Random Image

Welcome to the Group

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of August 28

Started by JoanFL, August 28, 2016, 04:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Radioman--Glad she is safely home.  Her time in Canada sure flew by.

Thank you, Angelface.

Chia--Thank you.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JaneS

No Joan, I don't usually work on Sunday but I picked up a shift today.  I'm glad it's over.  And with all the things that happened that shouldn't have, I wonder if My Best Friend Upstairs was trying to tell me something.

I hope you've had a lovely day, today and some of it still to come.

Aw, Don, I bet both of you are lonesome!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

June Drabek

Janie, I was surprised to hear you were working on Sunday, is this a first for you ? I hope you have a nice quiet restful evening at home now.

I went to Chapel services, came home, plopped down for a short rest...fell sound asleep for a solid hour. Had to rush downstairs to catch the lunch time that was still available, then home to change into comfy close and have the rest of the day to myself.
So I have been reading for several hours. Eyes are tired now. I was hoping to get some snail mail taken care of, so I will give it a try now.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Lloyd Hammond

Well we are home very tired. good tine but no fish and very tired (both of us). ( 93 º ) see you all Later.

Lloyd

Beverly

Joan - Hope you have had a great day!

Beverly

Lloyd - Happy Belated Birthday! Hope the fishing was great!

CallieOK

Lloyd,  Belated Happy Birthday from me, too

I think I've mentioned that you and my younger son share a birthday.     He was 50.

Molly

JOAN and LLOYD - I wanted to wish you both a year of continued Happiness as you have already celebrated your Birthday - Your SPECIAL DAY as we Irish call it.  In celebration, I've just had a bite of Chocolate in honor of both of you! ;)

RADIOMAN - Glad to hear that your Lady returned safety to Israel.  Did you take some photos while she was visiting which you could share with us?

Forgot to send my Granddaughter's birthday card and $$ yesterday, so will tend to that tomorrow morning.  No excuses on the card, just a lot of love!

Hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend!

JaneS

Molly, it's so nice to see you posting!

June Drabek

Hi Molly, good to see you girl.

I am feeling very tired, so I think I should retire early and go to bed. Tomorrow will be here before we know it.August is already on the way till it will join us next year. It has been a welcome month, now we will soon welcome in Sept.

Good night dear ones. God Bless you all. June.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JaneS

Good Night Everyfriend!  I'm off to Dreamland!  May God bless us, every one!

Denver

:hb2:  H A P P Y    B I R T H D A Y  :hb2:

S W E E T    J O A N

A good Sunday Night HELLO to EVERYFRIEND!

Another busy day that flew by.... I just can not seem to get everything done that I want and need to. 

I apologize for a late greeting to you, JOAN, but at least I did manage to get one done for you on FB before your day was over.

Belated wishes to you, LLOYD.  So happy you got to go to,the lake and enjoy time with your family, but sorry you did not catch any fish. 

JUNE, I, too, loved the food for thought message that Joan shared with us on Saturday.  I truly believe that is the case with many....they are doing their best to show love, but it may not be as much as one wants.  How sweet of your Dori to bring you flowers. 

LARRY, I am happy that Pat seems to be showing some improvement.  Glad you are enjoying the view to watch the home being built across the street.  I bet it is interesting. 

JACKIE, Patti and I talked about you and told her that you always wish her the best.  😍

BTW, news to me that there are self threading needles...I must check that out and see what you all are talking about. 

JUNE, I remember Gert and her hubby Berge very well.  When we were in New York City last year I really thought about them and so wished that they were still with us and I could have met her in person. 

I, too, thought of you today DON as I watched Sunday Morning and the Santa Claus Convention in Branson, MO.  I am sad that your lady has returned home, but I know that you both had a wonderful time while she was there with you. 

We spent the afternoon and a BBQ dinner with Dr. Dave and Family.  Always feel blessed to be with them and enjoy it so much.  We will see them tomorrow afternoon as we are going to baby sit the two youngest kiddos as mom, dad and Matt go to a concert tomorrow night.  We will not see Dave as Michele and Matt will meet him at work and they will then go to the concert. 

It is very late and I must get to bed....I am sorry that I did not comment to all of you, but so want you to know that I enjoy all,of your posts so much.

Pleasant dreams to all, and good morning to you, JACKIE. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's bacon and eggs to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Doctor Visit

A doctor has come to see one of his patients in a hospital. The patient has had major surgery to both of his hands.

