Random Image

Fi Mommy and Daddy

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Jenny - I've been following all the bad news about your wildfire, outside of Denver.  I can relate!  I know how devastating and relentless they are.  I know that it's difficult for friends in other parts of the Country to understand how depressed and hopeless we get.  Because of high winds, the mountainous terrain, low humidity and total lack of rain, they burn on and on and are impossible to control.  So of course, homes and neighborhoods and sometimes entire communities are destroyed.  Blackouts, and ugly smelly smoke in the air, continue here.  No rain predicted for the rest of the month, and into the first week of November.  There is always the possibility that the weather could change, and that's what we hope and pray for . . .  here in California, as well as for Colorado and Oregon.

patricia19

Good morning from the crisp snowy Interior at 19°. We've had snow twice now and seen it melt, but I think this one will stick. I saw it sleeting on the Anchorage floatplane cam yesterday and just had a feeling it would make its way north.

Today is the first day for twice-annual alarm testing. They go through each apartment checking smoke detectors, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, intercoms, and that windows and balconies aren't blocked. I always dislike that for some reason as they come with a cart, two maintenance men, and a fireman even though it only takes about fifteen minutes. I suppose it is because I realize my home isn't particularly mine even though I'm thankful that everything is checked and cared for.

I'm been ill the past few days with a sour stomach, nothing serious, just a few rather blah days where I had no real energy or enthusiasm. The only antidote that seems to help is periodic glasses of water with a tablespoon each of honey and apple cider vinegar.

Jenny and Marilyne, I've been so worried about you both as well as my relatives around Ouray and Montrose. And my sister in Idaho. I still remember 2004 and 2005 here when we were still in that twelve-year drought. More than 6,6000 acres were burned by 701 fires. The yellow smoke was everywhere and most evacuated to Fairbanks. The air was very bad and people and animals had issues breathing.

So, I have an idea of what you're going through all though not in the magnitude that you and my sister have.

patricia19

Denver

MARILYNE, thank you for your kind and understanding words.  I of course have kept up on your fires as well....and yes, they are devastating.  My heart aches for those that have lost their homes, animals etc.  The smoke is just awful to see and to breathe. 

PATRICIA, I am sorry to read that you continue to have the sour stomach and just not feeling well.  I hope this improves SOON.  I know you have family here in the state and of course you are concerned about them.  This year sure has been full of one terrible event right after the other. 

JACKIE, somehow I missed you telling about your chairs being delivered.  I am sorry it was so stressful for you......seems there are always issues for you getting furniture in or out....sure glad they did get them in and you are pleased with them. 

I am just trying to keep myself calm with all that is going on with the refrigerator repair, and sadly I am not doing a very good job of it.  Thank goodness we have the money to have it repaired.....back in the day that would have been my concern.....seems even though the part does not seem to be correct they are telling the repairman that it is indeed the correct replacement part!  Oh my....
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

FlaJean

Today was our first early voting day but after grocery shopping we put voting off until tomorrow.  It seems we were out of just about everything, and both of us were just ready to collapse when we got home and got groceries put away.

The plumber was here Friday and installed two new Kohler toilets. kitchen sink, garbage disposal and several new faucets.  We've been intending to get that done since we moved in 4 years ago and finally got it done.

I really feel bad for all those who have lost everything in these fires and storms.  I just can't even imagine what they are going through.

Jackie, I'm glad the movers were finally able to get your new chairs into your apartment.  Two things I really appreciate are a comfortable mattress and a comfortable chair.

Jenny, My daughter bought a nice refrigerator last year and already had it repaired, but thankfully it was under warranty and didn't cost for repair.

Marilyne, has the smoke cleared up any?  I haven't seen much about the fires the last couple of days.

Patricia, hope you start feeling better.  I just finished reading a couple of fiction books about a town 50 miles north of Fairbanks.  They were based on the startup of a local airplane company that flew in an out of Fairbanks.  Best couple of books I've read in a while.  Thought about you.

I missed a couple of days posting but I did check in and enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
... thank you, yes " very large " elegant and comfortable, and in my opinion, one cant beat G Plan furniture...Yes totally agree, a comfortable bed to sleep in and a comfortable armchair to relax in..
Just looked up the make-brand of your new loos - sink...they do look mod-con and luxurious...
" There is no present like the time "

patricia19

Good morning from a still snowing Interior! After two to six inches, the snow is expected to stop sometime this afternoon.

