Random Image

flowers

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Show Me A Photo Of...

Started by Jeanne Lee, August 08, 2017, 09:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackwv

Well it is time to do some chores and get away from the computer.   Remembered I had this photo on the machine.  This statue is several blocks from my home on Route 40 the old National Road.  It is Madonna of the Trail, and dedicated to the pioneer women that traveled to their new homes.  There are 12 of the same statue, one in each of 12 states that were along the National Road.

[attachimg=1]

Joy

Jack,  I remember you posting that picture of the Madonna of the Trail before, but don't remember your mentioning that there are 12 of them in each of the 12 states along the old National Road.  I looked up where the one in Maryland is.  It is on the Md. Rt. 355 in Bethesda, right outside DC. 

That would be nice to see, but don't think I will ever get to see it now.  I haven't been over in that area for many years.  We used to go to the Washington Zoo through Silver Spring,  but  didn't know about that statue way back then. 

It must be very impressive to see in person.

Joy
BIG BOX

Radioman34

Hello world! wishing everyone a good week.

jackwv

Thanks Don.

Joy you may have noticed she is even holding a gun.   Interesting link that has the history, locations and photos of each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_of_the_Trail

Mary Ann

Jack, I could not make out a gun in the Madonna of the Trail statue, however, considering the time frame she represents, I can see why she might have one.  I am a DAR and I knew the statues existed.

It's windy at Grand Haven with lots of whitecaps on Lake Michigan.

Mary Ann

Joy

Mary Ann,   you can just make out the very end of the gun she is holding in her right hand.  Looks like it sits on the handle of the gun leaning up against her leg.  (Don't know what that end of the gun is called ?)   You can tell I don't know a lot about guns. LOL

Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

BIG BOX

Joy

Jack, I think you and Mary Ann are a lot like me.  Spend  WAY TOO MUCH  time on the computer just googling stuff.  Everytime I think I better get off here and do something more constructive,  I think of something else to look up.   :computer:

Joy
BIG BOX

jackwv

Joy thanks for posting that shot.  Taking your advice, getting off the computer and going to do something (constructive?)  Joining my son at our favorite pub and will have a few Gin and Tonic.   

Mary Ann

Jack, that sounds very constructive!!!

Thanks, Joy, I can make out something, but it didn't look like a gun to me. 

Mary Ann

jackwv

The statue I posted is at the entrance to a small park near me, not Oglebay.  Here is another statue located in the park, a civil war statue.

[attachimg=1]

Joy

Jack,  I think your idea is a great idea for doing some "constructive".  LOL 

Joy
BIG BOX

so_P_bubble

so_P_bubble

Geisha

[attachimg=1]

jackwv

Bubble that is a beautiful carving, and interesting links.  Have always admired what wood carvers create. 

Shirley

Oh, do not have time to talk but was creating birthday cards for the week, 4 done so far but 4 more to go.... & wanted to show y'all what today looks like out my kitchen window.  The red/yellow & burgandy tree is a Cleveland pear, the yellow one is a sweet gum.... that I grew from a seedling.  We finally got rid of the drizzle & fog & all this color popped out.  It's dark & my neighbor just called to remind me my dumpster is NOT out by the curb. 

Shirley

So many photos & links (some I could get & some not).... so I have one of a sculpture maker of "downed" trees here in Wichita.  Most of the time they were left standing where they died but sometimes they were mounted back on the stump.  Early in his career a friend of mine helped him get started, how I learned of him.  I think he has almost a primative quality but they grow on you (me).  http://ginosalerno.com/8443.html

I do love all the photos & wish I could see every place in person... Now about those strawberries, I just discovered a new type of grape and can't get my fill.  I'm going up to the frig see if it says where they come from... so different from any grape I have ever eaten!  They were demonstrating them at Sam's Club the other day & I am doing a good job finishing off the 3 lb. tup I bought. They came from CA (a product of the US) called "Grapery"

Think I will go to bed soon, will give cats their midnight snack early. Lots to do tomorrow, supposed to be in the 70s but windy. 

jackwv

Shirley, beautiful fall colors.  Ours is about gone.  Now I have a young Cleveland Pear and its leaves are still green. May post a photo when they yellow.  Liked the link, he has talent.

so_P_bubble

Very special sculptures, Shirley, thanks for the link. Have you never done a painting of a sculpture?

halkel

I had a lady that worked for me that did sculptures.  Most of animals and she was very good at it.  They were the little ones that sit on a table.

Shirley

Bubble, I've been all over the computer today, looking for a photo of the only sculpture around here that impresses me, it's called, "Keeper of the Plains"... done by Blackbear Bosin.  He was alive when I painted it & "rumor" was that nobody could paint it because
he kept all rights & only allowed the Indian Center to sell reproductions.  I knew this wasn't true but called him to ask/tell him I had a painting of the statue & planned to take if for sale at the next show I was doing.  He told me okay & came to the show, said he liked the painting & I thanked him & said I loved the statue.  It sold immediately, to someone that he knew.  I painted it again with a different background & colors & a friend went bonkers over it, wanted to buy but I insisted on giving it to her.  Difficult to paint so never did it again.  I dug into my PhotoBucket account (had to reset my password).... so here's a photo of the statue.  Don't have a photo of either painting.  I thought I had a group of photos of sculptures I've done but not in PhotoBucket.   :-[   I really enjoyed sculpting but don't have my own kiln & too much trouble to have them fired someplace else.  I took classes at the city art department & firing was included.

so_P_bubble

What a sculpture!  and in steel! I had to check it and found it fascinating. Thanks Shirley.

https://www.visitwichita.com/listing/keeper-of-the-plains-plaza/28029/

Your sculptures were clay? not wood?

Shirley

I used different types of clay, Bubble... had them fired where we had the classes & then put paint/patina on... some looked like bronze but the clay would break or chip in not careful.  I did have a few pieces "high" fired by a lady with her own kiln.... I was told by the owner of the store that sold all equipment (where I bought the clay).. that a high fired piece was as durable as granite.  I made a plaque with the names of my father's great grandparents that came from France in 1855 & buried in a little cemetery on their farm.   Now that there is a road all the way back to where my ancestors are buried, we could have put in a real monument, but since the stump was removed nobody is left alive that could actually find the burial spot.  I just wanted a record of whose bodies were there if ever dug up, not sure that anything would remain of wooden coffins or even bones, since they died before my father was born.  My grandmother was born in 1871 and the farm was left to her when her grandparents died, instead of leaving it to either of their daughters. Then when Dad died I made a stone about 10" square with my parents names in a cross, me & my siblings & all 23 of their grands names  surrounding... put on it "Love Lives On". It is tough enough for a mower to drive over.  I visit a few times a year & pull the grass away.  I buried it flat near the vase for flowers mounted in their tomb stone.  The cemetery only allows one type of monument.  I donated a couple sculptures for auctions, charities.... was told the one sold for well over $100 but didn't get a report from the other.  I never took them to a show or offered for sale, quit doing shows by then, so they've been used for gifts or still in my basement.  More than you wanted to know, huh?  Thanks for that link.  :crazy2:

so_P_bubble

I have 3 or 4 masks molded by my children and me, made of unfired clay.  We sprayed them with metallic paint, bronze, copper or gold and they still look good on the wall after thirty years.

jackwv

I have posted this in the past.  Statues that are in the garden of a nearby mansion.  This was during the summer when the fountain was on.

[attachimg=1]

Show me a photo of doors, gates or garden entrances.

Radioman34

This sculpture of Father and Child is on the grounds of the Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem

[attachimg=1]

(resized)

Jeanne Lee

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JeanneP

I love that Sculpture but it looks like a female. (like has breast). Doubt could be done here as shown Naked. US seem to be funny about naked art
JeanneP

jackwv

JeanneP glad you posted, it has been quiet in here.    Think with all the news the message is "ok to look, just don't touch" ;)

Now I had requested photos of doors, gates or garden entrances.  Here is one to the Mansion several blocks from my home.

[attachimg=1]

so_P_bubble

Gregorius XIII gate - Rome

[attachimg=1]