Random Image

Happy Halloween

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:34:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of July 10

Started by JoanFL, July 10, 2016, 04:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radioman34

June I only use my cane in the apartment because there is not enough room to maneuver my rollator
JeanneP I see many people stooped over as they use their walkers and I believe there is no need for that.  You can stand erect if you put your mind to it. I stooped at first but soon discovered there was no reason for it other than my own lack of discipline to stand up straight and walk the same way.

June Drabek

Don, I agree, too many people lean over when they use a walker. I keep reminding myself to stand tall. Pulling in the stomach muscles almost makes one stand straight.

I have had a completely wasted day....so far.....still would hope to get some letters written to mail off. I slept for three hours this afternoon, and do not want to do anymore of that. Then I would have trouble sleeping at night, I'm sure.

Molly, Mohammed did a fine job of getting some of his things out of the basement. And I'm happy you heard from Chaps. The older we get the more we value our "kids".
As long as we are here, let's dance.

junee

Regarding walkers, I had the height of my walker adjusted so that
I stand straight.  At first was not aware that legs could be lengthened
And was not at all comfortable in a lean over position.

It certainly gives some security when moving about.

Gloria

JOAN  I never think of going to Google for anything.

PHYLLIS  it has been cool and damp here the last few days but the summer heat is in the forecast in the next couple of days. I know I look forward to Sunday mornings to see what you have made for us this week. Then I enjoy seeing what you post in the Card Shoppe, too.

LARRY  I am not too proud to use my rollator all the time. I rather do that than fall an have to call for help to get up. Would love to have a fresh tree ripened peach. When we get them here in the market they are very hard. By the time they get soft they are not very tasty or juicy.

PATRICIA  I have 2 extra ice cube trays I could use to do the eggs that way. Will have to try it the next time I have a fresh dozen of them. I get them from a farm  but I don't like to keep them too long. I don't eat as much of them like I used to and hate throwing them away after sitting in the fridge for a couple of months. They cost more than at the markets.

DON  getting the rollator was smart. Is it easier getting into doors? I learned fast how to back into a doorway holding the door open.

JUNE  I usually go outside to walk a few times a day but today when my son left I did not go out with him. Just stayed inside. This damp weather is not nice to my back.

GLORIA de  we have had rain overnight the last few nights. When I went to pull my shades down earlier I saw it was raining again.

JEANNE P  you do not have to walk bent over with a rollator it the handles are high enough. There are 2 men  here than bend over but one has a bad hip and waiting for the date for a replacement. They are both obese.

SANDY  I would love to add at least 20 pounds. I lost 50 without even trying but it was too much.

MOLLY  your head pains and my back. My doctor even wants me just to keep on doing what I am doing.

DON  when I got my rollator by son put it together and he set the handles low. It was not easy to hold and push it keeping my back straight. One of the men here saw how I was walking with it and said I should raise the handles. I did not know that could be done and he raised them and it made it so much easier to walk. 

JUNEE I had the legs on mine put up as high as they can go.

Have a good night.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

Good Night Everyfriend!  I'm off to Dreamland.  I wish you all well or at least better.  May God bless us, every one.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

CallieOK

The lady at the health equipment store where I bought my rollator had me hold my arms straight down and then bend them straight out at the elbows without lifting my shoulders.  Then she adjusted the handles so my arms rested on them. 
I do have to remember not to push it too far in front of me because that makes me bend forward.

No news from this corner.   

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a Good Night and pleasant dreams.

Denver

We are home.....it was a scorcher here today!

Bob wanted to get home so he could get our once a week trash pickup out for Monday morning.  I personally could have just stayed in Vail.

Pleasant dreams to EVERYFRIEND!

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's eggs, toast and Canadian bacon to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

This Is FAITH!

A boy was sitting on a park bench with one hand resting on an open Bible. He was loudly exclaiming his praise to God. "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! God is great!" he yelled without worrying whether anyone heard him or not.

Shortly after, along came a man who had recently completed some studies at a local university. Feeling himself very enlightened in the ways of truth and very eager to show this enlightenment, he asked the boy about the source of his joy.

