Random Image

flowers

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
 LARRY AND GLORIA DE ! 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Good afternoon from a very humid, cloudy, and blustery Interior! After a week of sleet and freezing rain, we had three inches of snow yesterday with another four inches expected today. Its plus 33 out with wind gusts running about 31 MPH. This winter has, so far, been more like the lower 48 than the usual dry Arctic weather.

Farrah has been very close and affectionate lately, even playing with some long ignored toys. With my emphasis on classes, she has been bored. However, she is excited about what's happening outside the windows again. The combined many winter flocks of small sparrows, wrens, juncos, chickadees, pine siskins, and other little birds have returned to this locale.

The small flocks of different species combine into a large multiple species' crowd in the fall for more protection and head out in the bush. In the Spring they return to this area until about mid-March when they break up into the smaller same species flocks for the summer. In the meantime, Farrah has a front row seat for some amazing aerial acrobatics.

Shirleyn, I hope that these treatments help to at least eradicate your illness after making you feel so bad!

I can tell you that it will pass as I went through my colon cancer in 2000, but it's probably not much help to you right now.

I wanted to wish you Gloria and you Larry, a very happy birthday! I hope everything happening today is just as you would wish and makes for a delightful day! February is the only month out of twelve that there isn't one or more birthdays in my family. January, July, and October have three each.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I think I'll pass.

We have a white-on-white world today.  Tom said it is blowing a lot; he just came in from Breakfast at Mc Donald's.  You can hardly see the lighthouses at Grand Haven.  I'm snug as a bug in a rug inside.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a truly beautiful day here today with sun and breezy weather.  Yesterday we set a new high record for our area in our area of 80 degrees but it was rainy.  They predicted we would get some severe thunderstorms and while we had about an hour of rain late in the day I didn't hear any thunder.  I did get a good night of bed sleep last night, which always helps.  Scott came out and spend an hour or so with us and brought me some birthday cookies.  I have a light schedule for today with a friend coming at 10 am to work with me for an hour.  Sometime today my new Chromebook, computer-tablet is being delivered so I will be spending a little time getting it set up. Pat and Scott plan on going to the Wednesday night dinners at the Church and I will have a little piece of the dinner I had a couple of days ago at Diablos.

Sandy, glad you were able to get out and do your errands before the storm hit your area.  From the news reports last night it sounds like it wasn't going to stick around very long although sure did a lot of damage.  I hope you missed the ice.  The lady stuck me three times in different places and my veins kept rolling so she found another lady who was able to complete the job with one stick.  So I have some new battle wounds.  I have one more blood draw, which I will do next week sometime and I hope that is it for awhile.  I agree it is hard to give up our routines but not having the energy or the breath to do them is a pretty good incentive. 

Mary Ann, I hope that freezing rain stayed away from your area.  I hope to be around for more birthdays as well as still have a lot of living I would like to do.  My main activity each day also relates to the computers.  I hate having blood drawn through the top of my hand.

Lindancer, I never had a Lincoln logs as a birthday cake but that was a cleaver idea. 

Jackie, I think anyone turning 100 here can be sent a card from the White House with the Presidents signature (of course that is applied by an auto pen).  Your Queen is pretty amazing to keep up the schedule she does. 

Marilyne, I can't really say I am feeling better but always hope each morning brings such a feeling.  Those would not have been the names I would have thought of for my great grandchildren but they didn't consult me.  :)

Callie, we learn to tolerate being stuck by a needle.  I saw my poor daughter have to check her blood sugar three times a day.  I had to give myself injections of Interferon three times a week for a year and soon it became pretty routine.  The good thing is it worked and I am now immune to Hep C. 

Joy, I hope your granddaughter had a great 26th birthday although probably not a pleasant day if she is close to the delivery date of her second little girl. 

Patricia, very interesting about the behavior of the birds in your area.  Glad Farrah is being entertained while you are busy with your classes. 

Finally, let me once again say a big thank you for all the remembrances of my Birthday. Each one is special to me.

