Random Image

twins

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Joy - Very interesting that your great nephew is married to a Malaysian woman, and that they live in Qatar! I have heard that it's a very wealthy country, and that all who live there have a high standard of living.  it's the same in some of the other small Middle-Eastern countries, like Kuwait. I would like to learn more about those countries, and why some are peaceful, and others are in a constant state of war?  I know that the wealthy countries like Kuwait, have an abundance of oil, whereas the ones who are extremely poor, don't have oil, and were mostly ruled by dictators. I would like to read up on the history, and get a better idea of which is which, and why?

Mary Ann - I cannot eat first thing in the morning either.  Like you, I don't eat breakfast until after I've been up a few hours.  However, I do drink a lot of coffee.  I usually get up between 6:00 and seven, make the coffee, and while it's finishing, I drink an eight ounce glass of water, while I check my email. When the coffee is ready, I drink two cups, while reading S&F, and the newspaper.  Right now it's about 9:15, so I will start thinking about breakfast.  AJ gets up about 7:00, and eats breakfast right away, before coffee. Then he settles down with coffee and the newspaper. So, now you know what morning's are like in this household . . . such a predictable life we live! ha ha - ::)

angelface555

Good morning from a very nippy minus twenty-six Interior! My classes start back up again today, and this week I plan on going through and tossing a ton of old paperwork. It's too easy to put something so that it's out of sight and thus easily out of mind.

I spent a few hours yesterday going to a couple of malls and saw a friend who moved back here from Anchorage. Her husband is a trucker and picked up her, their groceries, and three grandsons in a very large flatbed.

I managed to finish everything on my list and one or two extra, so I'm happy. I had lunch at a Subway with the before mentioned friend and family before I went grocery shopping, so all and all a good day.

MarsGal did you see the post I left you from Euronews about the New Horizons spacecraft's pass by and photos of the rock from over four billion miles of space? That rock was debris from the very rift that formed the Milky Way and the farthest we've gone yet.

Callie that describes some of these friends of mine. And they do this more than once a week! However, all are retired, have grandkids to shop for and retired husbands who are often underfoot, so it's understandable and other than lunch they rarely buy that much. It's about socializing more than spending. It's the meandering I'm not good at.

Marilyne, and MaryAnn, plus 36 is probably not attainable here until March barring another Chinook. These next two months are usually the coldest of the year; less snow and no cloud cover to hold in any heat. This reason is one of the reasons why we value the Winter Solstice.

Each additional minute of light means less another moment of cold darkness. And each extra moment combined with the earlier ones means warmer and warmer temperatures. Only thirteen years ago, January and February meant anywhere from minus thirty to minus sixty-eight.

Marilyne, that's interesting and new to me about the moon cutouts. I don't have that many music videos selected, but I do have a full Youtube folder of the sixties, seventies and eighties variety and shows like "What's my line" from the fifties. Many of those also come in sets of five to more years you can view. I enjoy the easy looking banter between the host and guests. Clicking on the name or Googling will bring you several hits.

Beverly that is quite a trip for your daughter, and she's making memories. I know my younger sister spent several years in France and Italy and followed that with trips back and forth with friends over the years. It shaped her views and made her a chef. She hasn't been back since the late eighties but has thousands of slides.

Joy that is also a good story with your great nephew. I think all of us might be better off like him, Beverly's daughter and my sister. Sometimes we may become insular and not see the forest for the trees. Unfortunately, I am the only one of my immediate family who hasn't been overseas. I envy those who can travel.

Larry, it was our first TV, and the Sunday lineup stayed the same for many years. Back then, we were pushed out in the summer to enjoy the neighborhood and fresh air, and in the winter television was only available after the family dinner, clearing up and homework was finished and checked. Then we just had a couple of hours to indulge before bedtime.

MaryAnn, I gave up my television in 1997 after Homicide, Survivor and constant reruns. The variety shows were gone, and sensationalism was in so it was an easy choice. I was like my Mom who usually read while watching television and I often would look up from my book and be on another show from when I last surfaced. So it was an easy choice.

MaryAnne, my work schedule was either split or something like one to nine or three to eleven, including a bus route change each way, so I often had my large meal at work and a snack before bed. Now I tend to follow that same schedule of one large afternoon meal and a little snack in the evening. Last night at ten, I had a sliced red delicious apple and some Havarti cheese pieces. I do drink twelve cups of coffee each day, often finishing the pot in the late afternoon.

Mary Ann

Patricia and Marilyn, I am not a coffee drinker, either at home or eating out.  My cup of coffee in the morning is Hazelnut, not even real coffee.  When I go out to eat, other than breakfast, I get water with a lemon.  If I or we go out for breakfast, I drink decaf.  And when I go out to eat, I usually bring home half of the meal, whether it is a sandwich or a meal.  My appetite is not that great, but I have learned I don't have to clean my plate!  Since I no longer drive, my social life is almost nil.  Besides my friends have died and I am about the only one left.  A classmate told me there are 25 of our class left, out of a class of 250-255.  That's what happens when you reach your 90s.

Patricia, in 1975 I had surgery and my main meal in the hospital was early afternoon and I tried to follow that when I got home.  Today I am likely to have my main meal whenever it is convenient.  If Tom anf I go out for lunch, I eat lighter in the evening.  And when Tom is not here for supper, I'm likely to wait until 8 pm to eat.  Sometimes later.  While Tom does live with me, he is unavailable more than he is available.  He eats with friends often. 

Marilyn, I heat my coffee water in the microwave, add the powder and grab a cookie and go to my computer (laptop) and get that started while eating the cookie.  When i think the coffee is cool enough (still hot) I start drinking that, all the time reading what is in the news.  i do not take a newspaper but watch news on WOOD-TV and read the Detroit Free Press.  After that I look at the ships, hoping there will be at least one that will be in The Soo or Duluth.

So starts my morning.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - I join you in being the only one in my immediate family, who has not been overseas.  All three of my kids have been to Europe, and AJ was there for an IBM recruiting trip in the 1970's (France and England).  I have been to Canada and Mexico . . .  but only to BC and Alberta, in Canada, and Baja California in Mexico.  The farthest East I have been in the USA, is Chicago.  One of the biggest regrets I have over my lifetime, (and I have many!), is that I didn't travel overseas, and didn't visit other major cities in the US, like NYC, Washington DC, New Orleans, etc.

Patricia, television has changed dramatically since 1997.  There is such a wide variety of programming now, that you would be hard pressed to not find something to enjoy watching.  Of course I do have the full cable, so I have hundreds of things to choose from at any given time. It's costly, but worth it to us, since we spend the majority of our time at home now.

Mary Ann - My social life is pretty much non-existent now too.  Going out for lunch or dinner, and occasionally going to our son & dil's house, is just about it. We do have a few events we enjoy going to around the Holiday's.  Tomorrow, we will attend a 90th birthday party celebration, for AJ's cousin Don.  This will be a big party, so his adult children are hosting it at the Nordahl Hall, for the day and evening.  Unfortunately his wife died a few years ago, but he does have five children and lots of grandchildren, plus plenty of other cousins besides AJ, and lots of friends.   
I like this kind of outing, because it just involves sitting around and talking and eating, and watching lots of people having a good time. There will be a band - probably a polka band with an accordion! :yikes: Shades of Lawrence Welk!

MarsGal

Yes, I did see the post Patricia. I've been following the news feeds on NASA, Space.com and the various YouTube clips. Now we have the Chinese Lunar lander to follow too.

BTW: I've bookmarked these sites to read a bit later. It is almost time to make dinner.

UN space agreement: http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/spacelaw/treaties/moon-agreement.html

Lunar landing sites and artifacts statement from the Executive Office of the POTUS, Office of Science and Technology Policy: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Protecting-and-Preserving-Apollo-Program-Lunar-Landing-Sites-and-Artifacts-2.pdf

space.com article: https://www.space.com/33440-space-law.html

photos from Chang-4: https://www.space.com/42887-china-moon-far-side-landing-photos-chang-e-4.html

angelface555

Marilyne, I have never been a television watcher, I often was reading or something when I did watch and when visiting someone, if they kept their television on, I made a quick excuse to leave. I always thought that was rude, especially when they invited company.

I have so much on the computer that I can easily spend my entire day at it. I have psychology lessons, PSP lessons, and Photography lessons plus podcasts. I also have a YouTube line up of old television shows so I suppose I am watching television. I start my day off with S&F and my email. My email has daily news alerts from CNN, NBC, Washington Post and the New York Times. I also have daily emails from Euronews that is fascinating and complex. Then there are the rescued animal videos and sites

On YouTube, I have been viewing pre-WWII and afterward, news videos which not always censored. I've seen captured Nazi videos and concentration camp videos and the US, British and Canadian plus Red Army videos about landings and battling through Europe and into Germany shot by on the scene military photographers. The Nuremberg trials led to Googling names and events that many times I wish I hadn't.

Then I read about or saw videos of what the people and governments of newly freed countries did to the German POWs as well as German citizens remaining in no longer occupied territories.  It has been a lot to take in, and 99% of it never showed up in any history book I ever read especially what the Western nations did to thousands of German POWs.

My daily email also brings me recipes from favored sites and my lessons approved or not, tests scheduled or other news from my mods about my classes.  Wordsmith, a daily vocabulary site I heard about from Bubble, sends me an email on a weekly word theme email. I also receive various Amazon and Bookbub news and of course my PSP groups.

angelface555

MarsGal, and they landed on the Moon's dark side!
I will have to come back to your links as this was supposed to be a quick look in while awaiting a lesson's reload. Back later!

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I have been overseas, something I never dreamed of in my childhood.  Of course, we went to Canada several times since it is so close.  But it wasn't until after I was retired that I went to England in 1988 and Denmark and Germany in 2000.  We touched on Sweden in 2000 also.  In 1976, while still working, I went to Guatemala.  I read about Tikal and the ruins and I wanted to see them so bad that I could almost taste them!  I paid for Tom's mother's trip so I'd have someone to be with.  We both enjoyed it very much and I'm glad I went.  On a tour taken with Jim, we went to Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City and Montreal.  Another time, we did the Pacific Northwest which included British Columbia and three times we went to Sooke on Vancouver Island BC.  I don't consider myself well traveled, but even so, I am amazed at the places I've been, here in the US too.  I had never been to California until 2014 when we attended the Superwedding (his term) of my great nephew (Superwedding because they had married in May and this was for relatives).  I still have not been in Oregon and probably will not (never is not in my vocabulary).  I have been in Alaska and missed talking to or seeing Patricia because she was working when I called.  I have been across the Mississippi many times and when I was young and travel was not what it is today, my mother told me it was unusual to have been west of the river. 

I have a lot of good memories of my travels, more than pictures.

Patricia, I feel the same as you when the TV is left on when I've been invited.  My dearly departed brother was guilty of that, and he usually had the sound off, but he'd look at the screen occasionally.  I'd ask him to turn off the TV sometimes, but if I was was there during Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy, I'd watch.

Mary Ann

Beverly

A rainy day in Florida today........We could use it. We've had a long period of nice weather.

Chape gave me a "Grand-Pad" for Christmas. (I didn't even know I wanted one!  :) ) It's a lot like an I-Pad but fairly simple to use. The main reason he got it is for making video calls with the family. I talked to my daughter in New Hampshire tonight. Really a lot of fun. She can walk around the house with her phone to show me things, like the new half-bath they put in on the first floor. And I could watch the antics of her Bengal cats.

Lauri said the  dinner and breakfast she had on the plane were restaurant quality, complete with dessert and treats for later. This morning I woke up to a message from her and a picture of her having dinner in Bangkok. I am still amazed at what they do with technology!

Mary Ann - You've done more traveling than I have. My favorite place I've travelled is to Calgary, Alberta for the SeniorNet Bash. We went on a tour to Lake Louise and surroundings. Unforgettable! These days I'm happy just staying close to home.

angelface555

I finished my two PSP assignments, (Lessons #54 and #55 out of one hundred total); and posted them in the PSP folder here as well. I read your links, and saved them to Pocket;  MarsGal; but am skeptical because one, nationalism and two, this may be a portion of claimed territory by some species we have yet to become aware of.

It is the height of hubris for us to believe we are the only ones out there. However, it is exciting and far more than anyone ever thought they'd see in this lifetime.

MaryAnn, I've been to 46 states, missing only the furthest Northeast portion and traveled through Canada and out into Washington and Oregon as well as moving through and coming out through Montana.

We had more than one day trip into Mexico when my ex was stationed at Ft. Sam in San Antonio. It was a sight for a sheltered girl like me to see cops walking around casually with several ammunition bandoliers and casually cradling automatic weapons. I'm sure it is even further from that now.

My older sister has been in Italy, Germany, France, Spain, and Switzerland and my younger sister visited France and Italy and lived for a time in Florence. My mother dated a Turkish attache just before WWII and visited his home village. My father, in the Navy, was all over the Pacific and the Japanese Islands in WWII.  So I'm the only one who never really traveled except for family trips and by way of two husbands and the army, navy and air force.

Hi Beverly! I've never heard of a "Grand-Pad"! But my store manager when I was at Sears used something similar to show his boss around the store.

angelface555

I saw this in Live Science about one of the Chinese moon experiments where they left plants and worms on the moon.

https://www.livescience.com/64413-china-space-moon-plants-animals.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190104-ls

Also, " Like a bit of froth on the crest of an ocean wave, our observable universe may be nothing more than a sliver sitting within the edge of a bubble that's constantly expanding into a higher dimension.

While this mind-boggling idea might sound like something out of a physicist's fever dream, it is, in fact, a new endeavor to reconcile the mathematics of string theory with the reality of dark energy, a mysterious, all-pervading cosmic force that acts in opposition to gravity."

Farfetched?  https://www.livescience.com/64417-universe-sits-on-extradimensional-bubble.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190104-ls

shirleyn

Hi guys & gals.  So sorry I have not been in to see you all.  I have just not been feeling very chatty.  Those first two weeks of chemo was a breeze, as I have told you before.  The next couple was the direct opposite.  Not that I was in pain, I just had no strength or ambition.  Laying around mostly & when I did get up and around I had to be very careful, as I was so unsteady on my feet.  I now have three more weeks before my last treatment, so will see how these weeks will be going.  They gave me 5 days of Prednisone & that boosted me up a bit, but cannot sleep very well.  So will see what happens after these 5 days.  Hope I am not boring you with details, but it helps to get it off my mind.

My morning ritual is to start my oatmeal & while that is cooking (not the instant kind) I have a cup of coffee and do my account checking on the internet & play a couple of games to get my mind working. Then it is breakfast time & kitchen clean up & maybe a second cup of coffee.  And there you have my exciting start of the day.   :crazy2:

My travels have been mostly by cruises, as most of you know.  Mostly in the Caribbean, but one went through the Canal to California & then by train back to Florida.  Enjoyed that.  Also one cruise from Florida up the east coast and through between USA & Canada (just cannot come up with the name of that seaway) & ended up in Montreal.  Another enjoyable trip.  Never been over to Europe or Asia.  Always wanted to go to Germany (where my forebearers came from), but never made it & realize it will never happen now.  Just too old & tired to do much traveling now.

Oops, am writing one of Mary Ann's books here – got carried away.  Thanks to all who were concerned about me & I will try to write more often.

Late note - that was the St. Lawrence Seaway I was trying to think of. 

(~_~)
shirleyn.

Joy

Good Saturday morning.

I am just here to say Hi !  I have a busy day today and really need to get myself going.  I have already put the sweet and sour meatballs into the crockpot and have everything else ready to go. 

I will try to get back late this evening, after I get back home.

Did not read the back postings this morning, but will try to catch up later. Hope everyone has a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, we'll wait until you get home from your Christmas to see what you have to say.  It's kind of fun stretching out a holiday.

Shirleyn, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well now.  We had such high hopes after your first two treatments.  I've never taken a cruise.  Jim wanted to take one and I don't remember the reason we did not.  But we did take several very nice tours from coast to coast.

Patricia, I have said I was in 46 states, but I think I'm off on that.  I have not been to Oregon, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi - I guess that does make 46 states visited.  It isn't that I was in all states for a length of time, but I was in them!  You and MarsGal are more scientific minded than I am.  My dad was interested in things like that and I was so happy he was able to see the moon landing in 1969(?).  Of course, I was interested in it too.  I have not been to Mexico, but I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Guatemala.  I will say I would not like to live there.  As short as I am, those people were at least as short, if not shorter than I was.  That was in 1976 and we had to watch for pickpockets and I don't think things have changed much.

Beverly, your Grand Pad sounds like fun.  I don't even have an IPad and my cell phone is a TracFone.  I think I was in Calgary on the way to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies one year.  It was on one of my favorite trips where we started in Grand Rapids, took a train to Chicago, transferred to another train to Winnipeg and got on a CN train to Jasper National Park.  We saw those beautiful mountains and beautiful lakes (Emerald, Lake Louise), Banff National Park, Waterton, ending up at Glacier National Park in the US, then took a train from there to Chicago and another one home.  I think we were gone 10 days and I went alone on that trip.  If they didn't involve so much walking and if I had someone to go with me, I'd love to take another trip.  In fact, if Tom wanted to drive to the Soo, I'd love to see what I see on my computer.

I've showered an shampooed and I am a week overdue for a haircut.  I would have had my hair cut Tuesday, but they weren't open on New Years Day. 

Time for breakfast.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Finally we have a bright and clear sky today with no rain in the forecast.  I have another quiet day planned as still not feeling very energetic.

Mary Ann and Marilyne, I have always eaten breakfast right after I get up and dressed in the morning.  However, I remember that on the farm breakfast often occurred after the milking was done but before the other farm work of the day started.  Pat most often sleeps late in the morning so may be late with breakfast and lunch and then we eat fairly late in the evening. 

Patricia, it sounds like you got stocked up on your shopping day out. The quality of the television picture has certainly improved year by year if not the content of the programs.  I am almost always doing something on my laptop while I watch TV.  However, yesterday didn't even feel like fooling with the laptop very much so did lay back in my recliner and watch what was on the screen. 

Mary Ann, one of the things I have really missed since moving is not having a lot of friends that we can socialize with.  However, many of those would no long be able to socialize or have moved away from the area we came from.  I also realize that neither Pat nor I are up to socializing as we used to.  Time marches on and inevitable changes occur in our lives. 

Marilyne, neither Pat nor I have ever been overseas and never will be.  I have been to most States in the USA although several of them were for business trips where I didn't get to see much as I would fly in or drive to or from a motel after going to the office and coming home.  Pat and I have different tastes in TV as she likes the movies and I prefer the news, sports and the Wheel and Jeopardy.  I hope you enjoy the big party with AJ's family today. 

Beverly, I have never heard of the "Grand-Pad" but it sounds ideal for you.  Isn't it nice to get to talk to folks face to face. I just looked it up and it sounds ideal. 

Shirley, nice to see your posting and know that you are feeling stronger.  I can certainly relate to your no strength or ambition.  You certainly are not boring me as I am happy to see you feeling like sharing with us.  Years ago my wife was prescribed Prednisone and one day she came home from work at noon and went out and washed the car as she had so much energy.  Its never happened since. 

Joy, I hope you have a most enjoyable day today with your family.

Sandy

Good Morning from the cold buy dry rocky
coast of Maine.    All is well today.  I
went out and did some grocery shopping early
with Kelly.   Monday I have my appointment
with my Bone Man to see what the story is
with the shoulder that seems to get better, then
get worse, etc, etc. etc.   

I presume that it needs some help to heal
correctly and permanently  (should I be so
lucky)..

Otherwise all is well.   

ShirleyN...   best wishes to you and
all of your treatments to come.  Stay
strong and positive when at all possible.

Sandy 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Hi Shirley :hello:  Good to see you checking in this morning. Sorry that you're feeling the effects of the chemo, but that lets  you know it's doing its job!  I didn't know you had been on the Panama Canal cruise.  If I could go on a cruise now, that would be the one I would choose.  The only cruise we have been on, is to and from Hawaii.  It was a small ship - not at all like the big fancy ships of today. I loved that cruise, and remember it as being our very best vacation, over our 62 year marriage. It included a one week stay on the Hawaiian island of your choice.  Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Patricia and Mars Gal - I meant to comment on your mention yesterday, of the Chinese moon landing. After searching the net, I finally found a few references, but it was definitely not a story that was given any coverage by the US media.  If a story is not politically oriented, (left or right), unfortunately, it is barely mentioned in the 24 hour TV news cycle, or online.

I have to start getting ready for the 90th birthday party for AJ's cousin Don, so I'll come back later and write more. The party will go on all afternoon and into the evening, although we won't stay that long. It should be fun and noisy, what with the polka band! Bring on the accordions! :D

Lindancer

Good afternoon, of course raining, lucky not snow, as I have a doctors appointment this PM

Marilyne, my first time to Europe, was about 30 years ago, a group of 30 employees from the hospital went on a 3 week tour of Europe. started in London, Amsterdam,then to Germany, Austria, Swissland, Italy and ended in Paris.we got to spend abou 3 ays in each country. LOved Venice and Rome,

Sherleyn, Happy to see your post. Prays that you will soon be well. I spent a month in Germany in Dec. that is the country to bein at Christmas time. One year I spent the month of Dec. in Turkey. NOw that was different. But happy I was able to go there. Also spent a week in Iceland. 

MaryAnn In this country have been all up and down the East coast, down to Texas a few times and Indiana. Flew to Denver, drove up to Wyoming and out to Calif. Did wade in the Great Salt Lake. :)

Beverly, glad to see your post. I just have a plain old tracfone phone. I only carry it for emergencies

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Just a short but thought-provoking historical note. The first Americans into Dachau concentration camp were Japanese American, (with white officers); whose families were in internment camps back in America. A Japanese American soldier platoon was the first to see inmates and enter the camp.

Mary Ann

I had a message that I had a Personal Message and when I tried to retrieve it, I couldn't get it.  I frogged around trying to get it and when I got back to Home, there was no message.  So, if someone sent me a message and hasn't received an answer yet, e-mail me.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

MaryAnn. Maybe that was me as I was trying to reply to the one that you sent me earlier. I have never been in there before and I could not find the SEND I didn't think I was doing it right.
JeanneP

Beverly

Mary Ann - I sent you a message earlier. If you didn't get it, try again. I resent it a minute ago.

Joy

Good Sunday morning.

I just wrote a long message and hit the wrong button and lost it all.  That just happens so often, and I just don't know what I do. 

Our Family party yesterday was very nice. I think there were about 50 adults and 4 or 5 little ones.  It was at a nice community hall in a neighborhood where one of the nieces lives.  Lots of good food and nice conversations.  Saw some of the younger generation that we don't see very often.  We did do the Chinese auction that is always fun/   Always fun to see some of the reactions to gifts and then the exchange with someone for something they like better.  There was a bottle of wine that made for quite a few exchanges.  And, the little ones were excited when Santa " made an appearance on his way back to the North Pole". 

Nothing much going on today.  There is a big football game down in Baltimore with the Ravens playing in the first of the play-off games.  I am not that interested in the football games anymore since the player starting protesting "whatever".  But, I will probably watch the end to see who won.

I have been on 2 cruises.  One was a long time ago when we flew to Hawaii and took a 7 day cruise to several of the different islands.  And, then a few years ago, flew to California and took a cruise to Mexico.  Stops at Cabo San Lucas and several towns on the West coast of Mexico. It was a really nice trip.

Don't really expect to go on anymore long trips, but would like to go up to Connecticut to see a couple of my little great-grandchildren.  Went last year and it was not a bad ride at all. So, that might be doable later this year.  I have 2 more "great's" expected this coming spring.

I want to get the rest of my Christmas decorations put away today.  ANd, still have some dishes to clean up that I didn't get done yesterday.  Then, will see whatever happens. Might just work a nap in sometime later.

Have a nice Sunday.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Beverly, thanks for resending your message.  I was able to read it this time - twice!  That's quite a story and I'm glad things have turned out as well as they have.

Dot and I went to church, then to the Cholesterol Pit for our "usual". 

We are enjoying our good weather today.  Our temperature is 36 degrees, but seems warmer (for the short time we're outside) because of the sun. 

I have some sorting I want to do but I may wait until tomorrow; I hate to do work on Sunday, but I don't do much work on any day!  Tom was waiting when I got home and eating delicious left-overs from his meal at Mary's last evening - ribs.  He got home from his church before I got home.  Dot and I got to talking about Trusts.  She has none and feels her arrangements cover everything so doesn't feel my suggestion about a Trust is necessary.  I feel I am right and she feels she is right, so I'll let it be.

Joy, I'll bet it was a good day yesterday for you, seeing so many of your family.  That was a big group.  I doubt we could get 50 people of our family together.

Jeanne, thanks, but the message was from Beverly and I was able to get to it today (also its replacement).  I could tell you were able to get your picture to Bubble.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good late morning from a cold Interior! Presently we are at thirty below with a due evening low of minus thirty-four. The skies have cleared, and warmth has fled, and the aurora is flaming across the skies.

This is January, and while it used to be normal for us, it's no longer standard, and people are complaining about the State's taking away our temperature controls. Our temperatures were set at seventy however I'll bet the ones who decreed that setting have their own homes more comfortable! With the air coming in, that temperature set at seventy moves down to about 66 or 67.

We've initiated a mass maintenance call in, emphasizing costs as it takes minutes for the hot water faucet to go running from freezing cold to hot. People are also running space heaters which are both high on electrical costs and dangerous with elderly users.

There was a letter sent out about not using ovens to heat apartments, but you have to weigh safety and costs versus tenant comfort. My issue is the cold air coming from around my glass balcony doors. The hallways are arctic.

The only cruise I've been on was twice through Alaska's Inland passage, visiting both Southeast Alaska Ports along with a few British Columbian ones. On each voyage, we saw whales, otters, other sea life and grizzlies and Dall sheep on the shore and cliffs. We saw glaciers calving and seagoing kayaks.

Mary Ann

Patricia, when you say "cold Interior", you really mean "cold Interiors", don't you?  It was cold here this morning - 22 degrees at 7:45 am - but that's what happens when the sky is so clear.  It is 35 degrees now with the sun shining brightly and we have the front door open and the storm door latched. 

I just woke up from a 1-hour nap but I stayed on the bed for another hour and I probably slept more.  I can't say I'm refreshed because I know I'm not awake yet.  I will be ready for evening, however.

Patricia, I remember on our trip to Alaska that on a boat trip out of Valdez we saw orca and sea otters.  People were disappointed that during the entire trip, we did not see one bear of any kind but we did see a mother moose and her baby.  Jim took a helicopter ride in hopes of seeing Denali but it was too overcast.  He did see some Dall sheep.  We did see glaciers and were able to hold some "raw" glacier (that's not the right word, but it was clear and old) and also saw blue glacier.  I never did get the name of the glacier by Valdez.  A memorable trip, one I'll not forget.  I loved it.

Grand Haven is smooth as glass and I saw people on both piers and a man walking his dog along shore.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

The Out To Lunch Bunch almost closed down the restaurant because we had so much to talk about.  ;)  Didn't get all the problems solved but we tried.

Mary Ann, Trusts do not have to be probated in Oklahoma - which sure simplifies things for the heirs. I've had one for years and each son has just established his own.

I spent yesterday afternoon sorting out receipts, statements, etc. in my accordion file.  It's divided by months and I got everything sorted into "categories".  Then stuck those in the various slots of the file and intend to start working on those......'eventually".
Will definitely do whatever's in the January/February slots because I'm beginning to get things that need to be put in those two for 2019.

The only cruise I've been on was from Seattle WA to Skagway AK and was combined with a land tour.
We stopped in Ketchikan and Juneau on the way.  Travel buddy and I took a side trip to the Mendenhall glacier from Juneau but explored Ketchikan and Skagway on our own. The cruise ship did pull into Tracey Arm where we saw calving from the Sawyer glacier.
I didn't care for "on ship" activities and have had no desire to do another cruise.

Family went on what I call a "generic tour of Europe" (where you see everything you're "supposed to see" in case you never get to go back") in 1985.  I doubt I would have ever been able to go again if I hadn't begun traveling a couple of years after my husband died. 

Then I went on more concentrated tours to The British Isles, Greece, central Italy and the Loire/Dordogne River areas of France. All but the Italy tour were "escorted" by college professors and I loved having "in-depth" experiences instead of stops that only gave you time to eat (in some place that had set menus for tourists - not in "local" cafes or restaurants) or shop.

Also traveled around the USA - including taking my 3 grandchildren to an Intergenerational Elderhostel the summer after each one's 9th birthday.  Those were special times that they still talk about.

Larry, I hope that you - and any others who aren't feeling 100% - improve quickly.

Off to tackle those first two accordion file slots.

CUL8R

Mary Ann

In case anyone is interested and/or concerned, Larry posted in Soda Shoppe and is not feeling well and is not going to church this morning.  It was a short message and he did not respond to any posts.  He expects to be up and "attem" soon

Mary Ann