Random Image

Shoes On The Danube

Owner: Radioman34
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for July 1, 2019

Started by so_P_bubble, July 01, 2019, 12:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

Mary Ann, it isn't a microwave.  It is a convection oven and does what your range oven does plus so much more.  Also, connects to smart phone so you can control it even when you aren't at home.  AND, a whole lot more.  Has a camEra so you can see how it is cooking by looking at your phone. Pretty amazing appliance.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Mary Ann

Phyllis, I knew it was not a microwave, it's that we thought of getting one that would go on the counter at one time.  And this "toy" would fit on the counter.  Not only that the door falls down, not from right to left as the microwaves do.  I don't have a "smart phone" so that lets me out of purchasing it!  Ha!

I'm getting along fine with what I have but I don't put anything heavy in the microwave because I can't get it out - it's too heavy and I'm too short.

Mary Ann

Lloyd Hammond

Nancy Has a Microwave oven for several years she dose some cooking and a lot of defrosting in it. good to warm up leftovers as well. we are ready to leave now to grand daughter's for our get together and fourth feed. see you all later.

Lloyd

JaneS

It was a special day today and I'm tired!  I went to my daughter's for supper (steaks on the grill) it was delicious.  And the company was the best.  We decided to eat inside because it was so hot and humid outside. 

When I came home, I was so tired from the days events that, after taking care of the doggies needs, I fell asleep on the couch.  I didn't wake up until they made their needs known again.  And now I'm going to be.

I bid you a Good Night on the Fourth of July and I wish you all a peaceful sleep and a good tomorrow.

Oh, and Phyllis, I'm not falling for your ploy.  I've already considered that "toy" and rejected it.  I don't want to have to learn everything that it does and I can't afford a new phone.  Nice try!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone .  I was starting to write that I had just had some ice cream here at 4 pm in the morning but then realized the fudge bar I just ate had never seen ice cream and was probably all chemicals or maybe soya.  None the less it was cold and that was what tasted so good. What freedom and I don't even have to feel foolish for doing what I want to do when I want to do it.  The nurse will likely be here fairly early this morning.  I have everything set out on the table including the refill medications that came a couple of days ago.  Now a few pictures of my "man cave" if I can remember how to use the  PhotoPeach app here on the computer.

Scott is planning on coming out sometimes before he has to go to work late this afternoon.  He has about 4 grab bars to put up on various places that will give me a place to hold onto.  While we were out yesterday one of the heavy doors I was holding onto caught a gust of wind or slipped and got a couple of my fingers.  Other than showing some bruises this morning they aren't even sore.  I was lucky as could easily have had two broken fingers or knuckles . 

Bubble it sounds like your lucky day in terms of Euros.  Unfortunately some people do fall for these scams.

Shirley, I have an interesting, if somewhat disturbing, situation with your travels and also when Lindancer was hospitalized.  I have no memory of you being gone.  This has happened before and only seems to involves a few of the posers here.

Jane, that sure wasn't a highlight moment at the end of your successful jam making effort.  Forgive yourself as it was an accident nd your jam was saved.

Phyllis, I would be right over to help you with your 4th dinner this afternoon but my taste buds are all mixed up.

Mary Ann & Phyllis, yesterday while I was aways from the house I had a chance to see how the SimpliSafe home security works.  I got a video and it showed Pa waling thorough the house with a bright and clear picture. 

Lloyd, I hope you all had a great time with the fourth feed.

so_P_bubble

JaneS, you jinxed me!
I made 6 jars of cherry jam today; but when I took the pot to make it, a lid fell on the floor and broke into 5 pieces. That was not too much to clean up.
I hope I can replace it :(

I moped the pot with a slice of bread before washing it:  it was too delicious to waste  ;D

Thank you Don for sending me some pectin!  (unavailable here)

Shirley

Good morning the day after the 4th of July!     

Fitbit won't tell me how much/little I slept, it wants to do an update & I don't want to mess with it right now. Had breakfast so plan to go back to bed for a couple hours. I woke up about 1:30 am looking for Tiger, she wasn't here all afternoon or even when I went to bed, had wanted out before noon & guess fireworks made her go into hiding. It got worse & was still going on when I opened the door to whistle for her at that wee hour. In this flat land the sound carries so the booms & snaps could have been anywhere. Tom stayed inside & ate his meals & hers, too. Still no Callie so I feel very guilty for leaving her behind. But I could not imaging taking her when I don't know if she has ever been in a moving vehicle (except when the neighbor took her to be "fixed".

Larry, I did not say exactly when I would be gone so probably the reason you missed my saying. We have several houses in my neighborhood that sit empty while the widows are staying in re-habs for one reason or another. Hate to think of how easy it would be to loot any of the houses, except I believe every one is armed with a security system (and alert neighbors). When Cas died I realized that with nobody else in the house to disturb, I could be up & down at night, eat any time or any thing and after getting used to that idea, have thoroughly enjoyed being "a free spirit".  For those of us that spent our lives walking the line, sure is a smile to break the rules, huh? I put a screen door handle https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Black-Screen-Door-Pull-Handle/1000141873, happened to have a new brass one, by the door coming into the house from the garage, because a neighbor would walk across the street to visit when I had the garage door open & we'd come inside to sit... but she had a problem with the one step to get in. Now I use that handle all the time, just steadies me as I step up with an arm load and one hand free. My stomach squeezed in sympathy at the thought of your fingers in that door!

You girls are all doing a guilt trip on me with your canning & being so ambitious!  It has been a long time since I took on that job & was never sure enough of my job to eat what I fixed. Just this week I discovered several of the quart jars of the "piccalilli" that I made since living in this house. I ate it when fresh but chickened out after it sat on the shelf for a few months. I want to pour out the contents & save the jars.... bought a carton of them in 1976 & they have the year with a Liberty Bell raised on the jar. Not sure if they are collectable but thought some serious canner would appreciate. The day is coming I will have to clean out this house.  ::) My mother did a lot of canning, I helped with the "chinois" to mash & keep seeds out of whatever she was fixing that day. http://foodperson.com/2007/09/03/the-right-tool-makes-sauce-a-snap/  This looks exactly like the one Mom had. That was the extent of my interest in cooking or canning.

Think I'd better go catch some zzzzzzs because it will be a busy day. Trash man comes early & I have some yard weeds to get rid of first, mowers come & need to weed whip a few places they don't think is part of their job... daughter still in town so they will come visit & still have to deal with ordering the dome for the RV, put the slide back out to strip the bedding & close it back up before late afternoon showers hit & get those tons of laundry started. Had e-mail from the insurance adjuster to call & discuss my roof claim.  Sure hope we don't all need to put new ones on but would be a big discount if it was needed when I go to sell the place..... Sleep first!!!

phyllis

OK, Jane.  I tried to tempt you but you are too strong to fall for it.  I agree.....I don't think I have the brain power to learn how to use a new thing but when I have to heat up my big oven for one small casserole dish I will think about it with longing.   :'(  And, just think how much money I saved myself!  :thumbup:

I was up a little early..restless night last night.  I have to get out to buy some milk and a few things I am running out of.  The temps. will be a little lower today...."only" 90 deg.  But, the high humidity is still with us from the little bit of rain we had last night.  So I won't tarry outside for long.

You, and your Pat, would have been welcome at my table for the 4th, Larry.  Dinner was good, especially the apple pie, but I still can't quite get my Kidney Bean Salad to taste like what my mother used to make.  Or, maybe, it is just my memory of what it used to taste like that is at fault.

Sorry about the broken lids for both of you, Jane and Bubble.  I don't think I have any baking dishes that still have the original glass lids. I'm terrible at breaking things.  When we lived in Los Angeles the kitchen had a ceramic tile counter top.  I can't tell you how many glasses and lids I broke by dropping something on that darned counter.  And I hated cleaning the grout with a tooth brush!

I see that your night was restless, too, Shirley.  Hope we both catch up.

I'm going to see if a 2nd cup of coffee will help.  Take care, Everyone.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Good morning everyone..
I wrote a post and poofffff away it went.
Going to be another blistering hot day here.I want ot head to town to pick up more cherries that are on sale this week.
Jane, and Bubble oh no...what a mess to clean up,Bubble you were a bit luckier than Jane though. Jane, your IP lid may fit your soup pot but you can make the soup in your IP in less time. Just through all the ingredients in and let it go.

Larry OWWW. oh my you were lucky!! Hope today is a wonderful carefree day for you.

Callie ,it may surprise you on the value of your quilts.

Phyliss, I would love that gadget, once the price comes way down.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's been a busy morning so far and I don't think this day is going to slow down. 

BUBBLE, I'm sorry about your lid and your fruit pectin.  I can't imagine not being able to get it right down the street.  I learned something today and if I can help you with that any time, please ask!  That's a serious statement.  I couldn't live without jam.  But I never thought of swiping a piece of bread around the empty pot to get the last of it.  I do use a rubber spatula and a coffee cup for the leavings.  I scrape it all into the cup, slip the cup in a plastic bag and have it on a toasted bagel for breakfast the next day.  That way, I get to test it for goodness and boy, was it ever good this morning!

PHYLLIS, the fact that I don't have much counter space was probably the first and formost factor in not buying something to put permanently on the counter.  But the telephone sure entered into the decision.

LARRY, don't you know there's not room for fingers in a door closing area?  Maybe they need to put up a sign saying "Remove fingers before closing".  Would that work for you! ;D

SHIRLEY, I used to help my mom and gramma with the canning and I remember manning that tool for them from time to time.  But I never knew it had a name other that "that strainer thing".  So you see, one is never too old to learn!

I looked up my lid on line yesterday but before I order one, I'm going to look at WM.  The last time I needed a lid for a frying pan than came without one, they had the perfect one.  Maybe I'll have a new one when I come home.  I hope you get lucky, too, BUBBLE.

Now I have to get busy and do SOMETHING before I have to get ready for work.  Enjoy your day Everyfriend.  Make it a good one.  It's yours! 

JaneS

Missed your post, AMY!  My veggie soup pot (also used for ham and beans and chicken pot pie and spaghetti sauce) is an 18 quart one that isn't even big enough to finish all the soup.  I make it to can and a lot of that goes out in gifts.  Our church has an "in house" soup sale once a month through the Fall, Winter and Spring months and "Jane's Vegetable Soup" is expected in October or November.  That's 5 quarts.  Then there's a food pantry for college students that is supplied during the December finals and Jane's Vegetable soup is one of the staples.  That's another 6 pints.  Then there's Bethany's birthday and Christmas presents and now that she's in college nearby, maybe a couple jars for her to keep on hand.  Of course, there's me and I have to have my vegetable soup.  And if Frankie shows up she'll have a choice of vegetable soup or spaghetti.  That's LOT of soup and I'm already collecting ingredients for canning!  I'll probably do the meat in my new toy.  It'll sure be a lot faster!

Joy

Good Friday morning to all the morning friends.

I, for one,  never got into canning. My mother and an aunt used to can a lot of vegetables.  My mother also made a lot of jam and jelly, and my aunt made her own Ketchup, and also  made wine from grapes in her yard. I remember one time I did put up some peaches and then, was afraid to eat them, thinking I may not have done it right.  So, wound up tossing  them all away/ That was the last and only time I ever tried canning. But, I envy all of you that do.  I know how good it all will taste.

I did watch the fireworks from the Duluth Harbor last night. After switching back and forth between several of the web cams, I settled on the Bridge Cam and could see the fireworks great.  They lasted about 1/2 hour.  Lots of people all around.

It was pretty quiet around my place last night. Only heard a couple small "pops" and they weren't that loud.  I was watching the movie "Yankee DOodle Dandy" in between watching the fireworks. 

Nothing special going on today. Sounds like everyone had a nice 4th of July.  Now, the summer will fly by very quickly.

Hope everyone will have a nice weekend.

Joy
BIG BOX

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. well we did Have a good feed and visit at grand daughter's yesterday, we had very strong t storms yesterday and all night last night and up until a few min. ago and it is rumbling very loud now in the north west moving at us. we had strong 3& 1/2" in gauge when Nancy dumped it and is over 1&1/2" in there again. from the sound of the thunder cumming this way we are getting some more soon. we are not doing canning much any more. we have lot of canned food in pantrey's and the freezer of the side by  side , top freezer if the regular fridge and a large chest type freezer and a up right Large. we need to sort out and give to some poor people. we have all sorts of vegies Hamburger , sausage and roasts and no telling what else. also in the pantery lot of juices for making jelly, wield plum ,concord grape, prickly Pair, black beery and apple that I can think of with out going in there to go and see. and Nancy cooks like we still have children at home everyday we have enough leftovers in fridge to last for several days and she just put scalloped Potatoes in the oven for today noon meal. come help us eat some of it and take some of it home with you. Have a great day.

Lloyd

CallieOK

Good afternoon,

Amy,  I'm not sure I want to know value of the quilts!!!!  Will probably leave that to the heirs.  ;)

Still smiling at an exchange I had with a very young check-out clerk this morning.
Included in my items were two unlined Writing Tablets. After scanning them, he thumbed through one and...

Clerk:  "What are these for?"
Me:  "for writing someone - like stationery"
Clerk:  (blank look)
Me:  "When you don't want to use your I-phone or text".
Clerk:  "Ohhh"  (at least, he didn't shrug  ;D )

Can we say "Generation Gap?"  ::)

Computer Geek is due in a little while to set up the new HP Pavilion "All In One" computer.  May have to use Tablet for communicating until I figure out all the "bells and whistles".

Until then....behave yourselves and have an Enjoyable Day.
 :hugs:

Shirley

Let summer be gone!!! Don't like the heat, don't like the humidity,  don't like the weeds and bugs, give me time & I'll give you plenty other reasons I don't like summer. One major one is that summer clothes do not hide the sins of winter eating & being lazy or the icky arms of crepe skin. I hate to pass by a mirror these days. So there....... I was sound asleep when the noise of a lawn mower woke me... not sure what time my guys will arrive but I have tried to convince them to call first so I can take locks off gates before. Wasn't them making the noise but I got out the keys & took locks off......to the tune of thunder & splats of rain. I looked over the river & discovered the water is up over my tiger lilies again so somebody west of us had a juicy rain fall. Right now the sun is shining (maybe a 5 minute rain for us).... so you can imagine the humidity. Give me sleep~~~~I will be whining until late Sept or Oct.  :'( 

Good day, Callie. I sure like the HP I found in CO last year... & would never have looked at it but had not taken one & this was on sale & sounded like a good deal (especially to my son). I don't have a tablet, do have a very old Kindle Fire that serves well for playing solitaire, hate my smart iPhone but keep it so the kids can text me when a busy holiday season. I hardly every use the 3 Toshiba computers because they are so slow, I didn't know how bad until getting a new one. Good luck with your new set up.

Daughter called, on her way. They go back to St.Louis tomorrow.

CallieOK

Computer installed.  Everything looks fairly familiar.
First attempt at using.
I think I'm gonna like it!!!!

JaneS

On my way home after work, I checked the pots and pans aisle and do you believe it, I couldn't find ANY replacement lids.  The have them on line to order but not in the store any more.  I bought two necessities...milk and potato chips...and then I came home.  I was hot and tired and I took the doggies out and gave them a snack and came in and checked my email and hit the couch.  It was loaded wit zzzzs and more than happy to share.  Now I feel like I can navigate until bed time. 

SHIRLEY, without summer, we wouldn't have any of the good stuff to can so we have it to eat "when the snow flies".  Neither would DelMonte, or Ragu or Campbells or....well, you get the picture.

I think they're trying to tell me they're hungry and it's time to eat.  I guess I better take heed.  I'm a little hungry myself.  I hope you are all enjoying your day.  SHIRLEY, I hope you found something interesting to do so you can stop wishing for SNOW  >:(

Shirley

Jane, I had a short nap but with nap & last night, still not 3 hours sleep. Unlike me, but my eye lids are staying up only because my eye brows are raised as high as I can get them!  I've spent so much time today on the internet & calling stores to find the right batteries for the remotes for the RV. You'd think a Ford chassis would be the most popular type to find a part for, but when Googling, it takes to all batteries EXCEPT the one I need. Even though the various stores pop up to buy, when I go to "in stock" & they don't even have the right number in stock! So many times I open the front door & click the remote to make sure the front doors are locked, most of the time I enter the side door when loading/unloading, but will have opened a front door & forget to lock. I have batteries (button type) with one number off, same numbers that pop up on all the sites... but they are too thick even though they are 3v.... bummer. Amazon Prime didn't even work... how can that happen???  I got the one apart & even tried the thick ones with not a remote chance of working,  ;)  but stirred up their juices & did actually open & close with a click after I put it back together . When I call the RV place to see if they can order the dome I will check to see if they have the batteries as well. And there you are, Janie, you are right about needing summer but I don't have to like it, do I?  Tomorrow is another day.............

Denver

GOOD EVENING EVERYFRIEND ....I have just caught up on reading all of the nice posts.  I am sorry I did not get in to post a HAPPY INDEPENDICE DAY to you all.  We kept quite busy with the family and sure enjoyed our time in Vail.  It was just beautiful there....perfect temperatures and being with the families sure made my time just delightful.  I must admit that I really hurt from having to climb three flights of stairs every time I went up to Dave's place which is where we slept each night.  UGH!  We came home today, Friday.  We could have stayed longer, but Bob was ready to be home.  I am sure happy to report that Michele was doing fantastic and participating in everything, and seemed to really be enjoying herself.  She was pretty tired at times but I think being away and having so many people around helped her mentally.  The insurance company did OK her CT Scan and she will have it in a couple of weeks.  She will have he chemo next Monday as scheduled. 

We have been watching Wimbledon a LOT and are really amazed by CoCo Gauff.  The Tour de France starts soon and that is another time consumer.....I have a love/hate with it as I love to see the beautiful country side views, but get really tired of it being on so much and for so long. 

GLORIA, I enjoyed your special card as always.  Thank you.

I think it is time for me to head off to bed. 

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Lloyd Hammond

Well all I can tell you all about $ value of quilts Is every year we at senior center in warrensburg MO. every year wa have a big feed and we do a silent action an a public action we donate all sorts of things to action Off, and quilts is one of the big atractions and they go as high as$2,000 to $4,500 also cakes and pies bring from $25.00 to as high as$1,000 each. in that one day feed and sale we draw in enough $$$ to operate free dinners delivered to those that need good meals and can't afford them. at the check in suggested is $4-6 per person ( what you can afford) some people put in 5 10$  some put as low as $1 they no   because it is rolled or folded tight. that is alright as only god knows it it is true what they can afford or not. they have good cooks and put out great meals five days a week and deliver meals to shut in's.

Lloyd

Oldiesmann

Popping in briefly to say thanks for all the birthday wishes. I actually celebrated on Saturday (a day before my actual birthday) because I had church on Sunday and wouldn't have had as much time to do fun stuff then. I spent the day relaxing at a local amusement park/pool with my sister, brother-in-law and nieces, then we all met up with my parents for dinner at a local restaurant before heading home for ice cream cake and presents.

so_P_bubble

What a pool, Michael! It must have been lots of fun. Did you try the TYPHOON TOWER too? I believe that would be a favorite for my daughter and my grandson  :-\

Amy

Good morning everyone..

We had thunder but no rain last night. Lawn will soon crisp up if we don't get rain. We are off to an estate sale this morning, we don't have to go far just two houses down from us. Hope to do laundry and hang it out before we go.

Jenny , great to read Michele is doing better and that they have ok'd the CT scan.

Shirley, I am with you, I don't like this fry weather either. Love Spring, Fall and Winter but find the heat and humidity too much and yes the dag burn bugs too!!

Jane I hope you can find a lid before soup time. Have you checked second hand stores?

Better get a move on here, will take hubby out for his coffee then to the estate sale.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Gloria

Good morning everyone, I know I posted a long post yesterday afternoon but cannot find it this morning. I always come on with my last post in the mornings and have gone back looking for it. Oh well, all I can remember is explaining about the hose on the back of the AC coming out. #1 son came and used duct tape to attach it but when the connection warmed up the tape let go. I know #2 son was coming yesterday and when he called to ask if I needed anything besides farm fresh eggs I laughed and told him a new AC.  He brought some aluminum duct tape and used that. I t held and it finally cooled off in here last  night. We had the first 91° on the Fourth and had no AC up here. I spent a miserable day and night.
SHIRLEY  Of course I agreed with you about the summer weather.
Slept so good last night and feel better this morning. I have been reading and not commenting.

JENNY  good for you climbing those 3 flights of stairs, I have all I can do climbing 6 steps into my son's house. Good to read that Michele was doing so good and enjoying the day.

MICHAEL  who wouldn't enjoy being at that  pool, looks like fun.

AMY  we have thunderstorms in the forecast for this afternoon. Weather guesser said they could be bad ones with winds and downpours.

By now I am ready for my second cup of coffee and breakfast.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm just checking in this morning because I have lots to get done.  I'm hoping my daughter doesn't call to say she's going to the Amish store this morning because I need some stuff but I can't really squeeze it in. 

JENNY, thank God for Michele's CT scan!  He said "yes" to that prayer.

OLDIESMAN, What a pool!  Nice place to spend your birthday!  Nice to find that you're not so far from where I am on a map!

AMY, no second hand stores nearby that I know of but thanks for the reminder.  Maybe I'll take a walk around the FLEA MARKET when I get home from church tomorrow. 

Now, I better get busy.  Time's a wastin'!  Nothing will get done if I continue to sit here.  First on the agenda is making laundry detergent.  If I don't have that, I can't throw a load of clothes in the wash while I'm busy in the kitchen (or while I take a snooze, either) 

One question....I'm going to need a new coffee pot soon.  I'm leaning toward the one that makes a single or a pot.  I also want one that I don't have to buy pods for.  I want to be able to use whatever coffee I have on hand.  Any suggestions?

Lloyd Hammond

Gloria don't you rent If so your land lord should have to fix or replace it. you may want to take your bed role and camp on his couch and Make a lot of Noyce I bet that would get his attention. we have very heavy fog here this A M. see you all later.

Lloyd

Shirley

Up early & not enough sleep but do want to mention, Jane & anyone else reading... that someone suggested to me when I was looking for a particular replacement lid, to check the "thrift" stores. Sure enough, when I asked about lids they had boxes FULL of any size & color possible. They were mostly 10¢ each so I bought several that "might work" & they fit other things & still have them in the cabinet. Never did find the one to fit that teapot so I use a different teapot.

Sure is humid here this morning. More showers or T-storms today so not the day to give the RV it's needed going over. Got to wait until Monday to call about a new dome & also hear about a new roof.

Still no sign of Callie. Tom & Tiger were sitting near the door just staring out toward the river, like something had been around they didn't trust. Tom came on in to eat but Tiger sat there while I read all the posts & finally came in.  Cats sure don't obey like a dog.... Tiger ate & wanted back out, just sitting on the far side of the pool area watching down toward the river. Tom is laying by the door watching her. I am concerned that some critter has moved in that is a danger to cats & small dogs. Haven't seen the larger birds that would consider them a meal, but with the flooding we have no idea what other wildlife might be roaming the river banks.

Nice to have you pop in, Michael, & that you had a nice birthday. How old are your nieces?  Bet they love having you around. My favorite aunt was one that didn't have kids of her own so every one of us thought WE were her favorite. She was fun but she also had a way of making each feel special.

I used to love going to estate sales, Amy.... have not been to one in years. I love pretty "knick-knack" things & fun to see what others collected. I have a couple shelves full of milk glass things, need to have a garage sale & get rid of stuff that the kids don't want. I had several pieces my mother gave me & not positive which they are now, only my daughter cares about saving what came down through the family & the younger kids have no interest in any of the antiques. I tried to explain to them that "they are just the care givers for these pieces that have been in the family for 150 years, that their grandchildren may be excited to take something for show & tell that has such history. We will see, maybe I won't, when time comes for me to down size. I have put notes on things to remind the family which pieces are special. 

Lloyd, looks like about time to head north to cooler weather, except even Alaska is hot now. I think I prefer to travel in cooler months, but do enjoy just sitting in a woodsy campground doing nothing but watching the animals & birds. At least in the mountains of CO it gets cool enough at night to be comfy & bugs aren't too bad./color]

Shirley

Forgot to mention, Gloria, hope the duct tape works!  My son put some on that dome before we went to CO but it was waving in the wind when we returned. One of the roof men had his ladder out & offered to put new on so I gave him a different type roll. He was impressed with how sticky it was but it isn't made for outside so know it will leak. Just got to find a place to order new... but think about all those commercials of various types of glue to fix anything & wish I knew which one really works. I would like to find a solid metal dome & not have to watch for low hanging limbs (much less hail). I don't use the shower in the RV anyway, & not tall enough to need extra head room, it does keep it light inside.

phyllis

It is a warm, muggy, overcast day here with the forecast of rain, thunderstorms, etc. sometime today.  Strangely, there have been a lot of storms for the last several days but they seem to just go around my area.  The neighborhood lawns are actually browning out and, I didn't think I would say this, we need rain.

Jane, have you checked other pots, casserole dishes, etc. that you have?  That is where I found a same size replacement lid that I needed.  I thought I was pretty lucky.

Jenny, I like watching the Tour DE France, too, and for the same reason that you do....I love to see the French countryside.  The Tour goes through some beautiful villages with impressive chateaus and cathedrals.

A former neighbor dropped by yesterday and brought me a basket full of delicious ripe peaches from the farm stands near their mountain cabin.  They smell so good.  I need to look up some IP recipe that I can use them for right now because they are all at the peak of ripeness.  A few more days and they will be past their best.  Cooking is on the agenda for the day.....again.

Take care and stay cool, Everyone.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Carol

We are invited to lunch at youngest son's home as well as his in-laws - today.  Ordered not to bring one thing - but I do have a picture of a Loon he will like.  It is a Canadian artist and I spotted this picture when I was donating to a thrift store.  :)   

We watched "the speech" on the 4th and the great salute to our military.  I am always amazed that so many people turn out in huge crowds for these shows. 

Jenny:  I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful visit and your DIL was doing well over the holiday. 

On quilting, I am certainly not in the esteemed quality of the gals in quilting group.  However, I keep a project going and one quilt is hanging on the wall - it needs more blocks around the edges.  My favorite machine is in for service and they say it will take two weeks just for a deep cleaning.  - Someone mentioned iPot and thanks for the site because more recipes is nice.  Putting the iPot right on the counter motivates me to use it much more often. 

Big quake in California - two quakes.  There are faults running all the way up the west coast and even in the middle of this country.  What huge expenses for these two quakes.