Random Image

horse3.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of August 21

Started by JoanFL, August 21, 2016, 04:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

Only in the summer, Joanie.  In the winter, I eat all this stuff and I expand into the "dining" room!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone.

On the fly this morning heading to the city to take dh to the hospital for a test.
Temp is 42 here so nice for sleeping!

Joan ,thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

Good morning, All.  I'm up and have had my first cup of coffee so  I'm awake.  Have read all the "doings" of my friends here but will save any comments till later.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.
Online Jane be careful with the expanding you will have to buy new clothes,
Bis sure takes good care of us.
Amy sure stays busy, hop your hubby has good result's with his test.
we have the water back in house(temp fix) have one segment to replace permanent and most all will be new peck line.
sure was good to have a shower and get the stink off of bode before going to bed. night before last just slept what i could in recliner (not good). Have a great day everyone.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  Travel safely, and I hope your husband's test results are good.  If it was 42° here, I'd have the furnace on.

Phyllis--Good morning.  I've had coffee and am going to fix my breakfast very soon.

Good morning, Lloyd.  I know you are glad to once again have water in the house.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  When I checked the weather forecast earlier this morning it said we had 96% humidity and no chance of rain today or for the next several days. It is not suppose to be as hot today as over the weekend. This will be our usual Monday with my noon meeting and then Pat's 4 pm appointment with the chiropractor.  I plan on doing some cooking today as we have eaten up all of the leftovers.

Hal, for the last couple of years my wife has become like yours just not up to doing a lot of cooking.  We do try to eat a lot of salads and have a vegetable or two with our main meals along with a protein.  I think we will be eating more fish since I found the Tilapia at COSTCO.  I am thinking that I will suggest having a salad supper tonight with canned salmon. 

Joan, your Dad was a good example of what we can do when we have to under given circumstances.  I don't mind the work but just don't have much energy anymore.  However, resting a few minutes seems to restore me for a little more work. 

Mary Ann, the only remembrance I have of my Dad cooking was to pop some popcorn in an old fashioned popper that had the handle on top that you stirred as the corn popped.  I still think that is the best.  However, now it is microwave popcorn although we seldom have it. 

Callie, I bet your Dad would have stepped up and done the cooking if necessary.  Like a lot of things our first attempts will likely not be things of beauty.  If anyone comes and stays a week with us they will have to pitch in and help.  My SIL is the only one coming to visit for any length of time and she is no trouble.  In fact, she is a great cook. 

JaneS, getting things ready at the same time is a bit of a problem with me as well, although the microwave saves the day often. 

June, I like the Jacquie Lawson cards and there sure a lot of them.  I am glad you rest as you need to do so.  That program certainly doesn't sound like something older folks would enjoy.  Have you thought of asking Dan to pick your computer with an extension cord so the plug would be at the level you sit to plug and unplug.  When we moved here I set my office up so that everything was handy without having to get down on the floor or under my desk. 

Shirley, nice of your Dad to always have something to share with company and he obviously felt that apples were something he did well and would be enjoyed.  Nice of you to do the more difficult cooking for your parents.  That RV isn't worth your getting sick over.  Your days are too important for you to spend them fretting over a piece of metal.  Not all of our decisions turn out to be good ones but we did the best we could at the time and with the knowledge we had. 

Amy, it will be quite a few weeks yet before we have a night at 42 degrees. 

Mary Ann

Last night it was 56 degrees when I went to bed and this morning it was 52 degrees.  Good sleeping weather.

Larry, we had a popcorn popper like yours, loaned it to a neighbor who said it burned out and they threw it away.  I don't remember what we did after that but we did have popcorn.  And, yes, we now use microwave popcorn - when we have popcorn and that is seldom.

Larry, you want to be wary of extension cords.  If you are using regular cords (very thin), they may not be able to carry the wattage of a computer - and I forget how many watts the computers are.  A "too small" extension cord would not only burn out the cord, but would do damage to the computer.

Mary Ann

JaneS

I'm back home with the red raspberries.  My plan was to pick two boxes and that would give me enough to make a batch of jam with the ones I have in the freezer from earlier in the season and some to just eat.  But they were so plentiful and so easy to pick that I came home with 5 boxes.  Sounds like a good day to bake something with raspberries.

I'm going to give the doggies a snack, eat some lunch and get busy.  I'll put a few raspberries in the hidey hole if anyone wants any.

June Drabek

Good Morning Dear Hearts. I am having a great start to my day. I hope I can retain it all day long, and into the tomorrows. I would like to report what I read, with the hope that it would help any of you, my beloved friends.  Here goes……..

"Trust me, and don't be afraid. I want you to view trials as exercises designed to develop your trust-muscles. You live in the midst of fierce spiritual battles, and fear is one of Satan's favorite weapons. When you start to feel afraid, affirm your trust in me. Speak out loud if circumstances permit. Resist the devil in My name and he will slink away from you. Refresh yourself in My holy Presence. Speak or sing praises to Me, and My Face will shine radiantly upon you.
   Remember that there is no condemnation for those who belong to Me. You have been judged NOT GUILTY for all eternity. Trust Me, and do not be afraid, for I am your Strength, Song, and Salvation."    Sarah Young.

I pray I offend no one, but had the urge to share. Now it is time to have a bite to eat, then get on with the day. I may go down to see the movie at1:30. "The long, long, trailer". Depending on whether I fall asleep or stay awake. One never knows….. :)

As long as we are here, let's dance.

Lindancer

almost noon,  High breeze blowing through the house, very low humidity.

I have to go grocery shopping, I called my friend, but she is not home, so will go the back way on my own.

Joan, my 2nd choice I;ll take a blueberry muffin, but at Stop and Shop, I will buy a cranberry.  thanks

Will be glad to see Gloria back.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

I had a note from Patricia/Angelface that her monitor is broken and she will not have a replacement until Wednesday.  She did not want anyone to be alarmed by her absence.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,  from the
warm and sunny,  rocky coast of Maine. 

I  was up very late last night ordering me a    Nexus 5X Smart Phone,
from Google Project Fi ... 
Fortunately for me my daughter Erin has one and
she absolutely loves it.   

I had to get rid of my
smart phone about 3 years ago
(after I came off the road)
and I really miss it ...

So I am very excited about getting me
a new one.    And very lucky to have
Erin here to help me get acclimated to
using one again.     

I was up very late,  so I suppose today I
will need a nap... 

I hope that everyone has a good day.
Sandy
:heli: 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JoanFL

Larry--My dad did remind us that when one HAS to do something, they somehow figure it out.  He cooked simple meals, but they were nourishing.

Mary Ann--It's very, very seldom we get temps that low at night--even in the winter.  Thanks for the info about Angelface's misfortune.

Janie--Thanks for the raspberries.  I'll get some from the hidey hole and have them with my lunch.

Linedancer--Drive carefully when going to get groceries.

June--Thanks for sharing.  I hope you enjoy the movie.

Sandy--Good luck with your new phone.

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Great-niece arrived safely after a very long drive.  We don't know each other very well but she is delightful - and a "talker" - so I'm sure we'll be well acquainted by the end of the week.

Hal, she said she had to wait until the streets had cleared of rainwater before she left whatever part of Austin she lives in.  Wish she could have brought some with her!

Larry,  I was speaking of my husband re: the cooking - not my Dad.  Good Gracious,  except for a few years in a boarding house while he was in college, he went straight from his mother's house to married living - in the same town - and I don't think he even knew how to boil water!!!!

He was not a handyman and my mother did not identify herself by her housekeeping skills (neither do I).  She was an excellent cook but not a creative one and she didn't bake anything but cobbler (NO pies!!) and, occasionally, cupcakes  However, the cookie jar was always full and she always made gingerbread boys for my class at Christmas time.  I took some to a class reunion and most of them remembered those.

JanieS,  you and my daughter-in-law would make a good pair!  She has spent the summer canning and freezing vegetables and fruit - and making several kinds of jelly.  Haven't heard if she's made the Christmas pickles.  I turned that job over to her several years ago.

Pork roast and sweet potatoes are in the slow cooker for a family dinner tonight.  Did I mention that gr-niece's mom will be here overnight on her way home to Phoenix from Nashville?  I decided the "locals" might as well join us!!

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.

JaneS

Callie, I think I might have an heir to the pickle making.  My granddaughter has ventured into dill pickles (he favorite) and she was asking questions about other kinds of pickles this weekend.  She better hurry!  We don't know how much time any of us have left.

Carol

Back to reality today after prepping two days for lots of company and fun yesterday.  Relatives and friends came specifically so we could introduce them to each other.  It was so much fun and easy because our family did all the cooking and entertaining.

Don is working on electronic issues - he contacts the company and no one returns his answers.  We have several things going on in the house and each problem is one that has never happened before  - so the plumber says on the bathroom sink issue and the electronics have never had that problem before they insist.  So it goes.

Jenny - I have been fortunate to have been to that building in London and saw three plays on three visits.  Our daughter was at the London Economic school one year and we ended up walking out on an anti-Margaret Thatcher play because of the never-ending cursing.  It was plain stupid and sorry we spent the money on tickets.  Otherwise, saw Phantom and Cats.  My parents looked like they tolerated Cats but didn't understand all of it.  Loved the music from the last two. 

Laundry and dishes are done and put away.  Tuesday is the quilting group here - my back is giving me fits today so just have to work around that fact.  I gave one DIL my dehydrator because she has a garden - expecting to see some herbs. 

Best to all. 

JaneS

Carol, give her a nice set of herb keeper jars with your name on them.

JoanFL

Callie--Enjoy your time with your great niece and getting to know one another.  It's nice that her mother can join you for supper.

Janie--Good there is a heir to the pickle making.

Carol--How nice the family can get together.  Too bad you overdid and are suffering today.  Hopefully Don can get the electronic issues worked out.

halkel

Afternoon All!

Well got my PT over with, came home rested a big, it is really surprising how out of shape a man can get.  I actually broke a sweat this morning and what they wanted me to do was not much.

Also got my checkbook balanced and cleaned up so email. 

I see everyone else has been busy too. 

Have a great day.

JaneS

The red raspberry jam is done.  Now...what to do with the rest of the berries?  That is, besides eating them.  Any ideas anyone?

CallieOK

Quote from: JaneS on August 22, 2016, 04:45:09 PM
The red raspberry jam is done.  Now...what to do with the rest of the berries?  That is, besides eating them.  Any ideas anyone?
:yes:  My mailing address is on the way.   :woohoo:

Shirley

I got something so funny (I thought) today, friend was laughing so hard I couldn't understand her so she sent it e-mail...  came to share it with you but after reading June's beautiful offering (thank you June) I am afraid mine will really offend.  Not my intention.... but someone remembered the phrase... "the devil made me do it".... so we will not whack old Shirley for passing this on, okay?   :crazy2:

William Golding: British Novelist, Playwright & Poet: 1911-1993
I think women are foolish to pretend they are equal to men.  They are far superior and always have been.  Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater.  If you give her sperm, she will give you a baby.  If you give her a house, she will give you a home.  If you give her groceries, she will give you a meal.  If you give her a smile, she will give you her heart.  She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.  So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit.

And now on with my day!  Jane, I have not been able to get near a raspberry for more than 60 years.... so silly to carry on anything that long, but just a whiff or speck of flavor hits my taste buds & my insides heave.  They are beautiful this year and seems all the stores are having demonstrations & sales.  My hat is off to you for keeping up the traditions! 

Callie, did you enjoy the few days/evenings of cooler temps?  I think the worst of summer is over but sorry to go back to normal weather.  No rain here... couple days ago when everyone else was flooding we got about an inch & half at our house.  Was not too much to make the river bed wet so went on down & fed the fish. 

I am so anxious to get on the road & play with my toy.... and make sure it really is fixed.  If I come back & don't have to buy a new tire I will be happy. 

Hal, good work with the PT..... I did a lot of reading about things we could do to keep strong when my father decided he wasn't going to move any more.  He refused to make any effort to keep his muscles strong and 7 months before he died, he faced his worst fear of having to go into full care.  His muscles wouldn't support him, his brain was a sharp as ever and there was nothing we (his kids) could do to help.  I know I get on the soapbox about keeping muscles strong but his situation was so avoidable.... and I did do a lot of crying for him.  Keep up the good work!       :tiredtread: :clap:

JoanFL

halkel--I bet the PT will be more tolerable as time goes on.

Janie--How about making some cobblers and freezing them?

Shirley--Golding had it just about right.:)  Hopefully you can get out and test your toy soon.

June Drabek

Tisie, thank you, and thank you for the good hearty laugh.

Hal, I think I know just how you feel. I have never had physical therapy, but it takes so little to make me so very tired. Life keeps throwing us these curves doesn't it ? But we'll take it my friend and hopefully grow from it.

I went down for the movie..Lucy Ball and Desi Araz, in The Long, Long Trailer. It was a long, long movie, with absolutely no plot at all. Just a lot of inane things happening. I guess what could be called "slap stick" comedy. O, Well, at least I got a free ice cream bar.

Now I am home for the day with the exception of probably a few more walks before bed time.. see you later kids.

JaneS

Cobbler sounds good!  I also printed a recipe for muffins.  They freeze well.

I had to stop admiring the jars of beets and put them on the shelf in the storage room.  The jam is still sitting on the counter.  You aren't supposed to disturb it for 24 hours.  The last jar isn't completely full so I might have to sample that one.

Shirley, I'm so sorry that you can't abide red raspberries.  They are especially good and very large this year.  I went intending to get 2 boxes and I came home with 5.  The picking was so easy that I got carried away.

WM called me today and asked me if I could work 11 -3 tomorrow instead of 9-1 because one of the kid cashiers has a scrimmage in the afternoon.  I agreed to do that so maybe I'll get going in the morning and make some muffins....or a cobbler.

Carol

Jane:  Don't you need a muffin tester?  All of us are available. 

Joan:  I thought my back was getting better - today, helping Don move a t.v. to another room & lift it higher - well, good old Tylenol helped a lot.  We really do not like to ask the children for help.  It is alright, a nap helped too. 

I am thinking about that young man who won a gold medal in Rio and has ruined his life with an lie about being robbed at gunpoint.  He wasn't brought up properly - tell the truth and admit your wrong deed. 

JeanneP

Raspberries and Strawberry never did work for me in Cupcakes. Would not bake right. Blueberries work good and even cranberries. Think the R and S get to mushy. Could be me not knowing how to add them right.
JeanneP

JaneS

Muffin testers, be on the alert.  If I get them made in the morning, I'll put some in the hidey hole for you to try.

JeanneP, I don't know if they work for me either but I'm going to give them a try.  I have everything except the egg and the milk set out and ready to go.  The recipe says to "fold them in gently" after everything else is mixed.  So I'll be as gentle as I can.

Good Night Everyfriend!  And may God bless us, every one!

June Drabek

I too will join Janie in saying a very Good Night to all of you dear loved one. I went out for a standard walk before bedtime, and ended up with a good hours stroll around the grounds. It is a beautiful night, so mild and quiet. Everything is so well lighted,so no worry about falling or tripping. I feel refreshed and ready for bed and book.

May you have a blessed sleep this night and a happy tomorrow. Hugs, prayers and more Love. June