Random Image

Lesson 22

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Ptricia...
...yes we do have independent living, and senior communities for the over 65s ( there is always a specified minimum age ) something I have been looking up about, might be an option for me, I need to be around like minded people, a friendly community, maybe with things going on, the boredom here is endless, I had always said to Richard " ths is not a friendly or close knit community " people have their own lives, you will hardly see anyone, and everyone has a car...some couples have a car each...their are a handful of people who live by themselves but they too have a car...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Joan, I'll tell you when I was 86, I did not expect to reach 95.  As long as I feel OK, I'll look forward to the next year.  I mentioned previously that the PA I saw yesterday told me to come back in a year.  It made my day.

Mail that afternoon kind of undid the good news from the doctor.  My credit union has changed credit card vendors and I had the balance at zero.  One of my genealogy programs renewed my account without telling me and charged the amount to the old credit card.  I didn't check the notice when it came because I was sure I had the zero balance so the snail mail Tuesday brought a past due bill plus a late fee and interest.  I have tried to get to my credit union account and it is both blocked and locked.  I just talked to a woman there who told me how to reset things but the program has other plans.  Again I am both blocked and locked.  By blocked, I mean I can't put in the information needed.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

Marilyn, at my age, I would not attempt a bi-level house.  It's easy to say to move, but housing now, after having owned the house for years, is more expensive and at our ages we don't want to take on a mortgage.  Things don't always get easier as we age.  I've probably written that I have two bedrooms, bath, kitchen, living/dining on the first floor.  The lower level is a walkout and there is the family room, one bedroom (Tom's), furnace/laundry, shower bath, storage room.  When I was more able, I'd fix my lunch on a tray and go to the patio outside the family room.  I have a few flowers beside the patio.  Now I do not navigate the steps to go down.  The cat and I sit on the deck (over the patio) now.  Last year I bought some deck furniture and it makes the deck look more inviting and Kendrick and I like it out there.  In late afternoon I cannot use the deck because the late afternoon sun is too warm.

Patricia, I like the sound of your building.  You have 850 sq ft and I have just under 900 sq ft on each floor.  I don't have the several amenities you have but I do have Tom who takes good care of me.  I worry about him because his health is not good and I don't want anything to happen to him before I leave this world. 

MarsGal, I enjoyed my trip around the Bodo port.  My grandmother had a friend from Trondheim who visited us many times before and after grandmother died and now the friend has died too; she lived in Grantsburg, Wisconsin.

I think I've talked enough and I may take a nap.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

MaryAnn...
...that is the way i thought it would go, me leave this world before Richard leaves it...

Mary Ann

Jackie, things don't always work out the way we want them to, do they?

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mary Ann, I just don't want to.  :)

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I didn't realize your condo was so big!  Three bedrooms, and a separate family room, sounds very spacious.  All of the condos that I've been in around here, are two beds, two baths, a living room and a kitchen, with room for a table.  Usually there is either a deck or a patio, but never both.

Today I spent about an hour at Safeway, shopping for enough food to last us over the weekend. I'm not, and never have been, good about menu planning in advance. Also, I don't make lists.  I just wheel the cart around the store, and buy whatever looks good to me at the moment.  Then we seem to eat everything very quickly, and suddenly, back to square-one again!  Well today I did buy more than usual, so I'm really pleased with myself for once! ha ha!

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I do not consider my condo big - it is a walkout, so rooms on two floors.  There are the usual two bedrooms, bath, kitchen and living/dining area on the first floor plus the deck.  I use the second bedroom as my computer room so it is impossible to have guests.  Tom's bedroom is in the lower level with the family room, shower bath, furnace/laundry room and storage room and patio.  The area is 871 sq ft on the first floor and I don't know how much is considered living area on the lower level.  I have an inside unit that is 25 feet wide and 33 feet long.  As such, no room for expansion, even if we could.  I would like more floor space but I'm not going to get it without moving and I'm not about to do that! 

When I shopped by myself, I usually had a list but "impulse shopped" as I went along.  Now we have a service where we can shop online and I refer to previous purchases when I choose items.  If I want a particular item, I ask in a box and I am taken to that area, but we don't do any "impulse shopping" that way.  We have some pretty heft grocery bills but Tom doesn't pick up the order the same day each time - it could be a week, 10 days or more.  We don't run out of food, but we do run out of snack stuff.

More than you wanted to know -

Mary Ann

Beverly

Good evening. Some very interesting posts today. I enjoy reading about your everday lives.

I had an appointment with the dermatologist today. They did biopsies on two small skin cancers. Not my favorite way to spend the day!  :)

It was another hot day but I don't mind. We get used to living with air-conditioning in summer. When I lived up north we had the heat on 6 to 7 months a year. Sometimes weeks went by with no sunshine!

Our house is built for retirement.....Open living room, dining area and kitchen in the center, and three bedrooms, master bed and bath on one end and two bedrooms and bath on the other. We use one bedroom for a computer room. There is just a small step down at the entrance and to the lanai so there are no stairs to deal with. I would hate to have to move again. We've been here for 17 years. Before that we moved many times around the country because of Chape's job.

Larry - You ARE lucky to have Scott living close enough to help get a comfortable room set up. It was a good move when you and Pat decided to move closer to him.

Marilyne - I eat a couple of tablespoons of sauerkraut. Some people eat up to a half cup. I don't like it that much! ;)

Mary Ann - Good luck with your credit union mix-up. If you have been with them awhile maybe they'll drop the late charge?

Denver

Sadly this has not been a good day.  I could not get in touch with my dad, so felt there might be something wrong.  Diane, dad's lady friend eventually called to tell me that she was out getting her hair done and when she returned dad was on the floor in front of his chair.  He does not know how he got there.  Paramedics came and picked him up and put him in his chair.  A bit later he tried to get up to go to the bathroom and found he can not stand at all, so paramedics came again and took him to the hospital  They did admit him to the hospital.  He has been taken for X-rays......CT scan of his head.....hip and knee X-rays.  They took three cultures....due to his temperature that spiked to 102.5.  They did load him up with morphine before they took him to X-ray as he was complaining of pain.  So hard to be this far away😢😢

I found out tonight that Dave and Michele have hired a girl that just graduated from high school to help out with the children on chemo weeks.  This will sure help them out to know that they have extra coverage.  Michele has been better this week with the week off from chemo and the steroids she was given for the awful acne she has on her face and head. 

We also found out that our California Son has been offered and has accepted a new job opportunity that will require a move.  He is very happy with the offer and knows that this job will be a good one for his career.  He and his wife are very sad to be leaving Paso Robles, but feel the new location in the Sacramento Area will be a all around better place to live. 

I do hope it was a good day and you all will sleep well. 

EDIT.....DIANE just called and they have moved my dad by ambulance to a different hospital that has a trauma and neurological department as they found he has a brain bleed....they will repeat the CT scan tomorrow morning.  I do not know if I should get down there or not....I feel so helpless. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...maybe not for me to say but...I would go if it is possible for you to go, I would just hate for you to live with regrets, if the worst came to its worst...

larryhanna

Hi Everyone on another warm day but not suppose to be above 99 today.  Am I a lucky guy or what.  I am surrounded by my family, good and loving friends here in our cyber family, a wonderful Church family, this wonderful Hospice and I could go on and on.  Yesterday the aid was here in the morning to help me with my bath and will be back Tuesdays and Thursdays in the future.  She brought all the supplies I had requested.  Yesterday afternoon an substitue nurse was here and went over my medicines, ordered another one and spent a lot of time answering some questions I had written down, then a visiting volunteer stopped in to visit with me and we had a great times while I was laying down.  Finally I had asked if I could get a different mattress and the one they had given me was so warn there was sort of a hole to sit in and made it hard to move.  They had a new mattress and the pad that inflates and deflates t prevent bedsores as they discovered there were many small holes in it and it wasn't working as needed and that I was using too many covers over it as suppose to just use a sheet as the lower covering.  As he left I laid down on it as was exhausted and realized it felt so a and I was so tired that I let Pat know I would eat my dinner here in bed as didn't want to get up.  I had have to do so a little later and Scott and Elizabeth had to move everything over and the little tables out to get the 64 by 64 rug down and then move the computer desk into this bedroom.  When he went to hook the computer back up found the computer, although a pretty expensive had not come with wi-fi and will have to pick up a wi-fi card to use with it before it will work as must use wireless for everything hooked up in here.  I had my lovely new iPad and the special keyboard that I am using to write this today and really using my bedside table that slides under the bed and adjusts along with the bed back going up pretty straight and that is working well. Other than tacking up the oxygen lines to get oxygen to my easy chair and fixing it so it will allow no way to trip over it, which will not really be a hard job that will be done later today I think about everything else will be a matter of little twicks as we go along and nothing hard.  I could probably go on and on but enough of this for today.  I did discover this morning that the automatic adjusting pad had gotten turned off last evening and perhaps was the reason for me getting only a few hours of sleep last night and getting a very early start today. It is turned back on after I discovered the problem and now laying here to work.  Speed is no concern to me and so what if it takes me significant time to get from room to room or to write a posting.  

Mary Ann, I also feel fairly safe if I can get hold of a door jamb or the arm of my medical equipment and counters.  Fortunately we have the little alcoves off the main hall with the bedroom straight ahead, the bathroom to the right and a nice linen closet to the left.  While I don't have much energy in my arms and tire very easily I can grab the jambs and help pull my wheelchair over a little wooden strip that is between the hard wood in the alcove and the builders grade carpet in the bedroom.  I tell everyone I am still using my learner's permit to learn to use the wheelchair but each day master it a little more.  We each find out what works for us.  You know my nagging is just suggestions because I care so much about you and all our friends here.  

Marilyne,  I have another suggestion for you and Aj.  That is to look into getting a stair lift installed.  That was something we did almost immediately when we moved to this house and had considered it while Stacey was still at home at our other place.  I can't remember what we paid for the lift to our fourth bedroom up stair and the attic but think it was in the three thousand dollar range and this was a new unit. You also buy used ones if available for quite a discount and the company that sells the lifts will install.  So many people wait until they have had a fall or become unable to do the stairs and think they have to sell the homes they have because of the stairs.  That isn't true.  We bought the Bruno brand, which the dealer that also sold other brands like the Alcon that is often advertised because he said they had the least problem with the Bruno.  They have battery backup in case of electrical outage so you don't get stuck on the wrong level.  We had the power seat that turns at the head of the stairs added to our package for around $400,  Later my best friend had one installed in their home and just stayed with the seat that revolves at the head of the stairs by grabbing a little bar under the seat and it revolves out at the head of the stairs very easily.  Had I know that is what I would have done. 

Jenny, I wasn't sure when I read about the fall your dad had experienced whether you were speaking of a new fall or the past one but now see it was a new and very bad fall.  It sound like he is getting good medical attention.  With Dave and Michelle hiring help for the children to help with the kids I hope that takes some of the strain off of you and hubby and perhaps will free you to get down to see your Dad at this time.  At least you have some options you probably didn't feel you had because of Dave and Michelle's situation.  

Folks, I have not tried to answer all of the postings from you as I am using the iPad and haven't mastered getting back to read a message and then to the typing box even using two tabs it is still hard.  Maybe by tomorrow I will have access again to my big computer.  I have a laptop but have tried to do a clean install on it but as has Scott so we are thinking the hard disk is failing so will likely get a new hard disk right away and then the laptop will be available to me for using, which is like my big computer and it will make posting much easier.

Joy

Good morning.  I did not get in here yesterday. I had to go for a couple x-rays in the morning, and wound up being there for 3 hours. Most of that time, except for about 20 min. for the x-rays, was waiting and waiting. They do not take appointments for just an x-ray, and it was extra busy, and the just work the ones in between the ones that do have appointments.

WHenI got home, I had a late lunch and started watching a movie and wound up falling asleep and didn't wake up until 6 p.m. I was late getting down to play cards, but I called one of the ladies and told them I would be a little late. Turned out that we lost, anyway.

