Random Image

Low Water 2019

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

My sister, Sue, was glued to the TV set when Dark Shadows came on. I didn't care for it, probably because it reminded me of soap opera with a twist. I know a lot of people liked the soaps.  Are they still so very popular? I despise them.

Marilyne

MarsGal - Yes, "Dark Shadows", was called a gothic soap opera. The early Frankenstein movies from the 1930's were also gothic.  Stone buildings with spires, and dungeons, and the townspeople marching with torches! :yikes:  "Bride of Frankenstein", with Elsa Lanchester, was a real kick . . . also "Son of Frankenstein". They still play on TCM, a couple of times a year, and are fun to watch.  Not at all scary.

When "Silence of the Lambs", came out, we went to a theater to see it with my cousin and her husband. About midway through it, I got up and walked out, and waited in the lobby for it to be over.  Such a distasteful and horrifying film, IMO! Yes, I know it won all sorts of awards and acting honors, but it's just not for me.  Whatever it is that makes people enjoy being scared, I lack it. 

maryc

It is interesting to observe the people who really enjoy the horror movies and those that don't.    I have one DIL who really likes those and can't seem to get enough.    Like someone said here,  if I were to watch them,  some of those scenes would stay with me way too long and I would be checking behind all the doors and shower curtains constantly.  :yikes:      At the other end of the spectrum,   I'm not wild about the predictable ending stories either.   It seemed like the Hallmark theater got into the boy meets girl pattern of stories and you could tell the ending from the beginning.   I do like a story with some substance and a little tension is good but not the Ax murder or supernatural variety,  thank you very much!!    I'm about finished with the WWII story I've been reading titled The Ragged Edge of Night by Olivia Hawker.     
Mary C

MarsGal

I never got that spooked by horror stories. But my sister, who likes them, was a bit paranoid about insects. She would check her bed for creepy-crawlies before climbing in under the covers. My little sister and i had great sport with this on several occasions, much to her horror. I remember my little sis had a toy that molded soft plastic into small insect figures. You can guess Sue's reaction to climbing into bed only to have toes touch something soft and squishy not supposed to be there.

I can't say that I am all that interested in The Architect's Apprentice. I am much more interested in the background history and personal insights participants are posting, so I am skimming along on the book. Odd that I haven't felt compelled to dig up history, maps, photos, etc. for background myself. Maybe it is because Barb, et. al., have done a good job on their own.

I've been reading a couple of rather bland books. Several of which I dropped after a few chapters. My current read, The Cold Between by Elizabeth Bonesteel, is supposed to be a military scifi, but so far, seems more like a romance. The lead female character spends a lot of time ruminating over several former affairs, and has a mildly erotic encounter with a man who is/was a member of a group that is looked on with suspicion and bigotry. No real science, so far, in this book. The crew of the ship are on a first name basis, rarely, if ever, using their titles of command. If this is military, they are very lax with their protocols regarding, at the least, their chain of command. There are some odd goings on and a murder that may or may not be related to them that are just beginning to  cause concern. I'll read a little longer, but not sure I will finish it. This is the author's first novel and the beginning of a series.

Oh, yes, I tried to read John Scalzi's bizarre novella, only a little less than 140 pages, The God Engines. The story seems to be about faith, hypocrisy, testing faith.  Set on a spaceship which is apparently powered by a lesser god. The shipboard priest acts as what we could think of as a political officer making sure that the crew is adhering to their faith in the main god. The lesser god (along with other lesser gods on other ships) tries to rebel and suborn the crew. Much of the dialogue is between this lesser god, the priest and the captain of the ship. I stopped reading at page 37, but the darn book is calling me back. I actually picture the ship more like a galleon in the era of the Inquisition than that of a spaceship. So far, I have not discovered how the lesser god actually powers the ship. The book also might actually be interesting converted to a play.

Marilyne

MarsGal - I haven't been following "The Architect's Apprentice", on SL.  The subject/story doesn't interest me, but Barb does such a good job when she leads a book discussion, that I'm sure she is making it interesting!  She seems to be able to dig up facts about whoever or whatever any story is about.   

Maryc - The time frame of "The Ragged Edge of Night", is one of my favorites for fiction or non-fiction, so I'll look for it at my library . . . also one that Tome requested last week, titled "Washed Away".

MaryTX - Let us know how you liked "The Doll House"? Was it as good as, "The Address"? It was not available at my local library, but I can probably get it from the county.

I did go to the library a couple of days ago, and got, "The Garden of Lost Days", by Andre Dubus, III.   After the first couple of pages, I realized that I read this book about 10 years ago! ::)  It's a fictionalized account of the men who came to the US, learned to fly planes, and were then responsible for 9/11 . . . the planned attack on the World Trade Center. It weaves true facts with a good fiction story, and is a very compelling read.

JeanneP

It is like winter has arrived here today. I am now wearing warm flannel PJ. bundled up reading. My service man comes Wed. to see that furnace ready for winter but think will be using it tonight. Got a heater on at the moment. Will be down to 41 deg soon.
What a book I have just finished. Couldn't put it down. Never heard of the author before.B.A Paris.British writer but lives in France. Book Called"Bring me back" She has written 3 book and all 3 in Large Print. This one was written in 2018  Have ordered the other 2. Can't wait for them. Glad to see new writers still.

Been a busy week. Looking for to trade car or find one and sell my Honda Accord. Its ready to go.  Like loosing a good friend.
Next week going to try and get lots done before winter does get here.
Carpet cleaners Thur. Furnace Wed. Porch jet washed. It is going to be in the 80s for 2 days they say . Also need to go get flu shot.

Hope things have settled down for the people in the South. I hate thinking about the ones flooded out. Hope they get lots of help.
JeanneP

maryc

Marilyne,  I hope you are able to find The Ragged Edge of Night.   There is an interesting surprise in the Historical Note and Author's Remarks at the end of the story.   

JeanneP,  Your description of yourself in your last post sounded very cozy AND WINTERY.  We have had quite cool nights and yes the furnace has been running some already.    There is a lot to do to get ready for winter.  Furnace, gutters and the garden has to be put to bed and outdoor decor and furniture put away.  Saturday was a nice day and I did get a lot done outside.   Your speaking of getting a new car is a big move.   I'm hoping that my 2014 Ford Escape  will last until I don't need a car anymore.   That was a big purchase but we were able to make the decision together and I wouldn't want to do it again myself. We always bought "Gently used cars",  but Al thought he would like one new car in his lifetime and we decided to do it and I'm glad we did.   He did enjoy it.  Good luck to you on your buying adventure!!

Mary C

SCFSue

Good morning.  I am not driving now because of a bad fall I had 2 years ago.  However, I kept my 2010 Toyota Corolla and my son who lives near me uses it to take me to doctor's appointments, grocery store and library trips each week.  I only have about 50,000 miles on it and we're thinking it will last another 10 or more years at this rate.  This is my fifth Toyota and I must say they are very reliable.  We started out with Chevy's when we were first married (1958) as my uncle was a Chevy dealer, but had a real lemon back in the 70's and switched to Toyotas.  Some friends have suggested getting a new car, but since I'm not cleared to drive by myself, I'm just going to hang in with the one I have!

BTW, not being able to drive myself is the pits!
Sue

Marilyne

Mary - I'm glad that your Al, had the satisfaction of buying and enjoying the one new car!  We've always bought "gently used cars" also, except for our last purchase a couple of years ago . . a brand new Toyota Camry.  We had a Camry before this one, that we drove for about 16 years or more?  This one will last that long, I am sure. 

Jeanne - Looks like you're really getting organized for the coming Winter! Wish I could say the same, but I haven't done a thing yet to prepare.  Our winter doesn't really start until after Thanksgiving.  It is starting to cool down at night, and we have had a couple of days in the low 70's, but I know we still have some 80's and 90's coming up in October.