"Hey" asked the boy in return with a bright laugh, "Don't you have any idea what God is able to do? I just read that God opened up the waves of the Red Sea and led the whole nation of Israel right through the middle."

The enlightened man laughed lightly, sat down next to the boy and began to try to open his eyes to the "realities" of the miracles of the Bible.

"That can all be very easily explained. Modern scholarship has shown that the Red Sea in that area was only 10-inches deep at that time. It was no problem for the Israelites to wade across."

The boy was stumped. His eyes wandered from the man back to the Bible laying open in his lap.

The man, content that he had enlightened a poor, naive young person to the finer points of scientific insight, turned to go. Scarcely had he taken two steps when the boy began to rejoice and praise louder than before.

The man turned to ask the reason for this resumed jubilation.

"Wow!" exclaimed the boy happily, "God is greater than I thought! Not only did He lead the whole nation of Israel through the Red Sea, He topped it off by drowning the whole Egyptian army in 10-inches of water!"

Food For Thought

The Mountain of Faith
(By Steve Troxel)

When Abraham was over eighty years old, God made him a wonderful promise: "A son coming from your own body will be your heir. Look up at the heavens and count the stars - so shall your offspring be" (Genesis 15:4-5).

Many years went by without any indication that God would fulfill this promise. Finally, when Abraham was one hundred years old, and his wife, Sarah, was ninety, God fulfilled His promise through the birth of Isaac. But when Isaac was a young boy, God told Abraham to sacrifice his beloved son.

Genesis 22:2 "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

We can't even imagine receiving this type of command from God. Abraham loved Isaac; and Isaac also represented the fulfillment of God's promise. But Abraham did not even question the apparent conflict between God's promise and His command...he simply believed and obeyed. Abraham took Isaac and climbed the mountain, placed him on top of a pile of wood, and "took the knife to slay his son" (Genesis 22:10).

Many people speculate about the turmoil in Abraham's mind during this time, but Scripture gives no indication that Abraham ever seemed anxious or concerned. He believed in God, believed His promises, and his faith never seemed to waver. As Abraham was about to kill his son, God stopped him and provided a ram as a substitute sacrifice (Genesis 22:13).

God put Abraham through an unimaginable test of faith...but why? The test was not for God - surely God already knew of Abraham's faith! It's possible the test was given in order to strengthen Abraham's faith. God often tests us as a way of refining and drawing us closer to Himself. But I believe [a] main reason for Abraham being asked to climb the mountain was so we would have a clear picture of what it means to believe and trust God.

Belief is central to the gospel message. It is so important that God gave a picture through Abraham which allows us to truly understand what Jesus meant when He said; "whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

God is calling us to believe. He is calling us to a life of faith where we have such a strong assurance of His presence that He is all we need...all we value and hold dear. Let's give ourselves completely to Him, without ANY reservation - let's truly believe! Let's give Him ALL our heart and be willing to sacrifice ALL for His glory and honor. Let's once and for all climb the mountain of faith.

Many of us are longing for clear direction from God. Although we probably pray that His direction doesn't require the sacrifice of Abraham, we're ready to follow and are in a mode of waiting. Waiting can be very frustrating and sometimes cause us to speed up God's timing. But we must continue to patiently seek the Lord, trust there is a purpose in the wait, continue to grow and mature, and be obedient to the things God has already given us to do. His direction will come - and when it does, we must be prepared to follow.

What would have happened if Abraham had become so focused on "the mission" that he failed to listen for the voice of the Lord? Abraham was being obedient to the call of God; but right at the point of absolute obedience, God changed direction; "Do not lay a hand on the boy" (Genesis 22:12).

The call of God is not a one time event; it's an ongoing, moment by moment relationship of love. We are never sent on a mission which leads us away from the presence of the Lord. Rather, we are called to follow, making the journey hand in hand, and step by step. Let's continue to grow ever closer to our Heavenly Father. Let's trust Him more, love Him more, and always, always, always, listen as we climb.

Thought of the Day

Remember that the right relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.

--Author Unknown

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  Go and make it a GOOD day!  That's what I'm going to do!

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  I'll try my best to make it a good day.

Amy

Good morning everyone..

I slept in!! Not a lot going on here today, just tidying up and sewing..plus I will bake some raisin bran muffins later. Will put some in the hidey hole for you.

Where is Lloyd???

Better get a move on.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Amy--Good morning.  I took one of those yummy raisin bran muffins from the "hidey hole".   Thanks.  I was wondering about Lloyd, too.  And has anyone heard from Jeanne Lee?

Jeanne Lee

Not to worry - I'm here.  It's just that my get-up-and-go got up and went.  ;D 

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Today will be another 100 degree day.  We had quite a bit of thunder last evening but no rain so I had to turn on the sprinklers for early this morning. 

Today will be a full day for me as I have three medical tests starting at 11:30 and the last one at 2 pm.  At least they are all in the same location, which is less than 20 minutes from our home.  I will have a Carotid Duplex Scan, the an Echocardiogram  and finally a Cardiac PET Scan.  I can't have anything to eat this morning nor take my normal medications until after the tests. 

Pat had planned to so with me but I told her yesterday I didn't want her to go as she still isn't over the pains in her thigh and shoulder.  No reason for her to sit in uncomfortable chairs for three hours or more. 

JaneS, Gloria and deAngel, I could use some of your cooler weather down this way.  I think this could well be a summer for the record books down here in terms of so many hot days.  At least today I should be able to park in a parking garage so my car won't be so hot when I finish the tests. DeAngel, it sounds like your neighbors are keeping a good check on you.

Molly, glad Mohamed had a safe trip back to Egypt and you have had some time to rest up and get away for a few days to visit friends. 

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope Lloyd is okay and well.  No accidents.

Larry, it is going to be hot here today, as usual.  There is some rain around and I do mean around.  All around us but that old summer high just want let it come visi us.  Which reminds me to go turn the water on.  Water day.

Janie, I do hope you fulfill your quest and have a good day.

Joanie, did you leave me one of Amys muffins?  It will go good with my coffee, anyone want a cup?

Have a great day.

JoanFL

Good morning Jeanne Lee.  It's good to hear from you.  I know you need to rest after your recent ordeal.

Larry--Good morning.  We had thunder last night, too, but not a drop of rain.  You sure do have a busy day with those tests.  Hope all is well.

Good morning, halkel.  I don't have to mess with the sprinkling system.  HOA takes care of that.  Of course I left some of Amy's muffins.  I only took ONE.:)

Gloria

Good morning everyone, hope you all slept good and woke full of energy. Cannot remember the last time I woke and ready to get things done.

CALLIE  when I bought my rollator I had no idea about health supply stores. I ordered mine online and my son put it together. After moving here and seeing so many with them I found out that Medicare would pay for one but you get the ones they pick. I like mine better than those. Then I see the new ones some are getting and they are more like what I have.

JENNY  I would have hated to leave the place you were at in Vail, too, and get back into a hot city.

JOAN  Canadian bacon will be a treat, have not had that is a long time. This is Faith is a good lesson for the smart(?) college student. Another one to share. Food for Thought makes one think. Thank you for all today's goodies.

JANE  making every day a good day is something to try for.

AMY  like you I have been wondering about Lloyd. Not like him not to post every day. Hope he did not have another accident or end in the hospital again.

JEANNE LEE  your get up and go should be reminded about how we worry.

LARRY  the worse about not being able to eat till after the tests is when they are scheduled for late in the day.

HAL  glad you can give your grass a drink today.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  I don't have Canadian bacon often either.  I sometimes order it when we go out for breakfast.

CallieOK

Gloria,  two friends recommended this particular store for the rollator.  I could have gone through my doctor and had insurance pay for it.
Another friend got hers at an estate sale.

I just mentioned the way the store lady adjusted mine because it seemed to be a method anybody could use.

Have a Merry Monday, Everyfriend.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the
still coolish,  sunny,  rocky coast of Maine. 

But...
As of tomorrow,  the long hot part of Summer
should be coming,  with temps up into
the 80's and a wee bit more humid.   But not
terribly so.    I can see that my AC
will be running for the next couple of
weeks.   

I can't complain (even though I would like to)
because we have had very nice weather here
for many, many weeks.   

I am really looking forward to the day when
I "should really put on some weight"...   (ha!)

But something tells me that is going to be
a long time coming.    No matter what,
I will be closely paying attention to weight
issues from now on in order to someday
reach my goal weight. 

Have a good day,  Everyone! 
Sandy
:coolsmiley:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Lindancer

Good morning, Joan and everyone. It is a lovely cool morning, very low humidity, and a slight breeze out of the East.

I plan to drive to Stop and Shop around noon, that seems to be when the parking is best. My neighbor who cleans for me will go along.  She will bring a shopping cart to the car, then I can walk in.  I go up and down every aile, that is part of my excercise.  Of course I see and buy somthing I really do not need.
When we get home, she will put the groceries away, which I always tell her I can do, but she does not listen to me.
Gloria I do have a rollator, that my DIL gave me, it was her grandmothers.but I still use a cane most of the time.  I also have my husbands walker. Which I keep by the tub, when I get out. my tub is extra wide, with a step out. I can grab hold the walker for balance.

Happy to see your post JeanneLee.  I also hope Lloyd is OK

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Good morning from a very misty Interior. We had a quick rain squall yesterday afternoon but no thunder, lightning or hail. Just more of that steady, rain. Sunny, warm days have rarely been seen here and not for the past several months.

Joan, I did lose a lot of weight, but the attention and very sudden visibility I garnered when I had been there all along were off-putting. I am trying to lose the few pounds I regained the past couple of years in retirement.

Lately, Farrah has changed. She used to get all excited at the rattle of her treat bag. Today, out of nowhere she went over to the yoga mat and announced WIN!, her word for treats, not to be confused with WIN, WIN her words for FEED ME in the mornings. When I return after being gone for an amount of time, she automatically goes to her treat place, the yoga mat.

Joy

Callie,  I use the rollator walker that was my husbands.  After reading what you wrote about adjusting the handlebars,  I realized that I was probably using the walker like it was adjusted for my husband.  I know that when I am using it, I do tend to lean over a bit.  So, I took your same advice and measured it like you said and wound up raising it just one more notch.  Oh, what a difference.   I no longer walk bent over and it really does feel so much better. I am standing up much straighter.

Thanks for the tip !!!

Joy
BIG BOX

JoanFL

Callie--Medicare provided my walker and a medical supplier in town delivered it.

Sandy--I know that one day you WILL reach your goal weight.

Linedancer--I'd sure like to feel a breeze.  How nice that your neighbor/cleaning lady goes to the grocery with you.

angelface--Folks comment about how thing I am, and that is as offensive as telling someone they are fat.  Farrah is really getting smart.

Joy--Great that Callie's tip helped you adjust your walker so it's easier to use.

Vanilla-Jackie

Good Monday afternoon.......Joan, If I had known bacon was on the menu, I would have been in here earlier.....now Canadian bacon, that's a new one on me....

Molly, sounds like your Mohamed done quite a lot of catching up with his short time we you.....You will now be counting days till his next home visit....
My thoughts remain with your boy who is out in Korea....

Amy, two days of rest, eh,......that's now getting to become a habit....  ;D ....about time you took time out... :thumbup:

Jenny, sounds like you were sad to have come away from Vail....I google mapped it and the scenery was to die for, it looked so picturesque...

Larry Hanna, yes surprisingly just an hour or two away from home does one a world of good....Even I tend to forget how many sight-seeing places are on top of our door-step...we even have a castle ( Corfe Castle, ) National Trust, not too far a trip away, another place I must keep on to R about to take a visit to......But I do have to keep on mentioning it, as it goes through one ear and out the other with him.... ::)

Don, so easy putting off using the next stage in mobility transport.....I have seen many MS'ers in these power type of wheelchairs, that I know I could be one of them one day soon but...I will put off moving that next stage up until I find I have no choice, but for me, the time hasn't come yet.....I can still get around with a stick and for balance I will grab Rs sleeve, or I will use my rollator as and when I am off pebbled, or uneven ground, although I believe my rollator is geared for rugged terrain, just dont want to damage its tyres......

Larry Hanna, hm, like busses, you wait forever then three come along together, re, your todays three medical test appointments...I am sure this is a day you want over and done with.....Hope you find time to relax once you reach home and those tests are put behind you.....I have my urinary bleed scans come this Wednesday.....

Sandy, I have to congratulate you on losing 50 lbs ( 3 & a half stone )....I can imagine what a difference this has made to not only your health but your energy level and wellness.....I too am far overweight, of course due to my illness my exercise has dropped, no lengthy dog walking, no swimming, no Yoga - Pilates and of course my all time favourite of several years ago, Tai - Chi Chuan.....my balance, glide and slow gentle movements, would now be a definite no - no....
Well not much been on the last few days agenda, yesterday i felt so tired throughout the day, dozed off a few times.....Today has been a tad better....felt more alive, more motivated...even went out for a short drive with R to our local garden centre, and pet store.....I wanted to buy a couple of not too dear Items to take to my tomorrow evenings MS social evenings group to add to the prizes for their monthly raffle.....bought a couple of hand-cream sets, one wild English lavender, the other Lily of the Valley......
Tomorrow morning 8.15, our electrician is due to put up our pair of chandelair type ceiling lights, cant wait to see them up, its taken three months of umming and arrghing, in choosing them....
Rollators, the only problem I have is, that I now tend to wear calf length skirts, and its not the first time my skirt has got tangled near the wheel, nothing major....
I know we dont talk politics but we had a real turn up for the books for our new Prime Minister....there were two in the running, the general public private members were to make the final vote, but lunchtime came our news that one dropped out, so we now have our new Prime Minister who is to take over this Thursday rather than early September...Anyway I am a happy bunny as we have ourselves the right person for the job ahead, another female, since the days of Margaret Thatcher........ she comes across as very warm and clearly focused on her job, re, our pulling out of the EU...and I hope can smooth things over....
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

Joan, so much nicer to make a general comment rather than specific. It is more enjoyable to hear, you look happy or good today instead of how thin, tired, heavy, or sick you look! People are generally aware and do not need reminders!

I remember when my father was ill and in a wheelchair. People directed all questions to me and it made me so I would stay silent and specifically  look at him to answer or not. Some just never got the message! After that, I made a point of speaking and looking at the person in the wheelchair when I was working or now when I meet someone. Another tip is if someone is using an interpreter. Look at and answer the person and not the interpreter.

Now that my hearing isn't the best, I become upset when people move their head around, look away, look back and other movements when I am trying to hear and understand what they are saying!

CallieOK

Joy,  glad the suggestion helped.

JaneS

I always make a point of addressing children who come through my line with their parents.  I think too many children are ignored and they are people too.  So I ask them something specific... "What's that on your shirt?" or if the have a baby with them, "Is your baby a baby sister or a baby brother?"  Or "how's your summer going?"  They always perk up and answer and sometimes ask me something.  And I always address the shopper whether they are in a wheel chair of standing.  I assume it's their legs that don't work, not their lips and their brains.

June Drabek

Good Morning all, have read all your morning greeting. It is good to see you all up and about.

Jeanne Lee, It is surprising how long it takes to recover from a hospital stay. It is not just the body that was ill, but our poor minds went through a lot of trauma also, and I find that takes me more time to adjust after each trip to hospital. Plus the fact that each day I am getting a little bit older, and nothing can change that. Be patient with yourself dear, you deserve a time of healing.

I have nothing on my to-do list other that write the letters that I didn't do yesterday. There is a movie called Flywheel downstairs at1:30, I may take my self down there just to acknowledge there is a life outside my apartment and the hallways. More and more I am hibernating at home...not a good plan.

Joy, I too am using the cart that we bought for my husband. I did need to adjust the height of the handles, but that was a long time ago. so I haven't shrunk lately.  :thumbup:

As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--Once the ceiling light fixtures are installed things should be pretty well done, right?

angelface--Some people don't know how to make a general comment.

Janie--You are so very thoughtful to make comments directly to children, disabled adults etc.

June--Guess except for walking the halls, you're having a quiet day.