Random Image

anthem.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for September 1, 2019

Started by so_P_bubble, August 31, 2019, 11:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Another day  going fast. I did manage to get a few things done. Pulled on little garden out then managed to cut some fabric for another quilt.

Jane, they love sleeping in also..sometime in the night Babe may want out but not too often.

Talked with my niece yesterday and she is moving to PEI..they had a vacation there this summer, fell in love with the island and will move come March!  We loved the east coast and would go back if we could but that isn't to be. Thankfully we did do a lot of travelling in the past.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Amy, my theme for many years has been:  I'm busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, trying to find something else not to do".

We used to have a woman who summered on PEI and lived in Chicago in the winter.  Like Shirley and her feral cats, this woman did the same with foxes on the island.  I wish I could remember her name.  Her posts were very interesting because of the foxes.  I don't think she named the foxes individually, but she had a different name for each yearly group.

Mary Ann

JaneS

Oh no!  now I have 3 kid songs rolling around in my brain!  HELP!

Well, I'm ready for bed.  I did 3 weeks worth of laundry (that included this weeks bed sheets and blanket, pillow cases, mattress pad)  It was also all the towels that got used when Christy and Frankie were here.  I think it was about 8 loads.  I cooked and stored the meat for the veggie soup, took the dogs for 3 short walks, went to the store for laundry detergent and toothpaste.  I'm trying to figure out what it is that's making me itch all the time and Frankie mentioned that the towels made her head itch so I'm thinking maybe the laundry detergent.  I got some of that all natural 7th Generation stuff to try.  It says it's dermatologist recommended.  We shall see.

I also inventoried all my home canned goods and made a list so I can mark them off when I use them. 

I think I deserve to sleep well tonight. It was all "stuff" but it needed to be done and I did it!

Please keep my BIL (the one I call my BROTHER) in your prayers.  They found a severe leak in his mitral valve and they are tryig to decide if he is strong enough for the surgery to repair it.  It seems like it might be a no win situation.  Can he stand the surgery to fix it or can he live without fixing it!  He's 90 years old! And this isn't his only problem!

I'm putting it in God's hands and trying not to worry.  We all love him!

Good night my friends!  Sleep peacefully and wake to a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Shirley

Wow, Jane, I was proud of getting ONE load of laundry done today. You do keep moving!  Sorry about your BIL, don't know if that valve can be repaired/replaced like the aortic... through the artery (or is it vein?). Prayers he/they make the right decision.

Well, Gloria, I am happy for you but jealous that you have had some cool nights. We can't seem to get a break, 90s & humid & tomorrow promised strong winds. I have weather on my Kindle so check my fav spots in MO & CO when I check Wichita... Even they are hot these days, but cooler at night then we are.  :tissue: I've got to buy some more Kleenex or Puffs Plus.

Mary Ann, I don't know what it is that eats the food I take down to the river. I have not seen any fox this year but know they are all around. The cats were not afraid when just one out back, but wouldn't get out of the pool area when they saw two. I think they realize they can be trapped. Cats only go down to the river when I am with them, not sure if they do at night. There are no trees on the long bank before getting to the river bank so probably could not out run the fox.

Amy, I am impressed with your niece moving to PEI.... how exciting. I can't imagine wanting to live on an island... I do not like big bodies of water. We would have called this river behind my house a "creek"... but it is the Arkansas River. Big difference, I an see the other side. I went to England & back on a ship.... couldn't get me on a cruise for all the gold in Ft.Knox! I shudder, get goose bumps thinking about it. I loved seeing the Gulf, both coasts up & down, but almost held my breath when looking at the vast amount of water. Don't know where that fear comes from, but it's real.

I'll turn out the lights.... maybe Jenn or Lloyd will be around later so maybe leave them on for a while. I'm off to sleep, got a busy day tomorrow (doing nothing!)  :2funny:

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS at least your brain is still moving, and I am missing peter also. I got on Skype and could not raise him either, I fell asleep watching a western. I hope now when i get in bed I can fall back to sleep. sweet dreams to all hope to see you all tomorrow. Good Night.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone, looks like I will have the AC on  today. Already 67° and muggy. Well the guessers did say by mid week it would feel like summer again. Right for a change.

PHYLLIS  for a few nights when it was cooler and lower humidity I did sleep good but  woke too early this morning, 6:am and here I am already having my first cup of coffee. Of course I had the bed room window open and I  think  the dampness moved in and woke me. Cannot call this Indian summer, no frost yet.

JOY  my doctor took 3 pills away and I feel no difference without them.

JANE  right you are but warmer without the humidity would not be too bad. I look forward to cooler and dryer weather like we had the last few days. Oh well Mother Nature will do as she pleases. Gosh all those hours between your posts and no one was here. I sure dislike how few post here now. Remember how many we had in the good days in the Nest?

MARILYNE  oh wow hat Playmates is good to hear. I liked Kay Kyser, saw him at one of the heaters in Providence years ago. That was when he picked someone from the audience to lead his band.

AMY  oh boy the 7 Dwarfs and I sure remember this one, too.

JANE  I find that Tide makes me itch like crazy. I use the Arm and Hammer detergent now and no more scratching. So sorry what your "brother" is going through. I know when you mention your brother who you are talking about. My oldest son's wife I call my second daughter. She is a very loving person, the only girl he ever dated. My daughter and her act like loving sisters when they are together.

SHIRLEY  those wonderful cooler days and nights are taking a nap again. Will not enjoy today. Oh that hempvana you were talking about a few days ago, saw an ad for it on TV a few days ago so went on line to check it.  Nothing but good reviews about it so ordered it. For $20.00 if it doesn't work no big loss. I had ordered a CBD cream/salve and it cost $90. did not help at all. You would be surprised the people who have asked me what coast this state is off of. With the name Rhode Island makes me wonder if so many people do not remember their history or geography. Lot of history in this state.

LLOYD  hope you had a good night's sleep after the nap you had.

Have a good day everyone.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Rain over night and it could just be a rainy day today.

Have some have to do jobs today, friend brought over two huge zucchinis so they will be grated up for cakes/loaves later on. Have celery to cut into pieces and freeze for soups/ stews later on.

Phyliss, when my friend told me about those exercises she said do the right then left hold for 4 second then hold your head down to your boobs. Told her no, can't. Yes ,she said you can! No ,I said can't. Well then she wanted to know why?? I said I can't hold my head down to my belly button!!! That made her laugh! But I did do and I am going to do the exercise each day and many times a day if I can remember.

Jane, I sure hope you can rest today. Kyle gets that itch when I used Tide. Can't use it but use Sunlight now. Prayers for you Bil, they now know what the problem is and can deal with it.

Gloria, crows are really making a noise out side right now, they too are gathering up. We are to get warmer weather for the next few days and I for one am not too happy about that.

Lloyd, hope you have a restful day.

Shirley, I would go in a heart beat..loved it there but I also love water. Either the east coast or the Yukon for me, loved it there also.

Better get a move on here.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

Summer is still here.  I plan to stay in and do some household laundry but, will NOT do 8 loads, thank you very much!  I feel like fainting at the thought of all that laundry.  :stars:   Tide deterg. would make Tom's eczema flare up but I liked how well it cleaned the clothes.  I switched to Tide Free and Gentle and that worked.  I still use it. 

The phys. therapist was here again yesterday afternoon.  I accused him of making me work too hard.  He started out so easy with chair exercises but has advanced now to doing walking and "kicks" with a large rubber band around my legs to increase resistance.  Makes me tired!  He assures me that in 4 to 6 weeks I will be stronger and my balance will be better.  I'm counting on him to be right!

I didn't feel like thinking of making dinner when he left at 5 p.m. so I just dumped some pasta, frozen meat balls, and sauce in the IP and it was ready in less than 30 min.  It was good, too, with enough left over to freeze for another meal.

Amy, I REFUSE to listen to those old songs.....I've got enough useless stuff crammed into my head without adding more!   :uglystupid2:   You made me laugh about pushing your head down to your boobs.   I'm with you.....can't go down that far!

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I sure slept well last night.  But when I got up this morning, I discovered one thing I forgot to do.  I meant to start the dishwasher before going to bed last night and I forgot.  I never run it until it's FULL and last night it was.  And I'm running low on spoons, too.  Oh well!  It's running now.

Thanks for your good thoughts and prayers for JIM, my BROTHER!  I'm waiting to hear what they decided.  My sister said they probably wouldn't know until today.  And, yes SHIRLEY, they go through a bloodvessel but I forgot which one. 

I'll be off to Wally World this morning so wish me smiles!  They sure do make the day go faster. 

PHYLLIS, I hope you're feeling lots better today and even better tomorrow.  That should put you at "great" for the weekend! 

CAROL, I forgot to comment on your good news about your healing process.  I'm happy for you for escaping the BIG one! 