Sue - Sorry you still are unable to drive, but I can see that would be dangerous for you, until you get that brace off of your leg.  When do you expect it to be removed? 

Mary - I finally ordered "The Ragged Edge of Night", and am expecting it by the end of the week.  I read a review online, and I can tell it's story I'm going to like. 

maryc

SCFSue,   I'm sorry to hear that you are still "sidelined" from your accident.  I've heard many people talk about the limitations of not driving.   We have been so fortunate to be so mobile all these years and then to be grounded has to be a huge change.   I think that subconsciously I have been preparing myself for that time but I did that also for the death of Al but it is never the same when it really happens, is it??  We are lucky in our community to have a van service provided by our Town for shopping, medical and hair care.   This is by appointment and many complain that they often have to wait to be picked up to go back home,  but it certainly beats not having transportation at all.    I'm glad that your son is able to  take you to the places you need to go.   When I think about it, it kind of works out doesn't it that by the time we reach this point in life our children are beginning to retire and have just a little more time to help when needed.    ;)
Mary C

Marilyne

I'd like to recommend a Best Seller, that I thoroughly enjoyed reading . . . Crazy Rich Asians,  by Kevin Kwan.  It’s already been made into a movie, and has been breaking box office records for the past couple of weeks.  It’s the first time that a film with an all Asian cast, has been such a moneymaking success, and I can see why, as the story is a good one. 

It's highly entertaining, informative, funny, and a real eye opener !   It gives you a glimpse into the lifestyle of the extremely wealthy families in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia. I’m very interested in seeing the movie now.  I know it will be a good one!

Other books that I’ve read the past couple of weeks, are:
The Golden State, by Lydia Kiesling:  This is a unique and interesting story. An American woman, is married to a Turkish man, who has been detained in Turkey, due to new regulations and restrictions, etc. etc.  So she is alone and lonely in San Francisco, with her 18 month old daughter. The baby goes to day care, and the woman works at a good, high paying job. One day, she suddenly leaves work, picks up the baby, and begins driving to her grandparent home, in a tiny community up in Northern California, in the high desert.  It's really just a double-wide trailer, but it's where she spent much of her happy youth, and she feels like she needs to be there at this time.  The basic story is about the things that happen, while she is there . . . the people she meets, and the community itself.

Transcription, by Kate Atkinson:  I thought I would like this book, because I've liked others by this author.  However, it was one of those stories that I just could not get into at all.  I kept picking it up and putting it down, and finally I put it down for the last time.  Too many books out there, to stick with one that you aren't enjoying.

The Ragged Edge of Night, by Olivia Hawker.  I got it from the library a few days ago, and will likely start reading it tonight or tomorrow.  It was recommended here, by Maryc, so I think I'm going to like it.  We usually like the same books! :)

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I just put a hold on the e-book of "Crazy Rich Asians".  I am #243 and the library has 33 copies of the e-book.  Do you think I'll remember why when I finally get it?  ;)

A friend and I are trying to find a mutually convenient time to see the movie.  It's been playing locally for quite a while and I'm hoping we can manage to get there before it goes off.

I'm not reading anything recommendable right now.  Have several things on hold and am slowly inching to the top of the list on some of them.  Others may be like CRA - hopefully in my lifetime!

MarsGal

I finished John Scalzi's Head On the other day. Even though the story revolves around a sport, I enjoyed it. Head On is the second in his Haden's Syndrome series (the first is Lock In)  The stories revolve around the victims of an epidemic of major proportions who became paralyzed to the point of not being able to move or communicate or were partially recovered victims. Enter the direct brain/computer connection, human-form robots which gives them the ability to interact with normal people, and a special internet area set up for Haden's victims to communicate with each other. The main character is a Haden's victim who is also an FBI agent assigned to the Bureau of Haden Affairs. He and his partner investigate various Haden related crimes. I do hope Scalzi writes a few more in this series.

maryc

Hello all,   Life has been moving at a breakneck speed lately.   So much to do and so little time!!! :)    I have been reading some  but finding that when it is time for reading that my eyes and brain seem to think it's time to sleep.   The book I am reading just now is one of a series called The Vatican Chronicles.   The book title is The Mystery of Julia Episcopa by John I. Rigoli and Diane Cummings.   It has quite a bit of biblical history woven into it.   Again it was another referred to me by my brother who is one who enjoys history.    I'm about halfway through and it has held my attention pretty well so far.    "The plot thickens."  Along with reading for pleasure, I've continued to follow up on some of the HOOPLA books on bereavement.    Those books I read in bits and pieces.    For anyone interested in such,  I have a very good one right now called Grief Reflections, A Quiet Book of Comfort by Bobbie Baker.  I'm considering buying this book as the chapters are short and it would be a nice book to turn to for short meditations.   She has a very nice style.
Mary C

Tomereader1

MaryC, if you could PM me with some more titles on Bereavment, I would appreciate it. I think I have exhausted my local library branch's holding on that subject.  Hope you are "dealing" well with this new form of living.  I understand about the reading at night, my eyes think they're supposed to close and let me go to sleep!

CallieOK

MaryC,   I can get Hoopla but have stuck with Epub.   How is it different from that and Overdrive?

maryc

Hello CallieOK,  I haven't used Epub but tried Overdrive and found that books that I search always seem to be at libraries where my card is not valid,  like in Canada or in another part of the state.   I'm not sure what my problem is with that so I have just continued to use HOOPLA as it serves me well.   :thumbup:    I don't think that there is a lot of difference between the programs just what's available for the user where they are.
Mary C

MarsGal

I heard about Hoopla from the Free Library of Philadelphia. FLP subscribes to both Overdrive and Hoopla. My local library system only participates on Overdrive. I don't think lets us borrow movies or music online like Hoopla does. I haven't tried to sign up for Hoopla yet to see if I can borrow through my FLP card.

CallieOK

I can borrow books from the OKC metro library (my local library) through Kindle, OverDrive and Epub without signing up for any specific one.  I would need to sign up for Hoopla and had forgotten it includes movies and music.  Probably wouldn't use it as much.

The library continually adds newly published books but, of course, the waiting list for some 2018 publications is very long.

MaryTX

Marilyne, I was disappointed with THE DOLLHOUSE and didn't finish it.  I got close to halfway and asked myself why was I continuing to read it when I couldn't get interested in it.

I'm now reading Karen Kingsbury's newest WHEN WE WERE YOUNG.  I really enjoy reading all her books.

I'm #10 on the reserve list for Nicholas Sparks' EVERY BREATH and #29 for CRAZY RICH ASIANS.

Callie, I get on the library's reserve list sometimes even before a book has been published but ordered by the library. Sometimes I'm pretty low on the list and other times I'm on top or close :).   

Mary   

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Marilyne

MaryTX - I didn't like The Doll House either!  Like you, I thought it might get better, but I don't have the patience anymore to forge ahead on a book, if I'm not enjoying it.  Too many good ones out there to choose from.  Karen Kingsbury, is a name I don't recognize, but I'll put a hold on When We were Young, and also look on line at her other selections.

MarsGal - Did you finish The Architect's Apprentice, for the SL book discussion?  I didn't get the book and follow along as I sometimes do, but I have looked in a couple of times at the comments. I doubt that I would have stuck with it.

MarsGal

No, I didn't finish it Marilyne. The story (but not the historical background) didn't appeal to me. It took too long to get to the architectural stuff. I saw someone posted that the ending was a bit much.

CallieOK

I stopped trying on "The Architect's Apprentice" after just a few days.  Book didn't hold my interest and neither did the discussion.   I don't think I'm cut out for the in depth analyses and references to/for other reading. 

Mary and Marilyne, so sorry neither of you liked "The Doll House". 

What were you expecting that disappointed you, Mary?   
(BTW,  I sometimes put a hold on books the library doesn't have yet - and have recommended a few others, some of which they bought.

What did you not like that made you run out of patience, Marilyne?   

I'm #8 on the waiting list for "The Masterpiece" by the same author.  Maybe it will be better.

Have finally concluded some business issues that had been hanging over my head desk for several weeks.  Fingers crossed that I'll now to be able to get back to some good reading time.

Marilyne

Callie - I knew I was going to like The Address, before the end of the first chapter.  I’ve always been fascinated with The Dakota, and was anxious to read about it (knowing that the story was historical fiction of course). Although it was a little "far out" at times, I though it was a very compelling story.

I had also heard and read a lot about, The Barbizon, when I was a young woman in the 1950's.   I remember thinking, way back then, about how wonderful it would be to live there.  I think I was expecting something entirely different from, The Doll House?  Maybe more of a standard "chick lit", romantic '50's love story, with lots of complications??  Not sure, but I just didn't like the way it was heading.  I probably didn't give it enough of a chance?? :-\

MaryTX

Callie, I agree with Marilyne.  I loved THE ADDRESS from the beginning but just couldn't get into THE DOLLHOUSE.  I've always thought the Barbizon was an interesting place from what I have read about it.  I probably quit too soon also but there are many books I want to read.

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

CallieOK

I wished the author had picked something other than "seedy jazz clubs" as a contrast.  Maybe she thought the tenements and the posh Upper East Side had been overdone.  (She may have had a point!)

Onward and Upward!

FlaJean

my latest read is “Mind Unraveled” by Kurt Eichenwald.  Kurt is a reporter with Newsweek and it is about his struggle with epilepsy.  It is one of the best books I’ve read in a long time.  I’ll never forget when I was around 10 years old and was playing a board game with my friend and she suddenly had a bad epileptic seizure.  Her mother was just so calm and told me I’d better run along home.  I was frightened and told my mother that Margaret had a fit.  My mother said “she has epilepsy, Jean, and she’ll be ok”.  I’ll never forget that.  Some things are just burned into our memories.

Anyway, the book is well written. When we are healthy and our children are healthy, we don’t think often enough of families that struggle with disabilities of all kinds and how tough it can be to try and live a regular life.

MarsGal

I finished reading Jonathan Moore's Dark Room, which I liked just as much as The Night Market. I am skipping The Poison Artist because it involves serial killings. Moore switches from following a Homicide Detective in that one to a Medical Examiner.The next one, Blood Relations, looks interesting. It follows a PI. All of these books are set in San Francisco, except that the PI in Blood Relations travels to Boston.

Now I am reading Beryl Markham's West with the Night. She wrote very eloquently, almost poetically, about Africa.

maryc

FlaJean,  Your latest read sounds like a good one.     Like you, I've thought of the struggle of families with a child with epilepsy or other chronic problems.  They are special people!!
Mary C

Marilyne

MarsGal - How are you liking, West With the Night, by Beryl Markem?  I read it many years ago, and thought it was very good.  Another book, with a similar theme, is On your Left the Milky Way, by Dorothy Kaucher. Back in the'50's, when I was in college, Kaucher came to the Journalism Dept, specifically to talk to girls who were interested in writing.  About seven of us sat around all afternoon talking with her - not only about her book, but about women writers, and the future of women in journalism. She was a very inspirational woman. Now that I'm remembering her after all these years, I think I'll look on Amazon, and see if they have "Milky Way", and if so, I'd like to buy a copy.  I already looked on my library website, and they don't have it there.

FlaJean - Mind Unraveled, sounds like an excellent book.  I can understand why you would have a special, personal feeling about the subject.  I would like to read it, and will check to see if my library has a copy.