Random Image

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for December 1, 2018

Started by so_P_bubble, December 01, 2018, 12:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Jane, I'll try to remember to break any food before I taste it, especially meat and potatoes and I'll have no calories.  Thanks for the info.

I didn't think of this earlier but you reminded me of when I made a chiffon cake as my grandmother (I had only one, Dad's mother) was coming to live with us.  I put the cake on a tall chest and we went to the bus station to pick up Grandma and a friend who accompanied her.  My aunt (Mother's sister) was visiting and had stayed home.  We had a Heinz variety dog, named Fuzzy, because she was.  When we got home, we discovered the dog had eaten part of the cake.  My aunt was horrified that we didn't punish the dog - for something that had happened some time before we got home.  I cut out the part where the dog had eaten and gave that to her and we ate the rest.  I did put whatever might have been left in the refrigerator so Fuzz could not get at it again.  I'm glad my cat is not interested in people food.

Mary Ann

JaneS

Another funny story about dogs eating things....my daughter made cookies for her daughter to take to elementary school for some doing.  Since her husband and kids got home before she did in the afternoon, she put notes on two trays..."These are for the school" and "you can eat these".  The "you can eat these" tray was empty but the ones for school had not been touched.  Do you think dog can read?

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Shirley

Okay, I've got one about the neighbor's dog that my husband swears was smiling when he went out to get the hamburgers off the grill. He had put them to the side, away from the coals to come get a plate to bring them in. Mind you, my husband almost never grilled or did any cooking, so he was really proud of doing this job.... but came back in with the empty plate, wish you could have seen his face. You'd have thought someone had shot his best friend. I'm afraid I probably laughed out loud even though he was ready to go through the ceiling. A memory I'll never forget.

Refrigerator in, got cold almost immediately. The guy delivering said I could put food right in but I thought he was joking. I ran to the Dollar Tree & bought 4 ice cube trays, filled & put them in the freezer so I will have cubes when anyone wants. I have a few things I saved in the frig downstairs & also in the RV, but too tired to go fetch tonight. I got a nap in early so ended up with 4 hours plus, not enough for the old lady. Of that only 8 min of deep sleep.

Mary Ann, be glad your cat isn't interested in people food. I did go get mine a chicken this afternoon, they acted pleased but ate & wanted outside. It was a little warmer than has been lately & they know how to sit in the sun away from the wind. They seem to need sunshine.

Carol, glad Don had a good birthday, agree with him that prime rib is the best! I knew the name was familiar but drew a blank when I couldn't find it listed in members... besides, I spelled it wrong when looking. With all the frig problems I totally forgot to call Cox about working out the system to cut out the robo calls!  Had 2 today that probably came from the same place, I didn't pick up but was a jumble of letters & numbers instead of a name. I look for a chance to catch a human ear to pull that little plug on the screecher, no satisfaction if a human doesn't hear it, just blows my ear drums. I will call Cox tomorrow to see if that really works to stop those calls.

Amy, sorry to laugh at your calling for help.... but that is just too funny. Like you, I feel better if I get a chance to repay a kindness.  I baked brownies & took to the guys that winterized my RV, even though I paid them.

All this talk about sweets & my mouth is watering for something.... not sure what I have in the kitchen tonight.

Mary Ann

Jane and Shirley, I laughed at both of your stories about dogs eating people food.  Jane, I don't think your dogs can read, but I'll bet your family can.

Shirley, I'm glad your new refrigerator arrived and is already cold.  It does not take much time any more to get them cool.

Amy, I had to laugh at your map experience.  What a day!

So now Jane has her Christmas tablecloth on the table.  That must mean you are finished with cooking - at least for a while.

I'll shut this down at least until the next time I read something that I feel I should answer or respond to. 

Mary Ann

MaryTX

More dog and people food stories.....

Back in the 70s, one night we had T-bone steaks for supper.  We filled up our plates and Claude realized I hadn't put A-1 sauce on the table.  He got up to go to the cupboard and Cathie's dog Sunny grabbed his steak and out the door she went :).

When I was a kid, every other Sunday dinner, Mom would fix a rump roast.  One Sunday we finished eating and Mom put the roast up on the counter to cool before she put it in the frig.  Here came the dog and out the door went the dog, the roast and our supper for the rest of the week:).

Our dogs now sit right by the table every night and I swear they begrudge every bite we put in our mouths. They have never reached up on the table or the counters though, not like their predecessors did!