"Doctor," says the man excitedly and dramatically holds up his heavily bandaged hands. "The nurse told me that I will be able to play the piano when these bandages come off?"

"I don't see why not," replies the doctor.

"Hmmm, then I better start learning how to read music."

Food For Thought

Report Cards
(by Randy Walker)

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ." - Paul the Apostle (2 Corinthians 5:10)

Report cards are good for making students nervous. I, too, received one from one of my sons when he was 13. It read:

"Dad's Report Card:

Love A
Patience A
Understanding A
Intelligence A
Sense of humor A
Helpfulness A
Kindness A
Wisdom A
Allowances C- "

It was a birthday card, the inside of which read: "Let's see if we can't bring that last grade up a bit, Dad!"

Jokes aside, I wonder if we wouldn't be better if we were regularly graded!

Whenever there is accountability with responsibility the results are usually more effective. For example, in ancient Rome when the scaffolding was removed from a completed Roman arch, the law required the engineer who built it to test its strength by standing beneath it.

The engineer knew his life depended on the quality of his work. Thus, it is no accident that Roman arches have survived for hundreds of years!

Perhaps it would be wise to remind ourselves that each of us is accountable and eventually will stand before God to give an account of how we have lived and served God while here on earth. May each of us hear the Savior say, "Well done good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to choose and do my works in such a way that when they are tested they won't burn up as wood, hay and stubble, but will be, by your grace, as pure gold. Gratefully in Jesus' name, Amen."

Thought of the Day

"Sooner or later we must leave our dream world and face up to the facts of God, sin, and judgment. The Bible says, 'All have sinned and come short of the glory of God' (Romans 3:23)."

- Billy Graham

:smitten:

JoanFL

Thank you for the birthday wishes Jenny, Molly and Beverly.  Thanks again to all those who posted good wishes before I left my computer yesterday.  You all helped to make my day special.

Amy

Good morning everyone..
Another muggy day in the making here. I am off to the city today,taking a friend in to her cardiologist for her check up. Then we will do a bit of shopping, I know two fabric places we will be sorely tempted!!

No word from Gloria yet?? My gosh this has to be so frustrating for her.

Joan, glad you had a happy birthday and thank you for breakfast. The smell of bacon should bring Jackie running :thumbup:

As I sit here typing I am listening to the lonesome call of the loon on the lake......soon they too will be gone south.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Bacon, did somebody mention bacon?..... ;D
...I would run Amy but, my body wont let me.....
" There is no present like the time "

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I slept better last night than I have in months.  I went to bed a bit early and I woke up at 10 of 6 with no bad moments in between and I didn't dream.  I think it's the dreams that make me wake up tired.  Sometimes I wonder what a psychologist would make of them.  Other times, I think I don't want to know the answer to that.

It was down in the high 60s overnight and going up to 90 by 3 p.m. today.  What a range in temperature.  I don't remember such ranges in the past.  I remember it being so hot we couldn't sleep properly.  Then so hot that we needed the A/C on all night. 

I hope Everyfriend has a lovely day full of the things you like best.  I know Amy will.  She's going to the fabric stores.  I'm calling a new groomer and hopefully, getting an appointment for the "shaggy dogs". 

Make it a good one!

P.S. Jackie, Everyone can "run" on here!

Amy

Good morning Jackie..

I knew the smell of bacon would tickle your nose... :2funny:

Enjoy your day.

Jane ,good morning!! Yes, your right but I need to behave in there.I just spent a bit in a shop here that had 80% off..

Enjoy your day.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  How nice of you to take your friend to her appointment.  Aha--two fabric stores to tempt you.  I hope you find some nice bargains.  You can hardly beat the 80% off you already got.  I thought maybe Gloria would call again, but she didn't.

Vanilla-Jackie--Good morning.  Amy was right.  The smell of bacon had you hustling.

Good morning, Janie.  I am glad you slept so well.  Your darling dogs will be even more beautiful after their grooming.

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning we are home no fish.

I'm GOING THRU UN-READ ONES> THIS IS A FAIRLY LONG ONE, BUT IT SURE IS INTERESTING..

