Random Image

Squirrel

Owner: RAMMEL
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of May 29

Started by JoanFL, May 29, 2016, 05:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

Oh, Callie, I am laughing so hard tears are springing out!   We have a smoke alarm next to the door going into the garage & I was forever setting it off because my husband usually had that door open going in & out... and when anything got too hot the smell sucked right past that alarm.... and wasn't just smoke that set it off but odor!  I would stand & swing that door back & forth after opening the family room door to the pool area to let fresh air in... and turn the over the stove fan on... & would finally stop it's screeching.  NEVER had to be extremely hot.  After Cas died, the battery disappeared out of that little noise maker, a dumb location!  Have 2 others in the house & basement in case of real fires! 

Molly, I had trouble at one time with the bookmark & someone suggested going to the Forum tab, click on & bookmark it.... see if that doesn't work for you.

Hal, my sympathy for all those tests and treatments..... hopefully it will work so fast you won't need to keep going much longer.  So many new treatments compared with years ago.
Great golf sayings/tips, will send to my brother.

By the way, I found moth balls at the Dollar Tree or Dollar something.... good size box for a dollar.  Bet those birds had a nasty taste in their mouths after a while~ 

Don, you are really doing your job working out!  Very impressive!   :tiredtread: :cheer:

Jeanne Lee, hope my neighbor is reading about your rabbit cure.  She is fighting a losing battle in their garden.  These cats used to be great hunters but I stuff them with people & cat food so they won't bring them back to MY door. 

Hummmmmm, guess I didn't post this after all.  Got that blasted headache back & affecting my eyes & thinking. 

Jane, after all the giggling (Mary Ann, we would have gone into gales if we could hear each other!)   just what did you do to break your bed????  Solution... removed frame & leave box springs & mattress on the floor & watch how much the pups appreciate not having to jump so high~  They will think you did it just for them. 

June is home!  .....   :balloons: :boots: :cheer: :dog: :dog4: :frog: :happydance: :jump: :rofl: :tup: :wave: :whistle: :woohoo: :clap:

Going to flop on my bed & see if I can get some zzzzzzzzzz before bed time. :sleep:

Jeanne Lee

It's hard to know how to help Molly since I don't know what she is doing.  So I sent her an email with some very explicit information and I hope that's what she needs.  It can be so frustrating when things don't work like we expect!   :(

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

mycheal

June, Oh gosh how great it is again to see your words and spirit flowing about the room LOL

So now ya got the one two and know how to get to three by listening to orders and directions :)

The Power of Prayer is mighty :)

Rest up and soon hit the floor running :)

Mycheal

JaneS

Well, my daughter and SIL just left.  They came over with a Harvard bed frame and set it up, replaced my mattress and springs and I have a place to sleep tonight.  And it didn't even take any super glue! 

Shirley, I tried your idea of just removing the frame.  I think I'm about 20 years too late for that job!  And you're right, the doggies will be pleased when it's time to go to bed.  The bed is at least 8 inches lower.  Both Cathy and Craig commented that "that's one less thing we have to move".  They are in the process of packing up to move by mid-July. 

Sure, you all had a good laugh on Callie and me.  At least we're still good for something! 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

angelface555

:thumbup: Jane, I know I appreciated you and Callie! Thanks for that!  ;D

June is back and hopefully following orders per diet, yay!

Denver

Running late again tonight. 

Thank you, JOAN, for the goodie today.  I panicked at the thought of Joe eating a moth ball, but can sure understand how that could happen.  That has always been a concern of mine and therefore has kept me from putting something out like that, with the fear of some one getting it instead of the intended us of the item.

JACKIE, I can not even imagine being able to kill ones own child.  I really didn't want to read it, but felt I should.  He was a darling little guy! WHY?? 

CALLIE, I truly felt so sorry for you.  I could feel your frustration.  Glad the 911 operator was kind to you. 

MARYANN, belated Birthday greetings to Dot.  I am happy you were able to get together with her to celebrate.

JUNE, so happy to read you are home and hopefully feeling much better.  So glad that you were able to recognize that something just was not right.  Take care...rest well and feel better soon....hugs to you and lots of positive thoughts and prayers. 

JANE, sure glad your emergency was well taken care of by the time I got in here to read.  Happy your family was able to solve your problem right away. 

SHIRLEY, I guess you did the most effective thing you could do with that smoke alarm.......however if the other alarms are not close they might not give you enough warning....hope you never need one!

HAL, I will share your golf "stuff" with my son as I am sure he will enjoy it.  I wish you the best with the tests that you are facing. 

My eyes are getting mighty heavy, so I bet to head off to bed.

Pleasant dreams to all.
Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JaneS

Good Night Everyfriend!  Sleep well and wake refreshed.  God Bless Us, Every One!

JoanFL

Good Saturday morning, Everyfriend.   There's sticky buns to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a good day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Late Physicist

There was this physicist who was in the habit of getting home quite late. One time, he came home at 2:30 a.m. with a torn shirt, lipstick on his collar, hair messed up, and generally looking like a wreck. His wife caught him coming in the door and demanded to know why he came home so late.

His replied, "Well, after I left work today, a few friends and I went out to the bar for a few drinks. We met up with some rather good-looking young women and started to drink to excess. Things just kept happening, as you can well see. I sobered up enough to note how late it was, so I rushed home."

She screamed, "You liar! You were in the lab again, weren't you?"

Food For Thought

Three "Oh God's"
(By Rob Shep)

[Note from Chris: I always try to avoid any cursing in an issue, but for this one I'll make an exception... -Chris]

There are three ways to say "Oh God."

1. Oh God, she's so annoying.
Oh God, I spilled the milk.
God D@#^ I am so annoyed.

2. Oh God, where are you?
Oh God, where are you in the hurricane?
Oh God, where are you in that abuse?
Oh God, where are you in my pain?
God D@#^ you!

3. Oh God, I'm broken for you.
Oh God, I don't understand but I'm searching for you.
Oh God, I am desperate for you.
Oh God you are my God and I will ever praise you. No matter what goes on in this world I will desperately cry out, Oh God.

Three types of Oh God. Two lead to cursing. One leads to reverence. Where are you with your use of Oh God?

Thought of the Day

Speaking of tragedies in our lives, Billy Graham said: "Times like this will do one of two things: They will either make us hard and bitter and angry at God, or they will make us tender and open, and help us reach out in trust and faith. I pray that you will not let bitterness poison your soul, but that you would turn in faith and trust to God, even if we cannot understand. It is far better to face something like this with God's strength than to face it alone and without Him. My prayer for you today is that you will feel the loving arms of God wrapped around you, and will know in your heart that He will never forsake you as you trust Him."

- Billy Graham, speaking at the memorial service for those lost in the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I slept with the windows open and the ceiling fan on low and I slept all night without waking even once.  It felt so good.  Right now, it's 66º and only going to the low 80s today.  Not too bad for a day in June! 

I have a couple of errands to run this morning and then I have to keep my promise to give the doggies a bath.  I didn't get around to that yesterday.  I did all the laundry, including bathroom rugs and a load of towels and one dog bed.  And I made a pot of chili and shared it with the neighbors who helped me weed and who do the driveway in the winter.  Taking care of the bed breakdown and making the bed twice, took some of my time.

I hope Everyfriend has a wonderful day full of whatever makes you happy.

Amy

Good morning everyone.
In a hurry this morning to get everything ready for the yard sale...hope we have a good turn out.

Jane, glad you have a new bed to rest your head and I just bet the doggies are just as happy with it as you are!!

June, so glad to see you back...take it slow no rushing it.

Joan, thank you for breakfast , will grab a bun as I head out to get the tables ready.

Enjoy your day everyone,.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

I do not see Jackie.Hope everyone is in good health and spirits. I am going back to couch for a while then after I eat I am going to shop and work on new bee hives.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  That was quite an ordeal you had with your bed.  Once you and the doggies had a place to sleep, it was good you slept all through the night.

Amy--Good morning.  Good luck with your yard sale.  I've never had one.  It seemed like it took so much time and effort the the few $$ my neighbors made having them.

Good morning, Lloyd.  Take it easy working outside on new bee hives.

I pray June is having a good night's sleep after her hospital stay.

