Random Image

Bangkok rooftop

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottoncandy

Good morning...almost noon...it's cool and rain off and on...am hoping to get a walk in....Jeanne are you on med for your blood pressure?..I've been having extreme flushing to my skin...might be my BP med...have appt in April...will be sure to discuss that...hope everyone has a good weekend...quite one for me...take care...Darlene

SharonE

Hi Gals. All is quiet here. Roof is fixed, but the hall closet ceiling still needs to be repainted and another minor repair to the outside of the sunroom.  The pounding wasn't too noisy yesterday, not like when they put a whole roof on and had several men up there doing it.

My cold is still giving me fits. Cannot understand why it hasn't gone away by now. Possibly an allergy, but not sure to what.

Jeanne, glad you're staying inside and warm and letting mother nature take care of the snow and ice!  -7 is awful!  Great that you lost so much weight and that your blood pressure is now normal.  How did you lose the weight?  I'm trying but not having a lot of luck.

Sue, I don't use my cell to call except when I'm traveling or I want to call home.  I use it more for FB, messenger, and Words with Friends.

Mary, I'm glad you're feeling better and had fun at bridge. 49% is pretty good.

Darlene, check with your pharmacist or doctor about whether the flushing is a side effect of your med.  They need to know.

Nothing going on here for now. I have an empty week next week, nothing scheduled.

Hope you all have a good weekend.  Sharon

jane

Jeanne...stay safe in that awful weather.

Sue...it sounds as if the cold has hit AL, too.

Sharon...good news on roof finished.

Mary...hurrah on new partner for duplicate and feeling good again. 

Alpiner...hope all is well out there in CA.

Quiet day here, too.  As Darlene said, it's a cool and rainy and windy day....getting the remains of the latest storm up north, I guess.  I know Jeanne's and my home area are getting hammered with severe cold and through this week.  Talking way below zero and wind chills like -35.  Dangerous to be out in that.  I'm so glad Ray's problem was found while we're here in TX and near an excellent cancer center and oncologist.  Here he can get out and walk and doesn't feel as if he's "couped up." 

Friday was a loooong day...doing the Pre_Op was again several hours of the same questions he's answered so many times before.  Since he has to be at the hospital at 7:00 am on Monday morning for the port, we're going up tomorrow afternoon and will stay over and again that night, since his first chemo is 9:00 am on Monday. 
[Please excuse me if I'm repeating myself.  I'm so emotionally drained and physically tired, I'll blame it on that.   ::) ]

Today has been catching up on laundry...finally have clean clothes for a few days, anyway.  I even took a nap about noon since I was up at 5:00 am again. I'll be in bed early tonight, I suspect. 

jane 

jane

I hope everything is ok with Joy and Marilyn.  We need to hear from those two when they have a chance.

Long sleep last night that felt great.  Ray wanted to walk this morning, but it was just too cold and windy when we got out there.  We walked over to McDonald's and he got a large coffee and after warming up a bit we came back to the condo.  It's just two blogs over from McDonald's. 

We'be packed suitcases and will leave in an hour or so for Harlingen.  We'll be back Tues after his chemo.

Iowa is getting hit again with more snow and dangerous cold.  I'm so glad we"re here where we don't have to worry about -35 wind chill and blowing snow, etc. 

Have a blessed Sunday, EveryBuddie.

Jane

Cottoncandy

Hi everyone...it's almost 70 here and sun...no wind yet..but supposed to get colder Tuesday...Sharon I did ask my Dr about the flushing and also the pharmacist...not a side effect of the Losartan I take...just wonder if it hormone related...my thyroid checks out ok........have a great Sunday...Darlene

SharonE

Darlene, are you taking any estrogen supplements or eating a lot of soy or tofu. That might make you flush.  Also very spicy foods, but I wouldn't think you would eat them so regularly that it's a constant flush.  That's the extent of my medical guesses. Glad you checked with the ones who do know!

Jane, I hope Ray's surgery and chemo go well.  It's going to be very tiring for both of you. Glad you got a good night's sleep last night.