On Friday, August 21, 2015 3:54 PM,> wrote:

Interesting story of Iwo Jima...
SIX BOYS - THIRTEEN HANDS - MUST READ

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC, with the eighth grade class from Clinton, Wisconsin where I grew up, to videotape their trip.  I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me.  This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial.  This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history---that of the six brave soldiers raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial.  I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, 'Where are you guys from?'

I told him that we were from Wisconsin.  'Hey, I'm a cheese head, too!  Come gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story.'

It was James Bradley who just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the memorial the following day.  He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who had passed away.  He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up.  I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape.  It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington, DC, but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak.  (Here are his words that night.)

'My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin.  My dad is on that statue, and I wrote a book called 'Flags of Our Fathers'. It is the story of the six boys you see behind me.

'Six boys raised the flag.  The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block.  Harlon was an all-state football player.  He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team.  They were off to play another type of game.  A game called 'War.'  But it didn't turn out to be a game.  Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands.  I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are people who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war.  You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old---and it was so hard that the ones who did make it home never even would talk to their families about it.

(He pointed to the statue)  'You see this next guy?  That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire.  If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph...a photograph of his girlfriend Rene put that in there for protection because he was scared.  He was 18 years old.  It was just boys who won the battle of Iwo Jima. Boys.  Not old men.

'The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank.  Mike is my hero.  He was the hero of all these guys.  They called him the 'old man' because he was so old.  He was already 24.  When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for our country'.  He knew he was talking to little boys...Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

'The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona.  Ira Hayes was one of them who lived to walk off Iwo Jima.  He went into the White House with my dad.  President Truman told him, 'You're a hero'.  He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?'  So, you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together.  Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off alive.  That was Ira Hayes.  He had images of horror in his mind.  Ira Hayes carried the pain home with him and eventually died dead drunk, face down, drowned in a very shallow puddle, at the age of 32 (ten years after this picture was taken).

'The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky.  A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy.  His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store.  Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down.  Then we fed them Epsom salts.  Those cows crapped all night.'  Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy.  Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19.  When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store.  A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm.  The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning.  Those neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

'The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley, from Antigo, Wisconsin, where I was raised.  My dad lived until 1994, but he would never give interviews.  When Walter Cronkite's producers or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say, 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here.  He is in Canada fishing.  No, there is no phone there, sir.  No, we don't know when he is coming back.'  My dad never fished or even went to Canada.  Usually, he was sitting there right at the table eating his Campbell's soup.  But we had to tell the press that he was out fishing.  He didn't want to talk to the press.

'You see, like Ira Hayes, my dad didn't see himself as a hero.  Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and on a monument.  My dad knew better.  He was a medic.  John Bradley from Wisconsin was a combat caregiver.  On Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died.  And when boys died on Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed, without any medication or help with the pain.

'When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero.  When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back.  Did NOT Come Back.'
'So that's the story about six nice young boys.  Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes.  Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps.  My voice is giving out, so I will end here.  Thank you for your time.'

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top.  It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero.  Maybe not a hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

One thing I learned while on tour with my 8th grade students in DC that is not mentioned here is...that if you look at the statue very closely and count the number of 'hands' raising the flag, there are 13.  When the man who made the statue was asked why there were 13, he simply said the 13th hand was the hand of God.

Great story - worth your time - worth every American's time.  Please, pass it on.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Kinda cloudy here this morning.   They say possible t=storms this afternoon, but they said they same yesterday.  Nada......

Amy where do you store all the fabric?  80 percent off, gosh do you wonder how much markup is on fabric?  Enjoy.  I know I love going to hardware stores, can buy everything I see, but boy I can dream.

PT this morning, going to be another busy week.

Lloyd, look at it this way, at least you didn't have to clean those nasty things.....

Janie, glad you had a good nights rest.

Joanie, hope your day goes well.

Jackie, I'll join you having some of that bacon.  I like mine just before it gets crisp, chewy, but no raw fat.

Coffee ready, who wants a cup.

phyllis

Today will be back to the usual and that will be welcome after a busy last couple of weeks.  It is laundry day and I'll be waltzing with the washer and dryer.  I won't even have to cook.  I felt like cooking yesterday so fixed a nice beef roast with Yukon potatoes and stewed tomatoes and zucchini and salty caramel lava cupcakes for dessert.  There were leftovers and all I need to do is reheat.  Easy-Peasy.

Hope it will be a good day for everyone.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Gloria just called.  Her computer went back to HP last Thursday for them to put a new hard drive in it.  She expects it back Thurs. or Fri.

Good morning, Lloyd.  Thanks for the story.

halkel--Good morning.  We just had a shower--it last 5 minutes.:(

Good morning, Phyllis.  You sure did a lot of cooking yesterday.  If you have leftovers today, how about sticking them in the "hidey hole"?

Radioman34

Bubble and I met "Hank Williams" and "Patsy Cline" who, if you don't know, were famous Country Music singers in the fifties. It was a cabaret show and Bubble loved it.  Pics in the photo forum.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is going to be another hot and dry day here. 

Yesterday was a very nice day.  Our minister gave a very good message on being humble.  Our advancing third graders were given Bibles during the church service.  Each was given a children Bible with the pictures and stories and a regular Bible for when they outgrow the children's Bible. 

Today is going to be a full one.  I left a little before 8 am this morning to go to our GP's office to pick up another sample inhaler for Pat.  A prescription for the medicine has been submitted to the CVS/Caremart mail order pharmacy but it takes several days on a new prescription.  She has been without the inhaler for several days now and is really noticing the difference.  There is a Walmart across the road from the doctor's office so I went to the pharmacy there to get Pat some needed she items.  Then I have my noon meeting and finally Pat has a 4 pm chiropractor appointment.  I also have to get things ready for our dinner tonight.  I plan on having tilapia and a vegetable salad or or regular salad and I am not sure what else at this point.  I have already completed the morning chores and just now fixed Pat's breakfast. 

deAngel, "In the Garden" was my mother's favorite hymn and it was sung at her funeral. 

Lloyd, at least you had the enjoyment of fishing without the resulting work of cleaning the fish.

Joan, I really liked the "Food for Thought" for today and have copied it and may use it as a devotional in our Sunday School class. I am glad to hear that Gloria was finally able to send her computer back for a new hard drive. 

Amy, hope you find (or will have found) some good bargains in the two fabric places. 

Hal, in our other house Pat had fabric stored all over the house in different places.  I think here she has pretty much accumulated it in her sewing room walk-in-closet. 

JoanFL

Good morning, Radioman.  I saw the nice picture of you, Bubble and the country star in Photos.

Larry--Good morning.  You sure do have a busy day.  Glad you sometimes can use some of the things I post.

Vanilla-Jackie

Well we all no now that bacon is the magic word.... ;)

Have some body aches and pains today, had some yesterday but today is worse....Its my right rib-cage side, and centre back....slightly hurts when I take deep breaths in, and when I bend in certain positions...I am sure it was caused by how I lay in bed, I am sure come tomorrow it will ease and clear as quick as it came....

Tomorrow it is back to reality, taking our Benji for his monthly vet appointment..we both know what to expect, the cancer to have grown as vet told us that one sign will be,  " depending on which way the lump is growing..." that Benjis toilet will take on a flat and curved shape....which is it doing now, so in time Benji wont be able to get his toilet out, then that will be near to his time....at the moment Benji is still Benji, oblivious to anything going on with his body...we of course are living life on a time-bomb....

Well its our last Bank Holiday weekend of the Summer year, and I haven't been anywhere outside the home.....our weather is pleasantly warm and sunny....Hoping someday this week we will take the dogs back to Lodmoor Country Park for another dog walk....I promised that to Benji....

phyllis

Larry, I think you'll find that when you pick up Pat's inhaler you will be paying considerably more than it used to cost.  My doctor renewed my Rx for Proventil inhaler and when I went to pick it up from the pharmacy the cost was 90.00 for one inhaler.  And on top of that, my Rx insurance company had dropped it from their formulary (probably because the price had gone up so much) so the entire cost would be out of my pocket.  The druggist said, "Wait a minute before you pay that." Then he did some searching for another manufacturer's price and found the same albuterol inhaler made by another company for 50.00!  He saved me quite a bit of money out of pocket.  I was very grateful he went that extra step for me.

Don't get me started on what I think of these drug manufacturers and the insurance companies that are supposed to help us pay for these drugs.  :angry2:
phyllis
Cary,NC

Vanilla-Jackie

Re drugs in UK, we are lucky as seniors as we get free prescriptions, but as other more important drugs go, that have been given the all clear, that becomes a " postcode Lottery " re, depending on where you live in UK, you will either be able to receive a particular " life saving " drug, or you wont.....it wont be available to everyone...