Has anybody heard from Sun?

phyllis

I'm so happy you are back, June, and sounding like your self again.  Take it easy for a few days and get yourself back on a good schedule for eating.  Fairly often I will eat a bunch of potato chips or Fritos just because I am craving salt.  As the tortoise said, "Slow and steady wins the race."  So, don't be in too big a hurry to get back to "normal".

Jane, I know the bed situation was not funny for you at the time but it made me giggle.  :rotflol:  Glad your kids had that extra frame to help you out with.  Doubly good because it helped solve a problem for them, too.

It wouldn't have mattered what kind of bed I had last night, or even where it was placed, I slept so good and didn't wake up until nearly an hour later than my usual time.  I didn't have a good night on Thurs. night so I was catching up.

No yard sales for me either, Joan.  Too much work and didn't like having people paw over my things even if I no longer wanted them.  My son and dil have them fairly often.  It gives them an excuse to go shopping for MORE things! 

Sunny, hot, and humid today.  Summer weather has finally shown up in NC, I guess.
phyllis
Cary,NC

angelface555

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

I need to clarify the appointment thingy.  It is nothing new or dealing with my "latest".  It is just the normal "followup" routine we all go through and it seems I have more doctors anymore than the normal bear.  I had to laugh, last night got a call from an old friend and I ask him what he had been up to and he said not much just doctors appointments.  ;D ;D  I told him I was in that same club.  Danny is 88
and will "maybe" stop by on his way home from a reunion North of here.

June, you do bring some good news by being back where you belong, home.
Now stick to a good diet and let them do the cooking.

Wife is not in a good mood with me, I woke her telling her she had greeting this morning at church, she reminded me that it was Saturday......... :sulk:

Coffee is ready, who wants a cup?

Gloria

Good morning everyone,  hope you are all fine and dandy on this beautiful morning. Today the weather is supposed to get hazy hot and humid.

MARY ANN  they plan on moving in September.

LARRY  I know I cannot get that portable  hose thing into a window.

JOAN  wow good thing Joe only got one of those moth balls.

HAL  thanks.

JEANNE  would have loved seeing those birds playing with mothballs. Smell did not bother them.

JUNE  good to see your post and know you are home again.

JOAN  I like Three “Oh God's” Not the third one though. Thank you for today's goodies.

AMY  good luck with your yard sale, hope you sell every thing.

PHYLLIS  the humidity here is making itself felt already.

Have to make out a shopping list. My son called and said to get list ready and he will go to the market for me. He is always doing something to help me.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning Phyllis.  GREAT you slept so well last night.  In Arkansas I had a friend who had a garage sale every year--and complained every year.  She told tales of folks coming to her and wanting an item marked say $.50 reduced to $.25 because of things like there was a pulled stitch.  Guess some folks think they are shopping at a high end boutique.:)

Good morning angelface.

halkel--Good morning.  If I was your wife I'd be miffed at you, too.

Good morning, Larry.  It is HOT and HUMID here today.  I am glad I don't have to go out.

Gloria--Good morning.  It's too bad you don't have a/c that cools all of your apartment.  Sure is nice that your son does your grocery shopping.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is already 82 degrees and not even 10 am and we will get over 90 this afternoon as we did yesterday.  I just got back from  a quick trip to Walmart to pick up a prescription. 

Yesterday, we went to Ruby Tuesday's for our main meal of the day.  I enjoyed the salad bar and Pat had a chicken dish.  The rest of the day was quiet and restful.  I have already taken care of the outside work of watering my plants so should be able to stay in the rest of the day.  Not exciting but enjoyable and appreciated after what seemed like a busy week.  I have decided not to call the Motor Club until next week to tend to the battery problem although may request my son take out the battery and we can take it to Advance Auto and have it checked and replaced. He seems to enjoy doing this type of thing. 

Amy, I hope your garage sale went well.  We did not have good experiences with them and won't be having anymore. 

Hal, you are doing good work on your cardio therapy.  Is your therapy done with a group of folks at the same time for exercises?  I found it it was easier to be a part of a group than doing everything by myself.  I loved the Rules of Golf that you shared with us. 

JaneS, I bet you would much prefer having the china and gold flatware go to your granddaughter than having the money.  Pat and I often talk about what will become of our China and Crystal that we have had since we got married as our son has several sets of dishes already.  The Silverware that Pat's folks gave us as a wedding present were stolen in a house break in and the what we got to replace it was no where near the quality of the first set.   

Jeanne, maybe those grackles had moths and were grooming with the moth balls to get rid of them. :)

Callie, that smoke detector alarm is really loud.  This house has them in every room except the laundry and bathrooms.  Pat has of yet to set one off from kitchen activity. 

June, welcome back.  I can relate to your Sodium problem as that is what put me in the hospital a couple of years ago.  Since you fight high blood pressure I doubt that your doctor told you to eat salt.  That was what I was told on discharge. 

halkel

Larry, it is Don (Radioman) who is working on the tread mill for his heart condition.

CallieOK

Good Morning,

:balloons:, There's June!    Sometimes, I wonder about all these dietary restrictions we're "advised" to heed.  More than once,  my potassium has been too high because I was trying to eat all those things we're supposed to eat to keep it up.

:walkwhistle:  It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood......  but it was a short night.

Both games in the College Softball World Series went into extra innings and Miss Emily didn't get here until nearly 1:00 a.m.   I dozed in the recliner but wanted to see her before we both went to bed.
She had to be back at the stadium at 9:00 a.m.

The muffins were a hit so I guess they were worth setting off the smoke alarm.  Soooo glad some of you got a chuckle from Janie's and my predicaments.

(Hey, Janie - wanna take our Act on the road?   :rocker:   :nanadance2:  :lol2:)

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.

Sandy

Good Morning from the beautiful
warm, slightly cool, dry rocky coast
of Maine.

The hot and humid weather is not due here
for at least another week.   June is our
most beautiful month here in the North
East.    But of course,  it passes too quickly.

Sad to hear  that "The Greatest", 
Muhammad Ali,  has passed away at 74 ... 
So sad.   

What a man,  what a hero!   

I wish everyone a very good weekend!
Sandy
:coolsmiley:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JoanFL

Larry--I wrote to you before you even posted.  Wonder how that happened?

Good morning, Callie.  Both you and Miss Emily had a short night.

Sandy--You know from experience how many H & H months we have here in FL.  Enjoy this month that you say is so nice up your way.

Sandy

I never realized just how much I
enjoy the "change of seasons",  even if
some of them I don't care for. 

I realized this most when I spent a year
in the North West,  Port Townsend, Washington. 

We never needed AC for Summers never got
out of the 70's ...   and the Winters were
dry and foggy and never got lower then the 40's. 

In Port Townsend we didn't get the rain,
because Port Townsend was in the
Olympic Rain Shadow ...
http://www.olympicrainshadow.com/olympicrainshadowmap.html

I really enjoyed the Spring/Summer,  but the Fall
and Winters were boring at best.    Dark,  gray... and
very cool.       

As I have mentioned many times,  I loved
Florida in the deep Winter Months of November
thru March ...       I would have made a
fabulous "Snow Bird"

:banghead:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JaneS

Callie, shall I drive or will you...or should we get a bus and a driver?

Phyllis, it wasn't funny at first and I didn't even intend to say anything here about the broken bed but when I saw Callie's post (and I giggled about it) I had to let her know she wasn't alone!  And when I finished writing and reading, I was chuckling, too.  I sent a text to both my daughter and son asking for help.  My daughter called immediately with her solution and they both came right over.

June, I hope you are resting and taking it easy and doing exactly what the dr. told you to do.  We need you right here with us.  And I hope your bed doesn't break!

Vanilla-Jackie

LLoyd, I am here, thank you for asking about me, all is fine, just not spent so much time on the computer, more playing catch up on recorded tv programmes.....

Junedrabek, good to see you back where you belong...
I found a seamstress for taking up hems of my couple of maxi jersey skirts and very long length dressing gown, it is booked in for next Saturday, got a bit of travelling to do but I feel I picked the right person, the right place, did check out a lot of others that I had the sense to phone a library where they hold a weekly knit and natter, just on a whim that someone will know of a person that does clothing alterations, and a haberdashery type shop, but ruled those out, as the shop wanted me to drop clothes in and leave them there without meeting the person doing the work....
A bit more on the village child murder.....As usual they were not both child's parents, the mother was but not the father, he was mothers partner....we hear so much of these sad stories, most often it is the partner, or stepfather......R read a piece from our today's local paper.....back in March this year child was in hospital having " 20 "stitches put in his face, told It had been caused by a cut plate.....guess it wont be long before the full horror of this sad tale comes to light....
Now who is the bed breaker? I can just visualise someone playing trampoline ontop of their bed....ha ha, some adults just never grow out of there childhood, do they? ;)
It was sad to hear the news of Cassius Clays death this morning.....
Callie K, believe me, you are not alone, R has set our smoke alarm off twice already, and that is in less than 2 months.....I couldn't breathe for the amount of fat that was filling through every room....then there was the bathroom flood........I'm just waiting for his next trick.... ::)
" There is no present like the time "

June Drabek

Good Morning to all my wonderful friends..true gifts of our loving Father. I love you all.

I had a wonderful shower and shampoo, headed for bed and a wonderful deep sleep. Woke feeling renewed, but cautious. Now enjoying all your dear posts.

Janie, I think all we people, old and young alike, keep God so busy healing our hurts, he doesn't have time to fix beds, but He does take time to direct other to do the duty. How often do you launder those doggies? I have read that it should not be done too frequently, as it dries out their skin and makes them itch. Am I correct ?

Callie, I was told that I need to gain, weight, and yet I should look at my plate daily, and see that is is half filled with vegetables. I wonder which vegetable contains a lot of fat ? How can the body need sodium but we should not use salt ? How can I eat a banana a day and still be low on potassium ? I think the medical profession is not very well informed. But I should not judge them…they did get me healed up and home.

Sandy, and Ali was a really GOOD person too. He didn't seek adulation, he knew himself what he was and he was content. A good father too.

Janie, I am doing my best to behave, and I think when someone says "how are you feeling ?" And I give them a happy body wiggle that makes them smile, it says it all. Makes both of us feel better.

Vanilla-Jackie, thank you friend, I really do feel a part of our cyber family, and it is good to be back with you all.

Just got a call from our clinic downstairs..I have some meds to pick up..ta-tat.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

Sandy--I wouldn't like to live in the NW where they get so much rain and/or dark grey days.

Janie--I think you and Callie should have a BIG red RV for your "road show".

Vanilla-Jackie--You sure are doing a good job finding the services you need.  I've never set off the smoke alarm in this house, but many times I did in Arkansas.

June--I'm so glad you're home and healing.  Take it easy and try to eat the way you were told.

JaneS

June, the doggies only get a bath about every two weeks....when Mickie smells bad and Annie looks dirty.  And I use a special medicated shampoo that I got from the vet.  You are right.  Bathing them too often does dry their skin and make them itchy. 

angelface555

I was told by a doctor and by a nutritionist, because of my serious allergies,  to use a diet form called Clean Eating which is very similar to both the Meditrainum Diet and the Dash Diet. It is NOT a diet but a way of eating and is both inexpensive and healthy.  It is the way our ancestors ate for centuries. Basically, you take a plate and divide it in half. The one-half you fill with fruit and vegetables and you divide the second half in two. One-half is lean protein and the other is whole grains.

Even the government has dropped the pyramid and gone to my plate version and this is supported by the Diabetes Council, American heart Association, and the US Cancer Institute. You drop convenience and fatty foods and some white foods which are not good for you such as white bread, an almost entirely chemical food.

You can eat healthy, stay within a food budget and keep the majority of your money you wasted on junk. There are scads of information sites on the web. Just remember most of it is geared to getting you to purchase their usually unneeded products. No special foods or appliances or tools to buy and everything is available in your local market.

CallieOK

Callie, shall I drive or will you...or should we get a bus and a driver?  I like Joan's suggestion of a big red RV!  While we're at it, why don't we get a steward to do the cooking and serving?   :cheers:

June,  my Mother's doctor was always impressed with what she told him what she was eating - until he discovered she simply was not eating enough of it. I don't remember if he suggested anything for when she was living alone but I could see a difference when she  moved to Assisted Living and was going to the dining room for all meals - even though she had some issues that limited her diet.

ESPN is broadcasting the College Softball World Series.  Miss Emily's Mom posted a screen shot she'd "lifted" showing Emily sitting back of the divider between the workers and the playing field.  I'm sure it was a quick look but.....hey!  my granddaughter's been on national TV!   :thumbup: