Random Image

Sundown Storm Raging

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:59:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-05-02, 00:44:41
Oldiesmann: Relevant links can be found in topics in the Homemaking, Food & Garden board. I'll see about moving them over to articles here when I get a chance.

2024-05-02, 00:07:54
Oldiesmann: Found them. They're on the CP site: https://www.christianphotographers.com/recipes/recipeindex.html

2024-05-01, 23:57:58
Oldiesmann: I'm not finding anything related to recipes on the site. I'll do some digging through the Internet Archive and see if I can dig them up. It's possible that got lost in the big server crash back in 2016

2024-05-01, 17:21:56
JeanneP: I am trying to get into the Archives of the Recipes that where moved over from Senior net few years ago, Can't find them

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

"Just Plain Old Music"

Started by RAMMEL, June 12, 2016, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

That reminds me of Susan Boyle's audition back in 2009. Those "got talent" shows can be quite entertaining.

Here's a funny one from 1980 by the Monty Python crew.

Oldiesmann

Awfully quiet in this topic the past few days. Time to change that with one of Spike Jones' signature songs. Spike was far from the first one to record this (his version was released nearly 12 years after the original), but his version is probably the most well known one today. This was written to celebrate the end of Prohibition in the US in 1933.

RAMMEL

Spike Jones?  Speaking of, --- does anyone remember this one? I had a copy of it but it met an untimely death from a distance of about four feet ( straight down ).
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

An extremely popular song during the War years - the early 1940's.  There are still some of us who remember singing that song on the elementary school playgrounds of America.  Wouldn't be considered pc in today's world, but things were different then.   

Oldiesmann

So much of the propaganda stuff created during WWII would be considered offensive these days - especially since relations with Japan and Germany (and many of the former Soviet countries as well) have changed since then.

Here's a classic from 1956. Joe "Fingers" Carr was the alias of songwriter/producer/musician Lou Busch. He released a lot of honky-tonk piano records under that name. This song started life in France under the title "Les lavandiƩres du Portugal", though in the English-speaking world it's best known as an instrumental (especially due to the popularity of this recording).

Oldiesmann

A nice dixieland jazz version of the theme from From Russia with Love from 1964. The Village Stompers were an American dixieland jazz group based in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York. They are best remembered for the song "Washington Square", which hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in late November of 1963.

RAMMEL

"Washington Square" - An interesting place to visit.

Thake a tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVLtcvSh5bc
Close to NYU, and loaded with radical "history".
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Oldiesmann

In Germany the song was about an old tramp from Maryland ;D

Oldiesmann

Just found this. The Cowsills entertaining the troops live in 1968 with their smash hit "Indian Lake". This was uploaded to YouTube a couple of weeks ago by a company called Reelin In The Years Productions, though I have no idea where they got this or where it was filmed. Great quality for 56-year-old footage.

Marilyne

I remember The Cowsills, but don't recall any of their music?  I don't think they were very popular here in California?  Interesting seeing the soldiers.  This would have been right about in the middle of the Vietnam War.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Marilyne on April 28, 2024, 06:26:47 PMI remember The Cowsills, but don't recall any of their music?  I don't think they were very popular here in California?  Interesting seeing the soldiers.  This would have been right about in the middle of the Vietnam War.

They had two other hits besides "Indian Lake" - "The Rain, the Park & Other Things" (#2 in 1967; better known by its chorus of "I love the flower girl") and this classic from 1970 (also #2). They were the inspiration for The Partridge Family, though they didn't appear on the series reportedly because Barbara Cowsill didn't like the idea of having Shirley Jones portray the mother of the group.

Oldiesmann

One of the greatest songs of the 60s by one of Australia's most famous bands. This was live from their farewell tour in 2013. Lead singer Judith Durham was nearly 70 at the time but still had a great voice. Sadly she died about a year and a half ago at the age of 79.

Oldiesmann

News has come out this morning that the great rock guitarist Duane Eddy has died at the age of 86. Here's his classic "40 Miles of Bad Road".

MarsGal

Sorry to hear that. This is one I have in my collection of Ghost Riders in the Sky

Marilyne

RIP Duane Eddie - born in a great decade, the 1930's! 
I've heard OF "Forty Miles of Bad Road", but never actually heard it until now.  I kept waiting for the lyrics, but I guess there aren't any?
I do remember The Seekers, and liked her voice. 

Oldiesmann

No, there are no lyrics. Most of what he did was instrumental

Oldiesmann

An unusual one from the equally unusual 1966 album Jan and Dean Meet Batman.

Marilyne

Happy Birthday, to Barbra Streisand, who turned 82 years old last week!   My favorite . . . The Way We Were, from the movie by the same name. 

Oldiesmann

Speaking of birthdays, happy 90th to Frankie Valli. Here's one of The Four Seasons' more obscure songs. This appeared on the B side of the "Walk Like a Man" single in early 1963. It was originally a hit for Billy and Lillie in 1959.

Oldiesmann

Today is the annual Kentucky Derby horse race and while I don't care about the race at all, I can never pass up an opportunity to listen to a version of this classic (mint juleps are closely associated with the race). Here's a version from The Clovers from 1952. Seven years later this group scored a top 30 hit with the original version of "Love Potion No. 9".

Marilyne

Michael - interesting coincidence ... I was reading the paper this morning, and saw an ad for  "Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons":  tickets on  sale for their August 3rd appearance at the Mountain Winery, in Saratoga.  That's less than two miles from my house.  It's a beautiful venue, that features older pop groups as well as concerts by well known musicians like Michael Feinstein, or Wynton Marsalis.  Imagine touring all summer with a show, when you're 90 years old!   Willie Nelson is also  still touring and he's 91.     

Oldiesmann

This is apparently the final tour for him, which isn't surprising. Ray Stevens is still going strong as well at 85