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Denver

I am not able to stay connected to the internet here at the hotel, so will be quick with my post.  Our first LONG day on the road went very well, but we are exhausted and heading to bed now.  Will make it to Paso Robles tomorrow and will see our Jonah.....we can hardly wait.

💞 and hugs to all from Mesquite Nevada.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Good morning everyone.

We had some snow overnight, not a lot but enough to deal with after my tea.

We also had a laugh but we do know now that if we needed help it would be in in less than 1/2 hour.........quicker if I had of answered the calls I was getting.

Wonder what mischief I will get into today lol.

I do need to wrap a few gifts and that should be it for Christmas. Tomorrow we will be looking after the neighbours house,dog,cat and making sure his Mom is ok.while they head to Quebec for a funeral. I sure hope the weather is good for them .

Jenny, safe travels and give Jonah a hugs or many from us please.

Mary, I think we all can relate to the dog taking off with the goodies. Not funny at the time but funny to look back on.

Shirley, hope you got some quality sleep last night. You will be running on fumes if you don't get some.

Mary Ann, when I take goodies to someone I tell them they are calorie free, as I drove fast and left them behind.

Larry, hope you got it all straightened out and now have heat

Gloria, are you ok or did I just miss your post??

Better get a move on.....work won't do itself. Darn it!

Enjoy your day everyone..

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Joy

Good morning, Amy.  Seems that you are the first one here this morning.

I did not get in here at all yesterday. Was not feeling so good in the morning, and then the day just flew by.  Feel better this morning.

Jenny, sounds like you had a long day yesterday. But, I know you are so anxious to see little Jonah.  I wasn't sure just when you were leaving.  Will you stay away over Christmas, or is this just a short trip. I know you did mention that you would stop to see your Dad.  Have a safe rest of your trip.

Amy, glad you didn't have to deal with much snow this morning.  We have a pretty sunny day in store, but very chilly.  I have pushed the thermostat up to take the chilly off while I am on the computer. I have an air duct right over my head and that warm air sure feels good.

I still have to get my wreath on the door and set up my ceramic tree.  Just really not into doing that much decorating anymore.  I will get the wreath and tree out today, for sure.  I don't feel as lazy as I had been feeling.  Although I did not sleep well again last night.  I sleep for a couple hours and then I am wide awake.

I will say Good Morning to all the friends who will come here later. Hope everyone will have a nice day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Amy

Joy, glad you are feeling much better today......enjoy your day and the heat :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Gloria

Good morning everyone. I have the weather channel on this PC and just looked at it.  They show the warmest and coldest temperatures and snow/rainfall for this day. Not much snow only 61/2 inches in 1992 the temperature low was -2° in 1998. This morning's 27° is balmy compared to that.

LARRY  looks like Scott will have to start putting his goodies where his dog cannot reach. One time I had a bag of the small Reese's in my handbag and my son and DIL came upstairs t o visit along with their dog. Well the dog went into the bedroom like she always did and slept there. When they left and I went in there I saw t he papers from the Reese's on the floor. She had eaten all of them. I called downstairs to tell them what she did and to watch her but she never got sick.

SHIRLEY  you described us perfectly in your welcome to Lucian.

AMY  glad that officer was understanding about you hitting the wrong number.

CALLIE  like you I tease all the time but have to be careful because some folks are too serious and take teasing the wrong way. My CNA is as bad as me so we get along great. Hope she stays here. Only a few in this building have a sense of humor.

JANE  I better use a knife and fork if that keeps the calories in, I really need to add at least.  20 pounds.

SHIRLEY  you reminded me of one  time we were having lobsters outside at the picnic table when we got phone call from Texas where they moved to. We all had to talk to them. When went out there was our dog licking butter off her face. She ate MY lobster and had butter with it.  She left the empty shell.

One Christmas I was talking on Skype with my daughter and her family when their dog a Chihuahua  ran into the living room from the kitchen with a big chunk of ham in his mouth loo‌king so proud of what he did. We were all shocked and then started laughing. He had jumped up on a chair and then on the table. Not funny because she had to throw the ham away, she would not give him a little piece of it.

MARY Tx  looks like we all have stories about our dogs stealing our food.

JENNY  you getting excited to be getting closer to your Jonah? Don't forget to give him a gentle hug from all of us. Safe driving.

