Random Image

ava

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

SCFSue, did you try control + Z?  that usually brings back what disappeared for whatever reason.

jane

Sharon...your meal sounds wonderful. Noodles are one of my favorite things and #1 comfort food.  There are a lot of colds around, it seems. 

Sue...sorry for the lost post.

We slept late, the. Stripped the bed and I started laundry.  We can do towel and sheet exchange each week, but I hate the harsh soaps they use, and we like our own soft sheets, so I wash my own and their towels.  I do use the exchange when we have company.

We went over to WalMart and got some items and then back to the Island.  We went up to see the Christmas village the professional sand castle builders did...I posted pics on my Facebook page. 

Jane

JeanneP

Jane.
I cant get into your Facebook account it seems.
Like you ,I have to really watch the soap Iuse on all my laundry. Also bathing.
Hard when in hotels. Always have to get pillows changed. They seem to think people like feather pillows.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I'm dressed and ready for SS and Church.  Olyne will pick me up about 9:30. We'll have our SS class downstairs with all other adult classes as we are having a presentation by our pastors about the birth of Christ and his ministry.

(I think lots of our members are former Methodists, Baptists, and perhaps other religions).  I was an Episcopalian (and also a Congregationalist when in Maine as there was no Presbyterian Church at that time).  We also attended a Congregational Church in Albuquerque as it was closer to our home.  The boys were teens and could ride their bikes to youth events. 

This afternoon, I am attending a neighborhood Christmas Party.  I don't know the hosts as they are new in our neighborhood.  My next door neighbors will take me with them--I'm taking cheese balls as my donation to the party.  The Party is within walking distance for me, but not with a platter of cheese balls to carry!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

jane

Sunday greetings!

It's a sunny day here and the winds are hardly noticeable,,,very gentle breeze. 

We're headed out at in a hour or so to meet others at a local place for the Packers-Bears game.  I imagine it will be a big crowd of midwesterners, 

Jane

SharonE

We're back from SS and church, have had lunch and put in a load of towels to wash.  Our skit at SS went well. It began with God talking to Isaiah, then there was the scene with Me (Elisabeth & Zacharias) then Zacharias at the temple with Gabriel. Then Gabriel and Mary when he tells her she will conceive God's son. The Mary comes to visit me (eliz) and then there is a scene with me and Zacharias about naming John the Baptist.  It was a good summery of the Advent occurences.  I felt rather dorky with a sheet for a robe and a white skarf to cover my hair.  All the costumes were similar.  It was a fun change of pace and 2 other SS classes joined us as spectators.

Jane, I'm glad your wind has abated. Enjoy the day.

Sue, I hope you have a nice time at the party. We had a cantata today in church.  The Presbyterian church across the street from hours suffered $1 million dollarsof damage when a malfunctioning ventilation fan caught fire the day of the snow storm.  No body there fortunately, but the fire station was next door.  I have visited most denominations,but have always been a Methodist.

Did I mention that my cold came back yesterday?  I have it under control, but it's still there.

Have a blessed Sunday.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Sharon and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I've cleaned up the breakfast things, have a load of wash in and brought the trash can up and paper containers up since the trash men were here early.  I hope to get my Christmas card mess finished today.  I think Tim's friend, Kenny, will be here sometime today to see if I'm OK.  Tim and Kris are out of town.  Kenny will probably take me to Kroger on Thursday or Friday.  I know Tim and Kris are glad for a bit of a respite from taking care of me.  I need a haircut, so maybe Kenny can do that on Thursday or Friday, too, as the Great Clips is in the Kroger parking lot.

Sharon, it sounds like your skit was very successful.  Did you have it during the regular church service or at a special time?  We had a full service of special Christmas music with the choirs, several instruments (we have some very talented church members) and only a brief talk by Nick, our male Senior pastor.  His wife wasn't in church yesterday.  They have 3 young children and I think at least one of them must have been sick.  The oldest daughter is in Kindergarten or First Grade and I can remember how colds were passed around when our boys were those ages!

I hope the weather is mild wherever you are, especially if you are out shopping.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

SharonE

Sue, our skit was dduring SS time and held in a big SS room by unfolding the wall between 2 of them.  We had a cantata similar to yours at the church service.  I'm glad Kenny is going to check on you regularly and drive you to the grocery, etc.

Jane, I forgot to tell you that my beef and noodles were scrumptious. We had 2 meals out of them. Now to figure out what to have tonight.

John and I are taking his car over to Rock Hill to get the tires rotated today.  My roofer still hasn't come back to fix the leak that reappeared after his initial repair. Of course, we have had so much rain and cold weather since, but he was supposed to come by Thursday. He came by once unannounced early while John was taking the dog to the groomer and I was in the master bath at the back and didn't hear him. I count on Bunny to notify me if someone is at the door.  The doorbell is right by the front door and I can never hear it unless I am right there.

Hi to everyone.  Sharon

SCFSue

Just a quickie to make a correction.  Tim came by this morning.  I thought his friend Kenny was going to check on me, but he and Kris both had work commitments and are in town.  Tim was on his way to work and Kris was already out working.

I'm going to get out my leaf blower and try to get the driveway and the back yard cleaned up.  I have a load of wash ready to go into the dryer, so that's first on my list.

Have a nice day, Buddies.
Sue

jane

Good Monday morning to you all...or y'all, as I hear in S. Texas.  It's a pretty day out there and I see some fishermen out in the Gulf...though not many walkers on the beach yet.  Ray and I went down to the second floor area to fill our water jugs and Ray wanted to look in the library there for some more books.  We found 6 he thought he might enjoy.  It's nice to have that library available...you take what you want and return when you're done.  He brought some down last year he'd bought at the Friends Library sale, and saw several were still there in the collection. 

I had a call from my beauty shop this morning, but I missed it.  I have a 5:00 appointment, and I'm guessing they want to move it up...but no reply to my call back to them and message I left. 

We've not heard from the insurance company for the lady who backed into us 10 days ago, so Ray called our agent to see what to do.  She said she'd handle it...so she called the woman who said we were supposed to contact her insurance agent. Huh...I thought he was to contact us.  Anyway, our Agent said she'd call him.  I emailed her the insurance card info and pics of the damage, etc.  All our house and car insurance, umbrella policy, etc. have been with this Agent, so nice to have her handle it.  We want to have the work done back home, and she said that shouldn't be a problem.

I think we'll need to get out and walk a bit. I haven't been out because of a flare-up of arthritis all over this old body, but feeling better today.  At my age, it's One day at a Time!!

jane

maryz

Sue, glad Tim has his friend to keep tabs on you while they're getting some time out of town. Be careful out there with the leaf blower - they can be pretty unwieldy.

Sharon, how's the cold?  I'm sorry you had a relapse.  And a big BOO to your roofer.

jane, I hate it when we get the all-over-creakies.  It's good you're in the comparatively warmer weather, though.  Glad your insurance agent is taking care of all that for you.

Bubble, thanks for the "control Z" tip - I didn't know about that.  And it just worked like a charm for me.   :thumbup:

I don't think I got in here yesterday.  It was a really quiet weekend, gray and gloomy, but with lots of knitting.  We had a heavy fog this morning, but of course,  it turned out to be a beautiful blue-bird-sky day.  I met a friend for lunch at one of the nice local restaurants.  It was good to get to chat.  And the cobb salad I had was so huge, I brought half of it home and will have it for supper tonight. 

Happy Monday to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Mary...yes, on the Agent's help.  As I was speaking to her again after emailing her the woman's business card and insurance card, I got a call from the State Farm Claims Dept.  They accept responsibility for the damage, and will send me a list of local places they work with...or we can have it fixed at home.  I have her number and a claims number, so I think all is going to be fine, now.  I hate hassling with this stuff in my old age.

We did get a walk in this morning...I did a  mile..Ray a bit less, but we were out.   :coolsmiley:

I get a haircut today at 5:00.  The salon called this morning, but I didn't hear the phone, and when I called back 15 minutes later, it went to their answering machine.  This is normal for them...they don't leave customers to answer the phone, so I suppose they'll call back whenever...or maybe wanted me to come in earlier.  I'll find out at 5:00, I guess.

jane

Cottoncandy

Hi everyone...a nice day with sunshine..supposed to be that way all week...enjoy Jane.....well I been on the Losartan BP med a week now..it's not keeping my BP below 150 on top number...the previous med...Amlodipine kept it much lower...so will give it a few more days then let my Dr know...as he told me to do....Hi to everyone..I'm through with Christmas shopping..so am glad of that...have a great eve...Darlene

alpiner1

Good News !   I had a follow up mammogram this morning & it was GOOD ! Then had an appt. with the cancer surgeon . All is good !  I will have another mammogram in 6 months & another appt; with the cancer surgeon to be checked over .

maryz

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Marilyn

Sharon we still haven't heard for the roofer  that put the tarp on the roof and another one who was supposed to come and give an estimate.  I ams o  fed up with  some of the businesses.

all is well here at this time. although Keith still is not all there most of the time. the long term memory is pretty much there.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  My cleaning ladies were here for the last time this year.  They'll be back in January.  So my home is tidy, except for Christmas card stuff which I'm still trying to finish.  Tim was still in town (I was mistaken that his friend Kenny was going to check on me).  So he came by yesterday morning, we did a little paper work, and I have been writing a few notes in Christmas cards this morning.  I have about 10 more I need to write notes in, so hope I can get myself psyched up for that after lunch.

My Christmas tree is pretty--I turn the lights on when it gets dark and I enjoy that.  I've hung stockings for Tim, Kris, and me, plus one for their dog's treat.  She is 13 years old and is not well.  I hope she lasts through Christmas as it's tough to lose a dog and try to celebrate, too.  I need to write checks for Bill's and Jon's families and get them in the mail, too.  I'll put Tim and Kris's check in with their stockings.

I hope your Christmas plans are working out--if you're having company and/or traveling to meet family.

Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals, we went in to the Pineville Mall this AM for John to shop. He didn't feel comfortable driving up there and I'm very familiar with it. I picked up a couple things + stopped at Office Depot and got some Christmas printer paper for next year. John needed a new desk calendar and we couldn't find it at the mall. He also needed to get his good ring resized. I had given it to him for his retirement and one day a couple weeks ago he looked down and it wasn't there. Turned out it had fallen off in his pocket!  Thank goodness, so he needed to get that done or stop wearing it.  We're home now and have had lunch.  My legs and hips were screaming with the walking and we kept it to a minimum too.

Jane, I guess we all get the creakies now.  Glad you're in warm weather although it was 65 yesterday and 55 today!! 50s all week but we get rain again Thursday & Friday. I'm supposed to get my hair trimmed Thursday. It really isn't too long, but it's starting to straggle.

Alpiner, Hurrah for the good news!!

Mary, I'm glad you got out to have lunch with a friend. You must have a mountain of knitted stuff now!

Sue, I second Mary's caution on the leaf blower. That sounds heavy to me.  They blew our leaves off last week, but the rain has brought down more! :(

Marilyn, sorry your roofers aren't any better than ours.  I don't think people in the building trades have any business sense or idea of communication, at least that's my experience.

Nothing scheduled tomorrow, hr. cut and groceries on Thursday and an annual physical with my primary on Friday!

Have a good day everyone.  Sharon

jane

One of those "awake a lot" last night.  I was awake every hour, I think, and I finally got up at 4:30.  Ray golfed today, so his golf buddy's wife, Terri, and I went to lunch at a new place here.  Nope. Not. Going. Back.  :coolsmiley:   We were the only ones there...all tables are outside...which was OK today, but I hate the big black birds that are flying all around looking for food scraps.  It also had a very limited menu and the prices were high, compared to other places here. 

It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow...it was in the 70s today, so I think we'll go to Brownsville.  I want to go to Sam's Club for some COQ10 and to Ulta, etc. There's a Chinese restaurant there I like with a MOngolian grill, so maybe that'll be our lunch stop.  Winds are to come back on Thursday, so tomorrow is best day to go.

There's a big blimp tethered at the Park at the end of the Island...and it's part of the security for the border. I'm told there are 8 or 9 along the border. 

jane

JeanneP

Sue.
You just work to hard. I use to be where everything had to be done. Now seem to havegoneto far the other way.
It is to hard getting workers anymore. Can't keep things perfect. To stressful .
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's damp and cool here again this morning.  We might have rain later today and/or tomorrow.  I'm still working on Christmas cards and need to get that finished.  I also need to call Dawn (Bill's wife) this afternoon to thank her for the See's fudge which arrived yesterday and 2 other packages which I will open on Christmas Day.  Also need to prepared Christmas checks for Jon's family and write more Christmas notes to long time friends. 

I need to get my leaf blower out and try to get at least half of the MANY leaves that are all over my yard, front and back.  I have a lot of large oak trees and although there are lots of leaves still on the trees, the yard is covered with them!

Tim came over yesterday morning.  I thought this was the week he and Kris were going out of town, but it was not.  He didn't tell me when that was, so I still don't know for sure.  I need to either trim my hair or call Seniors and Friends to see if someone can take me down to Great Clips for a haircut.

Sue

SharonE

Jane, it sounds like you go to a lot of interesting places.  John never wants to go anywhere but bridge and my walking limitations are a deterrent too.  How are the balloons a security measure? Pardon my ignorance.

I haven't done anything of note today,just vegging after yesterday. I still have this cold which is keeping me down. Between that and all the pain the rainy cold weather has caused, I'm in the dumps. Have things I want to do but don't feel like doing them.

Jeanne, only a few people have the energy Sue and Marilyn have. I sure don't.

Sue, good luck on getting your tasks done.   Hi to all. Sharon

maryz

Happy Wednesday, Buddies!

Sharon, I hope you get to feeling better soon.  I would guess that the "balloons" over SPI are surveillance balloons with cameras to monitor the shorelines.  I'm sure jane will chime in with an explanation.

Sue, even before I moved out of our house, we had gotten someone to take care of the leaves.  Our whole yard was full of oak trees like yours, but we had finally gotten someone to take care of the yard.  SO much easier.  My building has a contracted service that keeps the leaves here under control.  They've been several times already this fall.

I went to the holiday party with the swim group this morning - always a covered-dish brunch thing.  Such good food - and it was SO good to see all my buddies.  I do miss that class and group.  From there I went to my appointment with a neurosurgeon about the carpal tunnel.  He agreed that this was definitely indicated and someone is to call me to set up a date, etc.  I'll be glad to get that done.

Hugs to all the Buddies!

jane

These blimps have been in use along the border since at least 2014, but they've added more...including the one now here on the Island at Isla BlancaPark. This shows one and tells about them:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Surveillance-balloons-help-Border-Patrol-along-5748245.php

We went to Brownsville today. Grocery Store was very busy.  I also went to Ulta, a store I've come to like.

Lunch was at a Chinese buffet that has a Mongolian Grill so I could get the veggies of my choice cooked.  😎

It was 85 in Brownsville, but cooler here...a comfortable 73.  Tomorrow we have to take the car over to Edinburg for servicing...first oil change...at 10,000 miles.  Geez, I remember when they had "break-in oil" and then could only drive so fast, etc. for 300 miles, or so.  Now, synthetic oil and change every 10,000 miles.

Jane

SharonE

Wow, that blimp is something!! Thanks for the info and pic.  They have put in a new mall across the street from Sun City, which I probably told you.  Ulta is one of the stores, but I haven't made it there yet. There are a lot of stores and more opening all the time--Panera, Burlington, Ross, Kirklands, TJ Maxx, Petco, Starbucks, Wild Birds, and later to have Home Goods and others.  Most discounted stores.

It's 1 AM. I slept in this AM and didn't do much today, then had hot chocolate before bed, so I'm not sleeping.

We are 16" over normal here and supposed to get 1-2" tomorrow & Friday. Nice the rest of the weekend and Christmas.  Unfortunately, I have to get a haircut ad grocery shop tomorrow.

Lori, skyped her condo for John and me today. She has had both bathrooms completely redone!  I had seen the rest of the renovations, but John hadn't.  She has really increased the value of her condo and found low priced contractors to do it + what she did herself.  Looks great!

Mary, I didn't know you had given up the swimming class. I know you enjoyed it so much. Glad you went to the party.  Too bad you will have to have the surgery on your hand, but it sounds like it's necessary.  I have mild carpal tunnel, but not considering surgery yet.  I've been under the knife way too much in the last year or so. I'm wondering whether my cold is really an allergy as nothing seems to be working.  I'm not feeling terrible, but just not up to par.

Hope tomorrow is better.  Sharon

Marilyn

Well I made the down payment on the roof yesterday and they are supposed to bring the roofing materials today and put them up there, So it looks like we are getting our roof after all.

I have come down with what seems like a cold and I just pray that it will be gone by Jan 2 when I go for the preop appt with the eye surgeon. Surgery is scheduled for Jan 3.

maryz

Marilyn, great news on the roof.  Hope all goes well.  Also with the cataract surgery.

Sharon, I didn't want to give up the class, but I realized I wasn't seeing well enough to drive when it's dark.  And that class started at 7:30, so I was having to be on the road before sunrise in the wintertime.  I hope to start back up in the spring.  I should be going to the pool at a later time and just walking, etc., but laziness took over - plus the PT and what seems like unending doctors' appointments.  Oh, well.

jane, glad to hear about your temps.  My Iowa friends from here are heading down on the 27th, and will be there through March.  I know they're hoping for those nice warmer temps.

Margaret is coming to get me on Sunday sometime. Kate will also be going to Margaret's on Sunday.
 I know we'll be there through Tuesday, but don't know what'll happen after that.

Best holiday wishes to all the Buddies!

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's cold and damp here this morning.  I am still working on Christmas Cards--and hope to get that out of the way this morning.  I'm expecting one of the Seniors and Friends about 11:00.  He'll bring me a poinsettia from S&F and we'll chat a bit.  He has driven me to the dentist at least once in the past couple of years.  Seniors and Friends is a large group of mostly retirees who help out with transportation and other services for people like me who no longer drive.  I pay an annual fee and use them to go to dental, eye, and other appointments (haircuts most often).  Because of the brace I'm still wearing on my right leg, I don't think my sons will agree to let me drive again--although they have let me keep my car.  Tim uses it to take me to the library, Kroger, and out to lunch on Fridays.

I have some more Christmas notes to write and put in the mail box this morning, so need to get busy doing that.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

jane

Good morning, Buddies, from the Island where it's cooler...low 60s now, but sunny.  We have a 1:30 appt for the car 70 miles away...over north of McAllen for those who know TX geography.

Marilyn...good news on the roof.

Sharon...we could have chatted early this morning...I, too, was awake...joints protesting the latest weather front.

Sue...hope dentist appt goes well. 

Mary...I hope these temps last, too.

Jane