Random Image

for a five year old and his twin sister. He has tragic cancer conditions.

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 11:35:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joyous

Our Very rare snow (about 20 years since we got it) is covering the house tops that
are in the shady areas. Such a surprise for Louisiana ::)
Joy

jane

Joy...what fun for kids there who've never seen snow up close and personal!  There were pics on TV here of kids out trying to build snowmen with the little that was on the ground...but they were having a lot of fun. 

Sue...yep, the Blue Devils lost to BC.  Your Navy almost pulled it out. 

It's all been gone out to sea now and the sun is shining.  We're going to drive up north a bit to a citrus orchard where there's a buy who sells local honey...orange blossom and wildflower honey.  Tonight we're meeting friends for ribs...postponed from Thursday when it was so nasty here.

I hope to get out for a walk, too...haven't done that for quite a while.

jane

SharonE

Sue, what a nice thing for the organist and her husband to do.  Have fun.  Isn't it quite a rarity for you to get snow too?  I heard Birmingham got 5"!!   We got a few flurries that melted on impact.

Jane, so glad you have nice weather again. After all, that's what you're down there for!!    :D :D

We went to Pineville yesterday to get some more Christmas printer stationery & ink. John drove me, so I was glad of that. We went straight to Office Depot and then home.  I got all my Christmas letters printed and John folded and stuffed and put labels, etc on the envelopes.  Today, I will go through them and write notes on a few special and then let him seal them.  They should get in the mail tomorrow.

We're back from church & SS & I have a load of towels in the washer and have eaten. John is off to his monthly financial meeting at the church.

Really cold for us here--around 34 or so. Same all week. Yuck!  I freeze anymore at such temps, even in church and at home.  I sent my dr a note to check my thyroid again when I have a lab after Christmas.

No other news here.  Hi to everyone.  Stay warm, Joy!  And everyone else.  Sharon

SCFSue

Hello, Buddies.  This morning Olyne and I went downstairs where our female minister is teaching a class on the New Testament teachings.  We are going to ask for copies of lessons 1 & 2 as we didn't attend those.  Kathy had a really interesting presentation this morning--and there will be another 5 or 6 weeks of these lessons.  She had slides and was comparing and contrasting the messages from the Gospels as well as some of the references to a Messiah from the Old Testament. 

I've had lunch and cleaned up the kitchen and am getting ready to watch some football and reading one of the books I checked out of the library yesterday.  Outside the church two of the men had an old John Deere tractor which will pull a sled full of our young children in this afternoon's Christmas Parade in the downtown area.  This is the first time that this parade has occurred on a Sunday!  I'm surprised that it is happening today.  Usually it happens on a Friday evening about dark.

Joy, did you take pictures?  Our snow melted so quickly, except for on my car, that I don't think anyone got a picture unless they were out of bed before 6:00 a.m.!

Jane, I was astonished that Duke lost that BBall game.  I was hoping Navy would beat Army, but of course it didn't happen.  What a mess it must have been to play in the snow and VERY Cold weather!

Sharon, this is the second year that Steve and Karen have invited us to their home for drinks and dinner.  They have several decorated trees up and many other Christmas items, so it was very festive.  They served baked ham with vegetable dishes and our choice of pecan or lemon meringue pie.  I chose pecan and it was delicious!  It's nice to feel that our organist and building manager care about we widows.  We still have one male widower living, but perhaps he didn't want to come to a hen party!

The weather here right now at 2:05 is 48*--and will probably fall lower when the sun starts to sink.  This is the earliest since I moved up here from the farm that we've had snow and temps below the mid 50's.

Have a great afternoon and may your teams win if you are watching football.
Sue

SharonE

It's almost 2 AM and I'm still wide awake.  I slept about an hour before dinner though.  I haven't checked on the Panthers. I don't know if they won or not.  I don't follow college football and just a bit on the Panthers. I like college basketball and I, too, was surprised to see Duke lose.  They win way too much.  IU has a new coach and is in a building year, so they aren't doing too well.