Marilyne

Good morning to everyone.  The freezing cold has gone away, and we now have a good steady rain falling.  I get a kick out of the new meteorological terms being used by our weather people on TV.  What used to be a severe "Cold Front", in the East, is now a "Polar Vortex".  Here in California, what used to be the "Pineapple Express", is now called the "Atmospheric River".  Whatever they decide to call it, it's happening here today!

Mary Ann - I looked at Grand Haven, but I got the blank screen this morning.  That happens every so often, but always returns later.  Probably related to the webcam, and the extreme weather?

I see on the news, that schools are closed again in most major areas in the Midwest and N. East.  It seems that the accumulated "snow days" have really added up to weeks this year?  I'm wondering if they make up for all the days/weeks lost, at the end of the school year? That's one thing that's unheard of in California - closing the schools because of bad weather?  In my lifetime, I don't remember the school ever being closed, except during the wildfires, when the schools have actually burned.

Larry - The thought of having blood drawn from the top of the hand, sounds like it would be very painful.  My veins are prominent on my arms, so I haven't had any problems, so far.  My brother also had Hep-C, and had the interferon injections, but he went into Kaiser, a number of times a week, for a year, and they were administered there. He was pretty worn down by the time the year was up, but they did work!

angelface555

Good morning from another cloudy day in the Interior. We did get about seven inches of snow the past two days with little remaining. This afternoon, we are told to expect more light snow building to a snow squall late this afternoon Three to six inches of snow perhaps coating to an inch.

Lindancer

Good evening on a cold windy Feb. Day

Thanks again to all my cyber friends for their good wishes fro my birthday.

Larry, after I have been in the hospital for 4 days, they end up putting a port in the back of my hands. that is uncomfortable.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Gloria, several years ago when I was in the hospital, a phlebotomist would come in every four hours to draw blood and that's when they began taking it from the top of my hand.  Now when I have blood drawn and my elbow doesn't want to work, I suggest they take it from the top of my hand; it's lots better than frogging around my elbow trying to find a vein.

Tom and I just returned from Holland where we baby sat the twins.  I'm amazed at how good those girls are and were.  No arguing and no crying.  James and Alicia had a meeting at church so Tom asked if I'd like to go with him.  He'll go again Friday night but it will be for a longer time.  I can go if I wish, but probably will not.  We stopped at an Arby's for sandwiches on the way.

As Kendrick was alone while we were gone, now that we are back, he expects I'm going to pay attention to him.  I gave him some catnip, but that was good for about two minutes. 

It is nearing bedtime.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

JeanneP

angelface555

"It's not the destination but the journey that defines us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

[attach name=Night+Bridge.jpg type=image/jpeg]8541[/attach]

Joy

Good morning.  It is a pretty sunny morning, but still very cold.  They are predicting more snow on Sat. and then again next Tues. and Wed.   Sure am anxious for spring to arrive.

Patricia,  that is such an unusual picture you posted this morning.  I always like black and white pictures.  Beautiful contrast.

I am in a hurry this morning. I am expecting a grocery order around 11 a.m. and need to clean up my breakfast dishes and get dressed.

MaryAnn, sounds like you had a nice visit with the twins.  Nice that you were able to go with Tom and get to see them. 
I am sure they are getting to be very busy little girls. 

Marilyne, When I go for bloodwork, they always have a time finding a vein.  And,, lots of times they will draw it from the top of my hand.  It really doesn't feel any different than if they take it from my arm. Last time I went, I told the nurse she did a great job.  She was able to find a vein right away and it never even left a bruise.  It just really depends on how good the one is who is doing the job.  There are good phlebotomist and there are "great" ones.  It really takes a special calling.  When my husband used to have to go, he had MS and had trouble walking, so the place where we would go, the nurse came right out to the car for him.  We really appreciated that service.

Larry, so happy to see you posting a little more.  You are missed when you don't show up.  I know how you feel when you can't really do the things you want to.  But, just hang in there and take each day as it comes.  Not easy to have to make drastic changes, I know.

I hope everyone will haven an enjoyable day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

Took an MS fall this morning, tripped on the kitchen floor rug, our feet dont get lifted high enough.... tried to grab hold of the kitchen chair or table, went down, landed on my good leg, my left leg knee bent right back with my full weight on it...If anyone is aware, we with MS if we have a fall, we cant be pulled up from the front, we have to either turn over and walk on our knees or scoot our backside to somewhere solid we can grab hold of and pull ourselves up by it, turning back onto our knees, we can only get up by ourselves..I am ok now, just walking slower than my usual slow, with extra caution...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, I hope you don't have too many aches and/or pains from your fall.  Even I, without MS, have to use your method of getting up.  Then there was the time I slid off my bed and landed on my back on the floor between two pieces of furniture.  For 45 minutes, I hollered for Tom, who was in the lower level.  I had a phone in the room but it was near my feet.  It took a long time before I could knock the phone off the table, then reach it to call Tom on the phone.  I wasn't hurt, well, maybe my pride, but it wasn't a fun thing. Why do you have loose rugs in the kitchen with your MS.  Is that allowed?

Patricia, that is an interesting picture. 

Joy, Tom was happy that the girls spent a lot of time with me.  I had to wrap "Baby" (doll) up in her blanket several times and I read a story - my activity was mostly with Ellie, the smaller of the two.  But Jo brought things to me too.  Jo has curly hair and Ellie has straight hair, both have the same color red as their mother. Their father's hair was carrot-red when he was young, but he now has auburn hair.  The girls and their mother had made valentines for me.  They didn't have cards so used liner paper and I'll treasure them.  I did not send any valentines, myself, but I can go to Jacquie Lawson but the only trouble with that is I have to send them to the parents and both work and it would be suppertime before they'd get home and who knows when they'd get on their computers.  I may do it anyway; I send animated cards for the kids.

Tom is subbing this morning and I'm sure he said it was for some Special Ed children.  He has a lot of patience but I think he has not been around Special Ed kids any length of time, if at all.  It will be interesting to hear what he says about it.  I think he also will sub tomorrow. 

The sun is shining and we are at 35 degrees.  Our drive to Holland yesterday, was on clear pavement, a treat after so many snowy days.

Mary Ann

Joy

Jackie, I am so sorry that you had a fall, but glad that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I am sure you are aware that you should get rid of ALL your scatter rugs.  They are a big No-No.  I don't have any scatter rugs in my place at all, and didn't have them when my husband was still living.  In fact, when we moved into a condo, we had all wood floors put in, as he had a difficult time walking on carpet.

Sure hope you won't have any lasting effects from the fall.  Be careful !!!!  :)

Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

Mary Ann,  I just looked at the Grand Haven web cam and I can hardly stand to look at it, it makes me feel so cold.  Brr!  Brr!

Didn't see anybody around anywhere.

I am happy that you got to play "dolls"  with the girls.  I don't get a chance to do that with my little ones.  I don't see them that often.  Plus,  I don't think I have even seen them with dolls !   I had made one of those topsy-turvy ones for Addy, the 6 year old, but I have never seen her have it with her anytime.  Kids today have so many toys and things to do, that they just get so bored with them.  And, when they are old enough for a tablet, that is all they want to do.  Kind of sad, I think.  I think they miss out on so much of the fun we had when we were little.  In don't think kids jump rope anymore, or play hide and seek, just to name a couple.  Guess I am showing my age.  LOL

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  I am just going to check in this morning as don't have much energy.  I had an 8 am doctor's appointment and I think it used up my quota of energy for today.

Vanilla-Jackie

They are grip rugs...but easy for me to catch my foot on a corner which I'm sure is what happened this morning...otherwise slippery wooden floor  panels underneath..
" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

Larry - I hope that your doctor appointment this morning was a positive one, and that she is happy with your progress?

Joy - I feel bad also, that the children of today don't play the energetic games that we played when we were kids.  Our own children played those outside games too.  Jump rope was one of my favorites, and both of my daughters liked it too.  Remember . . .
Ice cream soda, Delaware punch
Tell me the name your honey bunch.
A - B - C -
(and on and on through the alphabet!)

We also played Kick the Can, Hide and Seek, I Want a Beckon, plus all the ball games.  Oh, I almost forgot - Red Rover! :)

Mary Ann - I hope Tom has a good day at school with the Special Ed children? I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to be better behaved than the other kids.  My granddaughter Claire, was in Special Ed, all through public school, and I never heard feedback from my daughter that they were any more rowdy in that class, than in any other. Sounds like you had a nice day yesterday with Johanna and Eleanor.  Please post any new pictures of them that you might have? I'd love to see what they look like now.

Jackie - Sorry about your fall!  I removed all scatter type rugs in the house, because I was afraid one of us would trip. Even the bathmat by the shower makes me feel somewhat nervous, because it "moves" on the floor a little bit.  I need to get one with the rubber backing, that doesn't slip.

Patricia - I like the picture, and the quote, from Ralph Waldo Emerson. 

Mary Ann

When I was young, we had a couple of fields to play in and we were outdoors most of the time.  I also remember reading books, but don't ask me which ones other than the Bobsey twins.  Our grade school was a block away and had a library, so it was nothing for me to go to the library and come home with eight books.  Another book was Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates, but with getting books about every other week, I read a lot.  I read a lot until the last few years when my eyes started bothering me and I've settled on biographies as to my favorites.  We'd play outside in all seasons.  Next to us was a vacant lot and we'd "dig to China" in the sand.  We all got a lot of sand burrs too.  It just occurred to me that I haven't seen a sand burr in years.  Others in our neighborhood lived the same type of life that I did.  Oh, the girls would sit on a neighbor's porch and play Jacks.  Or Simon Says.  Yes, Marilyn, we jumped rope, mostly at school because we didn't have a sidewalk yet.  We also took our skates to the school sidewalk and skated.  The old time skates that fastened to the soles of your shoes.

Tom had a so-so day at school.  The children were deaf so difficult to communicate.  I am sure Tom cannot sign.  His school day ended at noon so he didn't get paid much.  Tomorrow is another day.

Jackie - you can't win - throw rugs or slippery wood floors.

Joy, the doll isn't what we think of with a doll, but a stuffed doll.  But that was Ellie's "baby".  But she was happy when I'd wrap Baby in a blanket.  At the end of the day, both girls lay on the floor and I covered them with the blankets and they almost went to sleep, but they weren't quite ready so were wide awake when their parents came home.  We left at that point.

Marilyn, I'll see about sending a picture to someone to post for me as I did take a couple and the girls were happy to see their pictures.

Tom has left for Holland again to see James about a web site they're working on.  I've had lunch and I'm thinking it is nap time.

I'm sorry you're out of energy, Larry, but thanks for checking in.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from another snowy Interior! It has been so much warmer and thus more humid this week. It's expected to cool down slightly over the weekend and then become warmer again by Monday.

Thanks for enjoying my "Picture!" It is actually a graphic I made with PaintShop Pro. I did two layers, one white, then one black. I then took a PSP graphic, layered the three levels, then inverted it before merging the levels. Bubble and I both enjoy the craft and Bubble is very good. I tend to go off on tangents such as with this PSP graphic. We also do the holiday cards with PSP.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=149795

We played outdoors mostly after our chores were done, playing many of the games you mentioned as well as a love for our small, (at that time); library. My neighborhood was full of boys except for my sisters and me, so our play was bike riding, building tree houses, and games such as baseball. During school, we played line games such as red rover and jump rope. In the winter we sledded with sleds or cardboard. Often the entire family would go to visit friends who had a three-mile curving private road, and we would sled the entire icy length before being picked up by cars and brought back to their house for hot chocolate. Altho I know the parents' chocolate was spiked.

angelface555

Abe Lincoln at age 24 and the pursuit, (or not); of matrimony.

https://tinyurl.com/yyvfrrsx

Mary Ann

Patricia, that URL took me eventually to Guatemala and Tikal where I had been in 1976.  I wanted to go to Tikal so bad I paid for my then SIL (Norm's first wife) to go with me.  I know I enjoyed the trip and I believe she did too.  I don't recall seeing the dismantled pyramid but saw others and climbed half way up one.  Lincoln's letters were interesting, but the piece on Guatemala took the cake.

We're all the way up to 42 degrees.  Another heat wave!!!

The sky in Grand Haven does not look good and it is west of us.  Shudder!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - That was not a very happy Valentine love story! ;D  I have to say, that Mary Owens, doesn't look that great, but Lincoln was not such a good catch himself, if that portrait of him is at all accurate.  They both look more like 54, instead of 24!  I wonder if she was still living, when he was elected President?

Mary Ann - I haven't looked at Guatemala and Tikal yet, but will check it out when I finish here in S&F.  I did look at Grand Haven, and it's certainly a sight to behold! :o  It doesn't look real to me, because I've never seen anything like it! I'm pretty sure it wasn't this frozen over last year, or the year before?

Mary Ann

Marilyn, some of Lake Michigan gets frozen every year, especially when our temperatures are under 32 degrees much of the winter.  What you see is tame because much of it has had ice formations in the past.  People walk on the ice to the outer lighthouse and while that is not a smart thing to do, some people are not very smart.  The formations come from the freezing temperatures and high winds that sometimes occur.  We have a saying in Michigan in winter - This is Michigan; get used to it!

One more thing - the Great Lakes are fresh-water lakes, not salt-water, so all of them freeze to some extent.  In recent years, Lake Superior has frozen nearly 100% at one time or another.  It is the deepest of the lakes, I think.  Lake Erie is the most shallow and the first one to freeze completely. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I just came from the cam and there are people on both the pier by the lighthouse and the ice. I do remember earlier similar winter iced photos.

The articles of both Atlas Obscura and LightScience are why I have a daily and weekly email subscription. While neither were any beauty winners, Lincoln did say things that would lead her to believe he was interested and when she returned, he fled and was not very complimentary about her looks.

The article said she married at 33 and had two sons that fought against the Union. She stated at one time that Lincoln, "was deficient in those little links which make up the great chain of a woman's happiness." He was upset that she ended it after all his bad behavior and saw himself as blameless according to his own letters. He also tried to get out of his engagement to Mary Todd before marrying her.

It makes you think about how much of our history was whitewashed.

Mary Ann

Patricia, it's too late for me to see anything at Grand Haven, but I will say when the formations are created by the wind, they are often quite high and have openings in them and people do walk through the holes.

I've heard that Lincoln was rather outspoken, sometimes not too polite.  From what I've read, I've thought he was a good president, but looking back, my favorite was Truman - Give 'em hell, Harry". 

Mary Ann

angelface555

You can be a good president or administrator and not have the gift of charm or charisma. And even behave quite badly in your personal life. Some lucky ones have both.

And some have charisma, charm and no sense of decency at all. According to one of my classes in abnormal personalities last fall, many sociopaths have a strong sense of charm all the better to smooth their way and get what they want easier.

For example, a narcissist strongly believes that they are better than anyone, in every possible way, no matter what happens it doesn't change that belief. And the most ignorant among them believes the strongest in their grasp of all the facts. The other person is always, always wrong even if "they" won't admit it, the narcissist believes "they" and everyone else knows that the narcissist is right.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Just a few words today.  I did get my new Chromebook on Wednesday but yesterday it went into a loop that I could not get it to stop.  I called ASUS technical support and the things he told me to do wouldn't stop the loop.  He agreed with me that I should return it to Amazon and request a replacement.  I did request a replacement and it is to be here tomorrow.  Now that is good customer service.  I have the return label and Pat or Scott will have to  drop it off at the UPS store in the next few days. I will read through the postings but don't have the energy today to write individual comments.  I seem to be getting weaker by the day.  Sure glad I don't have to go anywhere for several days.

Mary Ann

Larry, I'm sorry your energy level is so low, but what you have written is what we want to hear, not necessarily comments to our comments.  I hope the next Chrome book works OK; it's aggravating when something new doesn't work right.

It is a cold morning here so far and I think it is going to stay that way.  We are at 20 degrees now at almost 11 am.  I've had breakfast.  Tom is still downstairs and came home last night not feeling as well as he should.  I've heard him stirring so I know he is up.  Kendrick has been in and out of this room, wanting attention, which I try to give him.  I sprinkle catnip in his bed and he eats it immediately. 

I'm not dressed yet but I'll start soon. 

Mary Ann