Random Image

futon bed

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of August 7

Started by JoanFL, August 07, 2016, 04:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Good Saturday morning, Everyfriend.   There's a glazed pecan coffee ring to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a good day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

You Are a Nerd If...

- You rotate your screen savers more frequently than your automobile tires.

- You have a functioning home copier machine, but every toaster you own turns bread into charcoal.

- You have more toys than your kids.

- You need a checklist to turn on the TV.

- You have introduced your kids by the wrong names.

- You have a habit of destroying things in order to see how they work.

- Your I.Q. number is bigger than your weight.

- The microphone or visual aids at a meeting don't work and you rush up to the front to fix it.

- You can remember seven computer passwords but not your anniversary.

- You have memorized the program scheduled for the Discovery Channel and have seen most of the shows already.

Food For Thought

Set Free

Scripture Reading â€" Mark 5:1-13
When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. â€" Mark 5:6
Jesus met a man who was deeply conflicted, a madman. The local community had tried to restrain him with shackles and chains. But nothing had worked. Now he lived outside the community in caves where the people buried their dead. He could often be heard crying out among the hills and tombs, and he “cut himself with stones.” His situation seemed hopeless, with no one to help.
Can you relate to this man? Have you had dreams and aspirations that have been dashed? Is your internal pain so great that you have thought about harming yourself? Has your community tried to help, only to restrain you in some way?
Jesus came to help this man, and we can see that even a Gentile madman mattered to him. The message is clear. In the midst of our madness, Jesus cares about us and is willing to bring healing. We all matter to Jesus! Everyone does!
This man, who was teeming with demons, saw Jesus coming. “He ran and fell on his knees in front of him.” Shame, defilement, guilt, and uncleanness are not able to keep anyone from Jesus.
Jesus helped him, saying, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!” And the man was freed, restored to his right mind. Has Jesus freed you from the madness of overpowering sin? Run to him today!
Prayer
Jesus, thank you for drawing us to you and giving us hope in the midst of our sin. We thank you for giving us freedom. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“The world would be happier if men had the same capacity to be silent that they have to speak.”

~ Baruch Spinoza

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

junee

Jackie
It is Saturday evening here now and it is 7.10 pm.  Hope you are able to get about,even by car as it looks such a nice area there.  Take care.

Vanilla-Jackie

Junee.....
...you are nine hours ahead of me, and I am several hours ahead of our American - Canadian friends...see this world clock chart....you can also change the link from country to city, top left-hand corner...link....

Good morning Joan.....and Everyfriends....

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/?sort=1

" There is no present like the time "

Gloria

Good morning everyone, we had a humdinger of a thunder storm just before 5 yesterday. Lost power again. I think it was right over us, lightening and thunder almost at the same instant.  On TV they scrolled at the bottom that one was on the way so shut the tv and the PC off just in time because there was a flash I could see and the power went off. I do have power strips but like having these things off in a storm. Years ago we had a TV get zapped because my husband would not shut it off.

JOAN  the way these apartments are set up the AC cannot cool around the corners.  Need fans on to get into the bedroom. I sit here near it so if I stay right here I am nice and cool. I got another Microsoft email yesterday, an I the only one getting those emails? Most of us have Windows and not Macs so if it is not a scam/hoax most of us should be getting them. I am not the only one with Skype. Again this second one had a lot of links to click on. The only thing I clicked on was the delete button.

CALLIE  I remember something Junee brought to that gathering in Missouri that no one cared for. Hope you get that “cold” front and enjoy it.

MARY ANN  I love blue, it is the color I always picked.  It could be my eyes now but  I never cared for bold text. I always use a fine one, to me it looks sharper. I can go for years not needing new glasses but when I finally need new ones my eyes seem to start changing a few months afterwards. Twice I got the progressive lenses and loved the at first but after a couple of months I just had to get back to bifocals. Stick to your choice if it is better for you.

JACKIE  I have my font size set to 125, too. With some posts if I find it too small I just click the control ket and scroll the wheel on the mouse forward to increase what I am reading.

PATRICIA  in this town school starts a week before Labor day. Used to be the week after that but since they had so many snow days some years they started earlier so the kids do not have to make up those days on their vacation times or on a Saturday.

SHIRLEY  colorful post, at least you did not use yellow or pink that just is so light I have to highlight to read. So now you are letting Miss Callie into the house. Not just the garage anymore. You are a softy where they are concerned.

JANE  once again I say ouch.  Not complaining I just highlight to read. We all see things different. The maintenance man's wife went school shopping with her daughter and her granddaughters Friday.

JACKIE  I have had friends from the UK and knew when you said grafter how you meant it. I know when one of those friends first came here we had a lot of laughs with some of her remarks. Sshe knew we were not laughing at her and sure learned fast that some words meant so different here.

JOAN  oh boy does your breakfast treat look good. Love pecans and coffee cake but glazed will make it perfect. Chuckles had me doing just that.  Wonder if I am a nerd, don't change screen savers but sure change wallpaper often. Set Free made me think of many things. The one time in my life when I felt Set Free was when I finally had the smarts or courage or what ever to divorce my husband. Was that Jesus telling me I had had enough? I do believe it was. Thank you for all today's goodies.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning/evening Junee.

Good morning/afternoon Vanilla-Jackie.  Thanks for the link.

Gloria--Good morning.  I have those power strips, too.  I am not getting mail from Microsoft, but I don't have Skype.  No, you are not a NERD. :)

JaneS

I don't know how to please everyone.  Mary Ann says, "thank you" when I do bold and color and Gloria say "ouch".  I guess it's a case of that old saying, "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.  But you can't please all of the people all of the time." 

Gloria, the bold and the color are much easier for me to read and the black, plain makes me squint sometimes. 

GOOD MORNING EVERYFRIEND!  I think we had a bit of rain overnight again.  Things are beginning to look green again. And the growing things are saying "Thank you God!"  We really needed rain badly.  I hope the rest of you who need it, will get it. 

I haven't decided what I'm going to get into,today.  I've started the cleaning and I got from the back all the way to the front and the sweeper is sitting right next to the living room so I think I'll finish that first.  I might go over to the little family farm market and get a few items that I need.  And I have to sweep the porch.  After that, I'll "wing" it!

Have a wonderful day Everyfriend! 

Special note to Gloria...you have a great day, too!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Going to be another hot humid day here. We didn't get much rain  yesterday only enough to wet the ground and make it very humid. The weather guessers are calling for rain today but it may be like political promises all hot air and no results.

Today is laundry day here I would even hang it out to tempt the rain to fall lol

Will nip into town and pick up a few things at the grocery store before it becomes a mad house .

Joan ,thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  Like I said yesterday, I don't have trouble seeing any text except pink or yellow.  You sure got your cleaning done quickly.  Has your house guest departed?

Amy--Good morning.  I sure wish we'd get some rain.  I just checked the 7 day forecast and chance of rain is 0%.  Good luck beating the crowd to the grocery store.

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone.
well I am going to help Bobs Mom to butcher her chickens and butcher my remaining 11 chickens. I started out with 30 +
but some varmint tore the screen out and got in and killed the rest.. we ate the last one from last year the other day .
Never had very god luck this year. a varmint got all five turkeys.see you all later,have a great day.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  That's really sad that something got in and killed turkeys and chickens.

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S......
It would sure be a funny old world if we pleased all people....
Just back from a short uphill walk, been some time since I last done that walk, I can never tire from the stunning view when I reach " my top " the half way mark...It is a tough walk for me but as usual I push myself to walk it, I couldnt manage it by myself, have to grab hold of Rs shirt sleeve at most times for steadiness, I cant even do a turn around without having to grab hold of it, I just get dizzy...Here is a list of just some of the problems that face me.....

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Multiple-sclerosis/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie.  Thanks for the link.  I pray all of those things don't happen with you.  My friend who has MS wears metal braces on her legs and uses those crutches that are metal and wrap around your lower arm.  She just finished painting their entire house.  Her husband has Alzheimers so she's a caregiver for him, too.  GREAT you have "R" to help you.

JaneS

Hi Joanie, yes my guest has moved from my house to that of another friend.  She will return to California on the 20th.  I find that if I'm not the primary helper in her life, I can enjoy a visit with her more.  Tomorrow, I'm taking her to church at an outdoor chapel on the grounds where she and her family owned a cottage for many years.  When the service is over, if she's up to it, we will stop at the Farmer's Market.  And maybe we'll go to THE FENCE for lunch if it's not too hot.

I think I better get my shower and get dressed before I get caught in my jammies.  I'm really loafing this morning.  It feels good to be able to do that.  I did manage to pay a couple of bills that were due this week so I don't have to worry about that.  And I need to check out the Olympics.

I didn't really get the cleaning done that fast.  I did one bedroom and part of the hall one day, another bedroom and another part of the hall another day.  Today my plan is to do the living room and dining room.  The kitchen can wait until Monday but I can put the sweeper away today.

Make it a good day, Everyfriend!

Vanilla-Jackie

Joan.....
.....I would say I do or have suffered at least 50% - 75% on the others remaining on this list at some time, some I suffer now on a daily basis......there are 3 on this list I havnt yet suffered, at least to my knowledge....." Problems with thinking, learning and planning..."......" Bowel problems....."...." Speech and swallowing difficulties..."...I will ignore...."Sexual problems..." as that doesn't apply.... ;D

Joan....
......I cant even imagine how your friend can cope with her illness, AND her hubby's illness, must be really tough for her.....
I too at times, think of myself to be the toughest one in my household, if I can do something, I will do it....It really angers me when I ask R to get up out of a chair, it becomes such an effort for him as he is always so reluctant to do it, while he grunts and groans from being disturbed...... just too much of an effort for him, from someone who has a good and healthy pair of legs on him to walk a short distance from A to B in our home....

Mary Ann

I am loving reading all of the colorful posts and I thank everyone so much.  For those who do not want to or cannot do it, that's OK, I understand.  I do have prescription computer glasses and they help but it still is necessary to strain my eyes occasionally.  I call it one of the benefits of getting older.

Mary Ann

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Well I see you ladies are back at it again.  All up and doing the cleaning. shopping and whatnot of making a home. 

I am not real sure of what will transpire here.  Supposedly my Daughter is returning home to Del Rio, her Daughter, my Granddaughter, friend is coming from Austin to pick her up to go stay with her for a while.  The young lady lived with my Daughter and Granddaughter for several years.  So my wife and I will have the house to ourself once again.

the yardman is here cutting grass.  We had rain so close last night and I thought sure we would get some, but didn't.  Hopefully maybe today will be our day.  Louisiana is catching it and we are suppose to have the same storm move in over us....but we shall see.  I don't wish for 16 inches of rain like some got there.

Lloyd, do you know what kind of varmint got your birds?  That's terrible. But the life of a farmer.  I can remember growing up things like that happening, especially with young chicks.  Wipe out dozens of them in one night.

Good Morning Joanie, always a pleasure to see your smiling face and read your encouraging words.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We are in for another hot day.  I got out early and got haircut, stopped at the Walmart grocery area for some cream so I can make the sausage muffins Pat likes for her breakfast and then to the hardware store and finally pick up my replacement windows.  Apparently it has been there for some time but no one let me know until I called yesterday. 

Unfortunately, Pat's release from pain was pretty short lived as she is back to using the walker  and ice packs.  She slept again last night in her easy chair. 

My neighbor just stopped in and we had a very nice visit.  He was on the overpass as the motorcade of John Kennedy approached and saw the shooting.  He has given a talk about these events and subsequent history many times. I requested he give his talk to our Senior Lunch group at church and he accepted the invitation.  He will speak at our October meeting.

I now have the rest of the day to take things peacefully.  We had dinner in hand as will have the left over stir fry and port over fresh cauliflower that has been put through the food processor.  We used it in place of rice and it was actually quite good.  I really don't care for cooked cauliflower or broccoli but do like them both raw. 

Thanks to all of you who made the comments about Pat feeling better.  Guess we just need to remain patient and trust that in a little while she will be back on her feet and be able to resume her normal activities. 

Gloria, I did a little research on the Microsoft/Skype situation.  It appears any charging they may do will have to do with business usage and not the personal use of Skype.  I don't think it is something we individual users need worry about. I am confident that email you have gotten is a hoax.

Mary Ann, unless you code in a different font size or style it will default to the standard of the software our discussions use.  Your own monitor may show smaller or bigger but that won't affect what is actually posted unless you have made coding changes.  (I hope this makes sense.)  When you click the Preview tab rather than the Post tab you will have the opportunity to see what others will see when you do post unless we individually use a higher zoom that 100% on our monitors.

Lloyd, sad that after all the work of caring for the chickens and turkeys to lose them to the varmints.

JoanFL

Janie--Nice that your friend is not at another friend's house and you can enjoy the time you can see one another.

Vanilla-Jackie--My friend has had MS since she was 26 y/o and she's now 75 y/o.  Her symptoms came on gradually.  No two people are affected alike.

Larry--Sorry that Pat's painless state lasted such a short time.  I hope that further treatments bring better results.

My daughter-in-law left her work briefcase here.  She asked me to mail it--insure for $500--and send 2 day air.  I was totally shocked that it cost $111.89.

Vanilla-Jackie

Joan.....

It maybe possible your friend has one of the other category MS, re, Relapsing - Remitting or Progressive - Relapsing....I totally agree, no one size fits all....There are many MS symptoms and we can have some and not the other, while others have the other and not some...if you know what I mean....
I have also seen many at my monthly MS meetings who sure look worse than me, as your friend, I have seen some with leg, feet braces, some in electric wheelchair or mobility scooter....

Mine is  Primary - Progressive......Link to meanings.....

http://www.healthline.com/health/multiple-sclerosis/types-of-ms#Relapsing-Remitting5

I still find your friend marvellous in what she is- has been doing, I hope she has outside help, re, a good MS team who will help, support and advise her, not only with her MS but the response she is having to cope with hubby.........One thing they tell us is stress makes our MS worse....As for painting, I tried the other day to stand on a small dressing table type stool to wipe off some set grease bumps I spotted running along the top of a kitchen cabinet, but with no luck, the mind was willing but not the body, I just could not do it, yet I had sponge and cleaner in my hand...at one time I would have had no hesitation to jump up on that stool, but I had to ask R to do it, he done it but what a palaver of a simple one minute job, or what should have been a one minute job....... ;D

angelface555

Good morning everyone from another cloudy day in the Interior. Farrah is at the moment, sitting beside my chair and staring up at me. I need to learn a feline language anymore to understand this one small cat.

Jackie, I think we all have our ways of speaking or doing, such as handshaking or not and which hand to use. Or what type of speech, even among men and women, let alone different countries! We have so much more similarities than differences, one reason I love computers!

Gloria, if you are deleting a scam or possible scam email, do not use the red X as they say it can lead you into more trouble. We're told to use CTL-ALT-Delete instead.

Larry, I am so sorry to hear about Pat. I sincerely hope this is temporary.

Everyone have a great day! 

Vanilla-Jackie

Angelface....
I know dogs understand our body language, our slightest movement....they are one step ahead of us in knowing what they must do.....they are watching us like a hawk... ;D....just wondering if it is the same for our cat friends...Also they understand by the tone of our voice....although in our house our two dogs certainly understand plenty of separate words.....like dinner, do toilet, walkies, bedtime, give me a " kiss - kiss "

angelface555

Jackie, Farrah is the same and add to that her sense of alertness due to abuse, which she'll never quite shed and I am always being watched. "Big Sister" is in the house!  ;)

Mary Ann

Hal, I code each message individually - Highlight, Bold, Change color (blue), Post.  I have never checked Preview but I did understand my post font would show as the viewer has his/her computer programmed. 

Patricia, I have often wondered if Kendrick realizes when I am talking nice to him.  He does understand when I tell him to "get in here/there" when he's on the front porch.  Because he does "get in there!"  But when I tell him he is a good boy or a pretty boy, does he understand that?

I'm watching the Olympics golf on the Golf Channel.

Mary Ann

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--My friend has never mentioned the type of MS she has.  She is a RN and that career was short-lived once the MS was active.  She has tried to get help in caring for her husband, but so far--no luck.

Angelface--Farrah will teach you cat talk as time goes on.:)

Mary Ann--I had the Olympics on, but turned the TV off.

angelface555

I have read that an average cat or dog,  pig or small lovebird, rates somewhere around a two-year-old human whereas parrots, especially African Grey parrots are about the level of a three or four-year-old human. Crows, Ravens and Apes, are much higher on the scale.

We really cannot rate them against humans as we are only rating them as to how they understand or behave in human terms, but there we are. Orangutangs taught American sign language had been observed teaching it to their young for an example. There is so much we don't know about animals. Cats and dogs learn our language the way young children do, repetition and actions associated with that repetition.

I was just on Facebook, and they showed a short video of a white Cockatoo meowing in a circle with three young cats. One cat lifted a paw to the bird and the cockatoo hissed like a cat  back at the small cat. The kittens were very confused as the cockatoo was their size, behaving like a cat but obviously not. During this time, Farrah jumped up at me and started talking. I wish I knew what she was saying, probably about the sounds she was hearing. She has become very verbal.

JeanneP

Jackie. I am going to try and send you a copy of something my Friend sent me regarding the NHS. Funny. She moved from UK and bought a farm in France. Wait until she needs some health problem fixing. 
I would put in on S and F but the spacing to wide. See if it reaches you.
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

Way back a few years when I had my darling Petra ( dog ) I would test her by saying " bad girl " but I would say that as if I was saying " good girl  " in a soft and sweet tone....then I would follow it with a " good girl " but in the tone as if I was telling her " bad girl " bless her little heart, it was the tone she understood not the words I was telling her....I think we could learn a lot from animals, as what you see is what you get....and I think they understand more than we reckon on...

JeanneP

Jackie.  I will try here but spacing is just wrong. Funny though.

The Royal College of Nursing has weighed in on Prime Minister David Cameron's health care proposals for the junior doctors in the National Health Service.

The Allergists voted to scratch it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had a sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve.

The Obstetricians felt they were all labouring under a misconception. 

Ophthalmologists considered the idea short-sighted. 

Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the

Paediatricians said, "Oh, Grow up."

The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the

Radiologists could see right through it.

The Surgeons were fed up with the cuts and decided to wash their hands of the whole thing. 

The Ear Nose and Throat specialists didn't swallow it, and just wouldn't hear of it.

The Pharmacists thought it was a bitter pill to swallow, and the Plastic Surgeons said, "This puts a whole new face on the matter."

The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the

Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.

The Anaesthetists thought the whole idea was a gas, but the Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no. 

In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the arseholes in Whitehall.
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

Jeanne P......

....that sounds about right..... ;D

....very clever on a play of words....although I might have part blanked a couple of words out...

JaneS

We're having another thunderstorm....that's 3 today.  I made it to the mini farm market and back home without getting wet.  As my dad used to say, "I ran between the drops."