Random Image

Winter Solstice

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyn

I now have a heel spur on my left hell Oh glory what fun it is to get old. NOT!!!

I am going over to visit my hospice patient this morning then this after noon take my friend to to  Dr to see if she will getting the cast off hr ankle. She has planned a little celebration with a few friend after the dr visit at the local Brewery. I  will be bringing supper home to Keith.

We are not going to Vancouver to see his kids. The oldest and I ahve agreed that it is too dangerours for me to make that drive anymore and that taking Keith out of his  current environment may cause him to become more  confused. They will plan on coming her after we get the carpeting  out of this house and the cat urine smell out.

maryz

Marilyn, glad you're not going to travel any more with Keith.  It is SO hard for folks with dementia (and their caregivers) to be out of their environment.  I hope you can get the carpet taken care of soon.  And Yuck! on the heel spur - when your feet hurt, everything hurts.

Sue, you should be getting some "cooler" weather soon.

Our high was 100 yesterday, but a front came through last night, and it's supposed to "cool" off today and be "only" a seasonable 90.  We did get a dribble of rain overnight, but with lots of lightning and thunder.

Good luck with the lawyer visit, jane.  I hope you can get most of it taken care of today.  Something else ALWAYS shows up that needs attention, but at least it eventually stops.

Happy Hump Day, Buddies!

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JeanneP

Sharon. Yes. Our weather still so hot. Just lost the urge to do anything during the day. So just reading. keep place tidy but now houses work as such.
Nothing to get me to turn on the Computer other than I do check in on S and F. Nothing to write about. Just check up on ths forum. See what all you ladies doing. Glad you are report in. Seem to be doing well. They taking good care of you. Jane is handling things well . Was a sad month or so on S and F. people sick and some passing. Just had to take a break. TV reporting had to stop watching also and the crime in our area so bad at the moment. Staying close to home. I don't care for real cold winter bu sort of looking forward to Fall.
So all take care. I am looking in but not talking.
JeanneP

maryz

Nobody showing up here today.  Guess we're all zonked out by the heat.
 Gee, we "only" got up to 93 today.

I'm having more and more trouble breathing and with lack of stamina.  Once I sit for a while, it all eases out, but just walking down the hall to the elevator or even getting dressed, just has me puffing and needing to sit for a while.  I'm going to really pull back on any activity until after I see the valve doctor next week.

And so much for my happy news.  I hope y'all are just staying cool.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Mary, I'm sure that it is scary when you have trouble breathing. Good luck with your surgery. It seems that they do them well these days. You're right in staying put until they take care of it.

I've done all the morning things and am waiting on Pt.  oHOH, JUST GOT THE MESSAGE TO COME DOWN.  SHARON

jane

Mary....YES, cut back on your activities until you see the valve doc.  When Ray had a heart problem, the docs said to go home and learn to be a "couch potato" until they could get him in to do the bypass. 

Sharon...glad the PT is helping you with strength and stamina.  Keep up the good work, Babe!

I am waiting for my neighbor to come and take a box of buns, left over from the funeral dinner.  The other "left overs" the caterer froze into 4 portion vacuum sealed containers and I've rented a locker from them to keep the meat, gravy, potatoes and corn until I can get room in my own freezer...now full of soups the family had made for Ray.  I'm going to see about donating some to the "Second Helpings" the churches do on a rotating basis every Monday at the Methodist Church for anyone who needs a good meal. 

My sister called this morning to check on me and she wants me to come this fall for a visit and I'll go there for Christmas, as well.  I'll fly.  I'm not up to the 10-11 hour drive right now.

Tonight our Friday Night group has invited me to continue to join them, so that'll be nice. I'm in my "gardening clothes" to get out and get some of those nasty weeds pulled.  They've so taken over everything, I'm in the mood to yank those buggers out!

Have a great Friday, Babes!

jane

maryz

jane, glad you're making some plans.  Is your sister a widow? I've forgotten - where does she live?  Good that you can find a place to store (or donate) the frozen food.  I thought "bringing food" was mainly a southern thing.  :)   Where my Aunt Betsy lived in the Valley (Edinburg, TX), when there was a death in the family, a local furniture store brought a refrigerator to the home to store all the food that was brought to the family.  I've never heard of that anywhere else, but always thought it was such a great idea and service.

maryz

Sharon, I hope your PT is going well.  Any idea yet on how long you'll be in rehab?

jane

Mary...no my sister isn't a widow. She and her husband and their daughter came out for the services from Ohio and then she stayed on while my BIL drove back home with their daughter who is a nurse and had to go back to work.  That daughter is the one whose only son was murdered in April. Their older daughter died of brain cancer when she was 46, now 9 years ago.

jane

maryz

Sorry I forgot, jane.  I remember now about your niece's death.  But I don't remember hearing about the murder.  So tough!

SharonE

I'm cleaned up and dressed and ready for PT if they come for me. They never did yesterday. I slept well last night but hurt a lot after OT. They had me standing a lot. I'hurt a lot in my hips.

Jane, I'm so glad you have things arranged for the food and to go to your sisters.  I really recommend taking a wheelchair through the airport if the walking bothers you.  It is so much faster and they whissk you through TSA ahead of everyone. I give the guys $5 each time.
Cheap at half the price. I know you and your sister are close, so the trips will be good.  I have no siblings left. I only had one brother. His wife is 87 and I love her to death, but she ccan't have visitors unless her daughters are free to run us around, etc.  Right now, she is in CO near Gunnison where they have a house. The kids take turns being with her. I'd love to go out thereee again, but coulddn't do much of anythinng except sit on the porch and look at the beautiful mountains.

Have a good day everyone.  I'm thinking of you, Jane.  Sharon

jane

Sharon...hope PT comes today for you.

Mary...stabbed in the heart by someone in April...at a convenience store in a rough part of Columbus, OH.  It was almost certainly drug related.  It doesn't make her loss any easier, but she and he are both far better off with him gone.  Sounds terrible, I know, but he stole from her, threatened her, broke into her house, and lied, lied, lied to get $$ for drugs, in spite of several stays at Rehab places.

I didn't sleep well last night and was up early.  YEP...jane was out weeding the flower bed at 7:00 AM!  I was there until 8:30 when the sun started to heat things up and I was tired. SO, back in for my second shower of the morning. 

Maybe I'll go out to the furniture store and look for a chair to replace this huge...and now broken...recliner Ray had.

jane

maryz

Sharon, as I recall, when I was in rehab after my knee replacement, I got PT or OT once during the weekend.  Surprised they missed you yesterday.

jane, how awful for all your family, but I agree, both are better off.  The results of drug addiction are awful...and the issue can certainly affect any family.

My breathing/stamina was really awful yesterday.  I didn't even try to go up for supper. I'm some better this morning, but if I have difficulty heading down the hall, I'll just have my meals brought down until I see the doc on Thursday. I really hope the valve issue is the causes of the problem, and can be fixed.

Margaret came by for a brief visit yesterday and brought lunch for us.  She was on her way to spend last night with Matt & Claire in Atlanta, then on to SC to stay at Sue's and visit with her friend who moved to the area near children and is in assisted living.  Monday is Sue's birthday - hope I remember to call her.

Happy weekend, Buddies!

Cottoncandy

well...I typed a long message this morning....don't know where it went...see it didn't post....so I will just say hi to everybody and have a great weekend

Cottoncandy

Where is everyone ?...Hope y'all are having a wonderful day....just home from church...had dinner on ground ....so I will grab a book and get caught up on my reading...CC

jane

I guess, Darlene, the Bosom Babes are all out having a good time somewhere.   :2funny:

It was a cool and rainy morning here, but the rain has passed on.  I need to get out and walk since I can't use the nasty hot weather as an excuse today.

I hope everybabe is having a blessed Sunday.

jane

maryz

Nothing going on here.  I talked to the nurse this morning and she agreed that I needed to stay put in my apartment.  She's going to check on me periodically and will check on getting me some supplemental oxygen.

Glad you're getting some cooler weather, jane.  Still in the mid to upper 90s, with no rain, around here.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  Today is trash pick up day and most of my trash cans have been emptied, but one is still down on the curb as the other kind of trash goes into a different truck.  I have had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but haven't done anything else.  It looks as if it may rain later this morning and if so, I'll stay inside and read.  I did get my "walk around the block" finished and am going to do a few small chores and then get back to reading.

Jane, I hope all the tasks you had lined up will be completed soon.  I can remember those days of having to contact some agency to take care of Bob's final days.  Usually the military part was the toughest!  Keep us posted and know that we are praying for you and hope you're beginning to get all the details completed.  I know this is tough and also tiring.  Take care of yourself!

Good morning to Mary (keep us posted about the new problem with oxygen), Darlene, and as well as anyone looking in.  Special thoughts for you, Jane.

Sue

jane

Mary...hope you feel better and can get oxygen until they can fix your heart.

Sue...on our trash day we put out both garbage for landfill and "recyclable" stuff for wherever they take that.

I, too, have a load of towels in. 

It was cool this morning, so I got out and got a walk to town in, and then came home, had breakfast, and loaded up all the stuff I had to take care of: getting both cars in my name only, getting Edward Jones account paperwork, house deed and abstract back into the bank, etc. 

Now to start on the phone calls to get things switched over to me.

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's going to be another "scorcher" here in Auburn, so I need to get outside soon for my morning walk.  I'm dressed and have cleaned up the kitchen, but am not ready to walk outside yet.  We're supposed to get temps in the high 90's today--Yuck!

Mary, it's good the nurse at your facility is keeping tabs on you.  I hope you get some relief soon.  This extremely hot weather is a problem for lots of us.  My AC is running full blast daily and when I do go outside I'm hit with a lot of HOT air!  We've had 2 weeks of temps over 95 during the day.  I put on a huge brimmed straw hat for my walks and it keeps some of the sun away during the walk.  I think lots of elderly people (older than I am) are suffering from the heat.  I try to get my walk finished ASAP!

Jane, I hope you're getting all your paper work finished and hope you can get Everything organized and ready for whatever you need now.  I can remember those days after Bob died.  He had things very well organized, so I was OK, but of course only in the financial sense.  Losing the love of your life is probably the most painful thing any wife has to deal with.  Thoughts and prayers continue for you as you wind up the loose ends.

Hello to Darlene, Mary, Sharon, Jane,and all Buddies looking in this morning.  Have a nice day and try to stay cool.  I need to get my shoes on and a big hat and get outside before it's unbearable out there!

Sue

JeanneP

Sitting here watching it get darker. Heavy winds and storm on it way. Doubt will be heading out today. Still high 80s. I to now have a problem with heat outdoors. I try to get walking done later after sun goes down.
I changed my estate into a trust and keep. Fogetting to pt titles name as Jeanne Pentecost trust. Attorney could handle banks etc. but I have purchased new car,CDs cemitary plot etc and forgot to pt titles in right . So now I still have to go out to state driver place and make title changes.on car and a mobile home. Did the cemitary already. Each change cost $65 .
Much as I have spent with attorney this past year trying to get things all where I can just forget it. Not happening. Still I can't understand all about estates.

Here storm comes. Pitch dark and trees bending over. Got every thing turned off. Just using iPad.
JeanneP

maryz

Sue, be careful on those walks.  The Southern heat and humidity is brutal!

Jeanne, I hope you get through the storm unscathed.  I wish we'd get some wind and rain (although not a lot).  We've had high-90s temperatures and high humidity, but no rain, except for scattered brief showers.  We never set up an estate, but it seems to work for lots of folks.  Good luck with all your paperwork.

Sharon, how's the PT going?  Any idea about discharge yet?

jane, there are always SO many minutiae to deal with.  And it seems it's always the smallest that cause the biggest headaches.  Good luck.

I'm still staying mostly in my chair - probably about 99% of the time.  Kate will get here sometime tomorrow, and I got to the doc on Thursday.

Stay cool, Buddies!

SCFSue

I'm just checking in again as I can't get the rest of my computer stuff going.  If you see this post will you please let me know that you've answered?

Thanks,
Sue

Cottoncandy

Sue your post came in ok..

JeanneP

JeanneP

SharonE

sJane, when I came on BB's, it took me to the post about the murder which was prefaced by Mary.  Scared me to death until I saw Mary's post.  Still horrible. So many people are killed in drugl-related deaths.  It sounds like you are getting a lot accomplished on your legal work, etc.  Tell me what kind of recliner you get. We are looking for a new one.  I had both OT & PT Sunday and have had OT today. I hope I get PT after lunch.  I'm still hurting a lot.

Mary, I'm so sorry you are having such trouble breathing, etc.  When is your surgery? Hang in there and stay in touch with the nurse.

Hi Darlene. I hope things are going well for you. Books are always good time fillers.

John brought Bunny to the rehab yesterday which was nice.

Sue, hope you got your walk in and enjoy reading afterwards.

My lunch just came, so I'll be bacck sometime later.  Sharon

maryz

Sharon, we had recliners all through our married life - the last ones purchased just before John died.  I ALWAYS get La-Z-Boy recliners.  There is a handle to pull up the leg rest, and there are intermediate positions (not just the full-up). They are very reliable, and (I think) reparable for free if something does go wrong. They come in all sorts of styles, some rockers and some not.

I still feel like crap, but Kate is on her way, and I'll be seeing the doctor in the morning.

Happy Wednesday to all the Buddies!

jane

Sharon...good to see you posting!

Sue, Darlene, and Jeanne...be careful in this awful heat and humidity.

Maryz...You, too, be careful, as I know you will. I'm glad Kate is coming.

Marilyn...get your carpet out yet?

I did my walk at 7:00 am...unusual for me to be up, but lately, I'm awake at 4:00 am and up by 5:00 or so. 
I now need to shower and get ready to go back to playing bridge.

I'm still working on financial stuff...and Mary, you're 100% right...it's the little stuff that is the biggest pain in the derriere.  The big stuff goes smooth as silk.  I have an appt on the 30th when I meet Joan in Dbq for lunch to go see the gal in the Trust Dept about moving over Ray's IRA and all of that.  She already has the death certificate and will have the papers ready for me.

Guess I'd better get myself into the shower..

jane

Marilyn

I was here early but lost my  post. Jane, no the carpet hasn't been removed yet. I keep getting the "Soon I promise" conversation.

This morning I will be going to my ALZ support group, this afternoon I take Keith to see the surgeon.  His hernia has come back bigger than before the hernia surgery. K is refusing to have another surgery or  hosp[ital stay so we will ask about getting a hernia belt, which I don't think he will  wear very often. However if the hernia breaks through there will  be all that  stuff pouring out in to  his gut. I  have told K that if that happens he will likely  end up a dead man.

This evening is the first night of his 55th high school reunion. Tomorrow night is the big dinner at the casino. So today is a busy day. The caregiver will come tomorrow to make sure he is clean shaven for the dinner, I will make him shower in the morning.

The heel spur is very painful and it is most of the time hard for me to  walk, but I have still taken Freckles for at least 2 per day. I am going to see if I can get in to the podiatrist next week instead of waiting until Sept 4. I do NOT look forward to any kind of surgery for the spur  which could be inevitable. K is no help all all and can't follow directions very well. He gets too confused  with the directions.

Oh the life of a caregiver. NOT!!!!

JeanneP

Jane. Now my IRA acct. It is in a Annuity where tax still will have to be paid. I was told they cannot be listed in a Trust. Nothing that is taxable can. A min. Distribution comes out of it yearly now.
JeanneP