I'm glad you had such a nice dinner at your organist's house.  Today, the UMW had a luncheon for all the women of the church who cared to come.  It looked quite festive. However, I didn't go. John and I drove over together.  I hope you continue to enjoy your Bible Study.  We did 4 very long, in-depth studies of the Bible that covered it all and lasted about 36 weeks each, so unless something really interesting comes up, I probably won't take another. Our SS studies are pretty good and led by a retired minister.

Yesterday, I got my Christmas letter all printed out and John stuffed, labeled, and stamped them. Today, I went through and wrote some short notes on some of them and then let him seal them up, so into the mail they go tomorrow.  We have a Christmas Mail Box at church divided by letters of the alphabet and so most of us put our church cards in it.  I put mine in it today.

I also did 2 loads of laundry today, so I am feeling better, but I crashed about 6:00 PM.  I'm doing a lot of walking without my cane too.  I use it when I've been sitting or lying down for a while and it's stiff.  I also used it at church as there are a few steps to navigate and I need it for that.

PT tomorrow and then the guy is going to steam detail my car and wax it on Tues.  The landscaper is also coming that day to get all my hydrangeas pulled out and replaced with encore azaleas and some pruning, so nothing much exciting going on here.

Mary, haven't heard from you for a couple days. How's your back and knees?

Hi to all. Sharon

SCFSue

I've been cleaning leaves away from my entry doors and also on my deck this morning.  There are still many leaves awaiting clean up, but I have a Christmas Party this afternoon, so am going to shower and dress shortly and read until my ride gets here about 2:00.  This is the book club party which I always enjoy--it starts at 1:30, but Frederissa who is picking me up has a Bunco Christmas Party at noon and won't be here until 2:00.  Actually, I'll probably start writing notes in a few Christmas cards after I'm dressed.

It's still very chilly here--quite unusual for this time of year--but the cold weather is expected to last through the weekend at least if the weather man is right!  It was fine for raking up leaves and toting them to the curb, though.

Sharon, I'm sorry you're still having problems with sleeping.  I don't think I could manage that--I'm a good sleeper and I usually get at least 7 1/2 hours, sometimes 8 per night.  If I have something on my mind that I need to finish early the next day, that will keep me awake later.

Jane, did you get the local honey you were looking for?  I hope your dinner out with friends was fun--and how is the weather?  I'm hoping we'll get a few days of warmer temps--but I hustled around so much trying to get lots of the leaves raked and down to the curb that I was pretty warm then.

Hello to Mary, Joy, Alpiner, GinnyAnn, and whoever might be looking in.  I'm off to shower and dress, then to write a few Christmas notes for tomorrow's mail man.  He's already been here this morning!

Sue

maryz

Happy 11 December!  It's a lovely chilly day in Chattanooga.  I've been to swimming and coffee and a check-up appointment with the pulmonary doc.  Nothing new in that department (fortunately).  My bridge partner just called and cancelled for tonight.  She had a Mohs procedure on a place on her face today, and was told to stay home the rest of the day.  So no bridge until next Monday.

Margaret came by last night on her way home from the basketball game (#11 Lady Vols beat #2 U.Texas!!!).  She's in good spirits, and will is mentally ready for her surgery on Friday.  I can't remember if I said, our young friend from the Nashville area had her lumpectomy last Thursday, and did well - no surprises and no node involvement.  Of course, we're hoping Margaret's outcome is the same.  I'm not planning to go for the surgery, but may go sometime after that to stay for a few days - all at Margaret's discretion, of course.

Sharon, I'm sorry you're having the sleep problems.  Like Sue, I'm usually a pretty good sleeper, but on occasion, I'm sitting up there with you.  I hope you get a good solid night tonight.

Sue, it's great you enjoy doing your yard work - something I never liked doing.  I remember your having a lovely yard - with lots of trees (and hence, leaves).

jane, local honey is always a treat.  I hope you're still enjoying your new condo.  I know you enjoy being at SPI.

Joy, I know the kids (and some adults) in Baton Rouge enjoyed seeing the snow - and probably were glad that it didn't last longer.

Happy two weeks before Christmas to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SCFSue

The book club party was nice with lots of people who don't often come to book club (which is only one of the many Campus Club sponsors).  We had wine, lots of snacks which were home made and delicious, and a pleasant time.  We didn't talk about the books we were donating, which disappointed me as I like to see what people choose to give.  Most who have been teachers choose interesting age appropriate books and those who have never been teachers seem to choose books I don't think kids will enjoy--but hey, I don't know every kid's reading taste!

I have a busy morning planned tomorrow.  My neighbor on Green Street is picking me up to vote in the Alabama Primary election and I'm hoping we'll have a good turnout for the Democrat, Doug Jones.  Unfortunately, that snake, Roy Moore, who has been kicked out of office twice by the Alabama Supreme Court has a huge right wing Religious party following and will probably win.  That will send him to the senate and get him out of our hair, but he is a criminal as far as I'm concerned.  I don't think the U. S. Senators will put up with his shenanigans!  (at least I hope not!)  And Tim is taking me to see the Heart Surgeon for a follow up visit after lunch.

Have a nice evening, Every Buddy.
Sue

jane

We ended up having a busy day.  We went to Brownsville because I wanted some perfumed body lotion and Dillard's was out.  So, we had lunch at a Jason's Deli and Ray suggested we go to Harlingen to that Dillard's.  Off up the interstate we went.  One clerk looked and looked...couldn't find it, went and got the usual clerk for that section...and the two of them searched. Nothing.  She then went and got the Manager of that area, and the three looked for all the special packaging they put together as gift packages and could find nothing.  Finally the Manager took down a big display that had to have been expensive, and took out the lotion part and sold it to me.  THAT's customer service!

We went to a large HEB, the big grocery store in this area of TX, and then headed back down to the Island.  We were both worn out.  [It doesn't take much any more to wear us out, it seems.]I had to buy my honey there...the local guy up at Bayview wasn't there any more, unfortunately.

Tomorrow I'm going to lunch with the wives of the fellows Ray's golfing with. 

Temps in the 70s again here, so delightful.

jane

joyous

MaryZ and All:
It was such a rarity for Baton Rouge to see snow.(I think I have seen it (maybe
3 or 4 times in my life of 88 (almost 89--12/21) years) and probably will not ever
see it again.  No, I did not take pictures.  It would be a major hazard for me to
venture out of my Senior Living facility to get pictures :( I enjoyed the sight from
my second floor windows.
But now it is all gone.
JOY

jane

Joy...glad you could enjoy it safe inside.

Beautiful morning here...will get ready to go,out for lunch at 11:30.  Tough day,huh!   :P

I did laundry last night as I watched football and knitted. 

Have a good Tuesday. 

Jane

SCFSue

It's very chilly here this morning.  I am waiting for my neighbor on the next street to come pick me up to vote in the Senatorial election.  We are both Democrats and voting for Doug Jones, but unfortunately I think that slime ball "Judge" Roy Moore will be elected.  He has been sanctioned for illegal activity twice by the Alabama Supreme Court, but his following is massive--just total ignorance, IMHO!

I'll check in later to see what's going on here.  I have an appointment with the Cardiologist after lunch.  Tim will pick me up and take me to the appointment.

Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals, Sue, you do have a busy day planned.  Sorry the book club didn't tell what books they were donating.  Some of the books my younger grands are reading are surprising to me.  The youngest, however, asked for more career guidance books for Christmas.  He thinks he wants to be in some branch of law enforcement but not sure what.  I had given him 2 such books last summer that he really liked, so I hope he finds the information he wants in the new ones. Good luck with your cardiologist appt. As to the election, it is just a mess.

Mary, prayers going out for Margaret. Glad she was able to stop by last night. Hope everything goes well. In general, I think it does for post-menopausal women.  It's the younger ones that are really in danger-- Aor those that have let it go too long. Neither of which apply to Margaret.  Sorry about your bridge partner cancelling. Good you got your swimming in.  Our pool is currently closed for repairs.  However, I fear that it will soon figure in my future.

Thanks for the commiseration with my insomnia.  Right now, it's half pain and half true insomnia. Wish I had a switch for sleep.  Sue, I need 8-8.5 hrs of sleep a night. I got by on less than 7 when I was teaching, but just can't now.  I slept fairly well last night except woke up with both knees hurting about 3:30 and took a Tramadol. Slept fine after that.

The landscaper is here and John is dealing with him.  I have to get the car done at 1:00, but that's my only appt.  So glad to have my cards done, also my laundry!

I don't mind the snow here if I don't have to go out in it. I'm sure LA enjoyed their brief spat.

Jane, I like to get raw honey from the farmers too, although I don't use a lot.  It does help with allergies if it is local.

I'm dressed and have eaten, but still need to brush my teeth, etc.  Sharon

Cottoncandy

Well yesterday was not a good day for me..I decided to go do a little more Christmas shopping and about 15 miles from my house a large Buck deer cone running across highway and smashed the back door and fender on my truck....I could still drive it..but there was no avoiding the collision...with hunting season now...he was probably runnng from a hunter....anyway...I have called my ins...and my son owns a body shop here..so it will get taken care of....have a good day buddies Darlene

maryz

Happy Early Birthday, Joy! I think snow is best enjoyed from a comfortable chair in a warm house.  But then I've lived in the midsouth almost all my life, so when I did have to get out in it, it was just a dangerous chore.   ;)

Sue, I've got my fingers crossed for you and your election today.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  I'm glad you're getting out to vote.

I've been out to pick up my Walmart order.  That's the greatest invention ever (or at least recently)!  Place my order online, choose a time for pickup, go get it, they put it in your car.  It's fabulous!

I'm going out to dinner with friends this evening - to a favorite place for Vietnamese food.  Yum!

Stay warm, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SCFSue

I've voted--and NOT for Roy Moore.  I'm afraid he will be elected, though, despite all the publicity about his mistreatment of young women.  Alabama voters want to believe that a "Christian" only tells the truth!  Hah!  There was a pretty large turnout at my polling place when I arrived and when I signed my name on the voting list, it was already pretty long and people were arriving as I voted.  I guess we'll get the results sometime this evening on the news.  I didn't see many Black voters, though, as they tend to vote before work or after work.

We had a little bit of snow, which I probably mentioned yesterday or the day before.  None stuck except on my car.  I'm happy about that as I had to do lots of shoveling during our 2 tours in Brunswick, Maine.  The first tour, Bill was just a year old and I was already pregnant with Tim.  To get out to go to my pre-natal visits, I'd have to park the car down at the end of the drive, slog through the 3-4 feet of snow that came down overnight and shovel the front of the car where the plow pushed all those feet up over the front of the car!  During the second tour, Bill was 12 and one year I had to let him climb out a window and shovel the snow away from the front and back door.  They were completely covered with snow.  Then both of us tramped up the hill to the place we'd parked the truck and dug it out of there.  Oh, the joys of winter in New England!

Enough grousing about the weather!  I hope you all have good weather and a happy day today.
Sue

jane

Darlene....OUCH on the truck...but those deer do run into vehicles as he did yours.  I'm glad you could still drive it and were not injured. 

Sue...the Alabama race has certainly been all the talk on cable news stations. 

Mary...I saw the HEB grocery in Harlingen had a place for pickup of phoned in or emailed in orders. 

Sharon...nice the detail man comes to your house.  We have to take our car to a place at home, but the woman does an excellent job. 

Lunch out was fine.  We asked to be moved when a group of 25-30 "Red Hatters" were there and were so loud.  Then one would ring a china bell that just reverberated around the dining room.  We got moved to a corner where we could at least talk to each other and be heard. 

jane

maryz

Darlene, missed your bad news when I posted earlier.  We lost a car many years ago when a cow ran into our car, and the deer thing happened to one of our daughters.  Animals can surely cause a lot of damage.

jane, glad you were able to get moved at the restaurant.  That's SO annoying!  Glad that HEB offers the pickup service.  Another chain in our area (Food City) offers the service, too.  It's really helpful.

Marilyn

Hello, every Buddy. Darlene sorry to hear about your truck. Those deer can sure cause a lot of damage and very ofter total the whole front end of a car.

Sue, I don't understand how Christians can even support Roy Moore and say they don't believe those young ladies/girls. They are supporting a pedophile.

Jane, another thing that I find so annoying in a restaurant is someone talking on their cell phone, it is even worse when it is someone at your own table. ( which has happened at our Friday night dinners).

Happy Birthday, Joy.

Sherry sorry you are having a problem with sleeping. I put a couple of drops of Lavender Essential oil on my feet and rub that in it really helps. Also, the magnesium that  I take at bedtime helps too. Your feet are the most absorbent part of your body and the essential oil really penetrates to help with sleep.

Mary, Did you find out about Walmart picking up your perishables.

I vacuumed the house this morning and it really needed a good vacuuming. The furry friends Christmas party on Saturday was so much fun. I picked up an Ornament that I can put Freckles pawprint in plaster of Paris, two doggie kitchen towels and a tempered glass cutting board that has two labs and a duck painted inside the glass. Tus coming Friday is the Hospice potluck, I received a card from Hospice with a $20 gift certificate to the Hospice Thrift shop I still have one from last year so now I have $40 that I can spend there.

SharonE

Hi Marilyn, I was wondering where you were.  I will try the oil on the bottoms of my feet.  I use lavender body butter after my shower and I do take magnesium and also melatonin. I don't know what else to do. Glad you had such nice parties.  Enjoy!

Darlene, I'm so sorry about the deer. They really are bad this time of the year. We have been fortunate & never hit one, but I had a friend who hit one the day before TG and with another truck hit another one right before Christmas the same year!!  They lived in a pretty rural area.  I've had them cross the road ahead of me but far enough ahead, I could slow down and avoid them.  Certainly handy that your son owns a body shop!!

The guy who detailed my car came to the Lodge which is about 3 blocks from me. I sat inside and read. He did an absolutely wonderful job and the car looks like new!

OUr HT grocery takes orders online or on the phone and has them ready at a specified time. I think they may deliver them now. Not sure. I've used the online order a few times and had John pick them up. They even take the coupons and the charge card at the pick-up point. 

The landscaper got our overgrown hydrangeas pulled out and the new azaleas in plus another bush plus pruning, so it looks really nice out back.  The new azaleas are just under our bedroom windows.

PT tomorrow, groan.   But my cleaning gal will be here so I guess it balances out.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  Just a quickie as I'll be picked up in about 45 minutes for my Wednesday Bridge Club's Christmas luncheon at the University Club.  I've showered, washed and blown my hair dry, dressed, and am going to write as many Christmas cards as I can before Terri gets here.

I am ecstatic that Doug Jones won the election last night and "Judge" Roy Moore bit the dust.  I think he'll try to sue, but I don't think it'll go very far.  I wish more of our local representatives were more like Doug Jones--who represents all the people, not just a privileged few!

I hope today is a happy one for you, too!
Sue

maryz

I surely am glad to be able to get back in to S&F.  Last night, I started getting an "insecure" message when I tried.  It was happening to jane, too - and lots of others.  But the wonderful tech elves have gotten it fixed.

Sue, lots of happiness here about Doug Jones' win, too.  Roy Moore has been spewing hate for many years.  But enough about that.

Marilyn, I don't buy many perishables anymore, so that's not an issue for me.  Sharon mentioned that they took the charge cards at pickup.  At Walmart, they got my WM credit card when I signed up for the service, so I don't have to have my card for pickup.

Pretty cold here - in the 20s this morning when I headed out to swimming.  I took my car in for the annual inspection.  I've learned to go midweek in the middle of the month, and rarely have to wait.  Today I was the only one there when I drove up, and it took all of 5 minutes.  I came home, filled out the online application, and should get my renewal stickers in the mail tomorrow.  They're good!  That was pretty much all for today - and about the same for tomorrow.  I'll just stay in and stay warm.

Happy Hump Day, Buddies!

joyous

I have been having the same problem----computer has told me that this website
is not secure. >:( I must have tried 25 times to get on, and at last ----success)
A BIG nuisance !!!
So glad to be able to correspond w/friends again                       1
Joy

jane

Good that they got the certificate issue thing fixed.

We went over to the big “flea market” at Donna/Weslaco....an area Mary knows well, so Ray could get some golf balls and we picked up a pineapple that is delicious.  I got a haircut which I needed badly and we went out to a local place for supper. 

Rain to come in Friday and my joints knows that already!

Jane

SCFSue

The luncheon was nice, but the bridge afterward was awful.  I had terrible cards and didn't get one good hand!  But otherwise I enjoyed myself.

I'm glad S&F is back on track now.  I was worried that I might have gotten a virus here, but so far no evidence of that.

It's time to be moving off to bed, so will say good night.  I'll be back sometime tomorrow.  I've got a lot of Christmas cards to write.  So far, have only mailed 6!

Sleep well, Buddies.
Sue

jane

Good Thursday morning, Buddies!

Lazy day for me today...going out for lunch with Iowa friend while husbands play golf.

We’ve been so pleased by the response to repairs here.  We had a fan that was running 24/7 in the second bathroom and I couldn’t find a way to turn it off.  The desk sent up two housekeepers who said not normal, and a repairman was here with an hour.  He had to replace some part and now...quiet!

Jane

SCFSue

Good morning!  Although it's almost 11:00.  I've been writing notes in Christmas cards and put the completed ones out in the mail box.  My mailman is usually here before noon, but hadn't come when I put them out.

It's chilly again this morning, but not as cold as it has been.  I haven't gone for a walk, so might do that after lunch. 

Jane, enjoy your lunch with your friend.  That's great service to have the maids notify the office and the repairman came so quickly!  I hope you're having a warm and sunny day. 

Hi to Every Buddy looking in.  I'm going to try to get more Christmas notes written this afternoon.

Sue

SharonE

Hi, Great on the repair service, Jane. The noise of a fan drives me bonkers.

Sue, hope you get all your notes written and cards out.  Ours went out Monday.

I just got back from the pain dr which was an unnecessary appt for them, but the St Jude tech did come and reprogrammed me again.  I do wish it would work this time.

The ant man came for the 2nd time today and resprayed some places where we had seen them again + the outside perimeter.  I hope that takes care of them.

A man from the computer club is coming over tomorrow AM to try to install my Echo (Alexa) that Lori gave me. She's been giving me grief because I haven't been able to use it yet.

50 degrees and sunny here, but seems colder.

Hi to all.  Sharon

SharonE

Where is everyone?  Guy was here and with some trouble finally got my Echo to connect to the wifi. Neither of us know what he did that worked, but something did. Now, I have to figure out what I want to use it for.
:D

I finally have the rest of the day free and John's gone to bridge.  Hope everyone is having a good day. Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I am dressed and ready to go out to lunch with Tim and then to Kroger.  I've been working on Christmas cards this morning and hope to finish before he gets here, but sister Anne called and although we only talked 30 minutes (a record for a call from Anne!), I still haven't finished my Christmas card notes. 

Hi Sharon,  I'm here for a short while and will check a few of my other S&F messages, but need to get back to the Christmas cards.  I don't want my once a year correspondents to think I've died this year!

Hi to Every Buddy else.  I'll be back later this afternoon.

Sue