I just wanted to say Good morning to all the friends here.  I just skimmed over the recent postings, as I still need to get some breakfast. 

I hope everyone will have a pleasant day and hope everyone is feeling pretty good this morning, It seems we all have different kinds of problems.  But, hope everyone will stay strong and handle the day, however it turns out.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Dot and I are going to another funeral this morning.  I have read the posts but I'll reread them when I get back and try to respond to some of them. 

Anyway, I am up, dressed and almost ready to go - last minute things, you know.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone
from the warm (but not too warm) and
sunny/partially overcast rocky
coast of Maine.   

Nice day,  nice weather...

I am in the process of doing my
spring house keeping... organizing and
throwing away "stuff" that I  no
longer need.   

Again I am on that slow (for me)
journey to loose weight.   

It is a matter of me just realizing and
remembering that I always must watch
what I put in my mouth to eat..  and if
I stick to intermittent fasting along
with Weight Watchers,  I can and do loose
weight.. 

I will eventually get to where I would
like to be  (minus another 50 pounds)
and even still,  I will need to be
very careful or I will gain it all back.

Such is life,  and certainly my issues
are small an rather unimportant
considering all of the other difficulties
that some here are having and dealing with. 

Have a better day,  Everyone. 
Sandy

Jenny ...  do what YOU need to do, before
all this anxiety and worry makes you
sick also...   Take care .. I am so
sorry that many people in your family are
suffering so much.   

HUGS   
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Jenny - I'm so sorry to hear that your dad has had another serious fall.  This one sounds especially life threatening, because of the brain bleed.  Yes, it would probably be best to go to see him as soon as possible.  A similar situation happened with my dad, at the end, and I was so glad that I got down to the hospital in time. 

What a good idea, for Michele and Dave to get a young girl to help with the kids, now that Summer is here.  Although I know that you and Bob will continue to be there when needed, it will be a huge help for the family, to have someone else that can step in when Michele is struggling with the bad effects from chemotherapy.   

Sorry that your California son, and family,  will be leaving Paso Robles, as I consider it to be a nice little "old fashioned" small town, and a great place to raise a family.  However, the Sacramento area is also nice, and there are lots of lovely small communities that surround the city..  Although no ocean nearby,  there are many gorgeous places to visit in the nearby High Sierra mountains.  Lake Tahoe is not far from Sacto, and is considered to be one of the most beautiful lakes in the world.  We used to vacation there every summer for many years, and I have nothing but fond memories.  Yosemite is close too, as are the many small towns in what is called "Gold Country". I do think they will like the general area, and I'll be interested to hear where they end up living.

Larry - Thank you for your chair-lift suggestion. We have considered it, and you are right, that the cost is not as high as one would think. It's more expensive here in CA, just because everything is, but is still doable.  I don't know that we'll do it now, so late in the game!  Something we should have done many, many years ago.

Hello to Mary Ann, Sandy, Jackie and Joy!  I'll get back later, and write some more.  Right now I must have another cup of coffee, and then some breakfast.

Vanilla-Jackie

I am mentally in a total mess...what does one do when you live miles away and your almost 50 year old daughter says " goodbye mom " as she is slurring her speech due to drink and depression as she says she is ending her life, she is saying this to me over the phone very faintly...I have phoned her local police who is sending someone round to check on her...I told the police over the phone that I have MS, live in Dorset and not long lost and buried my partner, I was breaking down as I told her I cant cope with any more...If she does, I wont cope with being the last person who spoke to her..
I honestly thought that after 35 years she would have matured but she hasn't, she is the same as she was then...

Mary Ann

I am back from the funeral, which was nice as far as funerals go.  One son gave some remembrances and it was humorous.  Both of his parents were classmates of mine. 

Jackie, what a burden to bear.  I hope the police got to your daughter in time. 

Marilyn, I wondered, seeing you have a bi-level house, how a chair lift would work but I know the lifts can accommodate all lengths. 

A cousin's daughter just relocated from Madison WI to Stockton CA which I think is near Sacramento.  She has a daughter living there and I think her son, who is now in Belgium, is going to return to the States and would move there, too.

Jenny, I am sorry to hear about your father and his fall.  I think I would opt to go to see him as Michele has help from the rest of your family.  It is too bad you cannot clone yourself, but as yet that is impossible.  I think your dad and Diane need your company.  Your dad's injury is serious.

Sandy, I know your will power is greater than mine.  I do try to keep my weight within a five pound space.  It's on the high side now, but not at its highest.  Since I did not have lunch at the funeral, I have to see what is available here.  I know there is a piece of chicken in the refrigerator and I'll probably slice that onto half a slice of bread and cover it with the other half slice.  That really will stick with me until supper time and I'll have to see what I want to eat then.

Joy, I would think the place would make appointments for x-rays, but I can't think of a separate appointment for x-rays; I've always had them in conjunction with a visit to the hospital for some reason or other.

Larry, at the rate you are going with your learner's permit, you will qualify for your full license soon.  This condo has a bath between the two bedrooms upstairs and a bath at the end of a hall that starts at Tom's bedroom in the lower level.  We are limited to a maximum of three people in the condos IF there is the third bedroom in the lower level.  With only the two bedrooms on the first floor, there would be a limit of two people.

Hi Beverly, I am sure I would not want to spend a day having skin cancers checked.  Since 2005 I have had two skin cancers removed - one from an eyebrow and the other under the eye on the other side of my face.  The doctor did a good job in both cases as you cannot see a thing.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

MaryAnn...
...all I am getting now from her is telephone abuse, crying and bringing up something from 40-45 years ago, something I am being blamed for...She is phoning and phoning, the phone is not stopping ringing and if I answer and she doesn't like something I say, she puts the phone down on me, then rings back when it suits her....She is making me so so angry, she just doesn't care that I am a mess myself that I have just buried my Richard, she doesn't care about anyone but herself...She is literately driving me mad, the phone is constantly ringing now as I type then as soon as it stops she rings again, one after the other...I am a wreck at the moment...Now you know why I moved so far away and never let her know my phone number, I knew she would cause me some trouble once she starts drinking again...Then she wonders why her so called friends have abandoned her, she has treated them the same, or so daughter has told me in the past..she drives everybody away...
Oh she phoned me after the 4 police had gone, told me that was embarrassing, well what is a mother supposed to do who is 140 so miles away when over the phone she tells me she is ending her life and says goodbye to me......She had previously been begging me over the phone to go to her, said she needs me, well no car, MS, stuck out in the middle of nowhere, 4 busy motorways..what does she think she can snap her fingers and I will go to her? I just cant believe she is still such a problem at age almost 50...The phone is still ringing one after the other...
Even hers sons partner-girlfriend has fallen out with her so she doesn't get to see her grandson now...although my grandson pops round on occasion to see her, but he works...

I never thought today would turn out like it has...I started off with my paperwork-Richards papers, bills, fresh post, solicitor business, and tried to sort out matter...

When I got up this morning 6.am, turned on my computer a message came up telling me I had been temporarily suspended as the BT bill hadn't been paid, I couldn't get into the web...I was ok with the tv and telephone ( package ) but not the computer so I had to make a phone call, clear the hefty bill up that is now transferred to my name, then set up a regular monthly payment...Oh this was not Richards fault, he sorted all the bills and they got paid on time and were regular, he took over everything it was just me passing all bills over to the solicitor, well now I am in more of a better situation to take over some the bills myself...

Vanilla-Jackie

MaryAnn...
...another funeral? that is two you have been to in as many weeks...

I have been blessed that I have found a forum for bereaved members and I am surprised and sad at how many lost their partner-hubby-wife around the same time I lost my Richard...we all comfort each other and we are all going through bereavement...Many have-had been married for quite some years...This forum is a much needed charity...the Sue Ryder charity...( palliative- bereavement support ) I have been getting some comfort from it...although still going through the bereavement-loss-the emptiness process, and how this is affecting us every day......

Sandy

Click below  see why we allow people
to treat us badly and how to stop it.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/marisa-demarco/2015/03/why-do-we-allow-people-to-treat-us-badly-heres-how-to-break-the-cycle/

If something or someone is making us unhappy or afraid, we can choose to seek refuge and disassociate.

I am in charge of my phone,
 so if someone was harassing me, 
I would   take the phone off
the hook.  (My opinion only. )

I am sorry that you are in such pain, Jackie.
Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

I have been tempted to pull the plug out but I wouldn't know how to set it up again, the menu...Everytime someone phones even if they dont leave a message this phone just continually beeps and beeps, it is a real pain and whatever buttons I seem to press I find it hard to delete messages, even if one button works to do it one time, this button doesn't work when I do it again, been so tempted to buy a new phone...but I am no good at doing set-ups...All is peaceful at the moment...and to think, all this happened just when I was about to eat my microwavable weight watcher meal, I had even made another mug of tea that was sitting on the coffee table getting cold...

Vanilla-Jackie

I have just been into Richards bedroom, started crying-talking to him,  telling him I wish you was here, its been a tough day, what with Vivienne calling and causing me trouble...I just wish he was here...I really dont know how I am going to cope alone without him...the home is so empty, so lonely..

Mary Ann

Jackie, none of us here can help you because we are so far away.

You had a recent contact from a church; I wonder if you contact them again and ask for their help in getting you into a home in your present location.  I know several of us thought it would be better if you were back where you came from, but with your daughter, that seems not to be the thing to do - at least not now.  There must be a place that you can afford, a place with people, a lawn so you could be outside, near medical facilities for your MS and other things you need.  You would get help in getting another phone number if that would be what you need or want.  Just take things slow.  Accept help from others. 

This is just a suggestion and others may have other ideas.  Of course, you can vent your anger by telling us about it.  You'd get it out of your system and we'd listen to you.

I've never been in your situation so my idea and $2 will buy you a cup of coffee or tea.  I doubt many others have been in your situation either.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

MaryAnn...
..." you have hit the nail on the head, as my late father often would say," yes, I would seriously have to think as to whether I head back towards home..I cant really think too far ahead well not until all this solicitor business is done and dusted..in some ways I would like to get back, after all that is the place I call home...I could then maybe go pay my respects to Richard at the local to him crematorium, I have given his sister permission to have his ashes sent home, thats where Richard belongs...also go pay my respects and go to my parents cemetery although that is near to where Vivienne is...I really dont know what my future will hold, whether I can manage to stay here where I am now living, I very much doubt it but "one never knows what is waiting around that next corner," another of my late fathers expressions...At the moment I dont even know what I want to do...the only thing I do know is that I dont want to be lonely, I need company, conversion and laughter, well sometime in the future this will be what I am wanting and needing..there is no chance of getting that here from this site..

Vanilla-Jackie

Stress exacerbates our MS, that is a fact...well my daughter put me through enough today...I am now going to bed, turned 11.pm, going to read from my bible until I am ready to turn the table lamp off ( The New Testament ) as I have been doing these past several weeks...

CallieOK

Jackie,  Many times, in situations like yours,people just don't know how to follow up after the initial contact.

it may be that the people who contacted you right after Richard died are waiting for you to indicate you're ready to accept their offers to help you .  Same may be true for individuals who reached out.  Could you find a way to contact them and say something like, "I remember how kind you were when my partner died and, now that things have settled a bit, I would like to ....(whatever they offered). Since I have no transportation, how could I arrange that?"

Your post while I was typing indicated it's bedtime for you.  I hope you sleep well and awake with good thoughts about the day ahead.  I find it helps to say aloud  "This is the day the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it".

Lovingly,  Callie in Oklahoma

wjoan

Been going crazy with no way to listen to my books and there is not much else I can do.  GOOD news is that I noticed I have a bit of sight returning to my right eye so tried Solitaire again.  Guess Waht?  I can now see the card well enough to play.  SLOW as can be but at lease it gives me something to do.  I am delighted.  Had to share this with you all.

Marilyne

Joan - That's pretty amazing, that your sight has improved so much that you can now play solitaire again!  Have you seen your eye doctor?  I'm sure that he/she will be able to tell you why this happened, and if the other eye will improve also?  I hope so! :thumbup: 

Vanilla-Jackie

Here I am up and about 5.45 am to start anther lonely day, already been in Richards bedroom, sat on the end of his bed and told him about the day I had yesterday with Vivienne and telling him I will not allow her to cause my MS to get worse, as I cried, I told Richard she is horrible...What saddens me now is that we both agreed on us moving forwards, putting the past behind, she had been off the drink and phoned to check up on me every day after the funeral, now because her lodger had left, she is short of money, had no food in the house, just her life as it is, even her friends, her son, but she can find money for drink, I even posted her some supermarket vouchers, not much but enough to buy her a loaf of bread, butter, meat sandwich fillings to tie her over for a few days, these were supermarket vouchers me and Richard had won from my disabled society bingo evening, no good to me as I cant get to a store and although this is the supermarket who I get to home deliver shopping to me, we are so out of the way that there are only a couple of superstores that will deliver to us, I wouldn't be able to use them online...Yesterday it felt like the clock had gone back 35 or so years and I was back home in my 30s, my daughter a teenager again, literately nothing has changed, daughter is no different now than she was then, she is still so messed up, I would have thought now she is coming up to 50, and a grandma, she would have matured but she hasn't, even her sons partner there is some kind of rift and will not allow my daughter to see her son, my great grand son, my daughters grand son...I cant take another day like yesterday, I have my health to look after which I have an illness that is only going to get worse over time, no cure for it, and stress will only exacerbate and bring on its worst...I have no one looking after me, no medics, no drugs available for Primary Progressive MS, well not in the UK there isnt...
If my daughter carries on her life like this she is going to push everyone away from her...
Why would any daughter act like this to her mother when she is going through bereavement-loss of her longtime partner without a care for her mothers welfare or health and only thinking of her own problems that they are more important..

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Lots of progress being made here fixing things up just the way I want them here in my bedroom. My big computer is all set up and working.  Scott had picked up the wireless adapter needed for this computer as it had some without wireless installed. In the meantime I remembered that I had several of the wireless adapters and he immediately found the little plastic bag I had stored them in and he had my desk computer up and running in a couple of minutes.  This is what I am using the this morning after spending time cleaning out a drawer in my computer desk I haven't been able to use for years as had another wing of my desk up against it.  That little wing will now become my secondary computer desk so on sunny mornings, if I want to I can go to my old office, where I have shelves and plastic drawers, etc and they will now be available.

It is very nice to take things at a snails pace as find I often have to stop what I am doing, whether moving around in my wheelchair or doing little odd jobs that I can handle, and just rest for a few minutes until some of my stamina is restored.  I didn't sleep very well or very long last night but discovered two things.  The first was that I had the little mattress cover that changes pressures all the time set way to high and thus was having great difficulty moving in bed.  The second one was I was cold and when I put on my new, very warm bathrobe I became more comfortable.  I also turned down the ceiling fan that is right over my hospital bed.  I think these little twinks will help me get a better nights sleep.  I did get up at 4 am again this morning but Pat and I enjoyed a very quiet and restful afternoon after Scott was here for a couple of hours working on more things but had to leave to get ready for work.  Elizabeth emailed me saying she wouldn't be out as needed to spend a couple of days working on her college online course so that freed up the rest of the day.  I laid down to rest and asked Pat to just fix me a light supper and I ate it in bed while she joined me and we watched Wheel and Jeopardy together.  Thus we spent some time together.  My plan for today is to get started on my 35 point list, most of which involves doing things at the computer and this will be probably a spend money day and check on day, although Saturday and Sunday has limitations but most online sites are responsive 24/7.  I intend to just take things quietly and not push as we have been and hopefully no visitors today (don't mean any disrespect but the last few days have just been very hectic.  Enough rambling for this morning and while doing so I have had a chance to sort of rest. 

Yesterday I made a decision and Pat agrees that it is time to find someone to do the ironing for her.  With her back she can only do one or two blouses at a time.  We already have a lead on someone that Scott works with and has known her a long time and it is possible Elizabeth would like to earn some extra spending money, although we will likely go with the lady Scott works with if she is interested. 

Marilyn, I am probably too late this morning for you to see this before your big flight.  Once again I sure hope you have a great time and you can Keith can enjoy a change of pace.

Ellie, I have nothing to complain about in all of this.  I am going to have the best setup with my big computer here in my new bedroom and am enjoying sorting through things.  While I didn't get a lot of sleep again last night I learned things as I indicated above and can lay down and rest anytime I want.  One of the joys I really appreciated this morning was Pat had fixed me a nice bowl of fruit, cut a cinnamon raisin English Muffin in half ready to be heated.  So I had the first breakfast I have really enjoyed for a long time as I rediscover how good normal food tastes again.  I was told to eat and do whatever I wanted.  So the energy drink went right back into the refrigerator and the energy bar right back into the basket where we have been keeping them and I had a breakfast I enjoyed.

Mary Ann, it does seem that funerals come in bunches for us.  My friend that was killed on his bike has his funeral this morning and our Sunday School class is serving as honorary pallbearers and our class is furnishing the meal for the family and friends after the service.  Sorry I am not up to attending and even had friends offer to come and try to help Pat and I go.  I had to decline as just don't have the energy for something like that although I am feeling the return of a little energy as long as I rest after a little exertion.  I just stop what I am doing and rest for a minute or two or as much time as needed.  Another advantage of being able to do exactly what I want to do. 

Sandy, it sounds like you are having the type of weather many people would like to have right now.  Hopefully these storm fronts and very hot days in locations will now a little back to normal although a lot of people with destroyed homes and flooded conditions have a long way to go. I am also going through a lot of things and will be trashing a lot of papers and clearing out little drawers. My nurse told me I no longer needed a scale and forget about weight.  Old habits are hard to break but will now limit my weighing to after my twice a week showers. 

Marilyne, I have only been to Sacramento a couple of times on business many years ago but remember it being a pretty place.  I have never been to Paso Robles.  We never know when God will decide to take us home.  Personally I hope to live quite awhile yet as getting everything in such nice shape but I have been living everyday in anticipation of that day I get to meet my Lord or whatever is in store when that time comes.  In the meantime I am going to enjoy everyday as much as possible and not worry a whit about something I can have no control over.  I am very concerned about possible falls for my friends and anything we can do to protect ourselves from falling is sure worthwhile, at least investigating. 

Jackie, your daughter has put you in a bad place.  However, keep in mind that she is an adult and there is really nothing you can or should try to do.  This was one of the lessons I got from my many years in Al-Anon and when my daughter died I knew she had lived the way she wanted to. Your daughter is abusing you but remember she is operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs. You don't have to let her abuse you as you can hang up and turn off your phone.  I am not saying any of this is easy but we must first take care of ourselves. Remember that alcoholics under the influence is probably lying to get what she wants as often if the lips are moving they are lying and if sober probably wouldn't remember what she has said.  You waste your breath and sanity to argue with someone who is drunk.  If something happens to her knowing about it tomorrow (someone would let you know probably your grandson) since there is nothing you can do today.  I know what I am saying sounds heartless and cold but I have lived through this and believe every word I have written.  Remember your friends here love you.  Here is a big HUG from me.  None of us know what the future holds for us and that is why it is important to stay in today.  Things will all work out and not everything has to be done in a flash, although I am certainly not a patient person.  Glad to see you are reading from your Bible as that is a great way to end any day. I am glad to read that you have come to the conclusion that your first priority must be maintaining your health as best you can.  Remember we cannot help someone who isn't willing to help themselves.  Your daughter acts as she does because she has the disease of alcoholism and you as a family member are also sick form alcoholism as well.  They really think of no one but themselves.  

Sandy, I can see you and I see things pretty much the same. 

Joan, glad you can now enjoy playing Solitaire again.  I sure hope the eye situation continues to improve.