I finally made two leaves of bread and slow-cooked my roast overnight! It only took me from Thursday to yesterday to finish those two tasks! Farrah is disturbed right now, She sits and ignores those reverberating false fire alarms, but the sound of motorized snow removal has her up in arms, keeping a steady eye out the window!

I'm also hoping that those fires slow down and stop with winter. I feel so bad for everyone and have been very worried for Marilyne.

Thank you for those get well wishes! I started feeling better yesterday. And am fine this morning. Jean, I'm curious about the book you read with a Fairbanks setting. There are many small towns and villages within that range, both Canadian and Alaskan. Do you remember the title?

You really had some renovation Friday; I'm betting that set you back a bit, but how nice to finally have it finished. I know you're pleased.

Marilyne

A beautiful crystal clear morning here, so hard to believe that we're under a fire alert!  The usual circumstances, which are strong N/E winds in the mountains and canyons, hot temperatures, low humidity, and bone dry overgrown forests. (no rain since April.)   The alert will last until Wednesday.  We're fortunate that we didn't have our power turned off this time.  Only some cities in the North Bay counties are having blackouts.

Jean - I've been thinking about you and hoping we'd hear from you, so I'm pleased to see your message this morning.  Good for you, getting new fixtures in the bathroom and kitchen.  I wish I could talk AJ into the same thing, but that would be an exercise in futility.  As long as such things are in good working order, they stay.  ::)    We voted yesterday also.  We took our ballots to the library, where there was a large red, white and blue, ballot box.  There were quite a few people coming and going, so I can imagine that it fills up fast. 

Patricia - I'm impressed with your snow, and enjoyed seeing the pictures in the photo folder.   It's hard for me to relate to, when we're still in the 80's and 90's.  I read a very good book last year, about a family - wife, husband and daughter - who move to Alaska in 1974, and start living off the grid.  As you can imagine, they are totally unprepared, and shocked, as Winter sets in.  It's a good story, and very well written I thought.  Title was The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah.

Jenny - Don't apologize for feeling angry and upset about your refrigerator problem.  Although it may not be a big deal in the long run, right now the little things just add to the bigger worries and ongoing stress plaguing  all of us now. The quotation,  "These are the times that try mens souls", by Thomas Paine in 1776, applies equally well in 2020!

FlaJean

Patricia, the titles are "Alaska Home" and "Alaska Nights" by Debbie Macomber.  About 3 brothers starting a local airplane service and they advertise in the states offering 20 acres and a cabin for women willing to work in that small town for 1 year.  I really had a couple of good laughs and a couple of tears.  A good clean interesting story.  I got them from our local digital library "Libby".

patricia19

Thanks, Jean, I looked up those books. I was curious, and the book review answered that. Villages and small towns past here don't have a regular airport, often a hanger and a dirt road runway. Alaska has the largest private plane ownership in the country, largely due to the lack of a statewide road system. In the summer, there are a multitude of rivers for traveling or the train if available. I believe the state railroad is the last train that will stop and pick up folks along the road.

A road system regularly comes up on the ballot and is just as regularly defeated. Native communities and small towns are tired of rescuing cheechakos with large financial expenses never paid back, who come here ill-equipped and understanding nothing of a state with wild areas still unknown and largely unexplored.

However, each year before COVID, a small community held a wilderness skill contest that was jokingly referred to as the Great wife hunt and invited women to participate in lumberjack and wilderness skills. This may be something that Macomber heard about and inspired her books.

Hannah's book "The Great Alone" sounds plausible for an unprepared family. The ones who make a life here are more often used to living off the grid before they ever come to Alaska. The state has a high incidence of alcohol and substance abuse and violence toward women in the bush. The villages themselves face a life divided between their culture and deeply held beliefs and a state culture that seems uncaring and prejudged.

Amy

Thought I would share the video that I received ..please share with others.

https://youtu.be/ltjBT_TuUVA

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

Amy - I love it!  Sending it on to my two daughters  and dil. Thank you!  :thumbup:

Marilyne

Amy - Here's another parody that you might like, called,  "The Covid Mask".  It's not as funny as "Wear a Mask", but it it's great for the season!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dThiYFgI_g

Amy

Marilyne, thank you!! I am going to pass this on to others. Some folks will wear a shield but that does not protect one  unless they also have a mask on.

I guess whatever gets the point across helps others to wear a mask.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Denver

Just finished watching the presidential debate. 

Once again I must say I do not know where the days go, but I seem to always be behind!

It was a dark and dreary day here and I was chilled all day long.  We have another Granddoodle Dog staying with us.  Oliver is such a good boy and we enjoy having him here.

The fires continue to grow by leaps and bounds.  The worse one right now is near the Rocky Mountain National Park area near Estes Park.  The skies are frightening looking.  We have been told we will be having some rain and snow in the next couple of days and I 🙏🙏 it will be enough to help slow these fires out. 

The refrigerator is doing a great job of cooling again...thank goodness.  What a crazy nightmare that ordeal was.

Michele had chemo yesterday and we are anxious for the scans they hope to do soon will prove that this maintenance chemo has been doing a good job of keeping those tumors under control🙏🙏🙏

Do any of you watch the cooking shows on FaceBook?  I have been watching Brenda Gantt from Andalusia Alabama quite a few times now and I have learned so many neat things and recipes.  She talks and sounds just like a cousin of Bob's from Birmingham.  The other one I like to watch is from Louisana.  I can not think of her name right now, but again I have learned a few new things to fix. 

I hope you ALL are doing well and pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
... have fun with Oliver, one cant beat the love of a dog...
All the best on Michele's scan report...

Vanilla-Jackie

Was handed my first Christmas present and card today, my Indian lady friend from the ground floor below who popped up and handed it to me plus a present for my great-grandson...can't believe it is soon that time of the year again...She too is left with a bitter-sweet of not celebrating a Christmas as we both lost our hubbies near to a Christmas...

FlaJean

It is a lovely day here.  We planted some pretty pink and white begonias in the two big pots in front of the small porch and some marigolds in the little pots on the porch railing.  That will give us some nice color until spring comes again.

Not much to post about.  A few months ago I bought a small rice cooker and it makes cooking rice a breeze.  We don't eat a lot of rice but we both like fried rice occasionally and I need to go and get that started.  At least I call what I make fried rice but I always add some finely cut celery and carrots and don't use the bacon drippings, although I use some drained bacon pieces for a good taste. Trying hard to keep our diet as healthy as I can these days.

If I were a wealthy person, I would sure hire myself a cook.  Oh, I do hate to cook.  But such is life that food is necessary and I might as well get started.

Have a good day everyone.

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone from
the cool and overcast Rocky
Coast of Maine.

Beverly,  I am sorry to hear that you
have to give up traveling back
to New England ... perhaps you will
feel better about it in the
Future. 

I have given up traveling also..
It is not as necessary for me as
my family are all with in a
couple of hours from me and
three of them are under 15 minutes. 

I only really see Kelly
once a week for errands,
grocery delivery and
medical appts. 

I am so very lucky to
have landed here in Portland,
in a corner apartment that
looks up and down the Main
street of the city....

If I start to feel claustrophobic,
I can go sit in the front window
or take a shor walk down the street to
CVS  or RENE'S department store"..

But as the Winter gets colder
and wetter,  I won't be going out
much ...  I think that Covid is
going to be harder on us in the
next few months.  Maine has
been lucky so far... but that is
bound to end soon. 

I watch the final debate last
night (Thank Goodness!!) ... I
voted quite a while ago, now
to just wait and see what
Election day brings us..

Have a good day Everyone...
Mask up and stay well. 

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Amy

Sandy, I watch a tv show  that is filmed in Maine. The wild life and scenery  is breath taking.
Jimmy Dean

Sandy

Amy

Parts of Maine are really really
beautiful..  The Mountains and especially the
Maine coast which  has almost 230 miles
(400 km) of coastline
(and 3,500 miles (5,600 km) of
tidal coastline).

Quit a lot of Coast to enjoy.
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Amy

Sandy, the ones that I have been watching have the beauty of the fall colours. A lot of spectacular scenes in this show.
Jimmy Dean

Beverly

I just tried to catch up on some posts and I think I am missing quite a few. My computer was down for several days. Chape's computer and mine are networked (always have been). Somehow we ended up with duplicate computers. Hard to explain but mine thought it was his!  ??? We finally gave up and un-installed my Windows 10 and re-installed it so it was like starting all over again. Problem is fixed but I had to log into S&F again. 

The past couple of weeks have been up and down. The ups....Donna and Mike drove both cars down this time. My granddaughter, Erin, drove down with Donna and flew back to Vermont a couple of days later. The downs....Several bad days for me......

We planted an Allamanda in the garden out front. It was doing great for about a week and then started dying. Today Chape took a branch to the greenhouse to see if they knew why. The diagnosis? We were loving on it too much!  ;D  They said it was being overwatered.

Jean - I've always said if I could hire help it would be a cook! I've never really enjoyed cooking and don't like planning meals. I've never minded cleaning house and enjoyed yard work.

Marilyne - A crystal clear morning must have seemed good! Hope you have more of them.

Jenny - Hoping and praying that Michele's next CT Scan shows no new problems!

Sandy - I love the lakes region in Maine but also love the coast.

Amy - What is the show filmed in Maine? Wondering if I can get it.

Jackie - Your Indian friend sounds like a lovely person. She's probably lonely if she also lost her husband.

Patricia - This may sound strange but raw sauerkraut will help digestive problems like sour stomach. It has to be raw, not the kind people buy for cooking. The brand we have here is Bubbies. It comes in a jar in the refrigerated section. In Vermont there are health food stores where you can buy it. I'm sure you have them in Alaska too. I eat a tablespoon or two every day (not because I like it!). It's a natural probiotic.

My daughter, Lisa, texted me a warning tonight about listeria in cold-cuts like luncheon meats and salami. She hadn't heard the details yet.

Time for me to give my eyes a rest! Good night all.

Vanilla-Jackie

Beverly...
...welcome back after your missing few bad days...Yes my Indian friend has so far been a welcome and genuine friend, she lost her hubby when in his mid 50's so some years ago and at a very early age...she has also lost a daughter in her young 20's-30's a very attractive daughter when she showed me a photo of her in her sari.... Oh we do suffer with our unwelcome computer issues, we rely so much on our computers, i know i do...glad your computer is up an running again...
Oh they ( tv ) have just this minute reminded us our UK clocks have gone back one hour...time now is 6.10am, not 7.10am...here i am sipping a mug of tea, at the computer, on a Sunday, and no, i wont go back to bed once i am up...Besides 5 - 6.am are now my usual getting up times, usually after my third getting out of bed through the nights MS bladder emptying's, i dont use a catheter, just get through TENA pads....

Amy

Beverly , the show is called North Woods  Law. Game wardens out protecting the wild life ,last night it was taken in New Hampshire.

Another show is Lone Star Law which is another good show of game wardens in Texas. I think of Hal when I see the beautiful country there. Would love to see a field of long horns up close.

In both shows,  men and ladies come up on some characters be it humans or animals. 
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Amy, I'm whizzing through so I can go take a nap... 4 & half hours sleep is just not enough. BUT, have to tell you about my experience with Long Horns..  I used to do a lot of western paintings, animals of all kinds, so when a friend offered to show me her herd of long horns & take all the photos I wanted, I went loaded with the old 35mm film & telephoto lens. We went out to the field in their 4-wheeler & the cattle (50=100?) came running toward us. Yep, big pets & they were ready for a treat. Biggest problem was getting far enough from them to get a whole body shot! They had all colors, different size horns & each so unusual it was difficult to pick & choose. Not like these days with digital camera where you can shoot hundreds on a single SD card! They would "loan the cattle out" for Dodge City Days & when camera crews wanted a scene with long horns on a trail. They are gone and so are the cattle, but was a treat for me to see.

Jackie, I think we change clocks next week end... hate it. All the clocks have to be set & a couple I don't know how so will have to wait for son to come. The cats are my clocks.. we wake up when they want in or out & eat when they are hungry, don't need for them to check a clock!

Beverly, I vote for a few GOOD days, how about you?  This darn knee has hurt awful for more than 3 weeks... strange part is it hurts worse when I lay or sit down. Don't want to go to the doctor because he'll want to send me to the orthopedic & they just want to do surgery & my head is not ready for that!!!

Super Sunday to all, we have 60%-80% chance of freezing mix...snow, ice, rain.... through next Wed. Mother nature is not wanting me to drive to MO, for sure. By the time this is all over the leaves will be on the ground. Boo-hoo...

Marilyne

Good morning everyone.  Cool and calm this morning, but strong N/E wind expected to arrive late this afternoon, and cause problems overnight. One of those wind that blows down trees and power lines, and causes more wildfires to start.  The humidity is low, per usual, so that adds to the problem.  This ongoing situation would end, if only we would get some rain.  Not looking good. :'(

Amy - "North Woods Law", sounds like a show that we would like also.  I'm definitely going to check my channels, and see if it's playing here?   We have the full cable service, as well as Netflix and Prime, so I'm sure I can find it somewhere?   "Lone Star Law", sounds good as well.   AJ likes to watch "Alaska State Troopers", which might be a similar show?  We've been watching a short series, called "Buying the Yukon", that I find to be fascinating.   It's about couples or sometimes a single woman, looking for a house to buy - usually they want something that I off the grid! :o   It looks like beautiful country up there, but I would want to live as close to Whitehorse, as possible.

Beverly - I'm glad you got your computer confusion cleared up, and that you're back with us here in B&T again.  Wonderful that you're seeing so much of your adult kids, and grandkids too, now that Donna has moved so close. (I think you said your son was getting a place in FL too?). We are fortunate to live close to our son and youngest daughter.  The oldest daughter & G-daughter lives about 150 miles away.  Yesterday, Brad came by in the afternoon, and brought their sweet Labrador.  We sat outside on the deck, so the dog could roam around the yard.

Brad brought some surprising news, that Jake, their son had COVID!!  Make that "had", in the past tense!   He is 26, and rents a place in San Jose, with two others.  He's a lucky young man in that he works for Google, so has been able to work from home all of these months, and get a full paycheck.  Early in October, he went to a social event for the first time - a fraternity party on a houseboat at Lake Shasta, which is up North of us.  His Mom, Jackie, was worried, so a few days after he was back home, she talked him into getting tested for Covid.  Positive, but totally asymptomatic.  He had no one single symptom, which goes to show why this virus is spreading so rapidly.  It's that age group - 20's and 30's - who are catching it without being aware, and spreading it around to others!  After he tested positive, he stayed home for the full two weeks, and then tested negative.

Jean and  Beverly - I'm not interested in cooking anymore either.  I manage to put together a dinner meal every evening for the two of us, but that's it.   We are on our own for breakfast and lunch.  Food is sparse around here since the lockdown, but we do get to the grocery store, or order and pick up, a couple of times a week.  Mostly we eat very simple, quick meals.  I cannot manage in the kitchen very well anymore. 

Jackie - I'm so glad you have a neighbor friend, that you enjoy spending time with.  She sounds like such a nice person, and maybe someone you can call,  or visit and share a pot of tea, when you're feeling lonely.

This post is too long, so I'd better sign off, and hope to hear from everyone again today!  I I have a message for Jenny and Shirey, but will return later!

Joy

Good Sunday morning.

Have been missing for a little while, but I am doing ok.  Just so bored about not getting out that much and not being able to see many people.

I did have an appointment yesterday with the eye doctor. I will have to have cataract surgery in the few weeks. I knew it was coming sooner or later. From what I hear from friends, it is a pretty easy surgery.  I have to have both eyes done but about a month apart.  Have to make an appointment with the surgeon. So, that will probably go into December before it is all completed. I do know you have to use eye drops for a while.  Just another problem to learn to deal with.

It is kind of a cloudy morning, and it is a lot colder. Supposed to rain later.  I have nothing planned for today.

Shirley, I am sorry you are still having problems with y6ur knee.  Have you tried some kind of a brace ?  I know you are not a real "big" fan of doctors.  I would think an orthopedic doctor would not actually jump to surgery before trying something else first. Maybe some physical therapy first.  Might be worth trying????  But, I do know you can be stubborn. LOL  Sorry that your trip might have to wait a bit.

Beverly, sorry you have had some bad days  I think we all have some of them at different times.

It is almost lunch time, so I guess I better go find something quick. I, too, have a terrible time deciding what I want to eat and then getting motivated to fix something. I used to love to cook, but not so much anymore.  Just have a hard time standing for any length of time. A quick sandwich a lot of times.  And I do get something delivered a lot lately. 

I hope everyone will have a nice afternoon.

Joy
BIG BOX

Amy

Marilyne, Alaska  State Trooper is another one I also watch and yes these show are along the same line.  When we were on our honeymoon we pulled into Whitehorse and both of us felt at home. If we were younger that would be a place we would like to live.

Shirley, all the cattle had a name on the farm. My friend Joan came up to pick wild gooseberries and as she was walking along the fence line Buttercup a Jersey Short
horn cross ran up to .......stopped.......put her nose in the basket.........then looked at Joan as if to say...that is not a treat for me!!
Jimmy Dean