Now, I think I better get my day started before it gets away from me. 

I wish you all a lovely day!
Make it your own in every way!

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. well I had take two treys at it but got a good nights sleep. hope you all have a great day, am going to V A today and pay my bill and try to get a new mask and new tubing for it. it said I need both in the last few days. I do not know how it is so smart to know what it going on. it also knows when it leaks. if it dose not leak it has two smiley faces blue it cooler, if it leaks one of the is red sad face. sun is shining clear 73º and calling for 88º today. what is for this time of year but i would like cool temp like in spring or fall. see you all later.

Lloyd

Shirley

I've got half a dozen things started but wanted to tell y'all right now, before I forget.... the latest disaster I created. Phone rang while I was having myself a 2nd breakfast (egg sandwich), I was up at 4:30 & had 3 Eggos & went back to bed. My tummy does not appreciate sweets when empty so was not happy when I got up again. Fried my egg & decided to fry 2 eggs I had been moving to new cartons until I get around to cooking them to take to the river. They were cracked when I got them home & do not eat cracked eggs, cause "they" say not to.

Anyway, was eating my sandwich, waiting for a new pot of coffee to drain down & had those 2 eggs frying ... watching TV. Phone rang & I quickly swallowed what was in my mouth, got interested in conversation with my friend & NOSE told me I forgot those eggs. Burned to a crisp... that got me tickled with so many of you talking about making apple crisps. I like apple anything but what I took out of that skillet was NOT APPLE... house smells awful. I did not even save the "egg crisp" to take to the river. It was crisp thru & thru!   Gloria, my mouth waters every time you mention getting a tree ripened apple so first thought was you'd be cackling if you saw the crisp I created! Sure hope that "pot-cream" works! 

Got to get busy, blankie in the washer soaking (one Tom threw up on in the RV, I just toss them into a large plastic bag to wash when we get home). #1 son is coming by this afternoon to connect the new hose to add water to the pool... the old one had little geysers all up & down to soak anyone getting near while filling. This wind is sucking the water right out & don't want the level to get below the tile. Also am to run by the doctor's office to see if he can remove the lump on my neck or if I have to go to someone else. It isn't anything serious but big enough to notice when I curl up to sleep. Watching for the mail person to come by, should be getting the check for that car window, I will have to make waves if it doesn't come soon.  Gotta get me organized! I don't multi-task as good as I used to, that's how I ended up with "egg crisp" for the trash!

JaneS

I'm just home from work and I wasn't going to reply, just read but I'm laughing so hard at SHIRLEY'S "egg crisp" that I can hardly stop!  I can imagine what your house smells like!  That's the kind of thing I tell on here and then add, don't tell Cathy I did that! 

I also forgot to tell you that among all the other stuff I got done yesterday, I took the mattress (full size) off the the bed so I could get the dust ruffle off to wash.  And when I put the dust ruffle back on, I decided to flip the mattress.  Please don't tell Cathy!

Now I'm going to take time for a short snooze, if there are any zzzzs left on the couch.  I didn't use any yesterday so they might have accumulated enough to use today.

Try not to burn anything else SHIRLEY.  It's hot enough out. You don't have to bring it in!  Be careful everyfriend!  I shall return!

Amy

Jane, do you have a recipe for "egg crisp"? I have rhubarb, apple but not egg... :2funny:  You know I am just teasing Shirley, I have made many boo boos and I am sure I am going to make many more!!!

Just came in from playing frisbee, pup sounds like a steam engine he is really panting.......do you think I tired him out?? Not likely.. While out I saw a wild strawberry plant that was in bloom!!!Think it got its seasons mixed up.

Froze celery and zucchini for the winter,checkout the garden and do have two zucchini that I hope to use in pickle. Tomatoes are slowly ripening :(

Going to go cut a bit more fabric then put my feet up for a bit.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

AMY, I don't have a recipe for "egg crisp".   But I know someone who does.  I'm pretty sure it's a special recipe and I'm not sure she'll share.  PRETTY PLEASE SHIRLEY! WILL YA SHARE?

Shirley

Well, I was sure you'd ask for that recipe..... did finally get the smell out of the house but took a lot of doing. And, Jane, you are so right, "DON'T TELL THE KIDS!"  One job at a time, can't multi-task anymore. In all my years I never did fry 2 eggs to a crisp like today. Did some serious scrubbing on that skillet. My fav/best skillet & those crispy eggs just slid out & left behind some charcoal in the bottom. Need I say more. Recipe: One absent minded cook, 2 eggs of unknown age (slightly cracked... but so was the cook); several jobs going plus eating on the run, phone call and you can't screw this recipe up, I guarantee it!   :thumbup:  :booboo:

SO hot again today. Had to put enough clothes on to visit the doctor, he will take that lump off my neck, says no problem but I think he will be surprised when he starts. It has been there at least 2 years or more. Will get it done a week from tomorrow.

And now... how many of you can remember the day Pearl Harbor was bombed?  I felt the same on 9/11. When the news came on the radio that Sunday morning about Pearl Harbor I was squatting down on the floor furnace (remember those?) with the funnies on the floor in front of me. Mother was in the kitchen & let out a scream ... to this day it sounded like an injured animal to me. She kept saying, "I have 3 sons that will be called to fight"... At that time I don't think Mother considered "older" men with families would be called up, Dad was pushing 50 with 5 kids. I realized that life would not be the same and it was not. I felt the same on 9/11, my daughter was somewhere in the air in the Eastern US. We didn't hear from her for hours, her plane was grounded and to this day I'm not sure how she got home, rented a car or what. I know she told me but those days were filled with "what ifs".... Do you think WE as a nation will pull together or are we too divided now, should we ever be attacked again?  Scary thought, isn't it?  And now to bed, I did not get enough zzzzzzzzzs last night. Hugs to all and God Bless America, with all her warts, there is no place like home! (Even if it still smells like an Egg Crisp).  Shirley

JaneS

SHIRLEY, you made my day today.  You've become a friend of my heart and I love you!  Isn't it fun to be able to laugh at ourselves?

I remember that Sunday when Pearl Harbor was attacked.  People were either talking non stop or not talking at all.  And I learned at the ripe old age of 6 and a half where in the world Pearl Harbor was located.

Good night my friends!  Sleep peacefully through the night and wake refreshed to a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Denver

Posted this a few hours ago, but it is not here....I must have forgotten to make sure it was indeed posted.

Thinking about 18 years ago......
Thinking about being in Pennsylvania and New York at our wonderful Bash......
Feeling all the caring and the supportive Americans and wishing we could all be that caring about each other today.......come on people....WE CAN BE THAT WAY AGAIN 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
I remember all the flags flying and candles burning in many of the homes.......
I 💗💗 how America was back then.....18 years ago, and it felt mighty good and I was PROUD to be an AMERICAN 🇺🇸🥰

I can not stop humming this song.......

https://youtu.be/s3MtgpL4fkI

Where were you when the world stopped turnin'
That September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or workin' on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?
Did you weep for the children, they lost their dear loved ones
Pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out with pride for the red, white, and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you
The diff'rence in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope, and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love
That September day?
Teachin' a class full of innocent children
Or drivin' down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor?
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?
Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset for the first time in ages
And speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on I Love Lucy reruns?
Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Stand in line to give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?
And the greatest is love
And the greatest is love
And the greatest is love
And the greatest is love
On that September day?

Good night dear friends💞
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Gloria

Good morning everyone, up and at em early. Have an appointment and will be out of here at 10 this morning. I try to get appointments for 1:pm but cannot be that at times. When I was still working I was up at 4:30 so those days I liked early appointments on Saturday.

AMY  I never knew you could freeze celery, I have thrown so much of it away. When I get celery with a lot of leaves I take them and wash them and let them dry, have done hat for years. Same with parsley and basil. Taste better than what one can buy in the markets.

PHYLLIS  for me 2 loads of laundry in a day was too much. Of course with 5 of us at home I did a batch every other day except when i stripped beds and that ended up with 3 loads.

JANE  I wish you would retire so you can enjoy doing just what you want to do. I have been retired 22 years now and love it. Of course it was hard at first without that weekly pay check but I adjusted fast.

LLOYD  we have rain tn the forecast today, hope it holds off till I get home. 66° here now.

SHIRLEY  I sure hope that cream works, too. I have so many different ones, even one for arthritis, but I think my CNA could use hand lotion and it would have the same effect. I think it is the massage that feels good but it wears off in a couple of hours. Hemp is NOT a pot.

JANE  oh do I remember when I could flip my mattress over, those days are so long gone. Got all I can do to move myself now.

AMY  season mixed up with that wild strawberry plant. Maybe that little area it is in has it's own weather? There is a Christmas cactus down in the community room that is in bloom now. That darn plant is sure messed up, blooms about  5 or 6  times a year. There are 2 other Christmas cacti near it and they never bloomed since I have been here.

SHIRLEY  you started my day with a good laugh then you talk about 12-7-41 and then 9-11. I remember both days and where I was at the time. All my family members cane home safe and only one got wounded.

JENNY  I remember how everyone had a flag flying after 9-11. Where is that Patriotic feeling gone? Some people do not know how to fly it either. Thanks for the link and posting all the words. Brought tears again.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. well I have read and laughed about all the problems with the egg's. now I will tell you all about a episode I had once with eggs. I put a dozen and one half eggs in a large kettle with water and salt in it to boil and Make some deviled eggs with , went in and sat down watching TV fell asleep woke up with them exploding all over the kitchen, looking like a gravel road. what a job cleaning them all off of the furniture and flour. Nancy won't let boil eggs any more without staying the kitchen with them.
I bet you all cant top that. 77º clear and heading in the mid 80º today.

Lloyd

so_P_bubble

Lloyd, I think my mom topped that  ;D
One day she decided to make baked beans in the pressure cooker pot. But she did not fix the lid properly and after a while, that lid was ejected forcefully by the steam and all the beans got plastered on the kitchen ceiling and top of the high cabinets!  You can imagine the work to scrap all that off...    :2funny:

Amy

Good morning everyone...

Lovely morning here. Have a quilt to deliver this morning then home to do whatever needs done...and a lot needs done before freeze up.

Bubble, that is one reason why I would never have a pressure cooker but do love the Instant Pot they are a lot safer to use.

Gloria, we also like early appointments, then you have the rest of the day to yourself.

Need to move it.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm getting a slow start this morning.  I was ready to go to bed last night when I discovered that I had 2 bills that had to be paid yesterday or today would have late fees.  So I did that before I went to bed and then as soon as we were settled down to sleep, the lightning and thunder started.  Both dogs shiver hard enough to shake the bed when there's lightning and thunder.  So I got back up, closed the windows, gave them both a dose of Rescue Remedy, brought Tennesee Ernie Ford in the bedroom to drown out the thunder and left the light on.  Both dogs crowded me until the thunder moved off into the distance.  I didn't have the heart to move them to their own spots so we slept crowded all night.  I could use more sleep.

I don't know what today will bring.  I'm still trying to decide.  There are things that are yelling for attention and I better get at some of them.  I don't think I'll cook any eggs or beans today!

I have to say that whenever I use my pressure canner and it's time to put the doodad on the vent, I drop it on and run around the corner.  I remember hearing my mother's canner explode sometime after I went to bed in my early teens and seeing the results of it's destruction in the morning.  It being Saturday, we all worked at the cleaning process and it wasn't easy!  I still expect mine to explode one of these days.

I better get my day started.  More bills to pay, doggies to walk, bed to make, dog food to make, a bag of onions to clean and chop for the freezer.  It sure is easier to take a little container of onions out of the freezer when a recipe needs them than it is to clean and chop them each time.  I freeze them in 1/2 cup containers.  Also need to take the trash to the dumpster.  Probably should wash up the kitchen floor when I'm all finished.I'm sure other things will rear their ugly heads and holler for attention.  Today is "whatever" day on my agenda.

I wish you all a lovely day!
Make it your own in every way!

Mary Ann

I have a messy story too, not as dramatic as eggs on the ceiling or close, but I was at my brother's house when someone shook a can of pop, then opened it.  There was pop all over the ceiling.  Messy.

Jenny, you posted that song in Norm's B&T yesterday.  I asked who sang it and Tomereader answered that Alan Jackson had sung it.

Our storm is over and we had only a blip outage which gave me five clocks to change.  I watched the Port Huron cam yesterday and it poured buckets there.  Fortunately their 9/11 ceremony had finished.

Many people have forgotten about Pearl Harbor because they weren't there.  I have an idea 9/11 will suffer the same fate.  It's kind of "you had to be alive then to remember it" thing.  There are people who say that WW II did not happen; they were not alive then.  I wasn't alive during WW I, but I am sure it  happened.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from
the cooler,  more "Fall Like "
rocky coast of Maine.. 

All is well here,  except
I am "chilly" ... 
(have to have something to
complain about)..

I just bought me a new
Google Fi Phone which I will
be getting next week ...

Time for a change.

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Shirley

Sandy, I do think that Fe is cuter than Shirley Temple at that age.   "Chilly".   :tissue:  So many of us would love to have that to complain about.

I've got another bean story, Bubble! After cooking a pot of beans very early in my life back n the "States"... using a large size pressure cooker from Mother. I turned it off, flipped the "dingle" on top off & stood in horror as all the juice shot out of the top onto the ceiling, dropping back onto the stove & behind it. Had to finally disconnect the gas line to move the stove to get it all cleaned up. Not what a tired husband wants to come home to.

Lloyd, I have never blown up a whole batch of eggs and at this age, hope that is one pleasure I don't face.

Gloria, for real, hemp is not pot?  I admit I am kinda behind on these things. Keep me posted, hope it helps. I had forgotten about drying the celery leaves, I used to do that!

Amy, how is the InstaPot different from a pressure cooker?  I have a large-large crock pot that rarely gets used, a large pressure cooker that hasn't been used since buying a medium size one (that I'm going to fix beans & ham shanks in today).. have a little Presto cooker (electric) from about 40 years ago that I still use when I want to fix candied carrots or a big pot of steamed potatoes to mash... (not often these days)... so have held out getting the Instant Pot. Also don't know which brand is the one of choice most or all of you use... I am weakening. Didn't think you could freeze celery & am always having some to throw away, I want the fresh crunch in meat spread (along with crunch of onion)... but celery is such a fresh flavor in soups & other things. Do you chop it?

Jane, I find myself wound between 2 cats a lot of times, they don't like to share with each other so one at my face & the other behind by legs. Not the best zzzzzzzzzzzs but do enjoy waking up with them being so happy. All 3 were waiting at the door when I got up the 2nd time, Callie didn't quite finish her breakfast & raced to the garage door to make sure I understood that SHE wanted to go sleep in the garage, not outside. Bless her heart, I wish I could make her understand the potty rules around here, she tries so hard to please. I know you would be just as frustrated & sad to not be able to let her hang out with the others all the time. By the way, that skillet I made the Egg Crisp in yesterday is no longer a "non-stick". Fried my egg in it this morning & it stuck like the old skillets before teflon.

Had a call from the guy that mows, will be here after while so I'd better get dressed & unlock gates. I did get at least an hour extra sleep but not sure Fitbit will give me credit, (only if an hour or more).

Mary Ann, my mother was alive during WWI and think that is why she was so upset with the news of Pearl Harbor. Don't think her brothers had to serve since they were farmers, but a lot of WWI men didn't come home and she was terrified for her sons.

Mary Ann

Shirley, my dad was in WW I, as I'm sure many fathers of those here.  Dad did not get overseas and was in OCS when the war ended.  He had to stay in a while afterward, but he didn't make the Army a career.

Norm was in the Korean War and spent his time in Germany near Heidelberg.  He was in for two years, which was normal.

Mary Ann

JaneS

My father was FARMER and was drafted for WWI.  He served in Europe and was on the French/Belgium line when the Germans used gas warfare for the first time.  Our guys were not supplied with gas masks because it was not expected.  He suffered with emphysema most of his life due to that gas and cigarettes.  When they sent him home, he went to a VA hospital in Pittsburg and after a month or so, he walked out and took a bus home.  He said the air was better on his PA farm than it would ever be in Pittsburg.

He also quit smoking later in life because he knew it aggravated his condition.  He did it in one day and that was it.  He lived almost 20 more years and surprised all the drs.

I'm making progress with the chores and I better get back to them before I forget what they are.  Keep on keeping on!

Amy

Shirley, this is for you.

I can put things in my IP and not have to stand and watch it plus not be afraid it is going to blow its lid! :)

https://twohealthykitchens.com/what-can-you-do-with-an-instant-pot/
Jimmy Dean

Marilyne

Jane - Your last message about your father, was very interesting to me.  I think you and I are about the same age, and yet your father was drafted into WWI, and my father was drafted into WWII.  Dad was drafted in the Spring of 1943, when I was nine, and my brother was six.  He served in the Navy in the Pacific, and was there until Dec. 1945, after he War was finally over.  I think he was 33 or 34 when he was drafted, along with many other married men with children, in our neighborhood.  The joke in the neighborhood was that our particular Draft Board, must have been desperate at that time, to fill their quota!

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'm not sure but I think my dad had to register for WW II.  I don't know what year he would have registered, but he was 47 in 1942.  The draft ended just before my oldest nephew, Tim, would have had to register.  Again, I don't remember the year. 

I don't know what's cooking, but it smells good.  Supper is at 7 pm.

Mary Ann