Random Image

MaryAnns new twin babies

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

General Computer Q & A

Started by RAMMEL, March 29, 2016, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Don, I didn't have that, but a recent update removed my left column where I would click on "view other entries" (or something similar).  Now I have to click on Most Visited, then Recent Unread Topics to change topics.  I have five icons on my Task Bar and they are still there.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Don,
I got my update a few days ago and as I recall all went OK regarding it's use.  However - around the same time, I was "notified" that some of my Firefox plugins war shut off because of compatibility.  I was about to panic but decided to wait.  Sure enough - in short order there were a couple of Firefox updates which corrected the problems.
I wish they would stop fixing things that aren't broke.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

jane

I, too, was apparently updated a few days ago...at least I had a notice that it'd been updated and would restart, etc.

Nothing changed here.  Bookmarks bar still at top of my Google Chrome, task bar the same, etc.

jane
[/b]

phyllis

Quote from: undefinedI wish they would stop fixing things that aren't broke.

Oh, Amen to that, Rammel!  The always intrusive Microsoft updates drive me crazy!
phyllis
Cary,NC

donklan

I ended up running SYSTEM RESTORE and resetting my computer to a week earlier.

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

RAMMEL

Quote from: donklan on May 21, 2019, 12:07:26 PMI ended up running SYSTEM RESTORE and resetting my computer to a week earlier.
Good thing that it worked.  But wondering ----- Will it do that "update" again, and if it does, will it be the same?  Let us know what happens
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JeanneP

It is Google that is messing up all mine along with My Ipad. Desktop . My Ipad again messed up. Will not shut down and some Asian Voice. Chinese sound like. just keep talking. Will have to take it over to Best Buys again. They fixed it few weeks ago.Seems to happen when I go into Facebook. Started when a video was in there showing a Asian site. Wish I could just get Facebook off everything. Don't care for it anymore.
JeanneP

jane

JeanneP

My time showing on Senior and Friends is off by 5 hours. How do I change it on W10.Desktop.?

JeanneP

so_P_bubble

To change your clock  in S&F, you have to go to your profile, and write the correct time in "local Time", 3 lines after the date you registered.

jane

Good morning, Babes.  I met with the attorney yesterday...a "kid"...52 now...who was a student at the same HS where I taught and whose Dad was also on the faculty.  A lot of the paperwork I can do with phone calls and sending death certificates.  My sister flies home today.

Jane

CallieOK

I didn't realize new computers do not have slots for compact discs.  A lot of my pictures and genealogy information are on cd's.  Will I have to set up my old computer to get them on to....what?  Flash drives?

RAMMEL

Quote from: CallieOK on August 18, 2019, 03:13:13 PMI didn't realize new computers do not have slots for compact discs.  A lot of my pictures and genealogy information are on cd's.  Will I have to set up my old computer to get them on to....what?  Flash drives?
Are you sure there's not a CD/DVD slot somewhere on it? The one I just bought has one and lots of software comes on a disc.

If not, I'd bet you can get an external one for fairly few $$$. Likely with a USB connection.

What make & Mod is your puter?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

Rammell  it's an HPPavillion all-in-one. Knew the USB plug-in was on the back but didn't notice lack of CD slot until too late to return. Could have son set up old computer again but surely did like having more desk space. Oh, well.  Live and learn.
Thanks.

Amy

Callie, did you look here...Rick may have a better answer than I.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01862046.pdf
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

CallieOK

Thanks, Amy.  I had found that manual  and had also done some "Googling" .  Sites listed mainly had to do with downloading music - not text or pictures.
Son who helped me buy the computer says we were told this model didn't have one and "decided I didn't need one".  (I must have had an Intellectual Interlude because I don't remember that!!!!   :crazy2:  )  He also said he will get one and come set it up.  :thumbup:    :smitten:

RAMMEL

CallieOK -
What is the MODEL of the HP Computer?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

If you really don't have one, go to Amazon and search for "external cd-dvd drive". Many choices.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

Rammel, granddaughter and I both examined every inch of the screen (where everything else is) and did not find any place where a compact disc could be inserted.  Son remembered that this particular model didn't have a cd drive and he will take care of getting an external one for me.  He  will be able to make sure it's what I need - and set it up.  All is well. Thanks so  much for your help.  :)

jane

Callie...My Lenovo laptop doesn't have a CD slot either. I bought an external CD player and it works fine.  I plug it into a USB port and away we go.

CallieOK

Jane, I'm sure that's what I'll do, too. Good to have encouragement.  :Thanks.

shirleyn

HELP! I hope someone can help me.  Yesterday I received over 900 emails from Seniorsandfriends.  I deleted them and then all day long I kept receiving hundreds more.  This morning there was over 900 emails again.  I hope I can get some help on this.

shirleyn

Well, after I deleted the 900 messages this morning, they stopped coming in.  Thanks anyway, for any help.

Mary Ann

Shirley, I wanted to send you a message but after reading yours, I knew I would get lost in the shuffle.

Please go to Norm's B&T and let us know what is going on with you, Danny and Dorian.  I know you're quite far inland, but Dorian doesn't care where he goes. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

I never receive S&F notifications since I turned it off after the last redo and was flooded with hundreds daily.

Unfortunately, I can't find the step in my profile now since it was rewritten by Administration, but I know that at the last change there were several with the same issue of hundreds of the same. I contact Bubble for you as she had the same issue at that time.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I have never received S&F notices  - ever.  I click on whichever folder I want to read and ignore the others.  When I'm finished, I click on "close all unread" and that's it.

Mary Ann

donklan

Once AGAIN, Microsoft installed a NEW Windows """UPDATE""" which resulted in leaving only 4 Microsoft related icons in the taskbar and deletion of  all of my Bookmarks.     Screen said "Welcome to the New Windows"

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

angelface555

MaryAnn, back when Michael first redid S&F, several people were receiving hundreds of exact duplicates of S&F notifications. Bubble, Jane, Jackie, and a number of others all had these dupes coming in by the hundreds. This was in February of this year

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=698.msg150036#new

Shirley

Doesn't look like anyone has been in for a while so I will ask my question & maybe ask it in several other places.  :-[

Have HP laptop using Windows 10.... bought a Garmin GPS & daughter installed Garmin Express to get updates faster. Had to agree to their cookies BUT I didn't know I'd be hounded with pop ups every 30 seconds that I had to click out of the way to see any page (not just Garmin stuff). I can't remember how to delete cookies on Windows 10 (using Chrome).... help, anyone???? Please..

RAMMEL

I've been using a "Pay-fer" program called "Total Privacy" from Pointstone (google "total Privacy"). Better you read what it does from them, but it allows deleting cookies from all browsers and lets you keep the cookies you want (like S&F). Does other clean up stuff too. Once set up it's so easy to clean up stuff. Has some other handy features also.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK