Random Image

SS-March2017

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for June 1, 2019

Started by so_P_bubble, May 31, 2019, 06:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. 65º and sunny supposed to be a possible thunder storm this evening and night. hope you all have a great day just as you like it. I had a good night's sleep,ready to eat morning food and have a relaxing day.

Lloyd

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It looks like we have a cloudy sky this morning and we are to have some cooler weather.  Yesterday seemed to be my day to redo my list of things I want to accomplish and then I reorganized it in my little Google Keep Memo type program so I could read it, organize it in easily used area such as I want to order this from Amazon and then check out local sources for a number of other things I want to get to make my new room easier to use.  My body may be failing a lot and I am very slow but my brain still works (most of the time) and I can think logically.  I do the planning and depend on my wonderful family and friends to make my plans works.  I do have to remain flexible as some of my ideas may not work well or someone suggests something better.  It is nice to be able to work at whatever pace is right for you and then have the luxury of just going and laying down to rest when needed.  How could have God blessed me in any better way in this lifetime and still leave the ultimate when God decides to call me home.

Yesterday afternoon Scott popped in to give me back the laptop he had been able to restore back to factory condition and setting it up again just like I want it is a fun thing to do. So now I can use my big computer here at my computer desk next to my bed or will be able to use the laptop on the bedside table while I rest and then take it out to the family room for the evening when things settle down here, which they are beginning to do.  Pat and I both just need a couple of days of quiet and rest, which this weekend is providing.

Mary Ann, for some reason Pat apparently hadn't thought about getting someone to do the ironing for her and it has been such a difficult and painful thing for her to do.  It didn't take too much arm twisting on my part for her to agree that is a good idea and I hope we soon have someone lined up to do it.  If nothing else we will start using the cleaners although I doubt they could iron her blouses to please her and that is basically what needs to be ironed. 

Amy, glad your area was able to miss the expected rain so giving you a day to do some of the outside things you wanted to do. I am still using my learner's permit in trying to learn how to manipulate this wheelchair as it seems the wheels are always going where I don't expect them do.  However, I am learning and the walls and doorways are too damaged and those are minor things that can always be fixed after I am through with this equipment.  Pat and I each own our rollators and the transport chair but all of the other equipment will, of course, be returned to Hospice to help someone else in the future.  Once a farmer's wife always a farmer's wife regardless of whether you live in a farm or in the city. 

Callie, I know the weather can play havoc with sports schedules.  I always dread it when I turn in to golf and see they are in a weather delay.  I am really not interested in watching last years matches.  I bet those "last winter projects" that didn't get done were really not all that important and can be done this summer (or not) just as well now as then. 

Jane, good timing with the dogs and the rain.  You must have a lot of influence with the big weather man upstairs to hold off on the rain until you were safely inside.  (Maybe this is going a bit too far.) I have three pair of glasses in the house with only one a bifocal with magnification in the lower part and the top part clear glass.  I have come to think of these as the best type for me now as seem to constantly putting the cheaters on and taking them off.  Fortunately I have a shirt pocket in every shirt but it still is a bit of a hassle. 

Shirley, I use that same technique and it usually works although occasionally I seem to have hit a key that erases what I was doing--very annoying.  I hope your granddaughter has a beautiful evening for her wedding today.  However, it will be lovely whether rain or shine.  It is fun to be able to be a "free spirit" and I feel that is what I am now having been told to do or not do exactly what I wanted.  I have always been someone who tried to follow the rules and now I get to make my own rules (however, I do have a wife but she is usually agreeable to what I suggest).  Aren't I a lucky person.  Like you I am going to enjoy each and everyday I have left.  I know some will be better than others but that is just the way life is suppose to be.  As like you I also had the great opportunity to grow up in Missouri. I have a good friend and man I worked with over the years, who is a Catholic.  He sent me a beautiful card and note but said he hoped I wouldn't be offended.  Of course I am not offended as I don't have any special knowledge and what I now believe, hopefully based on wisdom from being older, and a little more study from the Bible, has changed many of my thoughts. The thought of doing something that brought pain and dishonor to my folks and especially to my grandmother, whom I still love beyond words, was something that helped me stay on my path and not have to follow the crowd.  You do give me some chuckles and they are always welcome.  I admire your willingness to try new things and now to "live your life" doing the things you enjoy. 

Lloyd, hope you don't have to wait too long for the passports but this is a big country, as you know, with a lot of places to enjoy before you can leave the country.  I have never had a passport and will never need one unless we get to the point that one will be required to get between States here in the USA. 

Amy, always happy when I read you at least plan a "day of rest" whether you take it or not. 

Roley, thanks for the new link and I hope to soon have time to go back and watch some of the links you have posted recently, probably watching using the laptop from my bed.

Gloria, I am sure that weather forecast is just what you wanted to hear.  I hope the rain leaves you along this evening.  There is no way I ever intend to just give up.  Tomorrow may just be a lot better than today perhaps.  I am already seeing that on some days I have a lot of shortness of breath and will have a lot of that heart related coughing and then the next day feel a bit stronger with less of these conditions to be accepted on that day.  There are also way too many dear around here.  Man has interfered with the natural balance of nature and this is one of the results.  Unlike you I never seem to run out of something to say as evidenced by most of my online postings.

Phyllis, sorry that you are having the summer doldrums.  I actually slept a little longer this morning than I have been doing.  Over the years we have had several homes with separate living rooms, which were seldom used.  Most people are just more comfortable in the places we are most comfortable and Pat and I have our family room/kitchen and dining and sun room all basically a big open area with some columns and the kitchen island to designate certain areas.

Joy

Good morning on this beautiful sunny morning.  Thunderstorms are predicted for later this afternoon.  I am hoping that I can get to sit outside even if it is just a short time.

I didn't sleep well last night, so wound up staying in bed a little longer, as I did go back to sleep when it was really time to get up.

I just wrote a long message over in the Soda Shoppe board. I did want to tell you that I have a new great-granddaughter,  born on Friday and named, Camila.  Not sure when I will get to see her, as they live in Connecticut.  I think my traveling days are very limited now, but I am still  hoping that maybe I might be able to go up to see her sometime.

But, I did want to say Good morning to Gloria, Roley, Amy, Lloyd, Jane, Phyllis, and Larry.

Shirley, I hope the this evening will be perfect for the wedding.  I am sure hoping that you will wear the bicycle helmet.  ( not to the wedding, tho) LOL  I know how "stubborn" you can be.  LOL.   But, I am still always in awe as to what all you manage to do.

I just wanted to make an appearance this morning,  and hope I can get back later.

Have a wonderful day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Amy

Larry, if I had to take this day any easier I wouldn't get out of bed! Took hubby out for tea/coffee twice!!! I had an afternoon nap and I have done nothing all day!! Just get meals and tea.

Shirley, I found our ride!! While having coffee we met a gentleman that had one of these..I think Janie would also enjoy one too!!

https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/

He said it belonged to his wife!!

Joy, congratulations on the new great granddaughter!! How many is this now?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

Am waiting to get dressed to go to the wedding so stopped to check what y'all are doing.  Joy, I am laughing so hard at the idea of wearing the helmet to the wedding... and will tell you I'm as likely to wear it there as EVER to wear it. Yep, am one stubborn old lady. Now, "picture it", the bride being walked down the aisle by her father & there stands Grammy with a bike helmet on!!!  I was reminded earlier today that, "we will be seated down front" (as normal family does).

Since I don't do Facebook I've been getting tidbits of info from my kids about the size of the wedding party. Hear tell maybe 10 bridesmaids & up to 300 invited guests?  I have no idea what to expect & how much has been told me to get a rise out of me.  :2funny:  This is not a "church" wedding but in one of those places the young people of today hold their big occasions (weddings, graduations, what ever"), with dinner following the ceremony. I have a pair of "heels" sitting out to wear but also a pair of dress flats that may win out. It is hot & humid (yes, Gloria, I am whining again~~) Since a dance is planned after, I chose to go with the 2 year old so can come home early.  :thumbup:  I really don't like the music of today.

I am not eager to go outside to get there, is a good half hour drive across town, being picked up by daughter, her husband & their 2 year old gr-daughter. This great-grand is the one that loves to talk all the time, big vocabulary & all the right facial expressions to go with the words. Betcha Grandad will be taking her out of the room during the ceremony, they adore each other. Her parents & older 2 siblings left very early this morning for DisneyWorld in FL. So far she hasn't seemed to miss them at all & sure SHE is the one having all the fun. Everyone is being cautioned to NOT mention the "D" word (Disney World), they went to FL;)  Heaven help us if she realizes where they really are. Will report in later (or not).

I love it, Amy, bookmarked to give a serious look! Got to rush now to be ready on time, did the purse change & forgot how long that can take.

Joy

Shirley, I am sure you are already at the wedding.  I had to laugh, also, as I noticed how that sounded after I went back and re-read what I had written.  I quickly did a quick  "edit".  We all will be anxious to hear all about it.  Have fun!!!

Amy, I now have 6 great-granddaughters, a great-grandson, and a step-great grand daughter.

I don't get to see any of them that much.  Four of them live in Connecticut, and the other 4 live about an hour from me.  They are all so busy.

We just had a short sound of thunder, and it was getting dark, but now the sun is shining, but it does look like it might be a few sprinkles,  Crazy weather !

I will soon need to decide what dinner will be.

Have a good rest of the evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Denver

Good evening, EVERYFRIEND. 

I must apologize for not posting in a couple of days.  I wrote a post and for some reason was unable to post it and I do not know why.  In trying different things I managed to loose it and even though I did copy it, it did not copy as I thought and there was no way to recover.  I was so frustrated as I had details of what all has transpired.....I just cried❣️

Then yesterday when I wrote up a less detailed version, and there was no way it would let me post it.  I do not understand why, but today I am on the newly opened up page and I am hoping the third time is the charm. 

My dad is still in the hospital.....however, it has been quite the roller coaster ride each day.  All the big todo over the brain bleed seems to have been a misread CT scan from the get go.  We could not get anyone to talk to us about it even though Diane sat in dad's room for hours on end waiting to talk to the doctor.  Come to find out the doctor came in very early on the first morning after dad was transferred to the second hospital and gave dad a report, none of which dad even remembered happing or what the doctor had said.  Unfortunately the nurses Diane ask about the day she was there all day kept telling her, "oh the doctor will be in SOMETIME to talk to you"...... My dad is very confused....he is sleeping a lot and at times he seems OK, and then the next he is not.  Yesterday morning Diane got a call from Dad sayin they were releasing him to go home!  Poor Diane nearly died of a heart attack, as she knew there is no wa6 she could possibly take care of him.  So she called to see if she could talk to the doctor, but of course he was no longer there, so she asked for a nurse to call her.  When someone did call, they confirmed he was to be discharged and Diane pleaded her case that she was told he was no way goin* to be sent home as he had to go for some physical therapy before he could every be released to home.  They would call her back.....hours passed so she headed for the hospital.  When she got there she said she HAD to speak to someone to understand how he could possibly be sent home.  In awhile a Internist came in he took one look at dad and said,  "there is no way this man can be discharge to go HOME today, He will be here at least 2 to 3 more days then he will be sent to a skilled nursing facility for at least a couple of weeks, then it will be determined what his needs will be!"

So now we are trying to see if and when we can get down there. 

I have been on the telephone with my brother for two plus hours, so I really must just try to post this. 

I hope yo7 all are doing well and I will check back later....

Jenn
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Jenny,  you certainly have a lot on your plate and I know it is hard being in Colorado when he is in Arizona.  I have no words of wisdom for you, but you do have my sympathy at your situation.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mary Ann

JaneS

JENNY, my thoughts and prayers are also with you!  I don't know how you are handling it al! 

AMY, I'll take one!  Where's the line?

We had rain off and on all day today and I decided not to go to the picnic.  Just getting from the car to the picnic area would have been bad and I've finally (almost) icked he cold I've been harboring to some degree most f the winter.  I just didn't feel like taking any chances.  So I made up a couple containers of my potato salad and delivered one to my good neighbor across the street and one to my son and family.  I got to see Sarah and she's recovering from the appendectomy but is still pretty sore.  She took the container and put it in the fridge and my son walked in, took it out of the fridge and started eating it.  While Sarah was talking she moved over to the cupboard, took out a dish and got herself some, too.  It won't last long at their house.

I hope there's no snow in Colorado tomorrow.  The kids are flying out to come home. 

I'm off to bed pretty soon so I'll bid you all Good Night.  I wish you a peaceful night and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, evey one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Shirley

I don't have my wits together to tell y'all about the wedding but can't hold off with my hug for you, Jenn. I can imagine the turmoil and fear of your father being released to go home.... really!!!  I'm sorry, I just think the hospitals are so rattled with pressure from insurance companies & Medicare they don't take time to even consider the patient! Do you have any info about the re-hab places in that area?  I'm guessing this is the time you may have to fly out to take charge, can Bob help with the kids for a week so you could do that?  Afraid it takes a family member that can stand up & scream for attention to get things worked out when in the "hospital control", even if to ask the question, "WHY".

When I arrived at the hospital when Dad had a bad stroke my sister & husband were sitting in the waiting room.... she explained they were going to run a test on his brain and was a 50/50 chance of killing him. I asked "WHY, can they help him by doing the test?"  She didn't say a word but jumped up & ran to the office & ordered them to not run it, they couldn't do any more for him no matter what test results would be! He survived for only a short time (days or weeks), but was taken off life support.

My sister was the one in charge as they got older, my brother that lived in the same town was not one to take charge of anything. My other brother & I lived too far but were there when needed. Dad's muscles & a broken hip had put him into a nursing home, he had one stroke that left him partially paralyzed & had difficulty eating. The "gag" muscles didn't work, but when we went to visit him after the first stroke I took him a serving of his favorite food, some "fried" apples. My sister fed them to him since she understood how & what to watch for so he wouldn't choke, but he was delighted to have them & managed to say "good".... still brings tears to remember that day. So, dear Jenny, I'm telling you all this because is scares me to think of you having regrets, you seem so very close to each other. Life isn't fair, I know.

I need to take care of cats, we didn't stay for the dinner because the 2 year old did not get a nap & was ready to go home to bed. The wedding was very nice, total of 8 bridesmaids.... nobody fell or got sick or passed out. I did wear heels & got away with it. After the ceremony I had to take off my corsage because my nose kept running... roses so near the nose just didn't work!  Turns out the planned honeymoon, already paid for, had to be called off because grad school for the bride started at the same time. Waiting to get into the next session would be a year, if she was accepted again. I will feed cats & go to bed. Fitbit says I got 5 hours & ?minutes sleep last night so I am already breathing like in deep sleep.

Yum, Jane, that potato salad sounds delicious.

roley

G'morning all. A brief 'thank you' to all who thanked and passed messages to me, I did reply to questions asked and I (Thought)it was attached to the last Walk I posted,but to my surprise only the walk appeared !, so sorry to Amy and others, I have no idea where the replies went or even if they exist in cyber space somewhere, so once again, sorry.
I would just like to add, our move is still ongoing, we are gradually emptying our three bed house of the things we no longer need (I hope) and packing the items that we do !, now everything is in the hands of the solicitors.
                                        Cheerio.  Roley  :thumbup: .

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Lovely sunny day with a bit of a breeze today. Will take hubby to his appointment in town ,stop at the garage as my oil light is back on and make an appointment with the chiropractor. Wood is all done and so is dancing the jitter bug with the tiller ,time to get an alignment for me!

Joy, thankfully those living far away can seen photos or maybe even skype with you to show how your great grands are growing.

Jenny, prayers for you and your family. Hope they can keep your Dad in for more that a couple of days. I know they kick people out here also ,need the beds for others.

Gloria, my Dad had the green thumb, we teased that he could even grow a plastic plant if given a slip from it.

Gosh time goes fast .or am I just getting slower???

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone. Peter I am glad things seam to be going well for you and gene. we are setting tight weighting for the Passports to come back so we can get to traveling.is mostly clear here an saying to get to the lower 80's. and get sever t storms late evening and tonight and tomorrow. Have a great day as you all like I hope.

Lloyd

JaneS

Good Morning Evryfriend! 

AMY, we used to kid that my Dad's green thumb went all he way up to his elbow....maybe even higher.  When my parents lived in an apartment that my inlaws owned, he took out his gardening needs on the yard behind the apartment building.  It was located right next to our store and the building that housed my inlaws apartment.  We knew that they also enjoyed the fruits of my father's labors when my father in law asked my Dad, "What happened to all your flowers?  I haven't seen any for a while."  (It was January).  My Dad just chuckled but the next time my FIL passed the rose arbor, there were roses on it.  My Dad never said much but he sure knew what action to take.

Gotta go take the doggies out.  They're getting antsy!  Enjoy your day!

phyllis

Just checking in.  Good morning!  All is well here and it will only be a normal Monday for me.

Amy, the Swiss Steak in the Instant Pot was delicious and tasted just like the dinners that I remember my Mom making in her old top of stove pressure cooker.  David liked it, too, so we will be having it again.  Don't know what I'll try next....maybe some applesauce. 

Jenny, I'm thinking about you and your Dad.  I'm so sorry that you are going through this anxious time right now.  It's too bad that the hospital doesn't seem to be handling the communications to the family very well.  I hope it, and your Dad, get much better soon.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Gone is  the sun, wind is still up though and temp is 40°F.

Phyliss , happy to read your Swiss steak turned out great. Bet you could cut the meat with a fork!

Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone, Finally had my 7 hours sleep last night and feel better this morning. This business of waking between 3 and 4 AM is not for me.

PHYLLIS  yesterday I was checking my contact list and deleting names of those no longer with us, like Joan, Hal, Bunnie and June and a few others that did not post here in the SS. Like in the Missouri discussion and PSP. So many gone and do not know if the have gone home to our Father or just got tired of their computers.

LLOYD  woke to sunshine here this morning after a few days of fog.

LARRY  with you talking about Pat ironing I thought of JOAN's book, we are retired, no more irong so she would give us demerits. Well now none of my clothes need ironing.

JOY  congratulations on the new great granddaughter. My traveling days are over, dislike even going to a son's at times even if I do enjoy being there. Just getting into a car is a job.

SHIRLEY  I never thought you were whining. I do get a chuckle with some of the things you say. Wish I was more like you. Hope you enjoyed the wedding. Is what passes for music these days to the young folks sounds more like loud noise to me.

JENNY  can understand why you are so upset. I often wonder if doctors are just too overworked or just do not care about their patients any more. Hugs and prayers for all of you.

JANE  no rain here yesterday, just a beautiful spring day.

I have to get a move on or my CNA will be here before I am dressed for the day.
Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. I can see the sun is shining as I look through the window that is right beside my big computer.  Pat put up curtains in here not too long ago and I had to tie one of the panels with a rubber band so I can see between our house and the neighbor and see a tiny portion of the street.  After all a fellow needs to keep and eye on his neighborhood.  I got up at 4 am again this morning as once again didn't have my bed set just right.  I will eventually get the patterns of up and down with this hospital bed. 

I got a lot of things done yesterday and will get quite a few more done today that I can do from my computer at a very slow pace.  My heart seems to have decided to act differently with some pounding in the chest upon exertion rather than angina pain.  I think it ma have to do with the heart valve that the doctor spent a long time listening to on my final appointment with her.  It is taking longer for me to recover my breath and regain a little energy.  At least I am all cleaned up for the day and have had my breakfast and morning pills and am dressed and can now just sit quietly here at my desk and take care  of some things.

Joy, I responded to your posting on the other board so won't repeat myself here this morning.

Amy, I applaud you on taking a nice and easy day.

Shirley, I am beginning to use Facebook to respond to comments made to me based on other postings and my response back to them.  Guess I need to find out how to use it in a better way.  I still will limit by list to people that I know as not interested in being able to say I have a 1,000 likes or people following me.  Good decision to miss the dance after the wedding.  I am with you in not caring for most of today's music.  That little one will get a lot of attention while her parents are away and she is really too young to get much enjoyment out of Disney World.

Jane, a wise decision on your part in skipping the picnic and protecting your health.  Nice of you to share the potato salad and nice to read that your DIL, although sore seems to be doing well. 

Shirley, I have a great advocate in my wife who doesn't mind taking control.  She did that with my Dad and has with me as I am not a very assertive person (know that is hard to believe from some of what I write) but it is true. I think many tests and procedures are done when there is no real reason other than to protect the doctor from some lawyer or the hospital pushing the staff to use the expensive medical machines and have many tests done. Again one of my joys right now is knowing I won't be subjected to any more medical tests and just let nature take its course.  I do have a special box in the refrigerator that Hospice provides and they want available if needed.  Otherwise we are to leave it alone and unopened.  To bad it was necessary to call off the honeymoon.  I hope they will still be able to have a nice trip sometime in the future.  They sound like very wise young people.

Roley, nice to see your moving is going well.  Isn't it a joy to discard so much "stuff" we have accumulated.  I am doing some that each day. 

Amy, no wonder you need to see the chiropractor.  Pat learned of a massage place that will do the massage while the person is sitting in a chair and will be making an appointment.  She had a series of massages over in Georgia.  If you need any lessons in going slow I am now an expert and my prices are right. 

Lloyd, sometimes the anticipation of what we will be doing, like traveling a lot, is a lot of fun.  I hope those late evening storms stay away from your area.

Phyllis, glad to read all is well up your way.  We have had some great meat prepared in the Instant Pot and it sure makes it tender, which I really like.

Gloria, I am still awaiting a seven hours of sleep night.  I usually sleep very well. It is not by choice that I am getting up around 4 am each morning but think that will soon be a thing of the past.  However, I do get more done although it takes me a long time to do anything now.  I sure hope I never get tired of my computers.  They have been a big part of my life since I retired so many years ago. For awhile Pat had no clothes that needed ironing.  However, she likes cotton things and has a number of blouses that need to be ironed.  I try to stay away from anything that requires ironing.

Amy

Folks are calling this Juneuary...to the north they had snow!! While I was at the garage the rain turned to hail, thankfully it didn't last long. Managed to get two batches of jam done, tomato plants covered as they are calling for frost tonight . Hubby cut the grass and I did the trimming. Now we are to have more rain tomorrow and Wed unless the weather man changes his mind.
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

All the talk about the Instant Pot has me thinking.... and then see that Amazon has one on sale right now (got to check to see if a "lightning deal".... here's the hype, so tell me if it is what y'all are using. Would this size cook a pound of pinto beans?  That's basically what I use my pressure cooker for (after boiling the beams for 15 min & throwing away the first water). I do love them cooked with ham shanks, clove of garlic, salt & pepper. Cornbread or biscuits top them off. My mother did not cook beans often but my husband's mother did, & her cornbread was made in a cast iron skillet so the it had a crunchy top when turned out. Yum!  I do make soups in the pressure cooker, cook the meat first & have the broth (less grease) to make stock.

Anyway, am concerned this size will be too small, can't visualize ... I ordered a stock pot one time & have to stand on the step stool to look down inside, well, almost. Here's the description:  Instant Pot DUO Plus 3 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer...is a deal of the day for $54.99.  Is that a good price & is it large enough?  Thanks... I'm bending.........

Johann Mc

I don't usually post in the Soda Shoppe but wanted you all to know that I got a call from one of Lindancer's relatives today saying that she passed away yesterday and I was on a list of people that she wanted them to call.  Her name was Gloria Hansen and she also went by DeAngel.  I never met her in person but we got to be friends when I was moderating the South Carolina forum on Senior Net.  She had grown up in Charleston, SC, and married her husband who was stationed at the Naval Base there during WWII.  They had retired to Long Island, NY, and he passed away several years ago.  They had lost both of their sons in accidents and I think it was a daughter-in-law that called me.  We had a great friendship and talked on the phone periodically and I will really miss her! I know she posted both here and in Norms's Bait and Tackle Shop and I wanted to be sure that her friends here knew.  I have no idea what her final arrangements were but I asked about memorials and the caller said that she left no instructions about preferred donations. 

JaneS

Another dear friend gone!  She was such a sweetheart and she stayed with us until the end!  I'll miss her.  May God bless and keep her!  She is surely with Him now!

CallieOK

I am so sorry to learn about Gloria.
Johann  thank you for sharing.

Johann Mc

Gloria had told me she had opted for Hospice Care.  That was about two weeks ago and we talked on the phone last weekend.  She felt very good and upbeat about her decision but I honestly didn't realize the end would come so soon!  She was another really special member of our Senior Net Community and she had shared many of her Charleston memories with me.

Wish I got to post here more often but these days I am a caregiver for my husband who is almost blind and very deaf.  He has very expensive hearing aids but can't remember how to adjust them now so we revisit the audiologist periodically.  He will be 90 on June 17th and I will be 85 in July.

Denver

Good evening EVERYFRIEND.

I AM SO very sad to read your post JOHANN regarding our GLORIA de's passing.  Thank you for letting us know😢

My Dad did not have the best day today, as he does not understand why he can not go home!  He was pretty uncooperative to every one that were trying to deal with him today😢.  Diane said they were pretty honest with him that if he does not cooperate with them to help him in these first three days that he will be sent to a nursing home and it will not be good.  Diane is very flustered with him and so sad that he was not cooperating at all today. 

JANE, I thought about your Family a LOT today and HOPED they got out of DODGE early in the day, as the weather was pretty rough here this afternoon.  I hope they are back home safe and sound and pleased with their Colorado vacation. 🥰

JUNEUARY....🤣🤣 AMY, that is a pretty descriptive way to explained how crazy the weather has been.

GLORIA, I honestly think that many good and caring doctors are just no longer able to do their jobs due to the restrictions that our insurance companies have put on  them.  I do not understand how there can be SO MANY cases of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.  Just the crazy things that have gone on with my dad is enough to scare one to death! 

PHYLLIS, I have never wanted to be the squeaky wheel, but the way I see it now, this might be the only way to get some straight answers from the medical profession. Happy your Swiss Steak turned out the way you hoped and you both enjoyed it.

SHIRLEY, I must agree that insurance companies are running the show and the doctors no longer can treat patients the way they feel they need to.  Very sad.  I hope we do get to hear more about the wedding.  I have though back so many times now thinking about what you said your dad did after his broken hip surgery and then how he ended up......it seems to be a repeat of what my dad has also done.  So sad.

I hope you all had a good day.  Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

My condolences to Gloria de's family.  I enjoyed reading her posts and exchanging various bits of information.  She was a great lady.

Shirley, the price is right because I paid $70 for our Instant Pot, but with the amount of cooking you do, a 3-quart is too small.  Tom is the cook here so there are just the two of us, or three if we have Dot over.  A six quart would be better for you and would be about the size of a large slow cooker.  Tom's son and wife have the six quart for the two of them as I don't think Alicia cooks much for the twins yet.  Tom has cooked a pot roast a few times and they have turned out wonderful - very tasty.

Mary Ann

phyllis

I am so sorry to learn that now Gloria de has left us.  She sounded so upbeat until a few days ago so it was kind of a shock to read about her.  Thanks for letting us know, Johann.

Shirley, I think that size Instant Pot is too small to cook a whole pound of beans.  Beans expand so much when cooked and also, they froth up a lot and could possibly clog the steam valve.  I bought the 6 quart and I'm satisfied that is the right size for us but, I like to "cook once and eat twice" so I always cook enough for leftovers. I have to stretch a little to see down inside the pot but the inner pot is easily removed using oven mitts so I can stir or turn meat more easily, if I want to.  It does everything just the way the top of stove cooker does except this is programmable so you don't have to watch it or set a timer and, of course, it does it faster than a slow cooker or simmering on top of the stove. As Amy said, "you don't have to babysit it". BTW, I bought my 6 qt. from Amazon and it was on sale for $74.  I thought it was a good deal.

I woke up at 3 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep.  Got up at 5.  After I eat breakfast and get the sheets and towels started in the washer I'm going to see if the recliner has any ZZZZZ's in it.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Good morning everyone.

I am so sad to read of Gloria's passing. What a great lady she was, I was thinking of her yesterday while doing the rhubarb jam as she had said she loved it. She was one lady you would want as a neighbour and friend. Thank you Johann for letting everyone know.  I can relate on the hearing aids..the next pair my husband gets are battery free!! Amazing technology of today!

Sun is shining this morning ,temp is 40° F and they are calling for more rain later in the day.Will try and finish up the flower beds  after taking hubby out for his morning coffee.

Shirley, I just cooked 1 1/2 lbs of pinto beans in the IP  on Sat  and they turned out great. Mine is a 6 qt duo and I just love it..I do think the 3 is too small as others have said.

Jenny, hope today is a better day for your Dad and everyone involved. Prayers heading your way.

Phyliss, that is my thoughts also...cook once and eat twice. You did get a good deal on yours. I like the duo as you can make yogurt in it...so easy to do.

Bubble, thank you will pop over to the site when done here..

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean

phyllis

David took this on the cell phone through the window overlooking the garden.  It turned out pretty well.  She has eaten all of the begonias and wood violets and hostas.  She will probably move on to greener pastures now.

(Bubble, I hope this is sized right.  I've forgotten everything about editing photos!  (sigh and grumble) )

phyllis
Cary,NC