tournament for three days and it looked like he was going to win again yesterday. 

Interesting discussions regarding Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper.  I have nothing to add to the conversation regarding either. 

Kelly, yesterday will be a memorable day at the Master's for a long time to come.  It was sad that the beautiful flowers around the course had already bloomed and were gone.  I think those we saw were pictures from earlier years. 

Hal, I saw and interview with the Amateur player and he said he is turning pro today as is ready for a paycheck.  I agree there are many exciting young players on the tour now and each week will be a challenge to them all. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone... 

Yes the Augusta National PGA  Masters sure was
exciting near the end.   

My guy (Jason Day - who was number one in the world)
didn't have a very good time at the Masters.    I was
disappointed that he didn't do better. 

I like Jordon Spieth,  but  he is young and
certainly has a great future! 
There are lots of lessons to be learned
in golf.   

I also like the fact that there are so
many younger and older golfers
that are doing well.    IMHO,  it makes the
game more interesting and exciting.
Congratulations to Danny  Willet for becoming
a Masters Champion!