AMY  I did post yesterday and today I have written a book.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I don't have much time this morning.  Last night my email started acting crazy and after trying to fix it for about a half hour twice and considering the possibility of putting the computer in the car and taking a drive to the river bank to toss it in, I just went to bed.  This morning I spent an hour on the phone with Windstream trying to get it back.  A nice young man named Conner (who grew up in the US and spoke very good English as his first language) helped over some humps and we finally go it working.  He had a lot of patience with this old lady and her questions.  But now I have to go get ready for work.

I hope everyone's day yesterday ended better than mine and I hope today began better.  The good thing is, I slept soundly all night and woke to the alarm this morning.  It's been a long time since I've done that!

Enjoy your day!  Keep your snow!  We had a few flakes last night.  Stay warm and cozy.  I'll try to check in later.

AMY, funny about the COPS coming after you!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

well dear friends that is the main reason Luckey gets no further in the house than the garage. and we have no cat they wont stay off the table
and out of the butter. glad we have came far enough to not live in the barn with the livestock. even in my shop i believe for a place for everything and everything  in its place. I am off of my pedistle and on my way to sam's club grocery shopping.

Lloyd

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We are in for another beautiful day with it getting up into the 50's.  I have a friend coming by at 10 am this morning to spend an hour with me and then I will take Pat over to a friends home where the ladies in the craft group will be enjoying a Christmas luncheon.  She doesn't even have to make something to take, which makes it nice.  I am go happy that she is feeling up to attending.

Our heat pump froze up again and I wasn't surprised since the needed parts hadn't been replaced.  I spoke with the repairman this morning and he said the parts are due in today and he will be here tomorrow to fix it.  So we will stay on Emergency Heat for another day or so. It keeps us nice and warm.

This evening she in planning on fixing ribs, baked beans and potato salad and also a cherry pie for our dinner as Scott will be over.  She will be pretty well done in when all of that is done.  I will help her as much as I can.  We did get haircuts yesterday after we had our main meal at Ruby Tuesday's. I downloaded the audio book of War and Peace by Leo Toystoy.  I have never read it and may not be able to get it finished as it is about 51 hours of recording.  At least someone will be pronouncing all of those Russian names.

Mary Ann, apparently the cookies didn't make Scott's dog sick although it did impact his digestive system.  I remember several years ago we bought a Maytag refrigerator thinking it was a good brand.  However, they had let the company slip in quality and we had a lot of problems with it and replaced it in just a few years.  The one we have now has given us good service. 

Carol, the robo calls seem to have lessened here since the last of the elections have ended.  I never answer them as have identified in my phone contacts my friends or people likely to call me such as businesses I have done business with.  I still have my Atlanta prefix so the robocalls came over that prefix without a name attached and I never answered them. 

Amy, at least you know that the 911 service works well in your area.  Avoid that mischief today!  :) I bought Christmas paper at Costco when I went back there a couple of days ago so that I wouldn't have to get out and make another trip when I started wrapping the few things we have to wrap.  What we had on hand was down to bits and pieces but the new wrap should last several years as they are big rolls.  As you can see we still have heating problems but so thankful for the emergency electric heat and our house is very comfortable. 

Gloria, I am sure Scott will be more careful with his food in the future.  Dogs do like candy even though it isn't good for them.  Wish I could share a few pounds with you that I could afford to lose. 

Callie, I help our housekeeper the same way you do by staying out of her way.  She knows that I will vacate my office if it is time to clean in here although I am usually laying down by the time she get to this room.  I bet those cookies are good and I would love the peppermint flavoring in the frosting.  I hope that none of us would take offense at the way things may be stated here recognizing what you say that it is hard to interpret words without seeing facial expressions.  If I am teasing, which I like to do on occasion, I usually end it with a little smiley to emphasis I am not serious. 

Jane, I am so glad that breaking whatever I am eating lets the calories leak out.  I must do more of that but now I see that cutting it with a knife or fork doesn't work.  :)  I think dogs must really like chocolate.  However, only one of the cookies he ate had some chocolate chips in them.  I am sure the dogs just think the food is for them rather than being ornery.  Funny story about the dog leaving the cookies for the school.  Who knows?

Shirley, no wonder you husband was irate with losing his burgers on the grill.  Dogs will be dogs.  Did he ever try to grill again?  Glad you got your new refrigerator. 

Mary, Cathie's dog had good taste in meat and guess he didn't need the A-1 sauce.  Back when we were kids losing a big roast would be a serious thing.  I just helped Pat wrap up a couple packages from a roast she bought at Costco and she said it had cost $30.  Obviously we don't have that type of roast very often. 

Jenny, glad your first day on the road went well.  I look forward to your report on your first time holding Jonah.  It sounds like you experience no problems getting over the mountains.

Lloyd, I hope your Sam's visit goes well today.

Mary Ann

I had to laugh at the dogs-eating-food stories.  Dogs will be dogs!

I have caught the cat on the table and/or kitchen counter, but we don't leave food out so he finds nothing to eat.  When he sees me, he gets to the floor pronto!

I have heard chocolate is not good for dogs, but I have an idea that one time would do no harm, it would be as a steady diet.

We have a partly sunny day and a temp of 32 that possibly will go to 35 degrees.  No snow is predicted for today, but tomorrow???

Jenny, safe travels and I know you're anxious to see Jonah. 

This is the first year we will not have our family Christmas with everyone present.  We decided the individual families should celebrate as they wish and probably with the spouses' families.  So we will go to Holland on Christmas Day to be with Tom's son and family.  It should be fun to see the twins' reactions to everything.  I don't remember being their age (nearly two) but my first Christmas memories were of coming down the stairs on Christmas morning and seeing the tree.  It wasn't until several years later that our tree went up a week earlier.  By then, it was a big deal for Norm and me, especially for Norm, that we got to help pick out the tree and it was always a balsam - Dad's choice. 

Now, I don't even get out my artificial tree and I've got ornaments to put on one, but there just isn't room for a tree - and a cat!!!

Larry, your dinner for tonight sounds delicious.  I'd be exhausted too from all the fixings. 

Mary Ann

Lloyd Hammond

well Larry we did alright at sams club bet we came home wit $150. Les money in the bank. but a lot of goodies to eat. some butterfly shrimp and some popcorn shrimp lots other good food. our weather is great, got into the upper 50;s. no complate here with that.

Lloyd

Lindancer

[Good evening I will write more to morrow,very tired to night.
Went to the Hemotologist to day, the doctor said my iron was good, as I just got and infusion a couple of months ago, my blood count had gone down though, and I had to get THE shot. I still have to go back every two weeks for test. rough in the winter to get there now that Keith is still with his father. Will write more to morrow.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Denver

We arrived safely at Jonah's Home❣️

Holding this beautiful little bundle of joy in my arms is so  wonderful.  He is the best baby. Never fusses much at all.  He just look all around and seems to be taking everything in!  He is doing great at nursing and his mama and daddy are so attentive to him.  It is quite a joy to see.  I told him that he has many people all over that are interested in him and how he is doing....some day he will understand better❣️

We are about to call it a night...it has been a long and very exciting day. 

More tomorrow....pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Good morning everyone...

Jenny, can feel the love n hugs you are enjoying!!

Going to make this quick as I slept in (again) and need to get a wiggle on and get some things done....

Enjoy your day everyone..
Jimmy Dean

Gloria

Good morning everyone, cloudy start and cold. There is snow flurries in the forecast for later today. I don't trust the flurries they predict, at times those flurries turned into about 8 inches of it.

JANE  glad you got a tech that talked you into getting your PC getting your email working.

LLOYD  I do not have much storage places here so have to put things back where I got them from. Wish some of the CNAs I get would put things back where they got them. Not nice having to look for something they do not put back.

LARRY  wish I could take the few pounds others want to get rid of. Last time I weighed this little I was a teen.

GLORIA de  the doctors I go to know I do not like appointments in the winter anymore so now I don't have any between November and late March, works great for me.

JENNY  I know just how you feel. I was so anxious to see my now 3 year old great grandson and the new grandfather knows me so a few days after they were home from the hospital he called and asked if I would like to go for ice cream and of course that is always a treat and instead we went to my grandson's home and I got to hold the baby, wonderful. No many how many are born it is always a thrill to hold the new one.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Today we are expecting just clouds but a high into the low 60's.  This morning I will pick up my friend and we will go downtown to coffee.  After I return him home I will go over to Walmart to pick up a couple of prescriptions and then get the online grocery order.  We expect the heat pump tech here sometime today.  Beyond that nothing else is on the schedule.  Pat did enjoy her Christmas luncheon yesterday and the dinner she prepared last evening was delicious. Scott really enjoyed it.  Our great grandchildren and their father sent us the largest Christmas card I have ever seen.  They had all signed it.

Mary Ann, when we had our cat he would occasionally get on the table but knew he shouldn't be there and got down when we spoke to him.  Scott said his dog was OK after the coffee but cleaning up after him was not fun.  You know Kendrick would think the ornaments were just there for his entertainment.  Pat fixed a couple of things in the morning and I helped her quite a bit with the meal.