I slept so hard this AM that when John woke me at 7:45, I fell back asleep and didn't come to until 8:20 and wondered why he woke me so early. Then it dawned on me that today was Sunday, so I had to move pretty fast to get dressed and eat breakfast in an hour.  We had a young divinity student give the sermon today as our regular pastor is in the Holy Land with a group.  He did a very good job I thought for a first year divinity student.  He also told us about doing a mission on John's Island near Charleston when the young man shot all those people in Mother Emmanuel church. He said he went the next week to services and was astounded at the joy of the service and the welcoming attitude of the congregation. He said the church was packed.

Since getting home, I've done 2 loads of laundry and have more to go. We stopped at the ATM in Fort Mill across from the church to deposit a check. They took down our ATM for BOA near us and are building a new bank, so until then, we have to get our $$$ in Ft. Mill.

NO other news here. I, too, hope to hear from Marilyn and Joy soon. Sharon

Marilyn

Hi every Buddy. Keith may be getting his wound vac  taken off for good next Thursday. we are just waiting for the Surgeon to fax back the request to the Home health nurses.

Today I notified the caregiver that we will only need her on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday unless otherwise she is needed. She was spending a lot of time just sitting, doing some crocheting or texting on her phone, or watching TV. there were things she could have been doing. She is supposed to be cleaning the house and this office and my bedroom hasn't been touched since she came. So it was time to cut her hours and stop paying her for the time she spent sitting. After Keith is well from the surgery I may  just lay her off all together. I was paying her more than I get from Social Security and our saving was going down after we paid for the roof.

maryz

Quiet sunny day today.  Margaret stopped by on her way home from the basketball game (Lady Vols finally won a game against LSU) and we went out for a Mexican dinner.  That was the big excitement this weekend.  We had snow predicted for Tuesday morning, but nothing like Jeanne and Iowa have been having.  I wasn't going anywhere anyway. 

Marilyn, love the new photo!  Hope you can get things worked out about the caregiver, but glad that Keith is finally improving.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's another chilly day here--about 28* at 8:56, but bright and sunny.  I haven't checked the weather channel, but expect it to stay in the mid '30s all day.  I don't plan to spend much time outside, although I will bundle up later to walk a bit in my neighborhood. 

Jane, I hope Ray's chemo treatment goes well this morning.  I'm glad you had a good sleep last night and hope today is a good one, although I know it may be stressful.  Please keep us posted when you have a moment to post here. 

Sharon, the service with the young minister sounds like it was inspiring.  That was such a horrible event at the black church in Charleston and it always saddens me when I hear about such despicable hate crimes.  I hope the assassin never leaves prison!  Unfortunately there are still too many of these heinous murders--sometimes with lots of family members being murdered by family members or inlaws!

Marilyn, I love your new photo!  And good for you for getting rid of the incompetent caregiver.  Paying someone who just sits there and doesn't help the patient is criminal in my opinion!  I'm glad Keith is improving now.

Mary, the Lady Vols beat our Lady Tigers a week or so ago.  Pat's former assistant and now head coach is not the most polite coach and like the Mississippi State coach encroached on our Lady Tigers space.  The MSU coach was practically sitting in Coach Flo's lap!  And the Tennessee coach stood past the scorer's table in our territory!  I think those 2 coaches might not trust their players to hustle enough when they are not playing in front of their own bench.  At any rate, Coach Flo does not venture into other coaches territory and I'm proud of her for not being a YELLER!  She does have a pretty severe frown when she's displeased, though!

I need to go outside again to bring my trash can back up the driveway.  The trash truck has already picked up the new recycling can, so I brought it up right away.  I think Tim will be here later this morning and I wanted it be easier for him to get his truck up into my driveway.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue 

SharonE

Hello to all the Buddies.  Marilyn, I agree with the others on your picture. It is really nice.  It's too bad about the caregiver. Perhaps you ought to give her a list of things to do if she's not caring for Keith.  When he is well, you might consider getting someone in to clean for you. With your back problems, you don't need to be doing that.  Once a week shouldn't break the bank. I'm sure they are a lot cheaper than caregivers. I pay mine $20 an hour which seems to be the going rate here. Different areas may be different though.

Mary, glad Margaret came by and took you out to eat. We all need those breaks.

Sue, your recycling is what we've had for the 11 yrs we've been here, although they just told us no more glass. Apparently China has been buying all the recycled stuff and now has cut way back. I think plastic is going to be the next to go.  Such a shame.

Nothing going on here today, but it is sunny and to be 50.  Sharon

Marilyn

I did make a list of things for her to do, and I have thought about just having someone in to clean after Keith's incision is completely healed. Right now she takes him to his infusions when I am doing something else, she does take care of Keith, but i seem to be doing  quite a bit of the things that she should be doing. Laundry, trash, making the bed.  etc

SharonE

Marilyn, when you see her sitting down and goofing off, ask her if she has finished the list of duties for the day.  Ms Francis' caretakers spent a lot of time reading magazines,etc. Made her so mad.

jane

Marilyn...hope you can get help that really helps you.

Long day here.  We were at hospital at 7 am for insertion of port.  He was in OR around 8 when he was brought back to room.  Intervention radiologist was enroute to hospital when he was called back to Brownsville for an emergency.  Ray taken back to OR about 12:30 and was finally discharged about 4:00.  Tomorrow is the first chemo.

Jane

maryz

So sorry about the delay, jane - just makes a tense time harder.  At least things finally got done.  I hope things go more smoothly tomorrow.

Hugs to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

maryz

Snow didn't happen, but that's a good thing. The schools all closed, just in case.  Guess they got a "freebie" this time.  But it's getting colder - 33 when I got up, 27 now (9:30)

Stay warm, Buddies! (especially Jeanne!)

SharonE

Jane, sorry for the delay.  Prayers that the chemo works and doesn't make him sick. Get as much rest as you can.

Mary, according to our forecast, you're due to get the snow today. We are supposed to get a miss, just rain.

Roofer guy was supposed to be here at 10:00 to work on back of sunroom. It's 11:00 now and still not here.  I'd like to go to the shopping area across the street, but don't want to leave if he's coming.  John's leaving for bridge.

I guess I'll go put the last load of laundry in now.  Wishing you all a good, safe, warm day.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies. My cleaning ladies arrived before 8:00 and I was still in bed as it is pretty chilly this morning.  I got up and let them in and fixed and ate my breakfast while they were cleaning.  We have sleet and ice predicted today and they want to get their customers cleaned and get back home before the roads ice up.  So I'm still sitting here in my P.J.'s.  I think I'll shower soon and hope I don't freeze!

We haven't had snow yet, but it's predicted for today.  We had rain during the night, so if the temperature drops more, the roads will be slick--and believe me, very few Alabama drivers know how to drive on icy roads! 

My plan for the rest of the day is to shower, dress in warm clothing, and read!  Tim came by yesterday and we went over lots of my paperwork so that we can start tax prep for my accountant. He took a bundle of it home with him and will contact Sherrill who does my taxes, but it's not all here yet. 

Not much else to do today, but I have plenty to read here for the rest of the week.  I'll take most of the cleaning ladies books to the library on Friday for their upcoming semi-annual book sale.

Jane, I hope you and Ray were able to rest well last night.  Also hope the chemo treatment will go well.  Thoughts and prayers for you both. 

Mary, so far we haven't had snow either, but the schools are all closed as it is predicted.  Probably lots of children will be home and if it snows at all, we will see tiny 5-10 inch snow men in every yard!  This always makes me laugh as the 2 times we lived in Maine, snowfalls were always at least 3-5 feet deep and required lots of shoveling to get out of our driveway.  However, the snow plows started up the minute it started to storm, so once our street was cleared we were good to go.

I'm thinking about making a pot of vegetable soup, but am not sure if I want to do that today.  I have a package of noodles and some things I could put in a soup pot, but right now I'm not thinking very hard!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy--and try to stay warm!
Sue

JeanneP

Just testing nothing showing as Being posting today. It I Tuesday
I am having  problem with Comcast acct. both new computer an IPad.
JeanneP

maryz

Another sunny day today, but BRRRRRR cold.  It was 19! when I got up this morning - up to near freezing now (10am).  I know that's not really cold by Jeanne's and jane's standards, but it's really cold for here.  There's been a lot of black ice on the less-traveled roads, but I'm definitely not doing anywhere today.

Hope jane and Ray and doing well and are back in their condo today.

Stay warm, Buddies!

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I haven't turned on the TV yet to see what the temperature is here in Auburn, but I'm guessing in the mid to low 20's.  It was very cold outside when I went out to get my newspaper.  I'm still not dressed and need to shower and put on some warmer clothing, but am having a hard time getting started.

Mary, I suspect our temperature is no higher than the low 30's right now at about 8:30.  Some wind which makes it feel colder.  I don't think I'll be taking a long walk today!  I have several library books to finish before Friday and will read between loads of laundry.  I'm trying to stay warm--and am thankful that I kept some of my woolies from our 2 tours in Maine!  We expected ice on the roads this morning, but so far my street and neighborhood look clear.

Jeanne, I hope you can get cleared up soon--and that your weather has a turn for warmer temps!  Keep us posted and stay warm!

Jane, I'm hoping Ray's chemo went well today and he's resting comfortably at your condo.  I know how stressful it can be when your husband is ill--We had several long years of chemo and various other things which included trips to Montgomery and to the Military base in Columbus, Georgia.  When he was finally put on chemo treatments, his mother finally told us about 4 of his father's brothers who'd died of that same cancer!  His father never had it--probably was too mean/stubborn to get it!  Bob's mother was a very sweet woman, but a wimp, and let her husband make all the decisions.  He didn't die from cancer, but did pre-decease her and she became my responsibility, especially after Bob died.

I'm thinking about making a pot of soup this morning, but so far haven't made a move toward the kitchen.  I'm going to shower and dress and hopefully get myself in there to start a pot of vegetable soup. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy--and stay warm!
Sue

jane

Sue...I remember how Bob's mother didn't share important family history.  Thank heavens, those days are over for most. I think this cancer is the result of all his lung  over the years, beginning when he was hospitalized with pneumonia when he was 3 and then other times over the years, his asthma and all those inhalers they prescribe, etc.

He's not sick at all today...said he feels great and had best night's sleep in weeks last night.  We went grocery shopping this morning in the cool drizzle and then the condo complex had an authentic Mexican meal for us at 1:00 made by the Hispanic women who work here. It was delicious!!

Now to relax for the rest of the day and finish laundry. 

jane

SharonE

Jane, so glad to hear that Ray slept well and feels great today. Now, if the chemo is effective, it sounds like clear sailing.

I can't believe families not sharing health problems.  I typed out a list of all the ones I knew of and sent copies to each of the kids and grandkids.

I just got back from the grocery and finally got lunch.  I didn't get to sleep till 4 AM and slept till 10:00!  John was already gone when I got up. He had some errands to run, so after those and before bridge, he called to see how I was doing.  He should be back before long.  It was pretty nippy when I left but had warmed up a lot by the time I came home.  Sharon

jane

The condo complex had a nice Mexican lunch for all of us today.  The Hispanic ladies who work here prepared the food and it was delicious...tacos, enchalidas (sp?), tamales, rice, refried beans, and wonderful desserts.  The food was not spicy ...just good.

They are testing and repairing the fire alarm system and the noise is driving me nuttier than I already am.  I sure hope they finish soon.

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's still pretty chilly here this morning and I'm waiting for the furnace to heat the bathroom a little more before I get into the shower.  It's bright and sunny, but only 28* here right now, so I may postpone my walk until it warms up a bit more.  Thankfully I still have heavy jackets for days like this as well as wooly hats, mittens, and gloves.  I just need to get my nerve up!

Jane, I'm glad to hear that Ray had a good night's sleep and is feeling better this morning.  I know that has to be a relief for you, too.  There's nothing worse than worry about our hubby's health.  Thoughts and prayers for both of you and good wishes for continued improvement.  Keep us posted.

Sharon, Bob's mother just didn't talk about any physical problems with anyone.  And his Dad hardly ever really talked to me, so we just had to guess what we needed to do when they needed help---especially when he continued to drive when he was so reckless--after he died Bob drove 65 miles at least once a week to take her grocery shopping and doing errands.  She never learned to drive.  Then when he died, she spent lots of time at our farm while I was still teaching.  She was a sweet lady, but had no "gumption" and never stood up for herself.  I had to help her sell her home in Prattville and brought her to an assisted living in Union Springs.  It wasn't long before she had to enter the Nursing home there.  Bob had died about 3 or 4 years prior to that.  One night the home called me to say that she was not going to make it through the night (at 2:30 a.m.) and I got dressed and drove up there and was able to say goodbye. Her last years were not pleasant for her or me.

Jane, I hope the noisy work is finished now and if not, soon.  The Mexican lunch sounds delicious.  I haven't had really good Mexican food since Bob died in 2002.  I had an offer on our farm in 2004 and that's when I moved up here.  That last summer at the farm it rained a lot and I had to be on the tractor every day trying to keep the grass mowed (or at least 10 acres of it!).

Not much else to say this morning.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy, and stay warm!
Sue

Cottoncandy

Hi every buddy....don't see many new posts...not much going on in my part of the world..the temps are warming up...able to walk today and the weekend looks good..Marlyin glad your hubby is doing better...Jane hope yours is doing ok......didn't read all post..so will say hi to all looking in Darlene

JeanneP

Did get out for 3 hours today. It is still only 6 deg. Had to do some shopping and things. Awful without a car. Never have been for 50 years. Just has I got home the snow started .say another 3 inches tonight.
Still trying to figure out this w10 new computer. All due to my Comcast acct. least I can get into it. With all the changes my IPad got messed up with google account. I will mess with it tomorrow. Relax with TV tonight. Been a messy 2 weeks it seems.
JeanneP

jane

Good morning, Buddies!
Not much going on here in our condo.  Neither of us feels like getting out today...weather changes has both of us hurting, so we postponed a planned trip to Brownsville...nothing much of importance...just wanted to maybe get out for a bit, but not as we both feel.  So...INSIDE DAY has been declared!

Compared to the Midwest temps Jeanne has and Sue's 28, we are balmy and comfortable here...62! 

Take care everybuddie....and Happy Oneth of February!

jane

SharonE

We're in the high 40's today, to be 60's by Sunday. Sounds wonderful. So glad I'm not in IN this winter.

Jane, sounds like a good idea to stay in if you're hurting.

Jeanne, how did you get out for 3 hrs without a car?  Uber or taxi or did a friend take you?  You've really had an awful winter. I hope it lets up soon for you.

Sue, I didn't think it ever got below freezing in AL!  Stay in and stay warm.

Darlene, glad you warmed up enough for a walk. That's what I need to do.

Hi to all others.  Sharon

maryz

Well, we got up to 60! today, with lots of sunshine.  And it's supposed to be near 70 next week.  Welcome to Tennessee!  Sharon, I'm like you - don't know how Jeanne got out with all that ice.  Whatever works, as long as she's safe.  That goes for all of us.

jane, sorry you and Ray are creaky.  Is he feeling any side effects from the chemo?  When does he have another treatment?

It's been such a quiet week around here.  My Monday bridge partner was sick, so we didn't play. But I played again with my new partner this afternoon.  We came in 3rd and got .21 MP, so I guess we did pretty good, especially for it being only the second time we'd played together.

We've gotten some fun news over the last week.  One of John's nieces from northern CA is going to be in the area in April.  Her stepdaughter has just moved to Charlotte and they're coming to visit. They're flying into Atlanta and are planning a swing through here.  She and our Sue are just a few months apart in age, so it'll be fun to get together.  And, one of my nieces from Maryland is planning to come to Jesse and Darby's wedding in May, so we'll get a chance to visit with them, too.  Party on!!!!

Happy Super Bowl weekend, Buddies!

jane

Jeanne...I sent you an email with a link from a computer tips newsletter I get about setting up a new computer.  I'm not sure I got the right emails, so I'll put it here, too

https://davescomputertips.com/how-to-set-up-a-new-computer/?utm_source=wysija&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly+Recap+Newsletter

Mary... HURRAH on the visits and Party ON ! 

The effects of the chemo are starting, I think.  He's very tired...went to bed at 8 and slept until 8:30...with numerous trips to bathroom since they went him to drink lots of water to protect his kidneys.

Hurrah for warm temps for our Southern gals!!!

I'm hoping to drive up to the kite fest for a bit and then need a grocery store run for a couple things.

Jane