Lloyd, getting out of the membership stores for less than $100 seems to be hard to do.  You did well to held it to the $150 range. 

Lindancer, sorry to had to experience that shot again but glad they have something to help you.  Do you use a walker when you leave your home? I hope you got a good nights sleep and feel more rested this morning. 

Jenny, Glad you are safely at your first destination.  I looked at the two pictures you sent of proud grandpa and grandma holding Jonah.  He looked like he could care less.  He sure looks like a very healthy baby. 

Amy, I hope you don't overdo today.  Glad you could sleep in as I expect you needed the rest. 

Gloria, I hope those flurries just stay that way. 

I just heard from the heat pump tech and he is on his way to put in the new parts so hopefully in an hour or so we will have our heating back off the emergency setting.

Lloyd Hammond

Gloria I hope I did not cause you to get things out of place.

Larry yes but Nancy is a pinny puncher. that is not all bad either.
It is 44º and cloudy here calling for high of 45º. Not raining at present time but has some light rain and looks like it could any time at the drop of the hat, that is alright with me as long as it stays above freezing. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Mary Ann

Larry, I have a small artificial tree and Tom can't find the base for it so we don't have a tree now.  But when I put it out a few years ago, I found Kendrick under the tree but I know if I had a big tree, real or artificial, I'd find him IN the tree.  He is nosy and investigates everything that looks different to him.

Gloria D, I'm sorry you had to have THE shot and I hope it lasts into the new year.

Jenny, how nice that you finally got to hold Jonah and he's all that you expected.

Amy, I like those days when I sleep in - whether accidental or on purpose.  Of course I run out of time around noon but I keep going anyway until I'm finished computing!

Gloria Z, I'd gladly give you my extra pounds.  I try to eat two good meals a day and in a couple of years I have lost 10-15 pounds.  I still have a few to go to get to where I want to be.  I'll never get down to the 115 pounds I was many years ago and which would be ideal for my height.

Mary Ann

Carol

Reading all of your notes, I am so far behind.  Today is a dentist appointment for me then I have to get serious about our non-packing anything - for the flight to Denver on Saturday.  We keep a lot at home - prescriptions and so forth just so we can travel light and cheap. 

Best to all, must get things moving around here now. 

Amy

Talking with my son and he said Jane's computer is not working.... will let you know if I hear anything.
Jimmy Dean

Joy

It ism almost too late to say  Good Morning.  I have been on the computer way too long this morning. Need to get  a few chores started, anyway.

I just want to drop in and say "Hello".  I will try to get back a little later in the day.

Have a good afternoon.

Joy
BIG BOX

Lindancer

Good evening, Never got into the computer till now.

Gloria, weather person kept saying we were to get snow, but started to rain, and is still raining.  Did you get snow?

Jenny, I am so happy you're safe and sound in /calif. and got to hold that grandson.[Know that was a wonderful moment.

eLarry, glad to see Pat enjoyed her luncheon.  I Use my pushmobile when I go out. (rollator) I can go and do a little shopping, that's my exercise.  Now that Keith has left it is hard to get someone to take just  any place becaUSE OF LIFTING THE ROLLATOR TO PUT IN THEIR TRUNK.] sorry about the capitals,must have hit the wrong key.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

June Drabek

My computer was down again...drives me bananas. Gary just left, after fixing me up. I talked about getting a new Mac, and he said I would have to learn new things again, as they change all the time. I will pray a lot, as I need you all.....my cyber family. Hugs and Love forever. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

mycheal

June,
WE will all pray hard to that that contraption keeps humming, we cannot live without you posts :)
Mycheal

Amy

I agree with you  Mycheal. we need to see posts from June . ALSO Jane needs to get her computer fixed fast and get back  in here.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Good morning everyone...

Foggy here this morning and the weather guessers are calling for snow and or rain. I sure hope it is snow!! Need to take hubby for a hait cut this morning, he mentioned about getting on ,will see if he still wants to go.

We have an extra dog visiting us, the neighbours have gone to a funeral and we are looking after their dog and cat. Callie, the calico is a lovely cat and I brought the dog over here yesterday. He fits in well, knows where the treats are and both dogs get along great. We have watched hi grow from a pup and tease his owner that they are looking after "our" dog.

I hope Jane gets her computer fixed soon, and June I hope yours behaves.

Better go feed Callie.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean